Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,153 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:12 AM

Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism (13595 Views)

Logicboy's Successes And Failures On Nairaland! / Logicboy Meets Anony (epic) / In Defence Of Logicboy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by UyiIredia(m): 7:18pm On Jan 02, 2013
Logicboy03:

How did you arrive at that from my comment?

this is why I dont like arguing with you. You hardly make sense.

What else should I ask. you said a certain statement of mine only makes sense if humans are ONLY matter. So I had to ask whether you believe they posses something other than matter. Now to the nitty-gritty. I believe you made that statement either to stall or because you had no reply. You actually know that matter lacks morality. You know humans are composed of matter and chances are you don't believe that humans posses a soul, mind or whatever its called. Why don't you just admit you are wrong. That morality couldn't have magically evolved out of something that lacked it.

Once again here's my line of reasoning on the matter.

- Matter lacks morality.
- Morality requires intelligence.
- Humans are intelligent.
- I infer an intelligent being endowed humans with the intelligence required to apprehend morality.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jan 02, 2013
Mr_Anony:

Seriously? Hae you so quickly forgotten this?

How does human beings being more than matter automatically mean that an intanglible spiritual mind exists?
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by UyiIredia(m): 7:22pm On Jan 02, 2013
Mr_Anony:

Seriously? Hae you so quickly forgotten this?

Typical of logicboy. So far gone in his isle of ignorance to realize when cogent points are made.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 7:25pm On Jan 02, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

What else should I ask. you said a certain statement of mine only makes sense if humans are ONLY matter. So I had to ask whether you believe they posses something other than matter. Now to the nitty-gritty. I believe you made that statement either to stall or because you had no reply. You actually know that matter lacks morality. You know humans are composed of matter and chances are you don't believe that humans posses a soul, mind or whatever its called. Why don't you just admit you are wrong. That morality couldn't have magically evolved out of something that lacked it.

Once again here's my line of reasoning on the matter.

- Matter lacks morality.
- Morality requires intelligence.
- Humans are intelligent.
- I infer an intelligent being endowed humans with the intelligence required to apprehend morality.

-Matter lacks flatulence
-Flatulence requires bowel incontinence
-Humans are bowel incontinent
-I infer a shi!tty being that endowed humans with the incontinence required to fart anyhow
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by MrAnony1(m): 7:26pm On Jan 02, 2013
Logicboy03:

How does human beings being more than matter automatically mean that an intanglible spiritual mind exists?
Wow?? please tell me what else it must mean.

If you are more than matter, does that not mean that there is an aspect of you that must therefore not be matter? or do you have examples of intangible matter you may want to bring to our notice?

...by the way, he did not use the word "spiritual" so please don't insert it so that you don't put words into his mouth later.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by UyiIredia(m): 7:26pm On Jan 02, 2013
Logicboy03:

sad

It wuld serve you well to stop repeating ignorant questions and start reading what others write.

Who said that there are guidelines for behaviour to survive? Read the comment again

Those behaviours are survival instincts that form a basic, animalistic morality. You protect young ones so that your genes and and family survive.You avoid predators. You avoid things that are harmful to survival.

But we do know that humans make moral choices to their doom eg dying in order to save a child. This clearly nullifies the possibility of survival instincts being the basis of morality since people sometimes make moral choices in spite of survival. If you were right there would be nothing like altruism.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by MrAnony1(m): 7:28pm On Jan 02, 2013
Logicboy03:

-Matter lacks flatulence
-I infer a shi!tty being that endowed humans with the incontinence required to fart anyhow
This is just you being childish and silly.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by UyiIredia(m): 7:29pm On Jan 02, 2013
Logicboy03:

Then what's the atheist's argument for how morality comes to exist. I said matter lacks morality. You said that would only be correct if humans are made of only matter so you must know something else we are made of that allows us to be moral. Oya ! Spit it out.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by UyiIredia(m): 7:31pm On Jan 02, 2013
Logicboy03:

-Matter lacks flatulence

You aren't serious are you. Is this supposed to be a reply. I'll take it you have no cogent point to make.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jan 02, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

But we do know that humans make moral choices to their doom eg dying in order to save a child. This clearly nullifies the possibility of survival instincts being the basis of morality since people sometimes make moral choices in spite of survival. If you were right there would be nothing like altruism.

We are finally making progress. You have made a great observation

There are 3 basis for morality

-survival instincts (due to natural selection)
-reasoning (with an evolved brain)
-society

Now, survival doesnt always mean the survival of the individual. We are social animals by nature. Survival could be that of our kin or or species.

We also have logic, where we make a logical choice- do I sacrifice myself for him? is his lif wort more than mine?
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by MrAnony1(m): 7:33pm On Jan 02, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Then what's the atheist's argument for how morality comes to exist. I said matter lacks morality. You said that would only be correct if humans are made of only matter so you must know something else we are made of that allows us to be moral. Oya ! Spit it out.
Perfect.....now wait for the specially branded logicboy insultive response.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 7:37pm On Jan 02, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

You aren't serious are you. Is this supposed to be a reply. I'll take it you have no cogent point to make.

That is my point. you follow logical steps with some failed premises and you get nonsense conclusions. Garbage in garbage out.

Morality cant be from God or we would have chaos. God is na subjective experience and so is your bible. One interpretation claiming absolute superirority over the other! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed shocked shocked
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jan 02, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

morality is a concept of the human mind brain. I cant even use the word "mind" because I know how shallow you are grin

Anyways 3 basis for morality;

-survival instincts
-logic/reasoning
-society
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by UyiIredia(m): 7:44pm On Jan 02, 2013
Logicboy03:

We are finally making progress. You have made a great observation

There are 3 basis for morality

-survival instincts (due to natural selection)
-reasoning (with an evolved brain)
-society

Now, survival doesnt always mean the survival of the individual. We are social animals by nature. Survival could be that of our kin or or species.

We also have logic, where we make a logical choice- do I sacrifice myself for him? is his lif wort more than mine?

Now my points:

- Natural selection couldn't possibly have created survival instincts since Nature is a classification that lacks the required cognitive abilities needed to hardcode these instincts. Survival instincts are just that survival instincts. I don't see how they could be a basis for morality without the INTELLIGENCE required.
- Agreed. We need reason to be moral. I disagree it evolved.
- Agreed.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by MrAnony1(m): 7:46pm On Jan 02, 2013
Logicboy03:

morality is a concept of the human mind brain. I cant even use the word "mind" because I know how shallow you are grin

-survival instincts
-logic/reasoning
-society
We both know that you have not answered his question
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by MrAnony1(m): 7:48pm On Jan 02, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Now my points:

- Natural selection couldn't possibly have created survival instincts since Nature is a classification that lacks the required cognitive abilities needed to hardcode these instincts. Survival instincts are just that survival instincts. I don't see how they could be a basis for morality without the INTELLIGENCE required.
- Agreed.

Notice that he still hasn't told us about that intangible aspect of human beings that allows us to have a morality
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by UyiIredia(m): 7:48pm On Jan 02, 2013
Logicboy03:

-survival instincts
-logic/reasoning
-society

Can't even properly answer a question. What else are humans made of that allows us to have morality?
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by UyiIredia(m): 7:52pm On Jan 02, 2013
Mr_Anony:
Notice that he still hasn't told us about that intangible aspect of human beings that allows us to have a morality

His post below didn't even answer it.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 7:52pm On Jan 02, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Now my points:

- Agreed.

I never said that natural selection creates life or intelligence.

Life is intelligent by nature. All animals, even unicellular organisms try to survive. To survive you gotta adapt to your environment- this is expalined by natural selection.

our survival instincts form a basic morality. We avoid things that will kill us. Why is it bad to eat our feaces? You will die of disease.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jan 02, 2013
Mr_Anony:
We both know that you have not answered his question

I have
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 7:54pm On Jan 02, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Can't even properly answer a question. What else are humans made of that allows us to have morality?

Consciousness? The reasoning ability of a brain.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by MrAnony1(m): 7:55pm On Jan 02, 2013
Logicboy03:

I have
Is English comprehension a problem for you? What else are humans made of that allows us to have morality?
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 7:55pm On Jan 02, 2013
Mr_Anony:

more than matter does not = intangibility

dont kill me with your failed logic abeg
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by UyiIredia(m): 8:00pm On Jan 02, 2013
Logicboy03:

I never said that natural selection creates life or intelligence.

Neither did I say that you said such.

Logicboy03: Life is intelligent by nature. All animals, even unicellular organisms try to survive. To survive you gotta adapt to your environment- this is expalined by natural selection.

Natural selection doesn't endow organism with the ability to survive. Its the genes which code for the organisms structure which endow the organism with the ability to survive. A more accurate thing to say is that Life portrays intelligence (life isn't a thing that has intelligence).

Logicboy03: our survival instincts form a basic morality. We avoid things that will kill us. Why is it bad to eat our feaces? You will die of disease.

To avoid things that kill you need intelligence. But as I said your theory hardly explains altruism.

Logicboy03:

I have

You haven't.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by UyiIredia(m): 8:06pm On Jan 02, 2013
Logicboy03:

And how did the brain get the reasoning ability that allows it to apprehend morality ? You have to answer this because there are other organisms with brains without the same capacity for morality as man. BTW, note that the reasoning ability of a brain IS NOT something tangible.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by MrAnony1(m): 8:06pm On Jan 02, 2013
Logicboy03:

more than matter does not = intangibility

dont kill me with your failed logic abeg
please cite one example of intangible matter
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by MrAnony1(m): 8:07pm On Jan 02, 2013
Logicboy03:
Lol, is this a question or a definition
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 8:11pm On Jan 02, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Neither did I say that you said such.

hmmm

Uyi Iredia:

Natural selection doesn't endow organism with the ability to survive
. Its the genes which code for the organisms structure which endow the organism with the ability to survive. A more accurate thing to say is that Life portrays intelligence (life isn't a thing that has intelligence).

We agree on the bold. Please try to understand me.

Life portrays intelligence. Life has intelligence. Whatever, you get my point.

As for you dubious genetics, I wonder how it changes the overall point I made

Uyi Iredia:
To avoid things that kill you need intelligence. But as I said your theory hardly explains altruism.

Then all surviving animals are intelligent. wink This is why I prefer to use "reason". One doesnt have to reason to do certain things.

I have explained altruism with survival and logic. What more do you want?

Uyi Iredia:
You haven't.

I have
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 8:12pm On Jan 02, 2013
Mr_Anony:
please cite one example of intangible matter

Who is talking about intangible matter? How do you arrive at these questions?
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by UyiIredia(m): 8:14pm On Jan 02, 2013
Mr_Anony:
Lol, is this a question or a definition

A poor answer. Because a reasoning ability is not something tangible. the question beside consciousness seems tome to be a sign of confusion. Besides consciousness is VERY clearly intagible.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jan 02, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

And how did the brain get the reasoning ability that allows it to apprehend morality ? You have to answer this because there are other organisms with brains without the same capacity for morality as man. BTW, note that the reasoning ability of a brain IS NOT something tangible.

The process of making thought is very physical. Go and read.

We can reason and that is why we as humans can bypass our animalistic morality. This is what separates us from animals. Reasoning.

Think of abortion and infanticide. Many animals will kill their young if deformed or the young is a threat to their existence or there is a lack of resources for others. We human beings apply reasoning to understand that survival of the fittest is too harsh and we can try to treat the deformity, conserve resources or even find others who can help with our young (foster care)
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 8:18pm On Jan 02, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

A poor answer. Because a reasoning ability is not something tangible. the question beside consciousness seems tome to be a sign of confusion. Besides consciousness is VERY clearly intagible.

Consciousness is tied to the brain. No brain no consciousness. We know how tangible the brain is.

A very good answer. Mixing an abstract with the physical. wink

You cant touch me cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

D / Ghanaian Pastors Are Proving Worse Than Nigeria’s / Must Read: Olodumare (GOD) In Yoruba Ifa And Orisha Is Monotheistic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.