Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,278 members, 7,811,829 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:28 PM

Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. (13977 Views)

7 Sins That Lead To Self-destruction: Christians Must Avoid. / God Is Not Looking At Your Sins To Judge You / Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by jes7: 11:08pm On Oct 28, 2012
God4moi:

Are you saying the Authourity Jesus gave was useless? Or that the apostles didn't use it?

Oga o!

I am saying the disciples have a completely different understanding of what Christ said. Since no apostle lay no claims to having the power to forgive sins, instead they consistently pointed to Christ as the only mediator, it then means your interpretation and believe is wrong. They can't forgive sins but they can declare to you that your sins have been forgiven after you have confessed them to God. Many times people confess their sins but do not actually repent and forsake them, in such a case, even if your priest tells you he has forgiven your sins, you are still a sinner because God that knows your heart knows you have not truely repented.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by God4moi: 11:08pm On Oct 28, 2012
honeric01:

When you're sick and you've prayed and there's no improvement, you are to seek the "elders", meaning those more rooted in the word and spiritual things in the church, they could be your pastor, your Sunday school teacher, your prayer warrior, your fellow brethren but an elder in the things of God. this you must know. being an elder in the things of God is not calculated by how long you have been in the church but what you possess inside of you.

I already explained the "equal access" to God to you already and i have given your examples of when you need to seek help from those more rooted than you.

You brought up the issue of "hirachy e.t.c and you know what we were discussing before that popped up, so i already have an "idea" of where you were going with that.

You can't know where I'm going safe you're claiming to be omniscience. Are you?

And I hope u know that presumption is a sin?
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by honeric01(m): 11:08pm On Oct 28, 2012
God4moi:

Dey didn't deny cos there was no opportunity too.

You're obviously not talking like one.

Peter cleared his doubt and took his stand with God. He didn't jst stay in the boat and held on to his doubt like the rest.

Are you saying you don't ask God questions why somethings happen/ how they happened? I'm sure if you're single you're definitely not asking him for a life partner nor did u ask if u are married. Cos if seeking more knowledge in God's word is in ur opinion faithlessness then sigh*

I'm also guessing the parable of the talents teaches u nothing about equality? Smh.

Stop repeating wat I said earlier jor!

First wat christ says is the 2 greatest commandment and den he said the 'great commission' and not "greatest commission" like you're puting it.

Yet he still fell into the water because as usual his little faith failed him again. the rest didn't ask who was coming, the rest were actually the ones who told him Christ was on the sea, when he heard them, he still doubted and asked "if you were"(Go and read your bible). we are not talking about peter here. the case here is " confessing your sins to a priest", is this what Jesus taught his disciples?

I am not talking like a christian because i sound different from the normal Christians you know? anyways, i am not here to convince you, my aim is to make heaven, whether i sound like one to you or not, that's not my aim on earth. as long as i am not acting against the teachings of my savior, i am all good.

Are you trying to say the parable of Jesus discriminates against some Christians? hope you remember the "one body" parts? (should be in James or john, not sure). the fact that some were called to be pastors, prophets, teachers e.t.c does not mean they have advantage than the rest Christians when it comes to having access to God. faith is the number one thing every christian need to get access to God, also are "a clean heart", a thanksgiving mind.

Remember this again "i am the way, the truth and life, NO MAN commeth to the father except through me" so irrespective of the post you hold in the church, you still have to get to the father through Jesus.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by SkyRider1(m): 11:09pm On Oct 28, 2012
solbil: do you think pentecostals have problems with confession? No they do not! The only reason they are saying what they are saying is becos they just cannot put up with the idea of leting someone else know what bad thing they have done.

Pride goes before a fall
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by God4moi: 11:11pm On Oct 28, 2012
jes7:

I am saying the disciples have a completely different understanding of what Christ said. Since no apostle lay no claims to having the power to forgive sins, instead they consistently pointed to Christ as the only mediator, it then means your interpretation and believe is wrong. They can't forgive sins but they can declare to you that your sins have been forgiven after you have confessed them to God. Many times people confess their sins but do not actually repent and forsake them, in such a case, even if your priest tells you he has forgiven your sins, you are still a sinner because God that knows your heart knows you have not truely repented.

Repenting from your sin does not mean you're not a sinner anymore is like doing an HIV test and believing you've become immune to the disease. It makes provision for your past not ur future.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by God4moi: 11:17pm On Oct 28, 2012
honeric01:

Yet he still fell into the water because as usual his little faith failed him again. the rest didn't ask who was coming, the rest were actually the ones who told him Christ was on the sea, when he heard them, he still doubted and asked "if you were"(Go and read your bible). we are not talking about peter here. the case here is " confessing your sins to a priest", is this what Jesus taught his disciples?

I am not talking like a christian because i sound different from the normal Christians you know? anyways, i am not here to convince you, my aim is to make heaven, whether i sound like one to you or not, that's not my aim on earth. as long as i am not acting against the teachings of my savior, i am all good.

Yeah! He started sinking like we all do eventually (we faulter everyday and then try to make amends with God again).

About confession I know what has been writing, but if you're saying what's "in between the lines" that I don't know?

You sound like many protestant that I know. You've not shown any unique quality so far.

Thought your aim was the greatest commission! grin
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by honeric01(m): 11:17pm On Oct 28, 2012
God4moi:

You can't know where I'm going safe you're claiming to be omniscience. Are you?

Where were you going with that sentence?
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by Nobody: 11:18pm On Oct 28, 2012
Fran6i.k:
@all. CONFESSING at the confessional has been the traditional way of christians untill the era of This so called PENTECOSTALISM. But i must say dat this New day gospel preachers are condeming the TRADITION of christianity and talking from their own human literary understanding of the BIBLE.
[color=#006600][quote author=Fran6i.k]@all. The catholic church is christainity and vice versa. There is nothing anyone can do about it.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by honeric01(m): 11:21pm On Oct 28, 2012
God4moi:

Yeah! He started sinking like we all do eventually (we faulter everyday and then try to make amends with God again).

About confession I know what has been writing, but if you're saying what's "in between the lines" that I don't know?

You sound like many protestant that I know. You've not shown any unique quality so far.

Thought your aim was the greatest commission! grin

I can see that throughout our convo, you hardly quoted the scriptures to back up your points, bro read more of your bible. i am not here to debate you, i am here to help as many as possible to see the light and at the same time read from those who are going to help me know God more and grow more in him.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by jes7: 11:28pm On Oct 28, 2012
God4moi:

Repenting from your sin does not mean you're not a sinner anymore is like doing an HIV test and believing you've become immune to the disease. It makes provision for your past not ur future.

This is getting more interesting. It is ironic to say you are a christian and at the same time a sin. Their is no christian sinner because to be a christian is to be like christ and since christ was not a sinner, if you are a christian you can't be a sinner.
Matthew 1:21
"And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins".
1 John3 4 Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness. 5 [b]And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin. 6 Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him.
7 Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. 8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. 9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by God4moi: 11:29pm On Oct 28, 2012
honeric01:

Where were you going with that sentence?

You're tiring me out! Having to repeat the same thing over and over. The instruction is ' when there's a sick person, call on elders to come and pray and annoit the being'

Now you say wat that passage means is after u've prayed and God is not answering then you call 'anybody' to come and pray that we're all equal and I said.
Why are there levels if we're equal?

Why would Peter be told to "feed the flock"?

Why didn't the bible say if God doesn't seem to be answering ur prayer call anybody. Why did he jst say if u're sick "call elders" he didn't put a condition to it did he?

And the next thing you jumped on me saying "you know where I'm going" ah!

That's one sin u've commited and you need to see a priest to confess. cheesy grin
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by God4moi: 11:34pm On Oct 28, 2012
jes7:

This is getting more interesting. It is ironic to say you are a christian and at the same time a sin. Their is no christian sinner because to be a christian is to be like christ and since christ was not a sinner, if you are a christian you can't be a sinner.
Matthew 1:21
"And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins".
1 John3 4 Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness. 5 [b]And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin. 6 Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him.
7 Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. 8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. 9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

Good! You just declared yourself.

And the words of christ that says our righteousness is like a filty rage does not apply to you. Neither does the words who can inherit the kingdom of God and jesus answer with man its impossible but with God all things are possible.

Choi* you must be better than the apostels oh! Cos if Jesus could not guarantee a seat for the sons of zeebeede since you're clean he has no choice now? Abi? You're not a filthy rage? Are you?
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by honeric01(m): 11:37pm On Oct 28, 2012
God4moi:

You're tiring me out! Having to repeat the same thing over and over. The instruction is ' when there's a sick person, call on elders to come and pray and annoit the being'

Now you say wat that passage means is after u've prayed and God is not answering then you call 'anybody' to come and pray that we're all equal and I said.
Why are there levels if we're equal?

Why would Peter be told to "feed the flock"?

Why didn't the bible say if God doesn't seem to be answering ur prayer call anybody. Why did he jst say if u're sick "call elders" he didn't put a condition to it did he?

And the next thing you jumped on me saying "you know where I'm going" ah!

That's one sin u've commited and you need to see a priest to confess. cheesy grin

When you're sick and you've prayed and there's no improvement, you are to seek the "elders", meaning those more rooted in the word and spiritual things in the church, they could be your pastor, your Sunday school teacher, your prayer warrior, your fellow brethren but an elder in the things of God. this you must know. being an elder in the things of God is not calculated by how long you have been in the church but what you possess inside of you.

you obviously aren't reading my comments or you are not comprehending.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by God4moi: 11:38pm On Oct 28, 2012
honeric01:

I can see that throughout our convo, you hardly quoted the scriptures to back up your points, bro read more of your bible. i am not here to debate you, i am here to help as many as possible to see the light and at the same time read from those who are going to help me know God more and grow more in him.

Oh please! Tell me all the talk about peter and jesus and healing are from a novel. You really need to help yourself first grin

Guess what you're super presumptious u can't even afford to think of me as either a male or female. U prefer to conclude I'm a male. Smh. I wonder how u learn anything. Too many ideas in ur head as turned to reality.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by honeric01(m): 11:41pm On Oct 28, 2012
God4moi:
Oh please! Tell me all the talk about peter and jesus and healing are from a novel. You really need to help yourself first

Guess what you're super presumptious u can't even afford to think of me as either a male or female. U prefer to conclude I'm a male. Smh. I wonder how u learn anything. Too many ideas in ur head as turned to reality.

You mean those half quotes you threw around, picking the ones that suit you while leaving out some parts that weren't favorable to your point? like Peter walking on water while leaving out the sinking later part?

Like only peter making the move while leaving out the parts where the rest of the people on the boat already BELIEVED it was Christ walking on the water?

How is your being a man or woman relevant here?
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by God4moi: 11:44pm On Oct 28, 2012
honeric01:

you obviously aren't reading my comments or you are not comprehending.

Is that wha your version of the bible says "When you're sick and you've prayed and there's no improvement, you are to seek the "elders", meaning those more rooted in the word and spiritual things in the church" or you just read 'in between the line'
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by honeric01(m): 11:45pm On Oct 28, 2012
God4moi:

Is that wha your version of the bible says "When you're sick and you've prayed and there's no improvement, you are to seek the "elders", meaning those more rooted in the word and spiritual things in the church" or you just read 'in between the line'

Define what an elder present in a sane church.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by God4moi: 11:46pm On Oct 28, 2012
honeric01:

You mean those half quotes you threw around, picking the ones that suit you while leaving out some parts that weren't favorable to your point? like Peter walking on water while leaving out the sinking later part?

Like only peter making the move while leaving out the parts where the rest of the people on the boat already BELIEVED it was Christ walking on the water?

How does your being a man or woman relevant here?

You didn't say 'half quote' bro/sis. You said 'no quote' lol. He's even twisting he own words now.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by God4moi: 11:47pm On Oct 28, 2012
honeric01:

Define what an elder present in a sane church.

That's not wat I pointed out. Ur condition to inviting the elders is wat I'm questioning here? Is that wat ur version says?
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by jes7: 11:51pm On Oct 28, 2012
God4moi:

Good! You just declared yourself.

And the words of christ that says our righteousness is like a filty rage does not apply to you. Neither does the words who can inherit the kingdom of God and jesus answer with man its impossible but with God all things are possible.

Choi* you must be better than the apostels oh! Cos if Jesus could not guarantee a seat for the sons of zeebeede since you're clean he has no choice now? Abi? You're not a filthy rage? Are you?
You are talking as if I the passages I quoted were not from the bible. Yes, according to prophet Isaiah, all our righteousness are filthy rags which means all our self righteousness and self effort to portray a man-made righteousness are filthy rags, but the only righteousness we need is the righteousness that comes from God through Jesus Christ and it only comes but genuine repentance from your sin. That was why Christ told the woman caught in adultery "go and sin no more" when Christ gives you his righteousness, he liberates you completely from your sins, so that you can be free indeed.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by honeric01(m): 11:54pm On Oct 28, 2012
God4moi:

That's not wat I pointed out. Ur condition to inviting the elders is wat I'm questioning here? Is that wat ur version says?

Stop the perambulation, who's an elder?

My bible told me that as a christian, i have been given the power to heal the sick, raise the dead, so if i am sick as a christian, my first job is to pray for myself, but when i am not healed, i can then go to those more rooted in the word for prayers and anointing in the name of the lord. (check James).
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by God4moi: 11:58pm On Oct 28, 2012
jes7:
You are talking as if I the passages I quoted were not from the bible. Yes, according to prophet Isaiah, all our righteousness are filthy rags which means all our self righteousness and self effort to portray a man-made righteousness are filthy rags, but the only righteousness we need is the righteousness that comes from God through Jesus Christ and it only comes but genuine repentance from your sin. That was why Christ told the woman caught in adultery "go and sin no more" when Christ gives you his righteousness, he liberates you completely from your sins, so that you can be free indeed.

I didn't say you wrote them you jst put them in a way to send a message that you're righteous and have no need for forgiveness.

The alduterous woman do we know if she still sined again or not?

"when Christ gives you his righteousness, he liberates you completely from your sins, so that you can be free indeed." If/after you confess and show true remorse. Your freedom from sin is not that you do not have the ability not to sin. It means your guilt/sin cannot seperate you from the love of christ.

So when you sin the grace is there to repent and not repete the erorr.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by honeric01(m): 11:58pm On Oct 28, 2012
God4moi:

You didn't say 'half quote' bro/sis. You said 'no quote' lol. He's even twisting he own words now.

Sorry, you're the one looking for faults because you've got nothing else to say.

BTW, i used "hardly", i never said you didn't quote. tongue
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by God4moi: 11:59pm On Oct 28, 2012
honeric01:

Stop the perambulation, who's an elder?

My bible told me that as a christian, i have been given the power to heal the sick, raise the dead, so if i am sick as a christian, my first job is to pray for myself, but when i am not healed, i can then go to those more rooted in the word for prayers and anointing in the name of the lord. (check James).

You're the one going in circles. You've not answered my question.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by God4moi: 12:01am On Oct 29, 2012
honeric01:

Sorry, you're the one looking for faults because you've got nothing else to say.

BTW, i used "hardly", i never said you didn't quote. tongue

Where did I seek fault?
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by honeric01(m): 12:01am On Oct 29, 2012
God4moi:

You're the one going in circles. You've not answered my question.

All your questions, i answered if you are careful enough to read. as for you, you jumped my questions.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by God4moi: 12:04am On Oct 29, 2012
honeric01:

All your questions, i answered if you are careful enough to read. as for you, you jumped my questions.

Please leme see the questions I missed.

And you didn't answer my q if there's a condition attached to calling elders o!
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by jes7: 12:08am On Oct 29, 2012
God4moi:

I didn't say you wrote them you jst put them in a way to send a message that you're righteous and have no need for forgiveness.

The alduterous woman do we know if she still sined again or not?

"when Christ gives you his righteousness, he liberates you completely from your sins, so that you can be free indeed." If/after you confess and show true remorse. Your freedom from sin is not that you do not have the ability not to sin. It means your guilt/sin cannot seperate you from the love of christ.

So when you sin the grace is there to repent and not repete the erorr.
Can u support your claims with the scriptures? Whether she sinned or not is not what matters here since she is not our standard. It is what Christ said that matters. Christ was not telling her something impossible when he told her to go and sin no more or do u think Christ did not know what he was saying?. What God wants from us is not a remorse but genuine and absolute repentance, that was what differentiated between Peter and Judas. Peter repented and wept and returned to follow Christ but judas was only remorseful which could not produce any fruit but depression, discouragement and eventual suicide.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by honeric01(m): 12:09am On Oct 29, 2012
God4moi:

Where did I seek fault?

God4moi:

Dey didn't deny cos there was no opportunity too.

You're obviously not talking like one.
First wat christ says is the 2 greatest commandment and den he said the 'great commission' and not "greatest commission" like you're puting it.

All these are faults finding, rather than handle the matter on ground.
Btw, commandment is different from commission. Go into the word and preach the gospel is our obligation as the light of the world. Jesus came to preach the gospel, same is expected of Christ-likes

There's nothing wrong with presuming, if there's, show me.

Lastly, you still didn't tell me what you meant by that statement.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by honeric01(m): 12:10am On Oct 29, 2012
God4moi:

Please leme see the questions I missed.

And you didn't answer my q if there's a condition attached to calling elders o!

I answered, read backward, they are all there.

my questions are also all in my previous posts.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by God4moi: 12:30am On Oct 29, 2012
jes7:
Can u support your claims with the scriptures? Whether she sinned or not is not what matters here since she is not our standard. It is what Christ said that matters. Christ was not telling her something impossible when he told her to go and sin no more or do u think Christ did not know what he was saying?. What God wants from us is not a
remorse but genuine and absolute repentance, that was what differentiated between Peter and Judas. Peter repented and wept and returned to follow Christ but judas was only remorseful which could not produce any fruit but depression, discouragement and eventual suicide.

I did not make claims about the adultrous woman. I asked questions. Claims isn't thesame as queries.

Uncle/anty you can't be truly repenant if you're not remorseful personally I believe its part of the process. However, Mark 14:71(mark was unclear as to if peters tears was as a result of repentance/remorse). Jhn 18:27 (simply stated his denial no emotion or reaction)angry
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by God4moi: 12:36am On Oct 29, 2012
honeric01:

All these are faults finding, rather than handle the matter on ground.
Btw, commandment is different from commission. Go into the word and preach the gospel is our obligation as the light of the world. Jesus came to preach the gospel, same is expected of Christ-likes

There's nothing wrong with presuming, if there's, show me.

Lastly, you still didn't tell me what you meant by that statement.

I wasn't finding fault. Like you said you want to teach / learn. In teaching you need to pass the right info. Those statements were in erorr. Safe you say you're averse to corrections tho.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Pastor Chris Oyakilome's Phone Number / Cobwebs Attack / Contradictions Analyzed:bible And Quran.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.