Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,425 members, 7,819,548 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:54 PM

Efik, Southern Cameroon Consider Forming A Republic - Obong - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Efik, Southern Cameroon Consider Forming A Republic - Obong (9474 Views)

Southern Cameroon Aligns With Biafra, Given Airtime On Radio Biafra / Because Of Igbo Bad Behaviour/ Tribalism ,we Lost Southern Cameroon / How Tribalism Made Southern Cameroon Run From Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Efik, Southern Cameroon Consider Forming A Republic - Obong by asemota2012: 2:56pm On Oct 11, 2012
I think the best option is for the Bakassians at this point in time is to pursue the option of a republic,though this is not going
to be easy but it is a just couse and it is worth figthing for,they should take their destiny into their hands.
Re: Efik, Southern Cameroon Consider Forming A Republic - Obong by ITbomb(m): 3:08pm On Oct 11, 2012
I am always wondering , what has Cross River gain from their association with Nigeria.

Cross River [Calabar / Ogoja remains one of the last provinces to be given a state status in spite of this , population figures has always been out of favour with them.

Cross River has been robbed of the status of oil producing state even though they see gas flared at their backyard.

Cross River paradoxically is a non littoral state even though the ocean branched into their coastline.

The Calabar seaport has been neglected leading to collapsed of many industry and possibly Tinapa
Apart from M/M highway in main town Calabar there is no other motorable federal road in the entire massive state.

NYSC corpers who had served there understand the massiveness of that state as u travel for 6 hrs from the orientation camp in Obubra to NYSC secretariat in Calabar

If they have the might and support it will be better they end this unfavorable marriage with Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Efik, Southern Cameroon Consider Forming A Republic - Obong by mimifonwon(f): 3:33pm On Oct 11, 2012
afam4eva: One thing i noticed with the Nigerian government is that they always want to look good in the eyes of the international community without protecting the bpeople that they're mandated to protect. I guess Jonathan will get an award for not appealing this Bakkassi case. I wonder if Obasanjo was from Bakkassi, if he would have just let it go like that...Will Jonathan also have failed to appeal if he was from there? It shows how selfish and unreasonable the Nigerian government is.

I think what the Bakkassi people need to do is to weigh their options that take the one that will be most beneficial to them even if it means being sovereign, i support them 100%. If they're waiting for the Nigerian government to come to their aid, then they can as well wait for satan.

I so support this people, maybe when they secede and then igbo people follow, then what will nigeria do, start another war against the efik for protecting their human rights...lmaooo..nigeria is finished by 2015..lmaooo!! Chai i love my country. What a drama it is. Best show in all of africa.
Re: Efik, Southern Cameroon Consider Forming A Republic - Obong by emeka762001(m): 3:37pm On Oct 11, 2012
if i were indigene of bakasi, i wld even preferred to join cameroon bc nothing gives one joy in nigeria again. i am tired of naija. emeka762001
Re: Efik, Southern Cameroon Consider Forming A Republic - Obong by Dee60: 4:45pm On Oct 11, 2012
Supported!
Re: Efik, Southern Cameroon Consider Forming A Republic - Obong by Maranzano(m): 4:54pm On Oct 11, 2012
I really feel for the Bakassi people whose rights of citizenship and cultural heritage was traded by the colonial masters and later the Gowon administration during the civil war. I sincerely hope that Gowon will tell Nigerians how Bakassi was lost to Cameroun at ICJ in his Civil war memoirs someday. Hasty decisions are made in war times to achieve victory but the consequences may leave an indelible mark in the memory ever after. Bakassi is an example.
Re: Efik, Southern Cameroon Consider Forming A Republic - Obong by Nobody: 4:55pm On Oct 11, 2012
Saw dis on Facebook: Ayo Akinfe
[1] Over the last few weeks, I have been hearing a lot of noise about Bakassi and how Nigeria should appeal the judgment of the International Court of Justice which granted the territory to Cameroon in 2002
[2] I think it is time we told ourselves the bitter truth. Bakassi has always been part of Cameroon. The only time Nigeria had any claims to it was the period between 1914 and 1961 when Western Cameroon was part of Nigeria
[3] In 1884, the German Army captured Bakassi and signed a treaty with its traditional ruler, making it part of German Cameroon
[4] When World War One broke out, the allies decided to seize Cameroon. British troops captured Western Cameroon via Nigeria, while French troops took over Eastern Cameroon, entering through Congo Brazaville. Bakassi was part of Western Cameroon and administered as part of Nigeria
[5] At independence, however, the people of Western Cameroon were given the option of either joining up with the rest of the country in forming one united Cameroon or staying part of Nigeria with their Anglophone brethren.
[6] In 1959, the people of north western Cameroon voted overwhelmingly to remain part of Nigeria. Mubi is one of the towns that was part of the territory. Had they voted differently, Buba Marwa would not be a Nigerian today.
[7] In Southern Cameroons, the plebiscite could not hold in 1959 for security reasons but when it did hold, they “Decided to achieve independence by joining the independent Republic of Cameroon” (General Assembly resolution 1608 (XV) of April 21, 1961)
[8] There were 21 polling stations on the Bakassi peninsula itself and 73 per cent of the people living there voted to “Achieve independence by joining the independent Republic of Cameroon”
[9] In 1962, the government of Tafawa Balewa exchanged diplomatic notes with Cameroun acknowledging the fact that Bakassi was not Nigerian territory.
[9] In January 1966, Major General Ironsi came to power in Nigeria. He committed his government to respecting all prior international agreements made by the Balewa government.
[10] In July 1966, Lt Col Gowon came to power in Nigeria. He too committed his government to respect all prior international agreements made by the Ironsi and Balewa governments.
[11] On July 29, 1975 General Gowon was overthrown by General Murtala Muhammed and one of the first acts of that regime was to begin to question all the domestic and foreign policy decisions made by General Gowon, including the offshore maritime border with Cameroun. In the rush to smear Gowon publicly, he was held accountable for “giving away Bakassi”
[12] I challenge anyone to show me one map anywhere in the world, which shows Bakassi being on the western side of the border
[13] Only Chinua Achebe has had the guts to say it by South Western Cameroon refused to join Nigeria because they were afraid of Igbo domination. Igbo traders dominated all their markets and retail activities and they thus decided to remain part of Cameroon
[14] All those calling for “The people of Bakassi” to determine their own fate today, know damn well that the overwhelming majority these so-called indigenes are Igbo traders whi have migrated to the area over time
[15] It is time for Nigeria to leave the matter be. Relocate the Nigerians from Bakassi in a new purpose-built town and give Cameroon the peninsular back. We can then negotiate access to the peninsular for maritime purposes and fishing rights. Can I also add that Bakassi is not “oil-rich.” All that exists there are shrimps. Neither Shell, Total, Eni, Agip or Mobil has any oil rigs on the peninsular —

1 Like

Re: Efik, Southern Cameroon Consider Forming A Republic - Obong by Nobody: 5:47pm On Oct 11, 2012
Ds ppl are stil listening 2 d very ppl(imoke n obong) dat feigned helplesness at their problems
its time 4 bakassians 2 stop thinking n talking nigerian & get a sovereign state 4 demsefs since dey ar nt wanted in nigeria
Re: Efik, Southern Cameroon Consider Forming A Republic - Obong by Nobody: 5:47pm On Oct 11, 2012
Ds ppl are stil listening 2 d very ppl(imoke n obong) dat feigned helplesness at their problems
its time 4 bakassians 2 stop thinking n talking nigerian & get a sovereign state 4 demsefs . Afterall,events have shown dat dey ar nt wanted in nigeria
Re: Efik, Southern Cameroon Consider Forming A Republic - Obong by Orblonde: 7:12pm On Oct 11, 2012
Surely with all this talk of cross river joining with bakassi to form a state, it will not be acceptable, else why did nigeria fight a bitter genocidal war against biafra? This will open the floodgates to self determination for many nations that find themselves in nigeria with no joy and there are truly many if you honestly 'open the blinds'. I mean when you really think about it, who is happy with being in nigeria? If you can remove the effects of social engineering that starts with nigerians singing the national anthem, what does nigeria do for you? We are already a soft state that is in gear 5 on the way to a failed state, as predicted in 2015.
Re: Efik, Southern Cameroon Consider Forming A Republic - Obong by nedu2000(m): 7:46pm On Oct 11, 2012
emeka762001: if i were indigene of bakasi, i wld even preferred to join cameroon bc nothing gives one joy in nigeria again. i am tired of naija. emeka762001
the problem is dat there will be a degree of discrimination against dem 4rm the camerounian govt & mayn't be given full citizenship rights,besides its kind of psycological 4rm supporting super eagles 2 supporting the indomitable lions cheesy
Re: Efik, Southern Cameroon Consider Forming A Republic - Obong by makaveli1(m): 8:54pm On Oct 11, 2012
[quote author=afam4eva]
I agree with you. Nigerians have this follow-follow attitude. The moment Bakassi becomes a republic, every other region in Nigeria will also want to seek self-determination.
What u have just envisaged will most likely be the resultant effect of this 'sovereignty plan'
Re: Efik, Southern Cameroon Consider Forming A Republic - Obong by JubalTheophilus: 1:44am On Oct 12, 2012
ekt_bear: There should be a referendum in Bakassi.

I don't understand why Nigeria just quit without at least trying this tactic.
Nigerians did not quit oh ... It is GEJ & d fools that sold out Bakasi like OBJ , Gowan & etc that gave up just to spite d Biafras... We hav seen all sort of atrocitys under our government . Chai !
Re: Efik, Southern Cameroon Consider Forming A Republic - Obong by JubalTheophilus: 1:50am On Oct 12, 2012
nedu2000: the problem is dat there will be a degree of discrimination against dem 4rm the camerounian govt & mayn't be given full citizenship rights,besides its kind of psycological 4rm supporting super eagles 2 supporting the indomitable lions cheesy
look @ d bright side ... They get to hav two international passport . They can easly get an american Visa as cameroinian citizens & not be seen as criminals in foreign countrys like dey way dey envisaged Nigerians all over d world. Better 4 them oh cos Naija has lost its glory .
Re: Efik, Southern Cameroon Consider Forming A Republic - Obong by JubalTheophilus: 1:53am On Oct 12, 2012
Orblonde: Surely with all this talk of cross river joining with bakassi to form a state, it will not be acceptable, else why did nigeria fight a bitter genocidal war against biafra? This will open the floodgates to self determination for many nations that find themselves in nigeria with no joy and there are truly many if you honestly 'open the blinds'. I mean when you really think about it, who is happy with being in nigeria? If you can remove the effects of social engineering that starts with nigerians singing the national anthem, what does nigeria do for you? We are already a soft state that is in gear 5 on the way to a failed state, as predicted in 2015.
gbeem! U hav said it all
Re: Efik, Southern Cameroon Consider Forming A Republic - Obong by JubalTheophilus: 1:54am On Oct 12, 2012
?
Re: Efik, Southern Cameroon Consider Forming A Republic - Obong by BetaThings: 2:53am On Oct 12, 2012
noblezone:

And what exactly did Jonathan do?
Wast it Jonathan that signed Bakassi away?
Bakassi is one of the prices Nigeria paid for Biafra and that was why a military person like OBJ could not do anything about it. Perhaps Jonathan would have declared war on Cameroun or what? Gowon and co, signed off Bakassi during the civil war, judgment was given in favour of Cameroun 10 years ago, is now, just this month that we all know that Bakassi is important to us?

You can hate Jonathan for all you like, but I advice you to hate him for another thing but not Bakassi.

Finally, I had said somewhere else that Biafra is a metaphor for Nigeria. Bakassi is a continuation of that metaphor.

Was the ICJ judgement based on that Gowon treaty with AHidjo? No
Please people should stop misleading others
ICJ based its judgement on agreements in existence before Gowon was born!
Re: Efik, Southern Cameroon Consider Forming A Republic - Obong by BetaThings: 2:56am On Oct 12, 2012
Jubal Theophilus: Nigerians did not quit oh ... It is GEJ & d fools that sold out Bakasi like OBJ , Gowan & etc that gave up just to spite d Biafras... We hav seen all sort of atrocitys under our government . Chai !
I don't like Obj but let us be truthful. God expects it of us
How can the activities of Obj in 2002 be to spite Biafra. Was there Biafra really in 2002?
Gowon's agreement with Ahidjo was repudiated by the SMC in 1975. It was not ratified by the SMC
ICJ judgement was not based on it
Re: Efik, Southern Cameroon Consider Forming A Republic - Obong by Onlytruth(m): 5:17am On Oct 12, 2012
BetaThings:
I don't like Obj but let us be truthful. God expects it of us
How can the activities of Obj in 2002 be to spite Biafra. Was there Biafra really in 2002?
Gowon's agreement with Ahidjo was repudiated by the SMC in 1975. It was not ratified by the SMC
ICJ judgement was not based on it

Yes, ICJ judgement was not based on it, but the international guarrantors who knew about Gowon's agreement with Ahijdo ensured that the court's judgement was implemented to the letter by Nigeria. Do you think that Nigeria can get away with international lawlessness? Potentially she can, (if she has international balls), but realistically she can't!
Ndigbo say that you do not tell a man with scrotal elephantiasis not to jump over a fence! Nigeria has scrotal leprosy (not even elephantiasis), some of which she inflicted upon herself by conducting the most vicious military campaign ever recorded by a country against internal dissent. So, the seeds of that vicious legacy is holding Nigeria hostage. Until Nigeria expiates of her evil past, she would likely be constantly picked upon and harrassed by international minnows.

How I wish that Cross river state people would remember the blood of innocent Biafrans who died trying to free them from Nigerian crucible.
Their lament should never forget the price paid in blood by people from Igboland, to keep them free.
That is my only concern. cool
Re: Efik, Southern Cameroon Consider Forming A Republic - Obong by WAXXSTAXX(m): 6:20am On Oct 12, 2012
Bakassi, Akwa Ibom, and Cross River State are not Biafran entities and, no Biafran force or organization can colonize Cross River and Bakassi. The Igbos must stop entertaining foolish thoughts of lumping themselves with the great peoples of Akwa Ibom, Cross River, Rivers, and Bayelsa with whom they have very little in common. Also, the Igbos should try to reconcile with the Yorubas with whom they have linguistical and possibly, cultural ties. It really beats my imagination as to why the Biafrans think they can subdue a people who once ruled, captured, and sold their forefathers into slavery. If not for the British who, due to their cultural and political insensitivities chose to group the old Calabar Province with the Igbos, the people wanted nothing whatsoever to do with the Igbos. Those who equate numerical strength with military power had better think again because they might have very bitter surprises visited upon them for making foolish moves. Be warned.

2 Likes

Re: Efik, Southern Cameroon Consider Forming A Republic - Obong by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 6:23am On Oct 12, 2012
WAXXSTAXX: Bakassi, Akwa Ibom, and Cross River State are not Biafran entities and, no Biafran force or organization can colonize Cross River and Bakassi. The Igbos must stop entertaining foolish thoughts of lumping themselves with the great peoples of Akwa Ibom, Cross River, Rivers, and Bayelsa with whom they have very little in common. Also, the Igbos should try to reconcile with the Yorubas with whom they have linguistical and possibly, cultural ties. It really beats my imagination as to why the Biafrans think they can subdue a people who once ruled, captured, and sold their forefathers into slavery. If not for the British who, due to their cultural and political insensitivities chose to group the old Calabar Province with the Igbos, the people wanted nothing whatsoever to do with the Igbos. Those who equate numerical strength with military power had better think again because they might have very bitter surprises visited upon them for making foolish moves. Be warned.

Which kind foolishness is dis one dis morning?
Re: Efik, Southern Cameroon Consider Forming A Republic - Obong by ITbomb(m): 7:19am On Oct 12, 2012
Bliss4Lyfe:

Which kind foolishness is dis one dis morning?
There is some sense in it
Re: Efik, Southern Cameroon Consider Forming A Republic - Obong by Onlytruth(m): 7:30am On Oct 12, 2012
WAXXSTAXX: Bakassi, Akwa Ibom, and Cross River State are not Biafran entities and, no Biafran force or organization can [size=14pt]colonize[/size] Cross River and Bakassi. The Igbos must stop entertaining foolish thoughts of lumping themselves with the great peoples of Akwa Ibom, Cross River, Rivers, and Bayelsa with whom they have very little in common. Also, the Igbos should try to reconcile with the Yorubas with whom they have linguistical and possibly, cultural ties. It really beats my imagination as to why the Biafrans think they can subdue a people who once ruled, captured, and sold their forefathers into slavery. If not for the British who, due to their cultural and political insensitivities chose to group the old Calabar Province with the Igbos, the people wanted nothing whatsoever to do with the Igbos. Those who equate numerical strength with military power had better think again because they might have very bitter surprises visited upon them for making foolish moves. Be warned.

There are too many foolish items in your comment; I don't even know where to start.

Newsflash, the Igbo don't "lump" themselves with anybody. You don't choose your ancestral neighbors, or people you have historically lived peacefully with. The Igbo happen to be in the East, and so do other non-Igbo groups. Nobody can ever wish that away. It is like some of the North Eastern tribes trying to wish away the Kanuri, or some of the NW tribes (or even the whole North) trying to wish away the Hausa. In fact, if any part of Northern states is excised to Niger republic or Chad, the truth is that the Hausa will feel insulted more than any other group there. That explains why you see some Igbo making statements here, some of which are stupid in my own opinion (like the guy who talked about colonizing someone).

As for Igbo making up with Yoruba, I personally think that Igbo have already done that many years ago, never mind Nairaland.
The Igbo make use of Lagos ports (sea and land) for business than any port in Eastern Nigeria. FACT.
The Igbo have embraced the west far more than they have the East. FACT.
If Igbo were still REALLY interested in Eastern Nigerian affairs, NOBODY WOULD CEDE BAKASSI TO CAMEROUN. FACT!

As for the rest of the mombo jumbo about slave trade, maybe you need to go and speak to the real slave catchers in Igboland -the Arochukwu -who made that possible and even built a powerful confederacy around it, snatching people and lands from their neigbors, Igbo and non-Igbo. So, don't be an eediot to talk about things you have little knowledge of.

Because we Ndigbo have fought a REAL modern war, and paid with millions of our lives, I doubt that any smart Igbo would engage any tribe in chest beating over military prowess/proclivities in Nigeria. As far as we know, no other tribe in Nigeria has EVER attempted what Ndigbo attempted, and lived to tell the story. So, you should go and get Bakassi back first, with or without Nigeria's support. After that, come back to argue with me. wink cool
Re: Efik, Southern Cameroon Consider Forming A Republic - Obong by GehernKamer: 8:00am On Oct 12, 2012
Even in their dreams,it will never happen.May be they don't the Cameroonian mentality has changed about separation. If you go in the streets of Southern Cameroon to ask about separation,one out of 20 might be i favor .Believe me , Cameroonians are now united like never before.My advice for them is to make a wise choice between going back to Nigeria or Become Cameroonians or Stay and respect the rules and regulation of the place.More over,i think if ever they have been molested by the Cameroonian Police, it may be due to provocation,The police are also humans. People should ask why only the Bakassi people are complaining ,there are over 4 million Nigerians in other parts of Cameroon,why do they not complain?.I am new in this forum .Hi to every one.
Re: Efik, Southern Cameroon Consider Forming A Republic - Obong by Tolexander: 4:19pm On Oct 12, 2012
smoothcrim2090: Nigeria and Cameroon belongs to Ghana. Now leave the area and let me RULE!!!
real symptoms of progeria
Re: Efik, Southern Cameroon Consider Forming A Republic - Obong by WAXXSTAXX(m): 11:41am On Nov 03, 2012
The Bakassi Peninsula is not a part of Nigeria's Southeast as currently politically constituted. The Cross River and Akwa Ibom people are one and the same and, should therefore, unite to work for a lasting solution to the issues dogging their displaced citizens.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Senate Approves State Of Emergency / Se Versus Sw,good And Healthy Competition,no Bashing,please.-obamaofusa / Osun Election: Iwu Denies Criticising INEC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.