Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,290 members, 7,839,433 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:05 PM

Hamas Military Chief Killed In Israeli Airstrike, War Says Hamas!!! - Foreign Affairs (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Hamas Military Chief Killed In Israeli Airstrike, War Says Hamas!!! (19943 Views)

Pakistan President Security Chief Killed / Syria Threatens Retaliation For Israeli Airstrike / Hamas Military Commander Killed By Israeli Airstrike In Gaza (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hamas Military Chief Killed In Israeli Airstrike, War Says Hamas!!! by Nobody: 10:00am On Nov 15, 2012
Ericsdm55: You may called the Bible a roman holybook to ur own detriment as dis same book wil be used to judge u. Infidel, repent now and embrace God's only way of salvation- Jesus, by accepting HIM as lord and savior. Think and act fast... No time.

The slaves masters and missionaries did a very good job on you. They took out your brain and replaced it with a cow's. It is a shame you are worshiping the same book that was used to enslave you.
Re: Hamas Military Chief Killed In Israeli Airstrike, War Says Hamas!!! by honeric01(m): 10:01am On Nov 15, 2012
okpara ugo:

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

Try to find out which side God dey before you continue ranting. My candid advice.

Abeg how we wan take know which side God dey? was God also on the side of Hitler when he was murdering the Jews since its seems those who bully are seen as the one with God's blessings.
Re: Hamas Military Chief Killed In Israeli Airstrike, War Says Hamas!!! by Nobody: 10:07am On Nov 15, 2012
Nuzo':
Fuuckin' black African mofos. shocked

Neither the isreahili nor the arabians care about you dumb Africans.

The racist gays (isreahili and arabians) will Bleep your black smelly assz at any opportunity they got irrespective of your religious affliation with them.

Fucck you all bible/qoran thumping lazy black bastards. angry

Very weak race indeed!

I totally agree with you. The black race seemed the weakest of all race. They never learn from the past.They were enslaved physically a few hundred years ago,now they are being controlled mentally by the same racist people.Isael!
Re: Hamas Military Chief Killed In Israeli Airstrike, War Says Hamas!!! by munas: 10:07am On Nov 15, 2012
eggheaders:

your stupidity is gross mehn.FYI Indians are the onces maltreating Bangladeshi you just showed how uninformed you are. moreover I am not supporting the Zionist nor the Arabs. I support justice and rule of law.piss out boy.
Go to dubai and find out..olodo
Re: Hamas Military Chief Killed In Israeli Airstrike, War Says Hamas!!! by Nobody: 10:11am On Nov 15, 2012
gboss4sure:

Can you show me a prove if this? Or you are just saying a rumour peddled by muslims to cover their blood thirst religion

You are asking me to show you a proof that slavery actually happened? Were your ancestors christians before the slave master came? You need a proof that christians burnt non believers,gays, so called witches at the stake? You must be out of your weak black mind! Why not ask me if your bible God does really exist?
Re: Hamas Military Chief Killed In Israeli Airstrike, War Says Hamas!!! by hotwax: 10:12am On Nov 15, 2012
d word 'jairul-salam' is what is known today as 'jerusalem' and 'baitul-alham' is what is 'bathlahem' today. These are arabic words changed by the occupiers....those places belong to the palastainians originally. We have high percentage of educated illiterates in nigeria...that's the problem also, poor reading culture.

When prophet dauda A̶̲̥̅​.k.A̶̲̥̅​ king David found Jerusalem. There was no language called "arabic" then.
Arab is A̶̲̥̅​ modern days language formed from aramaic.

Anabi dauda is A̶̲̥̅​ jew. He spoke hebrew throughout his life. How come jews rename Jerusalem again.

Muslims are fraudsters!
Re: Hamas Military Chief Killed In Israeli Airstrike, War Says Hamas!!! by Nobody: 10:13am On Nov 15, 2012
dj187: Mugu

olodo. learn to put your people first,not the slave masters!
Re: Hamas Military Chief Killed In Israeli Airstrike, War Says Hamas!!! by eggheaders(m): 10:20am On Nov 15, 2012
munas:
Go to dubai and find out..olodo

maybe u blind or u can't read.ain't supporting neither Arabs nor isrealites.I support justice and rule of law.gat dat into ur sick head.
Re: Hamas Military Chief Killed In Israeli Airstrike, War Says Hamas!!! by Jacqueline88(f): 10:36am On Nov 15, 2012
Oga how did the palestinians get into the Isreali prisons?please tell us.

Ask him. when u dont know facts u respect your big mouth. lipsrsealed
Re: Hamas Military Chief Killed In Israeli Airstrike, War Says Hamas!!! by citizenisb: 10:46am On Nov 15, 2012
Re: Hamas Military Chief Killed In Israeli Airstrike, War Says Hamas!!! by citizenisb: 10:48am On Nov 15, 2012
Re: Hamas Military Chief Killed In Israeli Airstrike, War Says Hamas!!! by odutope(m): 10:54am On Nov 15, 2012
Naija pple sha..people jst com on here to post wateva dey av bn programmed to think..find out the truth before takin sides
Re: Hamas Military Chief Killed In Israeli Airstrike, War Says Hamas!!! by eggheaders(m): 11:03am On Nov 15, 2012
to all isreali ass lickers .watch activate on al jazeera today 16:30 GMT and see what ur God choosen onces are doing to Africans.
Re: Hamas Military Chief Killed In Israeli Airstrike, War Says Hamas!!! by niggadee(m): 11:23am On Nov 15, 2012
honeric01: [size=18pt]When are you people going to wake up?

Those calling Israel a christian country are ignorant

ISRAEL IS MAJORLY FOR JUDAISM AND ISLAM, IF YOU THINK I AM LYING, PROVE ME WRONG, YOU'LL HARDLY SEE CHURCHES IN PUBLIC PLACES, MOSTLY MOSQUES AND SYNAGOGUES.
[/size]
well said

1 Like

Re: Hamas Military Chief Killed In Israeli Airstrike, War Says Hamas!!! by honeric01(m): 11:41am On Nov 15, 2012
GAZA (Reuters) - A Hamas rocket killed three Israelis north of the Gaza Strip on Thursday, drawing first blood from Israel as the Palestinian death toll rose to 13 and the military showdown lurched closer to all-out war.

Israeli warplanes bombed targets in and around Gaza city, where tall buildings trembled and thick plumes of smoke and dust furled into the sky.
The Palestinian Islamist group claimed it had fired a one-tonne, Iranian-made Fajr 5 rocket at Tel Aviv in what would be a major escalation. But there was no reported impact in the Israeli metropolis 50 km (30 miles) north of the enclave.

Israel's sworn enemy Iran, which supports and arms Hamas, condemned the offensive begun by the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) as "organized terrorism".
Israel was more concerned about the mood in Egypt, whose new Islamist government brokered a truce between the two sides on Tuesday only to see it shattered a day later when Israel assassinated the top Hamas military commander.

Hamas is an offshoot of the Muslim Brotherhood which now controls Egypt, Israel's most powerful Arab neighbor and a crucial partner in the 1979 peace treaty that stands between fragile stability and regional chaos.
Cairo condemned the offensive and recalled its ambassador to Israel. Israel's ambassador left Cairo on what was called a routine home visit and Israel said its embassy would stay open.
DAY TWO
Israel's Iron Dome interceptor system shot down dozens of some 130 rockets fired from Gaza in the first few hours of daylight on day two of Operation Pillars of Defense, the army said.
But one of those that got through caught its victims before they could reach the blast shelters that are everywhere in the Negev region, prey to sporadic Palestinian rocket attacks from Gaza for the past five years.
Israeli police said the three died when a rocket hit a four-story building in the town of Kiryat Malachi, some 25 km (15 miles) north of Gaza. They were the first Israeli fatalities of the latest conflict to hit the coastal region.

Israel on Wednesday assassinated Hamas's military mastermind Ahmed Al-Jaabari and shelled the enclave from the land, sea and air, killing 13 people, including five militants, three children and a pregnant woman. More than 100 were wounded.
At his funeral on Thursday, supporters fired guns in the air celebrating news of the Israeli deaths, to chants for Jaabari of "You have won."
The U.N. Security Council held an emergency meeting late on Wednesday to discuss the Israeli assault. It called for a halt to the violence, but took no action.
Oil prices rose more than $1 in response on Wednesday.

Expecting days or more of fighting, Israel warned Hamas that all its men were targets. Israeli warplanes dropped leaflets in Gaza telling residents to keep their distance from militants and Hamas facilities.

"The leaflets stress that Hamas is dragging the region toward violence, and that the IDF is prepared to defend the residents of the State of Israel until quiet is restored to the region," the military said in a statement.
The United States condemned Hamas, shunned by the West as an obstacle to peace for its refusal to renounce violence and recognize Israel.
"There is no justification for the violence that Hamas and other terrorist organizations are employing against the people of Israel," said Mark Toner, deputy State Department spokesman.

Hamas has said the killing of its top commander would "open the gates of hell" for Israel. It also appealed to neighboring Egypt to halt the "barbaric" assault.
"PILLAR OF DEFENCE"
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, whom opinion polls favor for victory in a January 22 general election, said on Wednesday the Gaza operation could be stepped up.

His cabinet has granted authorization for the mobilization of military reserves if required to press the offensive, dubbed "Pillar of Defense" in English and "Pillar of Cloud" in Hebrew after the Israelites' divine sign of deliverance in Exodus.
Israel says it has already destroyed much of Gaza's longer-range rocket stockpiles, an assertion seemingly confirmed when Hamas claims of hits on ambitious targets such as Tel Aviv, Ashdod and Israeli naval craft proved unfounded.

The flare-up on Israel's southern front came in a week when, up north, it fired at Syrian artillery positions it said had shot into the Israeli-annexed Golan Heights amid a civil war in Syria that has brought renewed instability to Lebanon next door.

A second Gaza war has loomed on the horizon for months as waves of Palestinian rocket attacks and Israeli strikes grew increasingly more intense and frequent.
Israel's Operation Cast Lead in 2008-2009 began with a week of air attacks and shelling, followed by a land invasion of the blockaded coastal strip, sealed off at sea by the Israeli navy. Some 1,400 Palestinians were killed and 13 Israelis died.
Hamas has been emboldened by the Islamist rise to power in Egypt, viewing President Mohamed Mursi as a "safety net" who will not permit a second Israeli thrashing of Gaza, home to 1.7 million Palestinians.

Gaza has an estimated 35,000 Palestinian fighters, no match for Israel's F-16 fighter-bombers, Apache helicopter gunships, Merkava tanks and other modern weapons systems in the hands of a conscript force of 175,000, with 450,000 in reserve.
(Additional reporting by Ari Rabinovitch; Writing by Douglas Hamilton; editing by Janet McBride)

http://news.yahoo.com/israel-hammers-hamas-gaza-offensive-004808421.html
Re: Hamas Military Chief Killed In Israeli Airstrike, War Says Hamas!!! by garsul: 12:11pm On Nov 15, 2012
pro01: I love and support Israel unconditionally and irrevocably. Theirs is a just cause, and I'll always be a fan and practitioner of their brand of righteous vengeance. You don't hit someone first and expect him to smile back at you or cry to papa. These Islamic maggots in the Arab world are determined to wipe Israel off the map. Thankfully, Israel is more than capable of putting them in their place and defending itself. The fact that Israel has managed to survive with minimal damage in the middle of such a hostile environment speaks volumes about the country's capability and divine blessing.

I endorse the termination of that Hamas terrorist. Hopefully, more of those pests would be terminated in similar manner. If the likes of Egypt, Iran, Syria, and other hostile Arab dogs want to intervene, no problem. . . the embarrassing Six Day War would repeat itself. Israel is more than capable of taking them all on alone simultaneously, even without help from the U.S.

God bless Israel.

how would you like this scenario. because of the problems that Fulani people are having in Plateau state and other parts of Nigeria, the Nigerian state decides based on some book written by othman danfodio that the a grassland in the Anambra State or Obudu Cattle ranch belonged to the fulanis and were expelled some 200yrs ago, therefore, using the might of the Nigerian Army and the support of some world powers, a homeland is created for Fulanis in Obudu or a grassland in Anambra, and all natives Ibos or Calabar people of that place expelled to make room for the fulanis. do the Ibo or Calabar have a right through whatever means to defend themselves and take back their homeland. please sincerely ask your conscience

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hamas Military Chief Killed In Israeli Airstrike, War Says Hamas!!! by honeric01(m): 12:47pm On Nov 15, 2012
garsul:

how would you like this scenario. because of the problems that Fulani people are having in Plateau state and other parts of Nigeria, the Nigerian state decides based on some book written by othman danfodio that the a grassland in the Anambra State or Obudu Cattle ranch belonged to the fulanis and were expelled some 200yrs ago, therefore, using the might of the Nigerian Army and the support of some world powers, a homeland is created for Fulanis in Obudu or a grassland in Anambra, and all natives Ibos or Calabar people of that place expelled to make room for the fulanis. do the Ibo or Calabar have a right through whatever means to defend themselves and take back their homeland. please sincerely ask your conscience

And you think you will get a comprehensive/sincere answer? well she, anything can happen, let's wait and see.
Re: Hamas Military Chief Killed In Israeli Airstrike, War Says Hamas!!! by jman77(m): 1:01pm On Nov 15, 2012
babsG: can someone tell me why the west or america that preaches peace and freedom, is silent on the injustice,genocide and terrorism that isreal is doing to muslims in palestine? where is the freedom of worship? why has being a muslim become an offence.
when their planes strike civilian women and children its no news, but if a frustrated muslim whose whole family have been killed by them throws a stone at their tanks he is arrested for terrorism.
Do you know there are more than ten thousand palestinian muslims in isreali's prison.
These injustices are the reasons they go on suicide missions.
i will gladly do the same if i find myself in their shoes.
i wished moses did not save them from egypt.
i wished they were left to the live and die as the slaves they were.
i wished Adolf hitler had succeded in killing the whole Jews(sick rats) before he died.
i wish one day God will expose their plots.
guy! You're very sick,just go and do your useless aluwalahh and see if that will stop isreal from crushing them.
Re: Hamas Military Chief Killed In Israeli Airstrike, War Says Hamas!!! by honeric01(m): 1:06pm On Nov 15, 2012
Builder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPeuDC1nH6U&feature=my_liked_videos&list=LLNRMYqpb4IQGBxW1Odmq4bA

Young American exposes the jewish state for what it really is and suffered the worst treatment as he admitted the truth in the face of the source of terrorism in the world. Welcome to democratic isreal where freedom of speech is only free if you support the brutal oppression, occupation and murder of palestines

WHAT IS DEMOCRACY AGAIN? SOMEONE SHOULD REMIND ME WHAT IT STANDS FOR. angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

See how they maltreated the poor boy because he said the bitter truth!
Re: Hamas Military Chief Killed In Israeli Airstrike, War Says Hamas!!! by Wadeoye(m): 1:14pm On Nov 15, 2012
honeric01:

Abeg how we wan take know which side God dey? was God also on the side of Hitler when he was murdering the Jews since its seems those who bully are seen as the one with God's blessings.

You dont know how Igbo think... They are very primitive in everything they do including reasoning.
Re: Hamas Military Chief Killed In Israeli Airstrike, War Says Hamas!!! by Wadeoye(m): 1:21pm On Nov 15, 2012
hotwax:

When prophet dauda A̶̲̥̅​.k.A̶̲̥̅​ king David found Jerusalem. There was no language called "arabic" then.
Arab is A̶̲̥̅​ modern days language formed from aramaic.

Anabi dauda is A̶̲̥̅​ jew. He spoke hebrew throughout his life. How come jews rename Jerusalem again.

Muslims are fraudsters!

Look at this man... And how does that change the fact that there are more muslims in Isreal than Christians? Christian population about 10% or less even in Jerusalem. Or, is Judaism now Christianity?
Re: Hamas Military Chief Killed In Israeli Airstrike, War Says Hamas!!! by Josboy2: 1:53pm On Nov 15, 2012
Hamas' leader head for firing rockets into Israel.That is the only best treatment for terrorists.They think say Israel na naija wey dem go de kill people for church without meaningful retaliation.I luv Israel jo.

1 Like

Re: Hamas Military Chief Killed In Israeli Airstrike, War Says Hamas!!! by hotwax: 2:00pm On Nov 15, 2012
Look at this man... And how does that change the fact that there are more muslims in Isreal than Christians? Christian population about 10% or less even in Jerusalem. Or, is Judaism now Christianity?

Reading A̶̲̥̅​ simple sentence can be A̶̲̥̅​ problem atimes.
Did I mention christian as owners of Jerusalem.

I said "anabi Dauda" who found Jerusalem was Jew and not arab.

Did that hurt you? Sorry. But that's the fact.

Jews and christians are brothers and sisters.

Bible came from torah "the book of the prophet" which Judaism are using.

Jews just don't believe Jesus is God. And this is true. Christians call Jesus "God". Jews pray to Jehovay" "Yaweh" in sinagogue. They don't agree with the bible 70pcent. And they are not the only one.

Some christians too don't e.g Jehovah witness.

Christians and Jews will always be brothers either you like it or not.

Palestine/muslims are the one occupying jewish land.
The whole world stoodby why this glaring scam is going on.
Re: Hamas Military Chief Killed In Israeli Airstrike, War Says Hamas!!! by Horus(m): 2:04pm On Nov 15, 2012
honeric01: [size=18pt]When are you people going to wake up?

Those calling Israel a christian country are ignorant

ISRAEL IS MAJORLY FOR JUDAISM AND ISLAM, IF YOU THINK I AM LYING, PROVE ME WRONG, YOU'LL HARDLY SEE CHURCHES IN PUBLIC PLACES, MOSTLY MOSQUES AND SYNAGOGUES.
[/size]

You are right, and they should also know that many palestinians are Christians.

1 Like

Re: Hamas Military Chief Killed In Israeli Airstrike, War Says Hamas!!! by odehaj: 2:05pm On Nov 15, 2012
rbjimoh: . @Erics, read this. When someone asked me recently how I came into the fold of Islam, I was taken aback and a bit surprised. For I have never thought of my coming into Islam as having one critical turning point. When did I first question Catholicism? When did I first want to become a Muslim? The answers to these questions and many others require more thought than I could have ever imagined. To really anwer these questions I have to start at the very beginning so that you understand the point to where I got in my life that led me to finally accept the truth of Islam. I became a Muslim at the age of 67, and I thank God that He has blessed me to become a believer in Islam. “Those whom Allah (in His plan) wills to guide,- He opens their breast to Islam; those whom He wills to leave straying,- He makes their breast close and constricted, as if they had to climb up to the skies: thus does Allah (heap) the penalty on those who refuse to believe.” (Quran 6: 125)
I was raised in a strict Roman Catholic home, the middle daughter of three children. My father worked hard and long every day. He would leave early in the morning each day and would return late at night. All of this so that my mother could stay home and take care of my sisters and me. One very sad and unfortunate day my mother told us that my father had been in a car accident. He passed away suddenly and our whole world turned upside down. With all the changes that were taking place, my mother told us that she would now have to go back to work. My mother, who had once been a nurse, was now forced to work to support us. She found a job in the local hospital, many times working two shifts. But with this newfound responsibility, my mother was no longer able to oversee our upbringing. And although she sent us to Catholic school, her job kept her from keeping a watchful eye on her daughters.
So, with much time to pass and spend, I found myself spending time with my friends at the local cafes. It was there that I met a very nice Musliman man who later became my husband. My mother did not know that I was spending time with this man. In fact, when I told her that I was in love and wanted to get married, she warned that we were from different backgrounds and that we would eventually have problems. She stated that if there were ever children in our future, problems over religion would undoubtedly develop. At twenty years old, I could not imagine that we would have any problems in our marriage. I was so in love and felt so happy that someone would be taking care of me. My husband was not a very religious man at that time, and deep down I felt that I would be able to get him to convert to Catholicism. As for us not having the same ethnic background, I considered myself more open-minded and was excited to be embracing a new culture.
Everything seemed to be going along so perfectly for the next several years. We were happy and not once did culture or religion ever cause us any problems. God blessed us with a beautiful son and then several years later with a beautiful daughter. Still, we went along with our lives and I even began taking my children to church with me. My husband never prevented me from attending weekly Sunday mass. However, after a few times of my taking our children to church, that is when he spoke to me about his not wanting the children to attend church. Frankly, I was angry and upset. “But why not,” I objected. “Any religion is better than none,” I argued. I really could not understand the harm in taking them to church. Up until this point, we had never even discussed religion. In fact, I had never even questioned that there could even be a different religion than Catholicism. I was born a Catholic and thought that Catholicism was the right religion. For explanations that I can’t even put a finger on, it seemed like from this day on, so many problems were now evident. We argued all the time— about everything and everyone. Now, little things became a big deal. Religion became an arguing point between us. The differences in our cultures became something to argue about. We argued about in-laws and most unfortunately, we argued on the upbringing of our children. Everything that my mother warned us about was now coming true.
The only peace and harmony that was now between us was the wisdom, sincerity, concern and love my husband’s father, my father-in-law, had for our marriage. My father-in-law loved his son and grandchildren, yet also genuinely loved me as a daughter. He was a very religious and devout Muslim and was a very wise man. At that time, because I was not surrounded with Islam, my father-in law was the first introduction into Islam I had. He prayed every prayer, fasted during the month of Ramadan, and was very generous to the poor. I could feel his connection to God. In fact, my father-in-law was so kind to the needy that every day after coming home from the dhur prayer at the mosque, he would invite any needy person home to eat lunch with. This was every single day. Up until his death at the age of 95, relatives remembered that he had continued with this habit.
My father-in-law did not like the arguing between my husband and me and counseled us to find a solution before the children suffered as a result of our fighting. He tried desperately to help us find a solution. He warned his son to allow me room to practice my religion, but it was no longer about religion anymore. I felt frustrated and desired to take a break. When I asked my husband for a separation, he agreed that perhaps it was the best thing for our marriage. You know the saying, “Absence makes the heart grow fonder.” Well, not in our case. In fact, the absence made our hearts grow further apart. After the separation, we both wanted a permanent separation and agreed on a divorce. Although I desperately wanted my children to live with me, we both felt that it would be better for the children to be raised by their father. He was in a much better position, financially, to raise them and give them many comforts; something I was not prepared to give. How I longed for them every night. I moved back with my mother and continued seeing my children every weekend. My ex-husband would drop off our children on Friday afternoons and pick them up early Sunday mornings. Although this arrangement hurt, it was better than nothing.
Each night before going to bed, I would read from the Bible. When my children were visiting me, I would read them a passage regardless of whether my children understood or not. After reading a passage, one night I would seek help from Jesus, the next night from the angels, the next night from the different saints, the next night from the Virgin Mary. But one night we had no one else to ask, I had run out of Saints. So I said ‘ now we’re going to ask God’. My son said ‘Okay, now who is God?’ I said ‘He’s the one who created you, who created me. He is forever our neighbor’. So he was pondering, he was thinking about those words. To my explanation, I rubbed my cross again. I said ‘now thank God’. He looked at the cross and said ‘Mamma, who is this?’ I said ‘This is God. He’s the son of God’. He said ‘You just told me a minute ago that God is forever. How come this one is dead?’ I never, never in my whole life realized that fact. He asked me where does this god come from? And I said, he came from the womb of Mary, of the Virgin Mary. He said ‘Oh, so he was born sometime before’. I said ‘well, yes’. But then he said ‘But you told me that he’s forever. He never dies and he’s never born. My son, who was now about eight, asked me directly, “Mama, why don’t you just ask God for help?“ I was surprised and stunned and remember feeling a bit shocked that he would question my religion. I told him that I also ask God. Little did I know that this son of mine would grow up to be a constant thorn in my side, always reminding me about the need to worship the One, True God. Thank God.
I ended up remarring a few years later and relocated to Australia with my new husband. My ex- husband, who had also remarried, moved his family to Saudi Arabia. I longed to see my children but eventually it was in Italy where I started a new family and became the mother to three more daughters. Still, every single night I would pray, “In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost.“ The years passed quickly and busily. I was so excited one summer; my son and daughter would be coming to visit me. So many things raced through my mind. Would they be happy to see me after such a long absensce? What would we talk about? I prayed for help. All of my fears evaporated the first time I laid eyes on my children at the airport. There was an instant bond between mother and children and it was if little time had elasped. My son was the more vocal of the two. He made sure to remind me that they do not eat pork, nor could they eat foods that contained alcolhol. I told him that I remember that about his religion. I also told him that I also do not eat pork, nor drank alcolhol, a habit that remained from the time I was married to his father. As for the wine, well, I would make sure to stop cooking with it while they were home with me.
We had a beautiful summer, getting to know each other, them getting to know their new sisters, pickinicking, going on outings, swimming. I did not want it to end. But I knew that they had their life back in Saudi Arabia and they needed to get back. I asked my daughter the dreaded question of how her step-mother treated her, and I honestly felt happiness when she said she was treated like a daughter.
My children visited me together two more times after that summer. When my son turned 21, he came to live with me for 6 months. We would argue religion—boy, would we argue religion! My son and I are somewhat similar in personality, but we do have our differences – and very obvious ones at that! Whilst I’m very hot tempered in disputes, my son is a lot cooler, so he tends to maintain a sense of calm while I’m borderline crazy! Despite this clash, I believe it works in our favor in that we can find balance within our discussion. We’re very much alike in that we are loving, generous and helpful people. What I admire most about my son is his dedication to almost everything he does. He is a sweet, gentle person, but has strong ethics and aims to achieve whatever he puts his mind to, which I respect a lot. I admire his ability to keep a level head in the most stressful of situations. He’s very logical and won’t dwell too long over a problem. He just attempts to find solutions and neutralize situations as much as possible. I continued to pray that my son would find it in his heart to convert to Catholicism. I so badly wished that he would become a priest—I felt he would make a fine preacher. He was a good boy, and God-fearing at that. Good qualification for the Priesthood. When I once told him that he would make a wonderful priest, my son smiled and replied that it would be more likely that his mother would After 6 months, though, my son expressed desire to leave for the United States. He eventually settled in America and made a home in Miami, Florida. Meanwhile, I became a widow with one teenager daughter left in the house. My son really wanted for me to join him in America, so I left to the States with my 17-year-old daughter. We very much liked it in America and my daughter quickly started to make a life for herself. Nothing had changed for my son and me—we continued talking about Catholicism and Islam and neither one of us would ‘give up‘. Sometimes, when the subject of the Trinity came up and I could not find any answers or rebuttal to him, I would just put up my hand and walk away. I would get very angry for what I saw was his attacking my religion.
“Why can’t you be like everyone else,“ I asked. “Other Muslims accept me and do not try to convert me.“ “I’m not like everyone else,“ he answered. “I love you. I am your son and I want you to go to Paradise.“ I told him that I am going to Paradise—I am a good, honest woman, who doesn’t lie, steal, or cheat.“ My son answered, “These things are neccessary and helpful in this wordly life, however in the Quran it is stated many times that Allah does not forgive Shirk (Polytheism). The Quran says that the ONLY sin that God will not forgive is associating partners with Him, but He forgives anything else to whom He wills.” He begged me to read and learn and discover Islam. Books were brought so that I might open my mind. I refused. Born a Catholic, I will die a Catholic.
For the next 10 years, I remained living near my son, his wife, and family. I desired, though, to also spend some time with my daughter, who was still living in Saudi Arabia. It wasn’t easy to get a visa. My son joked that if I just accepted Islam, that would be the visa to enter Saudi Arabia; for I would then be able to get an Umrah visa. I told him sternly that I wasn’t a Muslim. After much hard work and a few connections, I was given a visitor‘s visa to visit my daughter, who was now the mother of three children. Before leaving, my son held me in a bear hug, and told me how much he loved me, how badly he wanted Paradise for me. He then went on to say how he had everything he had wanted in this life, except for a Mother who was a Muslim. He told me that he prayed to God (Allah) every single day that He (SWT) would change my heart to accept Islam. I told him that that would never happen.
1. I visited my daughter in Saudi Arabia and fell in love with the country, the weather, and the people. I didn’t want to leave after the 6 months so I requested an extension. I would hear the athan (call to prayer) 5 times a day and would see the faithful ones close their shops and walk off to prayer. Although that was very touching, I continued reading from my Bible every morning and evening and would constantly say the rosary. Not once did my daughter or any other Muslim person ever speak to me about Islam or try to get me to convert. They respected me and allowed me to practice my religion.
My son was coming to Saudi Arabia to visit me. I was so happy—I had missed him so. No sooner did he come was he again after me, talking religion and the Oneness of God. I was angry. I told him that I have been in Saudi Arabia for over one year and not once has anyone ever spoken about religion to me. And he, on his second night here, is so quick to begin the preaching. He apologized and again told me how much he wanted me to accept Islam. I again told him that I something that just did not make any logical sense. He reminded me that even I had questions about this. I told him that everything does not have to make sense—you just have to have faith. He seemed like he accepted this answer and I was happy that I finally won a discussion on religion. My son then told me to explain the miracle of Jesus to him. Aha, I thought! I am finally getting somewhere. I explained the miracle birth of Jesus, the Virgin Mary, Jesus dying for our sins, God breathing His Spirit in him, Jesus as God, Jesus as the Son of God. He was quiet the entire time I was talking—no rebuttal—my son, quiet? He then quietly asked, “Mamma, if Jesus died for our sins on a Friday, and then as you say, he was resurrected three days later on a Sunday, then who ruled the world for those three days? Mamma, explain that to me?” I thought about the logic to this question and at that moment, I knew that it did not make any sense.
I said, “Jesus was the son of God. Jesus and God are one and the same. My son replied, “Cows have calves; little cows. Cats have kittens; little cats. Humans have children; little humans. When God has a son, what is he? A little God? If so, then do you have two Gods?” Then he asked, “Mama, can you ever become a God?” What a ridiculous question I told him. Humans can never be a God. (Now, I was really getting angry) He then asked, “Was Jesus a human being?” I replied, “Yes.” He then said “Therefore, he could never be God.” The claim that God became man is also an absurdity. It is not befitting of God to take on human characteristics because it means that the Creator has become His creation. However, the creation is a product of the creative act of the Creator. If the Creator became His creation, it would mean that the Creator created Himself, which is an obvious absurdity. To be created, He would first have to not exist, and, if He did not exist, how could He then create? Furthermore, if He were created, it would mean that He had a beginning, which also contradicts His being eternal. By definition creation is in need of a creator. For created beings to exist they must have a creator to bring them into existence.God cannot need a creator because God is the Creator. Thus, there is an obvious contradiction in terms. The claim that God became His creation implies that He would need a creator, which is a ludicrous concept. It contradicts the fundamental concept of God being uncreated, needing no creator and being the Creator. Knowing I did not have an answer to him, I replied, “Let me think about the answer.”
That evening, I thought long and hard about what my son said. The idea that Jesus as the son of God did not make sense to me anymore. I also could not accept the fact as Jesus and God being one in the same. Before going to sleep that night, my son told me to pray to God before going to sleep and ask Him alone to guide me to the right path. I promised my son that I would sincerely supplicate to God for the anwer. I went to my room and read from the book my son had given me. Next, I opened the Holy Quran and began to read. It was if something had been lifted from my heart. I felt different. I saw the truth in Islam. What had I been fighting against all these years?
That night I prayed to God alone—not to Jesus, not to Mary, not to the angels or saints or holy spirit. Just to God I cried and asked for guidance. I prayed that if Islam was the right choice to please change my heart and mind. I went to sleep and the next morning I woke up and announced to my son that I was ready to accept Islam. He was astonished. We both began to cry. My daughter and granddaughter were called out and watched as I submitted, “There is no God except Allah and Muhammad (pbuh) is His Messenger and Last Prophet.“ I felt a changed woman. I was happy, as if someone had lifted a veil of darkness from my heart. Everyone who knew me couldn’t believe that I had converted. Sometimes I couldn’t even believe it! But Islam felt so right, so peaceful, so serene!
After my son left back to the states, I learned how to recite Surah-al-Fatiha in Arabic and have since learned how to perform the prayers. I continued with life as before; except now I am a Muslim. I always loved attending family gatherings with my daughter, and social events as well. I would attend family and friends weddings, henna parties, baby showers (aqiqah) and the gatherings when someone died. About 6 months after I had converted to Islam, I was at a funeral gathering that readlly touched my heart and reinforced what a beautiful religion Islam is. A young boy had died from a sickness. As my daughter was getting ready to leave for the condolences, I asked her if she knew the family well. She answered that she did not. “Then why go?“ I asked. “Because the family is grieving, and it is my duty in Islam to go and perhaps offer any support that I can.“ I decided to dress and go with her. I went along with my daughter to pay condolences to the boy’s family and was overwhelmed at the number of people in attendance. I was surprised and touched that so many people came to give the family support. All I could think of as I saw the family grieving was what a beautiful religion Islam was that so many people felt it their responsibility to give their support. And that one event, where Muslims were showing an outpoor of sympathy is another moment that proved the beauty of Islam.
I have been a Muslim for three years now, Alhamdullilah. Since that time, I have performed Umrah twice with my son and daughter. My son, daughter and I visited the Kabaah and the Holy Prophet’s Mosque in Madinah. I just celebrated my 70th birthday Alhumdullilah. Sometimes I think back to all the hardship and heartache that I must have caused my son, but my son was extremelly happy to serve me by also being a means to bring me to Islam. He then said, that the Prophet (SAW) told a person, “ Paradise lies under the feet of mothers". The meaning of the Hadith is that you should serve your mother and take good care of her. It is for sure by being at my feet that there was paradise for both of us. I also wonder if my daughter would have applied a little pressure on me, I might have become a Muslim sooner. But my son reminded me that Allah is the best of planners. And it is only He (SWT) that can give a person Hidaya (Guidance). “ Indeed it is not such that you can guide whomever you love, but Allah guides whomever He wills. “ (Quran 28:56). The best thing that Allah had honored me is by guiding me to the path of Islam and making me a Muslim, and inshAllah enter together with my son in Paradise. “. Ameen
www.islamicbulletin.com
I took my precious time to read through this story you culled from islambulletin.Firstly the woman had a little knowledge about the Almighty God,the Holy Spirit&Jesus,the Christ.Though,its an old story you guys keep recycling. Its sooo unfortunate that she is LOST,she failed her children as well.The Bible says (Prov.22:6) "train a child in a way he should go &if he grow he will not depart from it".Her parents failed to train her in d way of d Lord&she in turn failed her children.May God have mercy on her soul if she dies a Muslim&go to hell.

1 Like

Re: Hamas Military Chief Killed In Israeli Airstrike, War Says Hamas!!! by Nobody: 3:14pm On Nov 15, 2012
all4naija: Now that they didn't fold hands and start launching rockets into Israel solves the problem or aggravates it the more?! Does Hamas represent the Palestinian people if we are to go by that your sentimental logic?! Please, let the innocent being killed by Israelis due to Palestinian Hamas actions stop. The occupation has not shifted more than the former border just that Hamas like to cause troubles in the midst of finding solutions.

Whatsoever ways you guys see it there is need to stop the rockets so that peace plan can continue to be brought back to the table! Spare me this your lopsided assertion!

Even in the times when there was relative peace Isreal still continued to close all port entry to the West Bank and Gaza. Tell me would u live under a situation where u can't even fly to visit family members in a neighboring country without the permission of an occupying Isreali authority.

The former leader of the Fata movement Yasar Arafat who was a moderate Islamist and who was against violent means of resistence were under perminent house arrest.

Even when the UN asked him to adress the UN General Assembly Isreal refused and ignored the request to allow him to travel outside the West Bank.

Violence against any state or people on the grounds of religion or freedom will never solve problems but sometimes its a necessary evil to force the other side to recordnise the human and political rights of another.

Yes my friend Hamas do represent the majority of the Palestinian people in an election held few years back Hamas won the majority vote against Mahmoud Abbas's Fata movement which consiquently led to brief low key civil war as a result West Bank and Gaza was split into two different authorities.

Isreal did not recordnize the Hamas authority and refuses to negotiate with Hamas led Gaza "terrorist" movement which are the majority but would only have peace talks with the more moderate West Bank Leader Abbas.

In recent talks between the apossing sides it was agreed that inorder for negotiations to go ahead Isreal should stop the continues building of settlements on the West Bank and this was supported by the US, but Isreal made a u-turn on that agreement and continued with settlement building which consiquently led to a brakedown in US led peacetalks.

This motion is never discussed on international forums and even Isreal has refused to comment on this contentious issue even UN resolution in this regard has been ignored.

Human rights groups has continuesly condemned the treatment of Palestinian prisoners in Isreali jails yet they ignore this but claim to be a just democratic state who adheres to all human rights conventions.

Religion and the soveirgnaty of the State Of Isreal is one main problem here because exstremist on both sides are contributing factors and the other factor central to a future Palestine state is Jerusalem because Palestine wants the city as part of a future Palestine state which the Isreali's refuses to allow.

Both sides have a legitimate claim to the historic city and none of them wants to shift ground on this matter.

Isreali children can live out there dreams to the fullest yet there father's can occupy a land eligally and palestinian children don't have the right to live freely in there own country of there birth and they don't even have the right to leave the occupied land without permission but when they ressist there occupation they are labelled "terrorist" by Western nations including a few mythical religious fanatical believers/africans on this thread who claim superiority of one religion over another yet they fail to accept that all main religions Islam, Christianity, Judahism serve a common purpose that all men should love and respect thy fellow human beings.

How hipocritical from the "socalled" children of Abraham who themselfs are still haunted by the memories of extermination by that stepson of the Satan Adolph Hitler.

The Teminal Isreali Paranoia legitamate or not will one day lead to its downfall if it doesn't recordize the legitamate rights of others who don't share there religious ideology the same freedom so many of its children enjoy.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hamas Military Chief Killed In Israeli Airstrike, War Says Hamas!!! by rbjimoh: 3:22pm On Nov 15, 2012
[color=#006600][/color]
odehaj: I took my precious time to read through this story you culled from islambulletin.Firstly the woman had a little knowledge about the Almighty God,the Holy Spirit&Jesus,the Christ.Though,its an old story you guys keep recycling. Its sooo unfortunate that she is LOST,she failed her children as well.The Bible says (Prov.22:6) "train a child in a way he should go &if he grow he will not depart from it".Her parents failed to train her in d way of d Lord&she in turn failed her children.May God have mercy on her soul if she dies a Muslim&go to hell.
. @odehaj, read this provide rebuttal to it: One of my earliest childhood memories is of hearing the church bell toll for Sunday morning worship in the small, rural town in which I was raised. The Methodist Church was an old, wooden structure with a bell tower, two children's Sunday School classrooms cubbyholed behind folding, wooden doors to separate it from the sanctuary, and a choir loft that housed the Sunday school classrooms for the older children. It stood less than two blocks from my home. As the bell rang, we would come together as a family, and make our weekly pilgrimage to the church.

In that rural setting from the 1950s, the three churches in the town of about 500 were the center of community life. The local Methodist Church, to which my family belonged, sponsored ice cream socials with hand-cranked, homemade ice cream, chicken potpie dinners, and corn roasts. My family and I were always involved in all three, but each came only once a year. In addition, there was a two-week community Bible school every June, and I was a regular attendee through my eighth grade year in school. However, Sunday morning worship and Sunday school were weekly events, and I strove to keep extending my collection of perfect attendance pins and of awards for memorizing Bible verses.

By my junior high school days, the local Methodist Church had closed, and we were attending the Methodist Church in the neighboring town, which was only slightly larger than the town in which I lived. There, my thoughts first began to focus on the ministry as a personal calling. I became active in the Methodist Youth Fellowship, and eventually served as both a district and a conference officer. I also became the regular "preacher" during the annual Youth Sunday service.

My preaching began to draw community-wide attention, and before long I was occasionally filling pulpits at other churches, at a nursing home, and at various church-affiliated youth and ladies groups, where I typically set attendance records.

By age 17, when I began my freshman year at Harvard College, my decision to enter the ministry had solidified. During my freshman year, I enrolled in a two-semester course in comparative religion, which was taught by Wilfred Cantwell Smith, whose specific area of expertise was Islam. During that course, I gave far less attention to Islam, than I did to other religions, such as Hinduism and Buddhism, as the latter two seemed so much more esoteric and strange to me. In contrast, Islam appeared to be somewhat similar to my own Christianity. As such, I didn't concentrate on it as much as I probably should have, although I can remember writing a term paper for the course on the concept of revelation in the Qur'an. Nonetheless, as the course was one of rigorous academic standards and demands, I did acquire a small library of about a half dozen books on Islam, all of which were written by non-Muslims, and all of which were to serve me in good stead 25 years later. I also acquired two different English translations of the meaning of the Qur'an, which I read at the time.

That spring, Harvard named me a Hollis Scholar, signifying that I was one of the top pre-theology students in the college. The summer between my freshman and sophomore years at Harvard, I worked as a youth minister at a fairly large United Methodist Church. The following summer, I obtained my License to Preach from the United Methodist Church. Upon graduating from Harvard College in 1971, I enrolled at the Harvard Divinity School, and there obtained my Master of Divinity degree in 1974, having been previously ordained into the Deaconate of the United Methodist Church in 1972, and having previously received a Stewart Scholarship from the United Methodist Church as a supplement to my Harvard Divinity School scholarships. During my seminary education, I also completed a two-year externship program as a hospital chaplain at Peter Bent Brigham Hospital in Boston. Following graduation from Harvard Divinity School, I spent the summer as the minister of two United Methodist churches in rural Kansas, where attendance soared to heights not seen in those churches for several years.

Struggle for Personal Integrity
"I became increasingly concerned about the loss of religiousness in American society at large. Religiousness is a living, breathing spirituality and morality within individuals, and should not be confused with religiosity, which is concerned with the rites, rituals, and formalized creeds of some organized entity, e.g. the church. American culture increasingly appeared to have lost its moral and religious compass ... [It] was becoming a morally bankrupt institution, and I was feeling quite alone in my personal religious vigil."
Seen from the outside, I was a very promising young minister, who had received an excellent education, drew large crowds to the Sunday morning worship service, and had been successful at every stop along the ministerial path. However, seen from the inside, I was fighting a constant war to maintain my personal integrity in the face of my ministerial responsibilities. This war was far removed from the ones presumably fought by some later televangelists in unsuccessfully trying to maintain personal sexual morality. Likewise, it was a far different war than those fought by the headline-grabbing pedophilic priests of the current moment. However, my struggle to maintain personal integrity may be the most common one encountered by the better-educated members of the ministry.

There is some irony in the fact that the supposedly best, brightest, and most idealistic of ministers-to-be are selected for the very best of seminary education, e.g. that offered at that time at the Harvard Divinity School. The irony is that, given such an education, the seminarian is exposed to as much of the actual historical truth as is known about: 1) the formation of the early, "mainstream" church, and how it was shaped by geopolitical considerations; 2) the "original" reading of various Biblical texts, many of which are in sharp contrast to what most Christians read when they pick up their Bible, although gradually some of this information is being incorporated into newer and better translations; 3) the evolution of such concepts as a triune godhead and the "sonship" of Jesus, peace be upon him; 4) the non-religious considerations that underlie many Christian creeds and doctrines; 5) the existence of those early churches and Christian movements which never accepted the concept of a triune godhead, and which never accepted the concept of the divinity of Jesus, peace be upon him; and 6) etc. (Some of these fruits of my seminary education are recounted in more detail in my recent book, The Cross and the Crescent: An Interfaith Dialogue between Christianity and Islam, Amana Publications, 2001.)

As such, it is no real wonder that almost a majority of such seminary graduates leave seminary, not to "fill pulpits", where they would be asked to preach that which they know is not true, but to enter the various counseling professions. Such was also the case for me, as I went on to earn a master's and doctorate in clinical psychology. I continued to call myself a Christian, because that was a needed bit of self-identity, and because I was, after all, an ordained minister, even though my full time job was as a mental health professional. However, my seminary education had taken care of any belief I might have had regarding a triune godhead or the divinity of Jesus, peace be upon him. (Polls regularly reveal that ministers are less likely to believe these and other dogmas of the church than are the laity they serve, with ministers more likely to understand such terms as "son of God" metaphorically, while their parishioners understand it literally.) I thus became a "Christmas and Easter Christian", attending church very sporadically, and then gritting my teeth and biting my tongue as I listened to sermons espousing that which I knew was not the case.

None of the above should be taken to imply that I was any less religious or spiritually oriented than I had once been. I prayed regularly, my belief in a supreme deity remained solid and secure, and I conducted my personal life in line with the ethics I had once been taught in church and Sunday school. I simply knew better than to buy into the man-made dogmas and articles of faith of the organized church, which were so heavily laden with the pagan influences, polytheistic notions, and geo-political considerations of a bygone era.

As the years passed by, I became increasingly concerned about the loss of religiousness in American society at large. Religiousness is a living, breathing spirituality and morality within individuals, and should not be confused with religiosity, which is concerned with the rites, rituals, and formalized creeds of some organized entity, e.g. the church. American culture increasingly appeared to have lost its moral and religious compass. Two out of every three marriages ended in divorce; violence was becoming an increasingly inherent part of our schools and our roads; self-responsibility was on the wane; self-discipline was being submerged by a "if it feels good, do it" morality; various Christian leaders and institutions were being swamped by sexual and financial scandals; and emotions justified behavior, however odious it might be. American culture was becoming a morally bankrupt institution, and I was feeling quite alone in my personal religious vigil.

Weaving Different Threads into A Single Strand
"My personal values and sense of morality were much more in keeping with my Muslim friends than with the "Christian" society around me. ... my nostalgic yearning for the type of community in which I had been raised was finding gratification in the Muslim community. American society might be morally bankrupt, but that did not appear to be the case for that part of the Muslim community with which I had had contact. Marriages were stable, spouses were committed to each other, and honesty, integrity, self-responsibility, and family values were emphasized. My wife and I had attempted to live our lives that same way, but for several years I had felt that we were doing so in the context of a moral vacuum. The Muslim community appeared to be different."
It was at this juncture that I began to come into contact with the local Muslim community. For some years before, my wife and I had been actively involved in doing research on the history of the Arabian horse. Eventually, in order to secure translations of various Arabic documents, this research brought us into contact with Arab Americans who happened to be Muslims. Our first such contact was with Jamal in the summer of 1991.

After an initial telephone conversation, Jamal visited our home, and offered to do some translations for us, and to help guide us through the history of the Arabian horse in the Middle East. Before Jamal left that afternoon, he asked if he might: use our bathroom to wash before saying his scheduled prayers; and borrow a piece of newspaper to use as a prayer rug, so he could say his scheduled prayers before leaving our house. We, of course, obliged, but wondered if there was something more appropriate that we could give him to use than a newspaper. Without our ever realizing it at the time, Jamal was practicing a very beautiful form of Dawa (preaching or exhortation). He made no comment about the fact that we were not Muslims, and he didn't preach anything to us about his religious beliefs. He "merely" presented us with his example, an example that spoke volumes, if one were willing to be receptive to the lesson.

Over the next 16 months, contact with Jamal slowly increased in frequency, until it was occurring on a biweekly to weekly basis. During these visits, Jamal never preached to me about Islam, never questioned me about my own religious beliefs or convictions, and never verbally suggested that I become a Muslim. However, I was beginning to learn a lot. First, there was the constant behavioral example of Jamal observing his scheduled prayers. Second, there was the behavioral example of how Jamal conducted his daily life in a highly moral and ethical manner, both in his business world and in his social world. Third, there was the behavioral example of how Jamal interacted with his two children. For my wife, Jamal's wife provided a similar example. Fourth, always within the framework of helping me to understand Arabian horse history in the Middle East, Jamal began to share with me: 1) stories from Arab and Islamic history; 2) sayings of the Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him; and 3) Qur'anic verses and their contextual meaning. In point of fact, our every visit now included at least a 30 minute conversation centered on some aspect of Islam, but always presented in terms of helping me intellectually understand the Islamic context of Arabian horse history. I was never told "this is the way things are", I was merely told "this is what Muslims typically believe". Since I wasn't being "preached to", and since Jamal never inquired as to my own beliefs, I didn't need to bother attempting to justify my own position. It was all handled as an intellectual exercise, not as proselytizing.

Gradually, Jamal began to introduce us to other Arab families in the local Muslim community. There was Wa'el and his family, Khalid and his family, and a few others. Consistently, I observed individuals and families who were living their lives on a much higher ethical plane than the American society in which we were all embedded. Maybe there was something to the practice of Islam that I had missed during my collegiate and seminary days.

By December, 1992, I was beginning to ask myself some serious questions about where I was and what I was doing. These questions were prompted by the following considerations. 1) Over the course of the prior 16 months, our social life had become increasingly centered on the Arab component of the local Muslim community. By December, probably 75% of our social life was being spent with Arab Muslims. 2) By virtue of my seminary training and education, I knew how badly the Bible had been corrupted (and often knew exactly when, where, and why), I had no belief in any triune godhead, and I had no belief in anything more than a metaphorical "sonship" of Jesus, peace be upon him. In short, while I certainly believed in God, I was as strict a monotheist as my Muslim friends. 3) My personal values and sense of morality were much more in keeping with my Muslim friends than with the "Christian" society around me. After all, I had the non-confrontational examples of Jamal, Khalid, and Wa'el as illustrations. In short, my nostalgic yearning for the type of community in which I had been raised was finding gratification in the Muslim community. American society might be morally bankrupt, but that did not appear to be the case for that part of the Muslim community with which I had had contact. Marriages were stable, spouses were committed to each other, and honesty, integrity, self-responsibility, and family values were emphasized. My wife and I had attempted to live our lives that same way, but for several years I had felt that we were doing so in the context of a moral vacuum. The Muslim community appeared to be different.

The different threads were being woven together into a single strand. Arabian horses, my childhood upbringing, my foray into the Christian ministry and my seminary education, my nostalgic yearnings for a moral society, and my contact with the Muslim community were becoming intricately intertwined. My self-questioning came to a head when I finally got around to asking myself exactly what separated me from the beliefs of my Muslim friends. I suppose that I could have raised that question with Jamal or with Khalid, but I wasn't ready to take that step. I had never discussed my own religious beliefs with them, and I didn't think that I wanted to introduce that topic of conversation into our friendship. As such, I began to pull off the bookshelf all the books on Islam that I had acquired in my collegiate and seminary days. However far my own beliefs were from the traditional position of the church, and however seldom I actually attended church, I still identified myself as being a Christian, and so I turned to the works of Western scholars. That month of December, I read half a dozen or so books on Islam by Western scholars, including one biography of the Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him. Further, I began to read two different English translations of the meaning of the Qur'an. I never spoke to my Muslim friends about this personal quest of self-discovery. I never mentioned what types of books I was reading, nor ever spoke about why I was reading these books. However, occasionally I would run a very circumscribed question past one of them.

While I never spoke to my Muslim friends about those books, my wife and I had numerous conversations about what I was reading. By the last week of December of 1992, I was forced to admit to myself, that I could find no area of substantial disagreement between my own religious beliefs and the general tenets of Islam. While I was ready to acknowledge that Muhammad, peace be upon him, was a prophet of (one who spoke for or under the inspiration of) God, and while I had absolutely no difficulty affirming that there was no god besides God/Allah, glorified and exalted is He, I was still hesitating to make any decision. I could readily admit to myself that I had far more in common with Islamic beliefs as I then understood them, than I did with the traditional Christianity of the organized church. I knew only too well that I could easily confirm from my seminary training and education most of what the Qur'an had to say about Christianity, the Bible, and Jesus, peace be upon him. Nonetheless, I hesitated. Further, I rationalized my hesitation by maintaining to myself that I really didn't know the nitty-gritty details of Islam, and that my areas of agreement were confined to general concepts. As such, I continued to read, and then to re-read.

The Comfort of the Old and Familiar Identity
"One's sense of identity, of who one is, is a powerful affirmation of one's own position in the cosmos ... Changing one's basic sense of identity is a most difficult task. One's psyche tends to cling to the old and familiar, which seem more psychologically comfortable and secure than the new and unfamiliar. On a professional basis, I had the above knowledge, and used it on a daily basis. However, ironically enough, I was not yet ready to apply it to myself, and to the issue of my own hesitation surrounding my religious identity. For 43 years, my religious identity had been neatly labeled as "Christian", however many qualifications I might have added to that term over the years. Giving up that label of personal identity was no easy task. It was part and parcel of how I defined my very being."
One's sense of identity, of who one is, is a powerful affirmation of one's own position in the cosmos. In my professional practice, I had occasionally been called upon to treat certain addictive disorders, ranging from smoking, to alcoholism, to drug abuse. As a clinician, I knew that the basic physical addiction had to be overcome to create the initial abstinence. That was the easy part of treatment. As Mark Twain once said: "Quitting smoking is easy; I've done it hundreds of times". However, I also knew that the key to maintaining that abstinence over an extended time period was overcoming the client's psychological addiction, which was heavily grounded in the client's basic sense of identity, i.e. the client identified to himself that he was "a smoker", or that he was "a drinker", etc. The addictive behavior had become part and parcel of the client's basic sense of identity, of the client's basic sense of self. Changing this sense of identity was crucial to the maintenance of the psychotherapeutic "cure". This was the difficult part of treatment. Changing one's basic sense of identity is a most difficult task. One's psyche tends to cling to the old and familiar, which seem more psychologically comfortable and secure than the new and unfamiliar.

On a professional basis, I had the above knowledge, and used it on a daily basis. However, ironically enough, I was not yet ready to apply it to myself, and to the issue of my own hesitation surrounding my religious identity. For 43 years, my religious identity had been neatly labeled as "Christian", however many qualifications I might have added to that term over the years. Giving up that label of personal identity was no easy task. It was part and parcel of how I defined my very being. Given the benefit of hindsight, it is clear that my hesitation served the purpose of insuring that I could keep my familiar religious identity of being a Christian, although a Christian who believed like a Muslim believed.

It was now the very end of December, and my wife and I were filling out our application forms for U.S. passports, so that a proposed Middle Eastern journey could become a reality. One of the questions had to do with religious affiliation. I didn't even think about it, and automatically fell back on the old and familiar, as I penned in "Christian". It was easy, it was familiar, and it was comfortable.

However, that comfort was momentarily disrupted when my wife asked me how I had answered the question on religious identity on the application form. I immediately replied, "Christian", and chuckled audibly. Now, one of Freud's contributions to the understanding of the human psyche was his realization that laughter is often a release of psychological tension. However wrong Freud may have been in many aspects of his theory of psychosexual development, his insights into laughter were quite on target. I had laughed! What was this psychological tension that I had need to release through the medium of laughter?

I then hurriedly went on to offer my wife a brief affirmation that I was a Christian, not a Muslim. In response to which, she politely informed me that she was merely asking whether I had written "Christian", or "Protestant", or "Methodist". On a professional basis, I knew that a person does not defend himself against an accusation that hasn't been made. (If, in the course of a session of psychotherapy, my client blurted out, "I'm not angry about that", and I hadn't even broached the topic of anger, it was clear that my client was feeling the need to defend himself against a charge that his own unconscious was making. In short, he really was angry, but he wasn't ready to admit it or to deal with it.) If my wife hadn't made the accusation, i.e. "you are a Muslim", then the accusation had to have come from my own unconscious, as I was the only other person present. I was aware of this, but still I hesitated. The religious label that had been stuck to my sense of identity for 43 years was not going to come off easily.

About a month had gone by since my wife's question to me. It was now late in January of 1993. I had set aside all the books on Islam by the Western scholars, as I had read them all thoroughly. The two English translations of the meaning of the Qur'an were back on the bookshelf, and I was busy reading yet a third English translation of the meaning of the Qur'an. Maybe in this translation I would find some sudden justification for ...

I was taking my lunch hour from my private practice at a local Arab restaurant that I had started to frequent. I entered as usual, seated myself at a small table, and opened my third English translation of the meaning of the Qur'an to where I had left off in my reading. I figured I might as well get some reading done over my lunch hour. Moments later, I became aware that Mahmoud was at my shoulder, and waiting to take my order. He glanced at what I was reading, but said nothing about it. My order taken, I returned to the solitude of my reading.

A few minutes later, Mahmoud's wife, Iman, an American Muslim, who wore the Hijab (scarf) and modest dress that I had come to associate with female Muslims, brought me my order. She commented that I was reading the Qur'an, and politely asked if I were a Muslim. The word was out of my mouth before it could be modified by any social etiquette or politeness: "No!" That single word was said forcefully, and with more than a hint of irritability. With that, Iman politely retired from my table.

What was happening to me? I had behaved rudely and somewhat aggressively. What had this woman done to deserve such behavior from me? This wasn't like me. Given my childhood upbringing, I still used "sir" and "ma'am" when addressing clerks and cashiers who were waiting on me in stores. I could pretend to ignore my own laughter as a release of tension, but I couldn't begin to ignore this sort of unconscionable behavior from myself. My reading was set aside, and I mentally stewed over this turn of events throughout my meal. The more I stewed, the guiltier I felt about my behavior. I knew that when Iman brought me my check at the end of the meal, I was going to need to make some amends. If for no other reason, simple politeness demanded it. Furthermore, I was really quite disturbed about how resistant I had been to her innocuous question. What was going on in me that I responded with that much force to such a simple and straightforward question? Why did that one, simple question lead to such atypical behavior on my part?

Later, when Iman came with my check, I attempted a round-about apology by saying: "I'm afraid I was a little abrupt in answering your question before. If you were asking me whether I believe that there is only one God, then my answer is yes. If you were asking me whether I believe that Muhammad was one of the prophets of that one God, then my answer is yes." She very nicely and very supportively said: "That's okay; it takes some people a little longer than others."

Perhaps, the readers of this will be kind enough to note the psychological games I was playing with myself without chuckling too hard at my mental gymnastics and behavior. I well knew that in my own way, using my own words, I had just said the Shahadah, the Islamic testimonial of faith, i.e. "I testify that there is no god but Allah, and I testify that Muhammad is the messenger of Allah". However, having said that, and having recognized what I said, I could still cling to my old and familiar label of religious identity. After all, I hadn't said I was a Muslim. I was simply a Christian, albeit an atypical Christian, who was willing to say that there was one God, not a triune godhead, and who was willing to say that Muhammad was one of the prophets inspired by that one God. If a Muslim wanted to accept me as being a Muslim that was his or her business, and his or her label of religious identity. However, it was not mine. I thought I had found my way out of my crisis of religious identity. I was a Christian, who would carefully explain that I agreed with, and was willing to testify to, the Islamic testimonial of faith. Having made my tortured explanation, and having parsed the English language to within an inch of its life, others could hang whatever label on me they wished. It was their label, and not mine.

Playing Intellectual Word Games
"I was a Christian, or so I said. After all, I had been born into a Christian family, had been given a Christian upbringing, had attended church and Sunday school every Sunday as a child, had graduated from a prestigious seminary, and was an ordained minister in a large Protestant denomination. However, I was also a Christian: who didn't believe in a triune godhead or in the divinity of Jesus, peace be upon him; who knew quite well how the Bible had been corrupted; who had said the Islamic testimony of faith in my own carefully parsed words ... If asked if I were a Muslim, I could and did do a five-minute monologue detailing the above, and basically leaving the question unanswered. I was playing intellectual word games, and succeeding at them quite nicely."
It was now March of 1993, and my wife and I were enjoying a five-week vacation in the Middle East. It was also the Islamic month of Ramadan, when Muslims fast from day break until sunset. Because we were so often staying with or being escorted around by family members of our Muslim friends back in the States, my wife and I had decided that we also would fast, if for no other reason than common courtesy. During this time, I had also started to perform the five daily prayers of Islam with my newfound, Middle Eastern, Muslim friends. After all, there was nothing in those prayers with which I could disagree.

I was a Christian, or so I said. After all, I had been born into a Christian family, had been given a Christian upbringing, had attended church and Sunday school every Sunday as a child, had graduated from a prestigious seminary, and was an ordained minister in a large Protestant denomination. However, I was also a Christian: who didn't believe in a triune godhead or in the divinity of Jesus, peace be upon him; who knew quite well how the Bible had been corrupted; who had said the Islamic testimony of faith in my own carefully parsed words; who had fasted during Ramadan; who was saying Islamic prayers five times a day; and who was deeply impressed by the behavioral examples I had witnessed in the Muslim community, both in America and in the Middle East. (Time and space do not permit me the luxury of documenting in detail all of the examples of personal morality and ethics I encountered in the Middle East.) If asked if I were a Muslim, I could and did do a five-minute monologue detailing the above, and basically leaving the question unanswered. I was playing intellectual word games, and succeeding at them quite nicely.

It was now late in our Middle Eastern trip. An elderly friend who spoke no English and I were walking down a winding, little road, somewhere in one of the economically disadvantaged areas of greater 'Amman, Jordan. As we walked, an elderly man approached us from the opposite direction, said, "Salam ‘Alaykum", i.e., "peace be upon you", and offered to shake hands. We were the only three people there. I didn't speak Arabic, and neither my friend nor the stranger spoke English. Looking at me, the stranger asked, "Muslim?"

At that precise moment in time, I was fully and completely trapped. There were no intellectual word games to be played, because I could only communicate in English, and they could only communicate in Arabic. There was no translator present to bail me out of this situation, and to allow me to hide behind my carefully prepared English monologue. I couldn't pretend I didn't understand the question, because it was all too obvious that I had. My choices were suddenly, unpredictably, and inexplicably reduced to just two: I could say "N'am", i.e., "yes"; or I could say "La", i.e., "no". The choice was mine, and I had no other. I had to choose, and I had to choose now; it was just that simple. Praise be to Allah, I answered, "N'am".

With saying that one word, all the intellectual word games were now behind me. With the intellectual word games behind me, the psychological games regarding my religious identity were also behind me. I wasn't some strange, atypical Christian. I was a Muslim. Praise be to Allah, my wife of 33 years also became a Muslim about that same time.

Paying A Small Price for A Good Return
"For those contemplating the acceptance of Islam and the surrendering of oneself to Allah—glorified and exalted is He, there may well be sacrifices along the way. Many of these sacrifices are easily predicted, while others may be rather surprising and unexpected. There is no denying the existence of these sacrifices, and I don't intend to sugar coat that pill for you. Nonetheless, don't be overly troubled by these sacrifices. In the final analysis, these sacrifices are less important than you presently think. Allah willing, you will find these sacrifices a very cheap coin to pay for the "goods" you are purchasing."
Not too many months after our return to America from the Middle East, a neighbor invited us over to his house, saying that he wanted to talk with us about our conversion to Islam. He was a retired Methodist minister, with whom I had had several conversations in the past. Although we had occasionally talked superficially about such issues as the artificial construction of the Bible from various, earlier, independent sources, we had never had any in-depth conversation about religion. I knew only that he appeared to have acquired a solid seminary education, and that he sang in the local church choir every Sunday.

My initial reaction was, "Oh, oh, here it comes". Nonetheless, it is a Muslim's duty to be a good neighbor, and it is a Muslim's duty to be willing to discuss Islam with others. As such, I accepted the invitation for the following evening, and spent most of the waking part of the next 24 hours contemplating how best to approach this gentleman in his requested topic of conversation. The appointed time came, and we drove over to our neighbor's. After a few moments of small talk, he finally asked why I had decided to become a Muslim. I had waited for this question, and had my answer carefully prepared. "As you know with your seminary education, there were a lot of non-religious considerations which led up to and shaped the decisions of the Council of Nicaea." He immediately cut me off with a simple statement: "You finally couldn't stomach the polytheism anymore, could you?" He knew exactly why I was a Muslim, and he didn't disagree with my decision! For himself, at his age and at his place in life, he was electing to be "an atypical Christian". Allah willing, he has by now completed his journey from cross to crescent.

There are sacrifices to be made in being a Muslim in America. For that matter, there are sacrifices to be made in being a Muslim anywhere. However, those sacrifices may be more acutely felt in America, especially among American converts. Some of those sacrifices are very predictable, and include altered dress and abstinence from alcohol, pork, and the taking of interest on one's money. Some of those sacrifices are less predictable. For example, one Christian family, with whom we were close friends, informed us that they could no longer associate with us, as they could not associate with anyone "who does not take Jesus Christ as his personal savior". In addition, quite a few of my professional colleagues altered their manner of relating to me. Whether it was coincidence or not, my professional referral base dwindled, and there was almost a 30% drop in income as a result. Some of these less predictable sacrifices were hard to accept, although the sacrifices were a small price to pay for what was received in return.

For those contemplating the acceptance of Islam and the surrendering of oneself to Allah—glorified and exalted is He, there may well be sacrifices along the way. Many of these sacrifices are easily predicted, while others may be rather surprising and unexpected. There is no denying the existence of these sacrifices, and I don't intend to sugar coat that pill for you. Nonetheless, don't be overly troubled by these sacrifices. In the final analysis, these sacrifices are less important than you presently think. Allah willing, you will find these sacrifices a very cheap coin to pay for the "goods" you are purchasing.

© 2002 (Abu Yahya) Jerald F. Dirks, M. Div, P
Re: Hamas Military Chief Killed In Israeli Airstrike, War Says Hamas!!! by Nobody: 3:53pm On Nov 15, 2012
hotwax:

Reading A̶̲̥̅​ simple sentence can be A̶̲̥̅​ problem atimes.
Did I mention christian as owners of Jerusalem.

I said "anabi Dauda" who found Jerusalem was Jew and not arab.

Did that hurt you? Sorry. But that's the fact.

Jews and christians are brothers and sisters.

Bible came from torah "the book of the prophet" which Judaism are using.

Jews just don't believe Jesus is God. And this is true. Christians call Jesus "God". Jews pray to Jehovay" "Yaweh" in sinagogue. They don't agree with the bible 70pcent. And they are not the only one.

Some christians too don't e.g Jehovah witness.

Christians and Jews will always be brothers either you like it or not.

Palestine/muslims are the one occupying jewish land.
The whole world stoodby why this glaring scam is going on.

Eish!!! This INFIDELgrin, tell me when was the State Of Isreal formed and who occupied the lands before 1946.

U a foolish CRETINgrin ur trully deviod of any braincells and logicgrin u should just shut up and not try and school people here with ur Mythical Bible Fantasies
Re: Hamas Military Chief Killed In Israeli Airstrike, War Says Hamas!!! by Nobody: 4:05pm On Nov 15, 2012
snydergp:

Eish!!! This INFIDELgrin, tell me when was the State Of Isreal formed and who occupied the lands before 1946.

U a foolish CRETINgrin ur trully deviod of any braincells and logicgrin u should just shut up and not try and school people here with ur Mythical Bible Fantasies
I think you are seeing it from a South African point of view. Leaving out facts can be tantamount to failure when finding solution to situation like this. It is a critical situation not a child's play. We have to be opened to different evidences and opinions to ascertain where to start finding lasting solutions.

Let's not leave the argument of the Israelis(whether being Jews, Hebrews or foreigners) out of this as well as the Palestinians(Arabs, Christians,etc). The intrinsic part of this argument is proffering solution than pointing accusing fingers. The occupied land is Israelis as well as Palestinians and they should learnt to live as family to stop the death of innocent human beings.
Re: Hamas Military Chief Killed In Israeli Airstrike, War Says Hamas!!! by Nobody: 4:26pm On Nov 15, 2012
eggheaders:

you have been reading loads of poos.FYI I research everything I follow.and in my research atheist are frustrated irresponsible lots e.g odb,the Nirvana crews and other unhappy low lifes.hope u miserable idiot won't commit suicide anytime soon.fool go clean toilet joor isn't that what u do for a living in that rat hole called peckham.
Where is that? You are on your hallucinogen again. I sorry for those who even like you for your silliness! It is more surprising to know that there are more insane people on this forum than I thought!
Re: Hamas Military Chief Killed In Israeli Airstrike, War Says Hamas!!! by Nobody: 4:31pm On Nov 15, 2012
Wadeoye:

Shut up your stinging hate filled Igbotic mouth. It is typical of Nigerian Christians to jump up on the side of Isreal each time because you have been brainwashed that Isrealis are Christians while all Arabs are Muslims. How uneducated can you be? Again, Jesus was burn in Isreal but today Isreal is not a Christian state - it is Jewish state and the religion of their leaders is Judaism. And let it enter you skull that there are more Muslims in Isreal than Christians. The largests of mosques in the Arab world are in Jerusalem.
You are so miserable that you allow tribalism dictates your daily life. Huh...! Pathetic Orc!
Re: Hamas Military Chief Killed In Israeli Airstrike, War Says Hamas!!! by eggheaders(m): 4:35pm On Nov 15, 2012
all4naija: Where is that? You are on your hallucinogen again. I sorry for those who even like you for your silliness! It is more surprising to know that there are more insane people on this forum than I thought!

u back from that Penny paying job of yours.you denying the ghetto where u live in the u.k.buzu hope u ve seen the medics for your schizophrenic tendencies.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

ISRAEL Vows To Take Revenge 'clearly And Forcefully' After Iran Drone Attack / Andrew Tate Charged With Rape, Human Trafficking in Romania / Breaking News - Colonel Gaddafi Captured And Killed (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 233
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.