Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,077 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:06 AM

My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection - Religion (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection (21119 Views)

Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance / Catholism- Focus On Relics / 5 Reasons Why Catholism Is Not Christian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 11:32am On Apr 13, 2013
Ubenedictus: reginus refering to your post on april 12 at 8:51, you said without impecability, infallibility is imposible! I responded by telling you that the above principle will render the bible fallible! Peter was pecable and yet he wrote 1st and 2nd peter and we all believes those words are infalliable. So my question is, you claim infalibility is imposible without impecability, at the same time you believe 1st and 2nd peter to be infallible while peter himself isn't impecable. Isn't that hypocrisy?
Don't get it twisted, ube. It is not hypocrisy at all.
The catholic understanding of papal infallibility could be described as a permanent state of holiness. This neglects the fact that once anything is described infallible, the probability of it being peccable is zero.
In the light of first and second peter. The infallibility he exhibited in the writing of the scriptures was dependent on the inspiration from the infallible holy spirit. The assignments he carried out were done not under a state of permanent holiness but a temporary state of infallibity guaranteed by the inspiring holy spirit. While one, in this case is assuming infallibility, the other, Peter, only was infallible within the period of the inspiration.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 11:37am On Apr 13, 2013
Ubenedictus: oh, i saw that, and believe me it didn't answer the question, you were asked to provide a link before the 4th century, not what some orthodox christian thinks about the deuterocanon.
It would interest you to note that the view espouse above is not widely accepted in the orthodox church and even rejected by others.
These orthodox site show what i mean http://st-takla.org/pub_Deuterocanon/Deuterocanon-Apocrypha_El-Aster_El-Kanoneya_El-Taya__O-index.html
http://www.suscopts.org/evangelism/frames/know_your_bible.html

lol lol lol grin

And he produces two links: one to some dead site in Arabic (of all things) and the other to what some fellow thinks.

You'd better go back and read the link I gave carefully. wink

Meanwhile, I put it to you that you are either too afraid or too duplicitous to perform the tasks I set. Hey, I have even made them simpler with the introduction of Athanasius' 39th Festal Letter. wink

smiley
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Ubenedictus(m): 11:37am On Apr 13, 2013
Enigma: ^^^ Meanwhile he is the very same person who claimed earler on this same thread that Jerome must have had a "canon" before translating. He was going to base that on the fraudulent claim related to some Council of Rome until that was knocked down. wink
do you mind explaining the bolded?

So once the Council of Rome thing is knocked out, what "canon" was Jerome using and what "canon" did he refer to - that being one of the questions in the tasks I set Kay17 originally. smiley
cool
hahaha, what was knocked out?? That is really funny.

I'll swoop down and tell you that jeromes "canon" was of the 4th century! The question was that you provide a canon before the 4th century! You didnt even come close to answering the question.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 11:38am On Apr 13, 2013
^^^ Go back and read your own posts replying to my charges ---- about page 16 or so of this very thread! wink

smiley
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 11:42am On Apr 13, 2013
Meanwhile, I ask you again categorically to answer this post:

Enigma:

Who was the word* directed to and what did he do or say? ....

* i.e. 'crybaby'

smiley
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Ubenedictus(m): 12:02pm On Apr 13, 2013
While naturally i'll not pass by athanasuis' canon without discussing the tit and bits, today i'll pass.
Enigma: Let me even make the tasks a little easier somewhat still:

Here is Athanasius of Alexandria in a document going back to AD 367 (remember that even the 'Council of Rome' which is used for the fraudulent claim is dated AD 382 some 15 years later than this Athanasius' document).

Quoted from 39th Festal Epistle of AD 367 http://www.bible-researcher.com/athanasius.html

To keep things brief, I omit the rest listing the books he considered canonical.

Now see the words "the canon" which I bolded in blue? What did Athanasisus mean by "the Canon"?

Remember this was before each or any of the things/events which the Roman Catholics like to claim is where "they" established "the canon"!

That is, before any of the Council of Rome 382 (already shown to be dodgy), the African Synod of Hippo 393, the African Synods of Carthage 397 etc. --- let alone the real place where the Roman Catholics truly set their canon, at least finally, if they want to be honest --- i.e. Council of Trent 1546 etc! (Edited)
cool
athanasuis wrote in the 4th century you were asked to provide a list before the 4th century. Did you miss the question?
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 12:10pm On Apr 13, 2013
^^^ Perform the tasks; and answer the specific question about Athanasius.

Meanwhile address the "Crybaby" question. If you do not, I will know whether what I'm beginning to think is right. smiley
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 12:12pm On Apr 13, 2013
Here once more:

Meanwhile, I ask you again categorically to answer this post:

Enigma:

Who was the word* directed to and what did he do or say? ....

* i.e. 'crybaby'

smiley
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Ubenedictus(m): 12:12pm On Apr 13, 2013
Interesting! Since u made a request, i'll answer.
Enigma: ^^^
Answer this post
* i.e. 'crybaby'
smiley
it was directed to italo! The challenge "if u are brave enough" was what was addressed to me.
Are we ok?
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 12:14pm On Apr 13, 2013
Ubenedictus: Interesting! Since u made a request, i'll answer. it was directed to italo! The challenge "if u are brave enough" was what was addressed to me.
Are we ok?

And what did italo do or say before the word was directed at him?

smiley
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Ubenedictus(m): 12:26pm On Apr 13, 2013
Reyginus: Don't get it twisted, ube. It is not hypocrisy at all.
The catholic understanding of papal infallibility could be described as a permanent state of holiness. This neglects the fact that once anything is described infallible, the probability of it being peccable is zero.
In the light of first and second peter. The infallibility he exhibited in the writing of the scriptures was dependent on the inspiration from the infallible holy spirit. The assignments he carried out were done not under a state of permanent holiness but a temporary state of infallibity guaranteed by the inspiring holy spirit. While one, in this case is assuming infallibility, the other, Peter, only was infallible within the period of the inspiration.
here is where you got it all wrong. "infallibility" isn't some permanent state of holiness. Infact i doubt benedict xvi and francis even exercised infallibity at all.
Infallibity refers to what is taught, impecability refer to d man doing the teaching. the inspiration refers to what is been taught not to d person teaching. Peter could have been commiting a "sin" even while he was teaching infallibly. Because infallibility and impecability are different and independent. The pope isn't infalliable each time he talks on faith and moral but only when he is excercising his role as universal teacher and teaching faith and morals, he defines teachings by d help of d holyspirit. The also means most encyclicals though profitable aren't infalliable. Infallibility isn't some permanent state of holiness but a gift either excercise or not excercise.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Ubenedictus(m): 12:45pm On Apr 13, 2013
Enigma:
lol lol lol grin
And he produces two links: one to some dead site in Arabic (of all things) and the other to what some fellow thinks.
the link you gave isn't different from "what some fellow thinks" besides its a pity the 1st link isn't working. The site is http://st-takla.org/ the article i tried to link will be found in the site simply scroll past the picture of st takla and you'll see "a message from the deterocanon". Click deterocanon and d article will appear.

You'd better go back and read the link I gave carefully. wink
Meanwhile, I put it to you that you are either too afraid or too duplicitous to perform the tasks I set. Hey, I have even made them simpler with the introduction of Athanasius' 39th Festal Letter. wink
smiley
i read your link and it contradicted that of the church under pope tawados. And d festal letter u provided didnt answer d question.
Peace
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Ubenedictus(m): 12:50pm On Apr 13, 2013
Enigma: ^^^ Go back and read your own posts replying to my charges ---- about page 16 or so of this very thread! wink

smiley
i am well aware of what i said, what are u insinuating?
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 12:57pm On Apr 13, 2013
I have not insinuated anything so far. In fact, I have tried to treat you as a honourable person and that is why I repeated the question several times.

Anyway, it is all well and good to accuse a non-Roman Catholic of making "cheap insults" but not to see "cheap insults" when Roman Catholics who were not contributing anything to the discussion between two other people were calling others various things like "mumu", "fraud" etc. wink

No, problem! As I said, I will know whether to confirm what I'm beginning to think in my mind.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Ubenedictus(m): 12:58pm On Apr 13, 2013
The answer to your request
italo:

Na today you sabi Enigma?

He has no permanent beliefs. He latches unto anything that favours him depending on the argument.

Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Ubenedictus(m): 1:00pm On Apr 13, 2013
Enigma: ^^^ Crybaby. grin

Keep up the lying and slandering. It's all cool. smiley

cool
your response, probably addressing italo but directed to nobody in particular.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 1:01pm On Apr 13, 2013
^^ And that is not a "cheap insult"?

From someone who contributed nothing to the discussion I was having with Kay17?

Purely gratuitous insult? Unprovoked?

And as between that one and "Crybaby", which is worse?

And which did you see fit to 'condemn'?
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Ubenedictus(m): 1:01pm On Apr 13, 2013
My response quoting you.
Ubenedictus: u just didnt answer the question!
Interesting
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 1:03pm On Apr 13, 2013
^^^ And my response to you remains:

Enigma: ^^^ You want to perform the tasks I set him? Or you too are not brave enough?

cool
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Ubenedictus(m): 1:05pm On Apr 13, 2013
Going backwards, this is what you said.
Enigma: We already had "the Bible" waaaaaaay before the 4th century; Christians who were mostly not Roman Catholics had already seen to that. wink

smiley
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Ubenedictus(m): 1:07pm On Apr 13, 2013
Kay 17:

Ok, I will concede to your definition and leave that issue for another time.

Given your definition, can you point out any *canonical collection of sacred text* used by the Christians before the 4th century. Note that a individual texts themselves don't count as a collection, rather a number of individual texts adopted together

I wouldn't mind historical references too.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 1:08pm On Apr 13, 2013
^^^ Look, I prefer we sort out this "Crybaby" matter first; otherwise I am really not keen on discussing anything further.

In any event, the tasks I set remain and I stand by my posts that you are quoting.

cool
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 1:13pm On Apr 13, 2013
Ubenedictus: here is where you got it all wrong. "infallibility" isn't some permanent state of holiness. Infact i doubt benedict xvi and francis even exercised infallibity at all.
Infallibity refers to what is taught, impecability refer to d man doing the teaching. the inspiration refers to what is been taught not to d person teaching. Peter could have been commiting a "sin" even while he was teaching infallibly. Because infallibility and impecability are different and independent. The pope isn't infalliable each time he talks on faith and moral but only when he is excercising his role as universal teacher and teaching faith and morals, he defines teachings by d help of d holyspirit. The also means most encyclicals though profitable aren't infalliable. Infallibility isn't some permanent state of holiness but a gift either excercise or not excercise.
Beautiful! I have to agree with you. But their is another problem. Looking at the era we had two popes, I find hard to figure out how this infallibility will function on any of the two.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 1:40pm On Apr 13, 2013
Meanwhile, see yourself now vaccillating so badly on one page; on this page!!

Very disappointing!

Ubenedictus: Interesting! Since u made a request, i'll answer. it was directed to italo! The challenge "if u are brave enough" was what was addressed to me.
Are we ok?

Ubenedictus: your response, probably addressing italo but directed to nobody in particular.

sad
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Ubenedictus(m): 2:30pm On Apr 13, 2013
Enigma: I have not insinuated anything so far. In fact, I have tried to treat you as a honourable person and that is why I repeated the question several times.
thanks.

Anyway, it is all well and good to accuse a non-Roman Catholic of making "cheap insults" but not to see "cheap insults" when Roman Catholics who were not contributing anything to the discussion between two other people were calling others various things like "mumu", "fraud" etc. wink
No, problem! As I said, I will know whether to confirm what I'm beginning to think in my mind.
hey, easy!
A similar thing happened some weeks ago when i accused ihendi of picking at the trivial, that didn't imply that i didn't notice other people doing the same, i just didn't expect that from him. While arguements rage on nl, i expect some people to keep themselves from d mud throwing that has characterised nl.
Sorry if i held you to some higher pedestal.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 2:33pm On Apr 13, 2013
^^^ Don't hold me to any pedestal; just be honest!

cool
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 2:34pm On Apr 13, 2013
Oh and even I thought you were on a "pedestal" that honesty could be expected of you.

cool
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by truthislight: 4:10pm On Apr 13, 2013
Ubenedictus: you said infalliability is imposible without impecability. And at the same time u believe in 1st and 2nd pt, peter taught infallably while he wasn't impacable.
Isn't this hypocrisy?

The pope can be infellible as long there is "tradition" to cover all his extracurricular teachings and actions = infellibility shield.

With that open field and long rope to play ball how can he fail? = tradition of RCC.

Not minding this instruction:

NIV/ESV/
Now brothers, these things i have transferred so as to apply to myself and apollos for your good, that in our case you may learn the (rule): "Do not go beyond the things that are written" ...................
(1cor4:6)
........................................................................................

But he the pope seems to give care to his "traditions" only = infellibility of popes.

^^^ Why not? Even me self will be infellible with such long rope of tradition of no boundaries. cool

Can someone show me the boundaries of "tradition" if any?
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Ubenedictus(m): 5:09pm On Apr 13, 2013
Reyginus: Beautiful! I have to agree with you. But their is another problem. Looking at the era we had two popes, I find hard to figure out how this infallibility will function on any of the two.
now you've missed thing up again, there wasn't a time we had two popes! Instead there was a time we had two people claiming to be the pope. That simply means one was pope and the other was the anti-pope. The pope had the infallibility and the anti pope was either a schismatic or an heretic Or both.
Peace.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Ubenedictus(m): 5:12pm On Apr 13, 2013
Enigma: Meanwhile, see yourself now vaccillating so badly on one page; on this page!!

Very disappointing!

sad

ofcourse, i noticed the above, at first i thought you quote italo, after checking again i saw you didn't quote anybody, my assumption is that is was addressed to italo but could be for anyone against your views since it has nobodys' name on it.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Ubenedictus(m): 5:15pm On Apr 13, 2013
Enigma: ^^^ Don't hold me to any pedestal; just be honest!

cool
be honest with what? That you replied insult with insult, is that commendable?
Ok, if your aim was to guilt me, you win,
sorry, next time i'll just imagine you just part of the insult throwing group and move on. Sorry!
Now can we return to d discussion at hand?
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 5:20pm On Apr 13, 2013
^^^ If you feel guilty, it is because of your own actions.

You claimed, I used insult to avoid answering a question. You were wrong!

You claim I made a "cheap insult" but you conveniently completely overlooked the fact that I was insulted first.

It was pointed out to you that my words were directed at italo because of his action --- you have nothing to say to italo. And you vaccillated between knowing this and not knowing this. Quite pitiful, that!

Now you come up with the nonsensse whether it is right to reply insult with insult --- you forgot that even you made digs (or minor insults) at me on this thread.

So what are you saying? Who is guilting you?

Meanwhile I am going to make one more post in a moment.

cool

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply)

Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary / It Is Not By Force To Give Offerings And Tithe / Importance Of Restitution - Case Study Of Juliana Olayode (aka Toyo Baby)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.