Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,658 members, 7,809,494 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:34 AM

Can Anyone Tell Me Why Is It That When Ladies Meet A Guy The First Question - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Can Anyone Tell Me Why Is It That When Ladies Meet A Guy The First Question (2661 Views)

What Does It Mean When Ladies Can't Look At A Guy Straight In The Eye? / Guys, Do You Feel Uncomfortable When Ladies Are Obviously Staring At You / Men When ladies Insults You, What Do You Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Anyone Tell Me Why Is It That When Ladies Meet A Guy The First Question by donpapa(m): 2:41pm On Jan 31, 2008
Can anyone tell me why is it that when ladies meet a guy the first question they ask is *WHAT DO YOU DO?* in other words, what do you do for a living? I don't have time for a broke nicca, and i'm trying to understand, what does a man job have to do with him chatting or holding convo with her?
Re: Can Anyone Tell Me Why Is It That When Ladies Meet A Guy The First Question by jkpretty(f): 3:03pm On Jan 31, 2008
Why do u have to bother ur head over the question, why don't u try ur hands fixed on something which will enable u answer the question & even the next question, with a confident smile. tongue

On a serious note: The reason for that question, depends on different girls. Well, but most girls will eventually have to ask that question. Arrangement could now be different. Lol grin
Re: Can Anyone Tell Me Why Is It That When Ladies Meet A Guy The First Question by NaJaHaJe(f): 3:14pm On Jan 31, 2008
i think it goes back to the cave days. Women still have the animal instinct to provide for our yound. So we are on the look out for suitable men that can provide for our children.
Re: Can Anyone Tell Me Why Is It That When Ladies Meet A Guy The First Question by fabiyi: 4:17pm On Jan 31, 2008
Nice job donpapa,

it's just as if u were reading my mine. I meant three ladies of recent at different interval and they all asked me the same questions: 'who are you?where do you work? and which part of lagos do you reside?'

I was godsmacked not because of the questions per se but why all of them keep on asking d same questions.

Did they have meeting on men or guys wot do u think?

Maybe, every lady wants a well-made guy. well, I won't blame them sha, they are just trying not to fall victim of hunger.

So ladies, Thumbs'up in your search.
Re: Can Anyone Tell Me Why Is It That When Ladies Meet A Guy The First Question by opokonwa(m): 4:36pm On Jan 31, 2008
'Security' Most girls are very concerned about 'security'

On a more serious note however, the question 'WHAT DO YOU DO?' says a lot about your social status, educational level and whether or not you may match the girl's social preferences.

It's an all encompassing question.

I believe that you guys will ask the same question if you were ladies. wink

The only cases where the question doesn't prop up is if the lady knew you well b/f the dating came up.
Re: Can Anyone Tell Me Why Is It That When Ladies Meet A Guy The First Question by earthrealm(m): 4:47pm On Jan 31, 2008
i dont see any thing wrong with, they do it so as to know how to relate with u,
i do it myself when someone pms on yahoo chat, it determines what direction the conversation will flow n also enables me have a rough estimate of the persons age, without it being very obvious,

from a gals perspective, a guy who is not doing anything at the present isnt a good choice, it isnt a must that u must be working in an establishment, u cud be into biz/contracts, even if na barber u be, tha is SOMETHING!!!, it shows that u aint idle, u are hardworking and is willing to use any lil chance to better urself
Re: Can Anyone Tell Me Why Is It That When Ladies Meet A Guy The First Question by jkpretty(f): 4:57pm On Jan 31, 2008
opokonwa:

On a more serious note however, the question 'WHAT DO YOU DO?' says a lot about your social status, educational level and whether or not you may match the girl's social preferences.

It's an all encompassing question.

I believe that you guys will ask the same question if you were ladies. wink

The only cases where the question doesn't prop up is if the lady knew you well b/f the dating came up.

This coming from a guy, thumps up.

I'm sure u guys will even ask your sis, What the guy she's moving with does.

But seriously when u strike conversation with some intelligent chaps, u want to know where they r coming from.
Re: Can Anyone Tell Me Why Is It That When Ladies Meet A Guy The First Question by Quesera: 6:59pm On Jan 31, 2008
They do that so they can decipher if you are fit for the front seat of their lives
or you are meant for the boot. grin grin grin
Re: Can Anyone Tell Me Why Is It That When Ladies Meet A Guy The First Question by opokonwa(m): 8:56am On Feb 01, 2008
jkpretty:

This coming from a guy, thumps up.

I'm sure u guys will even ask your sis, What the guy she's moving with does.

But seriously when u strike conversation with some intelligent chaps, u want to know where they r coming from.

Thanks JK

I'm just keeping it REAL wink
Re: Can Anyone Tell Me Why Is It That When Ladies Meet A Guy The First Question by ThoniaSlim(f): 9:08am On Feb 01, 2008
as someone said above. "SECURITY" no woman wants to suffer. neither does any woman want a lazy man who has no dreams or aspirations. or sometime this might just be a conversational line.
Re: Can Anyone Tell Me Why Is It That When Ladies Meet A Guy The First Question by daynike(f): 9:09am On Feb 01, 2008
To know his capability
Re: Can Anyone Tell Me Why Is It That When Ladies Meet A Guy The First Question by Tobiegal(f): 6:35pm On Feb 01, 2008
Frankly, i dont cee nuthin rong in d question,

The reasons may vary from:
- u may ave been in skool 2gether n avent seen each oda in years,
-U served together n after youth service u lost touch n she is working, wen next dey cee, it just follows dat i'l ask, wot do u do?
- It may also be dat i need 2 knw u level of responsibility, only one dat is wldnt be bothered wen asked such question,

So u ce, it doesnt ave 2 mean dat dem gals want 2 knw d size of ur pocket or sth, sum pple r just straight forward and believe such questions wldnt inimidate a matured guy, cheesy

Ofcourse, it would if u r in skool or sth, undecided

ciao
Re: Can Anyone Tell Me Why Is It That When Ladies Meet A Guy The First Question by Mandora(f): 9:33pm On Feb 01, 2008
To poster: Wat wld u rather have as d 1st questn?
Re: Can Anyone Tell Me Why Is It That When Ladies Meet A Guy The First Question by adeboo(f): 12:27am On Feb 02, 2008
I dont think thats the ultimate question but for sure u gotta know now.
Re: Can Anyone Tell Me Why Is It That When Ladies Meet A Guy The First Question by donpapa(m): 2:05pm On Feb 02, 2008
Why do u have to bother your head over the question, why don't u try your hands fixed on something which will enable u answer the question & even the next question, with a confident smile.

@jkpretty
what gave you the odacity that my hands ain't fixed on something, d' yu think that shud be the right question for a start?
Re: Can Anyone Tell Me Why Is It That When Ladies Meet A Guy The First Question by janami(f): 9:05pm On Feb 02, 2008
because the proper pattern of an introduction goes thus: my name is okanlawon. i am an accountant from okitipupa. you? abi, no be so? undecided
Re: Can Anyone Tell Me Why Is It That When Ladies Meet A Guy The First Question by Dreloaded(f): 9:08pm On Feb 02, 2008
cos we dont want the EFCC knocking on our door and taking us away for being "guilty by association"
Re: Can Anyone Tell Me Why Is It That When Ladies Meet A Guy The First Question by CrazyMan(m): 9:09pm On Feb 02, 2008
My dear, they have to know what you do for a living because it would be impossible for a lady to cope with a jobless guy.
Re: Can Anyone Tell Me Why Is It That When Ladies Meet A Guy The First Question by iice(f): 4:22pm On Feb 06, 2008
LOL. . .not me though
Re: Can Anyone Tell Me Why Is It That When Ladies Meet A Guy The First Question by omega25red(m): 4:35pm On Feb 06, 2008
well i hope that after a woman ask's you that question you have a good answer and you should also ask her that question too and if she doesn't have a good answer you should make her feel the way she would make you feel if you had a bad answer. just because a woman doesn't want to suffer doesn't mean that she shouldn't be able to provide just as much as the man can provide

oh well i know this is wishful thinking because most men in Nigeria are still of the mind set that they have to be the one and only provider in their family so they could have all the power in the relationship. For me a chick could be HOT as hell but if her head is not screwed on right she would look very unattractive and my mind would only be on getting some sexual gratification and nothing more.
Re: Can Anyone Tell Me Why Is It That When Ladies Meet A Guy The First Question by okoomoge2(m): 5:00pm On Feb 06, 2008
omega you have spoken well!
9ja ladies are something else, it is only God that can deliver 9ja men from their claws.
I believe any lady that ask me on meeting with the question what do u do is a gold digger!
If u tell the babe I am engineer who works with exxon mobil, the reaction on her face would be waoh nice catch and If u go further to say I actually work with exxon mobil in houston but I am in nigeria for a project the next question would be where are you staying, if u tell her I live somewhere in lekki phase one , the next question would be do you live alone if u say yeah, i bet you she would start saying my ex boy friend used to ,
9ja babes are just something else, I tire for them walahi. True love is dead in 9ja.
Dats why you see then marrying arm robbers, yahoo boys, ritualist just anybody once the benjanmis in your pocket.
what wrong in a lady dating a guy that matches her quality of her dream husband, if the dream husband does not have kudi
Re: Can Anyone Tell Me Why Is It That When Ladies Meet A Guy The First Question by 1k001(m): 6:20pm On Feb 08, 2008
I usually don't have an issue against being asked what i do. Usually i'd ask first as i think it's a great conversation starter. Furthermore gives an insight into the person and one can take the conversation on from there. Granted some people mightn't ask with the same purpose in mind, however i think more often than not that there really isn't anything else to talk to a strnger about except what they do. This then provides an avenue to gain a better understanding of an individual because wether one like sit or not, what one does largely defines who they are.
Re: Can Anyone Tell Me Why Is It That When Ladies Meet A Guy The First Question by msanda(m): 7:46am On Feb 09, 2008
Guy, no matter what you do for a living, it doesn't matter! shocked
The question is just to get the conversation going. You don't even have to answer it. So long as you can say something interesting.
For instance, she asks what you do for a living and you go, "I dey sell cigar." She's gonna laff and say, "seriously" And we all know, laffin is good. . . if you are interested in the gal.
Besides, you have no reason to be ashamed of whatever you do for a living. I seriously don't believe it matters. I currently work in "a very good company", but before that, I was unemployed for a period of 3 months. I dare say, I got laid more often then than now.
Just let the lady know you are serious about making something of yourself. But you have to believe it too.
Re: Can Anyone Tell Me Why Is It That When Ladies Meet A Guy The First Question by almondjoy(f): 11:15am On Feb 09, 2008
I definitely would want to know because it might just give me an insight as to how responsible the guy is. It might just determine how far I am willing to go with him.

Not an unreasonable question at all. kiss
Re: Can Anyone Tell Me Why Is It That When Ladies Meet A Guy The First Question by U1(m): 12:35pm On Feb 09, 2008
@Topic

They ask that in order to ascertain how capable you are, and how much you should be able to spend on them. Greedy ones! lipsrsealed undecided
Re: Can Anyone Tell Me Why Is It That When Ladies Meet A Guy The First Question by earthrealm(m): 11:52pm On Feb 09, 2008
Re: Can Anyone Tell Me Why Is It That When Ladies Meet A Guy The First Question by Honda29: 3:20pm On Jun 11, 2011
"Can anyone tell me why is it that when ladies meet a guy the first question they ask is *WHAT DO YOU DO?* in other words, what do you do for a living? I don't have time for a broke nicca, and i'm trying to understand, what does a man job have to do with him chatting or holding convo with her?"

She want to have idea of how much money you make. She need a mugu (sucker) to pay her bills, you know.
Re: Can Anyone Tell Me Why Is It That When Ladies Meet A Guy The First Question by 190: 3:24pm On Jun 11, 2011
Honda29:

"Can anyone tell me why is it that when ladies meet a guy the first question they ask is *WHAT DO YOU DO?* in other words, what do you do for a living? I don't have time for a broke nicca, and i'm trying to understand, what does a man job have to do with him chatting or holding convo with her?"

She want to have idea of how much money you make. She need a mugu (sucker) to pay her bills, you know.

shakin my head!
Re: Can Anyone Tell Me Why Is It That When Ladies Meet A Guy The First Question by annita19(f): 3:27pm On Jun 11, 2011
Because no chick in her right senses wants to be with some jobless, lazy, a criminal or drug dealer. So answer such question shouldn't be a big deal unless your into any of these above.
Re: Can Anyone Tell Me Why Is It That When Ladies Meet A Guy The First Question by aminalib(f): 3:39pm On Jun 11, 2011
I think that is all part of getting to know someone, a guy should not mind to tell a woman his profession or job if he is not ashamed of it, men ask women as well what they do for a living, people want to know if you are a bum or if u actually leave your house to work or have arrangements that take care of your daily living.
Re: Can Anyone Tell Me Why Is It That When Ladies Meet A Guy The First Question by upendo98(f): 5:05pm On Jun 11, 2011
Oh No its got nothing to do with his financial status. Well not for me at all.
The reason I would like to know is to lay foundation for our discussion since we just met. Call it breaking the ice.
Why fumble with words whn we first meet? We must be compatible mentally and I gauge ur intelligence and how articulate you are when you talk about your job and also see how upto date you are with whats happening in the world. Others will use the weather,others traffic,others politics.Depends really.
That will now dictate the rest of conversation
Re: Can Anyone Tell Me Why Is It That When Ladies Meet A Guy The First Question by Mynd44: 8:35pm On Jun 11, 2011
Thank God someone has observed this too why must i tell every girl i meet that i am a YAHOO BOY before they even get to know me

(1) (2) (Reply)

Engagement Ring / My Story- Sincere Advice Pls. / Help! My Ex Wont Let Me Be

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.