Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,061 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:18 AM

Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace (4108 Views)

Osinbajo's Protocol Officers Clash Over Aregbesola's Table At Ooni's Burial / BREAKING NEWS: Bomb Blast Rocks Military Church At Jaji In Kaduna / Gunmen Attack Deeper Life Church At Okene Kogi State, Kill 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by sweetgala(m): 1:47pm On Dec 23, 2012
ndu_chucks:
If your claim that you are royalty is true, I welcome your input with open arms and I say, Kabiyesoi to you. Did you state above that the Ooni is supposed to eat the heart of his father before ascending to the throne? Has this practice been discarded? If Sijuade was denied his father's heart, is he still a legitimate Ooni? Thanks for your courtesy in advance.

I never meant to state that all Nigerians should not be interested and share of our unique belief system. I just don't want it to degrade to a Yoruba this Yoruba that situation.

And to repeat what I said earlier the Ooni is thought to be a lion and king amongst kings and as such when a kind ascends the throne he is feed the heart of the previous king as to say " he eat the heart of a lion and as such has conquered all" my current knowledge is this practice stopped with Adesoji Aderemi. The knowledge of my grandfathers passing was no made known to public and some priests till body was in Lagos because during his life he maintained not partaking in such heart eating rituals.

And to reiterate something said earlier, the post of Ooni requires patience as several requirements are made daily rituals are performed which a king must partake in for his own health.

The olojo festival would be one of those very important ones, several rituals and rites are performed through the course of this ceremony and a certain crown has to be worn and the process does take it's toll on kings who frequently tire of them as did Adesoji Aderemi, members of the family have confidently told me he performed as few as were necessary of the olojo rituals the year he passed, the night he joined his ancestors he was in perfect health was very happy as he had only given my 3 day old sister her name, he drank sherry has he always did in company of my uncle complained of slight migraine before bed and the rest is history. I know many much more of first account fetish rituals as required of the royal house of ife but would not want to reveal all as you may understand.
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by nduchucks: 1:54pm On Dec 23, 2012
^^^^^^@sweet gala, that was quite informative. How did the current Ooni, being a declared Christian, participate in these rituals? Do you have any information to confirm that he actually participated in the rituals? I'm pretty sure that a Christian Ooni will not be able to partake in those daily rituals because they will violate his Christian ideals. If so, why has he not yet been deposed? If on the other hand, you know that he partakes daily in the rituals, then one would have to question his type of Christianity. No?
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by nobaga: 2:05pm On Dec 23, 2012
sweet_gala:

I never meant to state that all Nigerians should not be interested and share of our unique belief system. I just don't want it to degrade to a Yoruba this Yoruba that situation.

And to repeat what I said earlier the Ooni is thought to be a lion and king amongst kings and as such when a kind ascends the throne he is feed the heart of the previous king as to say " he eat the heart of a lion and as such has conquered all" my current knowledge is this practice stopped with Adesoji Aderemi. The knowledge of my grandfathers passing was no made known to public and some priests till body was in Lagos because during his life he maintained not partaking in such heart eating rituals.

And to reiterate something said earlier, the post of Ooni requires patience as several requirements are made daily rituals are performed which a king must partake in for his own health.

The olojo festival would be one of those very important ones, several rituals and rites are performed through the course of this ceremony and a certain crown has to be worn and the process does take it's toll on kings who frequently tire of them as did Adesoji Aderemi, members of the family have confidently told me he performed as few as were necessary of the olojo rituals the year he passed, the night he joined his ancestors he was in perfect health was very happy as he had only given my 3 day old sister her name, he drank sherry has he always did in company of my uncle complained of slight migraine before bed and the rest is history. I know many much more of first account fetish rituals as required of the royal house of ife but would not want to reveal all as you may understand.

Sweet-gala,

Thank you for your forthrightness. What more can we do from inside to take up the suggestion of the author of this article

What we need to do in Africa is clean up our acts. The days Abraham tried to sacrifice his son or Jesus sacrificed are gone. People look for excuse like Okonkwo in Things Fall Apart, to drink wine in Church these days than drink blood and eat flesh of human like Jesus. So, all the sacrileges in Africa religion must stop. Some Oba have even refused to perform rituals for the same reason. Moremi Shrine serves a cleaner ritual than Church.
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by sweetgala(m): 2:35pm On Dec 23, 2012
It is a lot more difficult than you say, an Ooni partakes in the rituals as best he can, it's not uncommon for Yoruba people especially to practice multiple religions.
A xtian Ooni would partake in only the most important rituals that can jeopardise his position his health or peace within his domain and relegate the less important to his chiefs.

Everyday of the week ritual ceremonies are performed in ife, you can understand how daunting that would be for educated men who had large business empires before kingship like Aderemi and Sijuwade.
It is a juggling game of satisfying the priests xtianity for an Ooni is just another religion among the many already practised.
Please don't misunderstand the construction of a church within the Gates of the palace as to mean a king has neglected his traditional duties I happen to know Sijuwade is extremely dedicated to rituals and rites especially to elongate his life, all that rccg is for show and partly because he is educated and wants to show that in his choice of official religion.
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by Tolexander: 2:36pm On Dec 23, 2012
ndu_chucks:

May I ask you the Yoruba words for "god" and "deity"? If you do not know, there is nothing wrong with that.
hello, this is yoruba culture and tradition and not english! olórun(god) is different from irúnmolè(deity). So dont make any confusion here.
God and god are the same?
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by nduchucks: 2:41pm On Dec 23, 2012
Tolexander: hello, this is yoruba culture and tradition and not english! olórun(god) is different from irúnmolè(deity). So dont make any confusion here.
God and god are the same?

Thanks. olorun implies a single being, so that must refer to the Almighty Allah/God. What is the Yoruba word for 'god', the one with small 'g'. There are many gods, but only ONE God/Allah/olórun. If you cannot tell us the yoruba word for 'god', then we should be able to conclude reasonably that it is irúnmolè. No?
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by ezendiigbo1: 2:45pm On Dec 23, 2012
I am sure the yoruba people can see that no igbo has interfered/interrupted the flow of this thread.
I sincerely hope that this gesture will be returned in kind,when igbo matters are being discussed.

1 Like

Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by Nobody: 2:47pm On Dec 23, 2012
ndu_chucks:

Thanks. olorun implies a single being, so that must refer to the Almighty Allah/God. What is the Yoruba word for 'god', the one with small 'g'. There are many gods, but only ONE God/Allah/olórun. If you cannot tell us the yoruba word for 'god', then we should be able to conclude reasonably that it is irúnmolè. No?

god = Orisha
Irunmole = the spirits who go on errands.

Irunmole are the primordial energies – initial energy aspects of Olodumare, if you will – and Orisha are the personification of those energies. (http://orisha-ifa.com/Odu/?p=6)
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by nduchucks: 2:50pm On Dec 23, 2012
9jacrip:

god = Orisha

What is the difference between Orisha and Irunmole? What are the cultural roles of both entities? Thanks in advance.
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by Nobody: 2:59pm On Dec 23, 2012
eze ndi-igbo1:
I am sure the yoruba people can see that no igbo has interfered/interrupted the flow of this thread.
I sincerely hope that this gesture will be returned in kind,when igbo matters are being discussed.

It is shocking sha that in 2013 people are still talking about and promoting shrines and idol worship with it's attendant diabolic implications out in the open.
These people are so backward
Which other people in Nigeria have their youths vast in jujology?
Tufia
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by Tolexander: 3:00pm On Dec 23, 2012
ndu_chucks:

yoruba call them olorun kekere or orisa.
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by Tolexander: 3:01pm On Dec 23, 2012
Baby mama:

It is shocking sha that in 2013 people are still talking about and promoting shrines and idol worship with it's attendant diabolic implications out in the open.
These people are so backward
Tufia
what about okija shrine
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by Nobody: 3:02pm On Dec 23, 2012
Tolexander: what about okija shrine

Obviously they learnt from Ijebuode
Have you heard anyone promoting it?
You lot are just too fetish,you don't even see anything wrong in it
See several threads dedicated to juju on Nairaland and the sad part is that it is all about it's promotion
Young people o
Tufia
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
[size=18pt]Juju is old way,you all need Jesus to set you free,say NO to darkness,light has come[/size]
Scary scary

2 Likes

Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by Tolexander: 3:02pm On Dec 23, 2012
ndu_chucks:

What is the difference between Orisha and Irunmole? What are the cultural roles of both entities? Thanks in advance.
nna! If you want any knowlegde ask politely and stop bein arogant.
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by Nobody: 3:02pm On Dec 23, 2012
Tolexander: what about okija shrine

LMAO! Befitting response.
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by Tolexander: 3:03pm On Dec 23, 2012
9jacrip:

god = Orisha
Irunmole = the spirits who go on errands and a human could morph into this.
you make sense is an understatement
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by Nobody: 3:14pm On Dec 23, 2012
Baby mama:

See several threads dedicated to juju on Nairaland and the sad part is that it is all about it's promotion
Young people o
Tufia
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Scary scary

I do not see how this thread bothers nor burdens you in anyway.
Unlike your history-less/culture-less people, Yoruba long had a religion dedicated to the worship of an 'almighty' with its own dedicated way of worship, so if that to you is 'fetish', then kindly remain and bask in your 'slavotocracy' of the true (imported) religions sharp guys are using as a medium to exploit and despoil you and many Africans off your hard earned money.
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by Tolexander: 3:26pm On Dec 23, 2012
[quote author=Baby mama]
[color=#990000]
Young people o
Tufia
we all know how okija shook nigeria when it was discovered even top men in nigeria were indicted visiting the shrine, yet it wasn't promoted.
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by nduchucks: 3:27pm On Dec 23, 2012
Tolexander: nna! If you want any knowlegde ask politely and stop bein arogant.

This was my question: "What is the difference between Orisha and Irunmole? What are the cultural roles of both entities? Thanks in advance."

How is this impolite or arrogant? I implore those who can answer my question to do so. There is nothing shameful about cultural history.

@9jacrip, is the morphing phenomenon you mentioned still valid today and do people still morph into Irunmole? If this still takes place that would be incredible! shocked

Africans do not use their gifts to the fullest. I state here, without any reservations, that I will become a Ifa worshiper or join these Irunmoles if they can morph into beings which can make our corrupt politicians disappear one by one. embarassed
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by sweetgala(m): 4:14pm On Dec 23, 2012
The day African politicians are sworn into office by an ifa priest would Mark the start to the end of corruption in Nigeria.
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by Gentlesoul1(m): 5:58pm On Dec 23, 2012
@9ijacrip pls send a copy to ♏ε̲̣̣̣̥ @ Omoniyi_joe21@yahoo.com
Thanks
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by Nobody: 6:04pm On Dec 23, 2012
ndu_chucks:

This was my question: "What is the difference between Orisha and Irunmole? What are the cultural roles of both entities? Thanks in advance."

How is this impolite or arrogant? I implore those who can answer my question to do so. There is nothing shameful about cultural history.

@9jacrip, is the morphing phenomenon you mentioned still valid today and do people still morph into Irunmole? If this still takes place that would be incredible! shocked

Africans do not use their gifts to the fullest. I state here, without any reservations, that I will become a Ifa worshiper or join these Irunmoles if they can morph into beings which can make our corrupt politicians disappear one by one. embarassed

I think I tried to answer the Q regarding Irunmole nd Orisha? The cultural roles could be explained in form of hierarchical arrangement: The Almighty GOD » Orisha(s) » Irunmole. Some people often mix Orisha/Irunmole to mean the same things/people while to some they're different entities? I'm trying to share the little I know except I call home to ask but that might send some weird signals cheesy

Just like in Masonry, you start from being an apprentice and climb to the 33rd degree of a worshipful master, same is relate-able to Yoruba belief system, you subscribe to an Orisha(god) that interests you or by inheritance. Then you develop as you learn/practicalize things - you attain the irunmole status when you've absorbed virtually all of it and become extremely knowledgeable at it - for example, Chief Priests of Orishas are as good as Irunmole, Ooni is another example of Irunmole - just sharing my tid-bits and hope you get to catch my drift.

If only Africans would 'come back home' to these 'resources' at their disposal - I know quite a handful of professors/top-notch people who are subscribers to Yoruba belief system (and I don't mean occult).
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by nduchucks: 6:12pm On Dec 23, 2012
9jacrip:

I think I tried to answer the Q regarding Irunmole nd Orisha? The cultural roles could be explained in form of hierarchical arrangement: The Almighty GOD » Orisha(s) » Irunmole. Some people often mix Orisha/Irunmole to mean the same things/people while to some they're different entities? I'm trying to share the little I know except I call home to ask but that might send some weird signals cheesy

Just like in Masonry, you start from being an apprentice and climb to the 33rd degree of a worshipful master, same is relate-able to Yoruba belief system, you subscribe to an Orisha(god) that interests you or by inheritance. Then you develop as you learn/practicalize things - you attain the irunmole status when you've absorbed virtually all of it and become extremely knowledgeable at it - for example, Chief Priests of Orishas are as good as Irunmole, Ooni is another example of Irunmole - just sharing my tid-bits and hope you get to catch my drift.

If only Africans would 'come back home' to these 'resources' at their disposal - I know quite a handful of professors/top-notch people who are subscribers to Yoruba belief system (and I don't mean occult).

You are yet to tell me whether the morphing thingy ever existed in practical terms or still exist. Please shed more light on this issue.

In the meantime send me your paper to this address nduchucks00@gmail.com

For now, I remain skeptical about people being able to morph into Irunmole just as I believe that witches cannot fly, until I am proved wrong.

BTW, why are people like Katsumoto and DuduNegro awol from this thread?
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by Nobody: 7:24pm On Dec 23, 2012
ndu_chucks:

You are yet to tell me whether the morphing thingy ever existed in practical terms or still exist. Please shed more light on this issue.

In the meantime send me your paper to this address nduchucks00@gmail.com

For now, I remain skeptical about people being able to morph into Irunmole just as I believe that witches cannot fly, until I am proved wrong.

BTW, why are people like Katsumoto and DuduNegro awol from this thread?

The morphing thing to my own knowledge is about attaining mastery of what you're devoted to - and yes it still exists, I've cited example of Chief-priests and even Ooni himself - and not that you lose the human form and evolve into something weird though I've heard stories of human morphing into inhuman objects and are still being worshipped till today. I'm not so knowledgeable about this and I might have to find time to make calls to seek better understanding.

Disclaimer: The paper is not about Irunmole/Eledumare/Orisa etc, it is about Moremi's achievement and her place in history etc
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by nobaga: 7:51pm On Dec 23, 2012
9jarip,

If you are trying to educate those that are interested fine, we are learning from all the contributions. Chucks will never be satisfied, he is just looking for holes and faults to make fun of. Go on educating him as long as you understand it is for the benefit of others.

9jacrip:

The morphing thing to my own knowledge is about attaining mastery of what you're devoted to - and yes it still exists, I've cited example of Chief-priests and even Ooni himself - and not that you lose the human form and evolve into something weird though I've heard stories of human morphing into inhuman objects and are still being worshipped till today. I'm not so knowledgeable about this and I might have to find time to make calls to seek better understanding.

Disclaimer: The paper is not about Irunmole/Eledumare/Orisa etc, it is about Moremi's achievement and her place in history etc
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by nobaga: 7:11pm On Dec 24, 2012
Whatever was said, may Orunmila bless you too.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jonathan Abandons The Ibos - Backs Adekunle And The Yorubas / Unconfirmed: Soldiers On Rampage In Ogoni After Militants Killed Some Soldiers / Is The geographical "NORTH" More Populated Than The geographical "SOUTH"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.