Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:01 AM

Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. (21228 Views)

Photo!!! How Many Of You Have Experienced This / Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs / Technical & Brain Teaser Questions Asked During Job Interviews (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by jarkata(m): 2:02pm On Nov 10, 2012
Anyi.:

Maintenance engineer that doesn't know the grades of hydraulic oil. Don't know who to blame here. Your school or you. Still undecided.
mr.know all,u want to tell me dat all wot u've being thaught in schl.is still full in ur memory.let me tell u mechanical engineering is a wide course u can't remember all,all these oil have diff.grade nos,is better to remain silent dan to be saying rubbish dat u r not sure of,dat is my style i only say wot iam very sure of.d fact remains dat i've worked on hydaulic machine before yet i can't remember d grade,we have diff.oil grade,just let me know ur field of study i will ask u one simple question,better still if u r an engineer answer dis question is an interview question as well may be i can learn frm u.WHAT IS D DIFFRNT BTW CENTRIFUGAL AND CENTRIPETAL PUMP,HOW CAN U INCREASE D PRESSURE OF A PUMP.answer me mr.know all

4 Likes

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by sigba(f): 3:24pm On Nov 10, 2012
pendusky:
A cover letter is not a job application - it's a short and specific letter that should always accompany any resume, folio or any other application documents that you send to a prospective employer...i think its not a new thing but people dnt knw...i can remember when the white men shook their head in agreement when they saw my cover letter during the interview... Jst google cover letter sample...u wil see samples...
Thanks.
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by Anyi3(m): 12:41pm On Nov 11, 2012
jarkatá: mr.know all,u want to tell me dat all wot u've being thaught in schl.is still full in ur memory.let me tell u mechanical engineering is a wide course u can't remember all,all these oil have diff.grade nos,is better to remain silent dan to be saying rubbish dat u r not sure of,dat is my style i only say wot iam very sure of.d fact remains dat i've worked on hydaulic machine before yet i can't remember d grade,we have diff.oil grade,just let me know ur field of study i will ask u one simple question,better still if u r an engineer answer dis question is an interview question as well may be i can learn frm u.WHAT IS D DIFFRNT BTW CENTRIFUGAL AND CENTRIPETAL PUMP,HOW CAN U INCREASE D PRESSURE OF A PUMP.answer me mr.know all
My friend calm down, no be fight. You could just have said something little about it rather than keep silent. As for your challenge I just graduated from Civil Engr... My convocation's this Dec 7th. You're invited

1 Like

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by Basilona(m): 2:37pm On Nov 11, 2012
s3nn2x: Best ever thread on Nairaland.

Itz a great thread, no doubt. But 'BEST EVER' {scoffz}. Baby stepz bruv
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by Basilona(m): 2:39pm On Nov 11, 2012
Anyi.:

Maintenance engineer that doesn't know the grades of hydraulic oil. Don't know who to blame here. Your school or you. Still undecided.

We can alwayz blame the Oil
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by Ticklishmummy(f): 4:31pm On Nov 11, 2012
sigba:
Pls i dont understand what u mean by using a cover letter, i'l appreciate if u explain. Thanks.

A CV won't be able to give as much information as you'd like a cover letter does the perfect job of providing as much information as you wish to give out,from job experience,skills and competencies to personal attributes,goals,objectives etc.You would usually send it off with your CV to employers and it makes your application stand out and gives you a better chance cos you giving out more relevant information to the employer.

Hope that helps.
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by jpphilips(m): 5:16pm On Nov 11, 2012
virtuoso01: I have never been interviewed and never worked for anyone.

But a friend of mine who worked for a company said that during the interview, the interviewer ask him about his favourite kinds of music.

It was a casual kind of discussion and he was really surprised when he was told that the interview was over.

He got the job.

highly recommended individual i must say.
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by pendusky(m): 5:48pm On Nov 12, 2012
sigba:
Thanks.
My Pleasure
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by jarkata(m): 5:54am On Nov 13, 2012
Anyi.:

My friend calm down, no be fight. You could just have said something little about it rather than keep silent. As for your challenge I just graduated from Civil Engr... My convocation's this Dec 7th. You're invited
No wonder u r civil engineer on paper,u have not even gone for any interview before.mcheeeeeeew!! I con de waste my response on ordinary student dat collect money frm parents and uncle.

1 Like

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by Gemc3(f): 3:20pm On Nov 13, 2012
funkybaby:

WTF !!!!
which ''top Nigerian owned oil company'' did this? shocked shocked

I bet u it's sahara!!!! I have experienced the first two stages. They made me search the whole of lagos for 3 old festac stamps. (Dunno what they needed them for).......broke my leg while at it.
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by Anyi3(m): 4:08pm On Nov 13, 2012
jarkatá: No wonder u r civil engineer on paper,u have not even gone for any interview before.mcheeeeeeew!! I con de waste my response on ordinary student dat collect money frm parents and uncle.
empty words mate grin grin grin grin! Stop derailing this wonderful thread and go read up hydraulic oil. It'd help you grin tongue tongue shocked
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by komek(m): 8:50pm On Nov 15, 2012
k-kesh:
nice thread. thanks to y'all. i'v never gone beyond the aptitude test stage so i'm hoping and praying i get to this stage soon.i need more knowledge on ' how to pass aptitude test skill' thanks
Lol
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by dnas05: 2:45pm On Nov 28, 2012
Hahahahahaha!!!!! Dat is indeed laughable!
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by Pojjar: 3:00pm On Nov 30, 2012
My was so funny. I was ushered into a conference room were i met Group Managing Dir,Head of Finance,Head of mktn & Head of Admin. Wen i start introducin my self GMD ask me dat by two week i wil be celebratin my nxt b/day,i replied yes,he said how i'm i goin to take the panels out,i replied dat by given me job,they al burst to laugh. Dats how we started wit jokes and laugh. Wat an interesting interview but stil waitin 4 dem to call me sha.

2 Likes

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by Nobody: 8:39pm On Nov 30, 2012
In one of the interviews for a top bank, I was asked if a mug is left or right handed? I was just staring at my interviewers, but I got the job.
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by joyblinks(f): 5:29pm On Dec 02, 2012
Am so loving this thread.
A friend told me about an interview that 20 people were shortlisted for. On getting to the company, the whole 20 of them were kept in a room for about 3hrs without anybody coming to attend to them, after a while, some of them began to gist, some turned their chairs to face each other while others kept their legs on their chairs and gisting and laughing. Little did they knw that the management was watching their every move from the CCTV. Only one guy comported himself and neva spoke to anyone... And he was the only one picked among the 20 of them...

1 Like

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by kayphyzee(m): 7:45am On Dec 03, 2012
Went for an interview & the man was asking about my family life. All in a bid to know who my parents are & to know the kinda clients I can bring into the firm. I juz laughed after I left the firm. Nw,I'm working in a better environment.Thnk God
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by WhyAWhy(m): 1:21pm On Dec 04, 2012
joyblinks: Am so loving this thread.
A friend told me about an interview that 20 people were shortlisted for. On getting to the company, the whole 20 of them were kept in a room for about 3hrs without anybody coming to attend to them, after a while, some of them began to gist, some turned their chairs to face each other while others kept their legs on their chairs and gisting and laughing. Little did they knw that the management was watching their every move from the CCTV. Only one guy comported himself and neva spoke to anyone... And he was the only one picked among the 20 of them...

Personally I will not pick the "Only one guy comported himself". For a serious result oriented company, that kind of guy will not be a good team player, customer representative or sound negotiator. I would rather look at people who built good and sound rapport with others they had never known or met in the same hall. The life of a business is in the networks or how well you integrate with other people except the job is to pick a mortuary attendant grin

16 Likes

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by folu500(m): 7:44pm On Dec 04, 2012
WhyAWhy:

Personally I will not pick the "Only one guy comported himself". For a serious result oriented company, that kind of guy will not be a good team player, customer representative or sound negotiator. I would rather look at people who built good and sound rapport with others they had never known or met in the same hall. The life of a business is in the networks or how well you integrate with other people except the job is to pick a mortuary attendant grin

my thoughts exactly hw can u be in a place for over 3hrs and not interact with people there. Dat guy's human relation skill is very poor. Well we dont knw wat d position is for sha.

2 Likes

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by Nobody: 1:16pm On Dec 05, 2012
I friend of mine told me that they went for an interview and after finishing with the Hr and at the MD office each one of them were ask:

What is your Facebook password?

Everyone of them told the MD including my friend except one lady that said her password supposed to be her personal affairs. She got the job!

4 Likes

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by Nobody: 9:33pm On Dec 05, 2012
dnawah: may goodness and mercy follow u o!
please don't be offended o, but from your post, you've gotten very good jobs but you keep changing. Seems you don't last long in your place of employment. Please, this is not an insult. I'm just curious, could you pls shed more light? Thanks.
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by Nobody: 9:37pm On Dec 05, 2012
please don't be offended o, but from your post, you've gotten very good jobs but you keep changing. Seems you don't last long in your place of employment. Please, this is not an insult. I'm just curious, could you pls shed more light? Thanks.
victorD3: 1) My first interview was rather funny because immediately I noticed I was the only black dude amongst 30 whites I automatically knew I will be among the 12 candidates needed and so it happened.

2) My next interview was in Nigeria and the executive chairman was sleeping towards the final interview and the other 10 members of the panel had to allow him sleep wella before we continued. He was very important at that stage because he was the one to negotiate the salary as the owner of the company. I was to manage the Owerri branch of his company and he asked why I want to work at Owerri and answered " I heard owerri girls are very pretty". I got the job.

3) Another interview was for a state government in the south south region of Nigeria. It was a panel of 20 panelist. When we made our way to the hall and everybody were checking their names on the board since I came rather late I walked in and underlined my name. Other candidates on seeing my name and the foreign degrees attached in bracket started trembling obviously. Infact one of the chickens openly told me that he is wasting his time. On getting to the panel it was structured in the way that everybody for a particular position will face the panel at once. Whenever it was my turn to answer any question I was been addressed as London boy which automatically gave me an edge. We where 5 for that role but I got the Job cheesy

4) Another was with Nigerian Bottling Company as a procurement officer south west were I passed all the online test and oral interviews. On the final day to cross check my credentials the procurement manager who I was to work under told me he can't work with me but prefers the guy that came second because he feels he will do well with the guy. I told him that I am ready to build on the existing platform which he refused. He gave me 60k from his own personal cash which I rejected and left. A girl at the HR that was always calling to inform me of the good news felt so bad and latter told me that its because of their thief thief in procurement that they proffered a less educated and western fellow. They later called me for a lesser position but I refused.

5) I have another interview on 13th Nov in Abuja so wish me luck cheesy
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by chyseth(m): 11:40pm On Dec 06, 2012
Anyway, I have worked in just a few places. At the final stage of my UBA Plc
interview, there were only two people in the room, immediately I walked into the room. One of them, immediately ask me' haven't I met you here before?' I quickly answered him no sir. The other man then ask me. What is your surname, I told him. He then called one man that share same surname with me which he said was once a minister of the federal republic of NIgeria, I told him I have not heard such name before. The man was like, are you sure, this is your surname and you don't know the man I just mentioned, I was beginning to be embarrassed. Then they now offered me to sit down for the interview proper.
First question: young what are doing here, you are supposed to be serving (NYSC). I answered him that I will soon be through
Second question: you wrote here that you are a chartered accountant, how come ? I answered him that I did ATS etc etc I got the job anyway but only stayed for one week. I had to leave because their pay package was not ok for me

The place am working now, I went for the interview sick, infant the sickness helped me secure excuse from my office. The greatest which am sure all of us that came for the interview had was trying to understand what the Expatriate was saying.

What helped me was that I try' to pre empt what I thought his questions were. I thank God my intuition never failed me. In fact in between the interview, the country finance director told me that she was the only accountant in the panel that I have to rephrase some of the answers I gave them so that others persons in the panel can understand too. Long and short of the story. Am over one year there and counting.
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by Nobody: 6:13am On Dec 22, 2012
Best thread ever, keep them coming guys!!!!
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by comsoy(m): 11:32am On Dec 22, 2012
Wow! This is very interesting. No go ever leave NL because of this. Experienced guys, more please!
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by slaxzy(m): 10:14pm On Jul 12, 2013
[quote author=dvdon]Nice

I heard this from a friend he said there was this friend of his that works in a top multinational oil company he was playing football when he was called for an interview to report immediately. The guy was so relaxed he went for the interview still sweaty and on his football kits this made other invitees to give him way so he won't stain there suits. When he was called in he said the interviewers all screamed WTF and the asked young man are you here for the interview he replied yes and the net question was " why are you here looking dirty and so unkept" he replied well I was playing football and am going right back to it after this interview. He said there was silence in the room and then a white guy said you know wat go back to your football and report here on monday because you are hired I love your commitment. That was all. Hmmmm
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by Isiterere(m): 10:13pm On Sep 07, 2013
the most educating Thread on NL
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by lobell: 2:15am On Sep 10, 2013
One of my several ones was for Department of Petroleum Resources after two rounds of tests. The arrangement was such that you were called into the secretary's office to wait your turn to be slaughtered after which you left the building without speaking to anyone. The doors (interview room, secretary's office and waiting room) were all in line so you could see the faces of the candidates as they came out. omo...see long faces! everyone before me without exception came out looking extremely very sad.
Anyways, it got to my turn and I walked in, the head interviewer (a lady) was rather grouchy. Soon as I stepped in the door she was like "give him your credentials!" "what did you study?" (chemistry) "what class of degree?" (2:1) "which school?" (I answered. By this time I was standing beside the 'hot seat'). Instantly she calmed down. "sit down" (thank you). She pointed to the first guy on the board to her right and he asked "what is a catalyst?" (speeds up a reaction) "is that all?" (remains unchanged at the end - I was shaking in my seat, cos I was rattled by her behavior and was still processing). Next guy asked "if you had to collect sample in the field, how would you go about it?" (I entered some statistics mode, sample size, composite samples or otherwise, confidence interval, type of sample bottles to use etc)...they were not impressed. The lady now helped out by saying what would I use to collect the sample (I said sample bottles and there were several types; glass, plastic, metal depending on the sample)(they obviously did not hear me the first time because I was talking too much) next person "if you're not working on the sample on the site..." I jumped in (you preserve it also depending on the material, you can keep it on ice, or complex it with a reagent that will protect what you are interested in...O boy I was on fire...this obviously excited the lady because she suddenly shouted "my turn, my turn" Then the interview changed to pidgin English "this question wen I wan ask you ehn, I want make you speak big big grammer....etc etc etc. I tried to get feedback from the lady that came out after me...basically the same questions but she said the woman was too harsh asking her "is that all?" after every answer she gave.
After a couple of months a friend that had access to the Minister of Energy said he saw my name on the list of the people to be appointed and the minister has endorsed. Till today as I'm writing this that letter never comot (this was in 2007)...I was quite naïve then and dint know how to make and use connections.
Anyway now I have a PhD and I teach at one the universities in the country...but I for no mind oyel job sha (still looking for one).

4 Likes

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by gal10(f): 4:20pm On Oct 08, 2013
Damojo: My interview @ HaveSex bank was crazy! Met Aig @ abt 1am on a Sunday morning, nigga was sipping redwine and catchn trips on me! Not being desperate, I just freestyled and told him I was gonna transform his coy, he shook my hand and said 'welcome to havesex bank'
ACCESS bank confirmed

1 Like

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by masagoody(m): 7:18am On Jul 04, 2014
old but interesting thread. its quite obvious that a lot hasn't changed in the job interview ...would like us in the new age of online tests and accessment centres to continue this thread....so we can learn a thing or two.
Experiences please...
There are certain names I expect to see here. if I don't see your name and comment in 24 hours, I will errmmmm.m
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by gentpeace: 11:35am On Jul 04, 2014
Nice thread..
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by masagoody(m): 12:43pm On Jul 04, 2014
gentpeace: Nice thread..
welcome o. do you have any such unconventional experience?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerian Immigration Service Vs Nigerian Customs Service / Should I Quit My Pastoral Job To Be A Transporter? / 4 Steps To Getting An Amazing Job As A Graduate With 3rd Class Or Pass Grade

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.