Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,466 members, 7,819,703 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:19 PM

Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. (12588 Views)

I Won’t Touch Amaechi’s Rivers Monorail- Wike / How Technical Consultants Advised Amaechi Against Monorail Project After Collect / The Truth About Amaechi Monorail Project With Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by Ejine(m): 10:37am On Nov 24, 2012
Sorry, but ths Monorail program looks and smells like a big fat white elephant!
Look around you. All over the world, Monorails are deeply loathed by municipals because they are EXPENSIVE, OVERBLOATED, and above all, USELESS!
A decent Lightrail system would have done the job for the Rivers transport situation.

You might want to read up on Las Vegas' near-fatal (financially) mistake with the Monorail system, and how it almost crippled that city.

Everybody hates the Monorail. And I should know - I'm an architect by profession, specializing on city development and modelling.
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by odumdesmond: 10:38am On Nov 24, 2012
taharqa: GREAT sights! Beaurifu... Railways constructions and reconstructions/rehabilitations are going-on across parts of the nation in ways neva witnessd in d nation's history: Fashola's inter-Lagos modern rail lines are stridding on; the FG rehabilitation of all existing narrow guages across the nation (the 2 lines Lagos-kano and PH-maiduguri and dier branches, with trains now running on most parts of Lagos-Kano) is also stridding on; Abuja-kaduna Standard guage also on-going and at around 48% completion; inter-Abuja Standard rail lines on-going as well; Standard guage Ajaokuta-Aladja-Warri track already fully laid (and beautiful stuff i might add) and nearing final navigational completion; while Lagos-Ibadan Double track is just barely starting. Dont know right now d state of Calabar monorail construction by d Cross River govt at present.... Bottom-line: gr8t things are in d offing but eternal vigilance needed as usual
Who said that our great party, the PDP is not rapidly transforming Nigeria? By the time we would concede power to opposition party in the next 50 years, Nigeria would ve be a completely developed world! Virtually all rail tracks are been upgraded to standard guage, new modern trains are coming in to run on them, abuja mono rail project is fast approaching commissioning, by 2014,dual engine trains fired by either electricity or diesel will be transporting thousands of passenger around abuja, Kadu tracks are already coming up, a rail line from port harcourt through many states to maiduguri has is undergoing upgrade. The Lagos-Abuja track is commencing operation 2014, it is estimated that the speed of the train will reduce distance from Lagos to Abuja to only 3hours. A lot is going on but Nigerians will have to be patient to see our great party deliver on its promises. PDPPPPPPPPP, power to the people.
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by IleIfe2(m): 10:43am On Nov 24, 2012
thanks for making my day with these pictures, and the people working on it are blacks. Awesome kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by otokx(m): 10:53am On Nov 24, 2012
Abagworo: After 5 years we've still not completed "Lagos" to "UTC" which is merely half a mile. What this means is that it will take another 10 years to reach "waterlines".

Waterlines ke, that one will be like 25 years time, something that has not reached park yet.
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by Nobody: 10:57am On Nov 24, 2012
one day we will hear amaechigate......the rivers people dont need this. if they are to build monorail, why not make it through a more viable and lucrative route such as obigbo to abali park(diobu). what percentage of PH people move from lagos street to park? i heard that the consortium have ran out of cash becos stakeholders are broke.
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by tizblink: 10:58am On Nov 24, 2012
the project would definately be concluded under amaechi's tenure but i'ld never use those trains..don't trust naija contractors
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by geez1: 11:03am On Nov 24, 2012
Cool but I'm wondering why the state government would do a monorail. Only moves in one direction and I'm wondering if the volume of traffic on the road justifies this project or is this just another 'because Lagos did it, I have to do something like it' project
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by Abagworo(m): 11:43am On Nov 24, 2012
geez*:
Cool but I'm wondering why the state government would do a monorail. Only moves in one direction and I'm wondering if the volume of traffic on the road justifies this project or is this just another 'because Lagos did it, I have to do something like it' project

I hate all these comparison talks. Rivers started it before Lagos and it is not popular here because the amount of money being pumped would have done a lot more. He could have upgraded Bori or Omoku or even Obigbo to a city status with all these funds. Rivers State is not congested; only Port Harcourt is.
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by denitro(m): 11:57am On Nov 24, 2012

Train capacity seated - 46 passengers
Train capacity standing - [size=18pt]102 passengers[/size]

My Country is HOPELESS

1 Like

Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by geez1: 12:00pm On Nov 24, 2012
denitro:

My Country is HOPELESS

My point exactly. It's just a 'show off' project and waste of funds. How can you commit that much to move just 46 passengers. Anyway I'm no surprised, the governor flies a $50m jet
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by Nobody: 12:08pm On Nov 24, 2012
Kudos To Amechi for this,
And to those frothing in mouth, this is being done by a private consortium, how do you think a private firm will invest in it if it is not viable.
Secondly, the rail line, should not pass through your house front just because you have traffic, it should be routed based on an overall city plan, incorporating plans for future lines.
Soon I see PH expanding it, and discouraging driving into City centres with handsome, parking charges. Then roads will be free.

I Wish Enugu and Onitsha will get one too, and not the killer trap (light rail) that Lagos is building with second hand coaches. Having seen the so called BRT pound children to death, I wonder what the light rail will do in the unruly city.
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by geez1: 12:10pm On Nov 24, 2012
Abagworo:

I hate all these comparison talks. Rivers started it before Lagos and it is not popular here because the amount of money being pumped would have done a lot more. He could have upgraded Bori or Omoku or even Obigbo to a city status with all these funds. Rivers State is not congested; only Port Harcourt is.

How can you say the Rivers monorail started before the Lagos Light Rail project

The monorail started on the October 13, 2009

http://www.riversmonorail.com/

while the Lagos Light Rail project was conceived by Bola Tinubu long before Rotimi ever became a governor but and started under BRF in April 2008

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagos_Light_Rail

You also can't compare the two because the light rail also includes a road expansion and isn't in one direction, will carry more traffic and is longer in length which I said doesn't make sense to me and a bad copy of what Lagos is doing
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by Nobody: 12:21pm On Nov 24, 2012
geez*:

How can you say the Rivers monorail started before the Lagos Light Rail project

The monorail started on the October 13, 2009

http://www.riversmonorail.com/

while the Lagos Light Rail project was conceived by Bola Tinubu long before Rotimi ever becamse a governor bust and started under BRF in April 2008

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagos_Light_Rail

You also can't compare the two because the light rail also includes a road expansion and isn't in one direction which I said doesn't make sense to me and a bad copy of what Lagos is doing

Sorry my man, why will rivers state copy something sub-standard?
What ever made you compare an Elevated Monorail with light rail that is bound to become a super advanced Molue like the BRT and a death trap.
In River state, the rail is not being built by tax payers money, but by a private consortium TSI holdings . . . Viability is not a question.
Finally, Coaches for Rivers state are new, with sleek slender design that assures you that you will not have to be over packed .
Lagos is buying used coaches with tax payers money, and repainting them, they already look and feel like Molue, the rest is history.

No comparism btw private management and the government inefficiency.
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by geez1: 12:34pm On Nov 24, 2012
KenGali:

Sorry my man, why will rivers state copy something sub-standard?
What ever made you compare an Elevated Monorail with light rail that is bound to become a super advanced Molue like the BRT and a death trap.
In River state, the rail is not being built by tax payers money, but by a private consortium TSI holdings . . . Viability is not a question.
Finally, Coaches for Rivers state are new, with sleek slender design that assures you that you will not have to be over packed .
Lagos is buying used coaches with tax payers money, and repainting them, they already look and feel like Molue, the rest is history.

No comparism btw private management and the government inefficiency.

Call it whatever you like. If you can call those coaches molue, then the London tube will also pass for a molue. How on earth can you even compare the quality of work? How in the future will you upgrade a monorail to a dual line? Okay, I wake up and take a train from my house to point B and then I have to come back by bus. How much sense does that make? What BRF is doing can be upgraded and makes a lot of sense as it is effectively mass transit and can move over 500,000 passengers per day unlike this charade that can barely move 10,000 people per day. It's not even constructed in the city. Do you realize that the blue line alone has a ten lane road being constructed alongside it? Do you realize how many houses had to give way for the light rail? I'm sure the amount paid in compensation can even build this monorail. Do you also know that it's a PPP project so you can't put the entire cost under tax. Even if it was from tax, isn't this what those deductions are supposed to create?

I just see it as a fancy and me too project and not one that effectively addresses the traffic congestion issues of PHC
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by Nobody: 12:54pm On Nov 24, 2012
geez*:

Call it whatever you like. If you can call those coaches molue, then the London tube will also pass for a molue. How on earth can you even compare the quality of work? How in the future will you upgrade a monorail to a dual line? Okay, I wake up and take a train from my house to point B and then I have to come back by bus. How much sense does that make? What BRF is doing can be upgraded and makes a lot of sense as it is effectively mass transit and can move over 500,000 passengers per day unlike this charade that can barely move 10,000 people per day. It's not even constructed in the city. Do you realize that the blue line alone has a ten lane road being constructed alongside it? Do you realize how many houses had to give way for the light rail? I'm sure the amount paid in compensation can even build this monorail. Do you also know that it's a PPP project so you can't put the entire cost under tax. Even if it was from tax, isn't this what those deductions are supposed to create?

I just see it as a fancy and me too project and not one that effectively addresses the traffic congestion issues of PHC

Have you ever used the BRT, if you have you will know better than to talk off moving 500k passengers. A rapid transport system is suppose to make people give up using their cars, and free the road. Thats not happening in Lagos ? Why? Who wants to be squeezed like sardine in the most back age ever just cause you need to get to the office. If you have a well planned transport network, like rivers is working to establish, you do not need dual roads or lines for effective transport. I can tell you on good authority that the so called ten lanes you mention is not meant to ease traffic, but a specific attempt and strategy of Lagos state govt. to shift development to the Badagery corners. If you have lived a bit in Lagos, you will know that the width of the road does not ease traffic. Divide the ten lanes into 5 strategic new monorails in other directions and you get a beautiful network that does something for traffic by limiting the number of cars on the road. All the same a woeful waste of resources. I can only laugh at your talk of compensation, under Fashola in Lagos?
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by geez1: 1:02pm On Nov 24, 2012
Just take a look at the article below. I'm surprised other states in the SE are towing this monorail path (although they've been photoshopping theirs to completion)

A monorail is good for a park, and best works as a tourist line. For instance, a monorail in a Yankari Games reserves makes sense but using it for mass transit beats me. Even in other climes where they exist, there are other effective means of transportation alongside

http://www.lightrailnow.org/features/f_monorail006.htm
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by geez1: 1:08pm On Nov 24, 2012
Just take a look at the article below. I'm surprised other states in the SE are towing this monorail path (although they've been photoshopping theirs to completion)

A monorail is good for a park, and best works as a tourist line. For instance, a monorail in a Yankari Games reserves makes sense but using it for mass transit beats me. Even in other climes where they exist, there are other effective means of transportation alongside

http://www.lightrailnow.org/features/f_monorail006.htm

KenGali:

Have you ever used the BRT, if you have you will know better than to talk off moving 500k passengers. A rapid transport system is suppose to make people give up using their cars, and free the road. Thats not happening in Lagos ? Why? Who wants to be squeezed like sardine in the most back age ever just cause you need to get to the office. If you have a well planned transport network, like rivers is working to establish, you do not need dual roads or lines for effective transport. I can tell you on good authority that the so called ten lanes you mention is not meant to ease traffic, but a specific attempt and strategy of Lagos state govt. to shift development to the Badagery corners. If you have lived a bit in Lagos, you will know that the width of the road does not ease traffic. Divide the ten lanes into 5 strategic new monorails in other directions and you get a beautiful network that does something for traffic by limiting the number of cars on the road. All the same a woeful waste of resources. I can only laugh at your talk of compensation, under Fashola in Lagos?

And have you ever travelled during rush hour in New York or even London? People get to stand. Even your charade of a monorail has provision for standing which is a lot more than the plan it has for seated passengers. It's the norm and expected during rush hours. The challenge the BRT has is that the dedicated lanes don't run on bridges and some highways. However, the LRT will effectively overcome that.

I've lived in Lagos virtually all my life because this is where I am from and widening the road will immediately make provision for more cars but the question is if the roads they empty themselves into are just as wide. And just in case you don't know the distinction, a monorail moves in one direction while what the LASG is doing moves in both directions. Imagine a rail line that moves from Ikeja to the island and doesn't return. Does it make sense to you?
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by mosunade(f): 1:10pm On Nov 24, 2012
some people's comment just smells plain stupidity....
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by mosunade(f): 1:12pm On Nov 24, 2012
denitro:

My Country is HOPELESS

This just shows you havent passed your country before.

1 Like

Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by mosunade(f): 1:13pm On Nov 24, 2012
tizblink: the project would definately be concluded under amaechi's tenure but i'ld never use those trains..don't trust naija contractors

who cares if you dont? will heaven fall if u dont? u must think dey will beg you to use it.
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by Abagworo(m): 1:14pm On Nov 24, 2012
geez*:

I've lived in Lagos virtually all my life because this is where I am from and widening the road will immediately make provision for more cars but the question is if the roads they empty themselves into are just as wide. And just in case you don't know the distinction, a monorail moves in one direction while what the LASG is doing moves in both directions. Imagine a rail line that moves from Ikeja to the island and doesn't return. Does it make sense to you?

I think this one is dual consisting of 2 rail lines.
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by geez1: 1:19pm On Nov 24, 2012
Abagworo:

I think this one is dual consisting of 2 rail lines.

It's not sir. Looking at the 'tracks', you can tell its not. It's a rail line with a walkway, don't know what purpose the walkway serves though but if its dual, then fine and ceases to be a monorail.

I just think it would go back and forth on only one rail line except its planned to move in a loop
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by geez1: 1:27pm On Nov 24, 2012

Okay just took a good look at it again. I think it moves both ways but don't bet on it till it's complete grin
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by Nobody: 1:47pm On Nov 24, 2012
Great!
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by Nobody: 1:53pm On Nov 24, 2012
Ile-Ife:
thanks for making my day with these pictures, and the people working on it are blacks. Awesome kiss kiss kiss kiss

Yep... CNN won't come and show this one. wink
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by Nobody: 2:02pm On Nov 24, 2012
geez*:

My point exactly. It's just a 'show off' project and waste of funds. How can you commit that much to move just 46 passengers. Anyway I'm no surprised, the governor flies a $50m jet

Read the last line:

Peak train capacity 210 pasengers.

If you're going to rubbish the project at least be honest.
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by Nobody: 2:06pm On Nov 24, 2012
mosun_ade:

who cares if you dont? will heaven fall if u dont? u must think dey will beg you to use it.

My brother na wa o. There will be more than enough folks ready to jump on the trains. In fact many of the folks condemning the project here will be the first to jump on the trains once they're complete. In fact I will personally travel to Port Harcourt to use it once its ready. cool
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by taharqa: 2:43pm On Nov 24, 2012
odum desmond: Who said that our great party, the PDP is not rapidly transforming Nigeria? By the time we would concede power to opposition party in the next 50 years, Nigeria would ve be a completely developed world! Virtually all rail tracks are been upgraded to standard guage, new modern trains are coming in to run on them, abuja mono rail project is fast approaching commissioning, by 2014,dual engine trains fired by either electricity or diesel will be transporting thousands of passenger around abuja, Kadu tracks are already coming up, a rail line from port harcourt through many states to maiduguri has is undergoing upgrade. The Lagos-Abuja track is commencing operation 2014, it is estimated that the speed of the train will reduce distance from Lagos to Abuja to only 3hours. A lot is going on but Nigerians will have to be patient to see our great party deliver on its promises. PDPPPPPPPPP, power to the people.
Bros u be PDP memba? I hail o. Only say me i no like PDP, infact i hate their guts; but maybe u wud feel bera sha if you know that this is also how i feel about ACN, CPC and oda larger parties right now..... Every oda thing you said about the rail development going on both on the existing rails and new ones are on point; the FG is on point in this respect. Again guy, i hail...
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by taharqa: 2:58pm On Nov 24, 2012
geez*:

Okay just took a good look at it again. I think it moves both ways but don't bet on it till it's complete grin
So Bros why hv you been running yr mouth since when you did know what the hell you were talking about. Must you ppl 'talk' on every issue; ignorant peeps talking confidently, pisses me off every time ! And you place a 'smilee' at d end of yr comment, were u laughing at yrself there? *smh*.... By d way, none of you noise makers hv done anything with d info that smone gave about the project been ran by a private consortium; if true, what again was all d noise making about?
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by sonety2k(m): 4:42pm On Nov 24, 2012
cool
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by Nobody: 5:45pm On Nov 24, 2012
Re: Rivers Monorail Project Gathers Steam - First Tracks Laid. by chessguru1(m): 6:53pm On Nov 24, 2012
FreeGlobe: lol.. this is the greatest elephant project ever. It will probably be completed in 2050 if the next governor does not abandon it.
Negativity!! Is it in ur DNA? At least he is attempting 2 do something.
Or wld u prefer an odili who would rather used the billions to train militants.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nothing Wrong With Jonathan's 21 Billion Pledge / Abdulrahman Ajiya Wins Abaji LG Chairmanship Poll / President Issoufou's Visit To Buhari Postponed Indefinitely

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.