Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,875 members, 7,817,577 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:47 PM

Getting Married In 2 Months - Why Does He Distrust Me So Much? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Getting Married In 2 Months - Why Does He Distrust Me So Much? (17065 Views)

My Boyfriend Is Married In Nigeria! / How To Tell If A Guy Likes You: Does He Like You? Why Are Guys So Hard To Read? / What Does He Really Mean When He Says:am Missing You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Getting Married In 2 Months - Why Does He Distrust Me So Much? by member126910(f): 11:53pm On Oct 30, 2012
Hi guys, I need fresh eyes to look at this situation, as it is bugging me constantly.

I've been engaged to this guy for about 20 months - even though I was a virgin at 25 when we met, I have had previous boyfriends. He grilled me several times in the beginning, wanting to know what specifically I had "done" in the past with them, even going as far as to asking if I was gay.

We live apart, and he has always been obsessed with the idea of me "cheating". When we started, if he phoned me and I was unavailable for any reason, it meant that I was being suspicious even though I called him back asap. It doesn't help also that he is very cunning. On one occasion, I invited him to church with me, he pretended he wasn't coming, dropped me off at the station, and immediately followed me on the train back to church to see if I indeed was going where I said I was. When confronted, he said it was because I gave him a reason to believe that I was cheating by not always answering my phone immediately - he thought I was meeting up with friends after service. (Even if I do, I still don't see why this should be a problem!). One public holiday, I had lots of work to do at home so I told him I was going to work when I wasn't (I didn't want to be disturbed). He called my work, and as I wasn't there, he concluded I was cheating. He confronted me about it, and I admitted that I lied about going to work, but only because I needed to get some work done at home. He was terribly upset about this, even shouting at me down the phone. It was only later that I realised that he got so emotional because he had assumed that I was cheating, not because he was betrayed by me lying about where I was. He admits that he has had several partners before me, and also that he had never been 100% faithful to any one of them. Yet, I do not try to grill him in the same way. I do not assume that he is cheating when anything happens, if he doesn't answer his phone immediately. The funny thing about this is that the day he told me that he had never been faithful to anyone before (even in a 5 year relationship that he was in - he said the lady cheated, so he cheated for revenge), he immediately followed up saying that things might get bloody if I ever cheated on him. His first reaction if anything happens between us is "Who have you told?". He says that he doesn't want us bringing 'outsiders' into our marriage issues, which is a valid approach, but I am beginning to doubt the intention behind this.

Recently, I found out that he has (without my knowledge), not just hacked into my Twitter account but also set up his phone to receive an alert whenever anyone mentions me or sends me a message on Twitter. This is not just a hack which lets you log into my Twitter. This is an alert like a text message. This means that wherever he is, whatever he is doing, he wants to know what who contacts me on Twitter. He does have a Twitter account but isn't interested in anything I have to say and so he isn't following me. Rather he is interested in the private messages I get, and what messages people send me. By the way, I have absolutely nothing whatsoever to hide there. I do have male "followers", but these are people who I learn from. I'm quite interested in business and technology and I think it's a great learning resource for other people's experiences. So I don't mind that he can see all my conversations. What I mind about is that 2 months to our wedding, this man is convinced enough that I might be flirting with other men, that he is still trying to catch me out through various methods. This worries me, because why would anyone go through wedding planning and preparations with someone they don't trust? I'm not a flirt, I don't have many friends yet I'm being treated like a criminal. I almost regret saving up myself all these years only to end up being monitored and investigated for infidelity for no just cause. This breaks my heart because I don't treat him the same way, and I don't know what I have done to deserve this kind of treatment.

The ironic thing is that early this year, I met a guy on the plane, who can be desribed as a ladies man. This man stared at me for the entire duration of the 6-hour flight, at the end of which he stopped me to chat me up. I initially thought he recognised me from somewhere, but when it seemed he just wanted to chat a girl up, I told him I was married and walked away. I narrated this to my fiance, and by pure coincidence 3 months later, it turned out the same guy in question was dating my fiance's cousin, and had narrated the incident to her as well, confirming my story in public! If anyone ever needed reassurance, then I would have thought that would be it - but my fiance says that his problem is that I shouldn't even have had a conversation with a stranger in the first place! So basically he's not convinced that I wouldn't sleep with any odd guy that catches my fancy if he had the right qualities. When you love someone, have given them yourself in a way that you'll never give anyone, and want to spend the rest of your life with them, this is very hard to hear. I understand that he has been cheated on before, and it was difficult for him, being a very very caring guy, but it still doesn't justify punishing me for other peoples sins.

What do you make of this, guys? Are his fears justified? Is this how Nigerian relationships usually are, or is my case a special case? I'm really really pissed off about this Twitter issue, especially as there is no need for it.

4 Likes

Re: Getting Married In 2 Months - Why Does He Distrust Me So Much? by Nobody: 11:56pm On Oct 30, 2012
Run. . .

Or you regret marrying him for the rest of your life. A broken courtship is better than a broken home. Your happiness comes first.

40 Likes

Re: Getting Married In 2 Months - Why Does He Distrust Me So Much? by member126910(f): 12:00am On Oct 31, 2012
Thanks for the advice. Is there any part of my post above which suggests that things cannot be worked out? I'm just really upset about this, and I'm in a mess.
Re: Getting Married In 2 Months - Why Does He Distrust Me So Much? by Nobody: 12:03am On Oct 31, 2012
member_126910: Thanks for the advice. Is there any part of my post above which suggests that things cannot be worked out? I'm just really upset about this, and I'm in a mess.
Everything about it.

You cannot marry someone who cannot trust you. . . No one deserves that

7 Likes

Re: Getting Married In 2 Months - Why Does He Distrust Me So Much? by Nobody: 12:06am On Oct 31, 2012
And errm. . . You are not to be blamed for his insecurities. . . He needs to sort himself out

5 Likes

Re: Getting Married In 2 Months - Why Does He Distrust Me So Much? by uyiekpenm(f): 12:08am On Oct 31, 2012
He is a control freak. U hv to run now while u still can. Such a pErson can kill

5 Likes

Re: Getting Married In 2 Months - Why Does He Distrust Me So Much? by member126910(f): 12:16am On Oct 31, 2012
I've heard this before, but I'm confused because it is hard to imagine how, as he is normally very loving and caring. It's just that when the jealousy sets in, it becomes very difficult to understand, or even manage.
Re: Getting Married In 2 Months - Why Does He Distrust Me So Much? by k2039: 12:20am On Oct 31, 2012
sexkillz: Run. . .

Or you regret marrying him for the rest of your life. A broken courtship is better than a broken home. Your happiness comes first.

Whats the point of being in a relationship with someone who doesnt trust you

[size=18pt] GBAM[/size]

Thread closed

6 Likes

Re: Getting Married In 2 Months - Why Does He Distrust Me So Much? by MrsChima(f): 12:33am On Oct 31, 2012
Go ahead and marry him. They are jealous.

1 Like

Re: Getting Married In 2 Months - Why Does He Distrust Me So Much? by member126910(f): 12:35am On Oct 31, 2012
*They*? You meanthe people on this thread?
Re: Getting Married In 2 Months - Why Does He Distrust Me So Much? by larrymoore(m): 3:31am On Oct 31, 2012
Speechless. Notwithstanding, only ur truth can set u free.
Re: Getting Married In 2 Months - Why Does He Distrust Me So Much? by azpekuliar: 4:34am On Oct 31, 2012
It's just a case of insecurity and being overly jealous to the point of now becoming controlling, invasive and manipulative. It's no reason to bail out of the relationship.

You only need to keep reassuring him of your love for him and why you would always be there for him. I'm sure he has fears and anxieties (perhaps born out of the fact that he was an ex-player) but this is not the time to be dismissive of them, but to lend a listening ear.

The man loves you and some fair amount of jealousy is necessary to maintain a healthy relationship but let him know that this sort of extreme jealousy can also alienate you from him.

He's a jealous man that just needs extra reassurance of your unconditional love for him. Provide that and go on with them marriage plans.

Good luck!

4 Likes

Re: Getting Married In 2 Months - Why Does He Distrust Me So Much? by Mynd44: 5:30am On Oct 31, 2012
In every relationship, there must be some level of trust. It seems this guy does not trust you at all and without trust, you might as well be walking into a vush street blindfolded. Run run run
it is better to call it off now that when you are both hurting as a result of his distrust
Re: Getting Married In 2 Months - Why Does He Distrust Me So Much? by jigwe101: 6:05am On Oct 31, 2012
This will probably be the worst decision u make if u go ahead with the arrangement. Some people are lucky and see signs of a jealous, controlling, manipulative partner and run and some are un lucky because of pretending. you have seen, and if u can't tolerate this during your courtship, what makes you think you will tolerate it for the rest if your life ? Now it will really be your fault because u knew this before saying I do.

P.S there are alot of caring loving guys in the world

1 Like

Re: Getting Married In 2 Months - Why Does He Distrust Me So Much? by member126910(f): 6:06am On Oct 31, 2012
azpekuliar: It's just a case of insecurity and being overly jealous to the point of now becoming controlling, invasive and manipulative. It's no reason to bail out of the relationship.

You only need to keep reassuring him of your love for him and why you would always be there for him. I'm sure he has fears and anxieties (perhaps born out of the fact that he was an ex-player) but this is not the time to be dismissive of them, but to lend a listening ear.

The man loves you and some fair amount of jealousy is necessary to maintain a healthy relationship but let him know that this sort of extreme jealousy can also alienate you from him.

He's a jealous man that just needs extra reassurance of your unconditional love for him. Provide that and go on with them marriage plans.

Good luck!

Hoe much reassurance is enough reassurance? Is this "constant reassurance" a cross I will have to bear all my life? Does this mean this it's going to be like this forever and ever and ever?
Re: Getting Married In 2 Months - Why Does He Distrust Me So Much? by darmiex(f): 6:09am On Oct 31, 2012
RUN RUN RUN. it will never change, don't kid yourself. any relationship without trust would not work. it will soon degenerate to him picking your calls, scanning through your call logs to know who you discussed with and what you discussed. truth is, the deep seated mistrust is actually a sign of other problems; he is a control freak etc. the moment you marry him, he will probably ask you to change your phone number.

2 Likes

Re: Getting Married In 2 Months - Why Does He Distrust Me So Much? by Mynd44: 6:11am On Oct 31, 2012
member_126910:

Hoe much reassurance is enough reassurance? Is this "constant reassurance" a cross I will have to bear all my life? Does this mean this it's going to be like this forever and ever and ever?
You will continue to reassure him for the rest of your life together if you don't walk away now. Do you think he will change just cos you are married, instead it will increase. The monitoring, the questions, accusation and he might even get violent. Do you really wanna end like that?

3 Likes

Re: Getting Married In 2 Months - Why Does He Distrust Me So Much? by member126910(f): 6:23am On Oct 31, 2012
Mynd_44: In every relationship, there must be some level of trust. It seems this guy does not trust you at all and without trust, you might as well be walking into a vush street blindfolded. Run run run
it is better to call it off now that when you are both hurting as a result of his distrust

We have talked about this though, and he says that he trusts me. He says he only does this because we need to be accountable to each other, and I can do the same thing to him if I wanted, but I even though I love him dearly, I don't have the energy to start grilling him for no reason.
Re: Getting Married In 2 Months - Why Does He Distrust Me So Much? by Mynd44: 6:25am On Oct 31, 2012
member_126910:

We have talked about this though, and he says that he trusts me. He says he only does this because we veed to be accountable to each other, and I can do the same thing to him if I wavted, but I don't think I have it in me to be the same way back.
Believe me, he said that to get out of a sticky situation. If you trust someone, you don't need them to be accountable, you take their word for it

8 Likes

Re: Getting Married In 2 Months - Why Does He Distrust Me So Much? by blackbalang(f): 7:07am On Oct 31, 2012
azpekuliar: It's just a case of insecurity and being overly jealous to the point of now becoming controlling, invasive and manipulative. It's no reason to bail out of the relationship.

Good luck!
Reassurance ke!. Sorry to say but I don't think this guy is ok. He sound like d kind of mind dat wld lock his wife in d bedroom be4 going to work

@Op we really can't tell you to stay or RUN, you know him better than we do. But I don't feel ani lady shd stand this kinda abuse cause I feel its going to get worse when u say "I DO".
Re: Getting Married In 2 Months - Why Does He Distrust Me So Much? by bknight: 7:08am On Oct 31, 2012
This is bound to deteriorate in marriage.

He was cheated on as many others have been hurt. Its no excuse to become a nuisance. He exhibits traits of extreme insecurity (perhaps brought on by inferiority) else, let him get over it and get a life. He sounds a low-life. I don't mean any offence here, but these behaviors are low-life and like he has no better things to occupy his mind.

Reading through makes me think of you as a rather sound mind. But what beats me is why get engaged 2 months after u met him and waited another 18months to discover/bother about these? Except of course, I don't get it.

If he's started to shout at you, Watch it!

4 Likes

Re: Getting Married In 2 Months - Why Does He Distrust Me So Much? by obo389(m): 7:25am On Oct 31, 2012
sexkillz: Everything about it.

You cannot marry someone who cannot trust you. . . No one deserves that
Your right.mistrust breeds insecurity,insecurity then results to issues that you never wished to be part of in the first place.
@OP,Thres no assurance or guarantee from ur ends meant for resolvin this challenge with both of you cos the more d guy tries to calm down,the more he may still continue to find means and avenues of not trusting you.its really gona be difficult mostly for u.another thing,maybe because you too fine...
*wink*
Re: Getting Married In 2 Months - Why Does He Distrust Me So Much? by free2ryhme: 8:58am On Oct 31, 2012
you are not married and you allowed the guy to grill you to prove to him you are not gay and u call ursef a xtian... This relationship is doomed to fail .. is a hard truth that must be said ...

1 Like

Re: Getting Married In 2 Months - Why Does He Distrust Me So Much? by Nairalandisdead: 9:46am On Oct 31, 2012
RUN RUN RUN!!!!! This is coming from a man.

My take is that he is so cheating on you and thinks you are doing the same. RUN RUN RUN!!! Once you guys get married, it's gonna be worse!

www.fromsources.com - #1 news aggregator in Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Getting Married In 2 Months - Why Does He Distrust Me So Much? by justwise(m): 9:48am On Oct 31, 2012
@ member_126910

I don't think its right for anybody here to tell you to marry him or not but the question is....is this the type of man you want? Are you happy to put up with his behavior if you got married?

7 Likes

Re: Getting Married In 2 Months - Why Does He Distrust Me So Much? by jpphilips(m): 9:53am On Oct 31, 2012
member_126910: Hi guys, I need fresh eyes to look at this situation, as it is bugging me constantly.

I've been engaged to this guy for about 20 months, and we got engaged after 2-3 months of dating. Even though I was a virgin at 25 when we met, I have had previous boyfriends. He grilled me several times in the beginning, wanting to know what specifically I had "done" in the past with them, even going as far as to asking if I was gay.

We live apart, and he has always been obsessed with the idea of me "cheating". When we started, if he phoned me and I was unavailable for any reason, it meant that I was being suspicious even though I called him back asap. It doesn't help also that he is very cunning. On one occasion, I invited him to church with me, he pretended he wasn't coming, dropped me off at the station, and immediately followed me on the train back to church to see if I indeed was going where I said I was. When confronted, he said it was because I gave him a reason to believe that I was cheating by not always answering my phone immediately - he thought I was meeting up with friends after service. (Even if I do, I still don't see why this should be a problem!). One public holiday, I had lots of work to do at home so I told him I was going to work when I wasn't (I didn't want to be disturbed). He called my work, and as I wasn't there, he concluded I was cheating. He confronted me about it, and I admitted that I lied about going to work, but only because I needed to get some work done at home. He was terribly upset about this, even shouting at me down the phone. It was only later that I realised that he got so emotional because he had assumed that I was cheating, not because he was betrayed by me lying about where I was. He admits that he has had several partners before me, and also that he had never been 100% faithful to any one of them. Yet, I do not try to grill him in the same way. I do not assume that he is cheating when anything happens, if he doesn't answer his phone immediately. The funny thing about this is that the day he told me that he had never been faithful to anyone before (even in a 5 year relationship that he was in - he said the lady cheated, so he cheated for revenge), he immediately followed up saying that things might get bloody if I ever cheated on him. His first reaction if anything happens between us is "Who have you told?". He says that he doesn't want us bringing 'outsiders' into our marriage issues, which is a valid approach, but I am beginning to doubt the intention behind this.

Recently, I found out that he has (without my knowledge), not just hacked into my Twitter account but also set up his phone to receive an alert whenever anyone mentions me or sends me a message on Twitter. This is not just a hack which lets you log into my Twitter. This is an alert like a text message. This means that wherever he is, whatever he is doing, he wants to know what who contacts me on Twitter. He does have a Twitter account but isn't interested in anything I have to say and so he isn't following me. Rather he is interested in the private messages I get, and what messages people send me. By the way, I have absolutely nothing whatsoever to hide there. I do have male "followers", but these are people who I learn from. I'm quite interested in business and technology and I think it's a great learning resource for other people's experiences. So I don't mind that he can see all my conversations. What I mind about is that 2 months to our wedding, this man is convinced enough that I might be flirting with other men, that he is still trying to catch me out through various methods. This worries me, because why would anyone go through wedding planning and preparations with someone they don't trust? I'm not a flirt, I don't have many friends yet I'm being treated like a criminal. I almost regret saving up myself all these years only to end up being monitored and investigated for infidelity for no just cause. This breaks my heart because I don't treat him the same way, and I don't know what I have done to deserve this kind of treatment.

The ironic thing is that early this year, I met a guy on the plane, who can be desribed as a ladies man. This man stared at me for the entire duration of the 6-hour flight, at the end of which he stopped me to chat me up. I initially thought he recognised me from somewhere, but when it seemed he just wanted to chat a girl up, I told him I was married and walked away. I narrated this to my fiance, and by pure coincidence 3 months later, it turned out the same guy in question was dating my fiance's cousin, and had narrated the incident to her as well, confirming my story in public! If anyone ever needed reassurance, then I would have thought that would be it - but my fiance says that his problem is that I shouldn't even have had a conversation with a stranger in the first place! So basically he's not convinced that I wouldn't sleep with any odd guy that catches my fancy if he had the right qualities. When you love someone, have given them yourself in a way that you'll never give anyone, and want to spend the rest of your life with them, this is very hard to hear. I understand that he has been cheated on before, and it was difficult for him, being a very very caring guy, but it still doesn't justify punishing me for other peoples sins.

What do you make of this, guys? Are his fears justified? Is this how Nigerian relationships usually are, or is my case a special case? I'm really really pissed off about this Twitter issue, especially as there is no need for it.

lol, funny enough it took you nearly 3 decades to realize that your sexual orientation aka virginity count for nothing in the real world.

how i wished you skipped the bold parts in your post, it shows you have a mindset that you are a trophy that should be treated better than anyone else, implying you don't deserve his paranoia.
Nonsense!!!!!
DOUBT IF YOU KNOW THAT W.H,O.R,E.S WERE ONCE VIRGINS LOL,

2 Likes

Re: Getting Married In 2 Months - Why Does He Distrust Me So Much? by Chrisbenogor(m): 9:57am On Oct 31, 2012
@OP
Every relationship is doomed to fail or to succeed. No advice here should make you end your relationship you need to sit down, think and try to make this work.
Let me first say this asides from that he is paranoid I think he cares enough to be paranoid, that's a positive. If you have not grilled him about his past then you need to do that now, not in an interrogatory way but more like a "I want to know what your story " way. You also need to learn to tailor your reactions to these things to work to your advantage, instead of surprise and disgust try laughing and reassuring.

I am saying all this because we all have one baggage or the other, I do not believe in condemning a relationship because of one problem. Sit with him, have this talk and make him understand you do not expect him to change overnight, but you would by your actions be willing to help him work through it. At some point he will cross the line and fully trust you, there are jealous people in the world who still have very good marriages. If you think he is worth it then you need to tackle the issue instead of sit back and expect him to "change" overnight.

Work on your relationship, not many people have got what you have.

2 Likes

Re: Getting Married In 2 Months - Why Does He Distrust Me So Much? by Nobody: 9:57am On Oct 31, 2012
You will be back in a few months here lamenting about an abusive husband.
You wouldn't tell us you saw the signs but would paint the man a devil and yourself a saint.

Please do yourself a favour and look for someone you are compatible with.
The man isn't a devil but isn't right for you either.

5 Likes

Re: Getting Married In 2 Months - Why Does He Distrust Me So Much? by femi4: 9:59am On Oct 31, 2012
I m afraid the guy is here on nairaland...and he's reading this thread.grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Getting Married In 2 Months - Why Does He Distrust Me So Much? by Odinaka00(m): 10:00am On Oct 31, 2012
My dear pls marriage is a very serious institution nd I guess U̶̲̥̅̊ knw that already....if a man whom U̶̲̥̅̊ re not married Ť☺ yet can control nd grill u like this, I wonder Ђơ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡ω he s gon treat u wen both of you get married, hacking into ♈☺uЯ twitter account was so childish, getting upset whenever u didn't pick his call Ť☺ ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ is nonsense, my adcvice Ť☺ you is Ť☺ threatn him bout ur future with him(marriage) and see if he s gon stop Ŧħåϯ his childish behaviour
Reltionship without trust doesn't work, likewise in marriage....I don't understand y U̶̲̥̅̊ re even married Ť☺ this your fiance nd u re complaining already, I wonder Wђɑ̤̥̈̊† wud hapun if u guys get married
Ť☺ think Ŧħåϯ ♈☺uЯ wedding tin is jux 2 months from nw beats ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ hard.....nne think wella sha
Re: Getting Married In 2 Months - Why Does He Distrust Me So Much? by Nobody: 10:01am On Oct 31, 2012
There r two ways to this, you can either go ahead n marry him then he might get physical one day because of his insecurity, or u can cut your loss and find a better man... by the way, he's a pathological womanizer. ... so the fear of karma is what hunts him... don't get me wrong he might just be really in love with u, but then, can u love someone u don't trust? think long and hard because marriage no get part two...

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Obsessed / Man Wins 280 Million In Bet9ja And His Account Gets Blocked. / My Friend Has Been Assaulted By Her Boyfriend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.