Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,433 members, 7,815,982 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:46 PM

EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe (21146 Views)

N45.9bn Fraud: EFCC To Try Tompolo Separately / Buhari Orders EFCC To Probe Ex Service Chiefs,Serving & Former Military Leaders / 4 Priests Beaten To Pulp As Enugu Govt Battles Anglican Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by marveouz: 5:49pm On Oct 04, 2012
1025:

you are mentally retarded and ur efcc do not have anything to offer.
nobody asks anybody to go and still to pay tithe but if anyone goes to arrest a rev father over such, the fire of God will burn that one to ashes.

are you implying that anyone can just pay 35 million as tithe to you if you were clergy and you will not raise eye brow....we have chosen to let religion over ride over sense of good thinking.
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by Classicalman(m): 5:50pm On Oct 04, 2012
maclatunji: What a shame? Can this clergymen truly say in their hearts-of-hearts that they didn't know the money they were collecting as tithe was tainted?
And who told you that the Pastors or Priests are spirits that they will know the source of the money being given as Tithe? Please STFU if you don't have anything to say jare.

2 Likes

Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by Classicalman(m): 5:53pm On Oct 04, 2012
gidiMonsta:

So a reverend father involved in Money laundering should be left alone, just because you don't want to touch a 'Man of God'? No wonder Africa is so backward.

NB: It's 'steal' retard.

Shut up Idiat. Did the Reverend fathers know of their involvement in the banking scam till your brother Sanusi kicked them out of office? I wonder how some of you here reason?

1 Like

Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by Okijajuju1(m): 5:53pm On Oct 04, 2012
maclatunji: What a shame? Can this clergymen truly say in their hearts-of-hearts that they didn't know the money they were collecting as tithe was tainted?

Look who is talking about shame I'd rather have thieving clergy men than Terrorist Imams and Deranged Suicidal Muslims.. Dont you dare talk about Pastors o!!

The day you Muslims stop killing people, then you can judge another religions matter

Bloody Boko Haram Terrorist sympatiser and Follower

7 Likes

Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by IYANGBALI: 5:55pm On Oct 04, 2012
maclatunji:

You are implying that N35 million and N10 million were delivered in cash to the two churches and the clergymen were "blissfully" ignorant of the donor?
Yes ke,next question plsssssss grin
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by IYANGBALI: 5:56pm On Oct 04, 2012
Classicalman:

Shut up Idiat. Did the Reverend fathers know of their involvement in the banking scam till your brother Sanusi kicked them out of office? I wonder how some of you here reason?
They reason with their bum bum
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by 76virgins(m): 5:57pm On Oct 04, 2012
CoxyB: To me I see no reason why those clergy shd be arrested. D man in quetion donated d money 2 church in d name of payin his tithe, so wot has dat got 2 do arresting d innocent ones?

So the clergy man should not be arrested abi? May he needs 76 virgins to convert too
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by Classicalman(m): 5:58pm On Oct 04, 2012
maclatunji:

Of course and they don't ask questions about how a single man can afford to give such huge amounts away without stealing or some other form of crime. Even Dangote can't give away N1 billion without putting his business in danger. He can only make such donations to fuel political campaigns to get $1 billion in return.

You are a MUSLIM and so i don't expect you to know the concept of TITHE and how it works. Enough said.

1 Like

Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by 76virgins(m): 5:58pm On Oct 04, 2012
Classicalman:

then why did Soludo covered them up? This malam sef . . .
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by Parnassuss(m): 5:59pm On Oct 04, 2012
Capt. Von Trapp:
what has the catholic priest gat to do with this? except if they knew [size=16pt]without reasonable doubt[/size] where the money came from and it was delivered personally.

Allow the bleeped commission to keeping doing its bit to continue bleeping up. Did they ask for said money and it not remitted? I don't understand, if Catholics start taking to the streets and stones like Muslims would EFCC have the stones to do what they want to now. Must they always show false bravado where simple diplomacy would suffice? even if they arrest said priests why are they announcing it to the media and the world, why don't they just do it and from then explain their actions, have you ever gone hunting and shouted "I am coming oh" to your prey before your started? Don't you just want to make noise?

Besides what kind of investigation can a priest in Nigeria carry out about the earnings of a BANK CEO? If EFCC stored data like this on a national base or something we would understand that the information was there but he the priest turned a blind eye. I thought the EFCC had evidence to suspect that the priests knew where the money came from and deliberately collected and transported it somewhere for Atuche. But how can it be money laundering if Atuche or any of his affiliates never received the money back

I would also like to refer the minds of Nigerians to the EFCC's pursuit of DEMEJI BANKOLE and the talented Mr Akingbola, whilst i applaud their zest in carrying out their duties they should also please face the fact they are simply frontpage poachers that wont do squat at the end of the day. I miss Ribadu.

6 Likes

Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by CastleandGreen: 6:00pm On Oct 04, 2012
EFCC clap hand for yourself, you left Peter Odili, waziri, Attah and the rest of the political criminals to arrest a clergy. It is obvious you guys don't know your job.

1 Like

Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by treach(m): 6:02pm On Oct 04, 2012
As at the time he donated this money's, he was a good citizen. So why make it look like he used the churches to launder money. Go and check people would have donated more than that before.

1 Like

Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by 299: 6:03pm On Oct 04, 2012
As a catholic, i don't mind them arresting everybody involved in this kind of scam. From Adeboye,Oyedepo to the priests involved. People shouldn't be hiding under the 'men of God' to commit crime against the general public.They all should be interrogated at once. God does not want stolen money
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by amobii: 6:04pm On Oct 04, 2012
9ja_I_hail:

How slow is your brain to understand simple explanation? Look nobody has time to know who pay tithe and who did not pay. Tithe is a secret covenant one has with God and it's a spiritual excises so stop twisting it to make it look like the church or Rev whom the man paid the tithes in the church they manage are criminals, because i know too well that is where you are driving to. Mind you catholic church is not like other Pentecostal churches where one man can own and control all the donor and monetary affairs.

I think you should shut up, why are you covering this, just accept it. Are u telling us those Rev. &Pastors are not aware of big donor, people like you might not be noticed ,cos highest u can pay is N100k, but for million, ask yurself do they pay by cheque or cash, then if cheque would d name not appear on booklet, and if cash then u plenty of"Ganah must Go".

1 Like

Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by Imoy(m): 6:05pm On Oct 04, 2012
if the efcc say churches should confirm every source of offering/tithe before accepting it, i dont think it's a gud idea. For example, how would u feel as a christain who wants to pay a tithe of 1mill, and u re been questiond how u came abt the money? It will discourage some pipu of paying their tithe.

1 Like

Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by 299: 6:06pm On Oct 04, 2012
grin grin
Okija_juju:

Look who is talking about shame I'd rather have thieving clergy men than Terrorist Imams and Deranged Suicidal Muslims.. Dont you dare talk about Pastors o!!

The day you Muslims stop killing people, then you can judge another religions matter

grin
Okija_juju:

2 Likes

Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by treach(m): 6:08pm On Oct 04, 2012
Wat ever has been put in the house of God, make no body near am ooo. The wahala no de finish............... Ooooooooo
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by GboyegaD(m): 6:10pm On Oct 04, 2012
What wrong has the priests done? Since he is the MD of a bank and a major shareholder in the bank, I do not think they would have known it was stolen deposits particularly with the way bankers display affluence which makes people believe they earn too well.

2 Likes

Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by Nobody: 6:13pm On Oct 04, 2012
debrief08: I am a Christian and catholic and I support this, enough of the ostrich moves, some priests are just something else. The catholic church does not endorse this and usually makes retribution in cases like this. Let them return the money, and let the same be done for Pastors like Adeboye who a private jet was purchased for with stolen funds from oceanic and inter continental bank. Good move
and why should they return the money? Did the church beg him to give them the money? Supposing Atuche was a muslim and he gave the money to imams to build mosques,would the EFCC arrest the imams? Is Atuche the first person to give out stolen money to churches? This is just a way to humiliate the Catholic Church and I tell ya!

3 Likes

Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by Nobody: 6:14pm On Oct 04, 2012
Most Church Goers often think that its their offering that's used in purchasing Private Jets. Well, I am here to tell you that those Jets are Proceeds of Tithes from Money Laundering and Fraud; am not against the Christian God, cos He is Merciful and Benevolent, but let it be known that at my retirement, if God dont call me, I will call myself to Ministry, there is so much grapes on the vineyard, and someone has to be a fisher of men for the Lord. Alleluyah! Praise the Living Jah.
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by naijalien: 6:15pm On Oct 04, 2012
First and foremost, understand that ignorance is not an excuse under the law. The facts are clear that stolen money was paid to the Churches. It now behoves on all Churches and religious bodies to take necessary due diligence to avoid money being laundered through them in the name of tithes and offerings. There is nothing that stops a Church for instance by insisting that all tithes and offerings above a certain amount say N50,000.00 be made payable in check or bank draft. Besides the Money laundering law makes it an offence for an individual to make a cash transaction of more than N5,000,000.00 and a corporate entity more than N10,000,000.00. So it does not even make a good case for the clergy men to say that N45m cash was paid as tithe without resorting to a financial institution for such payment (Money Laundering Act 2011, Section 1).

The Churches must put in place safeguards to avoid bringing shame to itself like in this instance and that is called "Due Diligence". In a society like Nigeria with so many corrupt politicians and fraudsters, it is the right thing to do to avoid this type of embarassment. Let they that have ears, listen!

2 Likes

Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by Ikengawo: 6:20pm On Oct 04, 2012
I think the church is the bed rock of corruption in nigeria.
It's used for money laundering,
Priests and preachers are bribed to convince their followers to vote one way and thus sell their church to the highest bidder
they're payed by politicians to attack their enemies
they parasitically make billions off selling lies (miracles) to the poor. Convincing farm women that God needs their harvest and generators.
they assist in hiding criminals

it's incredible.
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by Pukkah: 6:20pm On Oct 04, 2012
At the rate at which the citizens of this country are shielding 'their own people' through sentiments, and fallacious reasoning such as 'what of you?', 'what of him?', 'why now?', 'why him'? etc it will be extremely difficult to rid the country of corruption...so the lack of development continues.

Is it too much to ask that pastors and priests know or report donors of large sums? Such a requirement may be the saving grace for an innocent priest whose church a fraudster (in the public or private sector) used to launder money. There are churches that have refused to accept 'spurious' or 'suspicious' donations. So it's not really difficult to do for pastors and priests that have no interest in worldly affairs. But, I tell you, although it may not be easy to refuse but it can be turned down.

In the same manner as you have very few men of integrity within the clergy, so also are unscrupulous people who establish churches solely to partake in the wanton money laundering that is going on in Nigeria today. If we say corruption is high, then we must accept that its proceeds (especially the hefty ones) must be laundered by the perpetrators one way or the other; one of those ways is the church and the loophole should be plugged, or at least reduced considerably.

Please let's all join hands to remove all the hiding places of these private/public sector corrupt individuals regardless of their religion or tribe. This is the way Nigeria can occupy its deserving position in the world and solve the problems of underdevelopment.

2 Likes

Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by marveouz: 6:22pm On Oct 04, 2012
Classicalman:

I bet our sense of reasoning is very shallow...can you borrow us some brain? If you were a clergy someone will pay 35 million to you as tithe and you will not raise eye brow? tithe..? Please open your mind
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by nwosas(m): 6:24pm On Oct 04, 2012
He was a Bank CEO, does it mean dat a man in such position cant give such an amount dat will warrant d priest to start investigating? Mind u these two churches r in his home town.
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by blackmale(m): 6:24pm On Oct 04, 2012
9ja_I_hail:

Don't be stupiid in church you don't write your name on tithes. Tithes usually come with envelop and go into tithe box. Rev's don't know who and who pay their tithes, when it's time for tithes members who want to pay their tithe will move to the alter and pay tithes they don't hand it over to the priest hand to hand.
so that figure amount of money is 500 or 1000 naira note that those priest wont recognise who the donor is? my broda wake up jo!
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by marveouz: 6:24pm On Oct 04, 2012
Okija_juju:

Nigerians as usual forgetting the topic of discussion....over religious more than religion it self....kettle calling the pot black. May God save us all
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by SisiKill1: 6:25pm On Oct 04, 2012
9ja_I_hail:

Don't be stupiid in church you don't write your name on tithes. Tithes usually come with envelop and go into tithe box. Rev's don't know who and who pay their tithes

when it's time for tithes members who want to pay their tithe will move to the alter and pay tithes they don't hand it over to the priest hand to hand.

You people really ought to learn how to lie. . .some of us go to church you know.

Rev not know who pays their tithes my cute patootie.
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by jude33084(m): 6:25pm On Oct 04, 2012

♈☺uЯ muslims brothers are sueing FG for genocide Ɣ☺Ʊ are here attacking τhe untouchables cool
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by Zenanted(m): 6:26pm On Oct 04, 2012
at 1st how ws d money paid? Secondly ,wat if it was given to a charity home or foundation e.g motherless babies home ,would they stil b questioned or asked 2 return d money?
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by slap1(m): 6:27pm On Oct 04, 2012
treach: Wat ever has been put in the house of God, make no body near am ooo. The wahala no de finish............... Ooooooooo
Or the 'god' that protects thieves and their loots will revolt? You guys should learn to see religion as the smokescreen it can sometimes be.
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by Okijajuju1(m): 6:28pm On Oct 04, 2012
marveouz:

Nigerians as usual forgetting the topic of discussion....over religious more than religion it self....kettle calling the pot black. May God save us all

If you are also a muslim Then shut the f[u]ck up and move to your section.. This matter concerns only Christians (particularly Catholics).. Killers & thieves no be mate..

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Pwc Full Forensic Report On NNPC Download Here / "Buhari’s Doctors Advised Him To Take Things Slowly" – Garba Shehu / Winifred Oyo-Ita’s Retirement ‘Rejected’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.