Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,066 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:41 AM

Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge (13118 Views)

Fashola Blames Jonathan For Lekki-ikoyi Robbery / FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit / Fashola Inspects Ikoyi Bridge Now At 80% Completion. Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by naptu2: 9:57am On Nov 27, 2012
Lekki - Oniru New Market Road - Water Corporation Drive/Oba Yesufu Oniru Road - Ligali Ayorinde - Victoria Island.

Toll free smiley

1 Like

Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by skyfall: 10:00am On Nov 27, 2012
geez*:

Even if it was N1000, the truth is that this is a link bridge, an alternative that wasn't existing in the first place and you're not compelled in any way to ply it.

What would you say about those that ferry cars across the same waters for N1,500?

You can move from Lekki to Ikoyi and vice versa without using the bridge and if motorists wanna force government to reduce the toll, it's simply by just not using the bridge. It's the law of Economics and you can't legislate that

Stop comparing tax-funded infrastructure with private businesses. Tarzan is a private business. You really are what people call you.
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by naptu2: 10:08am On Nov 27, 2012
The project is not tax funded. It's funded via a bond (loan) which the government will have to pay back (remember back in 2009 when people were complaining that Lagos was borrowing too much? Well this was funded by one of such loans).
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by naptu2: 10:12am On Nov 27, 2012
Daily Independent (Lagos)

[size=14pt]Julius Berger Begins Lekki Bridge, Badagry Road Upgrade With N10 Billion[/size]

Michael Simire, 18 May 2009

The sum of N10 billion has been released by the Lagos State Government to bigwig construction outfit, Messrs. Julius Berger Plc, towards the excution of two major infrastructure development projects in the bustling city.

The projects include the expansion of the Eric Moore-Mile 2 Road (which is the initial leg of the multi-billion-naira, multi-phase Lagos-Badagry Expressway rehabilitation scheme) as well as the Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge (connecting Lekki Peninsular Scheme I with Osborne Road in Ikoyi).

Finance Commissioner, Mr. Rotimi Oyekan, who made the disclosure last week at Alausa pointed out that the projects were initiated in furtherance of the government's objectives of expanding and opening new roads for improved economic activities.

He said, "Our bold commitment to the initial funding of these projects is to demonstrate to interested private sector partners the sincerity of the government in the total transformation and rehabilitation of urban infrastructure and welcome their hand in fellowship on reasonable terms and conditions in this and other areas of development and growth."

The commissioner stated that the second tranche of the N275 billion Infrastructure Development Bond (IDB) for 2009 would soon be completed as the bond documentation was being rounded up. The first trance of N50 billion of the IDB, he noted, was over-subscribed, a development he attributed to "the public establishing confidence in our governemnt."

The IDB issuance, which commenced last year, will span three years and is designed to bankroll long term infrastructural projects. The financing vehicle is regarded as an alternative to short term borrowing, tending not to overburden the citizenry with arbitrary levies and tax increases.

Oyekan disclosed that government had established a Sinking Fund of N1.5 billion as Consolidated Debt Services Account (CDSA) into which is deposited monthly a sum of N1.8 billion, which is being managed by the bond trustees.

He described last year's performance on Land Use Charge as encouraging as, according to him, the N500 million target was overshot by 100 per cent. A new N3 billion target has been set, he stressed, saying that there has been an improvement in the collection machinery.

"Enumeration and assessment of properties in catchment areas yet to be covered are ongoing with a view of bringing all areas of our local governments on a common platform of uniform property taxation devoid of inconsistency of complaints," he disclosed.

The commissioner added that, to facilitate the delivery of affrdable housing units to low income earners, government was procuring mortgage facilities while inculcating a new culture of home ownership.

"The plan is to kick-start the mortgage programme by encouraging some civil servants to acquire/own their inhabited staff quarters in the pilot phase. Thereafter, the scope and intensity of the mortgage programme will be widened to embrace willing partners in the implementation of the scheme," he said.

Oyekan went further, "I wish stress with emphasis that the reality of the all-pervading global economic meltdown will not dissuade government from prosecuting this programme as this is identified as one of the means of dousing the harsh effect of soaring and seeming uncormfortable cost of building materials. Presently, high-level discussions are being held with stakeholders particularly the participating banks, with a view to resolving emergent greu areas. Hopefully, the drea will be translated to reality soon."

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1036417
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by Ilaje44(m): 10:13am On Nov 27, 2012
yomi_like:
I wish I can get hold of u and nak big stick on ur idiotic head , mumu, odee, oloshi oloriburuku, weree mtcheeeewwww

This is not neccessary. Not at all!
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by geez1: 10:17am On Nov 27, 2012
skyfall:

Stop comparing tax-funded infrastructure with private businesses. Tarzan is a private business. You really are what people call you.

Sometimes I wonder how people reason. Do you have a clear background on the position of the bridge and its funding structure? Aren't there even tolled roads built by governments in other climes? Like I said and still insist, you don't have to ply the bridge to move from Lekki to Ikoyi. Would this argument have come up if the bridge wasn't erected. It's a matter if choice dunce

Even the Lagos-Badagry Expresway which the government has raised bonds to build will be tolled but guess what, the service lane won't be tolled and is an alternative road even though its expected to be more congested

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by geez1: 10:21am On Nov 27, 2012
yomi_like:
I wish I can get hold of u and nak big stick on ur idiotic head , mumu, odee, oloshi oloriburuku, weree mtcheeeewwww

Iwo gan gan lolori buruku. Omo ale
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by Ilaje44(m): 10:31am On Nov 27, 2012
The people abusing Fashola could have done like this lawyer and sue him. Methink the premise on which the case is built is partly faulty. The poor people that he is showcasing dont even have a vehicle to begin with. Besides, he can not be an advocate for the Federal Govt. The Fed that has authority over the waters has not complained about the illegality of the project. Since this particular project did not start yesterday, why is it occuring to him now that the LASG has no power to build a bridge over the creek. It would be a big joke if he wins all counts he pressing against the LASG.

And for those who think you can not toll a road built with public fund, I say: Yes you can.

The only thing that I'd support is the reduction in the fees and the introduction of monthly, quarterly and yearly Vignette which actually is the international standard. This infrastructure must be maintained and new ones built!
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by dontalk: 10:32am On Nov 27, 2012
The entire system(the Executive ,Legislature and Judiciary) needs to be sanitized, and that can only happen through Revolution either by the Military or by the civilians. If not ,we will continue to talk for nothing.
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by Ilaje44(m): 10:36am On Nov 27, 2012
geez*:

Sometimes I wonder how people reason. Do you have a clear background on the position of the bridge and its funding structure? Aren't there even tolled roads built by governments in other climes? Like I said and still insist, you don't have to ply the bridge to move from Lekki to Ikoyi. Would this argument have come up if the bridge wasn't erected. It's a matter if choice dunce

Even the Lagos-Badagry Expresway which the government has raised bonds to build will be tolled but guess what, the service lane won't be tolled and is an alternative road even though its expected to be more congested

You are right here. However, you should not have called the lawyer a hungry lawyer. He has a grievance and has taken the approiprate measure. That does not make him hungry nor notice me. People should be encouraged to go along the same route if they have grievances with their govt or co-citizens.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by hercules07: 10:37am On Nov 27, 2012
I would rather they built world class facility that will be tolled than the nonsense we are putting up with, let the lawyer test the legality of this contract, it will help the government in the future.
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by Ilaje44(m): 10:39am On Nov 27, 2012
geez*:

Iwo gan gan lolori buruku. Omo ale

Haha, eyin omode wonyi, kilode? E ko le jiyan lai ma s'epe abi ki e bura yin ni? E lo sinmi edo jare.
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by Ilaje44(m): 10:41am On Nov 27, 2012
hercules07: I would rather they built world class facility that will be tolled than the nonsense we are putting up with, let the lawyer test the legality of this contract, it will help the government in the future.

That is very correct!
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by geez1: 10:42am On Nov 27, 2012
Ilaje44:

You are right here. However, you should not have called the lawyer a hungry lawyer. He has a grievance and has taken the approiprate measure. That does not make him hungry nor notice me. People should be encouraged to go along the same route if they have grievances with their govt or co-citizens.

Okay I take that back

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by takedat(m): 10:59am On Nov 27, 2012
I see nothing wrong with tolling the newly built bridge since it is a PPP arrangement but the toll should be reduced and made affordable for the common man. Those condemning this move for reasons that it was funded through tax payers money should as well ask the government to stop collecting fares from people using the BRT and Lag buses since they are both funded through tax payers money. This arrangement is obtainable in developed countries as long as there is an alternative route for those unwilling to pay toll.
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by donlyone(m): 11:42am On Nov 27, 2012
Kobojunkie: Naira 500(per day) in a country where minimum wage is still at about Naira 18,000 per month? Na wa oo!
Lagos State is not even paying the N18,000 minimum wage and they ask for so much from high tolls to school fees.
The government is really anti-poor people, I hope they will not be shooting poor people on sight in the future.
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by naptu2: 11:50am On Nov 27, 2012
Lagos raises 80 billion naira bond for infrastructure.

https://www.nairaland.com/1115273/lagos-raises-80-billion-naira
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by Nobody: 11:56am On Nov 27, 2012
Jerie:

Stray sp.erms like you are one of the reasons I believe condoms should be free and abortion should be legalized.

=))º°˚˚˚°ºнaĦaнaº°˚˚˚°º​=)) , chai, haba!!!, o boy!!, na wahoo... Thats too much na.... Kai!!!!
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by ismokeweed1(f): 12:19pm On Nov 27, 2012
Why should i pay N500 to cross that bridge with a car when i can pay N0.00 to trek across it with my 'legediz benz' ? And im sure i will enjoy the view best.

Ask anyone who has strolled across river niger before . . . Its not much but its really nice
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by teskyg: 12:21pm On Nov 27, 2012
Where is Tunde Bakare and co?Activist my Ass.If it was GEJ they will be busy on the pages of Newspaper.ACN will not live to reap from their greedy adventure next election.A new party will take over Lagos and the likes of Fasola and his cohorts will rot in Jailed after an audit is conducted on Lagos state account.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by clemmonce(m): 12:22pm On Nov 27, 2012
geez*:
Just an attention seeking hungry lawyer
you are a fool things are not going well and he is raising an alarm you say he is hungry
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by Nobody: 1:02pm On Nov 27, 2012
naptu2: The project is not tax funded. It's funded via a bond (loan) which the government will have to pay back (remember back in 2009 when people were complaining that Lagos was borrowing too much? Well this was funded by one of such loans).
This is very bad, they have mortgaged the future of many children without the consent of their parents. Naptu, I know you are widely read, please read up on GMPTE Innovation fund and its eventual outcome. LASG is dictatorial.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Manchester_Transport_Innovation_Fund

The electorate should be given a chance to decide not just some elites in alausa making the decisions. I remember the same electorate that voted them in were gassed and whipped when they protested during the lekki toll gate saga. This is bad and the lawyer may even win this case if he presents it well via a class action law suit.
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by OneDemola: 1:23pm On Nov 27, 2012
naptu2: Truth is, there's no way that that bridge would have been toll free or cheaper than the expressway. I can imagine the chaos that would create. What I advocate for is reasonable toll fare. 500 naira is too much. Since they charge 120/150 on the express, I think they should charge 200 naira on the bridge.

I fully agree with you. However, the price really cannot be seen as "competitive", considering the LCC toll, besides I'd you wanted to take a ferry across ( with a vehicle), I'd pay N1000, double what I'd pay at the toll bridge; no basis for argument there.

Also have to understand that the toll bridge "cannot" be free, unless it will adversely affect LCC's revenues. The honest truth is that LASG do 'not necessarily' need the revenues for the toll, neither is the route expected to be seen as an "alternate" route, rather its an "optional" route.

Hope this explains this
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by OneDemola: 1:26pm On Nov 27, 2012
Besides, if you're earning 18k a month, is it feasible to drive a car to work?
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by 5much(m): 1:33pm On Nov 27, 2012
can d N500 toll b reviewed? nice idea.
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by olivertwist: 2:01pm On Nov 27, 2012
For those making noise about govt charging tolls after using public funds to build bridges, roads etc, if you've been to mega-cities like London, New York, Paris etc, you'll notice that, their govt do charge congestion fees on their busiest roads to de-congest traffic and all that, mostly where there are bridges, tourist areas etc. The money this generate is what they use to maintain the roads, bridges, water etc. And we need to inculcate the same style.

There's hardly any modern bridge in the world that is not tolled. So Lagos is not doing something new. We can only ask that the toll be reduced. Check this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_congestion_charge

These are the list of toll bridges world wide: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_toll_bridges
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by Nobody: 2:25pm On Nov 27, 2012
Lawyers that sue the Federal Government or the State Government only do that for attention.

the point is that they wil continue to sue but they wont win.

they sued Lagos state for imposition of sales tax and Vat contrary to federal directive....Lagos state stil imposes sales tax till date

they sued Lagos State for Imposition of Land Use Charge....Lagos State still Imposes Land Use Charge

They sued Lagos State for imposition of Stamp Duties.......they still impose it

Infact Lagos state must be the only state that taxes its residents heavily.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by sucess001(m): 4:54pm On Nov 27, 2012
when some of us say fashola is elitist...some id.iots will come and be spewing intellectually sunding arguments...how can N500 per passage b fair? how much did the bridge cost? is it likethey wanna make the moni in one yr?

really...if the state govt keeps tollin every infrastructure it builds...then someone needs to account for the income generated by a state which possesses the highest tax and revenue generation capability in the entire country!

no one will understand the level of corruption perpetrated byu fashola and tinubu till another party come into power...then...u ll understand the monumental fraud fashola represents..
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by banki(m): 5:55pm On Nov 27, 2012
sucess001: when some of us say fashola is elitist...some id.iots will come and be spewing intellectually sunding arguments...how can N500 per passage b fair? how much did the bridge cost? is it likethey wanna make the moni in one yr?

really...if the state govt keeps tollin every infrastructure it builds...then someone needs to account for the income generated by a state which possesses the highest tax and revenue generation capability in the entire country!

no one will understand the level of corruption perpetrated byu fashola and tinubu till another party come into power...then...u ll understand the monumental fraud fashola represents..

but lekki ikoyi people are not poor people na
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by joeyfire(m): 6:08pm On Nov 27, 2012
The Lagos State revenue collection drive is frighteningly efficient and ruthlessly thorough. Obasanjo created a monster by wickedly starving Lagos of funds and giving moral authority to then Gov. Tinubu then as Governor to turn Lagos State into a money making machine.

Tinubu almost overnight chose to be a step ahead of the rest of the federation. But I bet don't need to concession public infrastructure to afford execution of capital projects like roads or bridges

naptu2:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1036417
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by dabossman(m): 6:51pm On Nov 27, 2012
take dat: I see nothing wrong with tolling the newly built bridge since it is a PPP arrangement but the toll should be reduced and made affordable for the common man. Those condemning this move for reasons that it was funded through tax payers money should as well ask the government to stop collecting fares from people using the BRT and Lag buses since they are both funded through tax payers money. This arrangement is obtainable in developed countries as long as there is an alternative route for those unwilling to pay toll.

Help me tell them o. Even in the UK there are roads that are tolled, and boys dey jejely take longer routes to avoid paying tolls. It's optional. You don't have to ply that route. Sometimes, I think we Nigerians want everything free. Free education, free health care, free food, free water, free light, even free wife too grin grin. Haba!

But that said, they should try and reduce the toll fee and government needs to be more transparent. As for me, I'd rather pay a reasonable fee for quality service than pay for service I still don't get i.e. NEPA!
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by kobenol(m): 7:07pm On Nov 27, 2012
idupaul: Even though I was against the tolling of the Lekki corridor I don't think tolling that bridge is wrong afterall there was no bridge there before so Mr Lawyer can follow where him de follow before... And pls can't can we stop calling that bridge a suspension bridge cos that bridge and suspended on those fancy strings , its all cosmetic

No it's not fancy, it actually is a suspension bridge - A Cable-Stay Suspension bridge (intimate urself further on wikipedia if u wish)...my humble submission

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ndigbo Won’t Accept Less Important Political Appointments –ohanaeze / Photos From Today's Senate Plenary Session / Judge Provided Legal Cover For Adoke,okonjo-iweala To Divert $1.6b LG Funds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.