Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,012 members, 7,817,985 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge (13117 Views)

Fashola Blames Jonathan For Lekki-ikoyi Robbery / FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit / Fashola Inspects Ikoyi Bridge Now At 80% Completion. Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by naptu2: 6:57am On Nov 27, 2012
biolabee: the bridge is a good idea but i dont think it should be tolled.. tax shd be able to finance sth like this

it is owned by the govt so a concession or Build Operate Trasnfer arrangement should suffice whereby the govt pays a lease fee to the concessionaire for a period of 25 years and it reverts to LASG after that

If it is a private owned bridge then a toll is ok
However 500 is to much for the bridge.. a more reasonable charge will have been 100- 200
Where does the bridge terminate?

The bridge connects Admiralty Way, Lekki Phase 1 with Alexander Avenue, Ikoyi.

Another reason I expected it to be more expensive is that they wouldn't want to cause traffic jams and hardship for residents of Lekki Phase 1 and Alexander/Bourdillon. However, I agree with you, I think 200 naira would be an appropriate toll fare.
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by rasputinn(m): 6:57am On Nov 27, 2012
Too bad of Tinubu and his boy Fashola...
Tax the residents heavily,use the tax proceeds to build roads and bridges,then make them pay heavily to use the same roads and bridges

Fashola is werking indeed

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by rasputinn(m): 7:00am On Nov 27, 2012
Basic:
I hate brainless people like you. The government keeps introducing tyrannical policies, and yet people like you would never stop complaining.
And now, someone took it upon himself to defend you and many others, you're spewing bulls.hit.
Why not wait till the policy is implemented and ply that route (if you have a car) regularly? Then, you'll know how inhumane it is for a government to impose such illegal fees on people.
And if I may guess, one of these apply to you:
- You're a jungle dweller who has lost every hope of ever having a cause to ply the Lekki route; or
- You hope to be among the thieves who'll steal and lavish the N500 to be imposed; or
- You don't understand English (so you don't even get what the lawyer is fighting for); or
- You've just gone prematurely senile. Nonsense!
May God not let people like you find a way to the leadership of this country.

You wonder cheesy cheesy
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by naptu2: 7:01am On Nov 27, 2012
You can follow developments/construction work on the bridge Dec 2011-present on this thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/829205/fashola-inspects-ikoyi-bridge-now
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by elifante: 7:06am On Nov 27, 2012
Used to think BRF was great until I went to some other states. Lagos is the richest state in the country but do very little with her resources. Some poorer states have very good roads without tolls. They do more with the revenue they get and don't go about claiming they are the best.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by Nobody: 7:07am On Nov 27, 2012
kulikuli26: Honestly it beat my imagination hw folks come here praising fashola cos for me lagos state gets so much interms of revenue which doesn't match the devt on ground.the state govt enter concession agreement to build major roads and public utilities are even privatised,yet the state rank high interms of debts,den u ask ursef where is the money goinwe must begin to ask questions its obvious this is not adding up at all.

Don't worry it remains few years and everyones eye go clear
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by Nobody: 7:09am On Nov 27, 2012
This elitist maniac of a governor is at it again. It has become increasingly apparent that Lagos has made no real developmental progress under this ACN government - other than massive revenue generating schemes (mostly to serve the governor's greed and that of his Master Tinubu) and a few vanity projects to boost the ego of 'high class' thieves in Ikoyi/VI/Lekki.

For you to see the real image of Lagos, and to realise that Fashola's so-called achievements are a ludicrous sham, you need to go to the suburbs - areas like Idimu, Okokomaiko, Abule-Egba, Ejigbo, Ikotun, etc. These are the areas where the majority of the population reside and do business. Go to these areas and see how much 'progress' Fashola and his goons have achieved in Lagos. The roads are disastrous, the drainage systems are non-existent, and every other evidence of development is completely absent. This makes you wonder what the government does with the ungodly revenues it generates every month from its outrageous tolls, obnoxious and draconian laws, and other vile IGR schemes.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by Nobody: 7:12am On Nov 27, 2012
Kobojunkie: Naira 500(per day) in a country where minimum wage is still at about Naira 18,000 per month? Na wa oo!

U dey mind them thiefs, assuming someone who earns 18k per month and plys that route everyday, in a month he/she will spending 15k out of the 18k which leaves him with 3k. Aint that nonsense

1 Like

Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by popoyeh(m): 7:13am On Nov 27, 2012
Not saying it is right or wrong, but I think it is an option specifically designed for the 'elites' who transport between Lekki and Ikoyi, specifically Old Ikoyi and I doubt if 500 Naira is too much for these set of people.

Once the bridge opens and the so called elites use that route, it will invariably reduce the traffic on the expressway for other road users. I am not one of the elites, I reside in Lagos Island and I don't have a car, but hopefully someday, I'll be able to pay the toll on the bridge too, without bathing an eyelid.

My Two Pence.
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by kulikuli26: 7:22am On Nov 27, 2012
Shittaakeem: for the love of God stop critisizing fashola do u think it is easy to rule lagos. My God I don't know what is wrong with u people. All the good things fashola have done to lagos which order state governor can do it
if this is ur reasoning,den u don't deserve to be in a forum like dis...grow up dude!
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by Zet72(m): 7:30am On Nov 27, 2012
:-XFashola,fashola,fashola,how many times did I call u,there is lagos before u&surely their will be lagos after u.
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by otokx(m): 7:31am On Nov 27, 2012
If they must charge then it should be 100 for all manner of vehicles except trucks and lorries which should go for 500.
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by luvinhubby(m): 7:32am On Nov 27, 2012
Privatising public infrastructure at ridiculous rates to the detriment of low income earners is obvious criminality.
Class discrimination in usage of public utilities by ACN shud be resisted at all costs.
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by sammhi(m): 7:34am On Nov 27, 2012
Fasola government is the worst to ever rule the state. what really can he point to that he has done to uplift the living standard of the people. instead he enact laws and policies to ensure he impoverish lagosians. He seems to forget that one day he will be out of power and so his so called party ...ACN.
last week, i saw a trailer carrying container fell on a car an killed 3 occupants of the car on the Badagry road due to bad roads and my tots was .... the owner of the truck and the family of the car should sue fasola, LASG and FG for the damages.
Fasloa LASG is lie a man who has a well paid job but refuses to send his kids to good school, charges them rent in the house they live , ration their food and ensure he deprives them of any fun as he always need such money to build properties.but himself has concubines and mistresses apartment well furnished, eat at the best restaurant and hangs out with his friends.
FAsola era has witnessed unparalled exotic hotels by his cronies and politicians all over lagos at the expense of the down trodden. fASOLA IS CERTAINLY
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by naptu2: 7:37am On Nov 27, 2012
In the last few months there has been an increase in commercial establishments on Admiralty Road. I suspect that they are planning to take advantage of the location of the bridge to attract new customers.

However, residents of Lekki Phase 1 and Alexander have been apprehensive. Would this lead to more traffic jams? Increase in crime? (In fact, in the early days there was a rumour that the bridge would pass through Banana Island to Osborne, but it was felt that Banana Island residents would never allow that to happen).

That's why I felt certain that the toll on the bridge would be higher than the toll on the expressway and that commercial buses (probably apart from Phase 1 shuttle) would not be allowed to use the bridge. (I also suspect that VIIRA and Phase 1 Residents Association would have launched a protest if the bridge was toll free).
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by sammhi(m): 7:40am On Nov 27, 2012
Fasola is a hypocrite of the highest order. He assume the figure of a honest man but we all know there are no honest politicians.
His government monthly revenue of 35-40bn per month can not explain the so called infrastructure devoid of any welfare.no doubt , he has shown his evil mind in all of his actions.
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by skyfall: 7:43am On Nov 27, 2012
popoyeh: Not saying it is right or wrong, but I think it is an option specifically designed for the 'elites' who transport between Lekki and Ikoyi, specifically Old Ikoyi and I doubt if 500 Naira is too much for these set of people.

Once the bridge opens and the so called elites use that route, it will invariably reduce the traffic on the expressway for other road users. I am not one of the elites, I reside in Lagos Island and I don't have a car, but hopefully someday, I'll be able to pay the toll on the bridge too, without bathing an eyelid.

My Two Pence.

But the lawyer also lives in Lekki. The issue is really not that of affordability. Rather, if you willingly pay this one, a worse one will be imposed on you next time.

Fashola is really running an elitist govt. He apparently doesn't care about what people think. A minister maybe, but I can't imagine him as Nigeria's president. You'll be buying fuel at N300/liter. He's not compassionate at all.
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by yomilike(m): 7:49am On Nov 27, 2012
geez*:
Just an attention seeking hungry lawyer
I wish I can get hold of u and nak big stick on ur idiotic head , mumu, odee, oloshi oloriburuku, weree mtcheeeewwww
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by iykak47: 8:01am On Nov 27, 2012
A wicked, heartless Fashola to rule Nigeria? God forbid.
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by banki(m): 8:14am On Nov 27, 2012
acidtalk: REVOLUTION! REVOLUTION!! REVOLUTION!!!

That's all Nigeria needs to get better.

Where else on this earth except Nigeria will the government use Tax payers money to do road and still fine the same people for the usage of it not like it was a consetioning deal or private partnership deal..

A country filled with so much riches but yet the people drown in so much poverty.

did you hear yourself?
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by swoosh(m): 8:21am On Nov 27, 2012
geez*:
Just an attention seeking hungry lawyer
How so?

Shut up if you do not have anything meaningful to say
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by PointB: 8:23am On Nov 27, 2012
kulikuli26: Honestly it beat my imagination hw folks come here praising fashola cos for me lagos state gets so much interms of revenue which doesn't match the devt on ground.the state govt enter concession agreement to build major roads and public utilities are even privatised,yet the state rank high interms of debts,den u ask ursef where is the money goinwe must begin to ask questions its obvious this is not adding up at all.

1000 likes.

Lagos state is the biggest fraud yet in Nigeria. Only the unraveling of ACN will expose the rot!
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by striker07(m): 9:21am On Nov 27, 2012
The Saddest part is that many lagosians have a different opinion.
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by geez1: 9:36am On Nov 27, 2012
obailala: When our dracula politicians read comments like yours, all they do is smile and pop some more champagne cos they know the people they rule are idiots.

Tolling isn't much of a problem but I think N500 is way out of order especially considering the Nigerian economy

Even if it was N1000, the truth is that this is a link bridge, an alternative that wasn't existing in the first place and you're not compelled in any way to ply it.

What would you say about those that ferry cars across the same waters for N1,500?

You can move from Lekki to Ikoyi and vice versa without using the bridge and if motorists wanna force government to reduce the toll, it's simply by just not using the bridge. It's the law of Economics and you can't legislate that

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by naptu2: 9:38am On Nov 27, 2012
geez*:

Even if it was N1000, the truth is that this is a link bridge, an alternative that wasn't existing in the first place and you're not compelled in any way to ply it.

What would you say about those that ferry cars across the same waters for N1,000?

Tarzan ferry: Maroko, Admiralty Road, Queens Drive.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by naptu2: 9:42am On Nov 27, 2012
Truth is, there's no way that that bridge would have been toll free or cheaper than the expressway. I can imagine the chaos that would create. What I advocate for is reasonable toll fare. 500 naira is too much. Since they charge 120/150 on the express, I think they should charge 200 naira on the bridge.
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by Nobody: 9:42am On Nov 27, 2012
do we get chicken and chips after paying the 500N. lagos state should stop collecting tax if they want to charge toll fees everytime you use good roads
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by tashan: 9:46am On Nov 27, 2012
So the residents of Lekki,Ikate, Jakande, Osapa, Igbo -efon amd the hundreds of communities lying aong the road cannot leave their homes without paying tolls on the lekki-ikoyi bridge or the admiralty circle toll plaza And you think it's okay and cool to be a prisoner in your own home??
Anyone who knows this lawyer knows he is against exploitation, discrimination and executive excesses of the lagos state government.
Can you compare the roads done within surulere? why are they not concessioned out and tolls paid? Would you know that a good number of middle class workers live on this axis? And they all pay income taxes?

Please let's think wholistically about issues before making applying abuse to the lawyer's actions
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by byteem: 9:51am On Nov 27, 2012
Fashola has started again, ook so u award Julius Berger a contract to build a bridge through Ikoyi Bourdillon through lekki phase 1 .. nice .. we love it .. but now why do we have to pay N500 to use it .. habba so whatever happens to a state's responsibility to provide infrastructure ? why do we pay tax ? or rather why do we even have a govt.., last i heard Lagos budget was put at about N497billion...the state generates revenue of over N50 billion a month..but roads are built with our money and then, u toll us to use same. While the money paid as toll goes to private hands LCC and the likes and yes we also know of Palmyra... ook .. fine .. let us pray .. may Tinubu never die.. may Tinubu, fashola and their cohorts live forever to enjoy the fruits of their abysmal treatment of lagosians... may history judge this nefarious beings that hold us hostage .. Amen
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by geez1: 9:51am On Nov 27, 2012
tashan: So the residents of Lekki,Ikate, Jakande, Osapa, Igbo -efon amd the hundreds of communities lying aong the road cannot leave their homes without paying tolls on the lekki-ikoyi bridge or the admiralty circle toll plaza And you think it's okay and cool to be a prisoner in your own home??
Anyone who knows this lawyer knows he is against exploitation, discrimination and executive excesses of the lagos state government.
Can you compare the roads done within surulere? why are they not concessioned out and tolls paid? Would you know that a good number of middle class workers live on this axis? And they all pay income taxes?

Please let's think wholistically about issues before making applying abuse to the lawyer's actions

How many toll free roads have been built versus the tolled ones. I was against the tolling of the Lekki-Epe Expressway because it's an existing carriage but I'm in full support of the tolling on this bridge.
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by geez1: 9:53am On Nov 27, 2012
byteem: Fashola has started again, ook so u award Julius Berger a contract to build a bridge through Ikoyi Bourdillon through lekki phase 1 .. nice .. we love it .. but now why do we have to pay N500 to use it .. habba so whatever happens to a state's responsibility to provide infrastructure ? why do we pay tax ? or rather why do we even have a govt.., last i heard Lagos budget was put at about N497billion...the state generates revenue of over N100 billion a month..but roads are built with our money and then, u toll us to use same. While the money paid as toll goes to private hands LCC and the likes and yes we also know of Palmyra... ook .. fine .. let us pray .. may Tinubu never die.. may Tinubu, fashola and their cohorts live forever to enjoy the fruits of their abysmal treatment of lagosians... may history judge this nefarious beings that hold us hostage .. Amen

Lagos doesn't generate anything close to half of N100bn monthly

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

PDP Will Pardon Amaechi, Wamakko If They Apologise / Senate Endorses Sack Of 3,000 NIMC Workers / Ndigbo Won’t Accept Less Important Political Appointments –ohanaeze

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.