Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,209 members, 7,953,773 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 05:29 AM

Lagos-Kano Passenger & Fuel-Haulage Train Launched - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos-Kano Passenger & Fuel-Haulage Train Launched (13358 Views)

Lagos-kano Rail To Generate 250,000 Jobs – Amaechi / Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest / Passengers Overwhelm NRC On Lagos-kano Route (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos-Kano Passenger & Fuel-Haulage Train Launched by Maxymilliano(m): 4:57pm On Dec 21, 2012
The Federal Government on Friday in Lagos inaugurated the Nigeria Railway Corporation’s Lagos-Kano intercity passenger train services and haulage of petroleum products.

The Minister of Transport, Senator Idris Umar, said at the event that the government was still committed to revamping the transport sector, particularly railway services, because of its importance to Nigeria’s economic development.

The revitalized Lagos-Kano intercity train services will complement the existing Lagos- Ilorin and Minna-Kano intercity train services.

Umar said: “This segment holds the key to the development of the economy of the nation from the commercial port city of Lagos to the commercial hub of northern Nigeria in Kano.

“ This is vital to the start-off of the transformation of the Nigerian economy.

Umar said that the Federal Government had also awarded contracts for feasibility studies to open up other railway routes.

He explained that the government was also rehabilitating the Eastern Railway Line from Port Harcourt –Maiduguri with spur lines from Kuru-Kafanchan –Kaduna and Kuru-Jos.

The Minister also said that government was repairing the Zaria-Gusau-Kauran Namoda Rail Line.

He added that the government was modernizing the Project Phase I, Addendum 1, Abuja-Kaduna (Idu) Standard Gauge Rail Line (187km)

The minister further said that the government was repairing the existing 254km and completing the remaining 22km Standard Gauge Rail Line of the Central Rail Line from Ajaokuta-Warri with station buildings.

The Managing Director of the NRC, Mr Adeseyi Sijuwade, said that Lagos-Kano Route covered a stretch of 1,126km.

Sijuade said that the rehabilitation was much awaited, and hoped that train services on the route would improve Nigeria’s economy.

He said that NRC transported 450,000 litres of diesel on Friday from Lagos to Offa, through the route, to mark its inauguration.

“Today, we celebrate a successful completion of track and signalling rehabilitation of the Western Rail Line and the re-commencement of passenger and freight rail services on the Lagos-Kano corridor,’’ he said.

He hoped that the re-commencement of train services on the route would provide employment opportunities and enhance trade and commerce, as well as reduce accidents on the roads.

He urged the Federal Government to adequately fund the corporation for the maintenance and operation of the newly rehabilitated rail lines to ensure that the NRC did not relapse into dilapidation. (NAN)

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/12/21/nigeria-launches-lagos-kano-train-service/

3 Likes

Re: Lagos-Kano Passenger & Fuel-Haulage Train Launched by Ikengawo: 5:04pm On Dec 21, 2012
nice!

1 Like

Re: Lagos-Kano Passenger & Fuel-Haulage Train Launched by otokx(m): 5:08pm On Dec 21, 2012
How many hours did the train take to reach Offa from Lagos? How many weeks will the train take to reach Kano from Lagos?
Re: Lagos-Kano Passenger & Fuel-Haulage Train Launched by takedat(m): 5:26pm On Dec 21, 2012
This is commendable but the minister failed to give a date to when the train service to Kano will commence. There is a train service from Lagos to Ilorin presently and Offa is nearby Ilorin so this is more like the old routine
Re: Lagos-Kano Passenger & Fuel-Haulage Train Launched by Nobody: 5:28pm On Dec 21, 2012
Mhmm
Re: Lagos-Kano Passenger & Fuel-Haulage Train Launched by omenziate(m): 5:28pm On Dec 21, 2012
otokx: How many hours did the train take to reach Offa from Lagos? How many weeks will the train take to reach Kano from Lagos?

Chairman, u go like fight pass quarrel. Why u b killjoy like dis na? Shey lapping go dey?

5 Likes

Re: Lagos-Kano Passenger & Fuel-Haulage Train Launched by Nobody: 5:29pm On Dec 21, 2012
For once PDP has done something very commendable. Like say we de hear news like this before,we for no de quarrel nah

3 Likes

Re: Lagos-Kano Passenger & Fuel-Haulage Train Launched by israel007: 5:29pm On Dec 21, 2012
In one sentence: HOW MANY HOURS FROM LAGOS TO KANO. Until that's answered, its a useless improvement
Re: Lagos-Kano Passenger & Fuel-Haulage Train Launched by Maxymilliano(m): 5:31pm On Dec 21, 2012
take dat: This is commendable but the minister failed to give a date to when the train service to Kano will commence. There is a train service from Lagos to Ilorin presently and Offa is nearby Ilorin so this is more like the old routine

Better be late in coming than never Bro...

AFTER DECADES of INACTIVITY, Lagos-Kano train services return at just 1,500 Naira only

The Nigerian Railway Corporation on Friday commenced operation of mass transit on the Lagos-Kano route. The Minister of Transport, Senator Idris Umar inaugurated the trains and rode with Kano-bound passengers. The Corporation also commenced the haulage of petroleum products from Lagos to the Northern part of the country. More than 30 tankers of diesel was lifted from Ebutte Metta to Kaduna.

Earlier in the year, the Railway Corporation had acquired 20 pressurised tank wagons at the cost of about N600m as it prepared for the commencement of fuel haulage. The 20 wagons have the capacity to lift 900,000 litres of petroleum products, the equivalent of 27 road tankers.

The Lagos-Kano mass transit train left Ebute Meta on Friday and is expected to arrive at the Kano station on Saturday morning.

The train will stop at major stations such as Abeokuta,Ibadan, Osogbo, Ilorin, Minna and Kaduna before it finally arrives its Kano terminal destination on Saturday morning... Culled from Street Journal

5 Likes

Re: Lagos-Kano Passenger & Fuel-Haulage Train Launched by Okijajuju1(m): 5:32pm On Dec 21, 2012
israel007: In one sentence: HOW MANY HOURS FROM LAGOS TO KANO. Until that's answered, its a useless improvement

SEE THEM.... angry

31 Likes

Re: Lagos-Kano Passenger & Fuel-Haulage Train Launched by adamscuti(m): 5:34pm On Dec 21, 2012
That's very,very Nice but they still need to do more.
Ghanains are y'all watching? Better learn from nigerians
Re: Lagos-Kano Passenger & Fuel-Haulage Train Launched by Nobody: 5:34pm On Dec 21, 2012
He said that NRC transported 450,000 litres of diesel on Friday from Lagos to Offa, through the route, to mark its inauguration.

As in, today?
Re: Lagos-Kano Passenger & Fuel-Haulage Train Launched by slimpoppa(m): 5:35pm On Dec 21, 2012
otokx: How many weeks will the train take to reach Kano from Lagos?

At least seven days.
Re: Lagos-Kano Passenger & Fuel-Haulage Train Launched by ekhai(m): 5:37pm On Dec 21, 2012
omenziate:

Chairman, u go like fight pass quarrel. Why u b killjoy like dis na? Shey lapping go dey?
THAT IS HOW YOU PEOPLE WILL KILL THE SYSTEM. PAY TO SUSTAIN THE PROJECT.

1 Like

Re: Lagos-Kano Passenger & Fuel-Haulage Train Launched by takedat(m): 5:37pm On Dec 21, 2012
Maxymilliano:

Better be late in coming than never Bro...

AFTER DECADES of INACTIVITY, Lagos-Kano train services return at just 1,500 Naira only

The Nigerian Railway Corporation on Friday commenced operation of mass transit on the Lagos-Kano route. The Minister of Transport, Senator Idris Umar inaugurated the trains and rode with Kano-bound passengers. The Corporation also commenced the haulage of petroleum products from Lagos to the Northern part of the country. More than 30 tankers of diesel was lifted from Ebutte Metta to Kaduna.

Earlier in the year, the Railway Corporation had acquired 20 pressurised tank wagons at the cost of about N600m as it prepared for the commencement of fuel haulage. The 20 wagons have the capacity to lift 900,000 litres of petroleum products, the equivalent of 27 road tankers.

The Lagos-Kano mass transit train left Ebute Meta on Friday and is expected to arrive at the Kano station on Saturday morning.

The train will stop at major stations such as Abeokuta,Ibadan, Osogbo, Ilorin, Minna and Kaduna before it finally arrives its Kano terminal destination on Saturday morning... Culled from Street Journal
I am gratified, but it seems it will be once a week service to and fro right?
Re: Lagos-Kano Passenger & Fuel-Haulage Train Launched by PapaBrowne(m): 5:40pm On Dec 21, 2012
otokx: How many hours did the train take to reach Offa from Lagos? How many weeks will the train take to reach Kano from Lagos?

How many hours does it take a trailer to move from Offa to Lgaos??
Have you ever travelled on the highway to see the strain these heavy vehicles place on our roads??
Anything to take haulage out of our highways would be good jare even if it takes one week from Offa to Lagos!
Re: Lagos-Kano Passenger & Fuel-Haulage Train Launched by Nobody: 5:41pm On Dec 21, 2012
je ne peux pas monte sur la metro du lagos au kano acause de boko haram.
Re: Lagos-Kano Passenger & Fuel-Haulage Train Launched by brownlord: 5:46pm On Dec 21, 2012
Na today, all this na initial gra gra, na this molue dem won carry person put as train abi, God purnish pdp and good luck

1 Like

Re: Lagos-Kano Passenger & Fuel-Haulage Train Launched by deandavid(m): 5:53pm On Dec 21, 2012
my question, hope its a speed train? If nt, den i smh 4 fgn's level of tinking

1 Like

Re: Lagos-Kano Passenger & Fuel-Haulage Train Launched by ffo(m): 5:55pm On Dec 21, 2012
u r invited

Re: Lagos-Kano Passenger & Fuel-Haulage Train Launched by eldoradoxx: 5:57pm On Dec 21, 2012
Typical Nigerian pessimist
Re: Lagos-Kano Passenger & Fuel-Haulage Train Launched by iseeyou(f): 5:57pm On Dec 21, 2012
Good development.

Re: Lagos-Kano Passenger & Fuel-Haulage Train Launched by Nobody: 5:57pm On Dec 21, 2012
angry but whyy dat yeLL[]w coLor 4 tha train naw?!
haba don Allah..betta coLor no dey ne
Re: Lagos-Kano Passenger & Fuel-Haulage Train Launched by Guapo(m): 6:01pm On Dec 21, 2012
ffo: u r invited
Re: Lagos-Kano Passenger & Fuel-Haulage Train Launched by alaoeri: 6:06pm On Dec 21, 2012
Taking haulage out of our roads a welcome development but hope this won't be as usual government empty promises.
Re: Lagos-Kano Passenger & Fuel-Haulage Train Launched by geekinthelead: 6:07pm On Dec 21, 2012
[img]https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/923580_A-Nigerian-train_jpg973c3be1145bb637d66e28fe64beaf2c[/img]

Platform needs to be raised!... what about accessibility for the disabled?
Re: Lagos-Kano Passenger & Fuel-Haulage Train Launched by otokx(m): 6:09pm On Dec 21, 2012
geekinthelead: [img]https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/923580_A-Nigerian-train_jpg973c3be1145bb637d66e28fe64beaf2c[/img]

Platform needs to be raised!... what about accessibility for the disabled?

won't advice any disabled person to get on board yet cos you never can tell how he will get off in the event of a middle of nowhere all man for himself incident.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos-Kano Passenger & Fuel-Haulage Train Launched by sheedy407(m): 6:10pm On Dec 21, 2012
I confirmed it today with my two koro koro eyes,i was in Agege goin home,i saw a train,i was expecting to see passengers but all i saw was tanks,i counted it,it was 22,so i asked a passerby dat dis is my 1st time of seeing dis,he confirmd to mi dat it was fully loaded with petrol.Dis will reduce trailers on d highway which will reduce bad roads,accidents and traffic.Jonna,goodluck in ur works.

6 Likes

Re: Lagos-Kano Passenger & Fuel-Haulage Train Launched by otokx(m): 6:12pm On Dec 21, 2012
sheedy407: I confirmed it today with my two koro koro eyes,i was in Agege goin home,i saw a train,i was expecting to see passengers but all i saw was tanks,i counted it,it was 22,so i asked a passerby dat dis is my 1st time of seeing dis,he confirmd to mi dat it was fully loaded with petrol.Dis will reduce trailers on d highway which will reduce bad roads,accidents and traffic.Jonna,goodluck in ur works.

first it was diesel, now its petrol, very soon it will be carrying garri, time will tell.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos-Kano Passenger & Fuel-Haulage Train Launched by Techwriter: 6:14pm On Dec 21, 2012
Even though I am neither a fan of Jonathan nor voted for him in the last election, maturity demands that we transcend the ream of politics to aopreciate any move that advances our society which is our collective and ultimate goal.

If this Railway system works well then I would count it another feather to Mr Presidents cap. I also think he has tried in empowering young and upcoming entrepreneurs through Youwin and other programmes. But if he succeeds in fixing our power, he has my next vote.

12 Likes

Re: Lagos-Kano Passenger & Fuel-Haulage Train Launched by Gombs(m): 6:16pm On Dec 21, 2012
Some pple sha!

Thr ws no rails B4,GEJ brought it bck to life,som dim witted folks now saying tis a useless dev because ∂εγ dnt knw hw long it'll be frm lag to kano...evn wen †ђξ fare is 1k5...som said it's old trains n cabins,som said some said some said...∂εγ jst must haf somtin to say so far it hs to wif GEJ

Shameless clowns,GEJ go shame una die...if Jesus no shw B4 2015,I go ∂εγ here ∂εγ remind una as una tk insult GEJ tire

*I will vote him again....

Abeg,am waitin for Lagos to Jos route joor.GEJ...more oil to ΰ٢ yam

14 Likes

Re: Lagos-Kano Passenger & Fuel-Haulage Train Launched by geekinthelead: 6:18pm On Dec 21, 2012
otokx:

first it was diesel, now its petrol, very soon it will be carrying garri, time will tell.

lol.. whatever it is carrying, until I hear plans of how they intend to secure the whole route, I fully expect to hear at least one story of armed robbers ambushing a train and gratefully (not necessarily politely)dispossessing all passengers of both their hard and easy earned cash!... embarassed

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Detained Badeh begs court for bail / Peter Obi Sends New Year Message To Nigerians / Military Alone Can’t Solve Northwest’s Security Crisis — Shettima

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.