Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,860 members, 7,810,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:42 AM

Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route (7086 Views)

Tragedy Averted As Aircraft Tyre Bursts / Another Plane Crash Averted In Abuja / Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by israel007: 9:07am On Dec 20, 2012
Smarting from the helicopter crash that claimed the lives of former Governor of Kaduna State, Patrick Yakowa, former National Security Adviser, General Andrew Azazi, and four others last Saturday in Bayelsa State, the nation would have witnessed yet another disaster but for providence, as an Overland Airways flight from Ilorin to Lagos suffered technical problems on take-off.

A source told Vanguard that the flight, OJ 1188, had difficulties stabilising in the air as the landing gear failed to retract after take-off from Ilorin Airport, Sunday.

The pilot was said to have continued the journey to Lagos, with the flight witnessing turbulence as the landing gear failed to retract.

A passenger on the flight said the aircraft wobbled its way into Murtala Muhammad Airport with its landing gear hanging dangerously throughout the flight.

Vanguard could not confirm the incident from the operator of the airline, Capt. Edward Boyo, last night as calls put through his mobile number remained unanswered.

However, Director-General of Nigerian Civil Authority, NCAA, Dr. Harold Demuren, who confirmed the development, said the aircraft on take-off at Ilorin Airport, hit an object which made it impossible for the landing gear to retract after take-off.

He said the pilot was, however, able to manipulate the aircraft to land safely in Lagos, without injuries to the passengers

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/12/air-mishap-averted-on-ilorin-lagos-route/
Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by Olaolufred(m): 10:19am On Dec 20, 2012
ANOTHER SUPER STORY
Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by engrfcuksmtin(m): 10:34am On Dec 20, 2012
OK
Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by Jakumo(m): 10:39am On Dec 20, 2012
That pilot made a monumental error in judgement by continuing the flight to his destination with stuck landing gear.

Normal procedure would have been to circle round after takeoff, and land immediately on the same runway, after spending just a couple of minutes airborne.
Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by buJu234: 1:26pm On Dec 20, 2012
is it that GOODLUCK NIGERIA is now turning to BADLuck NIEGRIA
Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by crisycent: 1:30pm On Dec 20, 2012
buJu-234:

Can you shut your superstitious mouth?

2 Likes

Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by sulaimon99(m): 1:30pm On Dec 20, 2012
may ALLAH save and guide us all
Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by dondada1(m): 1:32pm On Dec 20, 2012
GOD HELP NIGERIA...
Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by Nasri100(m): 1:32pm On Dec 20, 2012
"Able to manipulate " na taxi? cheesy
Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by heroofnigeria: 1:36pm On Dec 20, 2012
WHO IS THE AVIATION MINISTER PLSSSSS.

Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by baby124: 1:39pm On Dec 20, 2012
Dejavu! It is safest to ride a bicycle on palm wine tapper route to travel within Nigeria. All other travel options are like russian roulette. lipsrsealed
Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by lanetrips: 1:39pm On Dec 20, 2012
LORD,anoint our airspace in JESUS name.
Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by Opoki(m): 1:45pm On Dec 20, 2012
heroofnigeria: WHO IS THE AVIATION MINISTER PLSSSSS.

We don't have one.
Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by mu2sa2: 1:54pm On Dec 20, 2012
Overland has only two planes - one is 25 years old, the other 19. For a long time it was d only airline serving lagos-ilorin-abuja route, until Arik's tuesdays, thurs and saturdays flights were introduced. If i hav a choice I will never travel on their molue plane again- noisy, hot and scary.Arik planes are I believe new.
Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by ujukala: 2:05pm On Dec 20, 2012
Time to be extremely careful.
Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by isuomo: 2:07pm On Dec 20, 2012
Is MMA on fire?
Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by ubong560(m): 2:14pm On Dec 20, 2012
Dat i-d-iot wey mention Jonathan name, na Jonathan drive de plane abi na him make de gear de hang? D best mumu of dis day.
Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by brownlord: 2:18pm On Dec 20, 2012
israel007: Smarting from the helicopter crash that claimed the lives of former Governor of Kaduna State, Patrick Yakowa, former National Security Adviser, General Andrew Azazi, and four others last Saturday in Bayelsa State, the nation would have witnessed yet another disaster but for providence, as an Overland Airways flight from Ilorin to Lagos suffered technical problems on take-off.

A source told Vanguard that the flight, OJ 1188, had difficulties stabilising in the air as the landing gear failed to retract after take-off from Ilorin Airport, Sunday.

The pilot was said to have continued the journey to Lagos, with the flight witnessing turbulence as the landing gear failed to retract.

A passenger on the flight said the aircraft wobbled its way into Murtala Muhammad Airport with its landing gear hanging dangerously throughout the flight.

Vanguard could not confirm the incident from the operator of the airline, Capt. Edward Boyo, last night as calls put through his mobile number remained unanswered.

However, Director-General of Nigerian Civil Authority, NCAA, Dr. Harold Demuren, who confirmed the development, said the aircraft on take-off at Ilorin Airport, hit an object which made it impossible for the landing gear to retract after take-off.

He said the pilot was, however, able to manipulate the aircraft to land safely in Lagos, without injuries to the passengers

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/12/air-mishap-averted-on-ilorin-lagos-route/

Ok the plane enter Gallup, lol notin we no go hear
Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by Emmyk(m): 2:23pm On Dec 20, 2012
Oloun sheun fa!
Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by Bolt2011(m): 2:24pm On Dec 20, 2012
I bet you most of the passengers of that flight would have said their last prayers several times. Some would have peed on their seats. Thank God for mercy. 'It didn't funny rara'
Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by Nobody: 2:31pm On Dec 20, 2012
buJu-234:
\

Goat brain better pass your own
Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by Nobody: 2:33pm On Dec 20, 2012
The pilot made a great and grave mistake, He risked the life of all the people onboard that aircraft. Thank God it didn't crash.
Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by israel007: 2:42pm On Dec 20, 2012
And now MMIA is on fire!

Geeeeeeezzzzzzz
Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by Dankudi: 2:48pm On Dec 20, 2012
I am not an aviation expert, but common sense tells me the sensible thing to do was abort the journey and attempt to land the aircraft at Ilorin airport instead of flying to Lagos.

Local flights are now a No-No for me.

Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by horlajide: 2:53pm On Dec 20, 2012
Hightime this airline is brought down

horlajide: shocked Overland ke!!!!! Please don't even contemplate O°˚˚˚˚˚°o ,boarded overland to Asaba from Lagos, if no be say I be young man I for don die of heart attack inside the plane.
Everyone in plane kept looking at the other's face like "please feel free to lead us in our Last prayer"

horlajide: Seems nobody here has boarded OVERLAND before..anybody willing to try?? I swear u go come back come re-edit your post,I pray you come back alive though lipsrsealed
Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by hardbody: 2:54pm On Dec 20, 2012
In this era of mishaps, why people still dey fly from short distances such as Ilorin to Lagos. I am not so certain, but i am almost sure i can do that distance in 3 hours at regular driving. ANyways, i thank God for their lives.
Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by hardbody: 2:56pm On Dec 20, 2012
Dankudi: I am not an aviation expert, but common sense tells me the sensible thing to do was abort the journey and attempt to land the aircraft at Ilorin airport instead of flying to Lagos.

Bros u dey fly before? Na question oo, no vex.
Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by Melahou(m): 2:58pm On Dec 20, 2012

i wonder wat could that be.maybe bump in the air
Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by Ganys: 2:59pm On Dec 20, 2012
I have said it several times here that overland aircrafts are glofied flying danfo. I was in ilorin few months ago and witnessed an horrible event in the sky involving this same overland airMolue. I rushed here to open a thread..
Check out the thread below and see the PICTURES

https://www.nairaland.com/1067297/us-pray-against-plane-crash
Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by JimmyBoy1: 4:08pm On Dec 20, 2012
Dankudi: I am not an aviation expert, but common sense tells me the sensible thing to do was abort the journey and attempt to land the aircraft at Ilorin airport instead of flying to Lagos.

Apparently, the pilot was ordered to continue the journey to Lagos, perhapsto avoid refunding the passengers air fare.
Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by Ad4(m): 5:47pm On Dec 20, 2012
I flew with overland recently and the plane was really noisy. I was wondering which kind of airplane was this. I recovered from the noise after several days. Overland should please check there plans.
Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by cold(m): 5:47pm On Dec 20, 2012
sulaimon99: may ALLAH save and guide us all
lanetrips: LORD,anoint our airspace in JESUS name.
Mtcheew angry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Almost All Successful Young Nigerians In America Are Into Fraud / Uguta Wonderlake Imo State A Growing Tourist Destination / Cheap Tickets To Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.