Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,595 members, 7,812,952 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:26 PM

Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir (19859 Views)

Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? / Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC / Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by Ymodulus: 6:26pm On Oct 17, 2012
i have said it, i am saying it and will continue to say it.
hes my role model, my life my future, my inspiration.
hes the only reason i still look at a yoruba and smile. else i wud ave done disaster.

soyinka is telling the truth
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by Reggie2(m): 6:32pm On Oct 17, 2012
Was there a Genocide on a section of the Nigerian population before and during the Biafran war?
Can such mob actions ever be justified by any means and what ever reason(s)?
Was there immediate and remote causes to such action?
Can such reasons justify Genocide anywhere on planet earth?
Were there responsibilities? Independently of which part of the country such actors may come from?
If yes, then there ought to be a history book to tell the story to future generation of Nigerians; that is, if we are serious about ONE NIGERIA!
Two great AFRICAN minds of world repute (Chinua Achebe & Wole Soyinka)have commented on the issue. On NL little minds prattle garbage based on ethnic sentiments
Only enlightened minds can proffer an academically balanced approach to a rather sensitive episode that consumed millions of lives without sacrificing same on the alter of stupid parochialism.

Plz carry go.
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by Mcdondayan: 6:33pm On Oct 17, 2012
phreakabit:

Awo died with the truth? Get your facts right. He committed suicide! lipsrsealed
I heard he drank rat poison.
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by ba7man(m): 6:33pm On Oct 17, 2012
I'm back. Been reading up on the Biafran Civil war on Google. True, a blockade was effected but why did Ojukwu reject the aids when they were later allowed in?? He seemed more concerned about securing planes for his bombing campaign and weapons. At that point, he was detached from the realities of the war. He was more adept at leading troops. I also confirmed it that it was the Nigerian Airspace that aids was attempted to be delivered to Biafra. Ojukwu should have worked out an alternate route through Cameroon (An option that's glaring) since France was sympathetic to the Biafran cause. Ojukwu was probably too focused on the war front to realize his people were dying.
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by Mcdondayan: 6:38pm On Oct 17, 2012
dayokanu:

What can Andre Uweh do? Andre Uweh aka Tomakint, Abadaba, ngodigha has been outed already, Get busy and create another username. This time claim Ibibio or Edo cos studying in UI is not enough to be Yoruba.

Igbo kwenu? Umi Igbo? Why are you so ashamed of your ancestry that you have decided to claim Yoruba.

Is being Igbo that shameful. Amadioha ko Amalinze the cat ni

Bros Walahi Allah kwa.
So you read THINGS FALL APART and enjoyed it, and you dont want to believe a book written by the same author because he said the truth? Guy grow up pls.

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by Mcdondayan: 6:41pm On Oct 17, 2012
ba7man: I'm back. Been reading up on the Biafran Civil war on Google. True, a blockade was effected but why did Ojukwu reject the aids when they were later allowed in?? He seemed more concerned about securing planes for his bombing campaign and weapons. At that point, he was detached from the realities of the war. He was more adept at leading troops. I also confirmed it that it was the Nigerian Airspace that aids was attempted to be delivered to Biafra. Ojukwu should have worked out an alternate route through Cameroon (An option that's glaring) since France was sympathetic to the Biafran cause. Ojukwu was probably too focused on the war front to realize his people were dying.
My brother go and read again. Why do you think Nigeria lost Bakassi to Cameroon? When you find the answer, come back.

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by dayokanu(m): 6:41pm On Oct 17, 2012
Mcdondayan: So you read THINGS FALL APART and enjoyed it, and you dont want to believe a book written by the same author because he said the truth? Guy grow up pls

Achebe is known for fiction. Amalinze the cat only exists in Achebes imagination

Just like what he wrote in his latest book. Pure fiction
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by Abali1(m): 6:52pm On Oct 17, 2012
ba7man: I'm here to learn too nd I'm seeing another side to this whole thing. But are you sure the whole international community would have agreed to sit back and watch Awo carry out the total blockade? Biafra had allies too and they supplied weapons, why not food too?

My dear if you are really here to learn about the truth of the Nigerian Civil war, I will suggest you do some readings of related Texts about the civil war. Many books are out there, read up some of them and make your own conclusion.
As a Scholar you must have an open mind when reading these texts, and I believe that you will be able to arrive at your own conclusion about the civil war.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by Nchara: 6:55pm On Oct 17, 2012
Soyinka, one of the very few true Yoruba out there, has spoken.
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by lacosanostra: 6:55pm On Oct 17, 2012
DAYOKANU,EKO ILE,let me say dis about achebe and d nobel prize,do u guys knw angle of racism in him not winning d nobel prize nd do u guys knw how many people hv rejected d noble prize of literature with d way u guys talk about it.
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by dayokanu(m): 7:01pm On Oct 17, 2012
la cosa nostra: DAYOKANU,EKO ILE,let me say dis about achebe and d nobel prize,do u guys knw angle of racism in him not winning d nobel prize nd do u guys knw how many people hv rejected d noble prize of literature with d way u guys talk about it.

Racism was what made them deny Achebe Nobel but they gave Soyinka Nobel because he was a white man, Evidenced by his white hair abi?
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by sleek29(m): 7:01pm On Oct 17, 2012
Yes Nigeria didn't fight fair, but Ojukwu had zero military intellect, he ended up being disgraced and sent 3M people to their graves, how do you go into a war without proper study of how you intend to feed your people if you depend on 1. Nigerian airspace, 2. Nigerian waterways for your supplies, allies are very important, the least he could have done was to be sure he could count on cameroon, america wouldn't be able to do anything in the middle east if they don't have the likes of pakistan and saudi arabia. Fine Nigerian government lead my Gowon caused the genocide but Ojukwu is very much culpable for being all bragging and no planning
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by ba7man(m): 7:01pm On Oct 17, 2012
Mcdondayan:
My brother go and read again. Why do you think Nigeria lost Bakassi to Cameroon? When you find the answer, come back.
I'm back again ooo......Funny how planes were bringing in weapons but no food. Looks like a case of misplaced priority. And there was no total blockade, read these excerpts." The Biafrans were swift to understand the importance of air power and to start organizing a rag-tag air force, as well as using transport aircraft for bringing supplies of weapons into the country. Regular flights of Air Trans Africa DC-7s from South Africa were undertaken already since the summer of 1966: other aircraft operated from Portugal, via Portuguese Guinea (today Guinea-Bissau), and Cameroon. In October 1966, for example, a Royal Air Burundi DC-4M Argonaut, flown by a mercenary Henry Wharton alias Heinrich Wartski, crash landed at Garoua, in Cameroun....
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by abouzaid: 7:01pm On Oct 17, 2012
ba7man: I'm back. Been reading up on the Biafran Civil war on Google. True, a blockade was effected but why did Ojukwu reject the aids when they were later allowed in?? He seemed more concerned about securing planes for his bombing campaign and weapons. At that point, he was detached from the realities of the war. He was more adept at leading troops. I also confirmed it that it was the Nigerian Airspace that aids was attempted to be delivered to Biafra. Ojukwu should have worked out an alternate route through Cameroon (An option that's glaring) since France was sympathetic to the Biafran cause. Ojukwu was probably too focused on the war front to realize his people were dying.
my friend in all honesty u don't sound like an unbiased scholar, and ur really shallow on d facts of d civil war. Educating u would need reading a lot of books,saying nigeria should fly in food through cameroon is d most ignorant post of d yr so far. Also at d time of session, nigeria have no air force pilots while biafra have both indigenous and friendly pilots, u should read up on how nigeria gained air superiority, red cross planes were actually shot down over biafra territory, read up. Biafra was invaded so stop saying that they started d war. If u know little then stop posting till u know better.
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by EkoIle1: 7:02pm On Oct 17, 2012
la cosa nostra: DAYOKANU,EKO ILE,let me say dis about achebe and d nobel prize,do u guys knw angle of racism in him not winning d nobel prize nd do u guys knw how many people hv rejected d noble prize of literature with d way u guys talk about it.

They give Nobel to worthy people with superb and credible literary skills, not to failures with mediocre and tribalistic rubbish filled with hate, anger and lies. The Nobel people are not interested in hate and divisive lies talk less associating themselves with that ashebe loser...
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by abouzaid: 7:08pm On Oct 17, 2012
ba7man: I'm back again ooo......Funny how planes were bringing in weapons but no food. Looks like a case of misplaced priority. And there was no total blockade, read these excerpts." The Biafrans were swift to understand the importance of air power and to start organizing a rag-tag air force, as well as using transport aircraft for bringing supplies of weapons into the country. Regular flights of Air Trans Africa DC-7s from South Africa were undertaken already since the summer of 1966: other aircraft operated from Portugal, via Portuguese Guinea (today Guinea-Bissau), and Cameroon. In October 1966, for example, a Royal Air Burundi DC-4M Argonaut, flown by a mercenary Henry Wharton alias Heinrich Wartski, crash landed at Garoua, in Cameroun....
guy ur really sounding ignorant and asking for an ewar, u should read about the genesis of hunger in biafra. The first place kwashiokor occured was at asaba under general murtala muhammed. That place is not biafra but the ppl were igbos, u should also read about d genocide he committed there. Mind u they are nigerians not biafrans. Any more ignorant post from u, and u would recieve d flak ur asking for
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by RealMccoy2(m): 7:08pm On Oct 17, 2012
Rat race when truth appears spoken by a fearless Yoruba son-if truly he is from that cowardice clan. I am already tired of this topic. Achebe's audience are intellectuals with non oluwole degree, why should an internationally recognize individual bother himself over the likes of Ebenezer Babatope, an irrelevant Yoruba leader. Truth has been told, they should write their own memoir to debunk Achebe's. People that never saw war are hear talking about war story.....lol

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by logica(m): 7:12pm On Oct 17, 2012
abouzaid: Biafra was invaded so stop saying that they started d war.
When was Biafra invaded - before or after Biafra invaded the Mid-Western region? Just asking...
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by ba7man(m): 7:16pm On Oct 17, 2012
abouzaid: my friend in all honesty u don't sound like an unbiased scholar, and ur really shallow on d facts of d civil war. Educating u would need reading a lot of books,saying nigeria should fly in food through cameroon is d most ignorant post of d yr so far. Also at d time of session, nigeria have no air force pilots while biafra have both indigenous and friendly pilots, u should read up on how nigeria gained air superiority, red cross planes were actually shot down over biafra territory, read up. Biafra was invaded so stop saying that they started d war. If u know little then stop posting till u know better.
I just read it up. Flights entered Biafra from Portugal via Guinea Bissau and Cameroon carrying weapons.I also read it up that planes were shot at in the Nigerian. Airspace not Biafra since Nigerian forces could not penetrate effectively. Thank God for Google.
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by klax(m): 7:20pm On Oct 17, 2012
Please for goodness I beg every Benin, Yoruba and Hausa in the House to just ignore whatever any of my kinsmen is saying as per Biafra let my fellow men go back to my statement few days ago and answer all the question I asked their. Since some of my own people refused to wake up and leave the past and moved on let whoever want to die because of Biafra die is as simple as that.

I'm getting provoked day by day if not the warning my dad warned me in relation to discussion as per Biafra I would have done the unthinkable because the anger and vexation is boiling inside me for so long against the ojukwu's this man called Ojukwu made me not to have a single uncle till today by forcefully came to my grandparent HOME IN THE THEN village and took my supposed uncleS(FIVE YOUNG MEN) away to fight war and never return and Ojukwu kids are there with plenty uncles, Aunties, large family with lot of money and wealth isnit? And someone is here wanting FOR me to Hate Yoruba or Hausa who were the not the one that took my suppose to be uncleS away, who did not send us to war in the first place?

The truth this anger is burning inside me day and night its like a nightmare in my blood. I got no deal with Awolowo or Gowon I dont bloody care who a heel they are all I care about is Ojukwu because his boys were the ones that came to my grandparent home and took my uncles away and none ever return till today so its Ojukwu I have a deal with and I need explanation from him orelse one good day someone will pay for this anger inside me for sure.

Anybody can call me any names I dont give a f u c k and damn it, what pains me is waht am saying is not Yoruba, Hausa, Gowon, Soyinka etc all these are just bloody irrelevant. So if any one want to die because of Biafra I repeat go ahead and die for a man who went to war selfishly without due consultation. Die because of a man that left Billion worth of wealth for his kids and you are here sleeping in poverty and still ranting hell, Die for 1966 long dead issue in 2012 good for you but for me I will not and never HATE Yoruba or Hausa because of Biafra never and never because they did not send us to war or asked to go to war ok.

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by ba7man(m): 7:27pm On Oct 17, 2012
abouzaid: guy ur really sounding ignorant and asking for an ewar, u should read about the genesis of hunger in biafra. The first place kwashiokor occured was at asaba under general murtala muhammed. That place is not biafra but the ppl were igbos, u should also read about d genocide he committed there. Mind u they are nigerians not biafrans. Any more ignorant post from u, and u would recieve d flak ur asking for
Someones getting angry....nyways, the Nigerian troops had the habit of destroying farmlands so that resulted in the unavailability of food. My gripe is why fly in weapons only when u can also fly in food. At least I'v provided evidence that flights could enter via Cameroon. Provide me with counter points not telling me I'm ignorant, I don't think Igbo people are insultive, haughty and think people are below them but u r starting to play by that book.
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by balladin: 7:30pm On Oct 17, 2012
[quote author=odehaj]True igbos ought to go and piss on Ojukwu's grave!A true patriots would fight to the death for his people e.g Ghaddafi. Ojukwu on the other hand ran away from d war leaving I-diots to starve to death and now we can't hear word because they (igbos) have Been accepted&re-integrated into Nigeria.Let the SLUGS keep making noise. What if it were the other way round i.e Biafra had the food? They would have generously been feeding Nigerians right?

[/quote
You sound like a broken record. Just recycling posts, please say something new. We've heard that many times.
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by Yeske2(m): 7:38pm On Oct 17, 2012
Wole my main man, waited for his take on this issue and was i disappointed? No. One of the very few unbiased Yoruba man out there who says it the way it is no matter whose axe is gored. He just made me respect him the more, wish more folks could emulate him instead of the characteristic NL e-fights.
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by ba7man(m): 7:39pm On Oct 17, 2012
sleek29: Yes Nigeria didn't fight fair, but Ojukwu had zero military intellect, he ended up being disgraced and sent 3M people to their graves, how do you go into a war without proper study of how you intend to feed your people if you depend on 1. Nigerian airspace, 2. Nigerian waterways for your supplies, allies are very important, the least he could have done was to be sure he could count on cameroon, america wouldn't be able to do anything in the middle east if they don't have the likes of pakistan and saudi arabia. Fine Nigerian government lead my Gowon caused the genocide but Ojukwu is very much culpable for being all bragging and no planning
I so agree with you. Truely, Nigeria played dirty but food supply and allies are essential factors of warefare and Ojukwu ignored this and 3 million people paid the price. I have reached a conclusion, thank you.
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by nenepea(f): 7:40pm On Oct 17, 2012
klax: The jobless criers has come again with his silly post to heat up the house. Joblessness is a real bad thing and can make some a pure lunatic.

Seun or any moderator in the house kindly block this i d i o t who came here again today to raise this nonsense issue. Civil is dead and that is the end of the story whoever want to die because of civil 1966 can go and hug transformer. I'm so sick and angry waking up everyday to see a better thing to read and talk about on this site than a topic that will ends up as tribal jabs and stupidity.
shame on you. A nation that forget her past don't have a future. Better educate yourself on Nigeria history for your children's sake
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by abouzaid: 7:43pm On Oct 17, 2012
ba7man: Someones getting angry....nyways, the Nigerian troops had the habit of destroying farmlands so that resulted in the unavailability of food. My gripe is why fly in weapons only when u can also fly in food. At least I'v provided evidence that flights could enter via Cameroon. Provide me with counter points not telling me I'm ignorant, I don't think Igbo people are insultive, haughty and think people are below them but u r starting to play by that book.
it's funny u failed to read up that food supplies were being flied into biafra till d end of d war.inshort biafra was flying in both food till end of d war, it's laughable that u said that nigeria could not penetrate d biafra airspace. Pls read up on d russian m16 and their egyptian pilots. I'm busy now, talk later
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by Angel778(f): 7:43pm On Oct 17, 2012
Mad Cow: Soyinka is a Nobel Prize winning drug addict and Yoruba cultist...
so is your father! Disrespectful bastard!
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by abouzaid: 7:45pm On Oct 17, 2012
ba7man: I so agree with you. Truely, Nigeria played dirty but food supply and allies are essential factors of warefare and Ojukwu ignored this and 3 million people paid the price. I have reached a conclusion, thank you.
in that case, u were never here to learn. Good night and sweet dreams.
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by balladin: 7:45pm On Oct 17, 2012
klax: Please for goodness I beg every Benin, Yoruba and Hausa in the House to just ignore whatever any of my kinsmen is saying as per Biafra let my fellow men go back to my statement few days ago and answer all the question I asked their. Since some of my own people refused to wake up and leave the past and moved on let whoever want to die because of Biafra die is as simple as that.

I'm getting provoked day by day if not the warning my dad warned me in relation to discussion as per Biafra I would have done the unthinkable because the anger and vexation is boiling inside me for so long against the ojukwu's this man called Ojukwu made me not to have a single uncle till today by forcefully came to my grandparent HOME IN THE THEN village and took my supposed uncleS(FIVE YOUNG MEN) away to fight war and never return and Ojukwu kids are there with plenty uncles, Aunties, large family with lot of money and wealth isnit? And someone is here wanting FOR me to Hate Yoruba or Hausa who were the not the one that took my suppose to be uncleS away, who did not send us to war in the first place?

The truth this anger is burning inside me day and night its like a nightmare in my blood. I got no deal with Awolowo or Gowon I dont bloody care who a heel they are all I care about is Ojukwu because his boys were the ones that came to my grandparent home and took my uncles away and none ever return till today so its Ojukwu I have a deal with and I need explanation from him orelse one good day someone will pay for this anger inside me for sure.

Anybody can call me any names I dont give a f u c k and damn it, what pains me is waht am saying is not Yoruba, Hausa, Gowon, Soyinka etc all these are just bloody irrelevant. So if any one want to die because of Biafra I repeat go ahead and die for a man who went to war selfishly without due consultation. Die because of a man that left Billion worth of wealth for his kids and you are here sleeping in poverty and still ranting hell, Die for 1966 long dead issue in 2012 good for you but for me I will not and never HATE Yoruba or Hausa because of Biafra never and never because they did not send us to war or asked to go to war ok.

Obviously you've not been told everything about the war. Didn't igbos support Ojukwu to declare Biafra? I also lost an uncle to the war, the only difference is that he bravely volunteered to take up arms, just like many other young men. The same igbos esteemed Ojukwu till his death, yet you think Ojukwu is your problem? Can't you see your grouse is misplaced?

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by Nobody: 7:45pm On Oct 17, 2012
ba7man: OOOhhhhh.....So[b] Biafra was aware that their supply planes were still at the mercy of Nigerian airspace and expected Nigeria to allow them use it C'mon. Even the United states will bomb all supply lines, road, rail, airports etc during wars. Its warefare, its only logical. Why did it have to be Nigerian airspace they must use?[/b]? The sky is big enough for a billion alternate routes, what of the sea?? See?? I'm reasoning here not arguing blindly.

So you agree with me that Nigerian committed Genocide against Biafra?
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by IFEDILIEZE(m): 7:46pm On Oct 17, 2012
Mad Cow: Soyinka is a Nobel Prize winning drug addict and Yoruba cultist...
ur username says it all.
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by Nobody: 7:48pm On Oct 17, 2012

Man they only allowed for food to be brought in via Land which is not safe as it was poisoned by nigeria then thats why Ojukwu refused as foods that was flown from Portugual to Biafra was safe via Air and were flown by Foreign Pilots. Had ojukwu accepted the Land offer more people would have died

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Long Queue This Morning At Mobil Filling-Station Akowonjo Lagos - Pics / Despite Your Lies, Nigerians Still Prefer Buhari, Shittu Tells PDP / Withdraw 4000 Apc Members you Secretely Registered- PDP tells INEC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.