Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,282 members, 7,811,834 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:40 PM

Achebe's Book Is "Fictitous, Full Of Lies" - Ozodi Thomas Osuji - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Achebe's Book Is "Fictitous, Full Of Lies" - Ozodi Thomas Osuji (28467 Views)

PMB: The Dangers Of One-man-show - Steve Osuji (The Nation) / El-Rufai 's Book Is Full Of Lies - Atiku Abubakar / ‘achebe’s Book Is Replete With Inaccurate Facts, Claims’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achebe's Book Is "Fictitous, Full Of Lies" - Ozodi Thomas Osuji by kaaycee(m): 1:12am On Nov 11, 2012
Please can someone tell us the meaning of OZODIMGBA in english language cool
Re: Achebe's Book Is "Fictitous, Full Of Lies" - Ozodi Thomas Osuji by Nobody: 1:14am On Nov 11, 2012
Ngodigha:
Dirty son of a LovePeddler, you should come here and defend your silly self against Achebe's memoir, idiott.

Stupeed son a baboon, you obviously got nothing sensible to say. I don't expect more from a lobotomised ape like you.
Re: Achebe's Book Is "Fictitous, Full Of Lies" - Ozodi Thomas Osuji by Ngodigha: 1:14am On Nov 11, 2012
marveouz:

Please tell me when Yorubas started wearing hat, singlet and tying wrapper. Cos obviously i can see an Ibo man obsessed with Pa Awolowo that he even decided to dress like him....from every empirical facts yorubas have not been know to tie wrapper the way that boy did in that picture....wear singlet like jobless cows and wear hats like drunken fisher man
Awo in the Warri region, then western Nigeria.
Re: Achebe's Book Is "Fictitous, Full Of Lies" - Ozodi Thomas Osuji by Nobody: 1:15am On Nov 11, 2012
Balkan: You all should not waste your energy on this publicatiopn. The so called Ozodi's mother is from Osun state in the family of late Pa Oluwole Oladimeji.

His mother Titi was an illagitimate wife of De Osuji. The marriage ended in 1965 as De Osuji was not sure if Ozodi was realy his child because he was back in Owerri when Titi gave birth to Ozodi in Lagos.

It is the truth for those who don't know. Pa OsUji is from my village. Ozodi's paternity is yet to be established

I say tell me more!.I can see clearly now the rain is gone.
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
I knew that no full blooded Igbo man would be this stupid.So this man is a by product of a hit and run with a Titilayo or maybe the result of a wayside collision between Titi and Bode since De Osuji was not sure if the thing was his?
Lord have serious mercy
So the said Ozodimgba was born and nurtured by a Lagos hooker?
Tell me more I say
A man of no proper heritage,that explains why he has not visited Nigeria in 40 years
No wonder

what is your village abeg
Re: Achebe's Book Is "Fictitous, Full Of Lies" - Ozodi Thomas Osuji by EkoIle1: 1:15am On Nov 11, 2012
Ngodigha:
Baboon, the old western region was not made up of only yorugbas but Itsekiris, Urhobos, Edos etc.Why are there no brains in those big skulls you have?.

Id.iot. So when you typed your people, you meant Itsekiris, Urhobos, Edos and not Yoruba people?

ibo logic = Shalanga logic...
Re: Achebe's Book Is "Fictitous, Full Of Lies" - Ozodi Thomas Osuji by Nobody: 1:15am On Nov 11, 2012
samkoro:

Christ called hypocrites,hipocrites; fools,fools ;spade a spade. You life must be fcking for calling thje a bible a fcking religious book.

Stop derailing the thread and fckk off if you've got nothing sensible to post. I'm not in a fckking religion section.
Re: Achebe's Book Is "Fictitous, Full Of Lies" - Ozodi Thomas Osuji by Ngodigha: 1:16am On Nov 11, 2012
inufele2:

Stupeed son a baboon, you obviously got nothing sensible to say. I don't expect more from a lobotomised ape like you.
Aszfucked gutter monkey, you have no business here, get lost sucking wart hog
Re: Achebe's Book Is "Fictitous, Full Of Lies" - Ozodi Thomas Osuji by Ngodigha: 1:18am On Nov 11, 2012
Eko Ile:

Id.iot. So when you typed your people, you meant Itsekiris, Urhobos, Edos and not Yoruba people?

ibo logic = Shalanga logic...
ASZ HUMPER, aWO WAS IN CHARGE OF THE OLD WEST COMPRISING MIDWEST. KNOW IT NOW, ANNAL KUNT LICKING Arrow
Re: Achebe's Book Is "Fictitous, Full Of Lies" - Ozodi Thomas Osuji by Josh316(m): 1:18am On Nov 11, 2012
Again the RETARDED Tribalists will come out to display their complete LACK of IQ on this page. Many of them haven't even seen the cover, talk more of reading the book, hence cannot make a valid argument without being insulting or showing a complete sense of critical analysis...

The Man called Osuji has been known to be an opportunistic glory seeker, like an opportunistic infection in an AIDS victim. He has not written ONE book about the Civil war...NOT ONE!!! Even the hated OBJ despite not being a graduate at that time has written his own memoirs of the war. We can choose to insult Achebe from now till eternity, and infact i believe many people here jerk off on insulting Igbos, but the truth remains, it is HIS side of the story, his OWN book. If there is a contrary view, WRITE YOUR OWN BOOK OR SHUT UP! I'm beginning to see why we won't develop as a nation when those who we believe are meant to be our future leaders are behaving like animals... Its not about Igbos or Yorubas or Hausas, damn! it's about a war that took lives and many decisions on both sides were wrong! Treaties were made and broken! It's about ensuring that come what may, it doesn't repeat itself again. Osuji can present a grandiose article ridiculing what he can NEVER become but all of us here on Nairaland should learn to respect opinions and criticize constructively and stop this useless retarded tribal war.
The Moderators in their bid to raise traffic seem to encourage this foolishness and i don't blame them... they might well be as retarded too

2 Likes

Re: Achebe's Book Is "Fictitous, Full Of Lies" - Ozodi Thomas Osuji by Nobody: 1:20am On Nov 11, 2012
Ngodigha:
Aszfucked gutter monkey, you have no business here, get lost sucking wart hog

Stupeed son of a baboon! Go to where you belong with your relative below.

Re: Achebe's Book Is "Fictitous, Full Of Lies" - Ozodi Thomas Osuji by Ngodigha: 1:22am On Nov 11, 2012
inufele2:

Stupeed son of a baboon! Go to where you belong with your relative below.
You belong to the same nursing home housing your hero Adekunle below

Re: Achebe's Book Is "Fictitous, Full Of Lies" - Ozodi Thomas Osuji by Nobody: 1:23am On Nov 11, 2012
Ngodigha:
You belong to the same nursing home housing your hero Adekunle below

grin grin person a nursing home on the road? Try harder next time grin the cage is where you belong.
Re: Achebe's Book Is "Fictitous, Full Of Lies" - Ozodi Thomas Osuji by Ngodigha: 1:27am On Nov 11, 2012
inufele2:

grin grin person a nursing home on the road? Try harder next time grin the cage is where you belong.
BUTT MONKEY, SO someone in a nursing home doesn't come out on the road at all. Get a life asz biatch.
Re: Achebe's Book Is "Fictitous, Full Of Lies" - Ozodi Thomas Osuji by webcalculator(m): 1:32am On Nov 11, 2012
"every adversity carries with it the seed of an equivalent benefit" napoleon hill

nothing keeps me positive except the fact that my dad built all his wealth from 20 pounds.
i bet you that that war is rudimentary to igbos development
Re: Achebe's Book Is "Fictitous, Full Of Lies" - Ozodi Thomas Osuji by biafranbaby(m): 1:34am On Nov 11, 2012
I have existential, but not clinical depression. At age nine, I concluded that life in body is worthless, meaningless and purposeless. I see myself as just another animal crawling between heaven and earth, not knowing what the hell I am living for. I see my body as food for worms hence have no delusion that it is important. I see other people in a similar manner. - Ozodi Osuji http://magazine.biafranigeriaworld.com/ozodi-osuji.html
Re: Achebe's Book Is "Fictitous, Full Of Lies" - Ozodi Thomas Osuji by Nobody: 1:34am On Nov 11, 2012
Ngodigha:
BUTT MONKEY, SO someone in a nursing home doesn't come out on the road at all. Get a life asz biatch.

Try harder next time person baboon don't have a day release they live and die in their cage.
Re: Achebe's Book Is "Fictitous, Full Of Lies" - Ozodi Thomas Osuji by marveouz: 1:36am On Nov 11, 2012
Typical Nigerians......Forget the message but blame the messenger...if the message does not fit your egocentric interest.
I have always copied this and got no answers....i have done so again and i hope my Igbo brothers can answer the questions and stop calling names. Obviously....i can see child soldiers in the picture posted here...if Awolowo should be charged for crime against Humanity....what should Ojukwu be charged for?

Here is the post i copied...i hope i get some Answers.

Bros God bless I never know there are still some in the house that reason alongside with me.
And I hasked these question severally and no one has be able to give me a correct answer and i'm asking again as a Igbo guy :
1. Is it a concensus of entire Igbo that Ojukwu should go to war If yes is the answer please tell me where do they do the meeting and when did they do such refredum that say Yeah its war time lets all go for it.
2. Please my fellow kinsmean is going to civil war the answer to Aburi Accord that was broken
3. Was it Yoruba or Hausa that send Ojukwu to war??
4. How are we sure this man called Ojukwu was actually fighting for the Igbo?
5. How come do Biafra think in their skull that Fed Govt. of then will be feeding them while they took arms against same govt pls where in this world has anyone see such a silly govt that feed its enermy?
6. When Ojukwu started the war why cant he plan well, keep enough food for the Biafra or the Igbo?
7. Food where to be flown to the East but this same Ojukwu blockade the move in fear of food poising please any man with his right senses where has the Fed Govt or Awolowo committed crime in this situation?
8. Please I asked and asked again is there any record anywhere that shows a single soul in Ojukwu family died in this struggle? My own granparent lost five boys I mean five men went to this war and never return that has left me with no uncle till date.
9. Ojukwu went to war and he lost please what is Yoruba or Huasa crime in this

Do we realized that so many up till today never know the cause of that civil war they are crying about so funny indeed fighting over what you dont even know what caused it in the first place. Before the demised of my grandparent so funny enough both of them could not tell me what in actual sense caused the war all they knew was that war broke out and that was all.
Bros Fellow Kinsmen if you like call me names I dont give a Bleep the Jazz Ojukwu used to blindfold so many will not catch me as a matter of fact I suppose to charge him to court because it was his soldier that came to drafted all my suppose to be uncle to Biafra and they arre gone for life till date and not Yoruba or Awolowo or Hausa or Gowon it was Ojukwu boys who came to took them away. And no matter what names any one calls me to hell with it and damn it but the fact is I will never HATE anyone who has not done me any evil or wrong me. If Awolowo did wrong or whatever is not my business I have no dealing with Awolowo and I will not transfer anger of Awolowo on entire Yoruba people far from it so if anyone want to die because of Biafra go ahead and die 1966 is not what I should die for in 2012 I have moved on I dont live in shadow or walk around with grudges and hatred that is babaric in 21st century i'm a progresive Nigeria not a tribal or war monger or a looser crier. Biko I have to go abeg. A word is enough for the wise.

2 Likes

Re: Achebe's Book Is "Fictitous, Full Of Lies" - Ozodi Thomas Osuji by biafranbaby(m): 1:38am On Nov 11, 2012
In my mind, I changed reality and made it be whatever I wanted it to be. - Ozodi Osuji

1 Like

Re: Achebe's Book Is "Fictitous, Full Of Lies" - Ozodi Thomas Osuji by tomakint: 1:42am On Nov 11, 2012
inufele2:

You now see the reason I can't engage you. Even if the truth is painted in white u still will not see it. Osuji has been confirmed to b a virulent critic of Achebe and if you now take the words of a psychopath to be your 'gospel' I am afraid I cant help. Achebe's book has stated the noble truth you love to hate, that;'there was a FG-orchestrated GENOCIDE'

2 Likes

Re: Achebe's Book Is "Fictitous, Full Of Lies" - Ozodi Thomas Osuji by Ngodigha: 1:42am On Nov 11, 2012
inufele2:

Try harder next time person baboon don't have a day release they live and die in their cage.
ASZHOLE SHIIT FACE, go back to your jungle as you are not winning, annus sniffer.
Re: Achebe's Book Is "Fictitous, Full Of Lies" - Ozodi Thomas Osuji by marveouz: 1:44am On Nov 11, 2012
Wednesday, 24 October 2012 00:00 By Dr. Tony Nwaezeigwe

I HAVE not yet read the controversial personal history of Chinua Achebe, and as a professional historian, I don’t really think it is ethical to speak on a work one has not read. However, I have endeavoured to read Noo Saro-Wiwa’s review of the book posted on The Guardian of London on-line. I have also read the numerous comments on the book with specific reference to the roles of Chief Obafemi Awolowo in the civil war.

I could recall that this subject of Achebe’s attack on Chief Obafemi Awolowo was the Dr. Frederick Fasehun’s welcome address to me during my meeting with him on Thursday, October 11, 2012, at his Century Hotel, Okota, to discuss the subject of Igbo Presidency in 2015. Still on the same subject matter, while en route Nsukka by Ifesinachi luxury bus, just few kilometers to Ore, I received a call from Ghana, this time by the renowned Igbo literary critic and mathematician-turned historian, Professor Chinweizu, imploring me to comment on the controversy.

Over-flogged and irrelevant subject

I have, therefore, decided to comment on a subject I strongly feel is both over-flogged and irrelevant at this point of our history. However, to the professional historian, no literary work is an end to itself, not even the one coming from such literary icon as Professor Chinua Achebe. Every work of literary art is, therefore, to the professional historian, a means to an end, a tool and source-material for the professional historian in pursuit of the end. That end is definitely the solution to the intractable political socio-economic, and allied problems of mankind.

Achebe no doubt, like other writers and commentators has done his bit of contribution towards that end. However, whether Achebe’s contribution is adjudged to be positive or negative in orientation, it remains a matter literary conjecture, since every writer is entitled to his personal opinion based on his exclusive perception of a given subject matter. In this regard, the title of the book is self-explanatory. One does not, therefore, understand why the personal view of an individual will constitute a whole lot of an enveloping controversy. Or, could be because such a comment is coming out of the mouth of a “Professor Chinua Achebe”? Just like a Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon, or a Mungo Park discovering the source of River Niger. I ask this question because the subject matter is no longer new, as it has over the years formed one of tools against possible Igbo-Yoruba common front against a perceived common enemy.

The fact remains, however, that the issue of Chief Awolowo’s anti-Igbo roles during the civil war is highly over-bloated with irreconcilable body of evidence. This issue was fully explained in my October 1998 Guest Lecture to the Department of

Political Science, University of Lagos, titled: “Ethnicity and the Politics of Igbo-Yoruba Relations: case of a celebration of defeat?”

In the first instance, the Igbo first lost the golden opportunity to have Chief Awolowo fully on their side when, neither General Ironsi nor Col. Ojukwu failed to see the wisdom in releasing the former from prison custody in Calabar. Chief Obafemi Awolowo had to wait for the six or seven months before he could be released and granted amnesty by General Yakubu Gowon, who subsequently elevated him.

There was no doubt that the Yoruba under the leadership of Chief Awolowo were ready to secede along with the Igbo, had circumstances on ground not prevented the scheme. Fundamental in that circumstance was the presence of the Northern troops in Ibadan, Abeokuta and Lagos. Since the Yoruba at that time lacked the needed military presence in the army to confront the occupying forces, there was little they could have done. The Yoruba leaders had actually demanded for the withdrawal of the Federal troops from their territory to enable them carry out their scheme of secession. It was actually on account of that demand that the Federal authorities announced on Thursday, May 25, 1967 that the Northern troops would be withdrawn from the West Region.

However, that withdrawal eventually meant the withdrawal of troops at Ibadan and Abeokuta for the reinforcement of the Lagos garrison as well as for the strategic

cities of Jebba and Ilorin. Even the acting Military Governor of the Western Region at that tme, Col. Adebayo, in his subtle protest on May 26, described the presence of Northern troops at Ikeja as “this outstanding problem,” and pleaded with his people to exercise patience since he was discussing the matter with General Gowon.

It was under this charged political atmosphere that Gowon announced the

following day, May 27, the creation of the 12-State structure. That action eventually led to the fission of Yoruba minds towards secession, particularly since the indigenes of the new Lagos State saw their new status as a freedom from the domineering image of Chief Awolowo. The subsequent elevation of Chief Obafemi Awolowo to number two position was to erase the idea of a Yoruba secession.

It could also be recalled that on March 3, 1967, the Biafran leader, Col. Odumegwu-Ojukwu, then still acting on the capacity of a Regional Governor, affirmed this evident incapacitation of the West by the occupying Northern troops. Odumegwu-Ojukwu had said that both Governors of the two Southern Regions of West and Midwest were in full support of his position against the North, but could not do much because of the presence of Northern troops in their territories.

Chief Awolowo’s inability to carry out his threat of secession if the East seceded could not therefore be interpreted as an act of betrayal. Beyond the matter of sentiments, objective judgment agrees that there can never be secession without a back-up military force. Comparatively, the Yoruba had thrown a much stronger loyal support to the leadership of Nnamdi Azikiwe than the Igbo ever exhibited toward Chief Obafemi Awolowo. Thus in speaking of Awolowo’s roles in the civil war, objectivity demands that reference be made also of such Yoruba-born pro-Igbo partisans of the war, like Professor Wole Soyinka and those who chose to fight and die for Biafra like Colonels Banjo and Ademoyega.

Gruesome experiences

There was no doubt that Professor Chinua Achebe, from the accounts of his civil war experiences was a privileged Biafran citizen who only watched but never suffered the gruesome experiences of hunger, diseases and homelessness during the war. If the father of African literature actually wants to be objective concerning the conduct of the civil war, then he should first focus his literary search-light at the internal mechanisms of the conduct of the war on the side of Biafra.

In other words, if any blame were to be apportioned for the defeat of Biafra and the suffering of the Igbo masses, it cannot be targeted at external forces such as Awolowo, but at the internal elite who masterminded the failed civil war policies of the leader, like Achebe himself. One would want Professor Achebe to explain to

Nigerians in general and the Igbo in particular, what happened to the millions in foreign currency raised abroad in support of Biafra but which never got to the shores of Biafra? How much of such money were actually raised and who were those Igbo leaders of Biafra entrusted with the duty of bringing the fund to Biafra?

What also happened to the millions given to such people as Dr. K.O. Mbadiwe and Mojekwu, a relative of Odumegwu-Ojukwu for the purpose of purchasing arms and ammunition to prosecute the war? Did they not cart away with the money and never returned to Biafra until after the defeat? Where again could one place those who sold relief materials meant for the poor and suffering citizens of Biafra, when it was meant to be distributed free? Were all these atrocities against the Igbo equally masterminded by Chief Obafemi Awolowo?

Viewed critically, even the literary icon himself, acting on the capacity of Biafra’s Minister of Communication, could not have supported any policy that would have given the Federal Government undue advantage over Biafra. Even the Federal Government’s policy of an all-round twenty pounds exchange cannot be faulted by any economic theory given the undetermined value of the Biafran currency. It is important for Professor Achebe to know that the Igbo of today fully understand who their actual friends and foes are in the present Federation.

Abandoned property saga

The 1966 pogroms against the Igbo were Hausa-Fulani schemes and not those of the Yoruba. Many Igbo lived unmolested in Yorubaland throughout the war. The coup d’etat that toppled General Aguiyi-Ironsi was a Northern act and not a single Yoruba soldier was involved. The abandoned property saga did not take place in Yorubaland.

Above all, although there could exist a situation of mutual rivalries between the Igbo and Yoruba, such competitions never for once degenerated into a state of anti-Igbo riots, with countless loss of lives and property. The Igbo thus know who their friends are, and they know that the Yoruba are not their foe. In conclusion, it is important to let Professor Achebe understand one evident fact: if any Igbo leader could have one-quarter of Chief Obafemi Awolowo’s vision for the Yoruba, then the Igbo are saved the pains of recurrent political idiocy.

• Dr. Nwaezeigwe is Senior Research Fellow, Institute of African Studies, University of Nigeria, Nsukka.
http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=102559:in-defence-of-awolowo-matters-arising-from-achebes-civil-war-memoir&catid=73:policy-a-politics&Itemid=607
(Quote) (Report) 37 Likes (Like)

1 Like

Re: Achebe's Book Is "Fictitous, Full Of Lies" - Ozodi Thomas Osuji by biafranbaby(m): 1:45am On Nov 11, 2012
marveouz: Typical Nigerians......Forget the message but blame the messenger...if the message does not fit your egocentric interest.
I have always copied this and got no answers....i have done so again and i hope my Igbo brothers can answer the questions and stop calling names. Obviously....i can see child soldiers in the picture posted here...if Awolowo should be charged for crime against Humanity....what should Ojukwu be charged for?

Bros God bless I never know there are still some in the house that reason alongside with me.
And I hasked these question severally and no one has be able to give me a correct answer and i'm asking again as a Igbo guy :
1. Is it a concensus of entire Igbo that Ojukwu should go to war If yes is the answer please tell me where do they do the meeting and when did they do such refredum that say Yeah its war time lets all go for it.
2. Please my fellow kinsmean is going to civil war the answer to Aburi Accord that was broken
5. How come do Biafra think in their skull that Fed Govt. of then will be feeding them while they took arms against same govt pls where in this world has anyone see such a silly govt that feed its enermy?
6. When Ojukwu started the war why cant he plan well, keep enough food for the Biafra or the Igbo?
7. Food where to be flown to the East but this same Ojukwu blockade the move in fear of food poising please any man with his right senses where has the Fed Govt or Awolowo committed crime in this situation?
8. Please I asked and asked again is there any record anywhere that shows a single soul in Ojukwu family died in this struggle? My own granparent lost five boys I mean five men went to this war and never return that has left me with no uncle till date.

Do we realized that so many up till today never know the cause of that civil war they are crying about so funny indeed fighting over what you dont even know what caused it in the first place. Before the demised of my grandparent so funny enough both of them could not tell me what in actual sense caused the war all they knew was that war broke out and that was all.
Bros Fellow Kinsmen if you like call me names I dont give a Bleep the Jazz Ojukwu used to blindfold so many will not catch me as a matter of fact I suppose to charge him to court because it was his soldier that came to drafted all my suppose to be uncle to Biafra and they arre gone for life till date and not Yoruba or Awolowo or Hausa or Gowon it was Ojukwu boys who came to took them away. And no matter what names any one calls me to hell with it and damn it but the fact is I will never HATE anyone who has not done me any evil or wrong me. If Awolowo did wrong or whatever is not my business I have no dealing with Awolowo and I will not transfer anger of Awolowo on entire Yoruba people far from it so if anyone want to die because of Biafra go ahead and die 1966 is not what I should die for in 2012 I have moved on I dont live in shadow or walk around with grudges and hatred that is babaric in 21st century i'm a progresive Nigeria not a tribal or war monger or a looser crier. Biko I have to go abeg. A word is enough for the wise.

You are beyond pathetic. You are one useless brainwashed fool.
Go eat more amala and ewedu with efo riro. Olodo

1 Like

Re: Achebe's Book Is "Fictitous, Full Of Lies" - Ozodi Thomas Osuji by Ngodigha: 1:46am On Nov 11, 2012
marveouz: Wednesday, 24 October 2012 00:00 By Dr. Tony Nwaezeigwe

I HAVE not yet read the controversial personal history of Chinua Achebe, and as a professional historian, I don’t really think it is ethical to speak on a work one has not read. However, I have endeavoured to read Noo Saro-Wiwa’s review of the book posted on The Guardian of London on-line. I have also read the numerous comments on the book with specific reference to the roles of Chief Obafemi Awolowo in the civil war.

I could recall that this subject of Achebe’s attack on Chief Obafemi Awolowo was the Dr. Frederick Fasehun’s welcome address to me during my meeting with him on Thursday, October 11, 2012, at his Century Hotel, Okota, to discuss the subject of Igbo Presidency in 2015. Still on the same subject matter, while en route Nsukka by Ifesinachi luxury bus, just few kilometers to Ore, I received a call from Ghana, this time by the renowned Igbo literary critic and mathematician-turned historian, Professor Chinweizu, imploring me to comment on the controversy.

Over-flogged and irrelevant subject

I have, therefore, decided to comment on a subject I strongly feel is both over-flogged and irrelevant at this point of our history. However, to the professional historian, no literary work is an end to itself, not even the one coming from such literary icon as Professor Chinua Achebe. Every work of literary art is, therefore, to the professional historian, a means to an end, a tool and source-material for the professional historian in pursuit of the end. That end is definitely the solution to the intractable political socio-economic, and allied problems of mankind.

Achebe no doubt, like other writers and commentators has done his bit of contribution towards that end. However, whether Achebe’s contribution is adjudged to be positive or negative in orientation, it remains a matter literary conjecture, since every writer is entitled to his personal opinion based on his exclusive perception of a given subject matter. In this regard, the title of the book is self-explanatory. One does not, therefore, understand why the personal view of an individual will constitute a whole lot of an enveloping controversy. Or, could be because such a comment is coming out of the mouth of a “Professor Chinua Achebe”? Just like a Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon, or a Mungo Park discovering the source of River Niger. I ask this question because the subject matter is no longer new, as it has over the years formed one of tools against possible Igbo-Yoruba common front against a perceived common enemy.

The fact remains, however, that the issue of Chief Awolowo’s anti-Igbo roles during the civil war is highly over-bloated with irreconcilable body of evidence. This issue was fully explained in my October 1998 Guest Lecture to the Department of

Political Science, University of Lagos, titled: “Ethnicity and the Politics of Igbo-Yoruba Relations: case of a celebration of defeat?”

In the first instance, the Igbo first lost the golden opportunity to have Chief Awolowo fully on their side when, neither General Ironsi nor Col. Ojukwu failed to see the wisdom in releasing the former from prison custody in Calabar. Chief Obafemi Awolowo had to wait for the six or seven months before he could be released and granted amnesty by General Yakubu Gowon, who subsequently elevated him.

There was no doubt that the Yoruba under the leadership of Chief Awolowo were ready to secede along with the Igbo, had circumstances on ground not prevented the scheme. Fundamental in that circumstance was the presence of the Northern troops in Ibadan, Abeokuta and Lagos. Since the Yoruba at that time lacked the needed military presence in the army to confront the occupying forces, there was little they could have done. The Yoruba leaders had actually demanded for the withdrawal of the Federal troops from their territory to enable them carry out their scheme of secession. It was actually on account of that demand that the Federal authorities announced on Thursday, May 25, 1967 that the Northern troops would be withdrawn from the West Region.

However, that withdrawal eventually meant the withdrawal of troops at Ibadan and Abeokuta for the reinforcement of the Lagos garrison as well as for the strategic

cities of Jebba and Ilorin. Even the acting Military Governor of the Western Region at that tme, Col. Adebayo, in his subtle protest on May 26, described the presence of Northern troops at Ikeja as “this outstanding problem,” and pleaded with his people to exercise patience since he was discussing the matter with General Gowon.

It was under this charged political atmosphere that Gowon announced the

following day, May 27, the creation of the 12-State structure. That action eventually led to the fission of Yoruba minds towards secession, particularly since the indigenes of the new Lagos State saw their new status as a freedom from the domineering image of Chief Awolowo. The subsequent elevation of Chief Obafemi Awolowo to number two position was to erase the idea of a Yoruba secession.

It could also be recalled that on March 3, 1967, the Biafran leader, Col. Odumegwu-Ojukwu, then still acting on the capacity of a Regional Governor, affirmed this evident incapacitation of the West by the occupying Northern troops. Odumegwu-Ojukwu had said that both Governors of the two Southern Regions of West and Midwest were in full support of his position against the North, but could not do much because of the presence of Northern troops in their territories.

Chief Awolowo’s inability to carry out his threat of secession if the East seceded could not therefore be interpreted as an act of betrayal. Beyond the matter of sentiments, objective judgment agrees that there can never be secession without a back-up military force. Comparatively, the Yoruba had thrown a much stronger loyal support to the leadership of Nnamdi Azikiwe than the Igbo ever exhibited toward Chief Obafemi Awolowo. Thus in speaking of Awolowo’s roles in the civil war, objectivity demands that reference be made also of such Yoruba-born pro-Igbo partisans of the war, like Professor Wole Soyinka and those who chose to fight and die for Biafra like Colonels Banjo and Ademoyega.

Gruesome experiences

There was no doubt that Professor Chinua Achebe, from the accounts of his civil war experiences was a privileged Biafran citizen who only watched but never suffered the gruesome experiences of hunger, diseases and homelessness during the war. If the father of African literature actually wants to be objective concerning the conduct of the civil war, then he should first focus his literary search-light at the internal mechanisms of the conduct of the war on the side of Biafra.

In other words, if any blame were to be apportioned for the defeat of Biafra and the suffering of the Igbo masses, it cannot be targeted at external forces such as Awolowo, but at the internal elite who masterminded the failed civil war policies of the leader, like Achebe himself. One would want Professor Achebe to explain to

Nigerians in general and the Igbo in particular, what happened to the millions in foreign currency raised abroad in support of Biafra but which never got to the shores of Biafra? How much of such money were actually raised and who were those Igbo leaders of Biafra entrusted with the duty of bringing the fund to Biafra?

What also happened to the millions given to such people as Dr. K.O. Mbadiwe and Mojekwu, a relative of Odumegwu-Ojukwu for the purpose of purchasing arms and ammunition to prosecute the war? Did they not cart away with the money and never returned to Biafra until after the defeat? Where again could one place those who sold relief materials meant for the poor and suffering citizens of Biafra, when it was meant to be distributed free? Were all these atrocities against the Igbo equally masterminded by Chief Obafemi Awolowo?

Viewed critically, even the literary icon himself, acting on the capacity of Biafra’s Minister of Communication, could not have supported any policy that would have given the Federal Government undue advantage over Biafra. Even the Federal Government’s policy of an all-round twenty pounds exchange cannot be faulted by any economic theory given the undetermined value of the Biafran currency. It is important for Professor Achebe to know that the Igbo of today fully understand who their actual friends and foes are in the present Federation.

Abandoned property saga

The 1966 pogroms against the Igbo were Hausa-Fulani schemes and not those of the Yoruba. Many Igbo lived unmolested in Yorubaland throughout the war. The coup d’etat that toppled General Aguiyi-Ironsi was a Northern act and not a single Yoruba soldier was involved. The abandoned property saga did not take place in Yorubaland.

Above all, although there could exist a situation of mutual rivalries between the Igbo and Yoruba, such competitions never for once degenerated into a state of anti-Igbo riots, with countless loss of lives and property. The Igbo thus know who their friends are, and they know that the Yoruba are not their foe. In conclusion, it is important to let Professor Achebe understand one evident fact: if any Igbo leader could have one-quarter of Chief Obafemi Awolowo’s vision for the Yoruba, then the Igbo are saved the pains of recurrent political idiocy.

• Dr. Nwaezeigwe is Senior Research Fellow, Institute of African Studies, University of Nigeria, Nsukka.
http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=102559:in-defence-of-awolowo-matters-arising-from-achebes-civil-war-memoir&catid=73:policy-a-politics&Itemid=607
(Quote) (Report) 37 Likes (Like)
ASZ LICKING SHITT ARSSE, IT'S TOO LATE TO POST THAT JUNK AS IT HAS ALREADY BEEN TRASHED HERE, ASZ DONKEY.

1 Like

Re: Achebe's Book Is "Fictitous, Full Of Lies" - Ozodi Thomas Osuji by webcalculator(m): 1:47am On Nov 11, 2012
marveouz: Typical Nigerians......Forget the message but blame the messenger...if the message does not fit your egocentric interest.

yu have been commenting here as a yaroba dude. stop deceiving yourself, you ain't igbo n will never be?

2 Likes

Re: Achebe's Book Is "Fictitous, Full Of Lies" - Ozodi Thomas Osuji by Nobody: 1:47am On Nov 11, 2012
[size=18pt]The real Thomas Ozodi and the source of his anger,he was rejected by his "father" who claimed his real father was a Yoruba man named Taiwo,he was ostracized and unloved[/size]

--- On Thu, 9/18/08, ONUOHA Ikenna <konkerajack@...> wrote:
Subject: [TalkNigeria] ozodi OSUJI's BIOLOGICAL FATHER's a Youruba man
To: TalkNigeria@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, September 18, 2008, 8:04 AM

Folks
Thomas Osuji's biological father is a yoruba man named Taiwo.
A couple of months ago a nephew (my senior brother's first son, who graduated from UNN sometimes last year and was still jobless) told me, it'd be a great idea if I invested in a couple of buildings. He worked out a quotation and I transferred the fund to him. As a start, he built an architecturally MARVELLOUS 3 storey building in Enugu. Transformed it into what they call "self contained" students hostel.
He thought it'd be "cool" if I was around as the candidates for the tenancy were selected. As I had private business to settle with some families in Asaba, I accepted the invitation.
To summarize an interesting story: As I was looking at the prospective candidates' detailed forms (my nephew had required that), I was struck by a young lady's form with "Umuohiagu" Imo State as "village" and "state" of origin. I thought I'd heard that village's name somewhere and somehow. Much as I tried I couldn't place it. So I kept the form by the side.
A couple of days later, I uninterestingly asked my nephew, if he knew where Umuohiagu was in Imo state. No, he never heard of that village. Why does that name ring a distant bell in my mind and I can't still pin it down. He phoned the girl as I requested. Umuohiagwu was in Ngor Okpalar came the answer. Still the desert on my mind so I let it lie. A couple of days later I was driving back AGAIN to Asaba when it hit me.
It dawned on me. I clenched my fist. Umuohiagwu, Ngor okpala, of course, thomas osuji the internet CREEP, it all fits. I unconsciously reached for my phone. Got the girl's number from my nephew. Fixed a rendez-vous. I had to verify some information I'd gleaned on naijapolitics, ozodi osuji's ejaculatory playground.
The next weekend, I was back in ENUGU. Met this stunningly pretty and well-mannered 25 year old girl. Evelyn is her name. (For privacy sake I will keep her family's name off the net.)
After the introductory niceties, we stared at each other for what looked like an eternity. I thought: «Lead me on with that innocent stare, young lady." A couple of seconds later, I caught myself drowning in those deep clear eyes of hers. I got a hold of myself and shrugged off that nirvanesque sensation descending over me.
I dashed in. "My cards on the table, young lady. I'm happily married. No more "away" matches. That has cost me 1 marriage already. I just want to talk." I said in a free flow of words while voluptuously caressing my wedding ring. She seemed rather surprised. Silent question marks popped up in her hypnotic eyes. I guess she didn't get me right or thought that was a stupid thing to say. I drew a half circle in the air with my left hand indicating she should ignore what I had just said.
Are you really from Umuohiagu ? I queried.
Well, yes but from a much smaller village attached to Umuohiagu for administrative purposes.
Do you know an individual who goes by the name ozodi Osuji ?. NO. But there's an Osuji family in Umuohiagu . She knows them well, maybe too well. (Nke oma, nke oma) She clarified.
How is that ? I asked surprised. A former secondary school boyfriend of hers, now a trader in Lagos is from that extended family and bears the family name, Osuji.

Are they OSU or Umeh ? I ventured. That regrettably wiped the smile off her beautiful face. A little frown gave an odd contortion on her still smooth facial structure.
"I'm sorry I can't answer that. Besides you don't know me. I could be one, she said. There was a little lull and she added loosening the frown on her face, "but I can assure you I'm not. I just think in this age and time it shouldn't matter anymore."
I was taken aback. Wow ! I said to myself. "An intellectual to crown her exceptional beauty, I didn't expect that, an atomic mix up if you ask me. I like that though but would henceforth have to tread carefully with her.
Biko ! chefuo ajwujwu a ! I pleaded, accompanying my mea-culpa with 3 little taps on her fine hand. For the next hour or so, I deliberately steered the conversation away from my main motive till she was relaxed and laughing out at any meaningless statement I could dish out.
Then I got focused again and went : "That human being's Christian name is "thomas".
Yes of course, Thomas, Thomas Osuji, she has heard a lot about him and seen some photos. Old black and white pics. She doesn't know him personally. All she can recall from the pics is an awkward, fragile looking kid. A permanently frightened adolescent with a sad and pained expressions in his eyes that made everybody uncomfortable. A lost kid, a weakling, a coward looking young man with dreamy-out-of- this-world kind of stare. He had no friends in the village, not even with his age mates. Nobody wanted him as a friend. Nobody felt comfortable enough in his presence.

The "brothers", cousins, nephews had hoped in vain, he could help them to America. From all information that filtered back home, he too was living very miserably over there to be able to even contemplate helping anybody here. He couldn't help himself over there in the USA, how could he have helped anybody here? She quizzed. "He had never ever sent a dime home". She added.
"Common chichi" She sneered raising her voice for the first time, slapping her thigh with her palm, obviously not making any effort to mask her contempt for ozodi thomas osuji. She also blurted the expression. " Ita aja na America." (Eating sands in America). Referring to ozodi osuji material poverty in the USA.
I thought: "If only she knew of his mental, intellectual and spiritual poverties, she'd poke seriously. But I kept that to myself.
Her former boyfriend from osuji's family had told her a lot about his "dede" Thomas. (Osuji)
I quipped in: You know he didn't make it home when his father died. I think he didn't have the means as he was "chewing sand in the USA" as you had rightly stated.
She stared straight at me, raising her eyes and hissed a chuckling noise. A noise common with over confident nigerian women. So you really don't know him? Then why are we talking about him ? She asked.
"I unfortunately read one or 2 internet outings from him. His mind's like a filthy sewage and every now and then it leaks so seriously, it indisposes a lot of people." But it isn't that important really. I re-assured her.
She continued: "Well, maybe he had no means to come home when his "father" died. But that's not the REAL REASON he didn't and shouldn't have made it home then. "Actually" NOBODY WANTED or EXPECTED him to come home because the man who'd "left" wasn't his BIOLOGICAL father. It was and is an open secret in and around umioghiogu village.
I stared suspiciously at her but she wasn't smiling anymore, she was dead serious now.
I went: Did that Thomas know about it. ? Yes, of course. [size=18pt]A story had it he had once overheard his "legal" father and mother quarrelling. His "legal" or "fake" father (as she put it) had screamed at the mum, "take this your "youruba thing" back to your "Taiwo", shameless woman, ashawo !! And often it was even more acute: "Yoruba bastard" he often did scream at creepy, taciturn young "Thomas" when carried away by anger[/size].

Somehow it seems little "thomas" was more angry with his "legal but fake father" than with his amoral mother. His mother justified her action by accusing his "fake father" of neglect, of not not a man enough and of being a workaholic.
Rephrasing Evelyn: Thomas Osuji's BIOLOGICAL father is a yoruba man named "Taiwo".And this poor yoruba don Juan (a truck driver for precision) was thomas osuji's legal father's best friend.
So basically, "thomas" never knew and never met his poor quasi-illiterate yoruba biological father but knows his name and has always been too painfully aware of his existence. His "legal" father never LOVED him. Never treated him as a son but as a bastard. From this, young mentally unstable thomas suffered a lot. And young thomas never ever forgave his "legal" father.
And in the village in those days, the kids were cruel with young thomas osuji. He was the quintessential "victim" kid. They reminded him at the slightest turn of events that he was a bastard and worst a yoruba one. That was enough for these kids to feel "superior" to him and ostracized him radically...
I and this breathtakingly pretty young lady Evelyn went on and on ! Every time she smiled or laughed, one gets the feeling some intense rays of sunshine are piercing through the dull window curtains of my nephew's immense but pompously decorated office and filling the whole space up.
Then she threw in another BOMB. Folks, think about the explosion a "daisy cutter" bomb this time around. That got me scotched on my sit. But I can't post that now. That's too mighty an accusation or should I say a "revelation" to take lightly. I'll wait till I've gotten some additional information to back it up. Could take a month or two. I would rather you guys hold on your breath on for now.

Ikenna ONUOHA
Back from Enugu.
Enugu State.
Naija.

It all makes perfect sense now
The man has a questionable Igbo heritage ,his own father did not accept him as his son and named his father as Taiwo
Case closed.
Re: Achebe's Book Is "Fictitous, Full Of Lies" - Ozodi Thomas Osuji by Ngodigha: 1:48am On Nov 11, 2012
webcalculator:

yu have been commenting here as a yaroba dude. stop deceiving yourself, you ain't igbo n will never be?
Don't mind the fool.
Re: Achebe's Book Is "Fictitous, Full Of Lies" - Ozodi Thomas Osuji by marveouz: 1:51am On Nov 11, 2012
webcalculator:

i Never said am Igbo
Re: Achebe's Book Is "Fictitous, Full Of Lies" - Ozodi Thomas Osuji by biafranbaby(m): 1:53am On Nov 11, 2012
marveouz:

i Never said am Igbo

Yes you did:

marveouz:

Bros Fellow Kinsmen if you like call me names I dont give a Bleep the Jazz Ojukwu used to blindfold so many will not catch me as a matter of fact I suppose to charge him to court because it was his soldier that came to drafted all my suppose to be uncle to Biafra and they arre gone for life till date and not Yoruba or Awolowo or Hausa or Gowon it was Ojukwu boys who came to took them away.

1 Like

Re: Achebe's Book Is "Fictitous, Full Of Lies" - Ozodi Thomas Osuji by marveouz: 1:55am On Nov 11, 2012
biafranbaby:

You are beyond pathetic. You are one useless brainwashed fool.
Go eat more amala and ewedu with efo riro. Olodo

Typical....."proud and arrogant; they see them as feeling superior to other people".
Re: Achebe's Book Is "Fictitous, Full Of Lies" - Ozodi Thomas Osuji by marveouz: 2:12am On Nov 11, 2012
biafranbaby:

Yes you did:

Read well...Blind fool
Re: Achebe's Book Is "Fictitous, Full Of Lies" - Ozodi Thomas Osuji by Ogonimilitant(m): 2:12am On Nov 11, 2012
Baby mama:

It all makes perfect sense now
The man has a questionable Igbo heritage ,his own father did not accept him as his son and named his father as Taiwo
Case closed.

Thanks, this is exactly the situation in my village. Ozodi is actually yoruba. He faced a lot of humliation that was actually why he could not stay in our Village so he fled to the US

Am claiming Ozodi now as no body seem to accept him. Laugh one kill me
Re: Achebe's Book Is "Fictitous, Full Of Lies" - Ozodi Thomas Osuji by marveouz: 2:12am On Nov 11, 2012

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (17) (Reply)

Port Harcourt Soot In Pictures / Ademola Adeleke And His Supporters Storm Osun PDP Secretariat (Photos) / Edo: APC Weighs Options, Fears PDP Takeover

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 180
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.