Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,274 members, 7,811,804 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:01 PM

Court Weddings Vs Church Weddings - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Court Weddings Vs Church Weddings (18146 Views)

World's Most Expensive Engagement Rings, Weddings, And Cakes. / Why Is White Gown A Must For White/ Church Weddings? / D Things Happening In Weddings Surprises Me Check Out Dis Pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Court Weddings Vs Church Weddings by Alaafialoro(m): 3:25pm On Oct 14, 2012
Both will do the magic.. Court wedding will only come weeks before church wedding.
Re: Court Weddings Vs Church Weddings by cdamsel(f): 4:02pm On Oct 14, 2012
booqee: I tot no matter d kinda wedding you wanna do, court wedding is always compulsory?? usually done few days before the church wedding or traditional wedding, or plain engagement or whathaveyou?? .
neva heard its compulsory oh,I really doubt dat.
Re: Court Weddings Vs Church Weddings by tlops(m): 4:11pm On Oct 14, 2012
court: straight to the point no frivolities.
Re: Court Weddings Vs Church Weddings by OmoAlata(f): 4:14pm On Oct 14, 2012
cdamsel:

What are your thoughts?

We did both grin
Re: Court Weddings Vs Church Weddings by Goshen360(m): 4:17pm On Oct 14, 2012
Court wedding, church wedding or tradition wedding, A NT Christian is NOT bound by any of them. We do NOT explicitly have law or even commandment to be bounded by a particular one of them. What the NT testament preaches is "Husband, love your wife and wife, love your husband". What am afraid of is churches making church marriage COMPULSORY or even as prerequisite for church leadership. There is NO such commandment for Christian. Do whatever type of marriage you desire and you are okay.

2 Likes

Re: Court Weddings Vs Church Weddings by Johnsinia(m): 4:36pm On Oct 14, 2012
Goshen360: Court wedding, church wedding or tradition wedding, A NT Christian is NOT bound by any of them. We do NOT explicitly have law or even commandment to be bounded by a particular one of them. What the NT testament preaches is "Husband, love your wife and wife, love your husband". What am afraid of is churches making church marriage COMPULSORY or even as prerequisite for church leadership. There is NO such commandment for Christian. Do whatever type of marriage you desire and you are okay.
u r totally out of point. There may nt b a commandmt on marriage bt there was teaching thru d inspiratn of d holy spirit 2 his servants on dat. Dnt 4get paul teachin on marriage.
I preffered Church wedding 2 any type bc its a union done right in d presence of God as a wittness n blesser. U dnt ve 2 spend excessivly if u dnt ve; u can stil keep it low. minus dat, if u r a true member of ur church n belong 2 1 group or d oda, u will recieve assistance n donations.

1 Like

Re: Court Weddings Vs Church Weddings by CzarChris(m): 4:40pm On Oct 14, 2012
cdamsel: official b4 who?man or God?abi na pre-nup u no won sign? wink

Well, whenever i want to marry, i'll definitely sign a pre-nup with my would be if she insist on a court wedding.
If she wants just a church wedding with no legal backing, no probs, i'll paint the town the rainbow colour for her.
I didn't sweat blood and water, nor labour under rain and sunshine to make my money, for no chic who didn't know where/how i made my money,to come and claim half of it later. No f.uc.cking way. angry

2 Likes

Re: Court Weddings Vs Church Weddings by Omolola1(f): 4:57pm On Oct 14, 2012
Both go hand-in-hand. Church wedding without going to the registry is like one going on a journey without a briefcase!
Nowadays though, people don't really do church weddings especially those who av already taken in, they just do engagement then go straight to the registry which is the real marriage because it comes with legal backing.

Like a friend of mine would always say, church wedding, reception is just a formality! Signing the certificate is the real deal. If I were to choose, I'd go for the court wedding, then have a balmy reception.

But when am getting married, its church wedding all the way, then the registry! Its really very important to have legal backing, because the wedding is just one day.
Re: Court Weddings Vs Church Weddings by Dahbutter(m): 5:09pm On Oct 14, 2012
Church wedding are more difficult to break up as its a vow under God wrapped up in so much scary morality. I'd prefer a court wedding though where I can easily apply for a divorce for simple reasons like if "She" gets fat grin

1 Like

Re: Court Weddings Vs Church Weddings by Lizzyvonne: 5:20pm On Oct 14, 2012
I prefer church wedding 2 court wedding bt til then.
Re: Court Weddings Vs Church Weddings by Toktee(m): 5:21pm On Oct 14, 2012
Iam getting married next month,in living faith you must do the three,traditional,court before church,am still in the court process now,iz not easy
Re: Court Weddings Vs Church Weddings by 53cur3m0d3(m): 5:42pm On Oct 14, 2012
Toktee: Iam getting married next month,in living faith you must do the three,traditional,court before church,am still in the court process now,iz not easy
Wow!U'll be pronounced man and wife 3times.lolz..so wen do U guys start livin together?after the church wedding or U're already livin together as we speak?
Re: Court Weddings Vs Church Weddings by Ninilowo(m): 6:04pm On Oct 14, 2012
Do it the traditional way and carry on with life
Re: Court Weddings Vs Church Weddings by tomakint: 6:52pm On Oct 14, 2012
cdamsel: they both have their good sides so its kinda hard to pick.
Court weddings are fun cos its mostly close family & friends that attend & you save a lot of money & you've plenty sanity.there isn't much to worry about,because the reception is usually low key to.

Church weddings are very colourful & fun,I guess the idea that you took your vows in the presence of God puts more meaning to it than that your marriage is just binding on paper.

But if I am 2 choose I think I would go with church weddings,ironically I've been to just two weddings in my life, one was because I was the chief bridesmaid,it was such a drag,lol.

What are your thoughts?

Whether Church wedding or Court wedding, the most important is that you prepare your mind for the 'reality journey' you are about to embark on! Most times few people survive it, it takes the grace of God! So, Church or court wedding is immaterial to the reality on ground, just my penny worth!
Re: Court Weddings Vs Church Weddings by hustla(m): 6:53pm On Oct 14, 2012
Court weddings jare..I like lowkey str8 to d pt tinz.. Buh wife no go gree sad
Re: Court Weddings Vs Church Weddings by snapbackcheap: 7:12pm On Oct 14, 2012
53cur3m0d3: I'll cross that bridge wen I get there but I luv me som church weddings o.the fanfare and everything esp. dat part wen the Officiating Minister says "If dere's anybody who's against ...... , speak up now or forever remain silent"..I'll rili luv that moment's length to be 5mins
Re: Court Weddings Vs Church Weddings by vivianc(f): 7:17pm On Oct 14, 2012
Will definitely do the three.....traditional marriage could be low keyed, court and then church wedding. Not necessarily a fairy tale wedding. We will plan it according to what we can afford. When I think of the day I'd get married, I usually picture myself in a lovely wedding gown.
Re: Court Weddings Vs Church Weddings by bamto(m): 7:36pm On Oct 14, 2012
It seems many people are ignorant of the validity of marriages in the eye of the law. Take note of the following, before you end up contracting an invalid marriage.
Only three types of marriages are legally recognised. They are:
1. Statutory Marriage/Marriage under the Act. This involves strict formalities as contained in the Act, after which the Marriage Certificate is issued. Note that this type of marriage can be contracted either in a Registrar's office (court wedding) or a CERTIFIED/LICENSED place of worship. What you should therefore inquire from your priest is whether or not your church is a licensed place of worship. If it is, you don't have to bother your head about 'court wedding' but if its not, then you may observe the court wedding, and thereafter the ceremonial church wedding, which is of no legal consequence. As things stand, the Catholic Church, though not a licensed place of worship issues her own license (which is not recognised by law). The Church believes marriage is not the law's business but God's. If you contract a Catholic wedding therefore, without first going to court, you are on your own.
The other two types are Islamic and Traditional Marriages. These two are potentially polygamous while statutory is monogamous. Infact, the latter criminalises marrying more than a wife through the offence of bigamy.
Re: Court Weddings Vs Church Weddings by teniyi(m): 7:46pm On Oct 14, 2012
A simple Nikkah is what I prefer of all

1 Like

Re: Court Weddings Vs Church Weddings by tomakint: 8:06pm On Oct 14, 2012
wink
vivian chinaza: Will definitely do the three.....traditional marriage could be low keyed, court and then church wedding. Not necessarily a fairy tale wedding. We will plan it according to what we can afford. When I think of the day I'd get married, I usually picture myself in a lovely wedding gown.

wao i kinda love the last line, wish you the best! wink sweet you
Re: Court Weddings Vs Church Weddings by vivianc(f): 8:23pm On Oct 14, 2012
tomakint: wink
wao i kinda love the last line, wish you the best! wink sweet you

Thank you dear. God bless you.
Re: Court Weddings Vs Church Weddings by MyneWhite1(f): 9:43pm On Oct 14, 2012
Both are OK, but if doing in a church, make sure it is a registered church so your wedding will be legally recognized.
Re: Court Weddings Vs Church Weddings by godunia(m): 10:30pm On Oct 14, 2012
3 types of marriages are recognized and any of it it's valid on d law be it traditional,religious(marrying in d church or mosque) and marriage under d marriage act.i guess most of u here dat preferred religious marriage are selfish.if a religious organization has acquired license to perform marriage Act,that's ok since such marriage wld be protected under d law.if u marry under d Act,bigamy for instance is 25yrs imprisonment in d south west and d north 5yrs if u dare to marry another person while been legally married.how many wants to come under this law?the truth is only those who love and understand dat marriage is everlasting commitment wld .Divorce is very easy under d other 2 but very difficult under d act.marriage in d registry provides protection for the couple and still remain d best.u can stil hv yr funfare if u choose.
Re: Court Weddings Vs Church Weddings by tomakint: 10:31pm On Oct 14, 2012
vivian chinaza:

Thank you dear. God bless you.

you're welcome and i pray you find that right man soonest!
Re: Court Weddings Vs Church Weddings by Nobody: 10:34pm On Oct 14, 2012
Johnsinia:
u r totally out of point. There may nt b a commandmt on marriage bt there was teaching thru d inspiratn of d holy spirit 2 his servants on dat. Dnt 4get paul teachin on marriage.
I preffered Church wedding 2 any type bc its a union done right in d presence of God as a wittness n blesser. U dnt ve 2 spend excessivly if u dnt ve; u can stil keep it low. minus dat, if u r a true member of ur church n belong 2 1 group or d oda, u will recieve assistance n donations.

i think for the purposes of clarity and learning when we argue/discuss bible teachings its only appropriate we be specific with respect to bible verses. What was Paul's teaching on marriage?
Secondly am a bit perplexed by this constant referral to 'presence of God' in church weddings. Is God not present @ court weddings? Please lets not confuse the presence of a pastor/priest with that of God...

2 Likes

Re: Court Weddings Vs Church Weddings by damilarelr(m): 11:06pm On Oct 14, 2012
Toktee: Iam getting married next month,in living faith you must do the three,traditional,court before church,am still in the court process now,iz not easy
Wow..but in Living Faith, I think you can pay ahead to the church for the court certificate and it will be presented together with the church own during the church wedding.

A friend did hers recently and I really love the plan: the traditional was held on the Saturday morning of church wedding (8-10am) at a venue not far from the church, the church own was from 11am to 1am, and we all headed back to the former venue for reception from 2pm to 5pm. Mind you, the couple collected both the church and court certificates that same day.
Re: Court Weddings Vs Church Weddings by blackbeau1(f): 12:02am On Oct 15, 2012
I prefer church weddings.they are usually so beautiful
Re: Court Weddings Vs Church Weddings by Mynd44: 1:02am On Oct 15, 2012
tlops: court: straight to the point no frivolities.
i swear
Re: Court Weddings Vs Church Weddings by nannyo(f): 2:30am On Oct 15, 2012
I Did Court and tradiTion. In as muCh as church wedding is good, it can't be compared to court wedding for a lot of legal reasons, am so sleepy now and can't explain, but u can ask a lawyer for details. In Conclusion, when I was having probs with my husby, iF not for court we would have been separated with me married to someone else by now. ThankGoD we are back together. My Advise, if u want to remain in marriage, still add Court to ur list of marriAges, am not saying u can't divorce in court, But I know it saved my marriage.
Re: Court Weddings Vs Church Weddings by mamagee3(f): 3:04am On Oct 15, 2012
I personally prefer court weddings. . .

I just prefer smaller festivities to larger ones.
Re: Court Weddings Vs Church Weddings by Konnektions146(m): 4:26am On Oct 15, 2012
mama-gee:
I personally prefer court weddings. . .

I just prefer smaller festivities to larger ones.
i tell u, i no like crowd and de drama dat goes with it, its always more ssexy wenn small.

@op.
i will do both church and court wedding but nothin big.......no traditional wedding..bride price don do

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Are Men Willing To Wait For Sex Till Marriage? / I Need Help . Look At What My Current And Ex Girlfriend Did / Single Mothers Have Made Sex So Cheap In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.