Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,414 members, 7,822,924 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:32 PM

Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. - Religion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. (14006 Views)

7 Sins That Lead To Self-destruction: Christians Must Avoid. / God Is Not Looking At Your Sins To Judge You / Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by honeric01(m): 1:30pm On Nov 02, 2012
afam4eva:
From a bile passage that someone posted on this thread, it posits that once that person has forgiven your sin then it's automatically forgiven.

Are we assuming that Masturrbation is a sin? Even if it is, you just have to ask for forgiveness.

Masturrbation is a sin against your body and your body is the temple of God which means you go straight to God and ask for forgiveness but the funny thing is that you continue the next day because masturrbation is like an addiction and i don't think you can be forgiven if you continue committing the same sin all over again embarassed sad
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by italo: 1:33pm On Nov 02, 2012
afam4eva:
From a bile passage that someone posted on this thread, it posits that once that person has forgiven your sin then it's automatically forgiven.

You believe that? Okay, what if the person never forgives you (as so many people do), you are damned forever?

afam4eva: Are we assuming that Masturrbation is a sin? Even if it is, you just have to ask for forgiveness.

From who? Who did you wrong?
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by Afam4eva(m): 1:35pm On Nov 02, 2012
italo:

You believe that? Okay, what if the person never forgives you (as so many people do), you are damned forever?
If the person does not forgive you then you should go directly to God. It's not compulsory you even go to the person you offended but it's recommended.

italo:
From who? Who did you wrong?
You ask God to forgive your sins because what you've done is not pleasant to him.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by ijawcitizen(m): 2:19pm On Nov 02, 2012
The last two lines of that prayer is not in the bible
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by italo: 3:24pm On Nov 02, 2012
afam4eva:
If the person does not forgive you then you should go directly to God. It's not compulsory you even go to the person you offended but it's recommended.

You ask God to forgive your sins because what you've done is not pleasant to him.

Do you believe that men have authority to forgive and retain sins?

If you do, which men, everybody?

*we Catholics believe that Christ gave the Apostles and their successors this authority, and todays priests are the successors of the apostles*
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by Afam4eva(m): 3:27pm On Nov 02, 2012
italo:

Do you believe that men have authority to forgive and retain sins?

If you do, which men, everybody?

*we Catholics believe that Christ gave the Apostles and their successors this authority, and todays priests are the successors of the apostles*
Men have the authority to forgive but not retain sin. By Men i think the bible was referring to Christians.

Who are the Apostles and who are the priest. Do you know that you have those powers that you accord to some people?
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by God4moi: 9:23am On Nov 03, 2012
afam4eva:
I think what the bolded means is that we should confess our sins specifically to those we have wronged. For instance, if i steal from someone, i have to seek the person's forgiveness by confessing my deeds to the person.

What if the person you offended isn't a xtain? Does dat person also fall under the criteria of 'each other'
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by God4moi: 9:31am On Nov 03, 2012
afam4eva:
Men have the authority to forgive but not retain sin. By Men i think the bible was referring to Christians.

Who are the Apostles and who are the priest. Do you know that you have those powers that you accord to some people?

'Forgive us our sins AS WE FORGIVE THOSE WHO SIN AGAINST US'

Does this not mean that it's in the proportion of forgiveness u measure out that you also will be forgiven?

If that's what it means then invariably you can choose not to forgive and if you do that and its recognised by God himself then you have the power to retain sins though this would be used against you eventually. (Abuse of power).

In my opinion, this passage states the power to retain sin. But gives us a precaution that in exercising this power they'll be -ve effects.

I stand to be corrected if you think I'm wrong. And please no abuses. Just state ur case logically.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by Afam4eva(m): 10:36am On Nov 03, 2012
God4moi:

What if the person you offended isn't a xtain? Does dat person also fall under the criteria of 'each other'
The bible was written for Christians so only Christians were being referred to in that passage.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by God4moi: 11:21am On Nov 03, 2012
afam4eva:
The bible was written for Christians so only Christians were being referred to in that passage.

Well. I was making sure u know wat u're saying cos wat u wrote was 'you believe to confess SPECIFICALLY to those we offend'

If u den say its only xtians. Does dat mean we can't offend non xtians?
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by italo: 4:37pm On Nov 03, 2012
afam4eva:

John 20: 19 On the evening of that first day of the week, when the disciples were together, with the doors locked for fear of the Jewish leaders, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!” 20 After he said this, he showed them his hands and side. The disciples were overjoyed when they saw the Lord. 21 Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.” 22 And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive anyone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.”

After reading this do you still think that men cannot retain sins?

I'm assuming you now agree that men can retain sin, but which men? Do you think it is every Christian that was given the authority to forgive and retain sin? *bear in mind that Jesus breathed on the disciples and gave them the Holy Spirit in other to empower them with that authority*

afam4eva: Who are the Apostles and who are the priest. Do you know that you have those powers that you accord to some people?

The apostles are the 12 that Jesus chose as his first priests and the priests of today are their successors. Is it me that accorded the powers to the apostles by breathing on them or is it Jesus? I don't think I have the power or authority to forgive a fellow man's sins, do you think you have the power?
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by Rick9(m): 4:41pm On Nov 03, 2012
chukwudi44: John 20:22-23 When he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.

Very Correct.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by Kenneth457(m): 10:37am On Nov 05, 2012
Mintayo:

guy, u v been really misled,i pray God wld giv u undastanding...Peter is nt d 1st pope and nothing like pope was mention in d bible...pls dnt 4get that peter was married o,so where did u guys get d idea of pope nt getting married!

The pope and d catholic church will b one of d vessel the anti-christ will use in his bringin d world under 1 religion!

Let me say again that the problems which christains are havin in d world 2day(with oda religion) was majorly caused by the catholic church(d crusaders, bowing down 2 images etc)!

Its only d blood of Jesus that cleanses us of our sins nt d priest!

And most of these priest and pastors inclusive are d biggest sinners!
did he marry your sister or mum
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by lamdec(f): 10:15am On Dec 05, 2012
Please read Matt 8 vs 14, it was stated that Jesus healed Peter's wife mother. So if Peter was the first Pope, he would not be married and also, d first message peter preached, 3000 souls were saved and d bible recorded that they all spoke in Tongues, I am sure your parish is not even up to 3000, so why is it that you catholics believe that only the priest should speak in tongues. If Peter was the first POPE then you people are doing the exact opposite of what APOSTLE Peter stood for.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by Ubenedictus(m): 11:45am On Dec 05, 2012
afam4eva:

really pls xplain what d bible means wen it says "whatsoever sin u retain are retained"
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by Ubenedictus(m): 11:56am On Dec 05, 2012
lamdec: Please read Matt 8 vs 14, it was stated that Jesus healed Peter's wife mother. So if Peter was the first Pope, he would not be married and also, d first message peter preached, 3000 souls were saved and d bible recorded that they all spoke in Tongues, I am sure your parish is not even up to 3000, so why is it that you catholics believe that only the priest should speak in tongues. If Peter was the first POPE then you people are doing the exact opposite of what APOSTLE Peter stood for.
d cc never said dat on priests can speak in tongues so stop lying! And my bible says "it is gud 4 a man not to touch a woman" so to claim dat because peter was married all shuld do d same unbiblical. Was Jesus married? Was paul married
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by lamdec(f): 5:43pm On Dec 11, 2012
Pls,i beg don't even start, why are you turning words around, you said that PETER was the FIRST pope and that he was never married and I quoted that scripture for you. So why is your temperature getting high suddenly.
And I have spoken with α̲̅ wide range of Catholics including PRIEST and they told •̸Ϟﻉ that only the Pope or some sect of Priest are allowed to speak in tongues, and all I a̶̲̥̅̊ṁ̭̥̈̅̄ advocating for is that If Peter was truly the first pope, why is ΐt̶̲̥̅̊ that you guys don't speak in tongues, even Paul encouraged us to speak in tongues.
As touching marriage, Jesus and Paul even though not married were the two people who talked extensively on Marriage and they NEVER made ΐt̶̲̥̅̊ α̲̅ rule that If you are going to lead the Lord's people you should not marry.
Paul told Timothy in 1st Timothy 3 vs 2......A bishop must be α̲̅ HUSBAND of ONE WIFE
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by italo: 10:37pm On Dec 11, 2012
lamdec: And I have spoken with α̲̅ wide range of Catholics including PRIEST and they told •̸Ϟﻉ that only the Pope or some sect of Priest are allowed to speak in tongues

A big lie! I'm sorry to say.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by Ubenedictus(m): 2:30am On Dec 12, 2012
lamdec: Pls,i beg don't even start, why are you turning words around, you said that PETER was the FIRST pope and that he was never married and I quoted that scripture for you. So why is your temperature getting high suddenly.
i never said d above, pls provide proof that i did!
And I have spoken with α̲̅ wide range of Catholics including PRIEST and they told •̸Ϟﻉ that only the Pope or some sect of Priest are allowed to speak in tongues, and all I a̶̲̥̅̊ṁ̭̥̈̅̄ advocating for is that If Peter was truly the first pope, why is ΐt̶̲̥̅̊ that you guys don't speak in tongues, even Paul encouraged us to speak in tongues.
d above is a big lie!
As touching marriage, Jesus and Paul even though not married were the two people who talked extensively on Marriage and they NEVER made ΐt̶̲̥̅̊ α̲̅ rule that If you are going to lead the Lord's people you should not marry.
Paul told Timothy in 1st Timothy 3 vs 2......A bishop must be α̲̅ HUSBAND of ONE WIFE
emphasis on "one wife"
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by Nobody: 12:03pm On Dec 12, 2012
I must state categorically here as a Catholic that Priests are not the ones who actually forgives sins, rather God. Priests act in persona Christi i.e in the person of Christ. He acts through the ministry of the Church. After a person's confession these are the words said by the priest to absolve the penitent: "God the Father of mercy, through the death and ressurection of his son has reconciled the world to Himself and sent us the Holy Spirit for the forgiveness of sins. Through the MINISTRY OF THE CHURCH, may the LORD grant you pardon and peace and I absolve you of your sins in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit". so the priest acts through the ministry of the Church and not his power as an individual but the power bestowed upon him by God through the Churcch at his ordination. It is something similar to the Levitical Priests in the Old Testament who offered sin sacrifices for the expiation of their sin and that of the people. Its clearly a mediative role.

When a Catholic sins, he sins not just against God but against himself and the body of Christ which he/she is a member and Christ the head. So for the Catholic to partake in the reception of Holy communion offered at mass, the Catholic must come to the Church for forgiveness through the instrumentality of the priest. This is the Church's interpretation of John 20:23. You may not agree with this as a non-catholic, but its catholic theology.

Now, confession in the catholic Church is shrouded in secrecy. Whatever is confessed at confession to a priest remains with him. Under no circumstances does he divulge what was confessed to him even at the point of death. This assures the penitent of the priest'c confidence. Cinfession is also therapeutic in that it relieves the penitent of weight or burden of sin that the heart carries. I believe you will all agree with me that if your conscience is active, it pricks you to the point that you just need someone to talk to. Hence, the priest does not just listen to the penitent's confession, he also admonishes the penitent on how to avoid such sins in the future and even practical steps to combact addictive vices that often leaves the penitent hopeless. The priest at the confessional is a friend as well as a "judge" at the tribunal of mercy. Many penitent have found relieve from the confessional after having someone to talk to who they can trust and who will understand and not condemn them.

Many may ask, who does the priest confess to? A fellow priest of course! even the pope does his confession to his confessor who must at least be a priest. At that point, he relinquishes his position as a priest, bishop, cardinal or pope as assume the position of a penitent. So no Catholic is exempt from this sacrament.

I dont think that there is need for much argument as regards the rightness or wrongness of this practise between Christians of various denominations and catholics. The Code of canon law of the Catholic Church no.1 of the latin Rite expains that the codes in the canon is binding only on all catholics. so if you are a non-catholic and you have sound logical arguments why you can never do such, then go on with the way you deem fit by praying to God in the secret of your room. God of course hears your prayers. But I know for sure that when your sins burdens your heart so much especially those you can no longer control as a result of the force of addiction, you'll definitely look for someone to talk to. Whom you end up talking to will be left for you to decide.

1 Like

Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by ayduamah: 8:02am On Jan 02, 2013
honeric01:
He sees other priests,even the pope has a chaplain.

Who does the priest confess his own sins to?
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by brocab: 11:20pm On Sep 27, 2016
Firstly we also give our testimonies to each other, we share about our problems issues, we have people praying for us everyday, some apostles, some prophets, some teachers, some evangelist, or in the name of Jesus we all have these gifts, not just one priest, we are all priest in the name of the Lord.
The stories about Jesus in {John 20:22-23} because He is the only one who can give the Holy Spirit.
{Acts 3:6} A man who was lame was being carried to the temple gate called beautiful, where he was put everyday to beg from those going into the temple courts, When he saw Peter and John, about to enter, he asked them for money"Peter looked straight at him, as did John, Then Peter said look at us" So the man gave them his attention, expecting to get something from them.
Then Peter said silver and Gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth walk..
And the man walked...Can your priest do such miracles?
Secondly {James 5:1-16} Call for the elders of the Church to anoint them with the oil in the name of the Lord..Pray for each other so the Lord will raise them up. confess your sins, with one another in the name of the Lord, and they are forgiven.
So you see bro, not even your priest can forgive sins, nor heal, nor anoint, without the name of Jesus...
Pdizzle:
Although im a catholic, i read a lot of prostestant devotionals since we all serve the same God. On reading my open heavens this morning, i saw pastor Adeboye taking a jab at the catholics concerning the way they confess their sins to priests, saying penance does not grant you forgiveness.
We got discussing about it and we made reference to bible passages such as john 20:22-23 and james 5:14-16. Pls what are your opinions on these.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by Ubenedictus(m): 5:05am On Sep 28, 2016
honeric01:

I am talking about Jesus and not James, i don't follow James, i am following Jesus.

Men ought to pray and not faint.. i hope you know what that means? i don't need anyone to pray for me when i can do the praying myself. if my faith is not enough, i simply join it with that of other believers i trust. (be it my pastor, my brother, wife, choir master or anyone who's got root in Christ).
HEHEHEHE, I couldnt help laughing, someone has degraded the word of God because it doesnt agree with his church doctrine. so james was not inspired and speaking of d holyspirit when he wrote those word.

u have rejected d bible.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by Ubenedictus(m): 5:26am On Sep 28, 2016
linearity:

The definition of 'elder' is superior to another in age....Priest are not the most superior people in the church. There are many priests who graduated senior seminary at say age 25 and in a few years thereafter they are ordained priest and 75-80 yrs old elders would be required to make confession to them contrary to the passage you quoted above.

...why doesn't the church also allow confessions to be made to the elders in the church?
AN elder in church isnt by age, it is an office, titus and timothy were elders in d church even though they were yound men.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by brocab: 11:37am On Sep 28, 2016
Ubenedictus:
HEHEHEHE, I couldnt help laughing, someone has degraded the word of God because it doesnt agree with his church doctrine. so james was not inspired and speaking of d holyspirit when he wrote those word.

u have rejected d bible.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Proof Of God. Scientifically Derived. / 8 Important Ways To Manage Yourself As A Christian. / Why You Shouldn't Wait To See Hell Fire First Before You Believe That It Exists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.