Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,636 members, 7,844,091 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 02:45 PM

Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. - Politics (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. (202063 Views)

The Bad State Of The Hospital Alamieyeseigha Died In (Photo) / See The Beautiful Daughters Of Governor Ajimobi / See The Beautiful And Gallant Nigerian Armed Forces Women...PICTURES (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (50) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 12:27pm On Oct 15, 2012
Francis Obikwelu

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 4:43pm On Oct 15, 2012
Oops! Missed one from earlier. Maria Usifo

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 4:45pm On Oct 15, 2012
Gold medallists in the 4x400m relay @ the Sydney 2000 Olympics - Sunday Bada, Jude Monye, Clement Chukwu and Enefiok Udo-Ubong.

http://www.compassnewspaper.org/index.php/sports/club-league/5828-ioc-decision-to-award-nigeria-4x400m-gold-medal-from-sydney-2000-comes-too-late-for-bada
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 4:47pm On Oct 15, 2012
Enefiok Udo-Ubong

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Nobody: 4:48pm On Oct 15, 2012
Obikwelu formerly of Nigeria now of Portugal sad
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 4:48pm On Oct 15, 2012
Deji Aliu

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 4:55pm On Oct 15, 2012
naijababe: Obikwelu formerly of Nigeria now of Portugal sad

There are quite a few "defectors" in this section. Christy Opara-Thompson (who I had a crush on) decided to "defect" to the United States because she felt that the Nigerian authorities treated her badly. There's the heart wrenching story of Glory Alozie, who was abandoned by Nigerian officials when she needed them most.

Ahead in this section are many more "defectors" such as David Defiagbon.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 4:56pm On Oct 15, 2012
Olabisi Afolabi

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 4:58pm On Oct 15, 2012
Olusoji Fasuba

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 5:01pm On Oct 15, 2012
Damola Osayomi.

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 5:02pm On Oct 15, 2012
Ajoke Odumosu

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 5:04pm On Oct 15, 2012
Blessing Okagbare.

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Nobody: 5:17pm On Oct 15, 2012
naptu2:

There are quite a few "defectors" in this section. Christy Opara-Thompson (who I had a crush on) decided to "defect" to the United States because she felt that the Nigerian authorities treated her badly. There's the heart wrenching story of Glory Alozie, who was abandoned by Nigerian officials when she needed them most.

Ahead in this section are many more "defectors" such as David Defiagbon.

She ran 100m hurdles right? What's her story?
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 5:29pm On Oct 15, 2012
naijababe:

She ran 100m hurdles right? What's her story?

Oh! Sorry, I thought you saw it (I posted it on the last page). I'll give a summary here, but scroll back up to read the full story.

Her fiance was an athlete. They both went to the Sydney Olympics to represent Nigeria. He was killed in a car accident in Sydney, just days before the olympics started. Nigerian officials abandoned her and her fiance's family, even though he was in Sydney to represent Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 5:39pm On Oct 15, 2012
naptu2: Mary Onyali

Wow...pretty woman smiley
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Nobody: 5:41pm On Oct 15, 2012
naptu2: Mary Onyali, Beatrice Utondu, Christy Opara-Thompson & Faith Idehen

This picture gets me every time.

naptu2:

Oh! Sorry, I thought you saw it (I posted it on the last page). I'll give a summary here, but scroll back up to read the full story.

Her fiance was an athlete. They both went to the Sydney Olympics to represent Nigeria. He was killed in a car accident in Sydney, just days before the olympics started. Nigerian officials abandoned her and her fiance's family, even though he was in Sydney to represent Nigeria.

Damn!sad Nigeria, Nigeriaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Nobody: 5:50pm On Oct 15, 2012
naptu2:

Now I remember cry she still ran her race despite the bereavement. The Nigerian Olympic Committee is as corrupt as NFA if not even more. Remember Joseph Dosu, also horribly abandoned.

If Nigeria were a woman, she'd have long been stoned to death cos no one will believe she's not a witch angry angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 5:53pm On Oct 15, 2012
naijababe:

Now I remember cry she still ran her race despite the bereavement. The Nigerian Olympic Committee is as corrupt as NFA if not even more. Remember Joseph Dosu, also horribly abandoned.

If Nigeria were a woman, she'd have long been stoned to death cos no one will believe she's not a witch angry angry angry angry

She had to pay for the body to be flown back to Nigeria, cos Nigerian officials refused to pay.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Nobody: 5:56pm On Oct 15, 2012
Kanuuuuuuuu!!!!

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 5:56pm On Oct 15, 2012
naptu2: Glory Alozie

Just before the Olympic Games (Sydney 2000), her fiancee, Hyginus Ananyo Anugo (a Nigerian athlete), was run over by a car close to the games village. He died.

The Nigerian authorities did not do anything to help the victim's relatives, even though he was in Sydney to represent the country. Glory Alozie had to pay for the corpse to be flown back to Nigeria.

After that incident, she vowed never to compete for Nigeria. On July 6, 2001 she officially became a Spanish citizen.
I wouldnt be surprised if it was just one or two insensitive officials that refused to help. The problem with Nigeria is not the leaders but the people themselves
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Nobody: 5:56pm On Oct 15, 2012
Can we get a picture of Babayaro?

Chelsea legend!
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Nobody: 5:58pm On Oct 15, 2012
naptu2:

She had to pay for the body to be flown back to Nigeria, cos Nigerian officials refused to pay.

I remember, made headlines. She and some other Olympiads contributed the money with the Oloshious officials lookiing the other way angry angry angry. Don't blame her for defecting o jare
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Nobody: 5:58pm On Oct 15, 2012
I'll never forget this picture - I watched this game with my pops and brother.

Nigeria made history that night - salute!!

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Nobody: 6:01pm On Oct 15, 2012
naptu2: Efan Ekoku

London bloke - Wimbledon!
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 6:01pm On Oct 15, 2012
stillwater:

This picture gets me every time.

Damn!sad Nigeria, Nigeriaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!
Dont shout too much. By now nothing about this country should surprise you
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 6:01pm On Oct 15, 2012
shymexx: Can we get a picture of Babayaro?

Chelsea legend!

Yes! I have to find that Babayaro pic (although he's in some of the olympics pics I posted, I have another pic of him celebrating after scoring a goal @ Atlanta '96).
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Nobody: 6:03pm On Oct 15, 2012
naptu2: Nwankwo Kanu

Olympics in 1996 against Brazil!!

Kanu scored a wonderful goal to tie the game and another amazing goal to win the game...

I went nuts that morning...

Naija used to be very good in football back in the day... sad
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 6:06pm On Oct 15, 2012
naijababe:

You failed to add "set ablaze". Stoned to death AND set ablaze. This is Nigeria we are talking about, remember?
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 6:05am On Oct 16, 2012
Ajibola Adeoye. 4 time paralympic gold medallist (2 @ Barcelona '92 & 2 @ Atlanta '96).

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 6:16am On Oct 16, 2012
Adekunle Adesoji. Paralympics Gold medallist (2004) silver medallist (2008), Commonwealth Games gold medallist (2002 & 2006) and commonwealth record holder.

Tribute also to Adekundo Adesoji (triple gold medalist at the Athens 2004 Paralympics)
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 6:23am On Oct 16, 2012
(Slight detour) Celestine Babayaro.

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 7:56am On Oct 16, 2012
shymexx:

London bloke - Wimbledon!

Memories! I wasn't impressed with their defence, but they had a fantastic strike force; Efan Ekoku, Marcus Gayle and *** Euell (can't remember his first name).

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (50) (Reply)

2019 Presidential Election Results Announcement By Mahmood Yakubu, INEC Chairman / List Of Buhari's 36 Ministers And Their Portfolios / Jega To Announce Presidential Election Results: Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.