Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,546 members, 7,958,677 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 08:30 PM

Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback (12459 Views)

Privatisation Of PHCN A Fraud, Electricity Workers Tell Buhari / Move To Impeach Fayose Suffers Setback / Buhari’s Eligibility Suit Suffers Setback, Adjourned To April 22 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by FreeGlobe(f): 8:25am On Nov 15, 2012
mosun_ade: Mr Gbawe.

Go to government and get a first hand information as to why they did what they did. Stop relying on journalists and biased publications to make a point. Haba. Your mumu don too much for this NairaLand. Your points can not be heard on NairaLand, choose a better media.

You are a biased old man. Get your kids to take over from you. LOL.

Hey. Hope you get paid cool for all these efforts. Nice way to make money.

Don't abuse me o, because as an old man, you should know that abuses goes back to the abuser.

GEJ is corrupt, na your money he steal? Tinubu, Fashola, which one is not corrupt. Abeg, take sand paper wipe that your lieing mouth.
lol, exactly what I was saying, we know GEJ is corrupt but somsbody like @Gbawe preaching that to us who supports Tinubu with the last drop of his blood is akin to boko haram preaching against killings and bloodshed
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Nobody: 8:26am On Nov 15, 2012
mosun_ade: Mr Gbawe.

Go to government and get a first hand information as to why they did what they did. Stop relying on journalists and biased publications to make a point. Haba. Your mumu don too much for this NairaLand. Your points can not be heard on NairaLand, choose a better media.

You are a biased old man. Get your kids to take over from you. LOL.

Hey. Hope you get paid cool for all these efforts. Nice way to make money.

Don't abuse me o, because as an old man, you should know that abuses goes back to the abuser.

GEJ is corrupt, na your money he steal? Tinubu, Fashola, which one is not corrupt. Abeg, take sand paper wipe that your lieing mouth.
If you are truly a lady, then take my kiss. You murdered him, literary speaking.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by FreeGlobe(f): 8:35am On Nov 15, 2012
what does @Gbawe have to say about this
www.nairaland.com/1103400/tinubu-ejects-lga-headquarters-takes
or are we gonna pretend we didnt see it.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Gbawe: 8:36am On Nov 15, 2012
lastpage: BTW: I cant imagine that people like Dangote, Tinubu, OBJ, Andy Ubah, Emeka Ofor, and some other "established" looters/Criminals in this country would suddenly "set-up" a Power Company once they see that their is a "killing" to be made! ...and Voila, they are "Power Giants/Coys"! grin grin

That is what 'part 2' of this drama will turn into. What people do not understand when they defend the Government blindly is that no one is saying corruption should stop totally. That is impossible. What we should condemn is the sort of corruption that ruins the future of our children. Go around Africa today and you will note corruption operating everywhere to some degree. Yet it is Nigerian leaders that practice their corruption with brazen evil. some of us have not arrived where we are today without many examples shaping our thinking.

For example, Vodafone, one of the World's best telecom company, wanted to buy NITEL. OBJ, the king of oligarchic enrichment/empowerment and cronyism, undermined the deal. Vodafone left.
Vodafone wanted to buy GHANATELECOMS. Some corrupt cats got 'paid' yet deal still went ahead and Vodafone is now Ghana's national carrier and everyone lived happily ever after.

Manitoba is doing its thing in Kenya yet now bounced by the government that had ratified the company's position as the unopposed choice and went on, through the BPE, to sign a contract to that effect. Now a government that abused due process flagrantly via issuing many, many marketers licences to fraudsters and crooks is using the very same due process as an excuse. Only in Nigeria. Let some keep fooling themselves. Astute observers know what is going on here and how things will end.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by hyelhira: 8:42am On Nov 15, 2012
lagerwhenindoubt:

This is idealistic however the reality is no nation has ever grown to its pinnacle without foreign investment. Nigeria lacks the mentality, lacks the experience and political will to start such a simple project from Start-Finish without experienced foreigners. Show me one sustainable infrastructure project today that is wholly Nigerian - just one

My house grin grin grin ROTFL
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Nobody: 9:00am On Nov 15, 2012
Nothing works unde GEJ,he makes no impact,does nothing,he is just occupying space there,he is not charismatic,nor highly intelligent,he is not decisive nor proactive,he does nothing,every one is just running the country as it deems fit,the army are a law unto themselves,the senate look bored and not interested,a bunch of middle aged men who come sit down everyday and talk,how many bills have passed?who knows,if they agree with the president all the time is there any need for a senate?or if he agrees with them all the time,is there any need for a president?the ministers are a diffrent breed,what do they do,how have they contributed to thr gdp.Nigeria is suspended in a limbo,like the vacant look on GEJ's face

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Pergrace: 9:03am On Nov 15, 2012
Billyonaire:
Stop your lamentation and do not make this personal cos of your health. FEDs via BPE signed the contract and faulted it there after, whats hurting you, are you paid by a Manitoba stakeholder to cry online ? FEDs signed the contract and was applauded, they have a better choice now, and the next choice will be more applauded than Manitoba, take a chill pill. You cant do s/h/i/t!

Bros....Gbawe is saying the truth.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by londoner: 9:09am On Nov 15, 2012
As much as it disappoints me to say this......I smell a rat here...seriously. I dont think Nigeria is ready to improve yet.......our leaders are not sincere and they will not move with the country;s best interest at heart.

This is making us look like a place not to be taken seriously.
Gosh......Nigeria is such a frsutrating place.....bad news every day. Obne step forward (or so we think) followed by three steps backwards. If there was a justified reason for this GEJ should have let us know with the news that the contract was scrapped.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Maxymilliano(m): 9:10am On Nov 15, 2012
Gbawe:

Manitoba is doing its thing in Kenya yet now bounced by the government that had ratified the company's position as the unopposed choice and went on, through the BPE, to sign a contract to that effect. Now a government that abused due process flagrantly via issuing many, many marketers licences to fraudsters and crooks is using the very same due process as an excuse. Only in Nigeria. Let some keep fooling themselves. Astute observers know what is going on here and how things will end.

So, who are the astute observers and who are those fooling themselves if i may ask? Anyway, I don't really have anything against your reservations on some of the activities of the federal government, but i just find it funny that you could believe the speculations as contained in the original article you posted but find it hard to believe the government version of what really transpired.

In the words of Abati, Abati said the contract was awarded by BPE and not NCP [/b]as Nigerians were made to believe.

He explained that BPE awarded the contract contrary to the provisions of the Public Procurement Act, 2007.

Abati said, “[b]The BPE has no power to approve a management contract, according to the provision of Section 16 sub section 4 of the 2007 Public Procurement Act. That section says that the BPE must obtain a certificate of no objection from the Bureau of Public Procurement.

“Another section of the Act says that certain contracts must be approved by the Federal Executive Council. The management contract in question is $23.6m, which is above the approved threshold of BPE
, so why should this be difficult to understand

And to confirm that the government is not interested in throwing the baby away with the water bath, Punch went ahead with this "a source told one of our correspondents that the Canadian firm would still be allowed to apply to manage the critical power infrastructure if it so desired.

And to show the seriousness of the federal government in ensuring accountability and transparency just as you preached with your signature, "Abati said, “Yes, the President has cancelled the contract because it was not done in accordance with the Public Procurement Act. President Goodluck Jonathan has directed that a new process for the selection of the management contractor should begin immediately and should be completed in 30 days in order not to cause unnecessary panic.

“The President also directed that the new process should conform to international best practices.”

My brother, though i agree with you that we need to hold our leaders accountable, cynicism and skepticism has never guaranteed accountability.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by mosunade(f): 9:12am On Nov 15, 2012
londoner: As much as it disappoints me to say this......I smell a rat here...seriously. I dont think Nigeria is ready to improve yet.......our leaders are not sincere and they will not move with the country;s best interest at heart.

This is making us look like a place not to be taken seriously.
Gosh......Nigeria is such a frsutrating place.....bad news every day. Obne step forward (or so we think) followed by three steps backwards. If there was a justified reason for this GEJ should have let us know with the news that the contract was scrapped.

You smell a rat because they say a contract that doesnt follow due process should be put up for bid again? with the same Manitoba coy free to participate again? why not wait till the 30 days before you start this lamentation of sodom?

He told you the reason but you are crying still that you smell a rat? Who is roasting the rat?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by mosunade(f): 9:16am On Nov 15, 2012
Mr Gbawe, the man who always goes to the newspapers to cull articles and want us to believe everything in the articles but will not want us believe the government side of things. Three days ago, he was shouting himself hoarse about government discrediting the Ribadu report, now he is up in arms again accusing GEJ of corruption because a contract was scrapped and put up again for bid.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by phemieojelabi: 9:17am On Nov 15, 2012
Billyonaire:
I am tempted to believe you require mental salvation. You derail from core subject of threads when your folly is opened up on Nairaland. You are one fellow that needs structural mental adjustment. If BPE under GEJ signed a contract with Manitoba after years of lobbying from OBJ administration, hibernation by Yaradua Administration and now terminated by GEJ when realized that due processes were not followed, who are you to know better than the Power Ministry and the Presidential Think-Tank. You are just a monika on Nairaland and nothing more than a barking dog. You are a paid agents of the surrogates of the Manitoba, and we will not let sell-outs like you handover our collective destinies into the hands of Western Imperialists and their covert representatives within our polity. I represent truth and light, you represent darkness. FEDs know better, you know nothing about Electricity Sector, so just watch and learn.
U knew Gbawe is on point,Cos when it come s to due process in this country FG hardly does it RIGHT.The RED FONT WORD in ur sentence.Pls reverse it,N u will know what u rep on this FORUM.I will keep saying it that u can only be "well fed" nt WELL PAID.Cos i kud c ur brain melting tru ur Nose."Abati special Adviser"

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by samfibby(m): 9:31am On Nov 15, 2012
Billyonaire: All the DISCOS we selected in an open bid, but Manitoba Canada's contract was signed under OBJ regime without due process, and no open bidding. If we must get it right, we have to be transparent, and we must do it right and not let vested interest of past administrations blind our sense of judgement. We need an open bid process to appoint the best firm to handle this job, if Manitoba wins in an open bidding then so be it.

I hope you would be happy when Abdusallami-Otedola-Babangida Power company wins the so called open bid.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by mosunade(f): 9:32am On Nov 15, 2012
samfibby:

I hope you would be happy when Abdusallami-Otedola-Babangida Power company wins the so called open bid.

Wait till then.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by londoner: 9:41am On Nov 15, 2012
mosun_ade:

You smell a rat because they say a contract that doesnt follow due process should be put up for bid again? with the same Manitoba coy free to participate again? why not wait till the 30 days before you start this lamentation of sodom?

He told you the reason but you are crying still that you smell a rat? Who is roasting the rat?

On second thought, I agree with your point,but the Nigerian government is yet to show itself to have a track record of being genuine. I must admit, my immediate raction was to question whether the reason given was the genuine reason behind it.

I agree we should wait the 30 days before judging, that is only fair. I just want so badly for Nigeria to get the privatisation off and running.

I do agree though, that contracts need to be transparent and in order, for the status quo to change.For Nigerian culture of corruption and shoddiness to change.

If Nnaji can bow out because of a conflict of interest, even though he seemed to be delivering.......I guess it should be no different with foreign partners.

Hopefully, they will agree to go through the proper channels, and if not they are replaced by a reputable company that will deliver and has a reliable track record elsewhere in the world.

If Nigeria can get this right.......it will revolutionise the country from top to bottom.

I have my fingers crossed that,yet again......Nigeria will not be let down by its leaders.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Pergrace: 9:44am On Nov 15, 2012
Tusky44: Honestly, this is the beginning of the failure of the power sector road map. No wonder Nnaji quietly left this hopeless administration. How can you ignore the likes of EDF, Siemens, GE, NPower, CECC, British Gas, National Grid, etc for LOCAL CHAMPIONS like Atiku, Emeka Ofor, IBB, Abdusalam Abubakar, Otedola, Tinubu, etc? God you really hate the average Nigerian otherwise why haven't you answered my prayer?

GEJ you will regret your failure.

God bless you
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Onegai(f): 9:56am On Nov 15, 2012
We've become Russia, after the USSR collapsed. Everything was privatised quickly and whaddya know, the very same people in power benefitted and became oligarchs and billionaires. I've said it a long time ago. In 20 yrs time, most of us will never be as rich as IBB, because all your money will never compete with his power to influence decisions at the top. The standard of living will keep going up and they'll become wealthier. Manitoba doesn't know how to play the Nigerian Game, which is why this very public setback happened, and no-one wants to end up like Siemens (in court, publicly disgraced and nothing to show for it).

We need a Jerry Rawlings.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by dhappyking(m): 9:59am On Nov 15, 2012
I may not know the details behind this whole thing. But I think this Mr. Due Process of a guy is very powerful in deed. He saw to the exit of very cabable, efficient and effective former minister of Power, Prof Bath Nnaji. He has now eased out Manitoba, just when we are expecting them to begin to deliver.Which other heads will roll soon?

Please,some one tell me, is this Mr. Due Process more important to some people than achieving the generally expected results?
My concern is that this whole thing is dragging on for too long. And with the delay follows confusion and suspicion. Must we continue to change horses at the middle of the stream?
Well as the saying gooes, the end justifies the means. So I shall be one of the people waiting to see the final out put of this powerful executor, Mr. Due Process in the power sector.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by mbulela: 10:09am On Nov 15, 2012
OMO IBO: i was crestfallen the moment i heard this on radio this afternoon as i drove home.
if this isnt corruption at it highest ebb i wonder what is.
jonathan has lost his marble.

we obviously know the guys who will follow 'due process'

bloody hell!
I struggle to understand why folks are surprised? Maybe few of us have been reading BusinessDay. Those guys have been following this thing big time. That power reform na high wired drama with intrigues,back stabbing, corruption and double speak of the highest order. These barbarians just do not care for the masses. See the VP Sambo that does like butter does not melt in his mouth? That guy is not to be trusted. I think cos GEJ has his own hands soiled in other pies, he had to concede this one to his fellow barbarians. As long as the president does not have the political and moral will to do right at all times, he does not have to be a willing participant in corruption at all times for it to thrive. I am a known pessimist but reality is that all the panels in the world will not save the petroleum industry nor the power sector. Our leaders lack the will to bring change. in the net 12months we will be hear expressing shock and surprise at Gencos and Discos contracts that have been cancelled.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by mosunade(f): 10:27am On Nov 15, 2012
Too many conspiracy theories. Why not just wait 30 days before all these propaganda and unreasonable conspiracy theories?

No conspiracy theories never come to pass despite the opposition championing it. When Nnaji resigned, they wrote so many conspiracy theories that never saw the light of the day, now they have started, and the gulible who even knows nothing about the whole exercise will join them in singing unfounded conspiracy theories.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Nobody: 10:56am On Nov 15, 2012
And I suppose it is this charade that currently passes for "due process".

BusinessDay learnt that the contract was cancelled by the president on Sunday, upon a memo submitted by the Director-General of the Bureau for Public Procurement, Emeka Eze, who has been exercising the powers of the Bureau without safeguards of a non-existent National Council on due process, as provided for in the enabling law.

Section 6:1 A of the Act establishing the BPP says “the Bureau shall have the power to enforce the Monetary and Prior review thresholds set by the ‘COUNCIL’ for application of the provisions of the act by the procuring entities.” Paragraph (b) of the act says “subject to paragraph (a) of the section, issue certificate of “NO OBJECTION” for Contract Award within the Prior Review threshold for all Procurement within the purview of this Act.”

BusinessDay learnt that in the past two years, the BPP has had no Council, and that the DG has been acting unilaterally.

Several private sector leaders, including prominent lawyers, became furious yesterday, after they heard of the cancellation of the contract.

Said one, “There are two issues that I have with this action and the reasons given for it. One, the exercise of powers of the bureau by the DG of the BPP, who has canvassed the illegality of this contract, is itself illegal, given that the DG has been acting alone for two years, without a ‘national council’ as provided for in law. So any exercise of such powers is illegal. Secondly, if it was a matter of procedural misdemeanor, the president should have asked the NCP to correct the wrong, bring a memo to the FEC for approval of no objection by BPP, instead of cancelling the contract”.
Source

The same DG who has had absolutely no qualms flouting procedural rules in the past suddenly gets a re-awakening and discovers "due process" en route Nirvana?
Please spare me the lullabies!
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Gbawe: 11:09am On Nov 15, 2012
mbulela:
I struggle to understand why folks are surprised? Maybe few of us have been reading BusinessDay. Those guys have been following this thing big time. That power reform na high wired drama with intrigues,back stabbing, corruption and double speak of the highest order. These barbarians just do not care for the masses. See the VP Sambo that does like butter does not melt in his mouth? That guy is not to be trusted. I think cos GEJ has his own hands soiled in other pies, he had to concede this one to his fellow barbarians. As long as the president does not have the political and moral will to do right at all times, he does not have to be a willing participant in corruption at all times for it to thrive. I am a known pessimist but reality is that all the panels in the world will not save the petroleum industry nor the power sector. Our leaders lack the will to bring change. in the net 12months we will be hear expressing shock and surprise at Gencos and Discos contracts that have been cancelled.

This is the crux of the matter. Every President, since 1999, has come into power compromised and 'owing' some powerful cabals, AGIPs, 'interest groups' and kingmakers. We know what these AGIPs and cabals go on to demand and get. They are the group , from one government to the next, responsible for how every process that can transform Nigeria is always hijacked cynically. We all know political will and sincerity will deliver solutions to our greatest problems. No Nigerian President has had those quality since 1999 and our current President is no exception.

GEJ has been President for over 2 years. He can, for example, stop the practice of Nigeria selling its oil through traders if he wants and any time he wants. We are the only major exporter of crude doing this and keeping this harmful doorway of graft open. Why so under a President who promised "transformation"? A simple directive from GEJ could change this yet he has not bothered in 2 years !!! Are those not the sort of things that blatantly show a compromised President who lacks the political will to transform Nigeria and in fact keeps things 'business as usual'?

All we see are actions that abet malfeasance everywhere. Otedola himself confessed we could defeat subsidy scam if Nigeria dealt with refineries directly instead of supporting fraud through the use of marketers. Yet did we not see number of marketers swell massively under GEJ with the FG and the NNPC in control of the issuance of marketers licence? That action of the GEJ government then led to the largest payout on subsidy seen in Nigeria under any President. Yet some cannot call a spade a spade.

This is why African Nations, previously troubled as we are, are making appreciable progress. They are learning moderation in relation to corruption. In other words, they are ensuring corruption is now no longer entirely pervasive and self-destructive as is the case with Nigeria.

We will see how this "due process" ruse plays out.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Gbawe: 11:30am On Nov 15, 2012
eGuerrilla: And I suppose it is this charade that currently passes for "due process".

Source

The same DG who has had absolutely no qualms flouting procedural rules in the past suddenly gets a re-awakening and discovers "due process" en route Nirvana?
Please spare me the lullabies!

My guy, we both know what the "due process" ruse is in aid of. Is it this Government that wants to preach due process with many infraction to its name that insensitively flouts due process? The routine dishonesty of Nigerians is worrying and enough to make one wonder whether others have a point when they claim many Nigerians are fraudulent by nature.

All those backing the Government's "due process" pursuit here should tell us what opinion they offered after no less that the Petroleum Minister of the Government and chairman boad of NNPC(Allison-Madueke) directly breached due process by allowing two members of the Ribadu-led Petroleum revenue task force to join the NNPC without resigning their appointment with the PRST ala the obvious notion of conflicting interests. Surely we all understand that Allison-Madueke wanted to compromise the members of the Ribadu committee with that development she cannot feign ignorance of.

Yes, this Government is indeed committed to "due process". The sort it showed issuing many Marketers licence to start-up companies that had no capacity, history or competence to engage in fuel importation.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Maxymilliano(m): 11:51am On Nov 15, 2012
Gbawe:

All those backing the Government's "due process" pursuit here should tell us what opinion they offered after no less that the Petroleum Minister of the Government and chairman boad of NNPC(Allison-Madueke) directly breached due process by allowing two members of the Ribadu-led Petroleum revenue task force to join the NNPC without resigning their appointment with the PRST ala the obvious notion of conflicting interests. Surely we all understand that Allison-Madueke wanted to compromise the members of the Ribadu committee with that development she cannot feign ignorance of.

Yes, this Government is indeed committed to "due process". The sort it showed issuing many Marketers licence to start-up companies that had no capacity, history or competence to engage in fuel importation.

Gbawe why are you trying hard to derail your thread from the initial topic of discussion? May be you should try and borrow a leaf from Ribadu's experience by adhering to the topic of discussion, which can be likened to the 'Term of reference' in this context. :-)
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Gbawe: 12:01pm On Nov 15, 2012
Maxymilliano:

Gbawe why are you trying hard to derail your thread from the initial topic of discussion? May be you should try and borrow a leaf from Ribadu's experience by adhering to the topic of discussion, which can be likened to the 'Term of reference' in this context. :-)

What derailment? Can you not notice linked relevance? I.e the notion, illustrated with examples, that it is unlikely a Government that revels in flagrantly ignoring due process will be the one also devoted to upholding due process. Does due process" also entail cancelling a contract on this scale and not informing the other Party formally? We will see the replacement for Manitoba that can be produced miraculously within 30 days when Manitoba had to be screened extensively and for a lengthy period. The 30 day proviso alone shows it is likely that a known replacement is already waiting in the wings. This is another Otedola/Oransaye drama from this Nollywood Government.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201211150778.html

Nigeria: TCN Contract Cancellation, Yet Another Setback?
BY YUNUS ABDULHAMID, 15 NOVEMBER 2012

The hiring of Canadian firm, Manitoba Hydro, to manage the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) took the Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE) five years and enormous resources to conclude. It was seen by industry watchers as a major step forward for the power reform process. The cancellation of the contract by President Goodluck Jonathan could well be a major blow to the reforms.

Managing Director of Manitoba Hydro International in Nigeria Mr. Don Priestman yesterday expressed shock over the reported cancellation of its management contract to run the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) for a period of three years.

He said his company was yet to get any official correspondence terminating the contract has been but they only learnt of the development on the pages of newspapers.

In a telephone interview, Mr. Priestman said: "I haven't really received any formal notification yet. All I know is from the newspapers. So, we are also surprised and disappointed. We don't understand the reason behind it but we are just waiting to receive a formal notification.
I was hoping that sense would prevail and that it was just a question of time. We were willing to give time for the right decision to be made so we could get out of it."

TCN is one of the successor companies created from the unbundling of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN). It combines the functions of a transmission services provider, a system operator and a market operator, all of which are central to the sustainability and development of the electricity sector.

Priestman said his next step was to, "wait for instruction from my head office."
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by werepeLeri: 12:04pm On Nov 15, 2012
Maxymilliano:

Are you surprised?
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by olivertwist: 12:11pm On Nov 15, 2012
'Due Process' in Nigeria simply means,

'My Bribe',
'My Settlement',
'My Share',
'My Cut',
'My Percentage',
'My Portion',
'My Cake',
'My Ration'
'My Allawi {Allowance}'
'My Loot'
'My Egunje'
'My Money'
'My Kudi'
'My Ego'
'My Owo'
'My Gift'
'My Allotment'
'My Interest'
'My Arrangee {Arrangement}
'My Blocks'
'My Discount'
'My Title'
'My A4B-Anything4The Boys'

I won't be surprised if Asari Dokubo pass the 'due process' & wins the power contract. No be Naija we dey talk!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Nobody: 12:13pm On Nov 15, 2012
From "due process" we are now on "terms of reference"?
What other instruments are these government apparatchiks going to draw on to create enough obfuscation, in an attempt to stifle further discussion on this thread? tongue

Presidency alliance with India’s Power Grid

However, Vanguard investigations revealed that there is more to the contract revocation than the allegation of flouting due process.

A competent Presidency source, who spoke on phone, revealed that the revocation might not be unconnected with the Presidency’s desire to hand over the management contract to India’s Power Grid Corporation, one of the three firms originally shortlisted for the contract. Others being Canada’s Manitoba Hydro, and Electricity Supply Board of Ireland.

The same National Council on Privatisation, NCP, headed by Vice President Namadi Sambo, had overseen the contract process, and had approved the exercise every step of the way, including the shortlisting of candidates and the agreements signing ceremony.

The BPP clause and other intrigues

Also strangely, the NCP directed that the BPE should have referred to the Bureau of Public Procurement, BPP, to validate the management contract, which in itself was not a procurement contract, but part of the privatisation process.

Besides, the NCP has not been constituted, and as such, there is nobody like BPP.

Even more intriguing was the fact that the BPE Act did not stipulate that it can validate its decisions, just like the BPP Act does not extend to the functions of the BPE.
Source

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Gbawe: 12:31pm On Nov 15, 2012
olivertwist:
I won't be surprised if Asari Dokubo pass the 'due process' & wins the power contract. No be Naija we dey talk!

My brother, the problem we have on this forum is that many blind backers of Government prefer insulting and focusing on other forumers vapidly instead of using commonsense and even rudimentary logic to see what is obvious. How long did it take to screen Manitoba and eventually settle on the company amidst several other competent bids? This TCN concession is virtually one of the most important aspect of the ongoing privatisation exercise.

This same Government was happy to endure with Manitoba because it deemed the company competently screened to the extent it was reluctant to initiate a new round of screening that will be time-consuming. Now Manitoba is sacked and a new Company must be in place within 30 days. Does that not suggest arbitrariness? Should the right process not involve re-advertising to gain expression of interests?

"Due process"? Perish the thought. GEJ has capitulated again to corruption and that is certainly not Gbawe's opinion alone even if those who love discussing people instead of issues think so. Below is latest emerging information. Informed Professionals, technocrats and even general Nigerian stakeholders are very angry at this development yet enemies of progress remain here focusing on other forumers instead of inspecting issues honestly and sincerely. Nigeria has a long way to go.

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/76-hot-topic/47639-how-anti-privatisation-forces-killed-tcn-contract

How anti-privatisation forces killed TCN contract
THURSDAY, 15 NOVEMBER 2012 00:00 BUSINESSDAY

A confluence of three anti-privatisation forces in government, including those angling for a slice of power contracts, those who do not want to let go control of the transmission grid, and others working to undermine the integrity of the power privatisation process, were involved in the sudden termination of the contract awarded to Manitoba Electric, to manage the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN).

The assault on the Manitoba contract was formidable, well choreographed, properly timed.

At a special meeting of arrowheads of the president power agenda where the president directed that the Manitoba contract be probed, those present were said to include, the Vice President, the Attorney- General, the former minister of State for Power, Darius Dickson Ishaku, his Permanent Secretary, Dere Awosika and the Director General of BPP, Emeka Eze.

Hints of the Manitoba contract cancellation were first made public November 2, when BusinessDay ran a comprehensive story on a wide-ranging investigation of the contract awarded to the Canadian firm to manage the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) for the next three years.

The development, BusinessDay observed, followed the pressure being brought to bear on President Goodluck Jonathan, to review the contract under which the firm would be paid a total of $23 million over a three-year period.

The contract to Manitoba Electric was sanctioned by the National Council on Privatisation (NCP) chaired by the vice president, more than two months ago, but the company was not allowed to assume full control of TCN by the old management, appointed by the Ministry of Power.

BusinessDay learnt that the contract was cancelled by the president on Sunday, upon a memo submitted by the Director-General of the Bureau for Public Procurement, Emeka Eze, who has been exercising the powers of the Bureau without safeguards of a non-existent National Council on due process, as provided for in the enabling law.

Section 6:1 A of the Act establishing the BPP says “the Bureau shall have the power to enforce the Monetary and Prior review thresholds set by the ‘COUNCIL’ for application of the provisions of the act by the procuring entities.” Paragraph (b) of the act says “subject to paragraph (a) of the section, issue certificate of “NO OBJECTION” for Contract Award within the Prior Review threshold for all Procurement within the purview of this Act.”

BusinessDay learnt that in the past two years, the BPP has had no Council, and that the DG has been acting unilaterally.

Several private sector leaders, including prominent lawyers, became furious yesterday, after they heard of the cancellation of the contract.

Said one, “There are two issues that I have with this action and the reasons given for it. One, the exercise of powers of the bureau by the DG of the BPP, who has canvassed the illegality of this contract, is itself illegal, given that the DG has been acting alone for two years, without a ‘national council’ as provided for in law. So any exercise of such powers is illegal. Secondly, if it was a matter of procedural misdemeanor, the president should have asked the NCP to correct the wrong, bring a memo to the FEC for approval of no objection by BPP, instead of cancelling the contract”.

Said a local investor, “It makes you wonder what loopholes they will find to negate the sale of Gencos and Discos, a year from now.”

His fear was likewise underscored by Bismarck Rewane, CEO, Financial Derivatives Company Limited.

“It is a major setback. Manitoba is a highly reputable firm. Once the government said the contact was given to Manitoba, we were all very excited. It gives you hope that something very important and real was going to happen, because transmission is very critical to the power reform. Power generation and distribution depend on transmission. We are in trouble because the entire process is in trouble.”

Bisi Sanda of Ernst and Young, said that the government should stop conducting itself as if nothing has changed in the process of carrying out our business affairs. He said the action would further worsen the perception of the global community.

“Arbitrary behaviour is inconsistent with global standards and it is better that the country adheres to rules and regulations guiding contracts, so that investors could come and invest,” Bisi added.

The main grouse of the BPP was that the contract awarded to Manitoba was illegal in their view, because the privatisation council failed to secure the required no-objection certificate from it, via the Federal Executive Council (FEC). Questions were also raised about the contract price of $23 million, when $8 million was agreed for a similar contract five years ago, but those raising the questions have not taken the pains to compare the scope of the two contracts.

However, our reporters learnt in Abuja yesterday, that this was a mere cover for those in government who always wanted the status quo to be maintained, and whose actions have now put the entire privatisation process and all its gains in jeopardy, especially because this will be the second failed attempt at enthroning a credible manager for TCN, after a botched process in 2006.

“The BPP and the Federal Government had ample time to look into what may constitute ‘breaches’ even before the contract was signed,” argued an analyst, who was clearly disturbed by the development. “This strongly underlines the level of the country’s under-development. We can’t see the relationship between investment and law and order. It will send a very bad signal.”

Curiously, the president sidetracked the NCP, and instead, has asked the Ministry of Power, which has been central in stalling the privatisation of key power assets, to lead the re-procurement of the contract to manage TCN within a period of 30 days, as against the painstaking two years it took to find bidders like Manitoba to bid in the first place.

It was not clear last night, if the Ministry of Power would aim to clean up the controversial bits of the Manitoba contract, or if it would go for a fresh tendering process, with a fresh invitation to capable managers from around the world.

But the manner in which the legal dispute is resolved will be crucial to helping steady the nerves of foreign investors. Ultimately, given the fact that this decision came as a surprise, providing a clear explanation as soon as possible, would go a long way in helping the government maintain momentum, said Robert Tashima, Economist and Political Scientist at the Oxford Business Group.

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by prost80(m): 12:34pm On Nov 15, 2012
When I heard of it yday. It just confirmed me that GEJ is worth all the insults he gets and mr president is not serious. So in his 48months tenure, at the 20th month(almost 2yrs) he turns around and yan dust. This is a sector that has kept Nigeria hostage for decades, and he doesn't see the URGENCY of sorting this out. A Nigeria where a whopping 70% live below the poverty line, it doesn't dawn on him the urgency of a quick resolution. This one decision can throw the gencos and discos privitisation in the bin, as these investors will develop cold feet and will no longer go ahead and pay the fees because of uncertainty. All GEJ can do well is smile that his useless smile, take photos and wear different attire. The man is good for nothing else. Imagine, we know GEJ can't solve all Nigeria's problem. At least get this sorted but no. God help us
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by takedat(m): 12:47pm On Nov 15, 2012
@Gbawe, abeg just cool down for these guys. 30 days is not far from now, we await to see the outcome

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Maxymilliano(m): 12:51pm On Nov 15, 2012
Gbawe:

Does due process" also entail cancelling a contract on this scale and not informing the other Party formally?

We will see the replacement for Manitoba that can be produced miraculously within 30 days when Manitoba had to be screened extensively and for a lengthy period.
The 30 day proviso alone shows it is likely that a known replacement is already waiting in the wings. This is another Otedola/Oransaye drama from this Nollywood Government.

It is not the duty of the government to inform other party about contact cancellation, the government only revoked the agreement entered on its behalf by BPE, it is the bureau that should be informing Manitoba Hydro and not Abati or Okupe.

The 30 days proviso still exist, making a hasty conclusion at government actions is fallacious.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

NURTW Leader Tokyo Arrested In Ibadan / Ondo Indigenes In Lagos Organized Fund Raising Dinner For Akeredolu (pics) / Governor Ambode Presents 2018 Budget (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.