Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,925 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:05 PM

Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? (18662 Views)

Catholic Church Cautions El-Rufai Over Religious Bill / Catholic Church Collapses In Enugu, Five Dead / Questions For Christians: Is the Catholic Church The First Church? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by truthislight: 5:07am On Dec 13, 2012
Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by truthislight: 5:11am On Dec 13, 2012
truthislight:

I dont really know what your argument is.

I dont based my arguments on adulterated history but on an history that has been preserved for us.

This is the James that wrote the bible:

"After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles." (1 Corinthians 15:7).

And this:

"Then returned they unto Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is from Jerusalem a sabbath day’s journey. And when they were come in, they went up into an upper room, where abode both Peter, and James, and John, and Andrew, Philip, and Thomas, Bartholomew, and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon Zelotes, and Judas the brother of James. These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren." (Acts 1:12-14).

^^^

this were preserved for us to know and have faith.

Better still any were you turn it is well attested to, who the writer can be.

"Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ, and called:" (Jude 1:1).

"But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord’s brother." (Galatians 1:19).

"And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision." (Galatians 2:9).

Definitely not your James :

i dont know who is your James the just.

The credentials of the writer of the bible book of James is very obvious and is not your "James the Just"

read this it will help you know :

"Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ, and called:" (Jude 1:1).

"After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles." (1 Corinthians 15:7).

What else do you need?

Jesus did not use any and any persons to write the bible.

Can you present the credential of the writers of the apocriphals let us examined and see how christ appeared to them and who they are that their books should be taken as authority for christians?

James the brother of Jesus was also regarded as an apostle.

"Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days. But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord’s brother." (Galatians 1:18-19).
Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by Nobody: 6:11am On Dec 13, 2012
truthislight:

James the brother of Jesus was also regarded as an apostle.

"Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days. But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord’s brother." (Galatians 1:18-19).

You are the one who started belittleing some early christian writers by saying Mark and luke were not apostles because there were not part of the twelve.

Even st Paul calls himself an apostle severally but he was not really among the twelve apostles.The fact remains that James the just,Paul,Mark,Barnabas,apollos and Luke should be ranked together
Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by donmatin(m): 2:07pm On Dec 13, 2012
The bible says if day do not speak according to the law and the prophet its cus ders no truth in dem,also it says if u lovve me keep my commandments and 1 may be tempted to say what commandments,certainly it has to be the 10commandments.b4 u get to zealous and say the commandment is dat,james said d same 1 dat told u not to steal commanded thee also not to kill.if u keep all and leave 1 u are guilty of all,so if day do not keep the seventhday holy,the sabbath of the most high God,its cus ders no truth in dem.so the catholic dusnt represent the Church of God
Teenage Money: I rather join muslim than go to anyother church....

All tackling Catholic from every angle...

Well, that was hw Christ was tackled in his days....

@op, Which Church was in Existence b4 Catholic

If there is any, then that is the church... But if there isnt, u can now answer youur question urrself
Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by Ubenedictus(m): 10:28am On Dec 14, 2012
donmatin: The bible says if day do not speak according to the law and the prophet its cus ders no truth in dem,also it says if u lovve me keep my commandments and 1 may be tempted to say what commandments,certainly it has to be the 10commandments.b4 u get to zealous and say the commandment is dat,james said d same 1 dat told u not to steal commanded thee also not to kill.if u keep all and leave 1 u are guilty of all,so if day do not keep the seventhday holy,the sabbath of the most high God,its cus ders no truth in dem.so the catholic dusnt represent the Church of God
if ya want to keep d sabbat go and become a jew! And if that is ur criteria then wow! It seem st paul may have a word for u col 2:16-17, well according to d bible, it seems i shuldnt allow u condemn me becos of ur shabbat!! Hmm jew!
Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by Nobody: 7:22am On Dec 15, 2012
Ubenedictus: Seriallink it seems on this i will have to heap the blame one you! I'm not suprised that every catholic who came on the thread believes you delibrately, purposely and maliciously misrepresented them and that the thread is trying to insult catholics! The whole problem YOU caused when you claimed "catholics believe non catholic are hell bond" this is more or less insultive, even if it may be a mistake it protray a balant misrepresentation of catholic teaching and most certainly will be regarded as a sentence meant to bash catholics. While i do not wish to dwell on the said sentence since i also consider it a misrepresentation, i think u have recieved enough hitting for that sentence so i'll address the other points.

There are only two sides to this, it's either True or False, Heaven or Hell; so, when you say your Church is the 'ONLY TRUE CHURCH' it means other denominations are 'FALSE CHURCHES' and will not make Heaven since Christ is coming for His Church only!

John 14:3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

Believe it or not, my claims are valid. Catholics have said that to me several times; that if I'm not a Catholic, I'm hell bound because God doesn't know any denomination apart from theirs!!!

To the question of the thread, the answer is yes! Catholics consider d church as the one true church built by christ on the apostles and that peter in particular was given the "keys of the kingdom" and that thru the apostles the church has recieved the power to "bind and lose", "proclaim the gospel" and the power to forgive sins in christ names and that the leaders of the church do have a right, a duty or rather a responsible to excercise all the above ministries as d apostles did in their day.

Really? The 'only true church'!! Don't say I misinterprete your position here, but since there is 'Only one true church' which is the 'Holy Roman Catholic Church' then logically other denominations and christians are doomed, no?

Yeah! The church teaches that she is the body of christ and she is one in doctrine, holy becos christ her head is holy and by his grace continue to make us holy and granting us his righteous, catholic because her mission is universal and apostolic cos the apostles are her foundation.

I don't quite get you here, are you referring to the Holy Roman Catholic Church as the body of Christ or all Christians regardless of denomination?

We believe that God used peter as a symbol of unity in da church thus given him the key of d kingdom (biblically d key of d kingdom belong to the prime minister) and thus make him a fore...minister of da gospel and that that office has alway remained in the church. And yeah we believe that all salvation comes from christ and that christ has given d church -his body- as a permanent and effective path of salvation.

What is your definition of Christ's Church here? I thought 'CHRIST's CHURCH' is the entire body of Christians throughout the world, regardless of denomination?

So yes i'll say d bible quotation was refering to the catholic church. Big claims they seem! And yeah that i believe. As regard the part on non catholic, I believe that ALL men who believe in christ Jesus and are justified by faith thru baptism are incorporated into christ's body, they therefore have a right to be called christians and with good reason are accepted as brothers in the lord. I believe the holyspirit can and does work on all men even non catholic. So yeah i believe protestants are part of dat body of christ and are in communion with the catholic church even though the said communion is imperfect.

You erred brah!! Because Jesus was referring to His body (The Church) regardless of denomination as explained by some of your catholic brother/sisters and other knowledgeable Christians!

So even though i clearly hold that you and other protestants have rejected, throw away, modified parts of the truth of God i do not claim u are hell bound unless u knowingly and delibrately rejected the truth. That is 4 u and ur conscience! I believe i aswered ya question.

What truths are you talking about exactly? Are all 'truths' about Christianity not supposed to be written in the word of God (The scriptures)?? Anything that is not found therein shouldn't be practised. Some Catholic doctrines are not found in the scriptures, why is that? Since the Catholic Church supposedly compiled the 'Bible' and know all 'truths' from 'lies', they should have added some of their traditions and doctrines to it, since their infallible popes and church leaders were all inspired by the holy spirit, no?

Remember what the bible says about adding to the word of God, right? So, my guess is, the early Christians who compiled the Bible knew the implications of adding to the word of God which was why they never added anything that wasn't inspired by the holy spirit to the scriptures. That alone should tell you that anything not found in the scriptures are doctrines of men! I'll quote from the OT to show you that early Christians studied the scriptures and knew the implications of adding to the word of God!:

Proverb 30:6 Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.

Deuteronomy 4:2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

1 Like

Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by donmatin(m): 9:09am On Dec 19, 2012
U choose 2 believe every oda part of d bible buh err in the sabbath,if I may ask u,was Jesus a jew?whatever ur answer says den u belive dat he worship in the church on the sabbath day.u believe in good friday and easter sunday,what happened dat Mary and odas chose not to anniot his body dat day?cus d sabbath was near,shows u dat d sabbath is 4 all wu call demselves sons and dautas of God,1john has a gud advice 4 u,if u say u love me and u keep not my commandments,u are a liar and the truth is not in u.quote author=Ubenedictus] if ya want to keep d sabbat go and become a jew! And if that is ur criteria then wow! It seem st paul may have a word for u col 2:16-17, well according to d bible, it seems i shuldnt allow u condemn me becos of ur shabbat!! Hmm jew![/quote]
Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by woky: 8:38pm On Dec 19, 2012
seriallink: @Italo, don't you change the topic of my thread! I hate replying your messages, you are derailing this thread with your usual attitude of 'ranting and fighting over nothing'!

Mr. Italo, you said I twisted holyvirgin's name first? Oh, so, you didn't see the part that he twisted mine to serialkiller huh? I think that would make him holydemon cheesy

Do I have to provide proofs to you? I'm sorry, I don't have time for that; retrace all your posts on Nairaland, I'm sure you are guilty of what I wrote up there that's why you are ranting all over the place. Why can't you contribute meaningfully to this thread and stop saying no Catholic has ever condemned other Christians on Nairaland? Are you the only Catholic I have ever engaged in a debate on NL?

This thread wasn't created for the purpose of the argument you are trying to bring up! I created it to understand why most Catholic I engage in debates resort to the passage I quoted above as proof that theirs is the only true Church!

Lets hear your views on that; however, if you do not have anything to contribute, I'll advise you stop trolling. Chikena
cikena not chikena..
Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by heroofnigeria: 1:08pm On Dec 20, 2012
[size=48pt]SEND CATHOLIC TO 35070[/size]

Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by Ubenedictus(m): 3:17am On Jan 14, 2013
donmatin: U choose 2 believe every oda part of d bible buh err in the sabbath,if I may ask u,was Jesus a jew?whatever ur answer says den u belive dat he worship in the church on the sabbath day.u believe in good friday and easter sunday,what happened dat Mary and odas chose not to anniot his body dat day?cus d sabbath was near,shows u dat d sabbath is 4 all wu call demselves sons and dautas of God,1john has a gud advice 4 u,if u say u love me and u keep not my commandments,u are a liar and the truth is not in u.quote author=Ubenedictus] if ya want to keep d sabbat go and become a jew! And if that is ur criteria then wow! It seem st paul may have a word for u col 2:16-17, well according to d bible, it seems i shuldnt allow u condemn me becos of ur shabbat!! Hmm jew!
the old covenant has been abolish dear dat is y i ask u to read col 2:16 and 17, wat does it say?
Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by Rich4god(m): 2:37pm On Jan 14, 2013
Ubenedictus:
Ube my brother.. Where have you been. Its been a long time, hope all is well.
Realy missed your posts. Happy new year.
Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by prairie(f): 6:14pm On Jan 14, 2013
seriallink: Which of the Churches was Christ referring to in the passage below:

Matthew 16:17-19 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

I have observed that most Catholics believe that Jesus was actually referring to them in the passages I quoted above.

I want to know your views on this because most Catholics believe they are the one true Church and other Churches are hell bound. I'm not a Church goer and personally do not believe that going to Church is necessary or compulsory for salvation, but I'd still like to know your views on this!

Thank you.
other churches ar nt hell bound, nd yes he ws referin to d catholic church
Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by Ubenedictus(m): 7:24pm On Jan 14, 2013
Rich4god:
Ube my brother.. Where have you been. Its been a long time, hope all is well.
Realy missed your posts. Happy new year.
same to u, thanks 4 ur concern! i took d holiday to b with family. Hw was ur xmax celebration?
Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by Ubenedictus(m): 7:26pm On Jan 14, 2013
prairie: other churches ar nt hell bound, nd yes he ws referin to d catholic church
sweet!
Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jan 24, 2013
prairie: other churches ar nt hell bound, nd yes he ws referin to d catholic church

There is a deference between the catholic church and the Roman catholic church.

CATHOLIC - Universal

ROMAN CATHOLIC - Roman Universal
Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by Ubenedictus(m): 10:47am On Jan 25, 2013
belabela:

CATHOLIC - Universal

hahaha, really funny.
Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by jaymichael(m): 3:53am On Apr 02, 2013
i.chuka:
@op, Which Church was in Existence b4 Catholic

If there is any, then that is the church... But if there isnt, u can now answer youur question urrself[/

To the angel of the Church in Ephesus..Rev2:1.
And to the angel of the Church in Smyrna..Rev2:8.
And to the angel of the Church in Pergamum Rev2:13.
And to the angel of the Church in Thyatira..Rev2:18.
And all the Churches shall know that i am He who searches mind and heart..Rev2:23.
And to the angel of the in Sardis..Rev3:1.
And to the angel of the Church in Philadelpha.Rev3:7.
And to the angel of the Church Laodice Rev3:14.
The seven churches in Asia, i dont see the Roman catholic "church" mentioned here. The one and only true church is the body of believers who are genuinely born again in Christ and do the will of the FATHER in heaven, the church is never a building or any physical structure. The word of GOD should be our guide and a lamp unto our feet and not any man made traditions and doctrine formulated by any organisation that run contrary to the word of GOD.
Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by italo: 10:56am On Apr 05, 2013
belabela:

CATHOLIC - Universal

Assuming they are not the same thing, which of those two do did Christ found?
Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by italo: 11:04am On Apr 05, 2013
jaymichael: The seven churches in Asia, i dont see the Roman catholic "church" mentioned here. The one and only true church is the body of believers who are genuinely born again in Christ and do the will of the FATHER in heaven,

Are you saying the 7 churches were all different churches or they were all part of the only true church?

jaymichael: the church is never a building or any physical structure.

Then why did St Paul say that the Church is the HOUSEHOLD of God?

jaymichael: The word of GOD should be our guide and a lamp unto our feet and not any man made traditions and doctrine formulated by any organisation that run contrary to the word of GOD.

Then why do you read the Bible. Did God tell any man to compile or create anything called Bible? Did God ever mention the word "Bible?"
Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Apr 05, 2013
@italo

the churches were one but in different geographical locations.

God ministered to the apostles to write the NT just as He did to the prophet concerning the OT. I Believe He did that so as to provide us with a guide. Its just fortunate,if at all, that the RCC compiled NT and added it to the OT
Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by Omenuko(m): 8:48pm On Apr 05, 2013
Segeggs: @italo

God ministered to the apostles to write the NT just as He did to the prophet concerning the OT. I Believe He did that so as to provide us with a guide. Its just fortunate,if at all, that the RCC compiled NT and added it to the OT

Point of correction: The Catholic Church, under the leadership of the pope and with the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, compiled the Bible. This was done infallibly (i.e., without error).
Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by italo: 6:52am On Apr 06, 2013
Segeggs: @italo

Why do you say the churches were one? Do you mean they had one faith and one doctrine?

Segeggs: God ministered to the apostles to write the NT just as He did to the prophet concerning the OT. I Believe He did that so as to provide us with a guide. Its just fortunate,if at all, that the RCC compiled NT and added it to the OT

What do you mean here? The Catholic Church compiled the NT or they didnt? If they didnt, who did?
Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by nada122: 1:16pm On May 06, 2013
I thought one of the sign of the True Church is miracles.

There are also Numerous Resurrection Miracles in the Catholic Church:

1) (Virgin Mary of Czestochowa) http://www.scribd.com/doc/113877578/Resurrection-Miracles-of-Our-Lady-of-Czestochowa-Jesus-Virgin-Mary-Easter-Miracle-Raise-Dead-Mother-of-God-Theotokos-Icon-Christian-Catholic-Orthodo
2) (St. Vincent Ferrer) http://www.miraclesofthesaints.com/2010/10/saints-who-raised-dead-people-brought.html
3) (Venerable Mariana de Jesus Torres of Quito, Ecuador) http://ourladyofgoodsuccess..com/p/our-lady-of-good-success-venerable.html
4) (St. Patrick of Ireland) http://www.jeevanjal.org/jeevanjal/rm5.html
5) (St. Francis Xavier) http://www.jeevanjal.org/jeevanjal/rm8.html
6) (St. Francis of Paola) http://www.jeevanjal.org/jeevanjal/rm7.html
7) (St. Anthony of Padua) http://www.jeevanjal.org/jeevanjal/rm10.html

and many more...

This is worth thinking. God is pleased with the veneration given to Mary and the saints that's why he raised the dead through their intercession.

God bless us all.
Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by Africlegend: 5:57pm On Jun 16, 2013
I dnt c reason(s) for controversy on which Church is true! Wot Catholics bliv 2 b tru is in opposition 2 Protestant's '2 tns cn nt b tru at dsame tym' Compare d truth of Apostolic origin 2 mordern day human reason nd b conclusive.PEACE
Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by okpurukata(f): 9:29pm On Jun 16, 2013
heroofnigeria: [size=48pt]SEND CATHOLIC TO 35070[/size]

Thanks for this link. I just subscribed.
Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by meshacha1: 4:39pm On Dec 14, 2014
Ofcos yes I will pray for you for am still living but when you ask someone who is dead and not omnipotent and omnipresent to pray for you, does it Liston

italo:

When I say "meshacha1, pray for me", does it mean I'm not praying through Jesus?
Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by italo: 8:00am On Dec 17, 2014
meshacha1:
Ofcos yes I will pray for you for am still living but when you ask someone who is dead and not omnipotent and omnipresent to pray for you, does it Liston

I thought Jesus said 'believers will never die.'

That's not in your Bible?
Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by marykaydee: 8:07am On Feb 19, 2016
woky:
cikena not chikena..

Actually its shikenan! grin
Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by woky: 9:40pm On Feb 20, 2016
marykaydee:

Actually its shikenan! grin
thanks.. I tot I was correct. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by marykaydee: 9:49pm On Feb 22, 2016
woky:
thanks.. I tot I was correct. cheesy

You are welcome

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Not Every Sin Leads To Hell / Rev. Fr. Ejike Mbaka Criticizes Catholic Priests On Extorting Parishioners / CAN On Fuel Scarcity: This Looks Like An Attempt To Sabotage X-mas Celebrations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.