Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,119 members, 7,818,348 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:17 PM

Oil Workers Zone. - Career (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Oil Workers Zone. (166357 Views)

2,000 Visafone Workers Fired As MTN Completes Acquisition / MTN, Etisalat And Glo: How They Pay Their Workers - www.NigerianBulletin.com / Oil Workers And Bankers Who Earns More (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (64) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oil Workers Zone. by ayodot(m): 1:47pm On Jan 11, 2013
@all. Compliments

I studied chemical and polymer engineering and HSE 1 and 2 training PMPI institute. I did an elective in reservoir engineering.
Please, I need a job in an oil company. whether offshore, onshore; permanent contract or sub contract; well paid or averagely paid; shifting or permanant day. Something that end my sitting down at home. Any form of assistance will be appreciated. My mail ayotunde.odusanya@yahoo.com

thanks in advance
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jan 11, 2013
ayodot: @all. Compliments

I studied chemical and polymer engineering and HSE 1 and 2 training PMPI institute. I did an elective in reservoir engineering.
Please, I need a job in an oil company. whether offshore, onshore; permanent contract or sub contract; well paid or averagely paid; shifting or permanant day. Something that end my sitting down at home. Any form of assistance will be appreciated. My mail ayotunde.odusanya@yahoo.com

thanks in advance
What did you graduate with?
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by ayodot(m): 7:13pm On Jan 11, 2013

1 Like

Re: Oil Workers Zone. by log1(m): 10:35am On Jan 12, 2013
@Scantee, Kitty kat, Vikin, Efe4luv, X-fire, 2sexy, et al.

Please i need your advice because it will go along way in modelling my career path. I just finished my undergraduate studies from the department of Mining Engineering in FUTA. I'm due for NYSC this March. I want to build my career in oil and gas sector expecially in drilling and production. But my problem is how to go about it expecially in this period when you are require to have alot of certifications and experience.

These reasons have made me conclude to influence my posting to PH because its one of the hub of oil and gas operations in Nigeria. Please which relevant certification can i register for during my service year and how can i get experience by working in any oil and gas company, i dont mind not being paid.

P.S. I graduated as the third best in my department with a CGPA closer to 4.5. Thanks
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by kittykat1(f): 11:06am On Jan 12, 2013
For most of the fresh graduates, u do not need any certifications. When u come to PH, vsist their coys at Transamdadi and drop ur CV. Als be at alert on online adverts and drop ur CV. Visit online Oil and Gas forums and acquaint urself with the industry. Join SPE and network. The best way to go is networking. Don't just be someone with a high CGPA. These Oil oys need ppl who are driven, who have good leadership ability and initiative. I as in an intevrview session where I was rated the highest, meanwhile I had the lowest gp and scored the least in the prelimnary test. The 3 1st class materials their didn't even make it. Involve urself during service in activities that show that ur a re team player and u hv leadership abilitiy. This would boost ur CV and u cld blow ur trumpet abt it during ur interview.
log1: @Scantee, Kitty kat, Vikin, Efe4luv, X-fire, 2sexy, et al.

Please i need your advice because it will go along way in modelling my career path. I just finished my undergraduate studies from the department of Mining Engineering in FUTA. I'm due for NYSC this March. I want to build my career in oil and gas sector expecially in drilling and production. But my problem is how to go about it expecially in this period when you are require to have alot of certifications and experience.

These reasons have made me conclude to influence my posting to PH because its one of the hub of oil and gas operations in Nigeria. Please which relevant certification can i register for during my service year and how can i get experience by working in any oil and gas company, i dont mind not being paid.

P.S. I graduated as the third best in my department with a CGPA closer to 4.5. Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 11:41am On Jan 12, 2013
kitty kat: For most of the fresh graduates, u do not need any certifications. When u come to PH, vsist their coys at Transamdadi and drop ur CV. Als be at alert on online adverts and drop ur CV. Visit online Oil and Gas forums and acquaint urself with the industry. Join SPE and network. The best way to go is networking. Don't just be someone with a high CGPA. These Oil oys need ppl who are driven, who have good leadership ability and initiative. I as in an intevrview session where I was rated the highest, meanwhile I had the lowest gp and scored the least in the prelimnary test. The 3 1st class materials their didn't even make it. Involve urself during service in activities that show that ur a re team player and u hv leadership abilitiy. This would boost ur CV and u cld blow ur trumpet abt it during ur interview.
I think Kitty Kat has said it all. Kudos to her. I am on my second employment with very reputable oil firms and I don't have a major certification. As a matter of fact, I don't even have a masters. I also graduated with a GP close to first class (as a matter of fact, I'm still 'angry' with my dept for 'denying' me a first...lol). It's not really about CGPA but how you can perform in the tests and interviews.
To add to what she said, the fact that you are posted to PH does not guarantee that you will eventually get an attachment with an oil firm, though I advise that you try. Wherever you find yourself, I will strongly advise that you maximize all the learning opportunities and start preparing yourself for the kind of job you want.
I hope your degree will not be a minor challenge. Are you familiar with drilling and production in your degree programme? If not, no need to worry - Just prove that you are worth employing during your recruitment process. You can always learn on the job. Wish you the best!
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by log1(m): 12:27pm On Jan 12, 2013
kitty kat: For most of the fresh graduates, u do not need any certifications. When u come to PH, vsist their coys at Transamdadi and drop ur CV. Als be at alert on online adverts and drop ur CV. Visit online Oil and Gas forums and acquaint urself with the industry. Join SPE and network. The best way to go is networking. Don't just be someone with a high CGPA. These Oil oys need ppl who are driven, who have good leadership ability and initiative. I as in an intevrview session where I was rated the highest, meanwhile I had the lowest gp and scored the least in the prelimnary test. The 3 1st class materials their didn't even make it. Involve urself during service in activities that show that ur a re team player and u hv leadership abilitiy. This would boost ur CV and u cld blow ur trumpet abt it during ur interview.
Thanks for your advice.I'm very grateful. I don crown u the first lady of this thread, do accept our chieftaincy offer..lol
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by log1(m): 12:41pm On Jan 12, 2013
x-fire:

I think Kitty Kat has said it all. Kudos to her. I am on my second employment with very reputable oil firms and I don't have a major certification. As a matter of fact, I don't even have a masters. I also graduated with a GP close to first class (as a matter of fact, I'm still 'angry' with my dept for 'denying' me a first...lol). It's not really about CGPA but how you can perform in the tests and interviews.
To add to what she said, the fact that you are posted to PH does not guarantee that you will eventually get an attachment with an oil firm, though I advise that you try. Wherever you find yourself, I will strongly advise that you maximize all the learning opportunities and start preparing yourself for the kind of job you want.
I hope your degree will not be a minor challenge. Are you familiar with drilling and production in your degree programme? If not, no need to worry - Just prove that you are worth employing during your recruitment process. You can always learn on the job. Wish you the best!
Wow very painful that your department did allow you to graduate with a First class anyway we thank God because you got a first class brain.

I knw much abt drilling and production because i have done alot of core petroleum engineering courses like oil and gas well drilling, petroleum reservior, rock mechanics and series of geology courses. Thou my course name(mining eng) may be scaring when heard bt i can prove them wrong when given d chance.

It is certain that my PPA will be a teaching job if posted to Ph. But i'm influencing it to dat state to argument my course of study by working in any available servicing coy even thou they may choose not to pay, just for experience sake. I dnt mind if u could help
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by NoQualms1(f): 12:53pm On Jan 12, 2013

I got your PM friend. I'm so proud of you. Congrats. You've been given alot of advices on this thread, make use of them. Don't worry, with determination and hardwork, you will get there.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by NoQualms1(f): 12:53pm On Jan 12, 2013

I got your PM friend. I'm so proud of you. Congrats. You've been given alot of advices on this thread, make use of them. Don't worry, with determination and hardwork, you will get there.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by kittykat1(f): 1:04pm On Jan 12, 2013
Lagos might actually be better than PH. Serzly. Most admin office of these guys are in Lag. Also I noticed that things happen faster in Lagos.more opportunites abound. PH is second to lagos.kepp reading more drilling stuff. So that u can have them at the tip of ur fingers.
log1:
Wow very painful that your department did allow you to graduate with a First class anyway we thank God because you got a first class brain.

I knw much abt drilling and production because i have done alot of core petroleum engineering courses like oil and gas well drilling, petroleum reservior, rock mechanics and series of geology courses. Thou my course name(mining eng) may be scaring when heard bt i can prove them wrong when given d chance.

It is certain that my PPA will be a teaching job if posted to Ph. But i'm influencing it to dat state to argument my course of study by working in any available servicing coy even thou they may choose not to pay, just for experience sake. I dnt mind if u could help
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by ayodot(m): 1:47pm On Jan 12, 2013
x-fire:

What did you graduate with?

So, do I stand a chance?
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by sawyer89: 2:10pm On Jan 12, 2013
kitty kat:

U r right in my case I strolled because I was adequately prepared. Its not ur intelligence, degrees and certifications that gets you the job. Its your preparedness for that particular job and a positive mindset. For everyone I know it was easy o.

Permit me to ask ma, how did you prepare yourself?What set you apart from others (qualifications, skills, certifications etc)?
Which of the field of engineering did you study in school?
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by kittykat1(f): 2:22pm On Jan 12, 2013
I studied an Engineering Course. WHat set me apart were:
1. Carriage: I presented myself as someone with loads of confidence even when I didn't know the answers to questions, I acknowledged that I didn't know and asked the interviewer to educate me. When they tried to make fun of me, I didn't frown, I smiled and tried to get carried along and when it didn't work, I shut up. I communicated well. I made sure I pushed points accross in goodand simple english. I was very interesting to watch.

2. I boosted my leadership abilities and team spirit qaulities.its only u that can blow ur trumpet. So blow it very well. I made friends with ppl easily and tried to co-operate.
3. Before then, I had tried to gather as much info abt the OIl and gas industry and the company itself.

I had no certifications. I had only a 2:1.
sawyer89:

Permit me to ask ma, how did you prepare yourself?What set you apart from others (qualifications, skills, certifications etc)?
Which of the field of engineering did you study in school?
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by sawyer89: 5:51pm On Jan 12, 2013
Thanks for the reply.What of the technical sessions of the interview?How did you tackle them?
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jan 12, 2013
ayodot:

So, do I stand a chance?
Sorry I didn't reply you on time. Definitely you do. You just have to work harder and prove yourself wherever you get to. And never be too 'big' or egoistic to start small so as to garner experience.
Networking is a good idea. Join and attend professional associations. You will get to meet people. You can market yourself. Also do yourself good by working on your CV. Let your CV stand out. It all depends on packaging. You can also consider submitting unsolicited applications.
Personally, all the jobs I have gotten since my sojourn in the labour market has been purely on merit and thus, I don't really know influential people in the industry. Though I plan and I'm working towards starting serious networking partly because I want to be able to help upcoming guys.
Wish you well, bro...
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by kittykat1(f): 6:46pm On Jan 12, 2013
Have a wide knowledge and pray that what u know is what u r asked. On a more serious note, try to ask ppl who did d interview before u so that u have an idea.
sawyer89: Thanks for the reply.What of the technical sessions of the interview?How did you tackle them?
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by ayodot(m): 8:36pm On Jan 12, 2013
x-fire:

Sorry I didn't reply you on time. Definitely you do. You just have to work harder and prove yourself wherever you get to. And never be too 'big' or egoistic to start small so as to garner experience.
Networking is a good idea. Join and attend professional associations. You will get to meet people. You can market yourself. Also do yourself good by working on your CV. Let your CV stand out. It all depends on packaging. You can also consider submitting unsolicited applications.
Personally, all the jobs I have gotten since my sojourn in the labour market has been purely on merit and thus, I don't really know influential people in the industry. Though I plan and I'm working towards starting serious networking partly because I want to be able to help upcoming guys.
Wish you well, bro...

thanks, for the advise. pls suggest some professional group site I could visit or join.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by sawyer89: 3:12am On Jan 13, 2013
kitty kat: Have a wide knowledge and pray that what u know is what u r asked. On a more serious note, try to ask ppl who did d interview before u so that u have an idea.
Thanks for your replies.I'm most grateful.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by scantee(m): 7:43am On Jan 13, 2013
kitty kat: Lagos might actually be better than PH. Serzly. Most admin office of these guys are in Lag. Also I noticed that things happen faster in Lagos.more opportunites abound. PH is second to lagos.kepp reading more drilling stuff. So that u can have them at the tip of ur fingers.
i kinda disagree with you on this though! Do you know the reason why Nlng move their headquarter from Lagos to Portharcourt?... Anyway kudos for keeping this thread alaive, u have done well.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by scantee(m): 8:40am On Jan 13, 2013
@All. Sorry i have been so busy lately, but am back to give you some top secrete about mst major coy, for those of you that are seeking for employment/experience take note of this; Going to drop ur Cv to any of these major coy gives u only 2% chance of being invited, WHY? because most of the big coy do their employment by (MAN NO MAN) you might ague about that. but i know wht am telling you, the best way you can stand a chance is by online portal registration and submision. I work in ICT department and i know what am telling you, they search CVs by keywords using wildcard, e.g if your cv contain something like Mechanical Engineering, when they type it, computer will automatically sort out all the CVs with the words in order using the date of submission, the best cvs amongest all shall then be forwarded to appropriate department for review and invitation, is always adviceable to expand your cv by explaining most of your experience and skills which gives u edge during selection, if you come to our office you will be shocked, we have dozens of mannual submited cvs which no body have time to look into it, except you have your own person in the coy that will help you. (brb to continue the process....pls am using phone to post now, so the post might nt be well formated)

2 Likes

Re: Oil Workers Zone. by kittykat1(f): 10:59am On Jan 13, 2013
I moved from Lag to PH and I hv gotteen jobs for various ppl. When did Lng move to PH? Why do all those big edifices at sanusi fafunwa, lekki road, ikoyi and Vi still function. Has the total, chevron and other notable coys building been closed too. Why do top level meetings still entail flying down to lagos. I remember in my post I mentioned both online and offline CV dropping. Did seun delete the part I mentioned the online submission. All avenues must be explored. Do not underestimate d power of gatemen and cleaners in some coys. A cleaner mite be so nice to an Oga that a CV gvn to such a person will make it before one submitted online. When u talk abt man knoww man, how does it relate to online submission. I rememebr in 2009, I had to meet a company executive in a lounge in lag in order to secure a jod for someone. The person finally succeeded but do u know that out of the 5 recruits, 2 ppl were ppl who knew top executives ( my candidate included), 2 submitted to d gatemen, 1 submitted online. Pls o job-seekers don't feel that it must be on I'm levels o. In some compnaies the I M is almost zero. Especially the heavy multinationals. I still emphasize on Networking. Do not discard anyone. While a particluar contact might not get u d job, he mite give u the tips. Eg, I met a random babe at shell test some yrs ago, we became friends, later I gave her info on how to gate crash my company test, what to exepct intest and interviews and how to follow up. She was successful. Pls no one shd contact me for job seeking o. I hv since retired from that arena.
scantee: i kinda disagree with you on this though! Do you know the reason why Nlng move their headquarter from Lagos to Portharcourt?... Anyway kudos for keeping this thread alaive, u have done well.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 2:11pm On Jan 13, 2013
scantee: @All. Sorry i have been so busy lately, but am back to give you some top secrete about mst major coy, for those of you that are seeking for employment/experience take note of this; Going to drop ur Cv to any of these major coy gives u only 2% chance of being invited, WHY? because most of the big coy do their employment by (MAN NO MAN) you might ague about that. but i know wht am telling you, the best way you can stand a chance is by online portal registration and submision. I work in ICT department and i know what am telling you, they search CVs by keywords using wildcard, e.g if your cv contain something like Mechanical Engineering, when they type it, computer will automatically sort out all the CVs with the words in order using the date of submission, the best cvs amongest all shall then be forwarded to appropriate department for review and invitation, is always adviceable to expand your cv by explaining most of your experience and skills which gives u edge during selection, if you come to our office you will be shocked, we have dozens of mannual submited cvs which no body have time to look into it, except you have your own person in the coy that will help you. (brb to continue the process....pls am using phone to post now, so the post might nt be well formated)
I don't know so much about high level (experienced hires) or contract offers, but I know that entry level positions into the notable oil firms is majorly by MERIT. I'm not talking about the means of application but on the recruitment process itself. I'm speaking based on various personal and third party experiences. And I'm sure most people here seeking jobs are gunning for entry level positions. Industrial attachment/internship may be mainly by networking but definitely full employment can not be mainly by nepotism. No vision-minded oil firm will recruit based on nepotism or 'man-know-man' only.
On another note, I seem to agree with kitty kat about the edge Lagos has over PH. It is quite funny but most decisions and actions, both administrative and technical, take place in Lagos. This holds for the 'big four' at least. There are also a good number of good oil servicing coys in Lagos. Well, I won't want to engage in that debate though; it's just my personal opinion.

1 Like

Re: Oil Workers Zone. by kittykat1(f): 2:21pm On Jan 13, 2013
For very serious multi national entry level jobs even the experienced to a is majorly by merit. They have put in a lot of measures to checkmate the man-know man thingy. Networking helps you to get insiders tips on how to increases your chances of making it by merit.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 2:23pm On Jan 13, 2013
ayodot:

thanks, for the advise. pls suggest some professional group site I could visit or join.
SPE, NSE, NSChE (depending on your location, NSChE can be very useful)
NSE is particularly helpful. I know a friend who is a civil engineer (graduated with a 3rd Class) who got his first job through association with NSE. Now, he handles big design/construction works and is presently preparing for NSE corporate membership. Attending career fairs may also be helpful though I don't know much about them but I have few friends that got their jobs via fairs abroad.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 8:41am On Jan 14, 2013
Someone just sent this link to me about Transocean,

So you can apply
God help us all.

https://intl.hr-deepwater.com/Public/JobListing.aspx?JobId=131

Deadline is January 20th.

Regards

3 Likes

Re: Oil Workers Zone. by 2sexy(m): 9:09am On Jan 14, 2013
Kingsleyinfo: Someone just sent this link to me about Transocean,

So you can apply
God help us all.

https://intl.hr-deepwater.com/Public/JobListing.aspx?JobId=131

Deadline is January 20th.

Regards

I dont know if HND can apply for this, but I applied anyway. Just DO It!
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 7:42am On Jan 17, 2013
Lots of info here is outright lies.
Perhaps you guys are referring to the palm oil companies.

Let me tell you how employment works.
The quota system is divided into so many groups.

Influential leaders of oil communities have their candidates.
Top government officials and top senior oil execs have theirs.

The few remaining spot is highly competitive.
Intelligent students are head hunted from foreign schools.
Experienced staff, both local and expatriates are also headhunted.

You are left with less than 10% from which random intelligent young graduates are taken from those who scale the aptitude test.
Experienced staff who apply and meet the requirements are also considered.

For anyone to be amongst that 10% group you have to be very smart or very lucky.

Don't let anybody deceive you that they can get you in with a snap of the finger.
Lot's of people here are only talking from their Nysc or IT experience with an oil company. They don't know jack.

Submit your cv to the gate man or whomever and it ends up in the shredder.
Staff who have worked for 20yrs can't even get their people into the industry.

1 Like

Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 7:57am On Jan 17, 2013
kitty kat: I moved from Lag to PH and I hv gotteen jobs for various ppl. When did Lng move to PH? Why do all those big edifices at sanusi fafunwa, lekki road, ikoyi and Vi still function. Has the total, chevron and other notable coys building been closed too. Why do top level meetings still entail flying down to lagos. I remember in my post I mentioned both online and offline CV dropping. Did seun delete the part I mentioned the online submission. All avenues must be explored. Do not underestimate d power of gatemen and cleaners in some coys. A cleaner mite be so nice to an Oga that a CV gvn to such a person will make it before one submitted online. When u talk abt man knoww man, how does it relate to online submission. I rememebr in 2009, I had to meet a company executive in a lounge in lag in order to secure a jod for someone. The person finally succeeded but do u know that out of the 5 recruits, 2 ppl were ppl who knew top executives ( my candidate included), 2 submitted to d gatemen, 1 submitted online. Pls o job-seekers don't feel that it must be on I'm levels o. In some compnaies the I M is almost zero. Especially the heavy multinationals. I still emphasize on Networking. Do not discard anyone. While a particluar contact might not get u d job, he mite give u the tips. Eg, I met a random babe at shell test some yrs ago, we became friends, later I gave her info on how to gate crash my company test, what to exepct intest and interviews and how to follow up. She was successful. Pls no one shd contact me for job seeking o. I hv since retired from that arena.

Where did you work? Which department?
What position? How did you enter, through test or just interview?

What type of test and what type of interview?
Where and who conducted it?

Typical example of the jokers here.

2 Likes

Re: Oil Workers Zone. by 2sexy(m): 7:58am On Jan 17, 2013
BlueDiva, there is always a way for a willing heart....
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by 2sexy(m): 7:59am On Jan 17, 2013
BlueDiva:

Where did you work? Which department?
What position? How did you enter, through test or just interview?

What type of test and what type of interview?
Where and who conducted it?

Typical example of the jokers here.

Things happen in ways some people dont understand... it must not always happen the way you believe it you know?
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 8:05am On Jan 17, 2013
2sexy:

Things happen in ways some people dont understand... it must not always happen the way you believe it you know?

Do you lack comprehension skills?

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (64) (Reply)

CBN Salary + Allowances - Who Actually Knows? / Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants / Nigerian Army Recruitment List Out!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.