Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,204 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:39 PM

Editor-in-chief Of Nigerian Compass Shot - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Editor-in-chief Of Nigerian Compass Shot (6767 Views)

Shiites Attempted Assassination Of Buratai, The Chief-Of-Army-Staff In Zaria / Sahara Reporters Labels Buhari As "Nigeria's Junketer-In-Chief" (Photos) / How Chief-Of-Army-Staff Buratai Spent His Sallah(pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Editor-in-chief Of Nigerian Compass Shot by OYINBOGOJU(m): 10:15pm On Nov 06, 2012
Adesina Kawonise, the Managing Director/Editor-in-Chief of the Nigerian Compass newspaper, was attacked last night by gunmen on the Akure-Ilesha highway, receiving gunshot wounds.

A statement signed by Biodun Oduwole, on behalf of the Board of Directors of Western Publishing Company Limited, the publishers of the newspaper, said that a police security detail that was traveling with him was also hurt.

Kawonise was returning from Awka where he had gone to present a Keynote Address at the 17th Annual Conference of the Nigerian Anthropological and Sociological Association and where he was presented with a Distinguished Sociologist Award by the association.
“He was in a convoy of two vehicles when the vehicle in which he was travelling was suddenly ambushed at the Ikeji-Arakeji junction shortly after Akure at about 8.30pm,” the statement said.

“Sporadic gunfire from men hidden by the roadside was unleashed on the two vehicles and Mr Kawonise and the policeman seated with the driver in front of the vehicle were hit by bullets. They were immediately rushed to a private hospital from where the policeman was transferred to the Wesley Guild Hospital Ilesha for surgery.”

Mr Kawonise was this morning transferred to the University College Hospital, Ibadan, where he was admitted and had surgery.
“We do not know the motive of the attackers of Mr Kawonise but he recently received threats to his person from some unknown Internet messengers,” the statement said.

Expressing gratitude to God that no lives were lost in the attack, the Board of Directors assured all Nigerians that the Nigerian Compass, under the management leadership of Mr Kawonise, “will not fight shy of its social responsibility and it's crusading pact with the Nigerian people.”

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/editor-chief-nigerian-compass-shot
Re: Editor-in-chief Of Nigerian Compass Shot by OYINBOGOJU(m): 10:18pm On Nov 06, 2012
The Police are on top of the situation........ NPF
Re: Editor-in-chief Of Nigerian Compass Shot by valdubem(m): 10:20pm On Nov 06, 2012
Just passing! «Stops and finds out He's d SECOND to comment»

Oya haters, running of mouth begins, NOW!
Re: Editor-in-chief Of Nigerian Compass Shot by Nobody: 10:21pm On Nov 06, 2012
JOURNALISTS ARE SUDDENLY BECOMING RARE SPECIES.O MA SE O!
Re: Editor-in-chief Of Nigerian Compass Shot by Nobody: 10:26pm On Nov 06, 2012
.......steps away from 1st to comment...i will be there somday
Re: Editor-in-chief Of Nigerian Compass Shot by Redmosquito(m): 10:27pm On Nov 06, 2012
Minion: My King,The assassination attempt failed
Hades: Praise Me! Wtf is up wit those damn nigerians? Must I always remind them that down here isnt called the Underworld for nothing?! This place is more conducive for criminals, it is kinda like an extension of Alagbon or Kirikiri. I dont like saints spoilin the environment. They beta go back to their village angry
Minion: Duly noted. Ur Darkness!
Re: Editor-in-chief Of Nigerian Compass Shot by slimdude(m): 10:27pm On Nov 06, 2012
"They" are always fighting the press...
Well,the long time cliche says "you can kill the mesenger,but you can't kill the message".
Ask Saro Wiwa (of blessed memory)
Re: Editor-in-chief Of Nigerian Compass Shot by franchizy(m): 10:44pm On Nov 06, 2012
OYINBOGOJU: The Police are on top of the situation........ NPF

=)) =)) I don Lafffº°˚=)) =)) ˚°º≈GIVEº°˚ ˚=)) =)) °º≈BOKO HARRAMº°˚ ˚ºUr HOUSE ADDRESS°˚ ˚°º~=)) =))
Re: Editor-in-chief Of Nigerian Compass Shot by AbdulAdam56(m): 10:44pm On Nov 06, 2012
Naija need a formatin,may God help us,enemies want him dead.
Re: Editor-in-chief Of Nigerian Compass Shot by OYINBOGOJU(m): 10:45pm On Nov 06, 2012
franchizy:

=)) =)) I don Lafffº°˚=)) =)) ˚°º≈GIVEº°˚ ˚=)) =)) °º≈BOKO HARRAMº°˚ ˚ºUr HOUSE ADDRESS°˚ ˚°º~=)) =))

A beg oooooo

I never get life insurance for my family......
Re: Editor-in-chief Of Nigerian Compass Shot by Mobinga: 10:50pm On Nov 06, 2012
What's with the lame arss comments above?
Re: Editor-in-chief Of Nigerian Compass Shot by OkwaIfugo(m): 10:55pm On Nov 06, 2012
Set up a committe to look into this.
Re: Editor-in-chief Of Nigerian Compass Shot by djustice: 11:00pm On Nov 06, 2012
ACN at work again. Their intolerance for criticism is reaching dangerous levels. First, they detained and charged Lere Olayinka on false grounds, and now, this! God is watching them o.
Re: Editor-in-chief Of Nigerian Compass Shot by ifyalways(f): 11:01pm On Nov 06, 2012
The mind get mind sha. Awka to Akure is quite some distance, why didn't he fly?

Anyways, thank heavens he survived.
Re: Editor-in-chief Of Nigerian Compass Shot by fitzmayowa: 11:21pm On Nov 06, 2012
Thank God for his life, i don't why he traveled that late.
May God save us in this country.
Re: Editor-in-chief Of Nigerian Compass Shot by Nobody: 12:52am On Nov 07, 2012
ifyalways: The mind get mind sha. Awka to Akure is quite some distance, why didn't he fly?

Anyways, thank heavens he survived.
Fly from where to where??
Re: Editor-in-chief Of Nigerian Compass Shot by Horus(m): 1:05am On Nov 07, 2012
"We do not know the motive of the attackers of Mr Kawonise but he recently received threats to his person from some unknown Internet messengers,”

The Police can track the IP address.
Re: Editor-in-chief Of Nigerian Compass Shot by wolebaba(m): 1:38am On Nov 07, 2012
Horus:

The Police can track the IP address.

U must be referring to CIA or FBI or METROPOLITAN police in d above......NPF are so full of sheet....they will only look 4 eye witness to the email and arrest them for ......something.....I don't know wat it is but they will be arrested sha......

1 Like

Re: Editor-in-chief Of Nigerian Compass Shot by taharqa: 1:45am On Nov 07, 2012
Nigerian newspapers and their 'stories' these day. I just finishd reading dis same story from Channels which was reportd differently. According to Channels, it was an armd robbery attack which was repulsd by d 2 policemen that accompanied d MD, one of whom receivd sm gunwound injuries. This story seem more plausible for now cos it is difficult to imagine assasins been outsmartd by just 2 policemen..... Anyways, who knows? Me i don tire for any Nigerian 'news', though i wud take Channels over SR any day
Re: Editor-in-chief Of Nigerian Compass Shot by lekanSuccess(m): 2:14am On Nov 07, 2012
We are on top of the matter.....Uncle GEJ
Re: Editor-in-chief Of Nigerian Compass Shot by otikpoko(m): 3:12am On Nov 07, 2012
Those who are supposed to be using bullet proof cars are not and vice versa undecided
Re: Editor-in-chief Of Nigerian Compass Shot by Slapme(m): 4:45am On Nov 07, 2012
I dont know why somebody will like to take the life of another person, you did not create. God is watching

2 Likes

Re: Editor-in-chief Of Nigerian Compass Shot by Slapme(m): 4:46am On Nov 07, 2012
lekan Success: We are on top of the matter.....Uncle GEJ
Re: Editor-in-chief Of Nigerian Compass Shot by Nobody: 6:29am On Nov 07, 2012
Thank God he is alive. People should try as much as possible to avoid night movement. Awka has hotels to sleep over till morning.
Re: Editor-in-chief Of Nigerian Compass Shot by mascot87(m): 7:56am On Nov 07, 2012
djustice: ACN at work again. Their intolerance for criticism is reaching dangerous levels. First, they detained and charged Lere Olayinka on false grounds, and now, this! God is watching them o.
It seems you know much about the incident,you have a case to answer lipsrsealed
Re: Editor-in-chief Of Nigerian Compass Shot by makivy(f): 8:16am On Nov 07, 2012
It seems that d 1st,2nd and 3rd to comment comes with a prize in nairaland now. :'
Re: Editor-in-chief Of Nigerian Compass Shot by ifyalways(f): 8:30am On Nov 07, 2012
Loveangel: Fly from where to where??
Asaba to Lagos . smiley
Re: Editor-in-chief Of Nigerian Compass Shot by SELFWORTH: 8:34am On Nov 07, 2012
No one is safe. Either for its poor citizens or its affluent citizens . If it was a lame unknown man, they will call it spiritual attack . God help us all.
Re: Editor-in-chief Of Nigerian Compass Shot by olly4life: 9:06am On Nov 07, 2012
A 5 man committee will be set up to look into this case. We are on top of d situation, d perpetrators will be brought to book- signed by President ............. pls fill in d gap.
Re: Editor-in-chief Of Nigerian Compass Shot by pappilo(m): 9:36am On Nov 07, 2012
story story

H ewas just a victim of attempted armed robbery.
Re: Editor-in-chief Of Nigerian Compass Shot by jpphilips(m): 2:00pm On Nov 07, 2012
OYINBOGOJU: Adesina Kawonise, the Managing Director/Editor-in-Chief of the Nigerian Compass newspaper, was attacked last night by gunmen on the Akure-Ilesha highway, receiving gunshot wounds.

A statement signed by Biodun Oduwole, on behalf of the Board of Directors of Western Publishing Company Limited, the publishers of the newspaper, said that a police security detail that was traveling with him was also hurt.

Kawonise was returning from Awka where he had gone to present a Keynote Address at the 17th Annual Conference of the Nigerian Anthropological and Sociological Association and where he was presented with a Distinguished Sociologist Award by the association.
“He was in a convoy of two vehicles when the vehicle in which he was travelling was suddenly ambushed at the Ikeji-Arakeji junction shortly after Akure at about 8.30pm,” the statement said.

“Sporadic gunfire from men hidden by the roadside was unleashed on the two vehicles and Mr Kawonise and the policeman seated with the driver in front of the vehicle were hit by bullets. They were immediately rushed to a private hospital from where the policeman was transferred to the Wesley Guild Hospital Ilesha for surgery.”

Mr Kawonise was this morning transferred to the University College Hospital, Ibadan, where he was admitted and had surgery.
“We do not know the motive of the attackers of Mr Kawonise but he recently received threats to his person from some unknown Internet messengers,” the statement said.

Expressing gratitude to God that no lives were lost in the attack, the Board of Directors assured all Nigerians that the Nigerian Compass, under the management leadership of Mr Kawonise, “will not fight shy of its social responsibility and it's crusading pact with the Nigerian people.”

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/editor-chief-nigerian-compass-shot

you do not know the motive of the attackers, yet you stup!!dly gave up their recuperating locations.
Re: Editor-in-chief Of Nigerian Compass Shot by Lawalemi(m): 7:00pm On Nov 07, 2012
He is suffering from the sins he committed during Gbenga Daniel era

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Visit To Enugu Tunnel, Today. Shame!!! / EFCC Arraigns Katsina Permanent Secretary For N2.5m Fertiliser Contract Scam / Sanwo-Olu Says Less than 700,000 people pay taxes in Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.