Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,320 members, 7,819,091 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:04 AM

Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. (21230 Views)

Photo!!! How Many Of You Have Experienced This / Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs / Technical & Brain Teaser Questions Asked During Job Interviews (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by BIGERBOY1: 9:55pm On Nov 08, 2012
Well I have had a couple of interview experience...

1. With a Nigerian bank the head of the division and one of his managers were interviewing me, in the course of the interview the head said to the manager 'mehn this guy is a CFA candidate o, which one r u doing sef', he replied 'i am managing ICAN sir'.. I got the job but spent only 4 months and left.

2. With one of the foreign owned banks in 9ja, I was called a day b4 the interview to fly half way across the country for the interview (how's that for prepation), I had to borrow money for the trip. During the second interview the interviewer said 'ah, why r u not as enthusiastic as in our first meeting, r u hungry?' I replied 'kind of, sir it's Ramadan grin ' I got the job

3. This was my best and worst interview, after a phone interview, I was invited to the company Corp HQ in their home country (they processed my visa and literarily paid for my trip from the first step out and back into my house) only 40 were invited globally. I was so caught up in the moment that I forgot to prepare for the interview. I missed that one cool

4. My next one was in front of a panel of 22 professors and doctors, yes 22. They were more interested at my funny name than my skills. I got that one

5. The next was with a multinational oil coy. By now I had mastered the art of wushu (interview )

All this happened between 2010-2012. So I have resolved to suspend interviews for the next 3 to 5 years. So help me God.

1 Like

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by Jarus(m): 9:56pm On Nov 08, 2012
duality:

sounds like sahara
Na Sahara dey do all these kind effizzy. Their effizy too much.

Well, all the interviews I have attended were conventional, structured ones. From Shell to Total to Seven Energy to Oando.
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by swtdarling(f): 10:02pm On Nov 08, 2012
the HR who interviewed me didn't know what else to ask me.so she just said i should gist her about my boyfriend. grin

7 Likes

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by Jarus(m): 10:03pm On Nov 08, 2012
I won't call it unconventional, but when I entered Atedo Peterside(then MD of IBTC)'s office in 2006 for final interview in 2006, he was on phone discussing Chelsea's match the weekend before. Got the job but didn't take it.
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by Jarus(m): 10:06pm On Nov 08, 2012
I won't call this an interview but a chat, just meeting the COO as a matter of formality having crossed all interview stages. We were busy discussing informal matters. Women like ofofo sha. We completely went off-topic, asking about my mum, my dad, my sisters, what they do etc I got the job sha. That was 2008.

1 Like

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by jjgirljay(f): 10:10pm On Nov 08, 2012
mine was with a car company,i prepared hard for this interveiw,i read every thing about the cars and the company. i got there,was ushered into the office,about 13 people all on a round table(white pple o),my heart began to skip. one of them just ask YOU ARE NIGERIAN,GIVING THE BAD REPUTATION OF YOUR COUNTRY WHY SHOULD WE EMPLOY YOU? I replied employ me because i am human and qualified not because of where i come from. I GOT THE JOB

18 Likes

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by Iykebestbt(m): 10:10pm On Nov 08, 2012
A friend of mine narrate to me how he went about his own interview...it all started as a 10 man pursuit but only a slot was needed...they sat for exam which 8 persons did great...they sat. For the second exam and the number was reduced to 5....after an oral interview,5 of them were still head to head...so they invited them early morning the next day....while they were waiting for another exam or interview,the HR asked them "WITHOUT LOOKING AT UR WRIST WATCH, WAT IS THE NAME OF THE WATCH U ARE PUTTING ON?...everybody's eyes goes clocking!....only a guy got it write

He didn't make it....

1 Like

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by elothaddi(m): 10:14pm On Nov 08, 2012
Invited for a 2nd stage interview of Spring bank (RIP) after scaling thru the first one. On getting to my turn, I sat and faced the panel and the only question the IDIOT asked me was THE CULT I belonged when I was in skool. I was shocked to hear that and tried to explain to him that I was instead a church executive but instead he refused to listen and even bragged that he was a cultist during his time. He walked me out for not agreeing and that was the end for me but God made it possible for me to scale thru another bank test and interview, joined the bank less than 2 weeks after that incident.

5 Likes

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by wawaboy1(m): 10:21pm On Nov 08, 2012
Last to comment
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by lukaino(m): 10:24pm On Nov 08, 2012
Wen given questions to answer, read instructions 4rm it u can read 'write ur name & submit' but i attempted & failed
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by Super1759: 10:28pm On Nov 08, 2012
I remember one interview I went for during my school days( A job to combine my school with).
The interviewer,after looking at me for several seconds,asked " What is centripetal and centrifugal force" ofcourse I know my elementary physics very well.
I told him what I know and even gave example each.
The man said its not true that I just misplaced them. I didn't know when I shouted "choii,oga its not true,I know what am saying!
Everyone turned to me,as if I just committed treason.
I knew av messed up,I was confused what to do( that was my first attempt in my life)I stood up and left.
I got the job though.
The day I was resuming, I met the man,he smiled and called me "the scientist,I love your courage" I was like wowwww!!

2 Likes

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by ariblaze(m): 10:33pm On Nov 08, 2012
elo thaddi: Invited for a 2nd stage interview of Spring bank (RIP) after scaling thru the first one. On getting to my turn, I sat and faced the panel and the only question the IDIOT asked me was THE CULT I belonged when I was in skool. I was shocked to hear that and tried to explain to him that I was instead a church executive but instead he refused to listen and even bragged that he was a cultist during his time. He walked me out for not agreeing and that was the end for me but God made it possible for me to scale thru another bank test and interview, joined the bank less than 2 weeks after that incident.
[quote author=elo thaddi]

the same shit happened to me with FCMB , totally told the guy i wasnt and he kept arguing with me that i was-- dint get the job
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by Nobody: 10:36pm On Nov 08, 2012
elo thaddi: Invited for a 2nd stage interview of Spring bank (RIP) after scaling thru the first one. On getting to my turn, I sat and faced the panel and the only question the IDIOT asked me was THE CULT I belonged when I was in skool. I was shocked to hear that and tried to explain to him that I was instead a church executive but instead he refused to listen and even bragged that he was a cultist during his time. He walked me out for not agreeing and that was the end for me but God made it possible for me to scale thru another bank test and interview, joined the bank less than 2 weeks after that incident.
A lot of Nigerian interviewers are so crazy, they ask stupid random questions. All the online interview tips written by oyibo no dey really work here, infact they fail so well. Funny, all jobs I got in Nigeria were from European or American interviewers.

1 Like

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by dokunbam(m): 10:37pm On Nov 08, 2012
LMAO, WELL.... MINE WAS...
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by funkybaby(f): 10:42pm On Nov 08, 2012
ariblaze: the same poo happened to me with FCMB , totally told the guy i wasnt and he kept arguing with me that i was-- dint get the job

elo thaddi: Invited for a 2nd stage interview of Spring bank (RIP) after scaling thru the first one. On getting to my turn, I sat and faced the panel and the only question the IDIOT [/b]asked me was THE CULT I belonged when I was in skool. I was shocked to hear that and tried to explain to him that I was instead a church executive but instead he refused to listen and even bragged that he was a cultist during his time. [b]He walked me out for not agreeing and that was the end for me but God made it possible for me to scale thru another bank test and interview, joined the bank less than 2 weeks after that incident.

who are these people? shocked shocked
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by Nobody: 10:51pm On Nov 08, 2012
I went for one with FORTIS MFB and he was asking what was my best soup...n how to prepare it.
I was invited for d second one, but I couldn't make it..
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by pendusky(m): 10:56pm On Nov 08, 2012
My first ever interview was at Mobil in Eket and the interviewers wer white men... kiss u needed to listen attentively or u wont get their accent... grin the interview was taken place at a hotel, ther we wer given free meal 'serve ur self' while waiting for ur turn... Then 5 people turn by turn wer called inside a 18seater bus to their main site, guy we wer sharp, we buckle our seat belt (safety matter) as we wer monitord, ther they measure our coverall and safety boots as if u don get d job already, and then one white man tested our practical knwledge, after that we went bk, then gear up for the main oral interview... The two white men here wer friendly... That simple question why do want to work with us is trickish, You need to knw d company mision and vision statements, it helps... Then always use cover letter for ur cv... Smile...and called every1 even d cleaner sir grin
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by patholaw: 11:02pm On Nov 08, 2012
hav heard of stuffs like dis not only banks... I tot it waz a lie oh...now i knw better
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by SweetLola: 11:03pm On Nov 08, 2012
It was a sales job and it was conducted in Xfactor style ...no singing cheesy

We had rounds of interviews and then they'd split us into two groups an done group would get told they were through to the next stage and the others woudl be asked to leave and so on until they selected just 10 people out of 100.

I didn't get selected but it was a very novel and crushing experience

This wasn't in Nigeria btw
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by Carmal90(m): 11:08pm On Nov 08, 2012
Mine was wen i was interviewed by an indian mannd man was so funny to d extent of asking me Dis simplest question,TELL ME MORE ABT URSELF.i was so happy and i got d job
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by sigba(f): 11:13pm On Nov 08, 2012
pendusky: My first ever interview was at Mobil in Eket and the interviewers wer white men... kiss u needed to listen attentively or u wont get their accent... grin the interview was taken place at a hotel, ther we wer given free meal 'serve ur self' while waiting for ur turn... Then 5 people turn by turn wer called inside a 18seater bus to their main site, guy we wer sharp, we buckle our seat belt (safety matter) as we wer monitord, ther they measure our coverall and safety boots as if u don get d job already, and then one white man tested our practical knwledge, after that we went bk, then gear up for the main oral interview... The two white men here wer friendly... That simple question why do want to work with us is trickish, You need to knw d company mision and vision statements, it helps... Then always use cover letter for ur cv... Smile...and called every1 even d cleaner sir grin
Pls i dont understand what u mean by using a cover letter, i'l appreciate if u explain. Thanks.
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by fellowben(m): 11:18pm On Nov 08, 2012
In my c.v I wrote 'playing chess' as my hobby. The interviewer asked me my best defence moves in chess. I told him sicilian defence, he asked me to make my first move, ' assuming we were playing'. I did
and I got the only position in the job advert in a national daily. Resigned after 6 months for a better job(s).

3 Likes

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by Beync(f): 11:21pm On Nov 08, 2012
awww dat was embarrassing. they should have recruited from their cult members instead of embarrasing themselves not you.

3 Likes

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by lockedOut: 11:21pm On Nov 08, 2012
had an interview with an i.t firm on the island first stage was written excercise the second was the oral, the h.r lady started discussing premier league with me, she was an arsenal fan, she recommended me for another position in the coy did the written tests and passed went for the orals again and a different hr this time it was the same chelsea and man utd strategy. I kept wondering if the company subscribes to dstv at work.

2 Likes

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by pendusky(m): 11:33pm On Nov 08, 2012
sigba:
Pls i dont understand what u mean by using a cover letter, i'l appreciate if u explain. Thanks.
A cover letter is not a job application - it's a short and specific letter that should always accompany any resume, folio or any other application documents that you send to a prospective employer...i think its not a new thing but people dnt knw...i can remember when the white men shook their head in agreement when they saw my cover letter during the interview... Jst google cover letter sample...u wil see samples...

1 Like

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by Nobody: 11:50pm On Nov 08, 2012

i think you lost that job cos you were not cool, calm and convincing. Probably shaking and swearing by the bible that you're born again and that you regularly speak in tongues. Shows you'll loose it if you face really challenging times.

6 Likes

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by victorD3: 1:01am On Nov 09, 2012
1) My first interview was rather funny because immediately I noticed I was the only black dude amongst 30 whites I automatically knew I will be among the 12 candidates needed and so it happened.

2) My next interview was in Nigeria and the executive chairman was sleeping towards the final interview and the other 10 members of the panel had to allow him sleep wella before we continued. He was very important at that stage because he was the one to negotiate the salary as the owner of the company. I was to manage the Owerri branch of his company and he asked why I want to work at Owerri and answered " I heard owerri girls are very pretty". I got the job.

3) Another interview was for a state government in the south south region of Nigeria. It was a panel of 20 panelist. When we made our way to the hall and everybody were checking their names on the board since I came rather late I walked in and underlined my name. Other candidates on seeing my name and the foreign degrees attached in bracket started trembling obviously. Infact one of the chickens openly told me that he is wasting his time. On getting to the panel it was structured in the way that everybody for a particular position will face the panel at once. Whenever it was my turn to answer any question I was been addressed as London boy which automatically gave me an edge. We where 5 for that role but I got the Job cheesy

4) Another was with Nigerian Bottling Company as a procurement officer south west were I passed all the online test and oral interviews. On the final day to cross check my credentials the procurement manager who I was to work under told me he can't work with me but prefers the guy that came second because he feels he will do well with the guy. I told him that I am ready to build on the existing platform which he refused. He gave me 60k from his own personal cash which I rejected and left. A girl at the HR that was always calling to inform me of the good news felt so bad and latter told me that its because of their thief thief in procurement that they proffered a less educated and western fellow. They later called me for a lesser position but I refused.

5) I have another interview on 13th Nov in Abuja so wish me luck cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by vislabraye(m): 1:49am On Nov 09, 2012
L'blaque Haven:
What's the answer or what was your response?

I was given a marker to calculate the efficiency ratio on the board. I was speaking some mathematical jargons.

He later asked me if 1000years is 1 day to God, what is 7 days of God. I been wan quote scriptures but I no know which one to quote. I told him 7000 years. Didn't hear from them again.

3 Likes

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by Gracious10: 1:52am On Nov 09, 2012
jjgirljay: mine was with a car company,i prepared hard for this interveiw,i read every thing about the cars and the company. i got there,was ushered into the office,about 13 people all on a round table(white pple o),my heart began to skip. one of them just ask YOU ARE NIGERIAN,GIVING THE BAD REPUTATION OF YOUR COUNTRY WHY SHOULD WE EMPLOY YOU? I replied employ me because i am human and qualified not because of where i come from. I GOT THE JOB

You go Gurl! About time someone told them the truth.
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by ogtavia(m): 1:52am On Nov 09, 2012
funkybaby:

WTF !!!!
which ''top Nigerian owned oil company'' did this? shocked shocked

I for ask oh..do dey pay them in precious stones..wats so special that they have to go through this meaningless routine is success in this routine a gurantee for professional competence..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by vislabraye(m): 2:01am On Nov 09, 2012
Another interview: the candidate gives the interviewer a note. The interviews looks at it and nods his head.
Next thing, the job.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerian Immigration Service Vs Nigerian Customs Service / Should I Quit My Pastoral Job To Be A Transporter? / 4 Steps To Getting An Amazing Job As A Graduate With 3rd Class Or Pass Grade

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.