Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,001 members, 7,825,101 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:48 AM

My Parent Rejected My Spouse - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Parent Rejected My Spouse (1828 Views)

Living Without My Spouse For 6 Months (At Least) / My Spouse Came To Embarrass Me At My Working Place / Do I Have To Confess My Adultery To My Spouse? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Parent Rejected My Spouse by choicehome(f): 3:56pm On Feb 20, 2008
MY PARENT REJECTED MY SPOUSE[left][/left][color=#000099][/color]

Will you marry a physically disabled person you are in love with, even when your parent rejects him/her.

How will you handle the situation? shocked

laura@choicehome-ng.org
Re: My Parent Rejected My Spouse by almondjoy(f): 6:46am On Feb 21, 2008
I would. . . . . if I loved him enough.  I will explain to ma parents how I feel and try to make them see with me.  If they refuse. . . . . .I will definitely go ahead.  I really understand their concerns, but it is ma life and happiness, not theirs.  If they loved and cared for me like they should, they would support me as such. I really do no appreciate anyone trying to tell me how to live it, including parents.

Bottom line, I would listen to their concern, but will go ahead and marry my heart's desire.  I make the final decisions.  They may choose to support me or not, their choice.  No hard feelings! kiss
Re: My Parent Rejected My Spouse by chychy(f): 8:52am On Feb 21, 2008
@ almondjoy, that's impressive and quite 2 d point but don't u think ur folks' blessing is tres important?

But then again, like i always will quote Pastor Bimbo, pray about it and love will definately prevail.
[color=#770077][/color]
Re: My Parent Rejected My Spouse by omena555(f): 8:57am On Feb 21, 2008
choicehome:

Will you marry a physically disabled person you are in love with, even when your parent rejects him/her.

the most important thing is - do i love him? if i am already in love with him, then yes i can marry him. as for my parents, they have promised to accept whoever i want, so they have to keep their promise which i believe they will if they see that i truelly love this person.
Re: My Parent Rejected My Spouse by almondjoy(f): 10:13am On Feb 21, 2008
chychy:

@ almondjoy, that's impressive and quite to the point but don't u think your folks' blessing is tres important?

But then again, like i always will quote Pastor Bimbo, pray about it and love will definately prevail.
[color=#770077][/color]

Yes, my parents blessings are important and I will try to win them over. It is important I get their blessings but not at the expense of my happiness. They are living their lives and I would like a chance to live mine.  If they force me to choose, then I will! kiss It is a chance I am willing to take. The mistake and regret will be mine and mine alone.
Re: My Parent Rejected My Spouse by Nobody: 11:59pm On Feb 21, 2008
if u respect ur parents then u must not go ahead with that marriage withouht their consent and im not saying u shoukd end the relationship with the person u love.

u'd need to talk to ur parents. i dont care how long, or how hard its going to take to convince them. u must not marry anyone even Jesus without ur parents consent.
Re: My Parent Rejected My Spouse by olanajim(m): 12:47am On Feb 22, 2008
Is that a new law or an hidden one, OMO IBO?

@poster,
what is the level of disability of your spouse? Is he crippled, lame, deaf, blind, dumb or mentally deranged? What reason did your parents gave for the rejection?

A man has neither arms nor legs, and he is doing fine. Doing what some men with all arms and legs can't do. Another, whom I have studied was born without two arms. John foppe, by name. He draws perfectly with is legs. Can open can of coca cola and drink it unaided with his toes. He went to college and made his fortune while still a student. He married a very beautiful wife and both had been enjoying since. Yet, a lady was born blind and deaf and live up to 85 year before she dead.

My point is simple: disables are sometimes misunderstood to be useless people, but some of them are rare gem compared to able body men. If your man has overcame his disability and had shown he is fit. Then try AJ suggestion. Try convince your parents on why you are choosing him.
Re: My Parent Rejected My Spouse by Nicesoul(m): 10:49am On Feb 25, 2008
@choicehome

What a good topic here, it has to do with you as individual i.e. if you truely love and have feelings for him/her. Your parents' prayer too is very important but there is need to let them understand that you have the authority to choose whoever you want to marry. Convince them and prove to them how much you love him/her and i'm sure they will understand with you.
Re: My Parent Rejected My Spouse by madamkoko: 5:21am On Mar 05, 2008
So here is my story. I met this CRAZY NAIJA guy at work, in fact, he was one of my clients. The next thing I know sha, we started yarning, Anyways to cut the long story short, we ended up dating. Funny thing is that thru out our entire dating expereince, he never claimed me as a girlfriend to his friends or family members.

My birthday, he didn't buy me anything,
He never wants to meet my parents or any of my family members
One time, he claimed to go to London for a week and didn't even call me that entire week
Valentine's day, nothing,
Another time, went to Niger for two weeks didn't even call,

These things led me to figure out that he was cheating, so I checked his cell phone and no surprise there, it was info on where these other women should meet him,

I hate this man but
, he can eat me really well,

He's a very good liar and I believe he might be an olodu, he though he has a legit job where he makes about 80 grand, (i'm a professional too, so money is not my issue) There's always one excuse after the other, mind you, the man is ugly, and old, but he can eat me reeeeallllly well, he also can't really perform sexually, but can eat me like no one else does.

I seem to like him a lot, everyone in my family HATES him, but I don't know what to do, I'm very confused.
Re: My Parent Rejected My Spouse by chychy(f): 1:23pm On Mar 07, 2008
@ madamkoko, u r here again?
i just saw this post somewhere else.

@ original poster, choicehome,
talk 2 ur parents, i agree with what omoibo said.
and above all, pray.

the thing is i also do agree with almondjoy, but pls try all u can 2 get ur parents' consent.
Re: My Parent Rejected My Spouse by bawomolo(m): 7:14pm On Mar 07, 2008
your parents have no right to choose ur spouse. you are an adult, do what's best for u.
Re: My Parent Rejected My Spouse by Nobody: 11:22pm On Mar 07, 2008
what shallow parents!
I wonder how dad would feel if mom left him after an unforseen illness
Re: My Parent Rejected My Spouse by Nobody: 11:34pm On Mar 07, 2008
choicehome:

MY PARENT REJECTED MY SPOUSE[left][/left][color=#000099][/color]

How will you handle the situation? shocked

laura@choicehome-ng.org

Yes I sure will.
I believe in getting parents consent and thank God I do
but there comes a point that one has to stand up for oneself.
almond said it all.
If this guy is nice,compassionate,loves you and treats you well and you love him too and has looked beyond his disability to love him for him,I believe you should let your parents know how you feel ,get a relative who's on your side to speak with your parents,if they refuse to see your point and all they have against him is a disability which can happen to any one of us,I believe you should go ahead and tie the knot
Let the chips fall where they may!
Re: My Parent Rejected My Spouse by chychy(f): 10:01am On Mar 10, 2008
Right on nwando

if the only condition is his disability.
Re: My Parent Rejected My Spouse by uosifo: 2:26pm On Mar 14, 2008
Marriage is a serious business. If i am in love with someone and my parents dislike the person because he or she is disabled. I will go ahead and marry that person because my parent are carnally minded. What of if the disabled person happens to be their child, will they be happy if he or she was rejected.
Re: My Parent Rejected My Spouse by Scopium: 2:53pm On Mar 14, 2008
bawomolo:

your parents have no right to choose your spouse. you are an adult, do what's best for u.

[size=13pt]Yeah right, may be they don't even have a right to be called your parents eventhough they are. They don't have any right to raise you properly to think well, they should have used you to fight for the legalization of abortion. Where was your right when your thinking was still in your left? Your parents have a right to what's good for you even when your opinion differ from theirs. Nobody knows it all. The DNA of humans can boast of the flaw of imperfection[/size]
Re: My Parent Rejected My Spouse by SweetT1: 5:52pm On Mar 14, 2008
A typical African family love story. 85% selfishness, 15% true intentions.
Re: My Parent Rejected My Spouse by TOYOSI20(f): 10:19pm On Mar 14, 2008
bawomolo:

your parents have no right to choose your spouse. you are an adult, do what's best for u.

Precisely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cool
Re: My Parent Rejected My Spouse by uosifo: 11:47am On Mar 17, 2008
Prayer is the answer to everything on earth.   In whatever you do here on  earth can only succeed through prayers.  If you are in love with someone your parents disapproved of.  First of all, ask them why, and them present it to God in prayer if their reasons is not strong enough. cool cool
Re: My Parent Rejected My Spouse by Busta(f): 1:57pm On Mar 17, 2008
@poster,

is it your parents that will live with him?

Do u and be happy!

(1) (Reply)

My Husband Does Not Want Me To Have An Friend / Is It Ideal For Married Couple To Attend Night Club??? / Is It Ever Ok To Get In Touch With Your Ex

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.