Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,189 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:54 AM

Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback (12323 Views)

Privatisation Of PHCN A Fraud, Electricity Workers Tell Buhari / Move To Impeach Fayose Suffers Setback / Buhari’s Eligibility Suit Suffers Setback, Adjourned To April 22 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Gbawe: 1:00pm On Nov 15, 2012
take dat: @Gbawe, abeg just cool down for these guys. 30 days is not far from now, we await to see the outcome

Indeed.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by jmaine: 1:08pm On Nov 15, 2012
The interesting part is that making lotta noise and straining nerves on nairaland amounts to nothing grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Nobody: 1:34pm On Nov 15, 2012
^^^
Just the kind of contribution one expects from an enlisted member of the "don't give a damn" brigade.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by jmaine: 1:53pm On Nov 15, 2012
eGuerrilla: ^^^
Just the kind of contribution one expects from an enlisted member of the "don't give a damn" brigade.

Why should I give a damn about rants that gets no where . . .

Do you guys get paid to scream all day undecided
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by dounleedee: 1:55pm On Nov 15, 2012
Billyonaire:

Lets keep conspiracy theory aside cos the dynamics of the world today has been speedily altered by internet and the awareness it brings. I did mention that OBJ did not follow due process in selecting that company and the contract sum is ridiculous. Yaradua hibernated that contract cos he did not want to hurt OBJ & Crew, but GEJ is risking all relationships with the old to set an unforgettable record. The voice of the opposition to this policy will be very loud, but facts always prevail. Lets do this right, let there be bidding, let us not let our old generation diehard milito-political cabals use their press to drum negative energies into your psyche. Let there be bidding, an open one, and let there be light. And again if PHCN is plunging us into darkness, do we enjoy the darkness ? We have to do all it takes for the bulbs to illuminate our ways, our minds and our thoughts.

Due process? When are we going to wake up from our slumber?
A transparent system is one that offers explanations to clear ambiguity and doubts. If the government does not operate by these tenets, then the termination of Manitoba’s contract is simply a fraud. How come government failed to specify unequivocally the areas of the due process that were breached? Are governments contracts no longer open to the people? If the government has the balls to come clean on this Manitoba issue, they should also provide answers on exactly what the conflict of interests are on Bart Nnaji’s resignation. Government should provide the facts and allow Nigerians to discern the truth.
Nigeria is obviously asphyxiated by a “very known cabal “that has over the years stripped us of our rights, stolen our wealth and kept us in eternal solitude by using our stolen wealth to criminally acquire our national assets.
The termination of Manitoba’s contract, a company with proven track records in electricity generation, transmission and distribution services is not only an insult on our collective intelligence but a clear manifestation of our rotten leadership.
On PHCN’s workers protest: should government be protecting a workforce (PHCN) that has perpetually kept us in darkness; a workforce that is clearly over bloated and inefficient just to provide jobs for Ngerians?
If our local electricity experts and professionals failed to solve the perennial outages we have been having since the extinction of ECN they should shamefully try other vocations.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Puntae: 2:27pm On Nov 15, 2012
These ranting and curses won't go anywhere...
We can't sit in the comfort of our homes or offices dishing out submissions, some credible, some worthless and expect to
drive a change or restore what has been nullified.
In as much as it hurts to behold such news, we should hope that the reason for such a scrap is for a more credible procedure to
choosing a credible, more competenot and better Organisation.
Contrary therefore, we may then move to vent our grievance on the Authority.
Long Live the Federal Republic of Nigeria!!!
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Gbawe: 2:28pm On Nov 15, 2012
jmaine:

Why should I give a damn about rants that gets no where . . .

Do you guys get paid to scream all day undecided

Think about it. It is a no-brainer. If you truly did not give a damn, would you not simply ignore instead of even commenting to claim you don't give a damn and to complain of "strained nerve"? Guy, you have the option of doing the classy thing if you truly don't give a damn. Ignore and let others "rant". Simple as that.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by dounleedee: 2:31pm On Nov 15, 2012
victorD3: Are we forgetting that Canada just deported 2 Nigerian students studying in Canada for working beyond the working hours earmarked for students. Well this happened despite plea from the federal government. In real countries deals are sometimes scraped if diplomatic talks and arrangements fail.

Stop tagging everything to corruption.

Very true, but the interests and welfare of a whole nation cannot hinge on the misdemeanour of two foreign students. There are other diplomatic avenues for retaliatory actions. This is corruption, in its lowest form, period.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by jmaine: 2:37pm On Nov 15, 2012
Gbawe:

Think about it. It is a no-brainer. If you truly did not give a damn, would you not simply ignore instead of even commenting to claim you don't give a damn and to complain of "strained nerve"? Guy, you have the option of doing the classy thing if you truly don't give a damn. Ignore and let others "rant". Simple as that.

I repeat, it's funny and futile ranting all day on nairaland which changes nothing

And I equally don't give a damn about folks ranting to no where . . .

the classy thing I did was to let you all know the futility in straining nerves with no tangible action or results to boot/follow.

Hope I made myself very clear
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Puntae: 2:49pm On Nov 15, 2012
Gbawe:

What is the essence of ranting without a yield of a visible result nor change arising from the ranting?
"Let's hold our breathe now so we dont gasp for it when we need it most"...
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Gbawe: 3:00pm On Nov 15, 2012
Puntae:
What is the essence of ranting without a yield of a visible result nor change arising from the ranting?
"Let's hold our breathe now so we dont gasp for it when we need it most"...

And what does your intolerance for the free choice of others demonstrate? Is this not a discussion forum any longer? What, first and foremost, are discussion forums set up for? Why not let others "rant" in 'futility' if that is their free and adult choice? Why does it bother you to the extent you have to speak? If you don't like discussing issues, why disturb others who do? Does the forum belong to you that you now get to decide what is "rantings" and what is not? Why don't you simply ignore the thread?
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Gbawe: 3:07pm On Nov 15, 2012
jmaine:

I repeat, it's funny and futile ranting all day on nairaland which changes nothing

And I equally don't give a damn about folks ranting to no where . . .

the classy thing I did was to let you all know the futility in straining nerves with no tangible action or results to boot/follow.

Hope I made myself very clear

Jmaine, you are fond of needless back and forth. It really is very simple. This is a discussion forum. When forumers get audience and willing responses from others who wish to discuss with them, why do you intolerantly have a problem with that? Are you or any other forum user addressed directly?

You do nothing classy here. I only see intolerance because you have the adult option of ignoring other adults who have chosen , of their own free will, to talk to each other. You can simply choose the truly classy option. Walk in and walk out without trying to infringe on the rights of others to discuss whatever they want as repeatedly as they want.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Nobody: 3:15pm On Nov 15, 2012
What other instruments are these government apparatchiks going to draw on to create enough obfuscation, in an attempt to stifle further discussion on this thread? tongue

@Gbawe, I always knew once the "due process" and "terms of reference" arguments were exposed for vacuity they connote as far as this discussion goes, see-no-evil government apologists were either going to resort to character assassination or feigned indifference.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Gbawe: 3:24pm On Nov 15, 2012
eGuerrilla:

@Gbawe, I always knew once the "due process" and "terms of reference" arguments were exposed for vacuity they connote as far as this discussion goes, see-no-evil government apologists were either going to resort to character assassination or feigned indifference.

grin grin grin grin grin grin transparent lot.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by duni04(m): 4:08pm On Nov 15, 2012
I've developed apathy for news like this, commenting on it won't stop those guys in Abuja from looting so there's just no point.When we come up with topics on protesting or assassinating all corrupt leaders, i'll be interested. Till then, no comments undecided

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by werepeLeri: 4:18pm On Nov 15, 2012
Anyone who doesn't have plain reliable facts to back up arguments simply spins the corruption angle because everyone will listen to that. One said it is corruption pure and simple yet he has no points or arguments to back up his claim or points to anything concrete to prove his claim.

Off course this is no more a discussion forum, it is an attack forum where anyone who aligns with government is seen as a government apologist and termed an enemy whilst those who agree with their anti government stance are nomenclated as their brothers. LOL.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Gbawe: 4:20pm On Nov 15, 2012
duni04: I've developed apathy for news like this, commenting on it won't stop those guys in Abuja from looting so there's just no point.When we come up with topics on protesting or assassinating all corrupt leaders, i'll be interested. Till then, no comments undecided

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by werepeLeri: 4:25pm On Nov 15, 2012
duni04: I've developed apathy for news like this, commenting on it won't stop those guys in Abuja from looting so there's just no point.When we come up with topics on protesting or assassinating all corrupt leaders i'll be interested. Till then, no comments undecided

You don't know how to get a gun and do your evil deed? Must you wait for others?
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 4:32pm On Nov 15, 2012
duni04: I've developed apathy for news like this, commenting on it won't stop those guys in Abuja from looting so there's just no point.When we come up with topics on protesting or assassinating all corrupt leaders, i'll be interested. Till then, no comments undecided

well welcome to my street. each time i get to post anything short of exposing the physical insecurities surrounding our corrupt political leaders, it gets deleted and i get a ban.. the truth is there is no security there is little intelligence and a whole lot of loop-holes grin grin grin somebody ban me
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by jmaine: 4:36pm On Nov 15, 2012
Gbawe:

Jmaine, you are fond of needless back and forth. It really is very simple. This is a discussion forum. When forumers get audience and willing responses from others who wish to discuss with them, why do you intolerantly have a problem with that? Are you or any other forum user addressed directly?

You do nothing classy here. I only see intolerance because you have the adult option of ignoring other adults who have chosen , of their own free will, to talk to each other. You can simply choose the truly classy option. Walk in and walk out without trying to infringe on the rights of others to discuss whatever they want as repeatedly as they want.

Bros, you are one who always love engaging in a needless back and forth hazzles . .I simply made my position concise and clear, and you picked on it. How is that suppose to be my fault cheesy

I have every right to make my position clear. You either continue your rants sorry discussion, while i continue to make my observations also, which is sadly the unclad reality grin . . .

Rants on nairaland amount to nothing . . .True or False

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Puntae: 5:05pm On Nov 15, 2012
Gbawe:

And what does your intolerance for the free choice of others demonstrate? Is this not a discussion forum any longer? What, first and foremost, are discussion forums set up for? Why not let others "rant" in 'futility' if that is their free and adult choice? Why does it bother you to the extent you have to speak? If you don't like discussing issues, why disturb others who do? Does the forum belong to you that you now get to decide what is "rantings" and what is not? Why don't you simply ignore the thread?
I can see this topic is urs to feed on as your name so smell all around it... I do not wish to discourage critics nor commentators of ur kind from airing their views on certain annoying issues which may likely remain unattended to... I only preach that much energy be reserved to tackle relevant issues than pour out anger which kills not even an ant...
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Nobody: 5:18pm On Nov 15, 2012
Something tells me that the powers-that-be terminated the Manitoba Company contract because the company refused to pay kick-backs to them. This is the Nigerian factor that many Nigerians still don't understand. The contract will be re-awarded to a local government crony or foreign company (Indian or Chinese) willing to "play ball".

That, my friends, is this governments due process policy. Ever wondered why the winners of the just concluded sale of Gencos and Discos were the "Owners of Nigeria" instead of global power companies with requisite financial muscle and technical expertise?
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by juman(m): 5:29pm On Nov 15, 2012
President Jonathan appears as a confused president.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Gbawe: 5:37pm On Nov 15, 2012
Puntae:
I can see this topic is urs to feed on as your name so smell all around it... I do not wish to discourage critics nor commentators of ur kind from airing their views on certain annoying issues which may likely remain unattended to... I only preach that much energy be reserved to tackle relevant issues than pour out anger which kills not even an ant...

Look, why not simply live and let live? If an issue annoys you, why not ignore it? Whether talk here affect issues on the ground or not still does not mean you should intolerantly join issues with other adult who do not need your consent to discuss with each other in any way or pattern they want. Go , in your personal capacity, and carry out whatever actions you want. In the meantime, let those who want to discuss do so in peace.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Gbawe: 5:51pm On Nov 15, 2012
kalokalo: Something tells me that the powers-that-be terminated the Manitoba Company contract because the company refused to pay kick-backs to them. This is the Nigerian factor that many Nigerians still don't understand. The contract will be re-awarded to a local government crony or foreign company (Indian or Chinese) willing to "play ball".

That, my friends, is this governments due process policy. Ever wondered why the winners of the just concluded sale of Gencos and Discos were the "Owners of Nigeria" instead of global power companies with requisite financial muscle and technical expertise?

That is a consideration. Corruption is still rife across Africa. It is the extent to which it is allowed to taint or sabotage development that differs. For example,while Togo Politicians may accept kickback to favor certain companies for conceded State asset, from a competent pool, Nigerian leaders prefer the wicked and anti-people Oligarchic model where they and their cronies gain control of profitable assets of the State even as they have no core/technocratic competence to deliver.

The need to own processes and assets that will continue to generate big profit , through misuse of political power, is what sets Nigerian Politicians aside as the most dangerous and callously destructive in Africa and perhaps the world. Everything for Nigerian leaders is, first and foremost, an opportunity to make and continue making billions to the extent they will always try and own assets they should ordinarily concede into the most competent hands. This answers the question in your last paragraph.

Whereas others in Africa , to ensure progress is still the main issue, may simply just take £2 million to favor British Gas that is competent anyway and guaranteed to get the job done. While we have been going back and forth for years, Manitoba has settled in Kenya and is doing well delivering on its core brief.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by kulutempa: 6:36pm On Nov 15, 2012
@Gbawe, I think you deserve the Nobel Prize for trying to make sense to the senseless. A lot of Nigerians want their country to develop without the change and reform this would require. Just a few months ago the President was in London trying to woo "international investors" and now he cancels a contract one of them has already signed, not because of any wrong doing by the investor, but because of an internal and disgraceful failure by the government to apply its own laws. Even the best comedian in the world can't come up with such a story line grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by mosunade(f): 8:21pm On Nov 15, 2012
Nonsense. so because we want to woo international investors, we should ignore whether things are done very well or not. Nonsense. Its you people who will still turn round tomorrow and blame government that they haven't done anything transparently. Is the grouse because the company concerned is international or what?
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Gbawe: 8:46pm On Nov 15, 2012
kulutempa: @Gbawe, I think you deserve the Nobel Prize for trying to make sense to the senseless. A lot of Nigerians want their country to develop without the change and reform this would require. Just a few months ago the President was in London trying to woo "international investors" and now he cancels a contract one of them has already signed, not because of any wrong doing by the investor, but because of an internal and disgraceful failure by the government to apply its own laws. Even the best comedian in the world can't come up with such a story line grin

My guy, I just try and do my thing and avoid uncouth yobs - and this place is full of them - who get personal rather than face issues. No one want to be cynical of Government but Nigerian leaders are known throughout the world for their unbridled greed and totally unethical mien.

There is no moderation to their greed and they have a distasteful penchant for not adhering to contracts. Why is it always cronies of Government, specifically the ruling Party, currently 'winning' bids for State assets when these sort of things are becoming rare even among Nation that used to match us for corruption?

Why are we the only major oil producer to sell our oil through traders thus abetting theft and corruption? How long does it take a serious and sincere Government to change that situation? 1 day or 20 years? The answer is obvious to those who know life beyond Nigeria to see how serious Nations operate.

When our refineries have to be privatised, why is it always Dangote, Otedola et al who are bid winners? How did we frustrate and discourage Vodafone when they wanted to buy Nitel? This saga now with Manitoba is all too familiar and "more of the same" for those who know the oligarchic modus operandi of the ruling Party. Many cannot deal with our leaders brand of unconscionable and intemperate greed that destroys everything in its path to the extent we are now so far behind others in socio-economic development. The ordeal of Manitoba, cloak it in any toga of "due process", will only add to our reputation as a rogue nation with highly immoral and irresponsible leaders.

http://www.anticorruptionleague.org/africa/nigerian-politicians-are-very-insane-they-kill-dreams-%E2%80%93-richard-branson.php

Nigerian politicians are very insane, They Kill Dreams – Richard Branson

The rich international businessman, Richard Branson, has lambasted the crop of leaders we have in Nigeria for their high level greed which, according to him, is killing big brands wishing to do business with the government of the country, for the growth of Nigeria’s economy.

The chairman of Virgin Atlantic said: “…we have virgin’s ill-fated footsteps by setting up a new airline in Africa in conjunction with Nigerian government…the details of the doomed attempts to crack the Nigerian market in the 2000s is better imagined…we put …together a very good airline-the first airline in West Africa that was ever IOSA/IATA operational safety audit accredited but unfortunately it got tied down to the politics of the country…we led the airlines for 11 years…

“We fought daily battle against government agents who wanted to daily make fortune from us, politicians who saw the government 49% as a meal to seek for all kinds of favour…watchdogs (regulatory body) that didn’t know what to do and persistently asking for bribes at any point…Nigeria people are generally nice but the politicians are very insane…that may be irony because the people make up the politicians…

“But those politicians are selfish…we did make N3billion for the federal government of Nigeria during the joint venture…realising that the government didn’t bring nothing to the table/partnership except dubious debts by the previous carrier, Nigeria Airways…The joint venture should have been the biggest African carrier by now if the partnership was allowed to grow, but the politicians KILLED it…Nigeria is a country we SHALL NEVER consider to doing business again..”
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by olivertwist: 9:25pm On Nov 15, 2012
kulutempa: @Gbawe, I think you deserve the Nobel Prize for trying to make sense to the senseless. A lot of Nigerians want their country to develop without the change and reform this would require. Just a few months ago the President was in London trying to woo "international investors" and now he cancels a contract one of them has already signed, not because of any wrong doing by the investor, but because of an internal and disgraceful failure by the government to apply its own laws. Even the best comedian in the world can't come up with such a story line grin

cool cool cool cool smiley smiley smiley smiley cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy wink wink wink wink kiss kiss kiss kiss grin grin grin grin

GBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by karlmax2: 10:20pm On Nov 15, 2012
Presidency blames BPE for cancelled Manitoba power contract…denies friction between Jonathan, Sambo

NOVEMBER 15, 2012
The Presidency on Wednesday said the management contract for the Transmission Company of Nigeria awarded to a Canadian firm, Manitoba Hydro International, was cancelled because of a series of infractions on the part of the Bureau of Public Enterprise.

It denied that the cancelled contract had caused a division between President Goodluck Jonathan and Vice-President Namadi Sambo, who chairs the National Council on Privatisation.

The Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Dr. Reuben Abati, made the clarification in an interview with our correspondent.

Abati said the contract was awarded by BPE and not NCP as Nigerians were made to believe.

He explained that BPE awarded the contract contrary to the provisions of the Public Procurement Act, 2007.

Abati said, “The BPE has no power to approve a management contract, according to the provision of Section 16 sub section 4 of the 2007 Public Procurement Act. That section says that the BPE must obtain a certificate of no objection from the Bureau of Public Procurement.

“Another section of the Act says that certain contracts must be approved by the Federal Executive Council. The management contract in question is $23.6m, which is above the approved threshold of BPE. The vice-president is a member of FEC.

“For the BPE to go ahead and approve that contract simply means that due process was not followed. It is a matter of due process, a matter of best practice; it is not a personality matter. The infraction was committed by the BPE.”

Despite the confirmation of the termination of the contract, a source told one of our correspondents that the Canadian firm would still be allowed to apply to manage the critical power infrastructure if it so desired.

Abati said, “Yes, the President has cancelled the contract because it was not done in accordance with the Public Procurement Act. President Goodluck Jonathan has directed that a new process for the selection of the management contractor should begin immediately and should be completed in 30 days in order not to cause unnecessary panic.

“The President also directed that the new process should conform to international best practices.”

However, one of our correspondents learnt that the cancellation of the contract was at the instance of the Technical and Legal committees of the National Council on Privatisation as well as the Attorney-General of the Federation, Mr. Mohammed Adoke.

A Presidency source said the NCP, headed by Vice-President Namadi Sambo, did not take a decision on the cancellation, but recommended the review of the contract following the issue of compliance with due process raised by the AGF and the NCP committees.

The source added that the action was not against Manitoba but the process, adding that the Canadian firm could still apply to manage the transmission company.

The PUNCH had exclusively reported last week that the contract might collapse following moves to strip the contractor of key functions included in the contract, and the failure of the Federal Government to issue Delegated Authority to the company two months after the contract was supposed to have taken off.

The company had been stripped of its power to control human resource and finance at the company, contrary to the provisions of the management contract following strong opposition by the workers of the TCN and the Power Holding Company of Nigeria.

The Chief Executive Officer sent to TCN by Manitoba, Mr. Don Priestman, had confirmed that the Federal Government had yet to issue the Canadian firm the Delegated Authority it required to work.

Meanwhile, worried by the spate of system collapse leading to blackouts in the country, the Presidential Task Force on Power has met with officials of TCN to resolve the problem.

At the meeting in Abuja, the PTFP Chairman, Mr. Beks Dagogo-Jack, charged regional and top managers of TCN to commit to the target of 5,000MW electricity generation by December.

The task force was told that some businesses threatened by improved power situation could have been collaborating with corrupt workers to frustrate power stability in the country.

The Head, Media and Communications, PTFP, Mrs. Awele Okigbo, confirmed these in a statement made available to our correspondent in Abuja on Wednesday.

Okigbo said the interaction between the TCN management team and the technical heads of the task force focused on the review of the sudden rise in the frequency of power grid collapses.

She said, “The meeting dealt extensively with the immediate and remote causes of the collapses and identified a few remedy plans with short to long-term delivery times.

“From the National Control Centre Manager’s submission, it was made clear that there are two major causes for the system collapses namely; generation-side triggers, especially during periods of very low power availability, and transmission-side triggers, with the latter contributing over 60 per cent of the trigger incidents.

“Top on the list of major causes for the collapses is the overgrown vegetation interacting with high and low voltage power lines, which worsens during the wet season and through logging activities.”
http://www.punchng.com/news/presidency-blames-bpe-for-cancelled-manitoba-power-contract-denies-friction-between-jonathan-sambo/
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by mosunade(f): 9:14am On Nov 16, 2012
In a move certain to douse anxiety over the fate of the power sector reform and privatisation programme, President Goodluck Jonathan is still reviewing the management contract for the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN).

Confirming the new twist in the $23.7 million management contract, which was awarded to a Canadian firm, Manitoba Hydro International (MHI), last July, a source in the Ministry of Power said the ministry was yet to receive notification on the cancellation of the contract, but what they understood was that the president had ordered a review of the contract.

Also, Manitoba said Thursday that although it had not received any official notice on the contract’s termination, it would seek for compensation from the government if it happens.

Chief Executive Officer of MHI, Mr. Don Priestman, who has been superintending activities of the firm at TCN, disclosed this in response to enquiries by THISDAY Thursday in Abuja.

An official of the power ministry said last night that the management contract might not have been cancelled as reported exclusively by THISDAY two days ago and was confirmed by the president’s Special Adviser, Media and Publicity, Dr. Reuben Abati, that same day when other media houses made enquiries.

He said the president had decided that the contract be reviewed by a team of experts, which will be concluded next week.

In a bid to prove that Manitoba had not been shown the exit, the official said that its chief executive was at the Presidential Villa yesterday to meet with officials in the presidency.
He explained that the review was being done to ensure that whatever irregularities that needed to be corrected in the contract are effected.

“The president is a stickler for procedure and the rule of law. So the review is being carried out to correct any irregularity that has been noticed in the contract,” he said.

The official added that the reason a review was being undertaken was to keep the power reform and privatisation programme on course.
“The president remains committed to the programme and will do everything to keep it on course.

“He is also aware that there are some interest groups and politicians who want to derail the process.

“But it must not be hijacked by these politicians whose sole aim is to sabotage the programme for their own selfish gains,” he said.

Priestman, however, informed THISDAY yesterday that although the government had not formally communicated its decision to cancel the three-year contract, the company would certainly ask for compensation from the government, if it communicates its position as reported in the media.

According to him, “At the moment, we have got no official word from the government on the contract cancellation and everything we know about it has been from media reports which is a heck of a way to do things.

“We have no official communication from the government up till now and until we get some official notification to that effect, I guess we will have to wait to know the government’s position.

“But I’m still in my office at the PHCN (Power Holding Company of Nigeria) corporate headquarters, which houses TCN and our telephone lines have been shut down. I cannot make official calls outside of here but rely on calls coming in.”
When asked to clarify the current position at the state-owned transmission utility as well as Manitoba’s position, Priestman said: “We have to wait to take a decision to either demobilise.

“But right now, we are in a limbo. We came here in good faith to do our job but the mood here suggests otherwise and we reckon that we are not in a fight with anybody; we just want to do our job.”

On the possible legal action that might be taken by Manitoba, Priestman said: “The decision is not in my hands but certainly we have got a case, we are owed a lot of money and we hope to ask for compensation if we are communicated of government’s position that the contract has been terminated.”

The Bureau of Public Procurement (BPP), for several weeks, has been pushing for the cancellation of the contract on the premise that it did not pass through due process as provided under the Public Procurement Act.

Its Director General, Mr. Emeka Eze, had written a memo to the president recommending the contract’s termination and that the BPP be allowed to appoint a new contractor within 30 days, after it had been furnished with five names by the Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE).

But the president had approved that the power ministry undertake the job of appointing a new company to manage TCN within 30 days.
It is believed that he may have reviewed his decision to get the power reform programme back on track.

In a related development, it has emerged that it was a petition by the Power Grid of India, which faulted the process by which Manitoba emerged as the preferred bidder to manage TCN, that triggered the chain of events that led to the contract’s review by government.

THISDAY discovered yesterday that Power Grid had written to BPE alleging that Manitoba’s selection was done before the financial bids were opened, a decision they saw as not being in conformity with the rules set out by the BPE.

Of the four firms that had expressed interest in managing TCN in 2007, Manitoba and Power Grid were the only two that had their bids prequalified when the process to select a management contractor for the transmission was restarted by the BPE in 2010.

The Indian company contended that it had won the bid in a rigorous exercise conducted in 2007, which made it the preferred bidder for the transmission company.

By yesterday, THISDAY learnt that the company was warming up to convince government officials of its readiness to manage TCN.

The management contract was signed between the BPE, on behalf of the Federal Government, and Manitoba in July, with a commencement date of September 1, 2012.

But owing to interference by officials in the Ministry of Power, the take-off of the deal was stalled, while the Canadian firm was prevented from effectively taking over TCN.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/president-still-reviewing-manitoba-tcn-contract/130808/
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by mosunade(f): 9:15am On Nov 16, 2012
In a move certain to douse anxiety over the fate of the power sector reform and privatisation programme, President Goodluck Jonathan is still reviewing the management contract for the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN).

Confirming the new twist in the $23.7 million management contract, which was awarded to a Canadian firm, Manitoba Hydro International (MHI), last July, a source in the Ministry of Power said the ministry was yet to receive notification on the cancellation of the contract, but what they understood was that the president had ordered a review of the contract.

Also, Manitoba said Thursday that although it had not received any official notice on the contract’s termination, it would seek for compensation from the government if it happens.

Chief Executive Officer of MHI, Mr. Don Priestman, who has been superintending activities of the firm at TCN, disclosed this in response to enquiries by THISDAY Thursday in Abuja.

An official of the power ministry said last night that the management contract might not have been cancelled as reported exclusively by THISDAY two days ago and was confirmed by the president’s Special Adviser, Media and Publicity, Dr. Reuben Abati, that same day when other media houses made enquiries.

He said the president had decided that the contract be reviewed by a team of experts, which will be concluded next week.

[b]In a bid to prove that Manitoba had not been shown the exit, the official said that its chief executive was at the Presidential Villa yesterday to meet with officials in the presidency.
He explained that the review was being done to ensure that whatever irregularities that needed to be corrected in the contract are effected.

“The president is a stickler for procedure and the rule of law. So the review is being carried out to correct any irregularity that has been noticed in the contract,” he said.

The official added that the reason a review was being undertaken was to keep the power reform and privatisation programme on course.
“The president remains committed to the programme and will do everything to keep it on course.

“He is also aware that there are some interest groups and politicians who want to derail the process.

“But it must not be hijacked by these politicians whose sole aim is to sabotage the programme for their own selfish gains,” he said.

Priestman, however, informed THISDAY yesterday that although the government had not formally communicated its decision to cancel the three-year contract, the company would certainly ask for compensation from the government, if it communicates its position as reported in the media.

According to him, “At the moment, we have got no official word from the government on the contract cancellation and everything we know about it has been from media reports which is a heck of a way to do things.

“We have no official communication from the government up till now and until we get some official notification to that effect, I guess we will have to wait to know the government’s position.

“But I’m still in my office at the PHCN (Power Holding Company of Nigeria) corporate headquarters, which houses TCN and our telephone lines have been shut down. I cannot make official calls outside of here but rely on calls coming in.”
When asked to clarify the current position at the state-owned transmission utility as well as Manitoba’s position, Priestman said: “We have to wait to take a decision to either demobilise.

“But right now, we are in a limbo. We came here in good faith to do our job but the mood here suggests otherwise and we reckon that we are not in a fight with anybody; we just want to do our job.”

On the possible legal action that might be taken by Manitoba, Priestman said: “The decision is not in my hands but certainly we have got a case, we are owed a lot of money and we hope to ask for compensation if we are communicated of government’s position that the contract has been terminated.”

The Bureau of Public Procurement (BPP), for several weeks, has been pushing for the cancellation of the contract on the premise that it did not pass through due process as provided under the Public Procurement Act.

Its Director General, Mr. Emeka Eze, had written a memo to the president recommending the contract’s termination and that the BPP be allowed to appoint a new contractor within 30 days, after it had been furnished with five names by the Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE).

But the president had approved that the power ministry undertake the job of appointing a new company to manage TCN within 30 days.
It is believed that he may have reviewed his decision to get the power reform programme back on track.

In a related development, it has emerged that it was a petition by the Power Grid of India, which faulted the process by which Manitoba emerged as the preferred bidder to manage TCN, that triggered the chain of events that led to the contract’s review by government.
[/b]
THISDAY discovered yesterday that Power Grid had written to BPE alleging that Manitoba’s selection was done before the financial bids were opened, a decision they saw as not being in conformity with the rules set out by the BPE.

Of the four firms that had expressed interest in managing TCN in 2007, Manitoba and Power Grid were the only two that had their bids prequalified when the process to select a management contractor for the transmission was restarted by the BPE in 2010.

The Indian company contended that it had won the bid in a rigorous exercise conducted in 2007, which made it the preferred bidder for the transmission company.

By yesterday, THISDAY learnt that the company was warming up to convince government officials of its readiness to manage TCN.

The management contract was signed between the BPE, on behalf of the Federal Government, and Manitoba in July, with a commencement date of September 1, 2012.

But owing to interference by officials in the Ministry of Power, the take-off of the deal was stalled, while the Canadian firm was prevented from effectively taking over TCN.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/president-still-reviewing-manitoba-tcn-contract/130808/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ekwunife May Replace Obiano Over Alleged Double Registration / BREAKING: SSS Partially Restores Saraki’s Security Detail / NGO Bill: Protesters Storm National Assembly (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.