Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,320 members, 7,815,615 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:20 PM

EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe (21144 Views)

N45.9bn Fraud: EFCC To Try Tompolo Separately / Buhari Orders EFCC To Probe Ex Service Chiefs,Serving & Former Military Leaders / 4 Priests Beaten To Pulp As Enugu Govt Battles Anglican Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by Classicalman(m): 6:28pm On Oct 04, 2012
Ikengawo: I think the church is the bed rock of corruption in nigeria.
It's used for money laundering,
Priests and preachers are bribed to convince their followers to vote one way and thus sell their church to the highest bidder
they're payed by politicians to attack their enemies
they parasitically make billions off selling lies (miracles) to the poor. Convincing farm women that God needs their harvest and generators.
they assist in hiding criminals

it's incredible.

For your info, the catholic church is self sustaining and doesn't need TITHES from members to survive.
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by jude33084(m): 6:29pm On Oct 04, 2012
gidiMonsta:

So a reverend father involved in Money laundering should be left alone, just because you don't want to touch a 'Man of God'? No wonder Africa is so backward.

NB: It's 'steal' retard.

Do U̶̲̅ even know τhe definition of money laundering? How does it relate Ť☺ τhis case?

1 Like

Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by PastorOla1: 6:30pm On Oct 04, 2012
This thing is going too far!
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by cold(m): 6:30pm On Oct 04, 2012
1025:

you are mentally retarded and ur efcc do not have anything to offer.
nobody asks anybody to go and still to pay tithe but if anyone goes to arrest a rev father over such, the fire of God will burn that one to ashes.

How can you reprobate & approbate at the same time? You're PDP's antagonist bar none. Calling them corrupt,thieves,devilish,nest of killers bla,bla,bla. But you have no qualms with theft & corruption in the House of the Lord,ok. Nigerians never cease to amaze me
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by SisiKill1: 6:32pm On Oct 04, 2012
Classicalman:

You are a MUSLIM and so i don't expect you to know the concept of TITHE and how it works. Enough said.
Errr. . .is stealing part of the concept of tithes?!!
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by mediainspired: 6:33pm On Oct 04, 2012
Most ppl here lamely defendin d rev fathers here ar catholics. I support d EFCC move 100%. Sadly, politicians &corporate giants wit questnable xters ar mostly found in d catholic church cos dere doctrine/'preaching' ar usually pedestrian. Most of its membas go dere cos its a church of convenience wit no serious conscience-probin preachins. Dey just go dere for a 10 mins mass on Sunday &go home, wit so many curious &unbiblical doctrines (e.g worship of an idol dey tell dem is 'Mary'). Som pentecostals might guilty too, but @least dey preach straight 4rm d bible, rather dan abandon it 4cathecism books which artfully distort bible truths
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by slap1(m): 6:35pm On Oct 04, 2012
Classicalman:

For your info, the catholic church is self sustaining and doesn't need TITHES from members to survive.
Unless your idea of self-sustainance doesn't include having cash. If it does, where does the money spring from?
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by Martini101(m): 6:36pm On Oct 04, 2012
CastleandGreen: EFCC clap hand for yourself, you left Peter Odili, waziri, Attah and the rest of the political criminals to arrest a clergy. It is obvious you guys don't know your job.
. Bros. U dey mind them? U even forgot bank-ole, facrook, alams etc and mallam sanusi lamido dat donated #100million to kano boko victims. Pukkah. U re saying it as it is just dat these guys [efcc] dont try to do their jobs well.
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by Pukkah: 6:36pm On Oct 04, 2012
Okija_juju:

If you are also a muslim Then shut the f[u]ck up and move to your section.. [b]This matter concerns only Christians (particularly Catholics).. Killers & thieves no be mate..[/b]

The matters of grand larceny, graft, and corruption concern all Nigerians and not only Christians. You can't win the war against any form of crime by dividing the people along the cleavages of religion or tribe.

The consequences of corruption - poverty, disease, hunger, ignorance, etc - do not discriminate along the lines of any religion or tribe. Therefore, all the good people of this country must bunch together to fight all evils wherever they find them.
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by Nobody: 6:38pm On Oct 04, 2012
mediainspired: Most ppl here lamely defendin d rev fathers here ar catholics. I support d EFCC move 100%. Sadly, politicians &corporate giants wit questnable xters ar mostly found in d catholic church cos dere doctrine/'preaching' ar usually pedestrian. Most of its membas go dere cos its a church of convenience wit no serious conscience-probin preachins. Dey just go dere for a 10 mins mass on Sunday &go home, wit so many curious &unbiblical doctrines (e.g worship of an idol dey tell dem is 'Mary'). Som pentecostals might guilty too, but @least dey preach straight 4rm d bible, rather dan abandon it 4cathecism books which artfully distort bible truths

u holy thou others churches, i can see how you guys are uplifting naija!!! make i hear word, catholic that, catholic this!!
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by Pukkah: 6:39pm On Oct 04, 2012
Martini101: . Bros. U dey mind them? U even forgot bank-ole, facrook, alams etc and mallam sanusi lamido dat donated #100million to kano boko victims. Pukkah. U re saying it as it is just dat these guys [efcc] dont try to do their jobs well.

I agree that they they've not been doing their job well. In fact, one of the issues I have against the current regime is its lack-lustre fight against well-known corrupt people.

However, as bitter as it sounds, the ineptitude on their part is not an alibi for whosoever is found wanting or suspected of any crime.
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by Nobody: 6:39pm On Oct 04, 2012
mediainspired: Most ppl here lamely defendin d rev fathers here ar catholics. I support d EFCC move 100%. Sadly, politicians &corporate giants wit questnable xters ar mostly found in d catholic church cos dere doctrine/'preaching' ar usually pedestrian. Most of its membas go dere cos its a church of convenience wit no serious conscience-probin preachins. Dey just go dere for a 10 mins mass on Sunday &go home, wit so many curious &unbiblical doctrines (e.g worship of an idol dey tell dem is 'Mary'). Som pentecostals might guilty too, but @least dey preach straight 4rm d bible, rather dan abandon it 4cathecism books which artfully distort bible truths
Lie, I am catholic and what you have said reeks of ignorance. Some priests like all humans are guilty of corruption. The Catholic church preaches truth, charity and doesnt overemphasize deliverance, tithes and other things you guys shout and scream about. Most people defending the priests here are actually Pentecostals who are afraid the EFCC will come after their own pastors. I have as a catholic applauded the EFCC and spoken against this, even raised the issue up at a church question and answer session and was informed the church will meet and arrange on how to make retribution. I will advice that you open your mind and learn, not to be converted but to be informed before making unfounded statements from an ignorant mind
Also write in good English please

1 Like

Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by preciousoz: 6:40pm On Oct 04, 2012
So sad that we of this generations are making it hard for people to take the church serious. cry

A society where the Rich (not minding where the wealth is from) is celebrated and made Elders,Deacons and some even pastors while negleting the true teachings of Jesus.

Efcc should write the Church to provide the stolen funds and not arrest the Priests (who might be innocent). The issue of Arrest can only come up when the church refuse to refund.

The church Need to return to go back to the Teachings of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ (the new testament is not that bulky) and learn to live like Christ.

Did anyone read of Roman soldiers threatening to Arrest Jesus because of stolen thithes/offerings? Were there not rich Men who converted and followed christ ? Did this happen in the days of the Early Apostles ?

This is very Sad and is something one should not be proud of.

Am a Christian trying to Make Heaven and not interested in any denominations...I respect Men of God including Priests and it Ends there. Let's unite together and Cry against this disturbing trend of Materialism in the Church.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by thelastPope(m): 6:42pm On Oct 04, 2012
I don't think the priests should be held responsible but I think such monies should be returned. That is where I have a problem. If it is discovered that the money is fraudulent money, it should be returned as much as possible.

In the first place, if the money is stolen, then God never really accepted it. God will not protect such money or anyone seeking to hold on to it wrongly. It should be returned, whatever part is left or available. They can then discuss how to return the rest later.

1 Like

Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by maclatunji: 6:42pm On Oct 04, 2012
naijalien: First and foremost, understand that ignorance is not an excuse under the law. The facts are clear that stolen money was paid to the Churches. It now behoves on all Churches and religious bodies to take necessary due diligence to avoid money being laundered through them in the name of tithes and offerings. There is nothing that stops a Church for instance by insisting that all tithes and offerings above a certain amount say N50,000.00 be made payable in check or bank draft. Besides the Money laundering law makes it an offence for an individual to make a cash transaction of more than N5,000,000.00 and a corporate entity more than N10,000,000.00. So it does not even make a good case for the clergy men to say that N45m cash was paid as tithe without resorting to a financial institution for such payment (Money Laundering Act 2011, Section 1).

The Churches must put in place safeguards to avoid bringing shame to itself like in this instance and that is called "Due Diligence". In a society like Nigeria with so many corrupt politicians and fraudsters, it is the right thing to do to avoid this type of embarassment. Let they that have ears, listen!

Abi! See as some posters are trying to shift the goal post. If your clergy collected laundered money, they should be made to face the consequences.

#Hehehe
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by nwakaibe(m): 6:42pm On Oct 04, 2012
Did Atuche pay tithe or just gave donations to the two parishes? He gave a donation and peeps are still talking of tithe. Tithe is 10 percent.
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by Peter262: 6:43pm On Oct 04, 2012
E be like say the priest wants to use the money and buy private jet ;DE be like say the priest wants to use the money and buy private jet
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by mediainspired: 6:44pm On Oct 04, 2012
I know in MFM, RCCG, APOSTOLIC FAITH, DLBC &similar strong BIble-believin churches, d pastors always remind d members not to bring stolen money to church. In fact, I can confirm dat wen dey see any unusually huge sum like N10m, dey wil investigate, questn d giver as to its source &might return it if unsatisfied. But d catholic church does not even preach born-again &receivin d Holy Spirit, d only reason Christ came to d world. In fact, if u see 'Christians' who are quick to use swearwords here, dey're usually catholics. Born-again xtians act &live like Christ. Dey moderate wat dey say &do.
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by Nobody: 6:45pm On Oct 04, 2012
maclatunji:

Abi! See as some posters are trying to shift the goal post. If your clergy collected laundered money, they should be made to face the consequences.

#Hehehe

It seems most of you here don't know the meaning of money laundry. How does paying tithe/donation of such amounts results into money laundry or there is part of the gist we are have failed to read or not privy to?

1 Like

Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by maclatunji: 6:45pm On Oct 04, 2012
jude33084:

♈☺uЯ muslims brothers are sueing FG for genocide Ɣ☺Ʊ are here attacking τhe untouchables cool

These ones have been touched already. Cry your heart out. tongue
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by Martini101(m): 6:45pm On Oct 04, 2012
Medianinspired. If e dey pain u oh ga ga oh! Go and ask stereoman to sing part2 for u. U want to start church bashing here but the truth is dat d Catholic church is far above ur comprehension. Go and deal wit ur hate 4 d Catholic church first. Lol

4 Likes

Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by sirp2007: 6:46pm On Oct 04, 2012
THIS IS SERIOUS SHAL
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by Pukkah: 6:47pm On Oct 04, 2012
Imoy: if the efcc say churches should confirm every source of offering/tithe before accepting it, i dont think it's a gud idea. For example, how would u feel as a christain who wants to pay a tithe of 1mill, and u re been questiond how u came abt the money? It will discourage some pipu of paying their tithe.

Which one is better for your country and a truly 'God-believing church' - clean money of N100,000 or dirty money of N1million?

Are you afraid that the churches would lose the tithe of bad people? Why?

Is it not the churches that should be at the vanguard of discouraging crime and its proceeds?
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by maclatunji: 6:47pm On Oct 04, 2012
woodcook:

It seems most of you here don't know the meaning of money laundry. How does paying tithe/donation of such amounts results into money laundry or there is part of the gist we are have failed to read or not privy to?

LWKMD! Biko, teach us what "money laundry" is.
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by rbjimoh: 6:48pm On Oct 04, 2012
9ja_I_hail:

Don't be stupiid in church you don't write your name on tithes. Tithes usually come with envelop and go into tithe box. Rev's don't know who and who pay their tithes, when it's time for tithes members who want to pay their tithe will move to the alter and pay tithes they don't hand it over to the priest hand to hand.
9ja_I_hail:

Don't be stupiid in church you don't write your name on tithes. Tithes usually come with envelop and go into tithe box. Rev's don't know who and who pay their tithes, when it's time for tithes members who want to pay their tithe will move to the alter and pay tithes they don't hand it over to the priest hand to hand.
9ja_I_hail:

Put N45 million I think you are crazy
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by Nobody: 6:49pm On Oct 04, 2012
mediainspired: I know in MFM, RCCG, APOSTOLIC FAITH, DLBC &similar strong BIble-believin churches, d pastors always remind d members not to bring stolen money to church. In fact, I can confirm dat wen dey see any unusually huge sum like N10m, dey wil investigate, questn d giver as to its source &might return it if unsatisfied. But d catholic church does not even preach born-again &receivin d Holy Spirit, d only reason Christ came to d world. In fact, if u see 'Christians' who are quick to use swearwords here, dey're usually catholics. Born-again xtians act &live like Christ. Dey moderate wat dey say &do.

"Bible-believing poo" I am a free thinker when it comes to religion, despite that I hate it when people start putting other denomination down in a bid to look better. The truth is there is no saint-church in your so called country naija. You are all one hell of a huge scam. Capitalizing on the situations of the poor masses and robbing them blind from where the FG left off.
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by JoeGaruba: 6:50pm On Oct 04, 2012
Do some of you posters understand whats at stake here?

1. Learn the meaning of money laundering (not laundry as many clowns here have posted)
2. There are three components to it, placement, layering (to legitimize) and Integration
3. The last two components are missing.
4. There is nothing in the money laundering prohibition act of 2011 that characterizes this as such. It has to do with large cash deposits.(http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/law/legal-culture/29072-money-laundering-prohibition-act-2011)

If the priests did not help to "wash this N45m" there is no case to answer here.

This is why corrupt people go unpunished. This is lazy investigation and sensational reporting on the part to try this case in the media.The court of law is what matters not the court of public opinion.

I am not saying this guy did not steal o, its just that there is probably more than this laundering explanation.

Abi how una check am?
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by Nobody: 6:51pm On Oct 04, 2012
woodcook:

"Bible-believing poo" I am a free thinker when it comes to religion, despite that I hate it when people start putting other denomination down in a bid to look better. The truth is there is no saint-church in your so called country naija. You are all one hell of a huge scam. Capitalizing on the situations of the poor masses and robbing them blind from where the FG left off.
You are venting your frustration on the wrong people. Why not join the jihad!
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by SisiKill1: 6:52pm On Oct 04, 2012
mediainspired: I know in MFM, RCCG, APOSTOLIC FAITH, DLBC &similar strong BIble-believin churches, d pastors always remind d members not to bring stolen money to church. In fact, I can confirm dat wen dey see any unusually huge sum like N10m, dey wil investigate, questn d giver as to its source &might return it if unsatisfied. But d catholic church does not even preach born-again &receivin d Holy Spirit, d only reason Christ came to d world. In fact, if u see 'Christians' who are quick to use swearwords here, dey're usually catholics. Born-again xtians act &live like Christ. Dey moderate wat dey say &do.

Dude stop lying abeg. . .which rubbish investigating do they do??!

Catholic, Pentecostal, Protestants, Anglican, High rollers, Benz Riders, Winch Slappers and any other hip names you give your churches. . .y'all are the same thing. undecided
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by Pukkah: 6:53pm On Oct 04, 2012
woodcook:

It seems like you're the one that needs to be educated on Money Laundering.

Imagine that someone that you gave a ride in your own car is found by policemen at a checkpoint to be in possession of stolen goods/mpney, would you be allowed to drive off?

Note: It's 'Money Laundering' and not 'Money Laundry'.
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by hrhobi1(m): 6:54pm On Oct 04, 2012
9ja_I_hail:

So person pay 10 million naira tithe and pastor wont ask who paid it? Yes! man you can deceive but You cannot deceive God , God cannot be mocked
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by jude33084(m): 6:56pm On Oct 04, 2012
marveouz:

I bet our sense of reasoning is very shallow...can you borrow us some brain? If you were a clergy someone will pay 35 million to you as tithe and you will not raise eye brow? tithe..? Please open your mind

Did he pay it directly Ť☺ τhe priest or τhe Catholic account?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Eminent Nigerians beg Buhari: Save Nigeria From Imminent Shutdown - VANGUARD / Police Arrest Kidnappers Of Musa Uba, Buhari’s Adc’s Father-in-law / APC Slams Peter Obi, Calls Him Ignorant Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.