Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,316 members, 7,826,260 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:54 AM

Chinua Achebe: A Biafran In Nigerian Clothes - By Muhammad Jameel Yusha’u - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chinua Achebe: A Biafran In Nigerian Clothes - By Muhammad Jameel Yusha’u (3644 Views)

Buhari: Nwabueze’s Troubled Soul By Muhammad Al-ghazali / On President Buhari’s Latest Appointment By Muhammad Malumfashi / We Will Give Achebe A Befitting Burial - Southeast Governors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinua Achebe: A Biafran In Nigerian Clothes - By Muhammad Jameel Yusha’u by joeyfire(m): 10:21am On Dec 27, 2012
BlackBaron: I got nothing against Achebe's person but It's very difficult for anyone with an unbiased mind not to notice the inherent bits of propaganda.

Alluding Nzeogwu to be a northerner due to place of birth whilst conveniently regarding Ojukwu as igbo even though the latter was also born in the north was just plainly moving the goalpost of integrity in my opinion. Also wasn't Ojukwu was acknowledged to speak hausa quite fluently yet...

I have to disagree with you there bro. Nzeogwu was almost every bit a northerner save for his midwest heritage. Let's not forget that he carried out his own assassination in 1966 supported by northern troops, was mourned by his northern colleagues in the army when he died and was given a hero's burial in kaduna when he died. Ojukwu was just born in the north, schooled in lagos and uk.
Re: Chinua Achebe: A Biafran In Nigerian Clothes - By Muhammad Jameel Yusha’u by Akanbiedu(m): 10:22am On Dec 27, 2012
oyb: achebe, the 1000 year nnabros reich is dead. deal with it.

Gowon is the one who messed up - should have tried the biafra high command for treason and war crimes and had them all locked away. instead he played nice guy no victor no vanquished , and so today they are playing nazi remnants and filling the heads of the next generation with propaganda and delusions

Right bro plus the 20 pound policy.
Re: Chinua Achebe: A Biafran In Nigerian Clothes - By Muhammad Jameel Yusha’u by BlackBaron: 10:55am On Dec 27, 2012
joeyfire:

I have to disagree with you there bro. Nzeogwu was almost every bit a northerner save for his midwest heritage. Let's not forget that he carried out his own assassination in 1966 supported by northern troops, was mourned by his northern colleagues in the army when he died and was given a hero's burial in kaduna when he died. Ojukwu was just born in the north, schooled in lagos and uk.

That is an emphatic calumny to try to deny his parentage. Last time I checked Nzeogwu also schooled in the UK, if you want to use that to excise him.

Besides, Nzeogwu also fought in the biafran war yet you say he was a northerner but Ojukwu wasn't?
Re: Chinua Achebe: A Biafran In Nigerian Clothes - By Muhammad Jameel Yusha’u by mamigocentral: 11:14am On Dec 27, 2012
joeyfire:

Una no dey tire to dey post this nowa omoigui fairytale over and over. That seems to be the only news source on "biafran atrocities". No other newspaper in the world carried the news, the Midwest Rebel Atrocities Panel couldn't find anything, no group or persons till today has corroborated this. Yet when argument start una go quote omoigui's blog as if na holy bible
well, i've never read Omoigui's blog and I know that on the retreat from Ore blood was shed and conveniently tucked away in the greater mass of bloodshed then occuring in the east. Read Ben Gbulie's why we struck, wale ademoyegun's Nigeria's five majors and alexander madiebo's nigerian civil war and biafran revolution. Even as much as i respected Madiebo's accuracy in almost all the issues discussed he was more or less guilty of protecting biafra's image, but that was expected. Why gloss over a few deaths in Ore, benin and other communities the biafran army passed thru led by a son of the soil, all of that could effectively be left at adekunle's feet as the commanding officer of the biafran force that drove deep into the heart of the west
Re: Chinua Achebe: A Biafran In Nigerian Clothes - By Muhammad Jameel Yusha’u by joeyfire(m): 11:30am On Dec 27, 2012
BlackBaron:
That is an emphatic calumny to try to deny his parentage. Last time I checked Nzeogwu also schooled in the UK, if you want to use that to excise him.

Besides, Nzeogwu also fought in the biafran war yet you say he was a northerner but Ojukwu wasn't?

You are missing the point. Nobody is saying that Nzeogwu is from an ethnic group native to the north. The man came from okpanam but was born up north and was a kaduna man through and through, accepted by people from that place as one of them and buried with full honour in kaduna during the war.

Ojukwu got nowhere near nzeogwu with regard to acceptance by the northerners unless I am not getting your point
Re: Chinua Achebe: A Biafran In Nigerian Clothes - By Muhammad Jameel Yusha’u by joeyfire(m): 11:33am On Dec 27, 2012
mamigocentral: well, i've never read Omoigui's blog and I know that on the retreat from Ore blood was shed and conveniently tucked away in the greater mass of bloodshed then occuring in the east. Read Ben Gbulie's why we struck, wale ademoyegun's Nigeria's five majors and alexander madiebo's nigerian civil war and biafran revolution. Even as much as i respected Madiebo's accuracy in almost all the issues discussed he was more or less guilty of protecting biafra's image, but that was expected. Why gloss over a few deaths in Ore, benin and other communities the biafran army passed thru led by a son of the soil, all of that could effectively be left at adekunle's feet as the commanding officer of the biafran force that drove deep into the heart of the west

Ok will look up on those books again but my I seriously doubt the existence of an agenda of calculated brutality.
Re: Chinua Achebe: A Biafran In Nigerian Clothes - By Muhammad Jameel Yusha’u by mamigocentral: 12:17pm On Dec 27, 2012
joeyfire:

Ok will look up on those books again but my I seriously doubt the existence of an agenda of calculated brutality.

Now, I've died and gone to heaven. Am happy that at least one person can get past all the bullshit and examine matters critically. Its so cool that you're a level headed intellect. It wasnt brutality with intent, it was more like an emotional retaliation for what the Ibos had suffered unlike the planned massacres of the nigerian army. If i was in ther position i probably would have done so too, its not about laying blame but more about laying out the facts.
Re: Chinua Achebe: A Biafran In Nigerian Clothes - By Muhammad Jameel Yusha’u by PROUDIGBO(m): 1:50pm On Dec 27, 2012

Gowon is the one who messed up - should have tried the biafra high command for treason and war crimes and had them all locked away. instead he played nice guy no victor no vanquished , and so today they are playing nazi remnants and filling the heads of the next generation with propaganda and delusions

^^^You're a fool mate! You talk of trying the Biafran high command for treason, neglecting the reason for the war in the first place....neglecting the fact that war crimes were committed by the federal side, who in your opinion should not answer to anything b'cos they are blameless and whiter than white abi? (and besides it was the Igbos you hate that they were killing, so that makes it alright); fool, what i'm saying is that any 'discuss' or 'getting together' after the war should have been on the basis of a 'truth and reconciliation' set-up, so blame can be apportioned where necessary (whether it be Biafran or Federal/Nigerian) and any war crimes by whomsover would be acknowledged, offenders punished and apologies rendered.....but instead all 'issues' and 'causal factors' that led to the war, and issues affecting our proper intergration as a nation were swept under the carpet as the 'owners of Nigeria' (and their bastard helpers in the south) now sat down to ra/pe and plunder the nations resources, while all the while shouting the redundant mantra of 'up one naijeriah' and 'one indivisible country for life'.....absolute bunkum!

What you call 'filling the heads of the next generation with propaganda and delusions' will continue for as long as there are questions on the 'workability' of Nigeria as a nation, and for as long as we Igbos/Biafrans feel it necessary to remind our children of their past and to be wary of evil scum like you who wouldn't hesitate to annihilate an entire people given half a chance.....so you should learn to live with it, or go out on to the streets and demonstrate/carry placards for the 'Igbos' to leave Nigeria as you find their wahala to too much to handle.

2 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe: A Biafran In Nigerian Clothes - By Muhammad Jameel Yusha’u by PROUDIGBO(m): 1:54pm On Dec 27, 2012
mamigocentral: I actually find myself agreeing with you on the issue of trial but let's be sincere, a trial would have been disastrous in light of the fact that Ojukwu fled and ibos couldnt be held responsible for a war brought about by both sides, although i can say categorically that Ojukwu was the only leader of a losing side in a civil war that i have heard of who went on to become a national hero half a decade after d war instead of a dead body in a morgue regardless of whay country he fled to

^^^You find yourself agreeing with his thrash....but of course you would, wouldn't you?; you can try and play the 'level-headed neutral' all you like but at some point your true sentiments and feelings will always betray you.
Re: Chinua Achebe: A Biafran In Nigerian Clothes - By Muhammad Jameel Yusha’u by Dede1(m): 2:39pm On Dec 27, 2012
@OP

It is laughable and downright embarrassing to watch the dunces and their idiotic audiences make fool out of them selves. In one paragraph, the narrator stated northern region, including Bello and Balewa, was not ready for Nigerian independence in 60 and not capable of handling self-governance, yet in another paragraph the narrator stated that Bello and Balewa were traditionally schooled and readied for governance. I guess the narrator can not eat his\her cake and have it. If I say the narrator is intellectually bankrupt, it is simply an understatement.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe: A Biafran In Nigerian Clothes - By Muhammad Jameel Yusha’u by Nobody: 2:47pm On Dec 27, 2012
Are we not tired of this Biafran stuff.....we keep repeating ourselves with no fresh insight whatsoever..both side holding on to their historical perspectives.

There is no winner here....only losers and they are Nigerians..either in Nigeria or Biafra clothing.
Re: Chinua Achebe: A Biafran In Nigerian Clothes - By Muhammad Jameel Yusha’u by joeyfire(m): 2:55pm On Dec 27, 2012
mamigocentral: Now, I've died and gone to heaven. Am happy that at least one person can get past all the bullshit and examine matters critically. Its so cool that you're a level headed intellect. It wasnt brutality with intent, it was more like an emotional retaliation for what the Ibos had suffered unlike the planned massacres of the nigerian army. If i was in ther position i probably would have done so too, its not about laying blame but more about laying out the facts.

I'm aware that tragedy is bound to happen in a war situation, I'm however certain that it never happened on the scale nowa omoigui's online wankfest tries to paint it
Re: Chinua Achebe: A Biafran In Nigerian Clothes - By Muhammad Jameel Yusha’u by BlackBaron: 3:12pm On Dec 27, 2012
joeyfire:

You are missing the point. Nobody is saying that Nzeogwu is from an ethnic group native to the north. The man came from okpanam but was born up north and was a kaduna man through and through, accepted by people from that place as one of them and buried with full honour in kaduna during the war.

Ojukwu got nowhere near nzeogwu with regard to acceptance by the northerners unless I am not getting your point
My point is Nzeogwu knew where his allegiance lay irrespective of his supposed affiliations with the north.

What is the criteria for a 'northerner through and through' considering Ojukwu and Nzeogwu had very similar background, spoke hausa and igbo fluently and fought on the same side during the civil war?

His burial in Kaduna was more as a result of Gowon's directive rather than the implicit desire of his family or the wishes of northerners.
Re: Chinua Achebe: A Biafran In Nigerian Clothes - By Muhammad Jameel Yusha’u by PROUDIGBO(m): 3:19pm On Dec 27, 2012
joeyfire:

I'm aware that tragedy is bound to happen in a war situation, I'm however certain that it never happened on the scale nowa omoigui's online wankfest tries to paint it

^^^Omoiguis' online wankfest!? shocked.......the mind boggles walahi!
Re: Chinua Achebe: A Biafran In Nigerian Clothes - By Muhammad Jameel Yusha’u by Nobody: 3:46pm On Dec 27, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^You're a fool mate! You talk of trying the Biafran high command for treason, neglecting the reason for the war in the first place....neglecting the fact that war crimes were committed by the federal side, who in your opinion should not answer to anything b'cos they are blameless and whiter than white abi? (and besides it was the Igbos you hate that they were killing, so that makes it alright); fool, what i'm saying is that any 'discuss' or 'getting together' after the war should have been on the basis of a 'truth and reconciliation' set-up, so blame can be apportioned where necessary (whether it be Biafran or Federal/Nigerian) and any war crimes by whomsover would be acknowledged, offenders punished and apologies rendered.....but instead all 'issues' and 'causal factors' that led to the war, and issues affecting our proper intergration as a nation were swept under the carpet as the 'owners of Nigeria' (and their bastard helpers in the south) now sat down to ra/pe and plunder the nations resources, while all the while shouting the redundant mantra of 'up one naijeriah' and 'one indivisible country for life'.....absolute bunkum!

What you call 'filling the heads of the next generation with propaganda and delusions' will continue for as long as there are questions on the 'workability' of Nigeria as a nation, and for as long as we Igbos/Biafrans feel it necessary to remind our children of their past and to be wary of evil scum like you who wouldn't hesitate to annihilate an entire people given half a chance.....so you should learn to live with it, or go out on to the streets and demonstrate/carry placards [b]for the 'Igbos' to leave Nigeria as you find their wahala to too much to handl[/b]e.

no one is holding you. you people like money too much to do more than make noise. if you were serious and not just noisemakers, you'd have started a clear process of disengagement from nigeria - but rather, you keep on setting up businesses and shops in the rest of nigeria, even in the north where very 8months or so, several of you are slaughtered by rabid abokis.

your biafra noise is just sabre rattling. if you really wanted out you wouldn't be angling for presidency. no what you lot have always wanted is ascendancy over the rest of nigeria by hook, crook, force, stealth, cunny cunny, any means necessary. (that was what the coup was about - ascendancy over nigeria - when that failed you decided to settle for ascendancy over the SS&SE)
Re: Chinua Achebe: A Biafran In Nigerian Clothes - By Muhammad Jameel Yusha’u by Ojiofor: 3:49pm On Dec 27, 2012
We are all Biafrans grin
Re: Chinua Achebe: A Biafran In Nigerian Clothes - By Muhammad Jameel Yusha’u by PROUDIGBO(m): 3:50pm On Dec 27, 2012
oyb:

no one is holding you. you people like money too much to do more than make noise. if you were serious and not just noisemakers, you'd have started a clear process of disengagement from nigeria - but rather, you keep on setting up businesses and shops in the rest of nigeria, even in the north where very 8months or so, several of you are slaughtered by rabid abokis.

your biafra noise is just sabre rattling. if you really wanted out you wouldn't be angling for presidency. no what you lot have always wanted is ascendancy over the rest of nigeria by hook, crook, force, stealth, cunny cunny, any means necessary. (that was what the coup was about - ascendancy over nigeria - when that failed you decided to settle for ascendancy over the SS&SE)

^^^Fair enough.....whatever rocks your boat mate.

With the bolded, i have nothing more to add. wink
Re: Chinua Achebe: A Biafran In Nigerian Clothes - By Muhammad Jameel Yusha’u by ezeagu(m): 4:35pm On Dec 27, 2012
pazienza: Well,most igbos are biafrans in nigeria clothing, at least all my immediate and extended family members are. Most naive Nigerians are blaming Achebe for opening up what they call an old wound,but was the wound ever closed? I guess nigerians took the igbo silence to mean that we have gotten over biafra,how convinient. Biafra will always live in the heart of noble igbo men and women,we will always be biafrans in heart,you don't force people to be in the same nation with you.

If the Igbo had gotten over the war then there would have been Igbo supporters of MEND and Middle belters, but we all know what happened in history.

It's ironic that the people who actually fought the war (instead of people partying all through it) are the ones that are actually suffering for it now and publicly apologising.
Re: Chinua Achebe: A Biafran In Nigerian Clothes - By Muhammad Jameel Yusha’u by ezeagu(m): 4:38pm On Dec 27, 2012
dayokanu: ^^ The Nazi spirit was broken through crushing defeat trial and death of the key Nazist.

The same thing should have been done to Biafra

Well it wasn't because unfortunately for your deluded selves who didn't even fight the war the battles were in the hands of Westerners and communists. At least Biafra had a spirit instead of aimless partying and then mouthing off decades later.
Re: Chinua Achebe: A Biafran In Nigerian Clothes - By Muhammad Jameel Yusha’u by Nobody: 8:44pm On Dec 27, 2012
cool
Re: Chinua Achebe: A Biafran In Nigerian Clothes - By Muhammad Jameel Yusha’u by lagcity(m): 10:16pm On Dec 27, 2012
NL Igbos are in the minority. A lot of Igbos I know do not care about Biafra. . . or maybe they are pretending. There really is not anything wrong with having Biafra, but Igbo senators and reps are just useless, or maybe they are scared other senators will mob them if they raise the issue. They have "their man" in power and they aren't making a move. Biko, if not now, when?
Re: Chinua Achebe: A Biafran In Nigerian Clothes - By Muhammad Jameel Yusha’u by eboeboy: 10:57pm On Dec 27, 2012
Just one question, why did he wait till Ojukwu died before releasing this memoir?

I've been thinking about this all year!
Re: Chinua Achebe: A Biafran In Nigerian Clothes - By Muhammad Jameel Yusha’u by gbanikiti(m): 11:52pm On Dec 27, 2012
A coincidence maybe
eboe boy: Just one question, why did he wait till Ojukwu died before releasing this memoir?

Re: Chinua Achebe: A Biafran In Nigerian Clothes - By Muhammad Jameel Yusha’u by gbanikiti(m): 11:53pm On Dec 27, 2012
eboe boy: Just one question, why did he wait till Ojukwu died before releasing this memoir?

Re: Chinua Achebe: A Biafran In Nigerian Clothes - By Muhammad Jameel Yusha’u by DuduNegro: 6:47am On Dec 28, 2012

+ 1000
Re: Chinua Achebe: A Biafran In Nigerian Clothes - By Muhammad Jameel Yusha’u by mamigocentral: 2:22pm On Dec 28, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^You find yourself agreeing with his thrash....but of course you would, wouldn't you?; you can try and play the 'level-headed neutral' all you like but at some point your true sentiments and feelings will always betray you.
Touche, go read about Confederate president jefferson davis who is the perfect example of an Ojukwu in the US civil war. Check wikipedia if u cant find his story anywhere else. And if Ojukwu was in Gowon's shoes he'd have tried a lot of biafran generals same as he did killing his own people and sentencing them to jail on flimsy irrelevant excuses as saboteurs. With all their barbarism; I never heard of high level officers being court martialled on the Nigerian side. This very thing was why he lost his war, his, because the Ibo nation still survives and thrives as a result of the magnanimity of a seemingly ironical blood thirsty general (Gowon)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Taraba state Governorship Result Of 11 Out Of 16 Lgas / You Were VP Africa Region; CNBC Replies Oby Ezekwesili / Jonathan Not Buhari Responsible For Nigeria's Economic Woes - Okonjo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.