Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,738 members, 7,813,423 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:10 PM

Would You Allow Parents Choose Or Recommend A Spouse For You? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Would You Allow Parents Choose Or Recommend A Spouse For You? (819 Views)

Can You Allow Your Best Friend Date Your Sister/brother? / Can You Allow Your Partner/spouse Go Through Your Phone? / Help. My Girlfriend Wants Me To Choose : Or She Will Leave Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Allow Parents Choose Or Recommend A Spouse For You? by intrepid: 6:32pm On Oct 20, 2012
Some of our parents married by recommendation &their parents chose wives 4 them,and they are still living happily for decades.Some have even celebrated golden jubilee of married life...Some also married people that were introduced by friends.It works perfectly for some but not all...Nowadays guys choose for themselves;some survive,many crash explosively soon after take off..Is it still fashionable to marry by recommendation-WOULD U ALLOW YOUR PARENTS/FRIENDS to choose a spouse or recommend one for you? whats your take people.?
Re: Would You Allow Parents Choose Or Recommend A Spouse For You? by timpaker(m): 6:41pm On Oct 20, 2012
Hell No!
Maka why?
Say wetin happen?
Kilode?
Maka gini?

Its old fashioned though, but if the parent has the concent of the child, fine, they can go ahead and get a spouse for their kid
Re: Would You Allow Parents Choose Or Recommend A Spouse For You? by ikekings(m): 6:42pm On Oct 20, 2012
Not at all.... Its my choice not theirs...
Re: Would You Allow Parents Choose Or Recommend A Spouse For You? by fairygeh(f): 6:45pm On Oct 20, 2012
So not right.
Re: Would You Allow Parents Choose Or Recommend A Spouse For You? by Ariyke: 6:48pm On Oct 20, 2012
NEVER!
Re: Would You Allow Parents Choose Or Recommend A Spouse For You? by timpaker(m): 6:51pm On Oct 20, 2012
ikekings: Not at all.... Its my choice not theirs...

abi oo. Even if i don't know how to woo a girl, i can't resort to marrying a girl recommended by my parents..are they gonna live with me?
Re: Would You Allow Parents Choose Or Recommend A Spouse For You? by MrsChima(f): 7:12pm On Oct 20, 2012
If i let my parents decided....i wouldnt be mrs.chima.
Re: Would You Allow Parents Choose Or Recommend A Spouse For You? by CrazyMan(m): 7:47pm On Oct 20, 2012
Mrs.Chima:
If i let my parents decided....i wouldnt be mrs.chima.
Yea right you were supposed to be mrs crazyman...but let's not open that can of worms, its all in the past now. undecided

@topic...
Our parents do not have any right to choose whom we marry but the truth remains that they have a responsibility to make sure we don't make the wrong choice.

They have a right to advise us on certain qualities to look out for in the choice of a life partner because they've been in that institution before us. They may have made certain mistakes which they wouldn't want their children to make.

And if you're patient enough to listen to them, there's no way you wouldn't find something good in what they'll say.
Re: Would You Allow Parents Choose Or Recommend A Spouse For You? by MrsChima(f): 10:41pm On Oct 20, 2012
CrazyMan:
Yea right you were supposed to be mrs crazyman...but let's not open that can of worms, its all in the past now. undecided

@topic...
Ou.
undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Would You Allow Parents Choose Or Recommend A Spouse For You? by sgtkole: 10:45pm On Oct 20, 2012
sure why not? if it's only a recommendation.. i dont see the harm
Re: Would You Allow Parents Choose Or Recommend A Spouse For You? by vivianc(f): 10:52pm On Oct 20, 2012
No.
Re: Would You Allow Parents Choose Or Recommend A Spouse For You? by Nobody: 11:18pm On Oct 20, 2012
It's parenting recommending one for me which I'll be okay with but selfishness choosing for me which I definitely won't be happy with them
Re: Would You Allow Parents Choose Or Recommend A Spouse For You? by sunnshyn(f): 11:30pm On Oct 20, 2012
When you say "choose wives or husband" shebi the two individuals will still meet and date @least for a while? If so Why not, if not? Me I prefer referrals oo..I also feel its easier, knowing that someone already knows his history or family background..

Infact, anytime mom calls with her stories about my friends getting married every saturday, I keep asking how many men she's introduced to me and I refused to marry?

My dad was in the city and was introduced to my mom who was in the village at the time. Pronto! She came to lag, fine woman, dad sent her to school, studied English Unilag and those two people are shinning and inseparable 35 years down the line.

For me, it doesn't matter how I meet who I eventually get married to..

I keep saying it. It takes two consenting, matured individuals to make a relationship(marriage) work. Tolerance, forgiveness, communication amongst other virtues are essential for a great happy marriage..
Re: Would You Allow Parents Choose Or Recommend A Spouse For You? by cindyrella(f): 11:41pm On Oct 20, 2012
Never! That is so old school! undecided
Re: Would You Allow Parents Choose Or Recommend A Spouse For You? by Nobody: 11:45pm On Oct 20, 2012
Hell to the no! Say wetin hapin nah??
Well i trust the dad and mum i've got...them no fit try dat kain thing na. They aint d one gettin married, I am. They sure do know better.
Re: Would You Allow Parents Choose Or Recommend A Spouse For You? by dmcdad: 11:46pm On Oct 20, 2012
Recommendation aint bad... As long as u dont force it one me. Infact! u can neva force it on me cuz u aint gonna be the one that will live with her till death, its me. Anywayz, parental advice is necessary as it helps in aiding our final decisions..
Re: Would You Allow Parents Choose Or Recommend A Spouse For You? by Mynd44: 3:09am On Oct 21, 2012
As long as its just recommendation, we don't have a problem. I have not seen a parent that has not recommended a spouse to their child before, its natural but its when they make the choice that hell is bound to be let loose
Re: Would You Allow Parents Choose Or Recommend A Spouse For You? by Nobody: 5:25am On Oct 21, 2012
No. grin
Re: Would You Allow Parents Choose Or Recommend A Spouse For You? by CrazyMan(m): 5:49am On Oct 21, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
embarassed embarassed embarassed

(1) (Reply)

Check This / Is It Ideal To Have An Ex As Friend On Facebook? / 2GO\WHATSAPP Loverz-les Chat And Discover New World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.