Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,811 members, 7,813,670 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:01 PM

Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? - Religion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? (20639 Views)

TEN QUESTIONS That Christians Can Never Answer / How Many Christians Can Boldly Say This..? / Christians: Can a Non-Christian Go to Heaven? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Rich4god(m): 12:44pm On Dec 26, 2012
You are a copper, so why dont you tell your PPA/LG to place you on duty on 25th since you are not part of the pagan celebration.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by ijawkid(m): 12:47pm On Dec 26, 2012
true2god: U didnt watch the olympic u only saw clips or highlights on cnn and supersports. The highlight u watched on supersports is not an olympic event abi. I bet u, the highlight u watched on supersports can take 3 to 4 hrs of ur time. so dnt be econimical with the truth, u watched and followed the olympic events to the fullest and i knw u knw osain bolt of jamaica and u watched him run.

Did osain bolt or any other athlete worship any idol at the olympics. Of course we knw the history of the event in greece but this modern era has given the event another meaning devoid of its pagan origin.

While im not an advocate of subtutitive religion, the fact remains dat the pagan origin of the olympics has long lost its significance. The pagan origin of sundays had lost its significance, the pagan origin of xmas had lost its significance, the pagan origin of exchangin wedding rings had lost its significant. No one is offerin a sacrifice to any idol in any of these events. Its rather a time of joy and celebration.

I dnt knw if u r gerring my points. I can have a 1000 and 1 reasons to condemn anything i dnt like. There is always a point to justify an action while might seem logical to an average person. Thats the power of human reasoning.

Shhhh.........comparing olympics shown on a news channel like CNN and xmas which you engage in personally are 2 different things my bro.......you can't compare them.......everybody knws usain bolt...he's a celebrity.......even here on nairaland the news came up that usain bolt is the fastest man on earth....I don't engage in the olympics neither do I take sides with any of those engaging in it....direct your questions to the right persons............direct your questions to proffesed christians who are participants of the olympics.....I'm here battling with you guys because you are participants of the xmas celebration.......if you weren't I wouldn't bother anybody......

Xmas has been glued to Jesus Christ and its wrong..if you can't accept that truth but rather look for grounds to make it lOok good wont change the fact that Jesus wasn't born on dec 25th and that xmas is a fraud and a lie.............

You sure are engaging in the same exact practices the sun God worshippers carried out.....you erect xmas trees in your homes,you exchange gifts like you'll do today,you take ya kids to santa claus,many around the world celebrating xmas would indulge in debauchery etc........you still do the same things as did the pagans............nothing different.....
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Rich4god(m): 12:47pm On Dec 26, 2012
ijawkid:

Lol....so I should run away from my TV when sports update comes on ??...........you should know CNN and super sports would show anything NEWS......and I watch all........direct your questions to those who engage in the olympics or take sides, not me.............
Ofcourse... From what you have been teaching here, once sport update come up, you either turn off your TV or run away since watching it makes you a pagan worshipper.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by ijawkid(m): 12:49pm On Dec 26, 2012
Rich4god: You are a copper, so why dont you tell your PPA/LG to place you on duty on 25th since you are not part of the pagan celebration.

If the school I was posted to teach would be open on xmas day I'll teach which ever student comes.....................
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by true2god: 12:50pm On Dec 26, 2012
ijawkid:

I'm a CORPER.......grin......
U be otondo for watching 'only' the highlight. So all the athletes that participated in the olympic are all worshiping idol cos of the origin of the olympic? If u dey watch the 'highlight' with passion and interest r u not a participant? I am sure u may even participate in the next olympic if u given the opportunity or sent as a delegate to rio dejaniero 2016.

Wont u go if u hav the oportunity?
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by ijawkid(m): 12:52pm On Dec 26, 2012
Rich4god:
Ofcourse... From what you have been teaching here, once sport update come up, you either turn off your TV or run away since watching it makes you a pagan worshipper.

Did I engage in the olympics or support a participant??......do I have anything to do with olympics??.........its like telling me to close my eyes and ears while walking on the road because christmas celebrants are all over the place merrying??........I am no participant or a supporter of the olympics....direct these questions you are asking to the right people....
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Rich4god(m): 12:52pm On Dec 26, 2012
ijawkid:

You are asking the same question zikky asked.........and answer has been given.........this thread was opened to expose christmas as a myth and also pagan.........and you should by now be able to answer your question..........stop asking me questions you already have answers to.......smh!!!....
From the response you gave to zikky, your answer to my question is yes... i am an idol worsipper.
No, there are some sundays that i repeat such things that i mention in my question to you. Does doing that on a normal sunday makes me an idol worshipper?
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by ijawkid(m): 12:54pm On Dec 26, 2012
true2god: U be otondo for watching 'only' the highlight. So all the athletes that participated in the olympic are all worshiping idol cos of the origin of the olympic? If u dey watch the 'highlight' with passion and interest r u not a participant? I am sure u may even participate in the next olympic if u given the opportunity or sent as a delegate to rio dejaniero 2016.

Wont u go if u hav the oportunity?

I don't watch the highlight with passion.......and I won't engage in the olympics because I know its origin.....you err big time if you think I would even think of going for an olympics even if I had the opportunity....like I said earlier your questions don't apply to me..........and again the athletes who engage in the olympics should use the scriptures to answer if they are pagans for engaging in the games..........
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Rich4god(m): 12:56pm On Dec 26, 2012
ijawkid:

Did I engage in the olympics or support a participant??......do I have anything to do with olympics??.........its like telling me to close my eyes and ears while walking on the road because christmas celebrants are all over the place merrying??........I am no participant or a supporter of the olympics....direct these questions you are asking to the right people....
Good... Did the xmas celebrant engage in making sacrifice to idols?.... Did they go to church and start singing "we hail the sun our god"?... Did they visit any shrine to worship any idol? Or the gift in which they pass out to their loved ones and the less privilege, was it given to them bhy the priest of a shrine?... Plz answer me.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by ijawkid(m): 12:57pm On Dec 26, 2012
Rich4god:
From the response you gave to zikky, your answer to my question is yes... i am an idol worsipper.
No, there are some sundays that i repeat such things that i mention in my question to you. Does doing that on a normal sunday makes me an idol worshipper?

Days mean nothing to me,,,....everyday is what matters bro.....oh except for the commemoration of Christs death which he instituted......

My answer to zikky was to the fact that xmas is wrong and also its celebrants are wrong.....if you want to hear the same for the olympics I'm ready to give you an answer......if the olympics is pagan then the olympics and its participants are erring too......I no go hide mouth....

1 Like

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by true2god: 12:58pm On Dec 26, 2012
ijawkid:

I don't watch the highlight with passion.......and I won't engage in the olympics because I know its origin.....you err big time if you think I would even think of going for an olympics even if I had the opportunity....like I said earlier your questions don't apply to me..........and again the athletes who engage in the olympics should use the scriptures to answer if they are pagans for engaging in the games..........
Later na my good friend ijawkid, hope u will become an ijawman after ur service. Happy service yr.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by ijawkid(m): 1:01pm On Dec 26, 2012
Rich4god:
Good... Did the xmas celebrant engage in making sacrifice to idols?.... Did they go to church and start singing "we hail the sun our god"?... Did they visit any shrine to worship any idol? Or the gift in which they pass out to their loved ones and the less privilege, was it given to them bhy the priest of a shrine?... Plz answer me.

The xmas celebrants engage fully in the customs of the pagan worshippers......why??because that's its origin...............I mentioned the use of xmas tree and also santa claus....you ran away from that and now you are saying something different..........besides the date dec 25th is false..........its pagan.........so xmas is fully immersed in paganism...I don't knw how you want to wriggle your way out of this.....

I am not a participant of the olympics neither do I support it......if you can say the above like I did of xmas then we'll end this argument
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by ijawkid(m): 1:02pm On Dec 26, 2012
true2god: Later na my good friend ijawkid, hope u will become an ijawman after ur service. Happy service yr.

Lol....grin..thanks bro........I'll grow to be an ijaw man........how today na??........
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Rich4god(m): 1:03pm On Dec 26, 2012
ijawkid:

If the school I was posted to teach would be open on xmas day I'll teach which ever student comes.....................
You should have gone to the classroom/staff room and keep forming your notes. Shouldnt have stayed at home on 25th.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Rich4god(m): 1:12pm On Dec 26, 2012
ijawkid:

The xmas celebrants engage fully in the customs of the pagan worshippers......why??because that's its origin...............I mentioned the use of xmas tree and also santa claus....you ran away from that and now you are saying something different..........besides the date dec 25th is false..........its pagan.........so xmas is fully immersed in paganism...I don't knw how you want to wriggle your way out of this.....

I am not a participant of the olympics neither do I support it......if you can say the above like I did of xmas then we'll end this argument
How does my xmas tree have any thing to do with a pagan. If a pagan eats rice and i myself eats rice, does that make me an idol worshipper. You should stop attributing things to pagans just because the started doing it first before christians started. More over, pagans where on earth before christ came in so i guess pagans started doing what basically everyone is doing here on earth. And again, just like someone said earlier. Sunday is the day of sun worship, but christians worship God on sunday. So from your reasoning it can be said that christians that goes to church on sunday are idol worshippers.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by ijawkid(m): 1:21pm On Dec 26, 2012
Rich4god:
You should have gone to the classroom/staff room and keep forming your notes. Shouldnt have stayed at home on 25th.

The school is locked....abi make I break enter like thief??...besides I'll be passing out on february,so no more teaching again....**dancing azonto**...grin
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by ijawkid(m): 1:27pm On Dec 26, 2012
Rich4god:
How does my xmas tree have any thing to do with a pagan. If a pagan eats rice and i myself eats rice, does that make me an idol worshipper. You should stop attributing things to pagans just because the started doing it first before christians started. More over, pagans where on earth before christ came in so i guess pagans started doing what basically everyone is doing here on earth. And again, just like someone said earlier. Sunday is the day of sun worship, but christians worship God on sunday. So from your reasoning it can be said that christians that goes to church on sunday are idol worshippers.

Only pagans use trees in celebrating the birthday of there Gods......I thought you had read serrialinks excerpt taken even from the scriptures that shows how pagan the use of the xmas tree is.........go to google and enter ""origin of xmas tree" and edify yourself...............we can't be moving in circles......and mind you i serve God every day and preach almost everyday.....the day ""SUNDAY"" means nothing to me.......I have never attached importance to any day..not even my birthday.......its those who feel sunday is for worship that you should be asking the sunday sunday questions...grin.......

Point:::....don't let pagans set the pattern of worship for you........that is why God seperated the isrealites from the other nations....he wanted them to be completely seperate from the pagan nations around them.....again Jesus reiterated that ""we should be no part of the world""......let's heed to that command rather than chasing after pagan festivals and squeezing Jesus into it..............

2 Likes

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by plappville(f): 1:33pm On Dec 26, 2012
alexleo:

Pagans cannot celebrate chirst. You are just dancing around the question he asked you. I didnt know you are such a skillful dancer.

Are you joking? Christmas is Pagan celebration for Christ, this is plain and clear. you cannot change it. The church decided to rub Christ with this. All activities and aim are for the glory of SATAN the original god of YULE (Christmas) till today, Some Pagans still continue with the ancient way of doing it. Nothing has changed execpt the name Christmas.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Nobody: 1:42pm On Dec 26, 2012
Rich4god:

True, a lot of things were done first by pagans - our sec- minute-hour time system, our modern date system, perhaps some of our dressing,etc. These things are non-religious in nature and the pagans did not do them as a form of worship to their gods. And a universally accepted time and date system is a requirement for modern interactions.

The non-working days of Saturday and Sunday are convenient for Christians to expend time in worship be it studying the bible or evangelism. If the govt moves the non-working days to Tue and Wed, real christians who attach nothing special to Sundays will switch without any issues.

It's different when you adopt a pagan celebration for their gods including the date devoted by the pagans to such and the practices usually performed during that date and supposedly "christianize" - it stays pagan irrespective of the name change. And some pagans still celebrate it as is.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Rich4god(m): 1:44pm On Dec 26, 2012
All this things you are just saying is just assumpton. As long as i am concerned, i didnt see where the scripture said we should not celebrate xmas/ or that celebrating is a sin. I let me tell you. That pagans used or did something in the past does not make me a sinner when i do it. Soif you think its a sin, good for you and refrain from it cos its what you believe.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by plappville(f): 1:48pm On Dec 26, 2012
YOU PEOPLE SHOULD STOP DIVERTING THE THREAD, @true2god, open a new thread for ur extended subjects. like you did to the thread of @pastormustwack thread. Adding nothing meaningful. Plz This thread is about Christmas not trouser,olympic etc etc....plz

None has been able to provide a Scripture to refute the ones that treated birthday. You all defend without Scripture.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 1:48pm On Dec 26, 2012
Rich4god:
How does my xmas tree have any thing to do with a pagan. If a pagan eats rice and i myself eats rice, does that make me an idol worshipper. You should stop attributing things to pagans just because the started doing it first before christians started.

The pagans were not really the first to start. If you go with the 'origin' argument, all practices started from or have It's origin in Cain and Abel. So pagans has its origin,in God worship. Maybe that's enough to say that there is nothing like paganism.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by plappville(f): 1:53pm On Dec 26, 2012
plappville: The world most celebrated feast is around the corner, everyone is preparing, houses are decorated, schools and offices, people wear Christmas hats,
Gifs from left and right, Children presurising parents for toys, The market is crowded with so much items and people,
So much advertisement in the TV on Christmas, firdge filled up with much alcohol, Special meal are cook on this great day [size=14pt]25th[/size]etc..etc.

But come to think of it, are true Christian ever sat down and ask themselve why Christmas has been this important to the entire world?

No one will eat a food that he/she does not know where it comes from or what ingredients used in cooking that food.
Likewise, Christians that celebrate Christmas would as well want to know the source and root of this world wide great feast.

It may be that it is rooted from the Scripture or that the Apostles or Jesus Mother instructed it? well, only the Scripture can speak for us.
So, i had like Christians that celebrate Christmas to please tell us if they have a knowledge of what they celebrate, or if they
celebrate it without knowing what it means.

So few questions for you:

When was the earliest december 25 (christmas day) marked?

When was it officially made a civic Holiday in the Roman Empire?

Was this before Jesus birth or after?

Did the Apostle or Jesus Mother celebrated it?

You can get your answers from the Scripture or the Catholic Encyclopedia, 1911 edition.

Notes: Ancient Christmas pictures can be posted by anyone. Have fun as we discover Christmas.

How many of you have answered these questions? stop beating the drum.....just give answer from Scripture that rightfully answer these simple questions. I no want *yes▲ or no▼* plz!
Thank you.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by plappville(f): 2:29pm On Dec 26, 2012
Why was Birthday not recorded with God's servants in the Bible if it pleases God for them to mark thier birthday?

In refuting the misinterpretation of Matthew 2:1, 11: Jesus did not recieve birthday Gifts but recieved Gifts as a KING.

Origin of Birthdays

where did birthday celebrations come from? The astonishing answer is from the pagan practice of astrology! Thousands of years ago, when men looked up into the night sky and charted the stars, they invented calendars and calculated the birth dates, to the very hour, of kings, rulers and their successors. These ancient pagan astrologers meticulously examined horoscopes and birthday omens because they believed that the fate of the rich and powerful might affect an entire society. Even to this day, men have been putting their trust in horoscopes instead of God.

In ancient Egypt, the pharaohs ordered businesses to close on their birthdays and gave enormous feasts for hundreds of servants. In ancient Greece, wealthy males joined birthday clubs composed exclusively of men who shared their birth date. Once a month, the club celebrated with a feast. When a member died, he left money to help pay for future parties. In Persia, noblemen observed their birthdays by barbecuing an ox, a camel and a donkey and serving hundreds of small cakes to the celebrants.

In ancient Rome, the emperor gave huge parties in honor of his own birthday, which included parades, circuses, and gladiatorial combat. The celebration of days was so important to the average Roman citizen that the Roman calendar designated a majority of days for some form of celebration—including many birthdays of gods and famous men.

[center]The Roman calendar, with its emphasis on continual celebration, has had great influence on modern society. Consider the following quote about the origin of the Roman calendar:[/center]

“Our [Roman] calendar is not Christian in origin. It descends directly from the Egyptians, who originated the 12 month year, 365 day system. A pagan Egyptian scientist, Sosigenes, suggested this plan to the pagan Emperor Julius Caesar, who directed that it go into effect throughout the Roman Empire in 45 B.C. As adopted it indicated its pagan origin by the names of the months—called after Janus, Maia, Juno, etc. The days were not named but numbered on a complicated system involving Ides, Nones, and Calends. It was not until 321 A.D. that the seven-day week feature was added, when the Emperor Constantine (supposedly) adopted Christianity. Oddly enough for his weekdays he chose pagan names which are still used” (Journal of Calendar Reform, Sept. 1953, p. 128).

Continues.....
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by plappville(f): 2:38pm On Dec 26, 2012
Modern birthday parties and celebrations by children take their form mainly from Germany, where the birthday child received gifts, chose a menu, and received a candle-ringed butter or jam cake. The book The Lore of Birthdays, by Ralph and Adelin Linton, gives a brief look at the history of birthday celebrations:

“The Greeks believed that everyone had a protective spirit or daemon who attended his birth and watched over him in life.
This spirit had a mystic relation with the god on whose birthday the individual was born.”

The book continues: “The Romans also subscribed to this idea…This notion was carried down in human belief and is reflected in the guardian angel, the fairy godmother and the patron saint…The custom of lighted candles on the cakes started with the Greeks…honey cakes round as the moon and lit with tapers were placed on the temple altars of [the god Artemis]…Birthday candles, in folk belief, are endowed with special magic for granting wishes…Lighted tapers and sacrificial fires have had a special mystic significance ever since man first set up altars to his gods. The birthday candles are thus an honor and tribute to the birthday child and bring good fortune.”

Saying “happy birthday” to friends and loved ones was society’s superstitious way of protecting them from evil spirits. Birthday thumps, bumps, pinches, etc., were said to bring luck and send away evil spirits. Party snappers, horns and other noisemakers were also intended to scare off bad-luck spirits.

It should now be clear that birthdays are not only unbiblical, they are pagan! therefore Christ birth has nothing to do with this Pagan practice.

Continues.........;
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by plappville(f): 2:49pm On Dec 26, 2012
Why does God care whether or not you celebrate birthdays? After all, it is a chance for you to
give presents to someone and make him or her feel good. What could be wrong with this?

Here is what God commands:
“Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven, for the heathen are dismayed by them. For the customs of the people are vain” (Jer. 10:2, 3).

After God freed Israel from slavery, He clearly instructed them: (Lev. 18:3) “After the doings of the land of Egypt, wherein you dwelt, shall you not do: and after the doings of the land of Canaan, where I bring you, shall you not do: neither shall you walk in their ordinances” .

God commanded that they not defile themselves with the practices and customs of the surrounding nations (lev 18:24-30)
“Therefore shall you keep My ordinance, that you commit not any one of these abominable customs, which were committed before you, and that you defile not yourselves therein: I am the LORD your God”

This is an emphatic command from God. He does not want His servants dabbling in the customs of this world.
Scriptures has proven that God hates all pagan customs and traditions—birthday celebrations are not an exception!

Thread continues on Christmas...
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by truthislight: 2:54pm On Dec 26, 2012
Zikkyy:

You are the one telling us that Christ commanded that we should not celebrate his birth, we don't find that in the scripture. so how can you say am adding to Christ command when we don't have the full details of his command?

but you decided to complete it by adding Chrismas/birth day celebration.

Are you right in doing that.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by plappville(f): 2:54pm On Dec 26, 2012
Rich4god: All this things you are just saying is just assumpton. As long as i am concerned, i didnt see where the scripture said we should not celebrate xmas/ or that celebrating is a sin. I let me tell you. That pagans used or did something in the past does not make me a sinner when i do it. Soif you think its a sin, good for you and refrain from it cos its what you believe.

Which/what example are you following as per celebrating Christmas?
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by plappville(f): 2:58pm On Dec 26, 2012
Rich4god:

This is childish, its a world wide holiday and you expect Him to do magic? He stayed at home not partaking in what the Holiday is the best thing He has done.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by plendil: 3:02pm On Dec 26, 2012
Ah, the circular logic 101.

Nowhere in the Bible are instructed to celebrate Christmas. But nowhere are we instructed not to.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by plappville(f): 3:05pm On Dec 26, 2012
eddy spice: matthew 11:25 we can either think like a babe to gain d mind of christ or a proud critic who wants the way things are.pls leave them alone to do whats pleasing in thier eyes.they r physically incline

You re right, The truth should stop coming because some fellows refused to open thier minds to accept it.
Trust me, it will help others with open minds..So lets keep them coming.

Thanks!
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by plappville(f): 3:09pm On Dec 26, 2012
plendil: Ah, the circular logic 101.

Nowhere in the Bible are instructed to celebrate Christmas. But nowhere are we instructed not to.

Good logic grin.....OK!
Does the scripture records Birthday occasions or not? If yes, who are they that Celebrated thier birthday according to Scripture and what happened at the parties?

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (29) (Reply)

The Uncontrollable Spread Of Sexual Lust / We Can't Celebrate Jesus Enough- Abdulrazaq Hamzat / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: 'Money Doesn't Give Joy' - (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.