Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,520 members, 7,823,228 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:09 AM

Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms (19782 Views)

7 Myths About Fuel Economy / Carpet Grass Plated Car Seen On The Streets Of Akure, Ondo State / How Efficient Is This Fuel Economy Product, Xtreme Fuel Treatment (XFT)? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by 190theclown: 11:44pm On Oct 19, 2012
i NEED to hustle embarassed embarassed
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by Inspired4life: 11:46pm On Oct 19, 2012
Rossikk:

Actually, a rise in car purchases, including quality car purchases, points to a corresponding rise in consumer income, consumer spending and consumer confidence, which points to a growing/improving economy.

Perhaps you should study economics before posting on these issues.

Most of these cars are owned either by musicians, Nollywood actors or our corrupt politicians which is a very small subset of our population, so it does not necessarily points to a growing or improving economy. Moreover, most of the luxury cars in Nigeria are Toks, so what are saying...

3 Likes

Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by Rossikk(m): 11:46pm On Oct 19, 2012
take dat: Abeg @Op what sort of idiocy are you trying to display here? Is it your aim to encourage criminality cos most of the vehicles on display belongs to 419ners, Drug pushers, Subsidy thieves and ritualists excluding the artists.

Any proof to back your beer parlour analysis?

So because Dbanj drives an aston martins it means our economy is booming.

Did Felix Lebarty and Kris Okotie drive such vehicles in their own time? No. Not because they didn't fancy such rides, but because there was not enough money from their music to allow such a lifestyle, due to poor consumer spending power.

Go to major bus stops across the federation and see millions queuing to get a cab not to talk of those who would trek.

Go to major bus stops in New York City, London, and LA and you will also see millions queueing for buses and cabs, so what's your point?

1 Like

Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by kingsots(m): 11:47pm On Oct 19, 2012
Rossikk:

Actually, a rise in car purchases, including quality car purchases, points to a corresponding rise in consumer income, consumer spending and consumer confidence, which points to a growing/improving economy.

CORRECT!!
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by Nobody: 11:49pm On Oct 19, 2012
[quote author=acidtalk]If the youths want to work very hard to be able to buy the type of cars that cruise on our roads, we will have more ARMED ROBBERS than property owners in this country.

If fine cars dey blind poor man, all poor men for don blind for Lagos and Abuja.

This pictures will now allow Association Of Nigerian Professional Kidnappers relocate to Lagos Enmass.[/quote/]

More Armed robbers and kidnappers ke? Don't worry, FG will soon legalised the carrying of guns, then we'll know whow works harder... Abeg joor, if you've worked hard to make your money, try to enjoy a little before u know ooo

1 Like

Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by niggadee(m): 11:50pm On Oct 19, 2012
all dis exotics cars are europa made apart of the hummer and cadillac.god bless europe.
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by DeeAe: 11:57pm On Oct 19, 2012
lool this isn't a result of any rubbish economy, majority of those cars belong to politician's kids or oil 'masterminds' and for those of you familiar with abj and its street racers (darkknight or so) you'll grab. the rest are celebs that have made it big.
Show a government worker with such cars and i'll believe its economy
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by AZeD1(m): 12:01am On Oct 20, 2012
Rossikk:

Dude you must be one hell of an economist. I guess bankers losing jobs on a daily basis and the falling Naira also mean a booming economy.

PS: Spain and Italy are in trouble financially does that mean no one is by exotic cars in those countries?

2 Likes

Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by Nobody: 12:01am On Oct 20, 2012
Dee_Ae: lool this isn't a result of any rubbish economy, majority of those cars belong to politician's kids or oil 'masterminds' and for those of you familiar with abj and its street racers (darkknight or so) you'll grab. the rest are celebs that have made it big.
Show a government worker with such cars and i'll believe its economy

NOT EVEN IN THE USA, GERMANY OR UK will you find government workers driving Rolls Royce and Porsche.

1 Like

Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by jaxxy(m): 12:01am On Oct 20, 2012
I'm a car freak/enthusiast so I love dem cars bt pls dis has got notin 2 do wit d economy ok. Just a whole lot of crooks and a few fortunate peeps/entertainer(cos d music/entertainment industry is coming up) showing of their doe and a few their passion 4 cars. THE END!
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by takedat(m): 12:01am On Oct 20, 2012
Rossikk:

Any proof to back your beer parlour analysis?

Did Felix Lebarty and Kris Okotie drive such vehicles in their own time? No. Not because they didn't fancy such rides, but because there was not enough money from their music to allow such a lifestyle, due to poor consumer spending power.

Go to major bus stops in New York City, London, and LA and you will also see millions queueing for buses and cabs, so what's your point?

Guy there are fast and luxury cars even in poorer countries. Being able to afford those cars depend on your hustle and not because the economy is booming. There are millionaires in several poorer nations with low per capital income but for the mere fact that you see a selected few cruising doesn't translate to economic growth or development.
Most Nigerian artistes have widen their scope beyond Nigeria eg Dbanj, you cannot claim the level of his wealth is due to Nigeria' economy

2 Likes

Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by Nobody: 12:04am On Oct 20, 2012
A-ZeD:

Dude you must be one hell of an economist. I guess bankers losing jobs on a daily basis and the falling Naira also mean a booming economy.

Consumer spending is rising across the board in Nigeria (9% per annum - all-time high). As bankers are losing jobs so are other bankers and other professions - including entrepreneurs getting hired and succeeding.

PS: Spain and Italy are in trouble financially does that mean no one is by exotic cars in those countries?

Car sales are down in all those countries commensurate with their economic travails.

1 Like

Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by Nobody: 12:04am On Oct 20, 2012
Rossikk:

To a small extent. Majority of the people with the elite cars are the elite. The elite do not make up to 30% of the population. The increase in consumer spending is not widespread so you can't expect it to be an engine of economic growth. That a few people have these cars doesn't mean there is a general increase in retail sales.

3 Likes

Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by Nobody: 12:06am On Oct 20, 2012
take dat: Guy there are fast and luxury cars even in poorer countries. Being able to afford those cars depend on your hustle and not because the economy is booming. There are millionaires in several poorer nations with low per capital income but for the mere fact that you see a selected few cruising doesn't translate to economic growth or development.
Most Nigerian artistes have widen their scope beyond Nigeria eg Dbanj, you cannot claim the level of his wealth is due to Nigeria' economy

Nigeria car imports rise 15 percent in half of 2012

New car imports into Nigeria rose 15 percent in the first half of 2012, compared with the same period last year, as credit flows recovered in Africa's second-biggest economy, dealers said on Monday.

Car sales in Nigeria are a proxy measure for consumer purchasing power and analysts see them as a good indicator of economic growth in the continent's most populous nation.

Nigeria's economy grew 6.17 percent in the first quarter of this year, down from 7.68 percent in the fourth quarter last year, according to official figures.

Nigerian port figures showed new vehicle imports increased to 24,158 units in the first six months to June, from 21,024 units in the same period of last year, as bank credit started to trickle in, according to vehicle importers.

http://www.africanoutlookonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4874:nigeria-car-imports-rise-15-percent-in-half-of-2012&catid=47:busioness-economy-money-a-investment-news&Itemid=555
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by AZeD1(m): 12:07am On Oct 20, 2012
ROSSIKE:

Consumer spending is rising across the board in Nigeria (9% per annum - all-time high). As bankers are losing jobs so are other bankers and other professions - including entrepreneurs getting hired and succeeding.

Car sales are down in all those countries commensurate with their economic travails.
So where did you get data that car sales are up in Nigeria?
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by Nobody: 12:08am On Oct 20, 2012
I like the way the G class in D banj's garage was gathering dust...kinda cool, just the way I saw a jaguar looking really ordinary in someone's garage when I was a kid
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by 2chains1(m): 12:08am On Oct 20, 2012
Abeg! Boom what? Screech Abeg! Out of the 140m pple in d country plus the flood in 35states and over 100,000 displaced people, crashing naira, from fuel scarcity to scarcity, subsidy scam, MTN win aeroplane promo, you now say boom? Wealth is distributed amongst the top 5% of the country, the rest are from middle class to absolutely poor. And that's a booming economy? Taking loan of over a hundred billion from china to back up our own spending and projects, that's a booming economy right. Chairman swerve Abeg!

4 Likes

Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by crisycent: 12:08am On Oct 20, 2012
These Rolls Royce are OLD modern....Men don dey drive GHOST!!! But my life go change if i get one of these cars. shocked shocked grin grin
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by samkoro: 12:09am On Oct 20, 2012
ballabriggs: Typical Nigg.ar mentality.

Car na measure of progress. Chai Black man black sense. I was expecting stuff like manufacturing value added rises as the economy booms. I was expecting Nigeria's steel mill hits 50% of planned output as economy booms. Or even Women literacy rate up by 20%. I see cars imported from another mans land.

What does it take to have these? Oil price rises, you earn more Petrodollars, income rises, you import more and you rejoice. SMH

GOD BLESS YOU !
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by Nobody: 12:09am On Oct 20, 2012
^^^ Illiterate!
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by DammyObamo(m): 12:11am On Oct 20, 2012
Someone mentioned davido, microphone and economy? Hahahahahahahahaha. -__-
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by niggadee(m): 12:11am On Oct 20, 2012
hustle hard and become member of the team.. everything is possible
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by Nobody: 12:12am On Oct 20, 2012
ballabriggs: Typical Nigg.ar mentality.

Car na measure of progress. Chai Black man black sense. I was expecting stuff like manufacturing value added rises as the economy booms. I was expecting Nigeria's steel mill hits 50% of planned output as economy booms. Or even Women literacy rate up by 20%. I see cars imported from another mans land.

What does it take to have these? Oil price rises, you earn more Petrodollars, income rises, you import more and you rejoice. SMH

You're a complete dunce. And please leave 'blacks' out of this because you're not fit to kneel in the same room as a black man, you worthless orangutan.

If you had a working brain which you don't, you'd realise that rising consumer purchases, of which car purchases are an integral aspect, are one of the MAJOR indicators of economic upswing in any country. Oh, and oil accounts for less than 14% of Nigeria's GDP, so attributing the economic boom to 'oil prices' is another sad demonstration of your economic illiteracy.
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by AZeD1(m): 12:14am On Oct 20, 2012
ROSSIKE: ^^^ Illiterate!
Actually you are the illiterate. where have you seen car purchase only used as the basis of a booming economy?
Has the number of jobless people reduced?
Has GDP increased?
Has income per capital in Nigeria increased?
Has the quality of life of the people improved?

3 Likes

Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by niggadee(m): 12:17am On Oct 20, 2012
at op good for europeans car manufacturers countries economy not nigeria.
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by 2chains1(m): 12:18am On Oct 20, 2012
Sorry but these cars are not made nor assembled nor sold by the Nigerian government, so how does this help?

1 Like

Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by ballabriggs: 12:18am On Oct 20, 2012
ROSSIKE:

You're a complete dunce. And please leave 'blacks' out of this because you're not fit to kneel in the same room as a black man, you worthless orangutan.

If you had a working brain which you don't, you'd realise that rising consumer purchases, of which car purchases are an integral aspect, are one of the MAJOR indicators of economic upswing in any country.

What a mental case. You need help and very fast help. I'm more intelligent than this your empty noise making of cars as a sign of progress for an economy. Like I said oil prices rise, government revenue rises, consumption rises. You spend your foreign exchange to boost their economy and you rejoice.

Even a low life like you will boost an economy in such a situation.

2 Likes

Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by takedat(m): 12:20am On Oct 20, 2012
ROSSIKE:

Nigeria car imports rise 15 percent in half of 2012

New car imports into Nigeria rose 15 percent in the first half of 2012, compared with the same period last year, as credit flows recovered in Africa's second-biggest economy, dealers said on Monday.

Car sales in Nigeria are a proxy measure for consumer purchasing power and analysts see them as a good indicator of economic growth in the continent's most populous nation.

Nigeria's economy grew 6.17 percent in the first quarter of this year, down from 7.68 percent in the fourth quarter last year, according to official figures.

Nigerian port figures showed new vehicle imports increased to 24,158 units in the first six months to June, from 21,024 units in the same period of last year, as bank credit started to trickle in, according to vehicle importers.

http://www.africanoutlookonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4874:nigeria-car-imports-rise-15-percent-in-half-of-2012&catid=47:busioness-economy-money-a-investment-news&Itemid=555

Am not disputing the fact that Nigerians are car freaks but what % of the population can afford these cars? How many owners of these cars do you know how they made their monies? A typical Naija rich person can own an average of 4 cars and it doesn't translate but how many are without cars. So because few people are building houses in highbrow areas while thousands are relocating to ghettos and slums means economic boom.
Do we have any of those cars produced in Nigeria but the little growth we are making makers of automobiles and car marts in foreign countries take back from us. Do you know that BMW has a factory in SA but we drive more BMW's than them.
In Fela's voice this is suffering and smiling, just one sitting and 99 standing

3 Likes

Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by ballabriggs: 12:22am On Oct 20, 2012
ROSSIKE:
Oh, and oil accounts for less than 14% of Nigeria's GDP, so attributing the economic boom to 'oil prices' is another sad demonstration of your economic illiteracy.

Oil accounts for over 80% of your export earnings and government revenue. I don't expect a m0r0n like you to understand - beyond what you copy and paste from wikipedia- the implications for such an economy.

1 Like

Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by Nobody: 12:23am On Oct 20, 2012
After viewing the cars in this thread, dunno if I'll still feel good driving my car home tonight embarassed
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by FrankC3: 12:24am On Oct 20, 2012
First, I want to agree that the this does not suggest an expanding middle class but a growing upper class. I repeat that most of those guys with those cars are the regular artistes we see in concert, who made money from the CDs they sell to us. AY and P-Square were just average street guys less than 15 years ago. Any society that afford these guys such fast transition straight to the upper class is worth commending. Most importantly, it makes a statement that anybody can make it in Nigeria. It also makes a statement that ours is a society where hard work pays and opportunities available and accessible to all.

Secondly, while many will desire news that highlight the things that are wrong with Nigeria, I guess we should also understand that many hardworking fellow are daring and are succeeding beyond measures. While some bankers are losing their jobs, many others are changing jobs. Entrepreneurs who dare are succeeding. Some people have their containers on high sea as we are speaking. YouWin guys are daring and will also likely succeed. The effective change in the size of the middle class cannot just be measured by the number of people that lost their jobs but also by the number of people that got even better jobs within the same time frame. The local content law has sent many foreigner home and our people are replacing them. The labour economy is just too dynamic for someone to conclude that bankers losing their jobs means a drop in middle class.

Are Nigerians sophisticated and heavy consumers? The answer is yes. People make money for each N100 MTN recharge card someone load, not just MTN!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Automatic Transmission: Do Their Benefits Outweigh Their Issues? / What Happens If You Take The Car Key Out While Driving? / New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.