Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,397 members, 7,954,575 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 11:17 PM

[C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) - Programming (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) (15304 Views)

My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows / [b]Any body with a simple understanding of open source?[/b] / Creating An Open-source Java Web Service (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) by lordZOUGA(m): 7:34am On Jan 17, 2013
check the previous page for the latest update.
now putting together a list of what is to come..
Re: [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) by Javanian: 9:19am On Jan 17, 2013
sticked!...
Re: [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) by lordZOUGA(m): 9:42am On Jan 17, 2013
Javanian: sticked!...
thanks boss
Re: [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) by lordZOUGA(m): 12:08am On Jan 18, 2013
Coming soon:
-Smarter Relax!:
Relax! Can now remember the whole files copied in a given session and be able to restore the files previously copied. An undo function

-Multiple configuration
Relax! Will now have different configuration options. So that a user can save a config for each device. Like a config for Hard Disk file transfer and another for PC file transfer
Re: [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) by lordZOUGA(m): 12:20am On Jan 18, 2013
I want to add a feature where file sorting is not entirely based on file extensions.
Any ideas?
Re: [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) by lordZOUGA(m): 12:24am On Jan 18, 2013
This project needs sponsors..
Re: [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) by PrinceNN(m): 1:08am On Jan 18, 2013
lordZOUGA: I want to add a feature where file sorting is not entirely based on file extensions.
Any ideas?
i guess u cud match the magic-number sequence of each file against a list Wikipedia or here
Open file in binary mode, read at most first 4 bytes, compare....

1 Like

Re: [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) by WhiZTiM(m): 8:22am On Jan 18, 2013
I go with PRINCE! Fulltime!
... For efficiency, you would require mathematics... Cause you cant be doing all these things sequencially, you would need deployments of dynamic threads to take advantage of multi-core processor systems.
Re: [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) by lordZOUGA(m): 8:37am On Jan 18, 2013
cool.. I was actually thinking of using MIME types.. Like a C++ source file (on most operating systems) should be denoted by this mime type:
text/plain, text/x-c++src, application/x-cplusplus.
Any problem with this approach?
Re: [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) by ositadima1(m): 8:45am On Jan 18, 2013
This is good, I see it growing up into something big.I did like to sponsor but I got no dough now, but regarding sorting beyond file extensions, what of making it look up a user prespecified sequence of characters(number tag, a particular word) in d file title. I work with drawings, and I tend to save my stuff on my desktop, having all my .dwg sorted into series would be nice, like all the DEFU series in one folder...
You may also push it further and let it scan this files and sort base on content, like I have lots of pdfs in a folder and I want them sorted based on a phrase or word withing the pdfs. Lol, I don't know if I am making sense...
Re: [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) by lordZOUGA(m): 9:13am On Jan 18, 2013
ositadima1: This is good, I see it growing up into something big.I did like to sponsor but I got no dough now, but regarding sorting beyond file extensions, what of making it look up a user prespecified sequence of characters(number tag, a particular word) in d file title. I work with drawings, and I tend to save my stuff on my desktop, having all my .dwg sorted into series would be nice, like all the DEFU series in one folder...
You may also push it further and let it scan this files and sort base on content, like I have lots of pdfs in a folder and I want them sorted based on a phrase or word withing the pdfs. Lol, I don't know if I am making sense...
yeah you are making sense. Infact I was going to include it as an update but I have not tested the algorithm I thought up for it.. So I let it lie.. I got the idea because the way TV series (season movies) were scattered across my system was driving me crazy.
Re: [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) by ositadima1(m): 10:47am On Jan 18, 2013
lordZOUGA:
yeah you are making sense. Infact I was going to include it as an update but I have not tested the algorithm I thought up for it.. So I let it lie.. I got the idea because the way TV series (season movies) were scattered across my system was driving me crazy.

Cool, when this thing blows up, I would like to work for you... grin I am learning python 2 and 3 in my spare time.
Re: [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) by lordZOUGA(m): 11:06am On Jan 18, 2013
ositadima1:

Cool, when this thing blows up, I would like to work for you... grin I am learning python 2 and 3 in my spare time.
if and when it blows up
Re: [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) by ositadima1(m): 11:20am On Jan 18, 2013
lordZOUGA:
if and when it blows up

Hey, don't be pessimistic joo, there are similar programs in the market, you need to study them, reverse engineer them if possible lipsrsealed, and impliment in urs while putting more value, yeah u need sponsors dats the hard part...
Re: [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) by PrinceNN(m): 11:30am On Jan 18, 2013
lordZOUGA: cool.. I was actually thinking of using MIME types.. Like a C++ source file (on most operating systems) should be denoted by this mime type:
text/plain, text/x-c++src, application/x-cplusplus.
Any problem with this approach?
how would u get the MIME types?most times the first criteria needed for fetching mime type is via extension...except you can explicitly request via byte sequence -> magic number
Re: [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) by lordZOUGA(m): 3:38pm On Jan 18, 2013
₱®ÌИСΞ:

how would u get the MIME types?most times the first criteria needed for fetching mime type is via extension...except you can explicitly request via byte sequence -> magic number
hmmmm... Makes sense.. On Ubuntu(Linux), nautilus file manager can guess the content of a file even if the file has no extension.. I could hook into the same service that it uses and do what I want..
But windows explorer is not so smart... It doesn't know jack about a file without an extension
Re: [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) by lordZOUGA(m): 3:48pm On Jan 18, 2013
finished writing and testing a recursive file system traversal function for windows using Qt File Management API...
I think for this feature the linux version will be faster than the windows version.. The linux version uses system calls that are handled directly by the kernel so its pretty low level..
The function I wrote is quite optimized.. But the fact is that while Qt is C++ it still involves lots of abstractions which might incur a certain level of overhead...

Maybe I should do a benchmark or something..
Re: [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) by PrinceNN(m): 4:08pm On Jan 18, 2013
lordZOUGA:
hmmmm... Makes sense.. On Ubuntu(Linux), nautilus file manager can guess the content of a file even if the file has no extension.. I could hook into the same service that it uses and do what I want..
But windows explorer is not so smart... It doesn't know jack about a file without an extension
Was going to ask if u wud fetch it thru some system call or library or service etc...I see nautilus has that covered...cool...windows fanboys(myself included) dnt have nautilus....so I guess we r in d dark eh?
Re: [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) by lordZOUGA(m): 5:11pm On Jan 18, 2013
₱®ÌИСΞ:

Was going to ask if u wud fetch it thru some system call or library or service etc...I see nautilus has that covered...cool...windows fanboys(myself included) dnt have nautilus....so I guess we r in d dark eh?
yep.. Kinda.. I am quite disappointed.. Considering that nautilus is open source and windows explorer is owned by the mighty microsoft...
Now I have to hardcode the "magic numbers" into Relax and compare at runtime..
Re: [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) by PrinceNN(m): 9:39pm On Jan 18, 2013
do like WhiZTiM suggested with the threads nd all....
don't blame microsoft....Gates said... “I choose a lazy person to do a hard job. Because a lazy person will find an easy way to do it.” ƪƪ explorer is one the outcomes
Re: [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) by kambo(m): 10:58pm On Jan 18, 2013
interesting.. I actually worked on a file manager like application sometime last year circa. July/August but abandoned the code base to pursue other competing engagements. Code is in java and has 40+ classes. I dont know when i'll return to it. I mention it cuz i see the interest you project has garnered . Good luck. Keep up the good work. Actually, i think a comprehensive file utility has been sore lacking in OSes. But are u planning on commercializing it when done? Can't contribute cuz i'm not into c++ (bad experience wth the compilers i've encountered: mingw output mb's of code for very small programs i write . Etc. So till i lay hands on a good windows compiler no c++ for now). Here are some functions that would be nice to have. Find+(fileAction) - where fileaction== copy,delete,move,count,synchronize synchronize by criteria (date,size etc) like when a textfile has more than two copies and user wants to bring them up to date by replacing smaller file with larger file . Resumable copy - e.g after an interruption in copying a folder copied files are not recopied. Folder sorter- think you've already handled this, periodicity: idea here is to make an operation run at scheduled intervals e.g every 1hr, 30mins . Useful when lotta disc state changing activity is going on e.g during internet download sessions .periodic find+delete could serve as a crude antivirus. There more ideas but i'll stop here.
Re: [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) by lordZOUGA(m): 12:35am On Jan 19, 2013
kambo: interesting.. I actually worked on a file manager like application sometime last year circa. July/August but abandoned the code base to pursue other competing engagements. Code is in java and has 40+ classes. I dont know when i'll return to it. I mention it cuz i see the interest you project has garnered . Good luck. Keep up the good work. Actually, i think a comprehensive file utility has been sore lacking in OSes. But are u planning on commercializing it when done? Can't contribute cuz i'm not into c++ (bad experience wth the compilers i've encountered: mingw output mb's of code for very small programs i write . Etc. So till i lay hands on a good windows compiler no c++ for now). Here are some functions that would be nice to have. Find+(fileAction) - where fileaction== copy,delete,move,count,synchronize synchronize by criteria (date,size etc) like when a textfile has more than two copies and user wants to bring them up to date by replacing smaller file with larger file . Resumable copy - e.g after an interruption in copying a folder copied files are not recopied. Folder sorter- think you've already handled this, periodicity: idea here is to make an operation run at scheduled intervals e.g every 1hr, 30mins . Useful when lotta disc state changing activity is going on e.g during internet download sessions .periodic find+delete could serve as a crude antivirus. There more ideas but i'll stop here.
so you want me to write a full blown file manager? Commercialize...? Interesting thought
Re: [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) by lordZOUGA(m): 12:48am On Jan 19, 2013
₱®ÌИСΞ:
do like WhiZTiM suggested with the threads nd all....
don't blame microsoft....Gates said... “I choose a lazy person to do a hard job. Because a lazy person will find an easy way to do it.” ƪƪ explorer is one the outcomes
okay... So Gates endorsed that explorer should be stupid.
I got the file type identification thingy covered
Re: [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) by PrinceNN(m): 1:07am On Jan 19, 2013
Officially...but we r kul wid dat....issorai
Re: [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) by ositadima1(m): 6:37am On Jan 19, 2013
lordZOUGA:
so you want me to write a full blown file manager? Commercialize...? Interesting thought

Before nko?
Re: [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) by lordZOUGA(m): 6:57am On Jan 19, 2013
ositadima1:

Before nko?
writing a full file manager or commercializing?
Re: [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) by ositadima1(m): 8:00am On Jan 19, 2013
lordZOUGA:
writing a full file manager or commercializing?

I say go for it. I think there is a market, with people having lots of data on there hds, besides people like me who are totally messy would like this. Check this link www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-file-manager.htm, there are a couple of file managers, you may steal a look at them. IMO don't reinvent a wheel add tube and tire though.
Re: [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) by lordZOUGA(m): 1:31pm On Jan 19, 2013
ositadima1:

I say go for it. I think there is a market, with people having lots of data on there hds, besides people like me who are totally messy would like this. Check this link www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-file-manager.htm, there are a couple of file managers, you may steal a look at them. IMO don't reinvent a wheel add tube and tire though.
am not writing a file manager... Just a tool.. Like helping out existing file managers... From your link, there seems to be quite a number of file managers..
Re: [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) by kambo(m): 3:43pm On Jan 19, 2013
commercialize? (a question not a suggestion) full blown ? - your app is showing features of evolution. More features are being added/requested And your talking of sponsors. Doesnt that mean you're intent on a feature rich product!? If you get sponsorship a full blown product will b xpcted not a utility. If u giv a utility users will keep asking 4 feature x y z until unwittingly uv created a full product! The user asking for x y z could b u!
Re: [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) by Nobody: 6:19pm On Jan 19, 2013
i think the questions one should ask is, with my responses
will i like to have a file manager on my PC to help keep my system clean? Yes
will i want to pay for it (same way i will buy an antivirus cos life without AV is scary)? No
will i want to click on a "donate" button on the author's website? Maybe, Depends, If the software is able to find it's way into my heart.

putting up a page with a donate button wont hurt, before that, you need to perfect it
Re: [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) by lordZOUGA(m): 11:53pm On Jan 19, 2013
kambo: commercialize? (a question not a suggestion) full blown ? - your app is showing features of evolution. More features are being added/requested And your talking of sponsors. Doesnt that mean you're intent on a feature rich product!? If you get sponsorship a full blown product will b xpcted not a utility. If u giv a utility users will keep asking 4 feature x y z until unwittingly uv created a full product! The user asking for x y z could b u!
I will mull over this
Re: [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) by lordZOUGA(m): 11:56pm On Jan 19, 2013
webdezzi: i think the questions one should ask is, with my responses
will i like to have a file manager on my PC to help keep my system clean? Yes
will i want to pay for it (same way i will buy an antivirus cos life without AV is scary)? No
will i want to click on a "donate" button on the author's website? Maybe, Depends, If the software is able to find it's way into my heart.

putting up a page with a donate button wont hurt, before that, you need to perfect it

i see... Donate button.. Good

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Java Programming Vs Networking: Which Is More Profitable In Nigeria? / Web Design, Web Development And Mobile App Development Tutorial / Are Programmers Born Or Made?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.