Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,314 members, 7,864,502 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 07:28 PM

Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. - Politics (36) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. (202346 Views)

The Bad State Of The Hospital Alamieyeseigha Died In (Photo) / See The Beautiful Daughters Of Governor Ajimobi / See The Beautiful And Gallant Nigerian Armed Forces Women...PICTURES (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (50) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 6:41pm On Nov 11, 2012
The carnival was a time of fun, laughter and merriment. However, from the 1970s to the early 2000s, the great Lagos festivals of Carnival, Eyo and Egungun were marred by violence between youths from different sections of Lagos or groups of masquerades. These festivals became synonymous with injury, destruction and death.

The Lagos State Government, headed by Babatunde Fashola, decided to get involved in organising the Carnival and Eyo Festival in order to ensure that activities are conducted in a safe and secure environment and that it serves as a means to attract tourists to the state. Government involvement has returned the carnival and eyo festival to what they were known for; laughter, music, dancing and merriment.

Spidermobile
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Nobody: 6:44pm On Nov 11, 2012
naptu2: Does anybody know the name of the Lagos masquerade that wears a mat? I thought it was an egungun when I was a kid.

ain't that Agemo? I was hoping you'd feature Gelede at some point
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 6:45pm On Nov 11, 2012
Government agencies such as LASTMA, LASAMBUS, RRS, Operation Mesa, Neighbourhood Watch, etc are fully mobilised to ensure that the event is hitch free. Corporate bodies are involved in sponsoring segments of the carnival, with some providing free food, drinks and souvenirs for celebrants. BRT buses convey members of the public to the Tafawa Balewa Square free of charge. There are also open top double-decker buses that give tourists a great view of the festivities. Famous musicians such as 9ice also perform at the carnival.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/677276_free20BRT_jpg06dbf2da5449afbddb4abebc515af6b1
BRT (free Lagbus rides).
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 6:47pm On Nov 11, 2012
naijababe:

ain't that Agemo? I was hoping you'd feature Gelede at some point

Gosh! Thank you for reminding me. I took pictures of Gelede at the carnival. I planned to post them, but I've forgotten.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 6:50pm On Nov 11, 2012
naptu2:

Spidermobile
More like Okadamobile undecided
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 7:02pm On Nov 11, 2012
A new innovation was added to the celebration of carnival with the introduction of the junior carnival. Primary and Secondary schools on Lagos Island are invited to send students to represent their schools at the junior carnival.

The procession usually kicks off at the Tafawa Balewa Square. Some floats then proceed along Awolowo Road up to Falomo Roundabout and back to Tafawa Balewa Square. Another kick off point is Campos Square on Lagos Island. Celebrants parade down Igbosere Road, Broad Street, Catholic Mission Street, Marina Street and on to Tafawa Balewa Square. Some floats go through Ozumba Mbadiwe Road and Ahmadu Bello Way on Victoria Island on their way to the Tafawa Balewa Square.

Bumblebee
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 7:11pm On Nov 11, 2012
The costumes are made by people from the Lagos State Skills Acquisition Centre and are given to participants for free (sponsors cover the cost).

Swan
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 7:13pm On Nov 11, 2012

RRS

The Dragon
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 3:00am On Nov 12, 2012
The Lagos Carnival is part of the Lagos Black Heritage Festival. Events of the Black Heritage Festival include a water regatta, gathering of masquerades from across South West Nigeria, art exhibition and events at the Badagry Slave Port and the Freedom Park on Broad Street.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 7:00am On Nov 12, 2012
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 8:36am On Nov 12, 2012
[size=14pt]Gelede[/size]

Gelede is an annual festival honouring “our mothers” (awon iya wa), not so much for their motherhood, but as female elders. It takes place when the dry season ends (March–May) among the Yoruba people of south-west Nigeria and neighbouring southeast Benin.

The celebration is recognizing the power and spiritual capacity women have in society. The performances are given by men, wearing masks that feature sculpted images on it, These scenes can be of animals and people or sewing machines and drums. The mask is one of a pair worn together by men masquerading as women to amuse, please and placate the mothers who are considered very powerful, and whom may use their powers for good or destructive purposes. These powers are especially linked to childbirth. The abilities they possess may be activated either consciously or unconsciously. Because of the Gelede performance, the community as a whole can acknowledge the power held by women.[1]

The Gelede ceremony involves carefully choreographed dance, singing and music, and especially drumming. Dozens of masquerading pairs may take part. The daytime festival is held in the marketplace, and is preceded the night before by an Efe ceremony at which male masks are used by ‘jesters’ who make satirical performances including social comment.

Gelede probably originated in the late 18th or early 19th century. It may be associated with the change from a matriarchal to a patriarchal society, but then one might expect it to have older beginnings.

The Gelede ceremony may also take place at the funerals of cult members or in times of drought or other serious situations which are thought to have been brought about by malevolent witchcraft.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelede
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 8:37am On Nov 12, 2012
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 8:39am On Nov 12, 2012
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 8:49am On Nov 12, 2012
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 9:15am On Nov 12, 2012
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 9:16am On Nov 12, 2012
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 9:19am On Nov 12, 2012

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Nobody: 9:40am On Nov 12, 2012
Thank you for the Gelede pictures. I can't tell you how much of my time I spent watching Gelede as a child, no one has time for such things anymore sad, thanks to the arabs and jews lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 11:54am On Nov 12, 2012
naijababe: Thank you for the Gelede pictures. I can't tell you how much of my time I spent watching Gelede as a child, no one has time for such things anymore sad, thanks to the arabs and jews lipsrsealed

My pleasure smiley
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 11:58am On Nov 12, 2012
For me the iconic carnival colours have always been the green and gold of Campos Square (the Brazilians) and the red and white of Lafiagi. These districts have had these colours as far back as I can remember. I don't know how the other districts got their colours.

You can see more Carnival 2012 pictures here https://www.nairaland.com/910344/easter-monday-pictures-lagos-carnival
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 12:57pm On Nov 12, 2012
Ekpe
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 9:56pm On Nov 12, 2012
Ekpo Masquerade from Akwa Ibom State

Very scary masquerade and one of my favourites.

I once saw a man doing his business in the bush, when the Ekpo Masquerade appeared close to him. The guy fled, forgetting to clean up or dress up properly.

They have a way of sneaking up on you, despite the fact that they've got bells tied to their feet. The way they strike their cutlasses against the tarmac could put the fear of God in you.

You know they are around when you hear those bells clanging and kids screaming Ekpo!
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 10:00pm On Nov 12, 2012
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 10:04pm On Nov 12, 2012
[img]http://3.bp..com/-OJcX5H9ZH8g/Tb1unNCXj_I/AAAAAAAAMZY/pocLgxnOEMI/s1600/Creek%2BTown%2BYouth%2BGroup%252C%2BEkpo%2BMasquerade%252C%2BCalabar%252C%2BNigeria%252C%2B2005.jpg[/img]
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by makinde3: 10:22pm On Nov 12, 2012
Interesting
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 5:52am On Nov 13, 2012
Abuja
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 7:01am On Nov 13, 2012
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 8:33am On Nov 13, 2012
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 8:55am On Nov 13, 2012
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 8:58am On Nov 13, 2012

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (50) (Reply)

2019 Presidential Election Results Announcement By Mahmood Yakubu, INEC Chairman / List Of Buhari's 36 Ministers And Their Portfolios / Jega To Announce Presidential Election Results: Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.