Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,660 members, 7,813,225 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:54 AM

The Truth About Living Abroad - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Truth About Living Abroad (67191 Views)

10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad / 15 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad / 10 Things About Living Abroad: No Turning Back (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by ChopUrMoni: 2:34pm On Dec 15, 2012
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Godogwu: 2:36pm On Dec 15, 2012
prince_onx:
So for someone living in Canada that probably spend a month or two in a year or two years to own/build a house even in the village and still own or even rent one in Canada is nothing to you? You guys need your head check seriously and that's why the crime and stealing rate in that naija will always be on the high side. Nothing de satisfy people with your mentality for real.

I never said it was a bad thing. Its actually commendable because just a few can even achieve that. I was just saying that in reference to some Nitwit who was saying utter rubbish.
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by manny4life(m): 2:44pm On Dec 15, 2012
Godogwu:

what percentage of the US population can live in the Hamptons, Beverly hills etc.... PLEASEE!!!

Compare that % to the number of Nigerian population that can afford to travel to Lekki, VI, and wealthy areas,. I did not say live but to commute to that area? After comparison, let's see who has a higher #.

Dude please, save your random talk,not helping your cause
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Impulse80(m): 2:47pm On Dec 15, 2012
You can make it even in Gaza grin Pakistan, grin grin Yemen grin grin Somali grin grin or even Sudan grin grin grin Just go Abroad grin grin grin
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by princeonx: 2:53pm On Dec 15, 2012
Biafra rep: What a very daft analysis, have you been to a place called banana island in Lagos and seen how the Dangotes, Adenuga's et al live? How many average Canadians can afford to live in Banana island or Maitama? You have a very low self esteem and most certainly would be scavenging for crumbs on the streets of Ottawa!
Guy don't fool yourself with any mango island or maita-Nnama gist! How many people generally both in US, UK, the moon, and Nigeria can afford it? Is it only Nigerians abroad that your purchase challenge go to? And listen to yourself and those you named living there, how many teachers, police (not top officers), firemen, or nurses/Dr live there? Those everyday folks that teach your kids, and treat them? None! Why? Because only the mighty rich can afford it. I have read and seen topics on property section where a plot of land without a building goes for up to N200m in those places you mentioned and you are here celebrating and praising Dangote and co for living there while high percentage of Nigerians live on less than $2 a day. You're right! Most of us in US, UK, or Canada can't afford those places but we can afford a $200-$300 thousand houses (not just plot) that gives access to everything for us and our kids! Such as schools, hospital, library, water, roads, electricity, and so on and that to me is being healthy and wealthy!

4 Likes

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Nobody: 2:54pm On Dec 15, 2012
ChopUrMoni:

Good job... You passed. UK didn't even make it on the list and US is falling to number 13.

1. Norway
2. Australia
3. Iceland
4. Canada
5. Ireland
6. Netherlands
7. Sweden
8. France
9. Switzerland
10. Japan
11. Luxembourg
12. Finland
13. United States
14. Austria
15. Spain
16. Denmark
17. Belgium
18. Italy
19. Liechtenstein
20. New Zealand

You have to post these things in context

What is their record in welcoming immigrants,black immigrants,are there anti discrimination laws protecting them from harassment and unfairness
How many black people do you see in their workplaces and schools as teachers or nurses and doctors and municipal buildings
How many minorities and blacks are in the legislature?
These things make it live able
This is where the US,UK and Canada lead the pack

I live in the USA,I won't even move into a neighborhood or register my kids in schools where we would be the only black people let alone move to a country where there are no professional black people allowed to compete.
.i can assure you a black immigrant is more likely to make it in the USA than in Norway despite the numbering

2 Likes

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Godogwu: 3:10pm On Dec 15, 2012
manny4life:

Compare that % to the number of Nigerian population that can afford to travel to Lekki, VI, and wealthy areas,. I did not say live but to commute to that area? After comparison, let's see who has a higher #.

Dude please, save your random talk,not helping your cause

also compare that to those that can commute to the hamptons, beverly hills etc..

frankly I don't want to compare both nations...the US is obviously more developed, its a "first wsorld" country no? I'm just saying, Nigeria isn't a hell hole, people make it and make it big here and Nigeira is growing by the day whether you agree or not. Thesame goes for the US... don't just paint it like people don't struggle there.
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by princeonx: 3:12pm On Dec 15, 2012
ChopUrMoni:

OMG shocked What a loser!!! I find this statement very belittling of oneself and SHAMEFUL. Instead of you to try and work out a way of fixing your country, you are kissing white a*ses. How desperate can you get And people actually like this post... shocked SHAME! FYI... I am an Australian who have visited and worked in a few countries including the US. Stop deceiving yourself and wake up mate!!! As for me I cant wait to go back and do something for my country. Contribute what i have. If everyone thinks like this... HOW WOULD NIGERIA EVER IMPROVE I was born and grew up o/s and been to 9ja once in the 90"s. I DREAM of a future where my kids would be able to live in Nigeria peacefully and have all the benefits 1st world country have to offer. If we all sit back and enjoy our comfort how is it going to happen INSTEAD OF RUNNING FROM THE SITUATION, CHANGE IT.
Everybody will not go back to Nigeria even if Nigeria becomes twice better than the US next year! People will always run their mouth about Nigerians coming back and their are also a lot of Nigerians running their mouth about going back but the truth is "that won't happen anytime soon or collectively" maybe not in our own time. If anyone wakes up and think its time to go back for them, have fun! For others it's not. 90% of people making noise here can not accommodate anyone from abroad for a month in their house just on visit yet they expect you to accommodate them for years in the US simply because you got here before them! 99.9% of them including Nigerian government can not provide you with a job, good school, hospital, electric, etc yet some are singing come back home! And guess what even when you do, they'll still complain you got a job over them because you came back from US!
And by the way, change the situation with what? Money?, your education? Abi your power in naija? Have you heard of people being killed and no question asked? We should be realistic when we say some things seriously not just sit behind a monitor and type sh!t.
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by manny4life(m): 3:19pm On Dec 15, 2012
Godogwu:

also compare that to those that can commute to the hamptons, beverly hills etc..

frankly I don't want to compare both nations...the US is obviously more developed, its a "first wsorld" country no? I'm just saying, Nigeria isn't a hell hole, people make it and make it big here and Nigeira is growing by the day whether you agree or not. Thesame goes for the US... don't just paint it like people don't struggle there.

We can also do that, that's no biggie...either way, the difference is VERY clear. If you want to flaunt unnecessary stats and numbers out there, then let's do it right.

If you know that "per your second paragraph", then stick to your argument bruh, rather than flaunting your, "how many Americans can afford to live in Hampton". I don't need to live in Hampton nor the hill to be considered rich, after all the top 50 wealthiest Americans DO NOT live in either of these places.

Many people may not afford $10million homes like the Hampton and Beverly Hill, but they sure can afford the $200's, $300's even up to $1million depending on their profession. Doctors, lawyers, Engineers are prime examples.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by princeonx: 3:22pm On Dec 15, 2012
By May/June all this folks running their mouth about how wonderful Nigeria is will change the topic to: when is DV lottery results out? Lol! I feel sorry for those that can't visit and see for themselves seriously! No be naija wey we dey enter every year? Lol!

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Godogwu: 3:22pm On Dec 15, 2012
prince_onx:
Guy don't fool yourself with any mango island or maita-Nnama gist! How many people generally both in US, UK, the moon, and Nigeria can afford it? Is it only Nigerians abroad that your purchase challenge go to? And listen to yourself and those you named living there, how many teachers, police (not top officers), firemen, or nurses/Dr live there? Those everyday folks that teach your kids, and treat them? None! Why? Because only the mighty rich can afford it. I have read and seen topics on property section where a plot of land without a building goes for up to N200m in those places you mentioned and you are here celebrating and praising Dangote and co for living there while high percentage of Nigerians live on less than $2 a day. You're right! Most of us in US, UK, or Canada can't afford those places but we can afford a $200-$300 thousand houses (not just plot) that gives access to everything for us and our kids! Such as schools, hospital, library, water, roads, electricity, and so on and that to me is being healthy and wealthy!

Nigerians own a great portion of whatever company, home, apartments and whatever that occupy banana island or any other place in Nigeria. The same way so many Nigerians afford N30-100million naira houses and yes we pay for it at once. We also give our children the best of education in Nigeria no matter the price and trust me you don't have to be a dangote or adenuga to own a house over $300,000 in Nigeria. yes, water is not a problem for us,a library, cinema, A hospital is also not a problem for us.... the fact is everyone can't live a good life. Please do not bring up that $2.00 a day sh!t here. The Woman selling bole down the road will make over N2,000 that day, thats close to 60 thousand in 30 days...about 400 dollars no? so please!! lye down! \___________
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Nobody: 3:28pm On Dec 15, 2012
cap28:

Don't get it twisted - the chinco fought for you not because she likes you but because she knows that as an african you are willing to work harder for less - nigerians are yet to understand the dynamics of capitalism - its all about the money, a white man will employ you not because he thinks you're fantastic but because he can pay you less than he will have to pay an american citizen thereby increasing his profit margin - FACT!

This is why knowledge iS power - research the history of capitalism - the white man is rich today because of the sweat and blood of the black man - FACT!

You are very silly angry

I earn the same thing the American citizens earn. FACT. I didn't have to have an uncle or godfather in the company before I was hired. I work in an entirely white area and we are only 3 blacks there amongst all whites. They saw my productivity and eagerness to work hence I got the job. Isn't that what recruiters want? undecided

Go and do your research properly bruv. I am a legal immigrant with complete papers. They dare not pay me less than other staff. Oyibo can do that with illegal immigrants but not with me who is legal.

Go and do your research bruv and stop sounding like an ignorant mechanic wink

5 Likes

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Godogwu: 3:35pm On Dec 15, 2012
manny4life:

We can also do that, that's no biggie...either way, the difference is VERY clear. If you want to flaunt unnecessary stats and numbers out there, then let's do it right.

If you know that "per your second paragraph", then stick to your argument bruh, rather than flaunting your, "how many Americans can afford to live in Hampton". I don't need to live in Hampton nor the hill to be considered rich, after all the top 50 wealthiest Americans DO NOT live in either of these places.

Many people may not afford $10million homes like the Hampton and Beverly Hill, but they sure can afford the $200's, $300's even up to $1million depending on their profession. Doctors, lawyers, Engineers are prime examples.

Same thing goes for Nigeria!! or are you one of those illiterates that believe its only politicians that live in Lekki, Wuse, Gra etc??...nahh come of it, I expect better. I'm actually sticking to my argument which is that Nigeria is not a hell hole where "nothing works", theres no power, good roads etc and to some that said "one can't make it in Nigeria without connections or lying yaddy yaddy yadda" please!!!. I'm just saying there are opportunities in every part of the world...it just takes a very clever person to see them. Finally, we both know that a large number of Nigerians in the US don't live in $200,000 houses...just the few who actually utilized the "OPPORTUNITIES" and were not waiting on the american government to keep feeding them like some lazy people in Nigeria expect the FG to do. "its not your fault if you are born broke, but its most definitely your fault if you die broke"
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by ChopUrMoni: 3:47pm On Dec 15, 2012
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by manny4life(m): 3:48pm On Dec 15, 2012
Godogwu:

Same thing goes for Nigeria!! or are you one of those illiterates that believe its only politicians that live in Lekki, Wuse, Gra etc??...nahh come of it, I expect better. I'm actually sticking to my argument which is that Nigeria is not a hell hole where "nothing works", theres no power, good roads etc and to some that said "one can't make it in Nigeria without connections or lying yaddy yaddy yadda" please!!!. I'm just saying there are opportunities in every part of the world...it just takes a very clever person to see them. Finally, we both know that a large number of Nigerians in the US don't live in $200,000 houses...just the few who actually utilized the "OPPORTUNITIES" and were not waiting on the american government to keep feeding them like some lazy people in Nigeria expect the FG to do. "its not your fault if you are born broke, but its most definitely your fault if you die broke"

Idk, you tell me, are you of those illiterate you speak off? Whoever talked of politicians, I have no clue. You made an assertion "How many Americans", and I replied finally, per your argument that you don't have to live in these place to be known as "RICH". Wherever you came up with politicians, I don't know. You're so confused in your line of argument. undecided undecided undecided

While Nigeria may not be a hell hole "to you", well to others it is. Give me one thing that works in Nigeria and I don't have to bribe my way to it. At the end of the day, it's all about principles.

Yes, does Nigeria have good roads? Does Nigeria have good education, healthcare systems in place? In fact, I'm talking too much, let's start with their economic policies, does Nigeria have sound economic policies in place to encourage growth?

I'm not accusing Nigeria, but let's call a spade a spade. Nigerians here are not afraid of coming home, but the afraid of the reality on ground. There are so many Nigerian doctors with their own practice, it was easy for them on day one.

You're right, there are opportunities everywhere, however, there are places that makes it easier to harness those opportunities than the others... FACT. If I don't have to jump through hoops and loops just to get a license, then worry about infrastructures, then worry about a million other issue as opposed to a place where in less than 60days, I'm up and running with the right things, where do you think I'll choose first?

My friend, tell yourself the truth. The day Nigeria has average infrastructures in place, believe me, Nigerians here (professional, and jackal workers), will return home and you'll be surprised at their level of investments.

Umm, perhaps if you've been sleeping... let me know when to wake you up. Going by the top stats of where Nigerians are - NY, TX, VA/MD/DC, etc . Firstly you need to ask yourself what the average home cost in these area before you jump into your conclusion.

A greater portion of Nigerians living here have good education and good jobs, leave all the nonsense about people who claim they wash dead bodies and wash plates. For immigrants, maybe. for veterans (not FOB's), they have good jobs and leave in good home.

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by princeonx: 3:48pm On Dec 15, 2012
Godogwu:

Nigerians own a great portion of whatever company, home, apartments and whatever that occupy banana island or any other place in Nigeria. The same way so many Nigerians afford N30-100million naira houses and yes we pay for it at once. We also give our children the best of education in Nigeria no matter the price and trust me you don't have to be a dangote or adenuga to own a house over $300,000 in Nigeria. yes, water is not a problem for us,a library, cinema, A hospital is also not a problem for us.... the fact is everyone can't live a good life. Please do not bring up that $2.00 a day sh!t here. The Woman selling bole down the road will make over N2,000 that day, thats close to 60 thousand in 30 days...about 400 dollars no? so please!! lye down! \___________
Guy am not a stranger to naija! I was born and raised in Lagos so you don't impress me with all that shit you claim to have in Nigeria. How many people have access to those good schools, hospital, and library you mentioned? We are talking about basic everyday need for common man and you are talking about Adenuga, Dangote and co! They shouldn't even be in this topic! You should bring them in when we talk about Bill Gates and co. You expect me to jump and sing hossanah because Adenuga and co own properties in banana island? You said people don't have to be Adenuga to own a $300,000 dollars house in Nigeria, guy that's about N48,000,000 how many average Nigerian teachers or nurses have that money or house? A $300k house is just a minimum price for houses own by teachers, nurses and civil servants here and most of us won't/can't afford a house in Nigeria (banana island or any else) if we have to save up $300k to have a roof over us here! How many of you own a house here in the US? Yet you make noise about someone owing one here and also in Nigeria. I hope that your bole woman won't need medical attention someday even wih her 60k naira! Everyone don't have health insurance in the US but no one turned down or sent away if you need medical attention.
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by princeonx: 3:55pm On Dec 15, 2012
manny4life:

Idk, you tell me, are you of those illiterate you speak off? Whoever talked of politicians, I have no clue. You made an assertion "How many Americans", and I replied finally, per your argument that you don't have to live in these place to be known as "RICH". Wherever you came up with politicians, I don't know. You're so confused in your line of argument. undecided undecided undecided

While Nigeria may not be a hell hole "to you", well to others it is. Give me one thing that works in Nigeria and I don't have to bribe my way to it. At the end of the day, it's all about principles.

Yes, does Nigeria have good roads? Does Nigeria have good education, healthcare systems in place? In fact, I'm talking too much, let's start with their economic policies, does Nigeria have sound economic policies in place to encourage growth?

I'm not accusing Nigeria, but let's call a spade a spade. Nigerians here are not afraid of coming home, but the afraid of the reality on ground. There are so many Nigerian doctors with their own practice, it was easy for them on day one.

You're right, there are opportunities everywhere, however, there are places that makes it easier to harness those opportunities than the others... FACT. If I don't have to jump through hoops and loops just to get a license, then worry about infrastructures, then worry about a million other issue as opposed to a place where in less than 60days, I'm up and running with the right things, where do you think I'll choose first?

My friend, tell yourself the truth. The day Nigeria has average infrastructures in place, believe me, Nigerians here (professional, and jackal workers), will return home and you'll be surprised at their level of investments.

Umm, perhaps if you've been sleeping... let me know when to wake you up. Going by the top stats of where Nigerians are - NY, TX, VA/MD/DC, etc . Firstly you need to ask yourself what the average home cost in these area before you jump into your conclusion.

A greater portion of Nigerians living here have good education and good jobs, leave all the nonsense about people who claim they wash dead bodies and wash plates. For immigrants, maybe. for veterans (not FOB's), they have good jobs and leave in good home.
You should have started the above post with: finally or in conclusion because you nailed it! Well said bro!
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Nobody: 4:01pm On Dec 15, 2012
wow OP!
to me,you just wrote a bunch of BS!
where I stay in CO,Nigerians are really stepping up with what they are doing and its all legit,am into entertainment(i no dey sing o) and very well regarded in terms of that field here in CO. just like I know of a nigerian friend who just opened a restaurant described as one of the 10 best in CO. to dine at(a nigerian restaurant) likewise a few other ones doing stuff that is enough to make u proud as a Nigerian.I cant speak for other nigerians in other states but what u just wrote to me is a bunch of BSthat reeks of a man's failed attempt to make it somewhere but decides to blame it on that society.you say america is a middle class society,u are right,but your definition of how they live is totally wrong and it speaks of the way the average Nigerian thinks the average american lives
You can make it anywhere in the world as long as you have a working brain,we have Nigerians in the poorest countries in the world who are richer than a lot of Nigerians in the richest countries in the world,it all depends on you and what you use your God given talents for
when did all these boys in Naija start making big money apart from your mom or dad being in politics,it started with the influx of yahoo yahoo money which has led to hiphop and entertainment money which might lead to sonething better than that but it was the desire of a few nigerians that led to a lot of nigerians being able to pull themselves out of poverty and i am a prime example of that for i remember 10/15yrs ago how bad it was and can definitely thank God for how good it is now and believe me,got brothers and sisters in Nigeria,UK and Germany and blessings have been in all directions based on how hard we work

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by ChopUrMoni: 4:03pm On Dec 15, 2012
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Nobody: 4:09pm On Dec 15, 2012
Godogwu:

total BS,when you get to see how a hospital works here you will realise the level of the stupidity you have displayed in what u have written.you speak like people in other countries dont have relations in nigeria and there is no internet,wow.all i have to do is google way of life in nigeria and you will see so many some even posted by nigerians,
the house that you bought in nigeria for 300,000 dollars,lol,how many people don cry before that money complete,cos you can not open your mouth and tellme of any job in nigeria that pays that much for you to just throw 300,000 at a house,i get ppl for naija,i dey go naija,i dey live for naija,no yan that dust for here
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Godogwu: 4:18pm On Dec 15, 2012
manny4life:

I only mentioned politician because thats the belief of a lot of "uninformed people".

If the Nigerians abroad are afraid to go home then its frankly to their gain or detriment as the case may be. So many Nigerians cannot

I don't know about loops and all but I'm pretty sure it happens everywhere in the world. Obama's daughters are more likely to go ivy league schools get very well paying jobs and remain in that upper class as compared to a middle class family whose girls have to take student loans to pay for college and that doesn't still guarantee them a step higher in the social ladder. Nevertheless.....point noted.

Please, what do you mean by average infrastructures? we may not have excellent infrastructure like the Americans or chinese but with the economy growing at 6.7% this year (one of the fastest in the world) and at a projected double digits in the few years to come, we'll get there.

Nahh don't tell yourself that lie. I wouldn't argue that Nigerians are the richest and the most comfortable African immigrants living in the US but i'm not going to agree with you that almost everyone is comfortable...

Mortgaging a house for 30 years is not necessarily what i define as success but oh well. everyone has their opinion no?
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by princeonx: 4:24pm On Dec 15, 2012
ChopUrMoni:

[b]Well... I know all the downside... does that mean we should sit back? 99% of Nigerians here think i'm crazy for even thinking about going back. HOWEVER, I am NOT talking about going back and living everyday life, neither am i talking about going back when all is perfect. How can all be perfect When every body runs away or turns a blind eye I am talking about those who have something to offer GO BACK AND CONTRIBUTE you dont have to live there. You are talking about needing jos, schools, hospital. Average people can make this things happen. If only we would change our mindset come togther and rebuild the nation... Ghana is a perfect example. I'm tired of people blaming government and the white man for the mess that is in front of them instead of taking responsibilty and fixing it up.

U ARE SO BLIND.... if Martin Luther King had sat back and said the things you are saying the blacks in American would still be in slaves today. So would black South Africans. SELFISH PEOPLE ONLY THINK OF THEMSELVES. If you are NOT willing to risk you life for the lives of others FINE but don't insult those who are. I thank God that the world is NOT filled with ppl like you otherwise there WILL NEVER BE HOPE.
[/b]
The world is a mess especially Nigeria because of people like you who have no value for life! You sit down behind your screen in a foreign land, on your day off and lecture about how to fix Nigeria or who to fix Nigeria why not be the MLK you want others to be? How many business or investments have you done in Nigeria without stories at the end? The US had/have made a big change in my life and my family so get pissed if you want but I will die for American before Nigeria. You probably don't even have a Nigeria passport and if you do how were you treated the last time your traveled with it? Nigeria is a failed nation and we both wont be having this conversation if we don't ha e Nigeria ties. I know Doctors who have invested their hard earned money in building small clinic in Nigeria and a year later it all went down in stories! And while you don't have to wait for government to do everything, they should do something at least. Everyone in the US is not rich but there are programs to help with school, housing, hospital, and even food and that reduces the level of crime. If an individual establish any of those things in Nigeria, it will be run down by hungry folks. Let me even ask you an honest question, where do you want to start in fixing Nigeria? Have you finish fixing the problem in your family? Start there first! Have you helped everybody in your family back home with education or petty trading? You guys just open your 32 and talk $h!7
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by ChopUrMoni: 4:45pm On Dec 15, 2012
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by ChopUrMoni: 4:55pm On Dec 15, 2012
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by princeonx: 5:10pm On Dec 15, 2012
ChopUrMoni:

[b]PLEASE READ MY POST... U ARE OBVIOUSLY ANGRY WITH THE WHOLE OF NIGERIANS FOR NOT FEEDING YOU GARRI WITH SALT WHEN YOU WERE IN NEED. I didn't ask you to be an MLK i said if you are not wanting to do anything for your country thats DOESNT mean they are people out there who dont... YES! Nigeria hasnt done anything for you and I SO WHAT?? Those that mean everyone should ditch the country OR you dont have anybody related to you there
YOU KEEP POINTING OUT THE ISSUE BUT TELLING ME NOT TO CARE. YOU ARE RAMBLING ON ABOUT ALL THE ISSUES.... WITHOUT SOLUTION!!! WELL.... IF I COULD GIVE HOPE TO EVEN ONE PERSON I WOULD!!! Unlike you i dont bash people for there wrong doing. Are you perfect WHAT HAVE U DONE FOR UR LOVED ONCE BACK HOME HAVE YOU PUT ONE CHILD IS SCHOOL OR BOUGHT ONE PERSON SLIPPERS EVERYONE WANTS A MIRACLE when it takes ONLY ONE person to make a small change... If everybody plays a role instead of grumbling and complaining like you maybe the country wouldn't be that bad.
FOR YOUR INFO YES YES EVERY SINGLE FAMILY MEMBER OF MINE BACK HOME IS IN SCHOOL... [/b]
Well am glad to hear the last sentence about everyone in school. Now let me ask you, how many times have you made a call or visited anyone in charge when that same school go on strike? I guess none! and why is that? I guess because $h!7 don't work in naija unlike here where you can call and schedule an appointment to see the governor or even president (that might take you years). FYI I don't give hopes just for hope sake! I don't have solution to fixing Nigeria so I will leave that to people like you who do. I said in my last post that the US had helped me and my whole family and that is through me. I knew what my family was like before I moved here and I know the difference today! My dad was a retired Nigeria Airways staff that dealt with come today, come tomorrow until he passed to get his hard earned pension. Same education that took me two years even though I was also working took my sister 5 yrs as a full time student! I won't come on faceless forum to brag with you about what I had/have done for my family! And incase you didn't read that part in my last post, both God and satan forbid me dying for naija! Make anybody wey wan die go die, I no go die for naija period. I had an uncle who think like you and went home to fix $h!7 as a local government chairman! Very educated an well to do guy who was even ready to use his own money to build schools and hospital, he lasted only about 3 months before they killed him! Why? Because they said he's always on their way to make money! Each time he try to correct things, they turn around and tell him "na so we dey do for naija"
So in a knot shell, am not, will not be MLK for naija. It's OK to lay your life knowing people will benefit from it even if you die! As bad as America might be or treat blacks during MLK, me and you were able to know that name because MLK was an American and the world was watching! If he was a Nigeria, you won't know that name cux he will be killed within his first week of protest! Do you know Fela? Where is he today and what change do uou see in naija after all he said and did?

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by princeonx: 5:17pm On Dec 15, 2012
ChopUrMoni:

YOU ARE SO FOOLISH... If MLK didnt risk his life would you be in the states today with a computer and having the opportunity you have today Would you even enter that nation? Would Obama be president? YOU SIT THERE AND ENJOY THE BENEFITS OF ANOTHER MANS LIFE AND LABOUR WHILE SELFISHLY THINKING ONLY OF YOURSELF.
Wow! I must have taped a nerve! You are just dealing with only me and you're causing and shouting yet you wan go face naija! People like you can't last a week in naija! Lol and what do you call people that talk to foolish people? See head wey wan take go fix naija! You think say na your local government be naija!
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by ChopUrMoni: 5:17pm On Dec 15, 2012
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by princeonx: 5:24pm On Dec 15, 2012
ChopUrMoni:

ROTFLMAO..... grin grin grin
Funny right? Exactly! And am open to hear how you or anybody else want to handle this naija fixing! You were laughing at me for not dying for naija, well it's because we (Nigerians) love life! If Nigeria was an Arab nation, we will be better than the US today cux those guys will get up as fight even if they have to die! But I will rather moved all my families here than die for one useless country where N, E, S, and W don't even believe they're one country except on a map
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by ChopUrMoni: 5:24pm On Dec 15, 2012
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by princeonx: 5:41pm On Dec 15, 2012
ChopUrMoni:

LOL... Oh please i have for a long way to go. But its on my heart. Its a shame that stubbornness and pride is so deep in us Nigerians. All of us too know... BTW na ur head i go borrow take go fix naija.
Lol! For where you wan see my head?
On a serious note though most Nigerian don't hate Nigeria especially those abroad and they are not afraid to come home but what has home for to offer? And I don't mean money! Am talking about things like common electricity, roads, water, hospital, and schools! I don't think that's asking for two much! In the western world they make complicated things simply while in Africa we make simple things complicated. I know people that moved here just 3 or 4yrs ago with only $300 in their pocket, today they are living comfortable! Why? Because things are in place and run how they should. I also know those that has lost $ millions in naija! Why? Because $h!7 don't work. I recalled when I was granted admission here in the US, even before receiving the adm letter, I asked the lady more than 4 times if am now a student at the school! I asked her so I can just buy my books and come to class? That was so easy bcox I did everything by myself! Compare to naija where even with good results you have to know who know who! Anyway, got to go! Let me know when you come up with a plan in fixing our almighty Nigeria lol! Cheers!
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by bjdon: 5:47pm On Dec 15, 2012
mpmp: @

YOU ARE SO UNINFORMED. YOU ARE AN HE-GOAT if you think all you wrote was sound advise

Dear all
99% of those screaming "you can make it in Nigeria" are total mental failures. They have gone abroad, couldn't make it and are now looking for an alibi: Nigeria. They are either of two categories:

a) someone living outside Nigeria and telling you to go back to Nigeria because you can make it there, or
b) someone living in Nigeria and telling you not to go abroad because you can make it in Nigeria

Whenever you hear someone like that, please close your ears. They have no advise for themselves, talk less for you. Which is better: an environment where things are working or an environment where nothing works.
ex:
It is only in Nigeria where people actually pray to God for electricity. Over years, your psyche even changes to believe that electricity comes from God.

Oh yes, can you make it in Nigeria? but you have to buy everything and be a little corrupt in the process:
a) you buy your own water. Ive been living in Lagos since 2006 and govt water hasnt flowed out of my faucet once; I mean I dug my own well, bought my own pump, hired my own plumber, bought my own tank, etc....just to get water into my house.

b) you buy your own security at home, on the road, at work, all around: coz the Nigerian police cannot even secure itself. We know the rest of the story. Get a mallam, give him some money and a sharp knife and tell him to watch your gates.

c) between a car / public transport: well, I have a car and I have my own mechanic, I have my own road-safety officer and a contact in the army who gave me an army badge. I also have a couple of arial boys in each part of Lagos - just in case.

You can continue with the list for every area of life and living, but can you tell me if such a life is normal?

Isnt it better to pay taxes and live a normal life in a sane environment than live in a jungle called Nigeria with millions in the bank, millions that you dont feel safe about? and be watching your back 247 just because nothing works normally?

Is there any rich man in Nigeria that can walk the streets comfortably?. Can the Dangote/Adenuga you have mentioned walk around as normal people? When last did either of them buy anything in Obalende? The financial resources Dangote/Adenuga spend to power their houses, business outlets, offices, etc is more than the yearly educational budgets of some African countries, and yet we happy about it.

Even barrack Obama and his wife live more normal lives that some rich ppl in Nigeria.

@
If you are a poor man in America, please remain poor, but NIGERIA IS DEFINITELY NOT THE BEST PLACE TO BE as far as sanity is concerned.

And rather than talking about Nigeria, why not tell us how rich you can be living in some other African countries that import pure water from Nigeria. I bet, you could be a multibillionaire overthere coz their dollar exchange rate is higher than our naira.

Yes, to be rich in America, you need a great idea, something nobody has ever done before, like an invention.......this should be the ideal

Unfortunately, to be rich in Nigeria, you dont need a great idea, you dont even need a brain. You just need to know how to forge signatures, dupe a couple of people, and the money starts rolling in. Just make sure you have a brother in customs, another brother in the police, and another one in the army. Have a sister in the civil service and a couple of boys to do your bidding.

Or you can work in a bank, cheat your employers and customers, deduct 1-naira from each account or sell your virginity for new customers; or you might not even do the cheating, you can just aid in the misappropriation of funds for your own small cut. After this you can begin selling plots of land that dont belong to you.

Or launch a problem with some advertized services, knowing fully well you cannot provide any of them. How fast is your internet speed in America and how much do you pay for it per month. Check out a similar internet speed in Nigeria and its cost.

Or you can carry a Bible or Koran and go preaching the good news, tell your listeners that God will provide them a jet before tomorrow morning, but they must empty their bank accounts into your offering bag.

Or you could join politics, have a god father or mother in place, almost kill and roughen up a couple of people - coz the final aim is the money which begins to flow once you elect yourself.

In conclusion, its easier to make it in Nigeria than in America. but you must leave sanity at home.

Its people like you who end up decieving people seeking a better life.

I just returned from a trip to europe-italy and I met with several refugees from Africa. An example was a sudanese guy who earned a PhD in nanotechnology, all on italian govt scholarship, after 7-years of arriving in Italy - despite the fact that he had refugee status. He completed a B.Sc, Msc and Phd all within 7years of his arrival. Presently, hes on a post-doc in the US. Thats what going abroad can do for you. Can any so called refugee in Nigeria achieve such a feat? how many refugees in Nigeria have such a hope, how many of them graduated from our Universities in the past 10years? Ok, forget the refugees, how about bonafide Nigerian youths? Is there any hope for them?

Has the govt provided scholarships for its youth? talk less for refugees?

I would tell anyone who wants to go abroad for study or to get a life to please make necessary enquiries and please go.

So many destinies are ruined everyday in Nigeria, unfortunately we allow selfishness to have the better of us.

Just in case you might wonder: Yes, I met Nigerians hussle-ing, doing 2-3 dignifying jobs, and making ends meet. They might not be rich because they live honestly and not flamboyantly, but they are moving ahead with their lives and families.

And lastly, Mr ,
the point is not to just be rich, but to make your wealth in a legit way. Most people in the Nigerian society which are looked up to as being rich have skeletons in their cupboards, but we usually dont like talking about that either.

Very well said indeed. A lot of wisdom here

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Man Sleeping On A Moving Truck In Abuja / Warning To Women Coming To Turkey For Prostitution(photos) / Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 152
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.