Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,926 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:07 PM

My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection - Religion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection (21110 Views)

Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance / Catholism- Focus On Relics / 5 Reasons Why Catholism Is Not Christian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Kay17: 6:00pm On Feb 09, 2013
Enigma

1. You brought it up yourself when you started making references with capital c and small letter c in Catholic Church. You were to draw a line btw the universal and Catholic Church, and roles in bible compilation.

2. The Bible I had in mind is the most original bible, as intently compiled in the past as Christianity foundational guide. Substractions from the Bible (the original one earliest compiled for Christians) are fatal to the book and intents of the compilers. If Apocrypha or New Testament is removed, then aspects of Christianity or the Christian experience become missing
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 6:02pm On Feb 09, 2013
^^^ On this thread, I have not got involved with the issue of the origin of the Roman Catholic Church. If I have done so, quote me and I will apologise.

2. You did not and still do not know the meaning of "the Bible"; alas even after I gave you a clue that "the Bible" was first used for The Septuagint which of course does not include the New Testament.

smiley
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 6:29pm On Feb 09, 2013
You are a s
Enigma: ^^^ On this thread, I have not got involved with the issue of the origin of the Roman Catholic Church. If I have done so, quote me and I will apologise.

2. You did not and still do not know the meaning of "the Bible"; alas even after I gave you a clue that "the Bible" was first used for The Septuagint which of course does not include the New Testament.

smiley

You are a shameless and incorrigible liar!!.The septuagint was so named after the 77 scholars who translated the hebrew scriptures to greek.It was never called the bible.Even after the canonisation of the hebrew scriptures by the council of Jamnia in 90CE it was called Tanakh and not bible.The term bible and the creation of the christian canon is credited to the catholic church
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 6:38pm On Feb 09, 2013
^^^ Whatever, lol smiley

The Septuagint was still the first to be called "the Bible". wink

cool
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by italo: 6:41pm On Feb 09, 2013
He knows all these. He just likes to create his own little history of deceit and drag down unsuspecting and uninformed idiots with him.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 6:43pm On Feb 09, 2013
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 6:45pm On Feb 09, 2013
^^^ If you know where to look you will see even Wikipedia say that the Septuagint was the first to be called "the bible". wink

smiley
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 7:01pm On Feb 09, 2013
Enigma: ^^^ If you know where to look you will see even Wikipedia say that the Septuagint was the first to be called "the bible". wink

smiley

Olodo why don't you quote the wikipedia write up and link
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 7:05pm On Feb 09, 2013
^^ You mean you are too thick to search even Wikipedia successfully for such simple information. wink

What if I ask you to search in even heavy going literature?

Ignorant on top of being fraudulent mumu kawai.

smiley

smiley
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Kay17: 7:21pm On Feb 09, 2013
Enigma: ^^^ On this thread, I have not got involved with the issue of the origin of the Roman Catholic Church. If I have done so, quote me and I will apologise.

smiley

1. It became an issue when you tried making a distinction btw Roman Catholic Church and Catholic Church.

2. Ok, even if I conceded with your Septuagint Bible story, what would it prove? That any book remotely called a Bible is satisfactorily a foundational guide for christianity?
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 7:27pm On Feb 09, 2013
Kay 17: 1. It became an issue when you tried making a distinction btw Roman Catholic Church and Catholic Church.

On this thread or somewhere else?

Kay 17: 2. Ok, even if I conceded with your Septuagint Bible story, what would it prove? That any book remotely called a Bible is satisfactorily a foundational guide for christianity?

That you did not know the meaning of "the Bible".

That you are wrong to say that only a book which includes the apocrypha/deuterocanonicals can be called "the Bible"

smiley
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Kay17: 9:45pm On Feb 09, 2013
A bible literally means a collection of books/scrolls. However we are not discussing a random collection or anthology, we are referring to the foundational guide of Christianity.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 9:51pm On Feb 09, 2013
^^^ And a "foundational guide" (in the sense you are using the phrase) of Christianity that was the first to be called "the Bible" is The Septuagint. smiley

I wonder if you know what The Septuagint is and its role in the New Testament. wink

smiley
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by truthislight: 10:46pm On Feb 09, 2013
Zikkyy:

No, i don't. i try to make my practice as simple as possible without introducing unnecessary complexities.

I see this as one of those unnecessary complexities. what is my business with purgatory. My brother am interested in the final destination and not some imaginary bus-stop deduced from some ancient practices.

cool
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Kay17: 11:10pm On Feb 09, 2013
Enigma: ^^^ And a "foundational guide" (in the sense you are using the phrase) of Christianity that was the first to be called "the Bible" is The Septuagint. smiley

I wonder if you know what The Septuagint is and its role in the New Testament. wink

smiley

So you mean to say, Christians used the Septuagint as THE foundational guide till the Catholics came along??
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 11:19pm On Feb 09, 2013
Kay 17:

Hmmm smiley

So you mean to say, Christians used the Septuagint as THE foundational guide till the Catholics came along??

What book do you think the Christians who received the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost were using?

What book do you think the Christians we read of in the Acts of the Apostles were using?

From which book do you think Old Testament Scriptures were quoted for reference by the authors of the books of the New Testament?

smiley
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Zikkyy(m): 11:26pm On Feb 09, 2013
italo:

Maybe you should try telling this to Jesus. Just look at what he said:

Matt 16:18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”

And this power didn't end with the apostles...Jesus said "MY CHURCH"...and his Church has not ended. He also said:

My brother, i don't see infallibility here o!

italo:
Matt28:19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

"...TO THE VERY END OF THE AGE..."

Are the apostles still baptizing and teaching?

So who will he "be with" until the end?

Answer: their successors - the Church.

....and nothing relating to infallibility here as well. Christ said "teach them to obey everything i have commanded you". what happens when the pope decides to teach them what Christ did not command? is he still infallible?

1 Like

Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Zikkyy(m): 11:42pm On Feb 09, 2013
italo:
"Unnecessary complexities?!" What if your "simple practice" is against Gods teaching?

By keeping it simple, chances/probability of me going wrong is reduced. probability that you will go wrong is increased when you start adding practices not expressly stated (arrived at after making some complex deductions). You see the work you have to go through to prove that use of images is allowed.

italo:
Jesus said "unless you eat my flesh and drink my blood, you have no life in you."

Some say eating his "flesh" and "blood" merely means to believe in him.

Others say it is eating "bread" and drinking "wine" which are mere SYMBOLS of his body and blood.

The Catholic Church says it is receiving the ACTUAL body, blood, soul and divinity of Christ in the Holy Eucharist which only remains under the appearance of bread and wine after consecration by a Catholic priest during mass.

What is your "simple practce" about this?

....haba! i did not critic this one na! sad

italo:
What you call "unnecessary complexity" was revealed to us by God.

No wahala. after all i no dey there to say its true or not true.

italo:
1Cor 3:15 says: "If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames."

Read the passage and tell me where one will be saved as one escaping through fire. Heaven?! There is no fire in heaven. Hell?! No one will be saved from hell. So if not Purgatory, where and how?

so tell me, did you accept Christ so you can make purgatory?

1 Like

Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 11:46pm On Feb 09, 2013
^^^ Let me let you in on a little secret; keep it under your hat and don't let anyone know!

For most of its early history the Roman Catholic Church itself did not believe in papal infallibility at least. Don't forget that papal infallibility is a key if not the main plank of the Roman Catholic doctrine of "infallibility". wink
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Zikkyy(m): 12:08am On Feb 10, 2013
italo:
I don't understand you here.

Are you saying you trust the authenticity of the books of the Bible because they were in use by the early Christians...?

Or are you saying you DON'T trust the authenticity of the books of the Bible?

You seem to be confused here.

If acceptance is NOT because of the infallibility of the Church, then what is your acceptance based on?

No confusion at all. The Pope did not write his own version of rhapsody of realities or any of those pastoral books and claim it was the word of God. Just imagine a situation where the Pope comes up to altar one sunday morning and lay before the congregation some set of books previously un-heard of and say some were written by Paul, some by Peter and some by Jesus himself. He then instruct that the books should be accepted as the word of God, am sure italo will not believe the pope is serious. Infallibility was not the basis for accepting the books in the bible. validity is further reinforced by the fact that these books were already in use by the early Christians. Am sure the church adopted a scientific approach at the point of deciding the authors of these books, it was not done by divine revelation abi? or did the pope wake up one morning and say this one was written by Paul & this one was written by Peter with no basis for such decision? So if we decide to flow with the arrangement, it's probably because we see sense in the approach adopted not because the pope cannot be wrong.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Zikkyy(m): 12:16am On Feb 10, 2013
Enigma: ^^^ Let me let you in on a little secret; keep it under your hat and don't let anyone know!

For most of its early history the Roman Catholic Church itself did not believe in papal infallibility at least. Don't forget that papal infallibility is a key if not the main plank of the Roman Catholic doctrine of "infallibility". wink

Thank you bros. i have difficulty getting maself involved in discussions of this nature cos ma knowledge of church history is not so good and am too lazy to make any serious research.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Zikkyy(m): 12:28am On Feb 10, 2013
@italo, please note that i am not saying the Catholic Church is wrong or right on any matter (i have done my best to avoid going into that. it is not in my nature to criticize churches). My focus is only on the matter of infallibility. I believe the Pope to be human and that it is very possible for him to teach wrong if he want to. Jesus did not say that Church leaders are on auto pilot and therefore cannot go beyond the programed instructions. They are not expected to teach wrong stuff if they continue to teach only what Christ commanded.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 12:29am On Feb 10, 2013
Zikkyy:

Thank you bros. i have difficulty getting maself involved in discussions of this nature cos ma knowledge of church history is not so good and am too lazy to make any serious research.

Bros, don't worry.

One serious thing to say though: I admire your keep it simple approach. If only we can all see this, be humble and not tied to denomination etc etc etc etc etc etc etc . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . sigh!
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 1:40am On Feb 10, 2013
italo:

You seem to be forgetting that the Church is not just a any group but the household of God, the pillar and foundation of the truth, according to 1Tim 3:15.

How do we know that the Bible is the word of God? Is it Jesus that told us or the Church? If it was Jesus, can you provide the verse where Jesus mentioned the word Bible?

When Peter and Paul had a dispute, where did they turn to as final authority? Was it the Bible or the Church? If it was the Bible, provide the verse that says so.
Sorry for my late reply. I lost my 'active' phone.
Now to the above. First, I'd like to say that your demand for a bible passage is plainly, to put it rightly, very appaling. It is not proper to ask for a passage when you've not provided any for the already asked. Let's do it this way italo: for every of your question, you answer one of mine. Also for a start, study, don't just read, the entire chapter one of john
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Nobody: 1:55am On Feb 10, 2013
italo, the problem below was the first I presented in this thread. All I want is simply, tell me what is wrong with it. Convince me otherwise.
Reyginus: Statues For Worship
The claim to its origin emanated from:
Exodus 25:18-19
Numbers 21:8-9
1kings 6:23-29
This is a mind-control initiative, as well as a disguised form of idol worship.
Oh! Please don't get angry now, this journey is still far.
Our subconscious mind can be quite assimilating. Once it gets even a glimpse of a thing for a repeated time, we begin to lose sustenance in its absence. Where is the illuminati when you need them?
The idea of images, according to us, is in the power of symbolism and hebrews 13:7. Lies.
Let's x-ray the verses up there for precision.
I) Exodus 25:18-19:' make two winged creatures of hammered gold, one for each of the lid'
The point 'we' miss here is that there was an orderer(God) 25vs1. We sideline that important determinant factor. God, the orderer was giving an order which must be obeyed.
In our case, who ordered our church(catholic) to make statues? A man. Who's man to know better the creators choice of worship? Is it biblically correct? No. So, why practise it?
One thing is certain. For our christainity to have control the bible must be without control.
II) Numbers 21:18-19:' then the lord said to moses.......'. I need not say more. The uncaused one was as usual doing his thing.
Their is a difference between God asking man to do a thing, and man thinking God will like a thing. While former gives life in abundant, the later takes from it.
III) 1 Kings 6:23:'two winged creatures were made of olive wood and placed, each one 4.4metres tall'
It seems no orderer is here. So yeah, the catholic church is justified? No. Don't go that way brother.
The temple was built in accordance with the 'taste' of God. He asked and pressed for it. Definitely, he must have given the manual.
We've been living scripts of men whose interest is not for our interest. Unless we rise and succumb, the church will be succumbed.
The advent of statues came with, emperor constantine, merging christainity with the idolators of the time in other to get a central satisfying religion. Though the goal achieved, the effect disastrous.
Broadly, we still stench of idolatory.
If the goal was to make us remember heroes past, we've achieved more. Check our treasure box: mental slavery, partial idolatory and above all, the big bang for atheism.
I will never venerate an image.

1 Like

Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by italo: 5:16am On Feb 10, 2013
@ Zickky,

You just keep scrolling through my response without facing it head-on.

Its okay, you have a right to believe the Church is wrong or right...and of course, you have a right to remain eternally confused about issues pertaining to your salvation. But since you are talking about "infallibility" I will only ask you questions - one by one.

Peter wrote two books in the Bible and of course must have conducted many teachings to the Church which are not in those two small letters. Was he writing and teaching fallibly or infallibly?

Please, all that is needed is a very short and honest answer. Don't be like Enigma whose number one enemy is truth.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by italo: 5:49am On Feb 10, 2013
Reyginus: First, I'd like to say that your demand for a bible passage is plainly, to put it rightly, very appaling. It is not proper to ask for a passage when you've not provided any for the already asked.

It is not appaling at all. I have deliberately not answered you with any Bible verses because I do not believe that the Bible is our only and final authority on faith and doctrinal matters. I do not believe that Christians should only practise what is explicitly written in the Bible as you do. On the contrary, you believe that if it is not in the Bible, Christians should flee from it, so I am asking you just to rubbish that your belief:

How do we know the Bible is the word of God? Is it the Church that told us or Jesus? If it is Jesus, show me the verse where Jesus says "the Bible is the word of God" or even just mentions the word "Bible"

When Peter and Paul had a dispute, where did they turn to for final authority? The Bible or the Church? If it is the Bible, show us where the Bible says so.

If you cannot prove your positions from the Bible then you must admit that Christians can believe or practise things that are not in the Bible before this your "show me where it is in the Bible argument" can continue.

Reyginus: Let's do it this way italo: for every of your question, you answer one of mine. Also for a start, study, don't just read, the entire chapter one of john

If you address my statement above, I am more eager than you to trade questions - one by one. Provided you will give clear honest answers and not do ENIGMAtic merry-go-rounds on every question.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 6:18am On Feb 10, 2013
italo: . . . . . . Don't be like Enigma whose number one enemy is truth.

And you are of course still a fraud and a liar. wink

smiley
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by truthislight: 6:41am On Feb 10, 2013
someone posted this on the queen of heaven thread:

GiantParrot: As someone who hails from a mostly Catholic family, I have been having my own problems with digesting the dogmatic (in my opinion) statements about Mary and the Church in general. I'm even getting disillusioned with all forms of religious formalism. After years of careful observation and introspection leading to freedom from denial, I am beginning to view religion the way it is currently practiced (and even what has being in practice in the past) with great suspicion. It's beginning to look more to me as a pardonable cause for brazen hypocrisy. I do however, still believe in God. Here are my problems with the Roman Catholic Church:

1. Mary is the Mother of God? This statement sounds very misleading to me. When I hear the word: God, I think of a Divine Being that exists from everlasting to everlasting. How can He then have a mother? Did Mary give birth to Jesus' divinity as the statement suggests? If anyone decides to give an answer, I would remind you that I am no longer in the frame of mind to deceive myself anymore. Please give a reasonable explanation.

2. Why is the Pope said to be infallible and a heir to Peter? Was Peter infallible?
3. Where did the term Pontifex Maximus come from?
4. Why is the Pope referred to as Holy Father and Catholic Priests as Fathers? Please read Matthew 23:9 and Luke 17:11
5. Peter did marry. Why do Popes and Priest not get married?
6. I find the murder of Galileo to be very disturbing given that the people who tried him and tortured him were supposed to be the closest to God
7. The inquisitions. There is hardly anything more antithetical to the love and compassion demonstrated by Jesus Christ than the inquisitions.
8. The sales of indulgences so as to provide the means for the construction of St. Peters Basilica.
9. What has the Church done to check molestation of minors? Do those found guilty of molestation get to face the weight of the law?
10. What relationship does God really have with Rome?

ok, in the instance someone wishes to enlightens us, let me open this for ease of quote:
>>>
As someone who hails from a mostly Catholic family, I have been having my own problems with digesting the dogmatic (in my opinion) statements about Mary and the Church in general. I'm even getting disillusioned with all forms of religious formalism. After years of careful observation and introspection leading to freedom from denial, I am beginning to view religion the way it is currently practiced (and even what has being in practice in the past) with great suspicion. It's beginning to look more to me as a pardonable cause for brazen hypocrisy. I do however, still believe in God. Here are my problems with the Roman Catholic Church:

1. Mary is the Mother of God? This statement sounds very misleading to me. When I hear the word: God, I think of a Divine Being that exists from everlasting to everlasting. How can He then have a mother? Did Mary give birth to Jesus' divinity as the statement suggests? If anyone decides to give an answer, I would remind you that I am no longer in the frame of mind to deceive myself anymore. Please give a reasonable explanation.

2. Why is the Pope said to be infallible and a heir to Peter? Was Peter infallible?
3. Where did the term Pontifex Maximus come from?
4. Why is the Pope referred to as Holy Father and Catholic Priests as Fathers? Please read Matthew 23:9 and Luke 17:11
5. Peter did marry. Why do Popes and Priest not get married?
6. I find the murder of Galileo to be very disturbing given that the people who tried him and tortured him were supposed to be the closest to God
7. The inquisitions. There is hardly anything more antithetical to the love and compassion demonstrated by Jesus Christ than the inquisitions.
8. The sales of indulgences so as to provide the means for the construction of St. Peters Basilica.
9. What has the Church done to check molestation of minors? Do those found guilty of molestation get to face the weight of the law?
10. What relationship does God really have with Rome?
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Kay17: 9:17am On Feb 10, 2013
Enigma:

What book do you think the Christians who received the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost were using?

What book do you think the Christians we read of in the Acts of the Apostles were using?

From which book do you think Old Testament Scriptures were quoted for reference by the authors of the books of the New Testament?

smiley

You ought to tell me that, because the conclusion drawn is that the Bible is a provisional book, that can be substracted and added without scruple.
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Enigma(m): 9:30am On Feb 10, 2013
^^^ I don't "ought to tell" you anything! You should be sure of your position before arguing! And when someone points out to you that you might be wrong, you should slow down and check things; not that after you had made shakara you now ask to be told things. smiley

And your statement about addition and subtraction "without scruple" is another example of your need to study these things carefully and honestly. Earlier, I gave you two links in another post; you can follow the second link for information on this particular point. wink

smiley
Re: My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection by Kay17: 11:44am On Feb 10, 2013
^^ you asked the questions which obviously go against my position. You were to make authoritative statements! Like the Bible is provisional!

My position has always being the sum total of OT, Apocrypha and NT make up the Bible which is the foundational guide for Christianity. That without these books, the Christian experience can not be captured.

Hence it is difficult to imagine a provisional bible without any of Jesus' teachings or a narrative on his death!!

The two links were endless debates. I need to study right?! Looool!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (27) (Reply)

Police Interrogates Biodun Fatoyinbo Over Rape Allegation By Busola Dakolo / Science Disproves Evolution / The Problem With Dreams, Visions And Clairvoyance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.