Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,599 members, 7,816,488 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:52 AM

Credibilty Of The Ribadu Report! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Credibilty Of The Ribadu Report! (1213 Views)

Presidency Intensifies Efforts To Discredit Ribadu Report. / Ribadu Report: Sack, Prosecute Oil Minister — Labour, SNG, Others / Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Credibilty Of The Ribadu Report! by Idokojimmy: 10:16am On Nov 12, 2012
The Ribadu report appears to be the trending issues on both print and electronic media. While many analysts posit that the report was inconclusive, leaving many issues unattended to, others maintain that the report must be implemented. The question is, if the chairman of the committee, Nuhu Ribadu states categorically that:

“Due to the time frame of the assignment, some of the data used could not be independently verified and the task force recommends that the government should conduct such necessary verifications and reconciliations.”
Should the govt impliment the report without verifying the data used, as recommended by Ribadu?

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/11/ribadu-report-cttee-did-not-verify-some-data/
Re: Credibilty Of The Ribadu Report! by werepeLeri: 10:18am On Nov 12, 2012
LOL. You want to incur the wrath of dem dem dem dem and that of wegba? LOL. ACN stalwarts.
Re: Credibilty Of The Ribadu Report! by KingSolomonI: 10:28am On Nov 12, 2012
So the question is why the remaining part of the report were not verified before submission and did they ask for extra time to verify those parts and were rejected by the government? there is a fishy business going on about this report....
Re: Credibilty Of The Ribadu Report! by Deleahmed: 10:35am On Nov 12, 2012
Then no reason at all to blame the federal government for its present position on Ribadu's report cos they av to thread carefully so as not to indict the innocent since Ribadu has spelled it out that some of the data collected in the course of the report could not be verified.
Re: Credibilty Of The Ribadu Report! by mamikky: 10:41am On Nov 12, 2012
If the reports have some gray areas impeding its implementation..... the federal government should recalled the committee to finetune these gray areas and then revisit the comprehensively finetuned report for sanitizaton of the oil sector.... in this regard, the populace and oppositions alike will concur to FG's sincerity.
Re: Credibilty Of The Ribadu Report! by Femzy24: 11:08am On Nov 12, 2012
all we need is sanity in the petroleum sector, if the report is inconclusive, then Ribadu shud be ask to complete it cos he seems to have the zeal and urge to do the job, but the report should be implemented..and all offenders punished, not to arraign them in court and grant them bail, like in the case of Tukur's son and accomplices

1 Like

Re: Credibilty Of The Ribadu Report! by Stallion77(f): 11:12am On Nov 12, 2012
Re: Credibilty Of The Ribadu Report! by Stallion77(f): 11:15am On Nov 12, 2012
If the report was ready according to the post on that link in my name, then why would they say there was no time to verify the report... was Ribadu and his cohort thinking of embarrassing the government by leaking the report before the person that commissioned the committee had the opportunity to see it? i dont get!
Re: Credibilty Of The Ribadu Report! by bubadaniel13: 11:16am On Nov 12, 2012
Why is Ribadu speaking from both sides of his mouth?after displaying confidence and and submitting the PSTF reports,it then means that Steve Oransanye was right to say that there are grey areas..I just hope they will sort themselves out so that we can have something credible for the Executive to work on and sanitize the system...
Re: Credibilty Of The Ribadu Report! by MurphyT1: 11:23am On Nov 12, 2012
this is just not good right now for us as Nigerians, all we need is petroleum products, and the govt shud do something abt it...if Ribadu's report is wot will sanitize the sector, then it shud be used..we r tired of the drama, i just pray the FG shud do smthg fast...Ribadu showed an high degree of sense of purpose during the submission, unlike d likes of Orosanye...d report shud be implemented
Re: Credibilty Of The Ribadu Report! by Idokojimmy: 11:27am On Nov 12, 2012
Ribadu's honest and humble submission deserves commendation. First, Ribadu is aware that some informations used to draft the report are hearsay, some not independently verified like he rightly said, given the time frame. What Ribadu didn't do was asking for additional time to enable him do a thorough work. Instead, he retasked the govt to investigate the data used.
Although this is a right move, as innocent people would have been punished unjustly, the call for full implementation is deficient on both front. If the chairman of the committee recommends that FG should look into the report, then it's implementation without investigation may indict, and victimize innocent people.
Govt needs time to reconcile differences, address gray areas, and investigate data that are not detailed.
GEJ set up the committee with good intentions, he will impliment it when the report comes out complete
Re: Credibilty Of The Ribadu Report! by HammedSodiqq: 11:37am On Nov 12, 2012
Politicizing this report isn't the right thing to do. GEJ deserves commendation first and foremost for setting up such committee voluntarily, and making a chief political rival and one time EFCC chairman the head of the committee. if Ribadu has recommended that govt should first look into the report because there are probable lapses, then implementation of the report shouldn't be the issue now. What people should be calling for is commencement of the recommended investigation. As far as Ribadu is concern, the content of the report is yet to be certified factual, accurate, and true. Before we condemn govt let's be objective in our analysis.

1 Like

Re: Credibilty Of The Ribadu Report! by Pk001(m): 11:38am On Nov 12, 2012
At times am baffled by the way Ribadu speaks.

He clearly told the press that both reports submitted in august that leaked and the one submitted in November are the same.
Careful look at the reports shows that they are different. Infact some paragraphs containing some figures were completely missing.

The terms of reference for the commitee clearly stated that it is a fact finding committee that is expected to submit its report monthly, on how to get the maximum revenue from the petroleum industry. Why did he say this is the final report?

If the terms given to the committee was to verify and reconcile data why is he pushing back the work to government? Is it for them to set up another committee?

Also where is the automated system for harmonizing and collecting revenue from the different groups in the petroleum industry?

I discredit this report because it is inconclusive and full of flaws, unless Ribadu goes back to complete the work.
Re: Credibilty Of The Ribadu Report! by takedat(m): 11:56am On Nov 12, 2012
The committee was not made up of Ribadu alone but has eminent personalities like Agbakoba, Ighodalo and others, so we should stop centralising it on Ribadu alone. That the task force added a clause that government should verify and reconcile some figures does not make the report inconclusive. They only added the clause because some corrupt government agencies such as NNPC, DPR who are enmeshed in corrupt practises did not assist the committee with accurate information as well as the multinational oil companies. To buttress this point we should cast our minds back to recent probes of the oil and gas sector such as the House of Reps were the data given by CBN does not tally with those of NNPC and the Ministry of Finance and vice versa. So trying to balance the books of these institutions is highly impossible because of the corrupt and porous system we operate in Nigeria. The only advisable thing which the committee did was to recommend that the government since it has all the powers to get the information by itself.
Rather than concentrating on key issues such as the ever growing crude oil theft, stopping the NNPC from making illegal deductions from the federation account, to stop NNPC from converting of its dollar earnings to Naira and so on, the government is busy discrediting the whole report through Okupe. Whose interest is the government protecting, IOC's, corrupt government officials, past presidents, themselves or Nigerians?
Re: Credibilty Of The Ribadu Report! by FrankC3: 12:14pm On Nov 12, 2012
take dat: The committee was not made up of Ribadu alone but has eminent personalities like Agbakoba, Ighodalo and others, so we should stop centralising it on Ribadu alone. That the task force added a clause that government should verify and reconcile some figures does not make the report inconclusive. They only added the clause because some corrupt government agencies such as NNPC, DPR who are enmeshed in corrupt practises did not give the committee accurate information as well as the multinational oil companies. To buttress this point we should cast our minds back to recent probes of the oil and gas sector such as the House of Reps were the data given by CBN does not tally with those of NNPC and the Ministry of Finance and vice versa. So trying to balance the books of these institutions is highly impossible because of the corrupt and porous system we operate in Nigeria. The only advisable thing which the committee did was to advice the government since it has all the powers to get the information by itself.
Rather than concentrating on key issues such as the ever growing crude oil theft, stopping the NNPC from making illegal deductions from the federation account, to stop NNPC from converting of its dollar earnings to Naira and so on, the government is busy discrediting the whole report through Okupe. Whose interest is the government protecting, IOC's, corrupt government officials or Nigerians?

Where did you get this from? You people are sounding more desperate as the hour passes by...
Re: Credibilty Of The Ribadu Report! by takedat(m): 12:55pm On Nov 12, 2012
Frank-C:

Where did you get this from? You people are sounding more desperate as the hour passes by...
You people should stop this habit of condemning those who try to criticise actions of the government. I have the right to question government policies and I don't depend on any politician unlike some of you.
Ribadu himself confirmed that the committee encountered serious problems while trying to recover government debts from Multi Nationals like Addax petroleum and co. Will you deny that you didn't know the data available from NNPC cannot be reconciled with that of CBN or Ministry of Finance. We were all privy to such information during the House of Rep probe panel where government agencies gave conflicting figures. Abeg don't patronise me with your sycophancy
Re: Credibilty Of The Ribadu Report! by werepeLeri: 2:13pm On Nov 12, 2012
Simple question. Where did you get that from... See atack. People body dey hot for nothing.

1 Like

Re: Credibilty Of The Ribadu Report! by Joeadamu86: 2:34pm On Nov 12, 2012
Nobody is saying that Ribadu is not an upright man,but come to think of it if GEJ doesn't want to sanitize the system he would have even chosen Ribadu,let's stop all this blame game and channel all efforts towards the prosecution of oil thieves while grey areas in the Ribadu's report are corrected for sanity in the sector.
Re: Credibilty Of The Ribadu Report! by badlucky: 5:17pm On Nov 12, 2012
This is serious
Re: Credibilty Of The Ribadu Report! by PrettyRita(f): 9:11am On Nov 13, 2012
Those who think Ribadu report can be hijacked to heat up the polity have failed. GEJ is committed to transforming the oil sector and no amount of sponsorsored protest by indicted subsidy scammer and Dino Melaye can stop the ongoing revolution. The transformation agenda is a moving train, it will not stop untill it gets to its destination.
Re: Credibilty Of The Ribadu Report! by FrankC3: 9:53am On Nov 13, 2012
take dat: You people should stop this habit of condemning those who try to criticise actions of the government. I have the right to question government policies and I don't depend on any politician unlike some of you.
Ribadu himself confirmed that the committee encountered serious problems while trying to recover government debts from Multi Nationals like Addax petroleum and co. Will you deny that you didn't know the data available from NNPC cannot be reconciled with that of CBN or Ministry of Finance. We were all privy to such information during the House of Rep probe panel where government agencies gave conflicting figures. Abeg don't patronise me with your sycophancy
I only asked for proof and you are writing an epistle. I am not saying that you are wrong, I asked for a proof that you are saying the truth, a link, even to your favorite sahara reporters.
You criticize government? You actually don't do that. You attack the GEJ led Federal government. If you are really after 'criticizing' government, show me a thread where you have ever strongly criticized ACN governors or your own state governor or even your local government chairmen, or are they not government in your estimation? Or they are saints and do no wrong?
Re: Credibilty Of The Ribadu Report! by lukaino(m): 10:11am On Nov 13, 2012
Seriously i am beginning to suspect deliberate sabotage in all these probes. Consider the following:
1. Power probe- Committee members got rubbished(Elumelu)
2. Subsidy probe- Committee members got rubbished(Farouk Lawan)
3. Capital Market probe- Committee members got rubbished(Herman Hembe)
4. Oil sector probe- Committee report Got rubbished by(Steve Oronsanye & Otti
looks like every probe is destined to die a natural death since it seems everyone will one way or the other be indicted??
When and how will we get out of this mess?
Re: Credibilty Of The Ribadu Report! by takedat(m): 11:07am On Nov 13, 2012
Frank-C:

I only asked for proof and you are writing an epistle. I am not saying that you are wrong, I asked for a proof that you are saying the truth, a link, even to your favorite sahara reporters.
You criticize government? You actually don't do that. You attack the GEJ led Federal government. If you are really after 'criticizing' government, show me a thread where you have ever strongly criticized ACN governors or your own state governor or even your local government chairmen, or are they not government in your estimation? Or they are saints and do no wrong?
Me with you no dey quarrel. Since you know that my earler submission was right why are you now asking me for a proof. Its obvious you haven't read the whole report but takes what Okupe tells you, to clear your doubt I'll advice you to read Page 30 of the Report.
How would you know if I criticise others or not since your are only fixated on threads where GEJ is hailed or criticised. There are all avian of a plumage!
Re: Credibilty Of The Ribadu Report! by Dpeacemaker101: 11:32am On Nov 13, 2012
GEJ is doing his possible best to sanitize this oil sector, but some hoodlums are really trying to thwart his efforts because of what they stand to gain. The report must be implemented, Nuhu is not a PDP member for us to be saying its a party thing. The president is trying to use the unity government to move this country forward, and we should all support him.
Re: Credibilty Of The Ribadu Report! by Noraokon: 11:34am On Nov 13, 2012
the truth need to be told.appointing Ribadu (a member of the opposition) to head an independent committee is enough reason that GEJ is commited in fighting corruption. no doubt, Ribadu has been proven, integrity wise.but the rational behind his submission of an incomplete and unconcluded report makes me believe that there is more to be known.
Re: Credibilty Of The Ribadu Report! by Bukkyade: 11:43am On Nov 13, 2012
Can people stop talking and writing trash in the name of criticism, if you want to criticize please do that constructively and quit blabbing about things you don't know. GEJ is doing his best to see that this subsidy thing is sorted out, he still went as far as making the opposition the chairman of the committee to avoid a corrupt report, so all we would wait for is the implementation of this report..
Re: Credibilty Of The Ribadu Report! by Israelmossaic: 11:56am On Nov 13, 2012
Implimenting that report in a hurry against the investigation Ribadu recommended may drag us backward. What is worth doing is worth doing well. This report must be handled technically. GEJ deserves commendation in the first place.
Re: Credibilty Of The Ribadu Report! by takedat(m): 12:31pm On Nov 13, 2012
Nora okon: the truth need to be told.appointing Ribadu (a member of the opposition) to head an independent committee is enough reason that GEJ is commited in fighting corruption. no doubt, Ribadu has been proven, integrity wise.but the rational behind his submission of an incomplete and unconcluded report makes me believe that there is more to be known.
So appointing Ribadu is enough reason for a President to justify his drive against graft? Didn't IBB appoint men of immense character like Tai Solarin, Wole Soyinka and Humprey Nwosu only to bungle their efforts? People who haven't taken a glimpse at the report are here lamenting that a report is incomplete just because Okupe said so.
The clause in the report states that the committee couldn't independently verify some data and not all data and he listed those areas. The report also stated that the un verified data was received from stakeholders because of time constraint. Another page states that some IOC's failed to honour their invitation and when Ribadu called in the EFCC to try extract information from them, government officials(Otti and Orosanye) said he was being "harsh" . So who is the hypocrite here? Should Ribadu just muddle up figures which he couldn't independently verify? Don't you think he did the appropriate by coming out clean to Nigerians?
Re: Credibilty Of The Ribadu Report! by lukaino(m): 12:47pm On Nov 13, 2012
Bukkyade: Can people stop talking and writing trash in the name of criticism, if you want to criticize please do that constructively and quit blabbing about things you don't know. GEJ is doing his best to see that this subsidy thing is sorted out, he still went as far as making the opposition the chairman of the committee to avoid a corrupt report, so all we would wait for is the implementation of this report..

Why will GEJ give Oronsanye and Otti Jobs in NNPC when there were still members of the committee probing the oil industry in which NNPC is a major player??
Re: Credibilty Of The Ribadu Report! by Gbawe: 1:06pm On Nov 13, 2012
take dat: So appointing Ribadu is enough reason for a President that lacks the political will is enough justification for his drive against graft? Didn't IBB appoint men of immense character like Tai Solarin, Wole Soyinka and Humprey Nwosu only to bungle their efforts? People who haven't taken a glimpse at the report are here lamenting that a report is incomplete just because Okupe said so.

My guy, you have tried but you waste your time with some characters here. Me and you know GEJ is hideously corrupt. This is why he has never taken many other report seriously and it is why many avenues of grafts remain open today when they could be closed straightaway if that is what this government truly wants.

After two years of GEJ as President, why does Nigeria remain the only major oil producer still selling its oil through traders thereby perpetuating avenues of graft? Is that situation , i.e selling through traders, an act of law that it cannot be changed simply through a directive from GEJ to his Petroleum Minister? Can any of the sycophants answer that? Can they tell us why a 'clean' President , when he can change things immediately, endures with processes that facilitate theft and corruption? Those are the sort of issues a nation of serious and politically sophisticated people will be looking at rather than wasting time maligning Ribadu. We say we want change yet many fail blatantly to accept that GEJ , just like others before him, is frustrating even the most basic changes that may transform Nigeria drastically. He is in fact "more of the same".

After a while, one has to ignore those who continue to show a fondness for deceiving themselves and others. Have you noticed that not a single one of these dishonest folks have commented on how it is wrong for Oransaye and Otti to have taken up NNPC role after becoming members of the Ribadu Committee. You won't change the minds of some regardless of how many times you show examples that demonstrate GEJ's lack of sincerity. Let them keep seeing "fresh air" while Nigerians continue to transform into a more savage form of man because of unchecked corruption and misrule.
Re: Credibilty Of The Ribadu Report! by takedat(m): 1:24pm On Nov 13, 2012
@ Gbawe, the committee itself was set up for grandstanding. Ribadu's committee did not discover anything strange which is not known to the government. NEITI acknowledged that the report followed the trend of previous reports such as theirs and KPMG's that are with the government. Why hasn't he acted on those one?
The President is well aware of all the mismanagement in the oil and gas industry, at least he has appointed three GMD's to NNPC in less than four years and every GMD reports to him directly. The president just like past leaders are accomplice to all that is bad in NNPC.
Why is the president still battling with crude oil theft? Are the oil thieves ghost? And yet the country loses at least 250000barrels to these oil thieves daily!
Re: Credibilty Of The Ribadu Report! by taharqa: 3:44pm On Nov 13, 2012
take dat: The committee was not made up of Ribadu alone but has eminent personalities like Agbakoba, Ighodalo and others, so we should stop centralising it on Ribadu alone. That the task force added a clause that government should verify and reconcile some figures does not make the report inconclusive. They only added the clause because some corrupt government agencies such as NNPC, DPR who are enmeshed in corrupt practises did not assist the committee with accurate information as well as the multinational oil companies. To buttress this point we should cast our minds back to recent probes of the oil and gas sector such as the House of Reps were the data given by CBN does not tally with those of NNPC and the Ministry of Finance and vice versa. So trying to balance the books of these institutions is highly impossible because of the corrupt and porous system we operate in Nigeria. The only advisable thing which the committee did was to recommend that the government since it has all the powers to get the information by itself.
Rather than concentrating on key issues such as the ever growing crude oil theft, stopping the NNPC from making illegal deductions from the federation account, to stop NNPC from converting of its dollar earnings to Naira and so on, the government is busy discrediting the whole report through Okupe. Whose interest is the government protecting, IOC's, corrupt government officials, past presidents, themselves or Nigerians?
Plz @take dat, for God's sake stop inputting things that arent there just cos u want to push yr viewpoint or agenda. The committee neva said that sm of the data/info they usd were inconclusive/unverified cos sm govt agencies stalld d findings, but they stated unambigiously in dat 'Disclaimer' letter that they didnt hv enough time to do their work (which is curious cos in leaking d report they gave d impression that d report was 'final', which was also frankly d DECEPTIVE word Ribadu usd when submitting d report which we now know to be false). This report that is even not saying more than we already knew: the oil industry has been inefficient, wasteful and corrupt for decades, and making Recommendations which are mostly already in d critical PIB bill presently in d NA, has been shamelessly POLITICIZE; and it is such a shame that many ppl hv playd alone.... By d way, talking about Agbakoba plz go to Punchonline to read an article about his views on d committee he servd in and what he thinks of its current politisatn; also in d same Punch, try reading anoda article by d ACN on how they are changing their original tone on d report and really realising that the Propaganda they initially pushd is failing. Anoda article yterday on The Nation also showd that d report actuali exoneratd NNPC from under-reporting crude oil sales in at least recent yrs (even though they are oda infractures d NNPC has been involvd in). I will post these 3 articles once I get a hold of my laptop..... The point really is that if we left d silly urge to politicize d report and focusd on real issues like finding out what really went wrong with d sector for decades and then trying to find a SOLUTION to it, we may hv been doing d sensible thing; we may start d Solution making by resolving to push d PIB bill tru d NA this time around

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos-ibadan: The Generation Unborn Will Remain Grateful To Jonathan – Mimiko / Commission On Standing Instrcution With Gtbank / Photos: Jonathan, Others Receives Bill Gates At State House, Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.