Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,788 members, 7,827,909 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:02 PM

The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) (52335 Views)

Truck Bursts Into Flames While On Motion In Lagos [PICS] / Trailer Tumbles And Falls At Alapere Lagos (pics) / Driver Urinates On The Roadside, Causes Traffic At Ekoro Road In Lagos (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Nobody: 3:05pm On Nov 27, 2012
afam4eva:
The truth is that if i want to do a documentary on the best cities in the world, i will go to New York, Los Angeles, Miami, Chicago, Houston, Beijing, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Rio, Paris, London, Moscow, Canberra, Jo'Burg, Barcelona, Madrid, Munich, Berlin and tens of other cities before even considering Lagos or any Nigerian city. But if i want to do a documentary on poverty, common sense only suggests that i come to Africa because poverty is a brand here. I'm i lying?

No one is saying Lagos, or any Nigerian/Black-African city is comparable to those cities - however, if you're going to do a documentary, you need to be objective... Make sure you show the good, the bad, and the ugly - and let people decide for themselves...

Let me give you two other links of the kind of Western narrative and pictorial depiction I'm talking about - and please tell me the correlation between the topics and the pictures...

These are the links:

- Nigeria's love of pidgin dey scatter my brain yet ginger my swagger: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/24/nigeria-pidgin-scatter-brain-swagger
- Nigeria's shoppers rival Russia and the Middle East for West End spending: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/10/nigeria-shoppers-rival-russia-middle-east

Is that what the average radio station in Nigeria looks like?

And is that what the average shopping centre in Nigeria looks like?

Please, be honest!
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by OjujuCalabar(m): 3:10pm On Nov 27, 2012
These are nice image making pix. Very nice.
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by surveycash(m): 3:12pm On Nov 27, 2012

I thought I was in Lagos.. grin
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Nobody: 3:14pm On Nov 27, 2012
manny4life:
Brother, I was in NY within the fashion district, OMG, that place is just plain NASTYYYYYYYY.

If you know how inside Lagos Market looks in picture, no difference - water everywhere, dirt, port holes, I mean it's just plan nasty. Believe it, that's the seat of marketplace like Onitsha is - but it was just distasteful to me. This was why I said, I thought road side selling and hawking was illegal in America, till I went to the main NY, NY where the deal happens.

Here in DC, go into the SE area, and you will wish there was nothing that brought you down here

Bwahahahahahahha

I was watching a video of Chief Keef and Lil Reese(Chicago rappers) on youtube with a friend the other day - and I swear you would have thought that was Africa, trust me... The place and almost everyone in the video look like what you'll see in Africa... And there are so many places like that in America - New Orleans and Detroit are 3rd world slums in America, yet you'll never see those places in the news...

There are places in London that look like your typical African market, yet they'll never show you those places... However, when it comes to Africa - the pictorial depiction is always the worst of the worst!

It's a psychological thing and a narrative suitable for the dark continent story, more than anything...
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Nobody: 3:16pm On Nov 27, 2012
shymexx: Damn!! Rossike will always have a come back like: "fug a Cape Town, it's all about Naija, baby." grin

This guy is the Mr. Nigeria of NL - salute! cool

lol grin
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Nobody: 3:19pm On Nov 27, 2012
::Andrew:::
I raised my shoulder in the office when my irish friends asked "is this your country"?

Am happy to see this. More should be done. cool cool cool

I bet they were shocked even if they didn't show it.
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Nobody: 3:24pm On Nov 27, 2012
londoner:
I wonder why the BBC did not see any of this, when they went to do their documentary.
They did not see it because most parts of Lagos don't look like this.

afam4eva:
They did not see it because most parts of Lagos don't look like this.

Do most parts of New York look like Manhattan yet they show you Manhattan everyday.

When last did CNN show you images from Harlem and the Bronx?

1 Like

Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by pawpawguy: 3:26pm On Nov 27, 2012
someone should help me out ooo! where are the places like Mushin, Agege, Ifako-Ijaiye, Egbeda-Idimu etc. Ojoro cancel.
grin
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by IleIfe2(m): 3:26pm On Nov 27, 2012
afam4eva:
The truth is that if i want to do a documentary on the best cities in the world, i will go to New York, Los Angeles, Miami, Chicago, Houston, Beijing, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Rio, Paris, London, Moscow, Canberra, Jo'Burg, Barcelona, Madrid, Munich, Berlin and tens of other cities before even considering Lagos or any Nigerian city. But if i want to do a documentary on poverty, common sense only suggests that i come to Africa because poverty is a brand here. I'm i lying?

How did the conversation get here "best cities in the world". The topic says 'growing beauty of Lagos', Guy, i hail you! Kwenu!! One man wolf pack...born hater. grin grin grin

8 Likes

Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Nobody: 3:27pm On Nov 27, 2012
@Rossike, well done!!! You need to see the huge smile on my face, Fashola is working & Lagosians are working harder!
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Nobody: 3:29pm On Nov 27, 2012
Red-Light:
welldone rossike... bookmarking straight so i can show my german girlfriend that heard a lot of negative stories about lagos

Excellent. That's what it's all about - Getting the word out that Nigeria is moving, and attracting investors and tourists to further boost the economy.
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by bestower: 3:29pm On Nov 27, 2012
The beauty of lagos really marvels me alot to be candid either most of the erected buildings belong to private or public has no meaning, the govt of the state declared initially that its turning it to mega city,its development programme is yielding good fruits for us all to see,lets join hands together to make it more than this,yes we can do it.more grease to the govt and the people of lagos state.
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by olivertwist: 3:30pm On Nov 27, 2012
afam4eva:

Okay let's start with the bolded as they are hosting the next olympics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZW9QlBTIuY

1 Like

Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by manny4life(m): 3:34pm On Nov 27, 2012
Abeg, you people should STOP attacking afam, it's his opinion, though I haven't traveled out excessively, but damn, few of the cities I've been to have their own SLUMS. New York, NY being like the TOP 5 financial districts of the world, is for the most part DIRTY......
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by KINGwax(m): 3:34pm On Nov 27, 2012
Keneking: Most of these pictures are on the Lagos Island...show those from the mainland areas. Anyways what is the intention of displaying the pictures? They have been there before AC-N took over power! In addition, there are no single government /public property in the images posted...all are private investments.

Now try and get a shot of picture from the pent house at Eko Hotel at night and you will marvel at the handiwork of God and the fooolishmness of man... ;
^^^
i've never read me a more stupid comment as this? Go get a life

4 Likes

Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by vislabraye(m): 3:35pm On Nov 27, 2012
Island will always be ahead of mainland. I know some people in mainland who beef Islanders.
Glad to be where I live. Apart from Ikeja, I don't think there's any other place in Lag I would want to live.
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by omenziate(m): 3:37pm On Nov 27, 2012
U go fear wetin CapeTown pixs dey cause, @rossike , swear se u no enhance some of dose pix urself. E come b like say sa anoda country inside country b dis ur pix o. Nice one.
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by KINGwax(m): 3:38pm On Nov 27, 2012
shymexx:

No one is saying Lagos, or any Nigerian/Black-African city is comparable to those cities - however, if you're going to do a documentary, you need to be objective... Make sure you show the good, the bad, and the ugly - and let people decide for themselves...

Let me give you two other links of the kind of Western narrative and pictorial depiction I'm talking about - and please tell me the correlation between the topics and the pictures...

These are the links:

- Nigeria's love of pidgin dey scatter my brain yet ginger my swagger: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/24/nigeria-pidgin-scatter-brain-swagger
- Nigeria's shoppers rival Russia and the Middle East for West End spending: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/10/nigeria-shoppers-rival-russia-middle-east

Is that what the average radio station in Nigeria looks like?

And is that what the average shopping centre in Nigeria looks like?

Please, be honest!
don't waste your time talkin sense to these people. Check 'em out, most of their biased comments reek of tribalism. I don't expect them to own up! But let's post a pix of tinapa and you'll be suprised they'll be talkin from the second side of their fuckin mouth!
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by olivertwist: 3:42pm On Nov 27, 2012
manny4life: Abeg, you people should STOP attacking afam, it's his opinion, though I haven't traveled out excessively, but damn, few of the cities I've been to have their own SLUMS. New York, NY being like the TOP 5 financial districts of the world, is for the most part DIRTY......

It's called re-orientation not attack

Jo'burg Ghetto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iOQ9AFc8q0
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Nobody: 3:42pm On Nov 27, 2012
omenziate: U go fear wetin CapeTown pixs dey cause, @rossike , swear se u no enhance some of dose pix urself. E come b like say sa anoda country inside country b dis ur pix o. Nice one.

Hahaha... Picture no dey lie my brotha. Na straight up Lag be dat. grin grin cool
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by gregg2: 3:49pm On Nov 27, 2012
bestower: The beauty of lagos really marvels me alot to be candid either most of the erected buildings belong to private or public has no meaning, the govt of the state declared initially that its turning it to mega city,its development programme is yielding good fruits for us all to see,lets join hands together to make it more than this,yes we can do it.more grease to the govt and the people of lagos state.

Not much has been added to what Federal govt did for Lagos Island. 85% of the roads shown here are
federal roads - built and maintained by Federal govt apart from
the sweeping aspect. Besides, 98% of the pictures shown here are those of the Island – an area
already developed long ago by the Federal govt and private sector.

So, please show us pictures of the Mainland – an area majorly under the jurisdiction of the Lagos
State govt. Show us pictures of Ikeja, Agege, Amuwo Odofin, Iyana Ipaja, Surulere, Okoko, Mile 2,
Ketu, Alakuko, Abulegba, Bariga etc
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by nduchucks: 3:50pm On Nov 27, 2012
Nigeria o ni baje lai lai.

1 Like

Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Tunjman(m): 3:53pm On Nov 27, 2012
Oshodi Heritage Gardens

Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Orikinla(m): 3:54pm On Nov 27, 2012
You have not seen anything yet.
Just wait and see the awesome city spectacles springing up in Lagos in the coming years.
Including my own.
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by dljbd1(m): 3:55pm On Nov 27, 2012
Bro! Hw many yrs u take gather all these undecidedBro! Hw many yrs u take gather all these
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Nobody: 4:02pm On Nov 27, 2012
gregg2: 85% of the roads shown here are federal roads - built and maintained by Federal govt apart from
the sweeping aspect. Besides, 98% of the pictures shown here are those of the Island – an area
already developed long ago by the Federal govt and private sector.

So, please show us pictures of the Mainland – an area majorly under the jurisdiction of the Lagos
State govt. Show us pictures of Ikeja, Agege, Amuwo Odofin, Iyana Ipaja, Surulere, Okoko, Mile 2,
Ketu, Alakuko, Abulegba, Bariga etc

Mr Negative bobo, the 1st pix shows Ikeja environ,besides Maryland isn't looking bad too.
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Nobody: 4:05pm On Nov 27, 2012
Ile-Ife:

How did the conversation get here "best cities in the world". The topic says 'growing beauty of Lagos', Guy, i hail you! Kwenu!! One man wolf pack...born hater. grin grin grin

Brother me sef tire.
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by stupor(m): 4:08pm On Nov 27, 2012
Haters 'Gon' hating Again !

Why must every good thing be negatively criticized ?

Must you always lay irrevalant comments ?

Can't yòu ôpen a dictionary,if you can't simply understand what grówing is.

And I am very sure a lót already had degrees,but can't understand the word growing and developments.

OP thanks for the documentary Pictures.

SOme peóple's living roòms are as dirty as a refuse dump,yet they keep laying criticisms.

Are you not the ones messing up those areas they are yet to take pictures of.

Can you even take a day Out to take pictures as these ?

Nice one OP !

Lagos is still the best haven on earth !

EkO ele baaje ra ra !

3 Likes

Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by linearity: 4:09pm On Nov 27, 2012
Beautiful pictures, keep them coming.

To some, saying these are pictures of selected good areas...yes we know them; most people around the world when displaying the glory of their countries sees the cup half-full. I have seen many pictures of New York on the internet, very few of them shows the beggers, homeless vets on the streets, they are many run-down neighbors with falling buildings and cardboard-up houses in New York, we do not see those on the internet.

There are many neighborhoods so dangerous that, Police themselves are afraid of going into those neighborhoods, except they go in grounds and for very short-time. We do not see those pictures on the internet.

Regarding comments of these pictures not been public places....again, Government acts as a catalyst for development and growth. Apart from maybe public library, some parks...there are really no government buildings in NYC. Empire State Building, despite the name is owned and managed by private owners....many parks are co-owned by government and private initiatives.
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by gunuvi(m): 4:12pm On Nov 27, 2012
@OP, ACN propaganda at play here.
All the pitures only showed a fraction of Lagos that is owned by the rich. God will forgive you for misleading us. We in Badagry know we have been neglected since 1993 and time will tell. Fool
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Tunjman(m): 4:13pm On Nov 27, 2012
Ogunlana Drive and Adelabu Street, Surulere.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Air Peace Acquires Boeing B777-200 Aircraft; Sets New Record / GEJ Trekker, OladeleNihi Involved In Accident (Photos) / Ibadan To Lagos Train Stuck In The Forest As Fuel Finishes (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.