Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,617 members, 7,809,264 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:58 AM

Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum (36924 Views)

Chartered Statisticians And Statistician-general / Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium / Statisticians And Operations Research Analysts In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by Pacemaker: 10:22am On Nov 23, 2012
2sexy: Bro, how far. Thank God you have confirmed what I just said. Only a few Uni in the US offer this progragm.
I am good my guy. How are things with you
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by 2sexy(m): 10:53am On Nov 23, 2012
Pacemaker:
I am good my guy. How are things with you
I thank God ooo.
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by Nobody: 6:29pm On Nov 24, 2012
Fellow Analysts,

Kindly forward a detailed copy of your resume to admin@data-ville.com for possible future collaboration in data and analytics projects.

Regards!
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by kaironons: 9:29pm On Nov 27, 2012
Random-effects GLS regression Number of obs = 25
Group variable (i): firms Number of groups = 5

R-sq: within = 0.9808 Obs per group: min = 5
between = 0.9738 avg = 5.0
overall = 0.9793 max = 5

Random effects u_i ~ Gaussian Wald chi2(6) = 1190.54
corr(u_i, X) = 0 (assumed) Prob > chi2 = 0.0000

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Robust
profit | Coef. Std. Err. z P>|z| [95% Conf. Interval]
-------------+----------------------------------------------------------------
carcor | .3613505 .0143747 25.14 0.000 .3331767 .3895243
mge | .0502954 .0576554 0.87 0.383 -.0627071 .1632979
fxe | -.0005572 .011138 -0.05 0.960 -.0223873 .0212729
infl | -.0131112 .0234081 -0.56 0.575 -.0589903 .0327678
opp | -2.585814 3.175771 -0.81 0.416 -8.81021 3.638583
_cons | 2.348264 3.001341 0.78 0.434 -3.534257 8.230785
-------------+----------------------------------------------------------------
sigma_u | 0
sigma_e | .50303335
rho | 0 (fraction of variance due to u_i)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fellow analysts, pls, Can anyone interpret the coloured part? Thank you.
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by Nobody: 7:10pm On Nov 28, 2012
Geostatistical: Data analysis is my job:
SPSS,ARCGIS,ILWIS,surfer,Matlab etc....Statistical and surface modelling/Mappin all da way!

Kindly forward your resume to us. See profile for contact details.
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by 2sexy(m): 2:34pm On Nov 30, 2012
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by ishmael(m): 8:35am On Dec 15, 2012
i'm still trying to find out why statisticians are not sought for in nigeria, the way accountants are sought for. U see adverts daily ranging from one man biz to multi national firms looking for accountants, but they never look for statisticians. Why is it like that? Is it that they don't believe that statistics and statisticians can be useful to their businesses and operations?
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jan 21, 2013
ishmael: i'm still trying to find out why statisticians are not sought for in nigeria, the way accountants are sought for. U see adverts daily ranging from one man biz to multi national firms looking for accountants, but they never look for statisticians. Why is it like that? Is it that they don't believe that statistics and statisticians can be useful to their businesses and operations?

^^^
Because analytics is still evolving in Nigeria. Its a goldmine so just be focused!
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by Nobody: 12:30pm On Jan 25, 2013
DISTANCE LEARNING PROGRAMMES:

Take short courses in data analytics at your own pace and convenience of your home.

Statistical analysis with IBM SPSS
Statistical analysis with Stata
Econometric modeling and analysis with EViews
Statistical analysis with Excel
...and other data management packages with online-based examination and certification.

Enroll via www.data-ville.com/training

Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by Nobody: 4:00pm On Jan 25, 2013
WHO ARE YOUR CLIENTS??

Fellow data analysts, which clients have you consult with?

I have done analysis for undergraduates and PGs.

Tell us your experience
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by ishmael(m): 3:55pm On Jan 26, 2013
nedu213: WHO ARE YOUR CLIENTS??

Fellow data analysts, which clients have you consult with?

I have done analysis for undergraduates and PGs.

Tell us your experience
i do same too, but they don't like paying good money. Some think they can do their analyses manually and refuse to consult u.
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by esere826: 12:53pm On Jan 27, 2013
ishmael: i do same too, but they don't like paying good money. Some think they can do their analyses manually and refuse to consult u.

My experience tells me that the big money in analysis is not in Nigeria. If you work in the UK as an Analyst, you'd be pretty much successful if you have the right skills.
It is especially valued there, because you produce information that is extremely useful to top management in helping them make and take decisions and actions

Lets imagine Nairaland as an example, and lets also assume that Seun is extremely ambitious in taking it places
He calls you an analyst to provide some specific imformation, crunching through his data
That you sabi, SQL, vba, SPSS, Crystal report, performance point etc is not the realy clincher.
What will make you stand out is your ability to first give Seun the information he asked for, then slice through the data to find new patterns that could be helpful to his business

But this example is unreal. He won't ask you for that, neither will he be interested in any extra information
Our market is not yet competitive enough for analysts sad

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by Westlord: 8:54pm On Jan 27, 2013
I m a graduate of Design. Bt analysis is 1 of my interest. How can I learn it or trainee practice.
I apprc8 referrals
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by esere826: 11:33pm On Jan 27, 2013
this my data friends is what i consider to be the role of a data/information analyst

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVimVzgtD6w

A shorter version is availbel in this video
http://socialfresh.com/ted-social-media/

smiley

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by Nobody: 8:54pm On Jan 28, 2013
IBM SPSS DISTANCE LEARNING COURSE FOR ENTRY-LEVEL DATA ANALYSTS

Dear PARTICIPANT,

Thank you for indicating interest in our interesting and innovative SPSS Data Analytics Distance Learning Programme.
Our Distance Learning Programme gives you the opportunity to learn data analytics with the guidance of our online portals and resource persons.

Course Description
This course offers short to medium-term training supports to participants that are regularly required to employ analytical tools on their job or research work. Essentially, it combines the orientation towards hands-on application with a strong emphasis on quantitative approaches.
The aim is to reconcile research methodology with hands-on practice, thereby empowering participants with analytical skills and decision making. This program has been carefully scheduled in modules to provide a complete package of SPSS tool applied in empirical research.

Instructional Method
The course is an intensive practical course and therefore, candidates will be exposed to the use of SPSS. We have found that the modules make SPSS for Windows easy to use so that it is not necessary to have a formal, instructional data lab; you should be able to learn how to use SPSS Statistics on your own in this programme. Access to the SPSS program and some familiarity with Windows is all that is required.
Although SPSS Statistics for Windows is quite easy to use, there is such a wide variety of options and statistics that knowing which ones to use and how to interpret the printouts can be difficult, so this programme is intended to help with these challenges.

BRIEF CONTENTS

CHAPTER 1 A FIRST LOOK AT SPSS STATISTICS
CHAPTER 2 READING DATA FILES
CHAPTER 3 USING THE DATA EDITOR
CHAPTER 4 EXAMINING SUMMARY STATISTICS FOR INDIVIDUAL VARIABLES

Goals of this Programme
This Programme demonstrates the graphical user interface for the procedures included in SPSS Statistics to produce a variety of results that are usually included in basic and advanced statistics courses. Our goal is to describe the use and interpretation of these statistics as much as possible in non-technical, jargon-free language.

This Programme will help you develop skills that cover the whole range of the steps in the research process: design, data collection, data entry, data analysis, interpretation of outputs and writing results.
The sample data sets used in our modules is similar to one you might have for a thesis, dissertation or research project. Therefore, we think it can serve as a model for your analysis. However, you will need to have access to the SPSS software.

Special Features
1. The key SPSS Statistics Windows that you see when performing the statistical analyses. This has been helpful to “visual learners”.
2. The complete outputs for the analyses that we have done so you can see what you will get (we have done some editing in SPSS Statistics to make the outputs fit better on the pages).
3. A Quick Reference Guide to the Sample Files which provides brief descriptions of the sample files used in various examples throughout this programme.

To the Participant
We believe you will find our course materials to be a readable, easily understood treatment of Statistics using SPSS Statistics for Windows. This Programme allows you to learn the application of statistics by letting the computer carryout the heavy number crunching.

As the old adage goes, “practice makes perfect”, and mastering SPSS statistics is no exception. To this end, we have included a practice files to help you along the road to perfection. Data entry for large data sets is never an enjoyable experience, so we have included all the data sets for exercises requiring running a procedure on this page.

Certificates shall be awarded to participants after successfully completing this distance learning programme.

Best regards!

Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Team
Dataville Solutions
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by Nobody: 9:04pm On Jan 28, 2013
CHAPTER 1

A FIRST LOOK AT IBM SPSS STATISTICS

1.0 Introduction

IBM SPSS Statistics provides a powerful statistical analysis and data management system in a graphical environment, using descriptive menus and simple dialog boxes to do most of the work for you. Most tasks can be accomplished simply by pointing and clicking the mouse.

In addition to the simple point-and-click interface for statistical analysis, IBM SPSS Statistics provides:

Data Editor. The Data Editor is a versatile spreadsheet-like system for defining, entering, editing, and displaying data.

Viewer. The Viewer makes it easy to browse your results, selectively show and hide output, change the display order results, and move presentation-quality tables and charts to and from other applications.

Multidimensional pivot tables. Your results come alive with multidimensional pivot tables. Explore your tables by rearranging rows, columns, and layers. Uncover important findings that can get lost in standard reports. Compare groups easily by splitting your table so that only one group is displayed at a time.

High-resolution graphics. High-resolution, full-color pie charts, bar charts, histograms, scatterplots, 3-D graphics, and more are included as standard features.

Database access. Retrieve information from databases by using the Database Wizard instead of complicated SQL queries.

Data transformations. Transformation features help get your data ready for analysis. You can easily subset data; combine categories; add, aggregate, merge, split, and transpose files; and more.

Online Help. Detailed tutorials provide a comprehensive overview; context-sensitive Help topics in dialog boxes guide you through specific tasks; pop-up definitions in pivot table results explain statistical terms; the Statistics Coach helps you find the procedures that you need; Case Studies provide hands-on examples of how to use statistical procedures and interpret the results.

Command language. Although most tasks can be accomplished with simple point-and-click gestures, IBM SPSS Statistics also provides a powerful command language that allows you to save and automate many common tasks. The command language also provides some functionality that is not found in the menus and dialog boxes.

1.1 Windows

There are a number of different types of windows in IBM SPSS Statistics:

Data Editor. The Data Editor displays the contents of the data file. You can create new data files or modify existing data files with the Data Editor. If you have more than one data file open, there is a separate Data Editor window for each data file.

Viewer. All statistical results, tables, and charts are displayed in the Viewer. You can edit the output and save it for later use. A Viewer window opens automatically the first time you run a procedure that generates output.

Pivot Table Editor. Output that is displayed in pivot tables can be modified in many ways with the Pivot Table Editor. You can edit text, swap data in rows and columns, add color, create multidimensional tables, and selectively hide and show results.

Chart Editor. You can modify high-resolution charts and plots in chart windows. You can change the colors, select different type fonts or sizes, switch the horizontal and vertical axes, rotate 3-D scatterplots, and even change the chart type.

Text Output Editor. Text output that is not displayed in pivot tables can be modified with the Text Output Editor. You can edit the output and change font characteristics (type, style, color, size).

Syntax Editor. You can paste your dialog box choices into a syntax window, where your selections appear in the form of command syntax. You can then edit the command syntax to use special features that are not available through dialog boxes. You can save these commands in a file for use in subsequent sessions.

Exhibit 1.1
Data Editor and Viewer

Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jan 28, 2013
1.2 Dialog Boxes

Most menu selections open dialog boxes. You use dialog boxes to select variables and options for analysis. Dialog boxes for statistical procedures and charts typically have two basic components:

Source variable list. A list of variables in the active dataset. Only variable types that are allowed by the selected procedure are displayed in the source list. Use of short string and long string variables is restricted in many procedures.

Target variable list(s). One or more lists indicating the variables that you have chosen for the analysis, such as dependent and independent variable lists.

1.3 Variable Names and Variable Labels in Dialog Box Lists

You can display either variable names or variable labels in dialog box lists, and you can control the sort order of variables in source variable lists.

 To control the default display attributes of variables in source lists, choose Options on the Edit menu.

 To change the source variable list display attributes within a dialog box, right-click on any variable in the source list and select the display attributes from the context menu. You can display either variable names or variable labels (names are displayed for any variables without defined labels), and you can sort the source list by file order, alphabetical order, or measurement level.

1.4 Resizing Dialog Boxes

You can resize dialog boxes just like windows, by clicking and dragging the outside borders or corners. For example, if you make the dialog box wider, the variable lists will also be wider.

1.5 Dialog Box Controls

There are five standard controls in most dialog boxes:

OK. Runs the procedure. After you select your variables and choose any additional specifications, click OK to run the procedure and close the dialog box.

Paste. Generates command syntax from the dialog box selections and pastes the syntax into a syntax window. You can then customize the commands with additional features that are not available from dialog boxes.

Reset. Deselects any variables in the selected variable list(s) and resets all specifications in the dialog box and any subdialog boxes to the default state.

Cancel. Cancels any changes that were made in the dialog box settings since the last time it was opened and closes the dialog box. Within a session, dialog box settings are persistent. A dialog box retains your last set of specifications until you override them.

Help. Provides context-sensitive Help. This control takes you to a Help window that contains information about the current dialog box.

1.6 Selecting Variables

To select a single variable, simply select it in the source variable list and drag and drop it into the target variable list. You can also use arrow button to move variables from the source list to the target lists. If there is only one target variable list, you can double-click individual variables to move them from the source list to the target list.

You can also select multiple variables:

 To select multiple variables that are grouped together in the variable list, click the first variable and then Shift-click the last variable in the group.

 To select multiple variables that are not grouped together in the variable list, click the first variable, then Ctrl-click the next variable, and so on (Macintosh: Command-click).

1.7 Basic Steps in Data Analysis

Analyzing data with IBM SPSS Statistics is easy. All you have to do is:

Get your data into IBM SPSS Statistics. You can open a previously saved IBM SPSS Statistics data file, you can read a spreadsheet, database, or text data file, or you can enter your data directly in the Data Editor.

Select a procedure. Select a procedure from the menus to calculate statistics or to create a chart.

Select the variables for the analysis. The variables in the data file are displayed in a dialog box for the procedure.

Run the procedure and look at the results. Results are displayed in the Viewer.

Below are: Figure 1.1
Variable labels displayed in a dialog box
&
Figure 1.2
Resized dialog box RESPECTIVELY

Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by WarHorse1(m): 9:20am On Jan 29, 2013
A group on Nigerian Data Analyst exist also in http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Nigerian-Data-Analysts-4727019?goback=.anp_4727019_1359447478286_1. you may want to contribute there also.
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by Nobody: 10:32am On Jan 30, 2013
Dear analysts,
This is an open request to everyone. I have been looking for a free copy of this e-book for months without success "DISCOVERING STATISTICS WITH SPSS" by Andy Field 2nd or 3rd edition. I'm also willing to pay token if I can't get it for free. Thanks in advance.
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by kaironons: 12:13pm On Feb 01, 2013
BECOME A CONSULTANT ON POVERTY MEASUREMENT
Measuring Poverty
There are many different definitions and concepts of well-being. This piece focuses on three aspects of well-being: poverty, defined as whether households or individuals have enough resources or abilities today to meet their needs; inequality in the distribution of income, consumption or other attributes across the population; and vulnerability, defined here as the probability or risk today of being in poverty – or falling deeper into poverty -- in the future. It then briefly presents some of the issues which arise when measuring poverty, including issues of comparability between surveys, before turning to the types of measurement which can be undertaken for various types of data sources.
1. Measuring poverty:
o Defining welfare measures
o Choosing and estimating poverty lines
o Choosing and estimating poverty indicators
2. Measuring inequality
3. Measuring vulnerability
4. Issues
5. Data for measurement
Although the concepts, measures and analytical tools can be applied to numerous dimensions of well-being – such as income, consumption, health, education and assets ownership - this piece mainly focuses on the income and consumption dimension and only casually refers to the other dimensions.
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by Nobody: 2:42pm On Feb 01, 2013
CHAPTER 2

READING DATA FILES

2.0 Introduction

Data can be entered directly, or it can be imported from a number of different sources. The processes for reading data stored in IBM SPSS Statistics data files; spreadsheet applications, such as Microsoft Excel files are all discussed in this chapter.

2.1 Basic Structure of IBM SPSS Statistics Data Files

IBM SPSS Statistics data files are organized by cases (rows) and variables (columns). In this data file, cases represent individual respondents to a survey. Variables represent responses to each question asked in the survey.

2.2 Reading IBM SPSS Statistics Data Files[email][/email]

IBM SPSS Statistics data files, which have a .sav file extension, contain your saved data. To open demo.sav, an example file installed with the product:

►From the menus choose:
File
Open
Data...

►Browse to and open demo.sav. For more information, see the topic Sample Files in Appendix A

The data are now displayed in the Data Editor.

2.3 Reading Data from Spreadsheets

Rather than typing all of your data directly into the Data Editor, you can read data from applications such as Microsoft Excel. You can also read column headings as variable names.

►From the menus choose:
File
Open
Data...
►Select Excel (*.xls) as the file type you want to view.

►Open demo.xls. For more information, see the topic Sample Files in Appendix A

The Opening Excel Data Source dialog box is displayed, allowing you to specify whether variable names are to be included in the spreadsheet, as well as the cells that you want to import. In Excel 95 or later, you can also specify which worksheets you want to import.

►Make sure that Read variable names from the first row of data is selected. This option reads column
headings as variable names.

If the column headings do not conform to the IBM SPSS Statistics variable-naming rules, they are converted into valid variable names and the original column headings are saved as variable labels. If you want to import only a portion of the spreadsheet, specify the range of cells to be imported in the Range text box.

►Click OK to read the Excel file.

The data now appear in the Data Editor, with the column headings used as variable names. Since variable names cannot contain spaces, the spaces from the original column headings have been removed. For example, Marital status in the Excel file becomes the variable Maritalstatus. The original column heading is retained as a variable label.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by Nobody: 1:19pm On Feb 02, 2013
• demo.sav. This is a hypothetical data file that concerns a purchased customer database, for the purpose of mailing monthly offers. Whether or not the customer responded to the offer is recorded, along with various demographic information.

Kindly request for practice file via www.data-ville.com/admin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by Nobody: 11:54am On Feb 09, 2013
Interesting thread... good to know people are getting on this stuff already
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by esere826: 6:33am On Feb 11, 2013
You're doing a great job dataville
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by partnersdata: 4:43pm On Feb 19, 2013
Good day to you all:

Partners Growth Inc. is a Research Agency with more than 10 years experience in all aspects of research.

We have handled different research projects for several corporate organisations and individuals. These include SSpecs Limited, The Leeds Fisheries; and students in MBA, M.Sc and PhD programmes.

Our areas of expertise include:

1. Research overview and scoping
2. Review of target audience and project focus
3. Questionnaire Management (Preparation; Distribution to target audience, etc)
4. Data Management (Data simulation, coding, analysis, interpretation and inferences)
5. Product Feedback and Customer Responses
6. Project reporting and presentation

We also offer training to interested individuals and corporate organizations in SPSS, Data Analysis, Methodology and Sampling, Research Basics, etc.

We shall be glad to handle your research and data work; and deliver standard, reliable and workable project reports.

Please reach us via email: partnersdata@gmail.com or call: 07068820428

Partnersdata Inc...your data in the hands of data experts!
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by Nobody: 12:34pm On Apr 14, 2013
Partnership Opportunities in Dataville Research Solutions Ltd.

Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by ishmael(m): 4:43pm On Apr 14, 2013
nedu213: Partnership Opportunities in Dataville Research Solutions Ltd.
i'm interested in ur partnership.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality / 6 Exceptional Nigerians Who Work At Apple / Computer Science: Where Can I Work?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.