Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,560 members, 7,827,089 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:56 AM

Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. - Politics (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. (201834 Views)

The Bad State Of The Hospital Alamieyeseigha Died In (Photo) / See The Beautiful Daughters Of Governor Ajimobi / See The Beautiful And Gallant Nigerian Armed Forces Women...PICTURES (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (50) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 2:28am On Oct 17, 2012
naptu2: DDick Tiger (Richard Ihetu).

Dick Tiger celebrates after defeating Gene Fullmer

Dick Tiger in New York

He became the "in house boxer" @ Madison Square Garden in New York.
Lmao!! 'Joystick' Tiger indeed. NL word censor is som'n else cheesy cheesy. Naptu ma niqqa,next time type 'Deek' instead of 'D.ick' cheesy grin
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 2:31am On Oct 17, 2012
Ishilove:
Lmao!! 'Joystick' Tiger indeed. NL word censor is som'n else cheesy cheesy. Naptu ma niqqa,next time type 'Deek' instead of 'D.ick' cheesy grin
LWKMD!! Pyguru eh!!! Or is it the NL word censor at work here?? Which one be 'manliness' again? shocked undecided

I typed Ddick, not 'manliness' o!! shocked cheesy cheesy grin
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 3:43am On Oct 17, 2012
Ishilove:
LWKMD!! Pyguru eh!!! Or is it the NL word censor at work here?? Which one be 'manliness' again? shocked undecided

I typed Ddick, not 'manliness' o!! shocked cheesy cheesy grin

grin grin grin rofl
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 5:19am On Oct 17, 2012
Mfon Udoka
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 5:21am On Oct 17, 2012
Ime Udoka
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 5:22am On Oct 17, 2012
Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwan

Bronze medalist, African Basketball Championship (1979)
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 5:24am On Oct 17, 2012
Mactabene Amachree
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 5:26am On Oct 17, 2012
Olumide Oyedeji

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 5:28am On Oct 17, 2012
Michael "The Kandi Man" Olowokandi

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 5:30am On Oct 17, 2012
Tunji Awojobi
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 5:32am On Oct 17, 2012
Emeka Okafor

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 5:34am On Oct 17, 2012
Julius Nwosu
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 5:35am On Oct 17, 2012
Yinka Dare
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 7:11am On Oct 17, 2012
naptu2: Michael "The Kandi Man" Olowokandi

I wonder where this dude is. Attractive fellow
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 7:32am On Oct 17, 2012
Double post
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 7:49am On Oct 17, 2012
naptu2: DDick Tiger (Richard Ihetu).

Dick Tiger in New York

He became the "in house boxer" @ Madison Square Garden in New York.
Whatever happened to 'Joystick' Tiger (grin) and Hogan Bassey?? I think I read somewhere that the Hogan Bassey was later abandoned in illness and penury (can't be too sure now).

Where has the glory of the former days of the Nigerian sports gone to?!? This is so disgraceful angry
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 7:58am On Oct 17, 2012
Ishilove:
Whatever happened to 'Joystick' Tiger (grin) and Hogan Bassey?? I think I read somewhere that the Hogan Bassey was later abandoned in illness and penury (can't be too sure now).

Where has the glory of the former days of the Nigerian sports gone to?!? This is so disgraceful angry

Hogan Bassey was the chief national boxing coach for a very long time (that's how I first knew him). I can't remember clearly, but I think he later fell ill, was abandoned by the government and NBB of C and eventually died from his illness.

DDick Tiger sympathised with the Biafran side during the civil war. I think he even volunteered for the Biafran army (can't remember exactly). The federal government stripped him of his national honours for this. He eventually died broke in the US.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 8:10am On Oct 17, 2012
NOTE: if I remember correctly, his ban from Nigeria was lifted so that he could come home to die, but he died in the US before he could be brought home.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Dick Tiger CBE (born Richard Ihetu August 14, 1929 - December 14, 1971) was a boxer from Ubahu village, Amaigbo, Nigeria, who emigrated to Liverpool and later to the United States of America. Tiger was a member of the Igbo ethnic group.[1] Tiger was a talented boxer, commercial venturer, and Biafran rebel.

Dick Tiger was one of the greatest fighters to come out of Africa. He became a two-time undisputed world middleweight titlist and helped keep boxing alive during the 1950s boxing industry recession. Tiger earned an undisputed Light-Heavyweight world championship. In 1962, Tiger won the world middleweight boxing championship.

On May 20, 1965, Tiger floored Rubin "Hurricane" Carter three times and won a unanimous 10-round decision. Tiger took on Gene Fullmer and won the world's Middleweight title by decision in fifteen. Later in a rematch he drew in fifteen and in the rubber match won by knockout in seven rounds.

Tiger was an "in-house fighter" at New York City's Madison Square Garden.

Retirement and death

After retiring from boxing, Tiger worked as a guard at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. One day, he felt a strong pain in his back. Tested by doctors, he was diagnosed with liver cancer. Tiger had been banned by the Nigerian government in his country because of his involvement in the Biafran movement; however, the ban was lifted immediately after news about his condition arrived in Nigeria.

He died of liver cancer on December 14, 1971; he was 42 years old.[2]

Tiger developed a portfolio of investments before the outbreak of the Nigerian Civil War. Tiger was appointed CBE by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, but he returned his insignia as a protest for what he perceived as a lack of support by Great Britain to the Biafran cause.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 8:25am On Oct 17, 2012
Hogan "Kid" Bassey MBE (June 3, 1932 – January 26, 1998) was Nigeria's first world boxing champion. He was born Okun Asuguo Bassey on the banks of the Cross River in Creek Town, Calabar, Nigeria.[1] He took the name Hogan Kid Bassey when he turned professional as a boxer. He possessed a tremendous heart in and out of the ring and that rarest of boxing skills - a true knockout punch.

Boxing career

After 14 contests in Nigeria, Bassey went to Liverpool,[2] England in 1952 and before long had impressed everyone with his pleasant manner outside the ring and his powerful punching in the ring.

After winning the Empire featherweight championship he also won the world crown by his defeat of French Algerian Cherif Hamia in Paris, France in 1957. He lost the title to U.S. fighter David S. "Davey" Moore on March 18, 1959.

During his career he fought Billy "Spider" Kelly, Percy Lewis, Tommy Profitt, Sammy McCarthy, Ricardo Moreno, and Willie Pep.[3]

Life after boxing

In 1959 he was awarded the MBE[4] following his world title win and went on to become a respected coach in Nigeria who awarded him the country's highest honour in 1973. He died peacefully in the early hours of January 26, 1998 at his home in Apapa, Lagos
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 12:23pm On Oct 17, 2012
Atanda Musa
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 12:31pm On Oct 17, 2012
Bose Kaffo

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 12:33pm On Oct 17, 2012
Funke Oshonaike

Segun Toriola
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 12:36pm On Oct 17, 2012
Nduka "The Duke" Odizor

1 Share

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 1:41pm On Oct 17, 2012
naptu2: NOTE: if I remember correctly, his ban from Nigeria was lifted so that he could come home to die, but he died in the US before he could be brought home.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Dick Tiger CBE (born Richard Ihetu August 14, 1929 - December 14, 1971) was a boxer from Ubahu village, Amaigbo, Nigeria, who emigrated to Liverpool and later to the United States of America.

Dick Tiger was one of the greatest fighters to come out of Africa.

Retirement and death

After retiring from boxing, Tiger worked as a guard at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. One day, he felt a strong pain in his back. Tested by doctors, he was diagnosed with liver cancer. Tiger had been banned by the Nigerian government in his country because of his involvement in the Biafran movement; however, the ban was lifted immediately after news about his condition arrived in Nigeria.

He died of liver cancer on December 14, 1971; he was 42 years old.[2]

Hmmm...at this rate I will start thinking of this man as Dick Tiger, rather than Ddick Tiger. Nawa for NL undecided.

Didn't he invest? Why on earth did he die broke? . Rather unfortunate he ended up the way he did.

Thanks naptu2 for the info *big hugs* smiley
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Nobody: 1:42pm On Oct 17, 2012
Bose Kaffo.............babe after my heart, she's the reason why I took interest in table tennis. Where is she now?
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 1:48pm On Oct 17, 2012
naptu2: Hogan "Kid" Bassey MBE (June 3, 1932 – January 26, 1998) was Nigeria's first world boxing champion. He was born Okun Asuguo Bassey on the banks of the Cross River in Creek Town, Calabar, Nigeria.[1] He took the name Hogan Kid Bassey when he turned professional as a boxer. He possessed a tremendous heart in and out of the ring and that rarest of boxing skills - a true knockout punch.

Life after boxing

In 1959 he was awarded the MBE[4] following his world title win and went on to become a respected coach in Nigeria who awarded him the country's highest honour in 1973. He died peacefully in the early hours of January 26, 1998 at his home in Apapa, Lagos
If dying ill and penniless is 'dying peacefully', then I wonder what dying 'unpeacefully' is undecided. What is it with these sportspeople?? Is it that they couldn't manage their finances proplerly that's why 7 out of 10 sportsmen always ended up broke?? undecided
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 2:00pm On Oct 17, 2012
Ishilove:
Hmmm...at this rate I will start thinking of this man as Dick Tiger, rather than Ddick Tiger. Nawa for NL undecided.

Didn't he invest? Why on earth did he die broke? . Rather unfortunate he ended up the way he did.

Thanks naptu2 for the info *big hugs* smiley

grin @ "Joystick Tiger".

My pleasure *big hug*
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 2:02pm On Oct 17, 2012
naijababe: Bose Kaffo.............babe after my heart, she's the reason why I took interest in table tennis. Where is she now?

She was interviewed on tv just before the last olympics. She was talking about Nigeria's chances @ the Olympics. Not sure what she's doing now.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 4:21pm On Oct 17, 2012
Peter Akaksiaka (Nigeria's golf legend).

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 4:23pm On Oct 17, 2012
Listening to BBC Radio right now. DDick Tiger's daughter just wrote a book about her father.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 4:24pm On Oct 17, 2012
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 4:27pm On Oct 17, 2012
Hahahahaahahahahaha!

Tiger's American manager told him not to stage the match in Nigeria because "it's too hot and the natives won't understand our kind of english".

Tiger replied that Nigerians are not cannibals and do not live in trees.

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (50) (Reply)

2019 Presidential Election Results Announcement By Mahmood Yakubu, INEC Chairman / List Of Buhari's 36 Ministers And Their Portfolios / Jega To Announce Presidential Election Results: Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.