Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,351 members, 7,839,619 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 03:11 AM

Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. - Politics (39) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. (202007 Views)

The Bad State Of The Hospital Alamieyeseigha Died In (Photo) / See The Beautiful Daughters Of Governor Ajimobi / See The Beautiful And Gallant Nigerian Armed Forces Women...PICTURES (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (50) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 2:29pm On Nov 23, 2012
Oxford Cabin Biscuits.

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Nobody: 2:53pm On Nov 23, 2012
^ Pako!!! Boarding school runs for the likes of me. The ajebos always had Shortbread and Richtea

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Katsumoto: 3:46pm On Nov 23, 2012
naijababe: ^ Pako!!! Boarding school runs for the likes of me. The ajebos always had Shortbread and Richtea

LMAO grin grin grin grin

Shortbread or any other nice biscuit didn't last more than the first day of term. At least in Boys schools.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Nobody: 4:04pm On Nov 23, 2012
naijababe: ^ Pako!!! Boarding school runs for the likes of me. The ajebos always had Shortbread and Richtea

fake buta cheesy

mcvities and kellogs cheesy
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Nobody: 4:14pm On Nov 23, 2012
oyb:

fake buta cheesy

mcvities and kellogs cheesy

Kellogs lohun lohun, me na garri, sugar and groundnut if I am lucky runs.

Katsumoto:

LMAO grin grin grin grin

Shortbread or any other nice biscuit didn't last more than the first day of term. At least in Boys schools.

Usually lasted till the last month before the end of term. After the last visiting day of term, na gberefu everybody dey. Paki and ajebo levels go kon equal grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Akanbiedu(m): 4:16pm On Nov 23, 2012

Even the pako, some of us didn't see. Thank God for the free primary education sha.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Nobody: 4:35pm On Nov 23, 2012
Akanbi_edu:

Even the pako, some of us didn't see. Thank God for the free primary education sha.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin. Abeg jo! I no dey compete for 'pakiness' with you o. My school was free too na
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Katsumoto: 4:42pm On Nov 23, 2012
naijababe:

Kellogs lohun lohun, me na garri, sugar and groundnut if I am lucky runs.

Usually lasted till the last month before the end of term. After the last visiting day of term, na gberefu everybody dey. Paki and ajebo levels go kon equal grin

Last month before end of term. !!!!! shocked shocked shocked

You didn't have wicked (from the pits of hell) seniors? I stopped taking grub to school once I realized that it wasn't safe from wicked seniors and 'pako' mates. I requested money instead, like the other clever students. To last that long, one either had to store with teachers or have regular supplies.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Nobody: 4:44pm On Nov 23, 2012
Katsumoto:

Last month before end of term. !!!!! shocked shocked shocked

You didn't have wicked (from the pits of hell) seniors? I stopped taking grub to school once I realized that it wasn't safe from wicked seniors and 'pako' mates. I requested money instead, like the other clever students. To last that long, one either had to store with teachers or have regular supplies.

Katsy baby, I was paki now. I am only telling you how the ajebos run things
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 8:02pm On Nov 23, 2012
Apex Mill
Onward Paper Mill

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Nobody: 8:21pm On Nov 23, 2012
ONWARD notebook! Yay!!!

O - Ole
N - Ni
W - Wale
A - Aji
R - Ruler
D - Dada

E - Ede
X - times
E - Ede
R - Rashidi
C - Coni
I - Iya
S - Segun
E - Elere
B - Boolu
O - Odabo
O - Odabo
K - Kayode

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 8:30pm On Nov 23, 2012
naijababe: ONWARD notebook! Yay!!!

O - Ole
N - Ni
W - Wale
A - Aji
R - Ruler
D - Dada

E - Ede
X - times
E - Ede
R - Rashidi
C - Coni
I - Iya
S - Segun
E - Elere
B - Boolu
O - Odabo
O - Odabo
K - Kayode

grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Katsumoto: 8:40pm On Nov 23, 2012
Naptu

Fantastic thread.

I am guessing you are a Lagos Prince like Dudu_Negro (Negro_ntns).

Do you have any material on Popo Aguda (I am sure you know the place well)?

Perhaps Dudu_Negro can provide some material as well.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Katsumoto: 8:41pm On Nov 23, 2012
naijababe: ONWARD notebook! Yay!!!

O - Ole
N - Ni
W - Wale
A - Aji
R - Ruler
D - Dada

E - Ede
X - times
E - Ede
R - Rashidi
C - Coni
I - Iya
S - Segun
E - Elere
B - Boolu
O - Odabo
O - Odabo
K - Kayode

What is that? shocked
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Nobody: 8:55pm On Nov 23, 2012
Katsumoto:

What is that? shocked

Onward Exercise Book! That's the rhyme for the letters back in the day grin
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 9:09pm On Nov 23, 2012
Katsumoto: Naptu

Fantastic thread.

I am guessing you are a Lagos Prince like Dudu_Negro (Negro_ntns).

Do you have any material on Popo Aguda (I am sure you know the place well)?

Perhaps Dudu_Negro can provide some material as well.

Thank you very much. Hopefully I'll have something on the Campos area by tomorrow morning.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 9:35pm On Nov 23, 2012
Flashlight Banger.

A couple were at a dark junction, probably whispering sweet nothings to each other. We were on the other side of the wall, positioning ourselves.

The first banger exploded on the north side of the street and the couple ran southwards. They had only taken a few steps when the second banger exploded on the south side of the street. The couple stood transfixed. More bangers exploded across the four cardinal points. The boy fled, leaving the girl behind. It was quite wicked, but I couldn't stop laughing.

The local thug stood at the junction. Although he was just in his mid-teens he was already quite infamous across the neighbourhood. Some people were scared of him. Not me.

I watched from afar as he donned the (egungun) masquerade outfit. He and his gang started extorting money from passersby. I saw an opportunity smiley

I went into the compound, got my flashlight banger and was about to strike, when one of the security guards saw me. He encouraged me. I lit that thing and threw it over the wall.

I actually heard them run! Egungun run? Abomination! But he ran.

Curious, I went to the gate. I was behind the gate and behind the guards. He finally came to the gate and started issuing threats at me. I was happy!

It was around 7:30 at night. I snuck up behind the block of flats. They were at the taps, fetching water. I could recognise their voices. I needed one last fix of adrenaline before going home.

I snuck up really close, but they still didn't know I was there. I lit one and using my favourite pitching move, let it fly. I heard someone exclaim "banger!" And buckets and slippers hitting the ground. I didn't wait to see the result. I'll find out tomorrow. Right now, I'm going HOME!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Katsumoto: 10:03pm On Nov 23, 2012
Just went through the entire thread; once again, fantastic thread.

naptu2:

Thank you very much. Hopefully I'll have something on the Campos area by tomorrow morning.

Thanks
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by olafolarin(m): 10:59pm On Nov 23, 2012
Hakeem Kuku(Now Hassan)
Former African Junior Table Tennis Champion

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by tpia1: 8:24am On Nov 24, 2012
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 9:52am On Nov 24, 2012
UAC

The United African Company (one of the successors of the Royal Niger Company) was the largest non-oil company in Nigeria in the 1970s and '80s. Being the Chairman of UAC or the Managing Director of Shell (the largest oil company) was just like being the President of Nigeria (indeed, Chief Ernest Shonekan, who was UAC Chairman, was selected to be the Head of State and Head of the Interim National Government of Nigeria). One of my favourite past times was to enumerate the various UAC subsidiaries and brands. At various times they have included: -

1) Bordpak: Paper packaging, including packaging for ice creams, fruit juices, etc)

2) Federated Motors Industries Ltd: Bedford trucks, etc. It later became a part of UAC motors.

3) Kingsway Stores of Nigeria Ltd: Department stores, malls, supermarkets, snackbars, etc. (I have a picture of one of their adverts, but I'm having problems posting it).

4) Kingsway Chemists of Nigeria Ltd.

5) G.B Ollivant (Nigeria) Ltd: Grocery & hardware store.

6) UAC (Technical) Ltd: Industrial machines, heavy duty electricity generators, etc.

7) Premier Packaging Ltd

cool UAC properties: 1004 Estate, Golden Tulip Hotel (former Festac '77/Durbar Hotel), UAC Pleasure Gardens, Abebe Court, Cable Point Estate Lekki, etc.

9) Spring Waters Nigeria: SWAN Spring Water, Gossy, SWAN Orange, Pineapple and Apple (It later became a part of UAC Foods).

10) UAC Motors: GM Nigeria (Isuzu, Chevrolet and Cadillac), Niger Motors, etc

11) MDS Logistics: Haulage, etc, primarily for UAC subsidiaries.

12) Vono: Mattresses, pillows, bed frames, foam products, etc.

13) AJ Seward: "For skin, hair and beauty care" (hair cream, body lotion, face powder, pomade, etc. I can't remember the brand names).

14) CAP PLC (previously known as Chemical and Allied Products Limited, CAPL): Paints and other chemical products. (Forgive me, I've just got to sing)

CAPL you and me/ we all believe in quality/ there are all kinds of people in the CAPL family.

15) UAC Foods: Gala Sausage Rolls, Kingsway Rendezvous, MR Biggs, Satis Beaf Sausage, Funtime Coconut Chips, Funtime Cup Cakes, Supreme Ice Cream, Wall's Ice Cream (forgive me, I've got to sing)

Wall's Ice Cream especially creamy/ Wall's Ice Cream such fun to eat/ Wall's Ice Cream is good for you/ Wall's Ice Cream the cream of ice creams.

And many more.

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Enigma(m): 10:00am On Nov 24, 2012
Superb work naptu2 (and others); simply fantastic thread. Una really really do well . . . . and tap, and river sef!

Re Sura de tailor song, more lines go

Sura de tailor
Ẹspat in sọọrọ and buba o (expert in . . )
A trayal will kọnfins you (a trial will convince . . . )

Re planta ad, further line of the song goes

'The rich creamy Planta with that best butter taste for you'

One or two things (out of gazillions) I'd like to see

Advert for Schweppes Bitter Lemon ("it's a fresh cool world . . . etc; 17 kobo a bottle of the shelf, liquid contents only)

Desperate for this one: Igbo song by Tony Okoroji (translated 'I will buy lace for my mama' etc etc) possibly called "mama and papa" from album of same name.

cool
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 10:10am On Nov 24, 2012
Enigma: Superb work naptu2 (and others); simply fantastic thread. Una really really do well . . . . and tap, and river sef!

Re Sura de tailor song, more lines go

Sura de tailor
Ẹspat in sọọrọ and buba o (expert in . . )
A trayal will kọnfins you (a trial will convince . . . )

Re planta ad, further line of the song goes

'The rich creamy Planta with that best butter taste for you'

One or two things (out of gazillions) I'd like to see

Advert for Schweppes Bitter Lemon ("it's a fresh cool world . . . etc; 17 kobo a bottle of the shelf, liquid contents only)

Desperate for this one: Igbo song by Tony Okoroji (translated 'I will buy lace for my mama' etc etc) possibly called "mama and papa" from album of same name.

cool

Thank you, thank you and thank you sooo much!

Schweppes Golden Orange was my favourite! I was broken hearted when it disappeared from the market.

Thanks for the lyrics too. Reminded of Sura and Major.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 10:16am On Nov 24, 2012
UACN above. I forgot to add -

UAC has helped to nurture the fortunes of some of Nigeria's wealthiest families.

1) Dantata/Dangote: Alhassan Dantata's business got a big boost when he got contracts to supply UAC (Royal Niger Company) groundnuts, kola nuts, etc.

2) Murray-Bruce: Mulligan Murray-Bruce (Ben Bruce's father) was a UAC executive who did so well that upon retiring he was given Domino Stores to run.

3) Abebe: Sir Christopher Abebe (Stella Obasanjo's father) was Chairman of UAC (also Chairman of Nigerian Breweries) in the 1960s/'70s. He did so well, that several UAC and Nigerian Breweries facilities are named after him (Abebe Court, Bourdillon Road, Ikoyi and Abebe Village, Igamu).
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 10:16am On Nov 24, 2012
naptu2: Flashlight Banger.

A couple were at a dark junction, probably whispering sweet nothings to each other. We were on the other side of the wall, positioning ourselves.

The first banger exploded on the north side of the street and the couple ran southwards. They had only taken a few steps when the second banger exploded on the south side of the street. The couple stood transfixed. More bangers exploded across the four cardinal points. The boy fled, leaving the girl behind. It was quite wicked, but I couldn't stop laughing.

The local thug stood at the junction. Although he was just in his mid-teens he was already quite infamous across the neighbourhood. Some people were scared of him. Not me.

I watched from afar as he donned the (egungun) masquerade outfit. He and his gang started extorting money from passersby. I saw an opportunity smiley

I went into the compound, got my flashlight banger and was about to strike, when one of the security guards saw me. He encouraged me. I lit that thing and threw it over the wall.

I actually heard them run! Egungun run? Abomination! But he ran.

Curious, I went to the gate. I was behind the gate and behind the guards. He finally came to the gate and started issuing threats at me. I was happy!

It was around 7:30 at night. I snuck up behind the block of flats. They were at the taps, fetching water. I could recognise their voices. I needed one last fix of adrenaline before going home.

I snuck up really close, but they still didn't know I was there. I lit one and using my favourite pitching move, let it fly. I heard someone exclaim "banger!" And buckets and slippers hitting the ground. I didn't wait to see the result. I'll find out tomorrow. Right now, I'm going HOME!
The year was 1998. My unruly neighbours sighted their target and positioned themselves.

The target got closer.

The ragamuffins aimed and let it fly. Unfortunately, the banger missed and landed in the target's shopping bag where a live chicken lay upside down tied by the feet.

The hapless chicken was instantly blown into feathery chunks by the powerful "Enersto Gbmf" knockout.

The target's enraged bellows could be heard for kilometers around.

'Someone' ratted on the mischief makers and they were apprehended and given a sound trashing; their parents made to replace the murdered chicken.

Guess who the treacherous Deep Throat of a lil' snitch was?

Yep, you guessed right. grin grin grin

cool

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Enigma(m): 10:22am On Nov 24, 2012
Ah, I also want to add about Moluẹ (sorry I can't go back to the page some way back)

The photos were of a later type of Moluẹ called 911 (i.e. Mercedes Benz 911 bus); the original Moluẹ was actually a bit smaller than the 911 and I believe was phased out earlier. The 911 had the nickname "Ọsa straight" (lagoon straight) because one fell from a bridge into the lagoon in a tragic accident.

By the way, there is a nice song from the 80s dedicated to the Moluẹ that goes partly "Moluẹ, Lagos city transport" etc; the group (a couple of guys also had another song called "Ọmọta agbalagba" (Old thug). Unfortunately I can't immediately recall the group's name.

Looking for music by Alex O and Alex Zitto, smiley
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 10:23am On Nov 24, 2012
naptu2:

Thank you, thank you and thank you sooo much!

Schweppes Golden Orange was my favourite! I was broken hearted when it disappeared from the market.

Thanks for the lyrics too. Reminded of Sura and Major.
Wow. I had no idea shweppes once had orange flavour. The only flavours I have ever known are shcweppes tonic water and bitter lemon.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 10:27am On Nov 24, 2012
Enigma: Ah, I also want to add about Moluẹ (sorry I can't go back to the page some way back)

The photos were of a later type of Moluẹ called 911 (i.e. Mercedes Benz 911 bus); the original Moluẹ was actually a bit smaller than the 911 and I believe was phased out earlier. The 911 had the nickname "Ọsa straight" (lagoon straight) because one fell from a bridge into the lagoon in a tragic accident.

By the way, there is a nice song from the 80s dedicated to the Moluẹ that goes partly "Moluẹ, Lagos city transport" etc; the group (a couple of guys also had another song called "Ọmọta agbalagba" (Old thug). Unfortunately I can't immediately recall the group's name.

Egbon mi eyin mashuod people cheesy
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 10:27am On Nov 24, 2012
Enigma: Ah, I also want to add about Moluẹ (sorry I can't go back to the page some way back)

The smaller bus is the Bedford Bus.

Chai! I'll get that name for you soon. I had to search for it 2 weeks ago when I thread reminded me of Emphasis (the first Nigerian group to rap in pidgin english). There was also a raga song (circa 1989) that had the chorus "run jerry, run jerry, run, run, run. I can't remember the name of the group that sang it.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 10:28am On Nov 24, 2012
Ishilove:
The year was 1998. My unruly neighbours sighted their target and positioned themselves.

The target got closer.

The ragamuffins aimed and let it fly. Unfortunately, the banger missed and landed in the target's shopping bag where a live chicken lay upside down tied by the feet.

The hapless chicken was instantly blown into feathery chunks by the powerful "Enersto Gbmf" knockout.

The target's enraged bellows could be heard for kilometers around.

'Someone' ratted on the mischief makers and they were apprehended and given a sound trashing; their parents made to replace the murdered chicken.

Guess who the treacherous Deep Throat of a lil' snitch was?

Yep, you guessed right. grin grin grin

cool

grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 10:29am On Nov 24, 2012
naptu2:

grin grin grin
lipsrsealed grin grin
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 10:32am On Nov 24, 2012
Bedford trucks were sold by UAC motors (they were probably the most popular trucks/lorries in Nigeria).

The trucks were also used to transport people (Bolekaja). When the government banned bolekaja, the owners simply took them to panel beaters who converted them to buses (molue). The 911 variety of molue came later.

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (50) (Reply)

2019 Presidential Election Results Announcement By Mahmood Yakubu, INEC Chairman / List Of Buhari's 36 Ministers And Their Portfolios / Jega To Announce Presidential Election Results: Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.