Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:48 AM

Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms (19773 Views)

7 Myths About Fuel Economy / Carpet Grass Plated Car Seen On The Streets Of Akure, Ondo State / How Efficient Is This Fuel Economy Product, Xtreme Fuel Treatment (XFT)? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by OmoTier1(m): 12:15pm On Oct 20, 2012
sconsults: Life[size=18pt]Life is good. Made 2billion naira on a 1 million naira investment within 11 months ,thats why i love this country[/size]
What Ds like you do not know is that those in money do not talk much, why? their money speaks... so go back to your plate of garri with kano groundnut angry

1 Like

Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by omoeso(m): 12:23pm On Oct 20, 2012
@ poster, I believe you getting it wrong here. We all need to look at the whole issue from a different angle. You are being carried away because of your childish way or reasoning.

1. We've always had and will ever have exotic cars till thy kingdom come. 20-30yrs ago, we've always had expensive cars and ppl have been acquiring dem time immemorial. The range rovers, shagari type benz, Royce, Bently, citroen, aston martins, etc. Some people actually bought those rides the (Subomi balogun, ojukwu, Dantatas, business and entertainment moguls etc) ask dem how much they got to rides den in reference to cost of living then and you'll know its not something new. Its basically dat its ur time now and you believe the economy is growing cause ppl are buying something more recent now.

2. Also, you don't have to be an Economist to know that the population of the country has grown overtime thus leading to more people acquiring such luxury cars. Example, if in the 80s we have a ppltion of 80M nigerians, and the number of luxury cars den was around 500k, now dat we have over 160M ppl, definitely we should have luxury cars owners climbing up to a million or even more (ceteris paribus) so mr poster, telling me because ppl are buying xpensive cars now means Nigerian economy is booming is just a fallacy. I can bet you in the next 20 yrs, a kid like you will surely come up with the same ideology. FACT!
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by Nobody: 1:09pm On Oct 20, 2012
omoeso: @ poster, I believe you getting it wrong here. We all need to look at the whole issue from a different angle. You are being carried away because of your childish way or reasoning.

1. We've always had and will ever have exotic cars till thy kingdom come. 20-30yrs ago, we've always had expensive cars and ppl have been acquiring dem time immemorial. The range rovers, shagari type benz, Royce, Bently, citroen, aston martins, etc. Some people actually bought those rides the (Subomi balogun, ojukwu, Dantatas, business and entertainment moguls etc) ask dem how much they got to rides den in reference to cost of living then and you'll know its not something new. Its basically dat its ur time now and you believe the economy is growing cause ppl are buying something more recent now.

2. Also, you don't have to be an Economist to know that the population of the country has grown overtime thus leading to more people acquiring such luxury cars. Example, if in the 80s we have a ppltion of 80M nigerians, and the number of luxury cars den was around 500k, now dat we have over 160M ppl, definitely we should have luxury cars owners climbing up to a million or even more (ceteris paribus) so mr poster, telling me because ppl are buying xpensive cars now means Nigerian economy is booming is just a fallacy. I can bet you in the next 20 yrs, a kid like you will surely come up with the same ideology. FACT!

My friend will you zip your economic illiterate lips. You think I'm your mate? I'm probably old enough to be your father, so chill right there. When we talk of increased household spending and increased consumer spending, THAT is AFTER population increase is factored in as even student economists will tell you. I bet you've not clicked on a single link detailing the rate of economic growth, GDP per capita etc, since all that means tasking your dull brain. All these emergency economists need to really keep quiet and learn, instead of polluting this thread with their layman babbling.
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by Nobody: 1:19pm On Oct 20, 2012
ImpactWorld: Why are nigerians so negative? Why do we bring politics into every issue? Is it lack of deep knowledge or just deep hatred for the govt?
@ Op, u have done well. For those using their opinions as facts, not so long ago, nigerians largely used bicycles & motorcycles. Since OBJ raised minimum wagecivil servants now afford cars. Again, Household furnishing with TV & electronics used to be standard for up-coming youths. Now it is cars. As the prof said in another thread, most nigerians CAN spend minimum of #100 weekly on their phones. Or is it when everyone drives Bentley that we will believe the economy is improving?

My brother, when I was a student in uni back in the 80s and early 90s, for a student to own a car - any car, even Volks - was a VERY BIG DEAL. In fact that was a one way ticket to getting any babe you wanted on campus, and becoming a big boy on campus overnight. You were so big that even LECTURERS would hitch a ride from you and curry your favour - so poor and underpaid were they. Today it's a different story. Cars are like bicycles on campus these days. Even Year 1 boys and girls are pulling 4x4's and luxury rides. Lecturers are now well paid and can pretty much drive any car they like.

Even 'runs girls', back in those days, when a sugar daddy lands campus to take them away, they'd take them to hang out for the night and return the babes the next day after giving them a few naira to buy cosmetics and dresses. Today, tori don change. The babes are returning to campus with Jeeps and holiday trips to Dubai. I mean, ANYONE who cannot see that the Nigerian economy has VASTLY improved from years back is either blind, very young, or just plain dumb. Those of us who know what it used to be like know better.

Of course no one says we are there yet, but we have made some commendable strides.
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by NinoDeDios: 1:37pm On Oct 20, 2012
lacasa: Which Economy? grin

When just yesterday the UN sent out warnings thαt Nigeria's poverty index is at its highest ever & increasing at an alarming rate undecided

Pls help me explain to this genius OP that the incredible wealth of a few does not translate to an economic boom
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by Nobody: 1:40pm On Oct 20, 2012
^^^ Always ''a few''. Even when Shoprite wanted to establish in Nigeria, GOATS like you told them not to try it because ''only a few'' could afford to patronise them. Shoprite ignored your expert advice and the result: 700 more retail outlets in the pipeline for Nigeria owing to their resounding success so far. It turned out that it was a lot more than just ''a few'' Nigerians who could afford their wares.

See the problem with folks like you is that you think ONLY YOU is eating in your house and every other Nigerian is starving. Keep on deceiving yourself, while the country powers on.

^^^^ Luxury Brands Target Nigeria As Boom Economy Creates New Class of Elite

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/22/luxury-brands-nigeria_n_1372164.html
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by NinoDeDios: 1:40pm On Oct 20, 2012
lacasa: Which Economy? grin

When just yesterday the UN sent out warnings thαt Nigeria's poverty index is at its highest ever & increasing at an alarming rate undecided
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by Nobody: 2:00pm On Oct 20, 2012
^^^ Anyone notice how no link has yet been dropped to back up this claim despite it having been made several times on this thread?.
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by Nobody: 2:27pm On Oct 20, 2012
Who remembers in the days of Abacha when THIS junk used to be a symbol that bobos were trying'? grin cool For some, like civil servants, it was actually a sign that they'd arrived.

I remember some guys back then who used to pull this ride. If you see how they used to form big boy when entering the ride, as if they were entering a Rolls. In fact leave matter... things don change. grin grin
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by Nobody: 2:30pm On Oct 20, 2012
in the narrow bizarre world of rossike , the purchase of a hundred luxury cars with a total market value of say 10 million dollars (assuming the average cost of each car is $100,000) is a sign that the economy is booming. in the world of rossike, consumer purchases of 1.6 billion naira by a tiny group of celebrities means that the nigerian economy is on the upswing

what a simpleton. if he had posted evidence that working class nigerians are now earning enough to buy brand new cars en masse, one might grudgingly concede or resident 'the man is holding us down' noisemaker was making some sense. alas, this old man has the mind of a teeny bopper. the next thing he will be posting pictures of psquare and dbanj cribs as evidece that there is a 'housing boom'

comedian - the same dunce who was crowing over india''s power failure, acting as loudspeaker fr the unspeakbly incompetent nigerian police has come again. maybe our man has a car wash business which caters to these celebrities, and the crumbs are getting to his head.
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by Nobody: 2:33pm On Oct 20, 2012
ROSSIKE: Who remembers in the days of Abacha when THIS junk used to be a symbol that bobos were trying'? grin cool For some, like civil servants, it was actually a sign that they'd arrived.

precisely, slow thinker. those civil servants thought just like you do. for them driving the car in vogue was a sign that the country is good, even if you have to drive it through a pothole filled road. ghetto fabulous rossik wink

smarter people than you have already pointed out that todays must have luxury consumer item is tomorrows scrap.

you should wonder why ostentatious spending and poverty are hand in hand in Africa
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by Nobody: 2:40pm On Oct 20, 2012
oyb: in the narrow bizarre world of rossike , the purchase of a hundred luxury cars with a total market value of say 10 million dollars (assuming the average cost of each car is $100,000) is a sign that the economy is booming. in the world of rossike, consumer purchases of 1.6 billion naira by a tiny group of celebrities means that the nigerian economy is on the upswing

what a simpleton. if he had posted evidence that working class nigerians are now earning enough to buy brand new cars en masse, one might grudgingly concede or resident 'the man is holding us down' noisemaker was making some sense. alas, this old man has the mind of a teeny bopper. the next thing he will be posting pictures of psquare and dbanj cribs as evidece that there is a 'housing boom'

comedian - the same dunce who was crowing over india''s power failure, acting as loudspeaker fr the unspeakbly incompetent nigerian police has come again. maybe our man has a car wash business which caters to these celebrities, and the crumbs are getting to his head.

I don't blame you. I blame your lousy village school teachers. If you had an economics education beyond that of a gnat, you would immediately connect increased spending on luxury goods to an economic upswing. This is standard economics accepted worldwide. Of course other proofs include increased spending on general consumables as well. Studies have shown increased spending on virtually every convenience, from refrigerators to microwaves:

http://blogs.ft.com/beyond-brics/2011/09/27/nigeria-a-microwave-boom/#axzz1ZB7z8YlW

Read here how reduced spending on luxury items in China signifies economic slowdown:

http://www.outsider-trading.com/chinese-spending-on-luxury-goods-fall/

Of course there's no great mystery to the link between a rise in luxury spending and economic recovery. As GDP per capita rises, many of those who were middle-class during the downturn have been pushed into upper middle class, raising the demand for luxury items. Many of the working class have been pushed up to middle class. (See Actis Report (ten million Nigerians enter middle class in the last 5 years)

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704422204576130064161822374.html

So dude, I COME WITH FACTS. Well researtched, cutting edge facts.

Not innuendo and beer parlour nonsense.

FACTS.
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by Nobody: 2:51pm On Oct 20, 2012
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?s=f45e25286794760a529f31c2f638ca2d&t=1451241

long hiss - this noisemaker simply copied a thread from december 2011.

in that thread, people were merely discussing upscale cars, but our economy is booming noisemaker repackages it as a series of bizarre lies

ROSSIKE:

I don't blame you. I blame your lousy village school teachers. If you had an economics education beyond that of a gnat, you would immediately connect increased spending on luxury goods to an economic upswing. This is standard economics accepted worldwide. Of course other proofs include increased spending on general consumables as well. Studies have shown increased spending on virtually every convenience, from refrigerators to microwaves:

http://blogs.ft.com/beyond-brics/2011/09/27/nigeria-a-microwave-boom/#axzz1ZB7z8YlW

ode. when increased spending on luxury good is by less than 1% of the population what does that say?

are you really so daft that you fail to realise that outside of very successful celebrities, the only people who get brand new cars in nigeria are workers in corporate entities?

dont you have anything cureent - you keep spamming this board with last years predictions -

blog post is september 2011
RenCap’s report, which questioned more than 1,000 middle class Nigerians, points to a burgeoning middle class which is well educated (with over 90 per cent having obtained post-secondary education), mostly under the age of 40 and which saves a significant amount of its annual income of roughly $6,000- $7,000.
- thats 1.1 m a year
and this bloody dunce tells us nigerians are buying $50,000 cars enmasse.
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by Nobody: 3:02pm On Oct 20, 2012
oyb: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?s=f45e25286794760a529f31c2f638ca2d&t=1451241

long hiss - this noisemaker simply copied a thread from december 2011.

in that thread, people were merely discussing upscale cars, but our economy is booming noisemaker repackages it as a series of bizarre lies

ode. when increased spending on luxury goods is by less than 1% of the population what does that say?

Where did you get your ''less than 1% of the population'' from?

Show us the stats to prove what you are saying, THE WAY I DO or admit you're a bitter charlatan with no back-up.

are you really so daft that you fail to realise that outside of very successful celebrities, the only people who get brand new cars in nigeria are workers in corporate entities?

Are you that daft that you fail to realise that if those groups you mentioned are doing so more than a few years ago even after accounting for population increase, that it SIGNIFIES an improving economy?

Tell me: Have you EVER studied economics even at secondary school level? I can swear by my family you haven't.

and this bloody dunce tells us nigerians are buying $50,000 cars enmasse.

Save that insult for your mother, you nasty asswwipe. You can claim I said words like ''enmasse'' since you have nothing but spite, lies, no back up links to rely on.
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by Nobody: 3:06pm On Oct 20, 2012
the only thing i can draw from this thread is advice to forget school and try to become a pop star
that for me is actually the frightening thing about nigeria's growing music industry - it means our most successful exports will be what is refeered to as the idle/dumb rich
entertiners, people who will be individually wealthy, but who will not ultimatley contribute significantly to the economy, and who will derail our youth from pursuits that can turn this country around.

the asians have a manic work ethic - the westerners are losing theirs to the hype of mtv cribs etal. and that is what this silly thread really promotes.
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by Nobody: 3:14pm On Oct 20, 2012
^^^ You're talking maximum garbage. Only an fool will swallow the line that ''only Nollywood actors, musicians'' drive luxury cars in Nigeria. You're bitter. Many entrepreneurs - traders, business owners, industrialists, highly educated professionals, are experiencing rising wealth. We have indigenous car manufacturing firms in Nigeria - INNOSON Motors. That company employs thousands of Nigerians. Tomorrow you'll see their CEO in his Rolls and you'll call him a musician?

We have law firms making a killing today, as increased FDI means more and more international companies seeking a stake in the Nigerian market, and needing local law firms to ease them in to the Nigerian economy. Tomorrow you'll see a lawyer from one of those firms in a Bentley in Lagos traffic and call him a Nollywood entertainer?

This is why I say we need to shun lazy stereotypes and ignorance on this site. Things are happening in tnis economy, and what people need to do, is carve out their stake, and shun negativity.
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by Nobody: 3:16pm On Oct 20, 2012
Where did you get your ''less than 1% of the population'' from?

Show us the stats to prove what you are saying, THE WAY I DO or admit you're a bitter charlatan with no back-up.

simpleton, you posted pictures of at most 40 cars as evidence that nigerias economy is booming.

meanwhile, in one of your copy and paste links , it is stated that the middle class is 37 million - (i have to wonder what that middle class is, but thats for another day)

so please tell me how 30 over 37 million is greater than 1%

or are you even more simple than i thought?

Are you that daft that you fail to realise that if those groups you mentioned are doing so more than a few years ago even after accounting for population increase, that it SIGNIFIES an improving economy?

Tell me: Have you EVER studied economics even at secondary school level? I can swear by my family you haven't

slow thinker, even here you fall short - most companies are now buying korean vehicles as against chinese for their fleets because the korean vehicles are cheaper - does that spell boom to you?

RenCap’s report, which questioned more than 1,000 middle class Nigerians, points to a burgeoning middle class which is well educated (with over 90 per cent having obtained post-secondary education), mostly under the age of 40 and which saves a significant amount of its annual income of roughly $6,000- $7,000.

please explain to me how 1.1 million a year - which comes to less than 100k per month before tax etal represents an economic boom. throw in taxes, pension gund etal, and it drops to 75k. you think a person earning that kind of money is going to buy anything other than a 700k car?

Save that insult for your mother, you nasty asswwipe. You can claim I said words like ''enmasse'' since you have nothing but spite, lies, no back up links to rely on.
seems your mother was a syphilitic LovePeddler who transfered the ailment to you during childbirth. that is the best explanation for your congenital stupidity and outright madness.if them born you well, insult my mother again. animal
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by Nobody: 3:24pm On Oct 20, 2012
ROSSIKE: ^^^ You're talking maximum garbage. Only an fool will swallow the line that ''only Nollywood actors, musicians'' drive luxury cars in Nigeria. You're bitter. Many entrepreneurs - traders, business owners, industrialists, highly educated professionals, are experiencing rising wealth. We have indigenous car manufacturing firms in Nigeria - INNOSON Motors. That company employs thousands of Nigerians. Tomorrow you'll see their CEO in his Rolls and you'll call him a musician?

We have law firms making a killing today, as increased FDI means more and more international companies seeking a stake in the Nigerian market, and needing local law firms to ease them in to the Nigerian economy. Tomorrow you'll see a lawyer from one of those firms in a Bentley in Lagos traffic and call him a Nollywood entertainer?

This is why I say we need to shun lazy stereotypes and ignorance on this site. Things are happening in tnis economy, and what people need to do, is carve out their stake, and shun negativity.

offtopic - classic rossike - i would really have to wonder if the CEO of a car manufacturing company cannot use his own vehicle - but then that's rossike reasoning for you.

what rising wealth are you blathering about? is it the dubious wealth of the Jimoh ibrahims, otedolas, ibrus etal? every other day, large numbers of the so called successful entrepreneurs you keep lionizing are being exposed as charlatans looting their companies into the ground.

until you can point to a change in the life of the average nigerian, not the few in the rarefied upper crust, you are talking the bollocks we know you so well for.
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by Nobody: 3:25pm On Oct 20, 2012
oyb:

simpleton, you posted pictures of at most 40 cars as evidence that nigerias economy is booming.

Brainless turd, you want me to post ALL the vehicles in Nigeria on the site to 'prove'? LOW IQ.

meanwhile, in one of your copy and paste links , it is stated that the middle class is 37 million - (i have to wonder what that middle class is, but thats for another day)

so please tell me how 30 over 37 million is greater than 1%

or are you even more simple than i thought?

What is this dropout on about?

slow thinker, even here you fall short - most companies are now buying korean vehicles as against chinese for their fleets because the korean vehicles are cheaper - does that spell boom to you?

''Most companies''. WHERE ARE YOUR STATISTICS?? WHERE ARE YOUR STUDIES??

Can forumers see the difference between this charlatan and I? When I make a claim, I back it up with research. This CLOWN on the other hand expects us to simply believe whatever he says. Who are you? What are you?

please explain to me how 1.1 million a year - which comes to less than 100k per month before tax etal represents an economic boom. throw in taxes, pension gund etal, and it drops to 75k. you think a person earning that kind of money is going to buy anything other than a 700k car?

Economic illiterate. Our incomes do not have to be on a par with US or UK incomes for it to be said we're experiencing an economic boom. I've told you to go and study economics even at secondary school level. You are clearly an economic illiterate.
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by Nobody: 3:35pm On Oct 20, 2012
''Most companies''. WHERE ARE YOUR STATISTICShuh?? WHERE ARE YOUR STUDIEShuh?

Can forumers see the difference between this charlatan and I? When I make a claim, I back it up with research. This CLOWN on the other hand expects us to simply believe whatever he says. Who are you? What are you

ode. people who know me know where i work - in an oil major. i work in VI. i don't need to paste any empty statistics to show what i see everyday. within my company for instance, function cars were previously toyota corollas. now we buy hyundais.

Economic illiterate. Our incomes do not have to be on a par with US or UK incomes for it to be said we're experiencing an economic boom. I've told you to go and study economics even at secondary school level. You are clearly an economic illiterate.

you must really have wool between your ears if you think 75,000 per month is an economic boom. perhaps you should find your way to the thread where a fellow was asking if 80k per month was extravagance. for a family of four that 75k will not provide a decent living, especially if there is only one breadwinner. perhaps your slow mind will require more dubious statistics to prove that as well - since all you work with are so called studies. the next thing you will post that ridiculous article about that spolit shopaholic binging in london as more evidence/studies/research that the good times are here

renting a three bedroom apartment in lagos is t least 600k/year -
school fees for kids in reasonable schools is at least 400k /kid /year
maintaining and fueling a car is at least 500k/year
maintaining and running a generator is at least another 500k/year
feeding is at least 600k/year
dstv is at least 50k/year

the list goes on and on, and this simpleton tells us 'economy is booming' when his own sources cite the middle class as 37 million people are earning less than 75k/ month.
by the time all that money is gone, i wonder what will be left for the much touted washing machines and microwaves
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by Nobody: 3:41pm On Oct 20, 2012
oyb:

offtopic - classic rossike - i would really have to wonder if the CEO of a car manufacturing company cannot use his own vehicle - but then that's rossike reasoning for you.

what rising wealth are you blathering about? is it the dubious wealth of the Jimoh ibrahims, otedolas, ibrus etal? every other day, large numbers of the so called successful entrepreneurs you keep lionizing are being exposed as charlatans looting their companies into the ground.

Your problem is you allow the crap you read in the news to cloud your view of the bigger things happening in the country. Otedola and Jimoh Ibrahim my asssss. Nigeria's annual GDP stands at nearly $400 BILLION, only 14% of which is attributable to oil and gas, with folks like Ibru and Otedola accounting for propbably less than 1% of it in total.

THE NIGERIAN ECONOMY IS FAR BIGGER THAN THOSE GUYS.

until you can point to a change in the life of the average nigerian, not the few in the rarefied upper crust, you are talking the bollocks we know you so well for.

I'LL GLADLY TAKE YOU UP ON THAT CHALLENGE:

http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/nigeria_statistics.html

Nigeria: Infant mortality rate: Deaths out of a thousand:

Under-5 mortality rate, 1970

Under-5 mortality rate, 1990

Under-5 mortality rate, 2010

WOW! LESS OF OUR CHILDREN ARE DYING EARLY. WHAT A TERRIBLE REVERSAL IN FORTUNES!

Infant mortality rate (under 1), 1990

Infant mortality rate (under 1), 2010

WOW! OUR KIDS ARE SURVING IN MILLIONS MORE CROVES. WHAT TERRIBLE NEWS!!

NIGERIA:

Life expectancy at birth, 1970
Life expectancy at birth, 1990
Life expectancy at birth, 2010

WOW!! NIGERIANS ARE LIVING LONGER ON AVERAGE!! WHAT HORRIBLE NEWS!!!!

INCOMES

GDP per capita average annual growth rate (%), 1970-1990

GDP per capita average annual growth rate (%), 1990-2010

WOW!!! INCOMES ARE RISING! TERRIBLE NEWS!! CALL THE HANGMAN!!!

Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by Pennywise(m): 3:50pm On Oct 20, 2012
Fantastic pics of exotic cars. Nigerians are saying - bring it on! ! ! ! ! !
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by Nobody: 3:50pm On Oct 20, 2012
oyb:

ode. people who know me know where i work - in an oil major. i work in VI. i don't need to paste any empty statistics to show what i see everyday. within my company for instance, function cars were previously toyota corollas. now we buy hyundais.

ECONOMIC ILLITERATE. That your company did it does not translate to ''most companies in Nigeria''.

You work in ''an oil major'' and so what? If anything that just means you're more alienated from the society's heartbeat. What do you know about economics? That you work in Victoria Island doesn't mean you know the first thing about economics.

I repeat? Did you study Economics even at secondary school level? I've asked you this question thrice, and you've still not answered.

you must really have wool between your ears if you think 75,000 per month is an economic boom.

If it was 10k a month a few years ago then it IS an economic boom!!!! Go back to school and quit embarassing yourself. I've dropped links here in which seasoned economists from across the globe have stated there is a Nigerian economic boom, with a fast growing GDP of 7.5% per annum, among the fastest on earth. In economic terms, that's called an economic boom. Go and study economics. Even a basic crash course should help.
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by Nobody: 3:52pm On Oct 20, 2012
ROSSIKE:

Your problem is you allow the crap you read in the news to cloud your view of the bigger things happening in the country. Otedola and Jimoh Ibrahim my asssss. Nigeria's annual GDP stands at nearly $400 BILLION, only 14% of which is attributable to oil and gas, with folks like Ibru and Otedola accounting for propbably less than 1% of it in total.

THE NIGERIAN ECONOMY IS FAR BIGGER THAN THOSE GUYS.

I'LL GLADLY TAKE YOU UP ON THAT CHALLENGE:

Nigeria: Infant mortality rate: Deaths out of a thousand:

Under-5 mortality rate, 1970

Under-5 mortality rate, 1990

Under-5 mortality rate, 2010

WOW! LESS OF OUR CHILDREN ARE DYING EARLY. WHAT A TERRIBLE REVERSAL IN FORTUNES!

Infant mortality rate (under 1), 1990

Infant mortality rate (under 1), 2010

WOW! OUR KIDS ARE SURVING IN MILLIONS MORE CROVES. WHAT TERRIBLE NEWS!!

NIGERIA:

Life expectancy at birth, 1970
Life expectancy at birth, 1990
Life expectancy at birth, 2010

WOW!! NIGERIANS ARE LIVING LONGER ON AVERAGE!! WHAT HORRIBLE NEWS!!!!

INCOMES

GDP per capita average annual growth rate (%), 1970-1990

GDP per capita average annual growth rate (%), 1990-2010

WOW!!! INCOMES ARE RISING! TERRIBLE NEWS!! CALL THE HANGMAN!!!

you want to play the statistics game?

for real?

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/06/nigerias-life-expectancy-lowest-in-west-africa-don/

Nigeria’s life expectancy lowest in West Africa – Don
On June 29, 2012 · In News
9:01 am
Tweet

Gusau – [b]Life expectancy in Nigeria is now 47 years, making it the lowest among west African countries, [/b]Prof. Abdulsalam Nasidi, Project Director, Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), has said.

He said this in Gusau on Thursday at the commencement of the second Annual General Meeting and Scientific Conference of the state’s chapter of the Nigeria Medical Association (NMA).

Nasidi who stated this in a paper with the theme “Lead Poisoning: Zamfara Experience” said this position was 30 per cent below the world’s average life expectancy.

He said it was a situation that was attributable to some health factors, including child and maternal mortality, spread of polio virus and other epidemics.

“One out of every five children die before the age of five years due to polio and other infections.

“Nigeria is one of four countries where polio is still an on-going epidemic,” the Project Director said.

Nasidi said in Zamfara alone, acute lead poisoning had killed more than 400 children and caused brain damage in several others in Anka and Bukkuyum Local Government Areas.

He described lead poisoning in the area as the “worst-ever recorded outbreak of its kind in modern times.’’

The Project Director said mass lead poisoning and massive cholera epidemics were tragedies of the 19th century.

“This outbreak and our inability to interrupt polio virus transmission are serious indicators of the state of public health service in Nigeria,” he said.

Nasidi said a survey carried out in the affected areas of Zamfara in November 2010 had revealed that more than 85 per cent of the soil had lead contamination.

He said its spread was aggravated through heavy rainfalls.

Nasidi said blood samples of infected persons exceeded the US Environmental Protection Agency rate by three folds while some blood samples were as high as 100,000 parts per million.

He lamented that in spite of response measures through the collaborative efforts of the state and federal governments, including the World Health Organisation (WHO), illegal mining resumed in the area.

The Project Director said this occurred at Dogon Dajin Sarkin Noma village of Adabka ward in Bukkuyum local government area, killing 11 out of every 22 persons since September 2011.

He therefore urged the federal and Zamfara governments to continue to join hands in order to save lives of the people living in the area.

Nasidi suggested that government should consider moving the population from the high risk areas as part of the remediation efforts on the affected areas.

Alhaji Ibrahim Mallaha, the state’s acting governor, while declaring the conference open, had earlier urged the participants to come up with an acceptable framework to tackle environmental degradation in the state.

The acting governor assured of the state government’s readiness to partner with other agencies and foreign bodies in finding lasting solutions to the problems of illegal mining in the area.

The state chairman of the Nigeria Medical Association (NMA), Dr Kabir Sada, commended the state government in ensuring the comfort of medical practitioners in the state.

“This had included the payment of all improved doctors’ salaries and other benefits,’’ he said.

The association gave an award of “Health Friendly Governor” to the state governor in view of his successes in the health sector.(NAN)

bite on that.

http://www.voanews.com/content/poverty-pollution-killers-in-nigeria/1363853.html

Heather Murdock

July 05, 2012
ABUJA — Nigeria's Center for Disease Control says poverty and pollution have reduced the national life expectancy to 47 years old, one of the lowest in West Africa. And while health officials dispute the number, none dispute the urgency of improving health care in the remote rural areas.

There’s a problem in Nigeria that no one disagrees with: when people here die young, they usually die from diseases that could have been prevented or treated.

Doctors say child mortality is rising in places like Zamfara State in the north, where a lead poisoning outbreak has killed more than 400 children under the age of five since March 2010.

Families in the southern Niger Delta region, an area activists call “the world’s largest oil spill,” say their children’s immune systems are weakened from drinking toxic water, and that children frequently die from diseases like cholera and malaria.

Tonye Emmanuel Isenah, a state assembly member in the Niger Delta, says adults in his region are also weakened by the pollution.

“The life expectancy of our people has dramatically dropped," said Isneha. "You can imagine at 45, 40, people are beginning to have strokes.”

Before the country’s Center for Disease Control announced that they calculated a reduction in the national life expectancy figures last week, the World Bank said Nigeria’s life expectancy was just above 51 years old, almost 20 years less than the world average.

Dr. Muhammad Ali Pate, Nigeria’s state minister of health, says he disagrees with the report. He says he believes life expectancy is actually improving as the government implements programs to fight diseases like polio and malaria and provide primary care to children in the countryside.

He agrees with the report in some respects, saying Nigeria’s average life span is dragged down by high death rates among mothers and children.

"Pregnancy is not a disease, yet many mothers die from it. It’s only a subset of pregnant women that will have complications and require interventions but if those interventions are not there or alternative care is not provided, mothers do not know they are at risk," explained Pate.

Dr. Adamu Onu, a family practitioner in Abuja, says health crises across the country have the same root cause: poverty. He says most of the people in Nigeria simply don’t have access to health care because they live far away from the nearest clinic and don’t have the money or the means to travel to the city.

Many people also do not seek trained medical professionals, he says, because they don’t know that doctors can help them live longer than traditional healers. "People are not so educated and they lack access to health care and when they do fall sick they prefer to use alternative medical systems rather than the formal health sector," stated Onu.

Dr. Onu says even when people do seek help, there are almost no doctors in the countryside where most of the population lives.

John Brisbe, an elder in a fishing community in Delta State, says when children in his remote region get sick they often die because it can take up to six hours to get to the hospital in a canoe.

"They are not taking care of any of our communities. So we are suffering," he said. "Different types of sickness are harming our children because of this river water that we are drinking."

Earlier this year, Nigeria’s National Bureau of Statistics released a report that said the number of people living in “absolute poverty” has increased from 54.7 percent in 2004 to nearly 61 percent in 2010, despite the fact that the Nigerian economy, in overall terms, is growing.

eat on that

pathetic. internet nigerian. posting rubbish.

again with feeling -

rossike - wow! things are looking up in the community! see as people are flossing! the community is on the up and up! moe money for everybody!
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by Nobody: 3:59pm On Oct 20, 2012
oyb:

you want to play the statistics game?

for real?

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/06/nigerias-life-expectancy-lowest-in-west-africa-don/

Ewuuooooo... grin grin grin See economic illiterate posting figures from some Alhaji! I just posted the latest current UNICEF stats showing that life expectancy in Nigeria has risen from 47 to 51 in just the last five years (a notable improvement) only for this he-goat to post the old 47 figure from Alhaji Abdulsalami whatever whatever! Are you sure the Alhaji has internet connection to see the latest UNICEF statistics?

My goodness. Let me educate you. NOBODY. I repeat, NOBODY, can present any stats to do with basic human indicators that contradicts what the UN through UNICEF has presented in its annual reports. Nobody. Not even Obama.

That you would even THINK of using this Alhaji's claim as a basis to dispute what UNICEF, with its thousands of researchers and billions in research budget, has stated for Nigeria, shows that you're not much use to us beyond your oil company in VI.

Baby researcher. grin grin

And please spare us the National Bureau of Statistics reports. Those have always been politicised, as we all know. Today the place is run by AC sympathiser Dr Yemi Kale, so we can take their claims with a heavy dose of salt.
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by Nobody: 4:06pm On Oct 20, 2012
ROSSIKE:

ECONOMIC ILLITERATE. That your company did it does not translate to ''most companies in Nigeria''.

You work in ''an oil major'' and so what? If anything that just means you're more alienated from the society's heartbeat. What do you know about economics? That you work in Victoria Island doesn't mean you know the first thing about economics.

you are the one who is alienated - since you think posting pictures of cars means the lives of nigerians are changing for the better. i see grinding poverty everyday. in my immediate environment, on the way to work , in VI, everywhere. i don't have the luxury of lying to myself that the proliferation of big man cars means that things in the country are getting better.

you want a clear sign the economy is improving - when able bodied men stop taking to okadas as their first choice as a source of income. that is a real indicator - not this puerile and juvenile celebration of the luck of a few.

If it was 10k a month a few years ago then it IS an economic boom!!!! Go back to school and quit embarassing yourself. I've dropped links here in which seasoned economists from across the globe have stated there is a Nigerian economic boom, with a fast growing GDP of 7.5% per annum, among the fastest on earth. In economic terms, that's called an economic boom. Go and study economics. Even a basic crash course should help.

if there is no change in the quality of life then your econmic boom is just empty noise. your link posited that earners of $7000 are buying microwaves and washing machines. i have broken that bs down for you and you are still talking crap -

I repeat? Did you study Economics even at secondary school level? I've asked you this question thrice, and you've still not answered.

if my memory serves me well, i had an a3 in econs. so you can take all your blather about economics and stuff it where the sun don't shine. balla briggs has already called you out on your empty blather.and he is an economist. what are you anyway, other than a pseudo pan africanist with the mind of a juvenile?
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by Nobody: 4:11pm On Oct 20, 2012
ROSSIKE:

Ewuuooooo... grin grin grin See economic illiterate posting figures from some Alhaji! I just posted the latest current UNICEF stats showing that life expectancy in Nigeria has risen from 47 to 51 in just the last five years (a notable improvement) only for this he-goat to post the old 47 figure from Alhaji Abdulsalami whatever whatever! Are you sure the Alhaji has internet connection to see the latest UNICEF statistics?

My goodness. Let me educate you. NOBODY. I repeat, NOBODY, can present any stats to do with basic human indicators that contradicts what the UN through UNICEF has presented in its annual reports. Nobody. Not even Obama.

That you would even THINK of using this Alhaji's claim as a basis to dispute what UNICEF, with its thousands of researchers and billions in research budget, has stated for Nigeria, shows that you're not much use to us beyond your oil company in VI.

Baby researcher. grin grin

And please spare us the National Bureau of Statistics reports. Those have always been politicised, as we all know. Today the place is run by AC sympathiser Dr Yemi Kale, so we can take their claims with a heavy dose of salt.

i see - rossik the pan africanist noisemaker, the man who always makes so much noise about oyibos will defer to their judgement when it suits his childish goals

i'm sure if i go deep into your post history, i will find somewhere you insulted the UN over some dismal report on nigeria.

i didn't even want to take you on your pathetic standards - for some one spamming this board about economy booming - is a 50 year life expectancy something to celebrate? cheesy cheesy

is an infant mortality rate of over 10% something to celebrate?

thank God i don't subscribe to whatever pathetic standards you have chosen for yourself - you come off like those peasants who are happy because massa lives in a big house

the old 47 figure from Alhaji Abdulsalami whatever whatever! Are you sure the Alhaji has internet connection to see the latest UNICEF statistics?
this here is the self hate rossik is always whining about - a nigerian is alhaji whatever

Today the place is run by AC sympathiser Dr Yemi Kale, so we can take their claims with a heavy dose of salt.
so that is what all this si about - rossik is just another member of the gej monkeys, those paid hacks who continuuosly spam this board with their tales by moonlight of how nigeria is improving. small wonder.i should have detected the sycophantic lack of intellect
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by Nobody: 4:15pm On Oct 20, 2012
oyb:

you are the one who is alienated - since you think posting pictures of cars means the lives of nigerians are changing for the better. i see grinding poverty everyday. in my immediate environment, on the way to work , in VI, everywhere. i don't have the luxury of lying to myself that the proliferation of big man cars means that things in the country are getting better.

By the same token we can say India is not improving. Brazil and China are not improving. Poverty is rampant there too. Fact is poverty will be a fact of life for many years in Nigeria, which is a developing country. Saying that because you see poor people outside your office window means there is no recovery is as dumb as Sarah Palin saying she knows foreign policy because she can see Russia from her bedroom.

you want a clear sign the economy is improving - when able bodied men stop taking to okadas as their first choice as a source of income. that is a real indicator - not this puerile and juvenile celebration of the luck of a few.

Economic Illiterate! grin grin

if there is no change in the quality of life then your econmic boom is just empty noise. your link posited that earners of $7000 are buying microwaves and washing machines. i have broken that bs down for you and you are still talking crap -

The only thing broken down is your common sense.

if my memory serves me well, i had an a3 in econs.

Notable, but far from sufficient to discuss Development Economics before Economics scholars such as yours truly.

so you can take all your blather about economics and stuff it where the sun don't shine. balla briggs has already called you out on your empty blather.and he is an economist.

Ballabriggs? That foul-mouthed street yob with the IQ of a brick? Where did he get his degree, Balogun market?
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by Nobody: 4:25pm On Oct 20, 2012
oyb:

i'm sure if i go deep into your post history, i will find somewhere you insulted the UN over some dismal report on nigeria.

FIND AM! That's a direct challenge! grin grin

i didn't even want to take you on your pathetic standards - for some one spamming this board about economy booming - is a 50 year life expectancy something to celebrate? cheesy cheesy

51, not 50! Every year counts. Of course it is not ''something to celebrate'' but does it represent progress? YES. ABSOLUTELY YES. It was never going to jump from 47 straight to 75. Improvements in living conditions are incremental, not immediate. Insofar as there is a discernible upward trajectory, then we are making progress.

is an infant mortality rate of over 10% something to celebrate?

See reply above!

thank God i don't subscribe to whatever pathetic standards you have chosen for yourself - you come off like those peasants who are happy because massa lives in a big house

Thank God the rest of us don't live in Cloud Cuckoo land like you, expecting Nigeria to turn into Japan in the twinkle of an eye, failing which there's ''no progress''.
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by Nobody: 4:29pm On Oct 20, 2012
ROSSIKE:

Notable, but far from sufficient to discuss Development Economics before Economics scholars such as yours truly.

aren't you the scholar who was going on about successfully selling imported floor tiles as a sign that you can make it in nigeria? thats your idea of entrepreneurship - a one man business of bringing in container of floor tiles - which will at most provide employment to 3 people and take up a small shop in alaba.

aren't you the same scholar who put us though the torture of celebrating the nigerian police?

scholar my arse. we should ask where you schooled - probably esut.

if you consider the purchase of luxury cars by the elite ( something that has been going on in nigeria and indeed the world for as long as forever) as an indicator of economic growth - then one has to wonder just what kind of 'scholar' you are - the internet kind cheesy

creaming your pants because Nigerians as always are taking the lead in conspicuous consumption.

like our internet millionaires on nairaland cheesy cheesy

a 'scholar' who has never featured in economics discussions on nl, but can only be counted on to spam with meaningless desperate self serving pan africanist propaganda?

an 'economist' who is blind to the fact that the purchasing power of the average nigerian is shrinking as prices go through the roof?

petrol was increased by 30% this year. no accompanying increase in income of workers, prices have risen steadily since. simple peak 123 has gone from 500/550 to 650/700. and that is locally produced. but our economist scholar tells us economy is booming. he tells us people are getting richer as their disposable income shrinks (maybe he is referring to senators and govt officials)
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by Nobody: 4:38pm On Oct 20, 2012
Thank God the rest of us don't live in Cloud Cuckoo land like you, expecting Nigeria to turn into Japan in the twinkle of an eye, failing which there's ''no progress''.

thank God nations like singapore, china, korea and malaysia do not have empty headed noisemakers like you, who would have held them back indefinetely by celebrating mediocrity and harping on the 'successes' of a shrouded and long forgotten past.

they would probbaly be cheering and spmming internet forums about a 5% decrease in child mortality.
Re: Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms by Nobody: 4:44pm On Oct 20, 2012
oyb:

aren't you the scholar who was going on about successfully selling imported floor tiles as a sign that you can make it in nigeria? thats your idea of entrepreneurship - a one man business of bringing in container of floor tiles - which will at most provide employment to 3 people and take up a small shop in alaba.

See how you reason like a mosquito. You've just taken a thriving business and rubbished it merely because you don't like what the entrepreneur is doing? You really dig the depths of intellectual ineptitude.

aren't you the same scholar who put us though the torture of celebrating the nigerian police?

I merely - in the midst of widespread condemnation of the police - called to attention the fact that thousands of them have died trying to protect us -including VI oil workers like yourself - from men of the underworld, something for which you remain singularly ungrateful, as though you could ever spend a minute of your life putting yourself in harm's way for others.

scholar my arse. we should ask where you schooled - probably esut.

Hahaha.

if you consider the purchase of luxury cars by the elite ( something that has been going on in nigeria and indeed the world for as long as forever) as an indicator of economic growth - then one has to wonder just what kind of 'scholar' you are - the internet kind

Economic Illiterate: Economics 101. Increased spending on luxury items points towards an increasingly buoyant economy. Fact. With your A3 in secondary school, I don't expect you to know this. I didn't even with my A1. So this is lightly more advanced.

'economist' who is blind to the fact that the purchasing power of the average nigerian is shrinking as prices go through the roof?

Yawnn... all economic statistics and projections have been made after accounting for inflation. You're such a bore.

petrol was increased by 30% this year. no accompanying increase in income of workers

How did you reach that conclusion? (highlighted) Where are your stats? What proportion of the Nigerian workforce are you speaking for? Civil servants? Salaried workers? Those make up just a tiny percentage of the Nigerian workforce, majority of whom are independent businesses that will pass the costs on to their consumers, and thus increase their income following fuel price rises.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Automatic Transmission: Do Their Benefits Outweigh Their Issues? / Not Washing Your Car Properly In Australia Could Earn You A Fine Of N162,000 / What Happens If You Take The Car Key Out While Driving?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 157
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.