Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,238 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:33 AM

2,750-year-old Temple Found Near Jerusalem - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 2,750-year-old Temple Found Near Jerusalem (20318 Views)

Olumba's Supreme Temple Calabar: God's Third And Last Temple Will Be In Calabar / True Or False! Biblical Goliath Skull Found In A Tomb Near Jerusalem (photos) / "as Jesus Drew Near Jerusalem, He Saw The City And Wept Over It . . . . " Luke 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2,750-year-old Temple Found Near Jerusalem by plaetton: 7:29pm On Dec 29, 2012
davidylan:

no problem bros. Nothing taken personal... things get said in the heat of the moment.
Thank you. grin smiley

1 Like

Re: 2,750-year-old Temple Found Near Jerusalem by Nobody: 7:42pm On Dec 29, 2012
Good to see mankind make peace and not war !! grin
Re: 2,750-year-old Temple Found Near Jerusalem by plaetton: 7:46pm On Dec 29, 2012
@davidylan:
Now back to topic,
The main question is whether there is a clear disticntion between a Temple and An High Place in the bible.
Your refuse to simply answer that question by asserting that both serve the same purpose as places of worship and sacrifice.
It still does not answer the question of whether they are distinct or not.

By this twisted logic, on can also say wooden shrines or alters in the bush are also nouns for Temples since they both serve the same purpose, and therefore are not distinct.

Or, that since a donkey and tractor trailer both haul people and goods from one point to another, both serve the same purpose, and therefore one is not distinct from the other. Are you willing to agree to this?
Re: 2,750-year-old Temple Found Near Jerusalem by Nobody: 7:50pm On Dec 29, 2012
plaetton: @davidylan:
Now back to topic,
The main question is whether there is a clear disticntion between a Temple and An High Place in the bible.
Your refuse to simply answer that question by asserting that both serve the same purpose as places of worship and sacrifice.
It still does not answer the question of whether they are distinct or not.

By this twisted logic, on can also say wooden shrines or alters in the bush are also nouns for Temples since they both serve the same purpose, and therefore are not distinct.

Or, that since a donkey and tractor trailer both haul people and goods from one point to another, both serve the same purpose, and therefore one is not distinct from the other. Are you willing to agree to this?

In some instances the nouns temple and high place can be used interchangeably , biblically speaking.

For example :

"Then Solomon built a temple for Chamos the idol of Moab, on the hill that is over against Jerusalem, and for Moloch the idol of the children of Ammon." - 1 Kings 11:7

1 Like

Re: 2,750-year-old Temple Found Near Jerusalem by plaetton: 7:50pm On Dec 29, 2012
frosbel: Good to see mankind make peace and not war !! grin

Frosybel, and what is your take on this debate?
Is there a clear distinction between a Temple and an High Place in the biblical context?
Re: 2,750-year-old Temple Found Near Jerusalem by Sweetnecta: 7:51pm On Dec 29, 2012
@Frosbel: all you had to verify was revolutnis statement about Quran, Muhammad [sa] and his companion [ra] before my responses to know if "we" are discussing Islam here.

I know old prejudice is a thing that does not fade away so easily.

who were muslims before Muhammad [sa]?

Many. Adam [as] and his wife and his righteous son and the one who repented and the other children who were in obedience.
Then believers in every generation.

Who were not muslims? those who rejected faith; example; the people who perished in the flood of Noah [as], then pharaoh and those who followed him in the flood that drowned them in the sea. we see the body of that pharaoh, today on display exactly as Quran says it will be as a witness to the end of a tyrant, while the bible that revolutnis said was copied is silent about this very important detail.

Did Moses have a different religion that what the father of faith, Ibrahim [as] had? Since the Quran says Ibrahim was not a jew or a christian, we can say that Moses if he was a believer, which he was practice the same religion as Ibrahim. Jesus son of Mary didnt have a different religion, either. he never prayed to the wall and obviously he prostrated himself and obeyed the commandments of God Who sent him, while he was not a christian.

Allah is my Lord and has allowed these discoveries to validate islam as the true religion. we see that the palestinian muslims were not the idolaters, but the jews were.

Mclatunji by his reference to Queen Sheba has proven that Solomon [as] did not worship any idol of any wife. Instead his firmness and resolve in belief helped in bringing this powerful woman to faith. If a man is going to fall for a pattern of any woman, he will not fall for the pattern of a poor woman while he is able to bring a beautiful and powerful woman to his fold. simply put, none of the wives of King Solomon [as] the wise, got him away from his faith in 1 God. it is not befitting a prophet of God that he becomes a pagan. when i say prophet of God, know that the last one of them left this earth about 1,400 years ago.

so please dont even think your guy adegboye and other are prophets.
Re: 2,750-year-old Temple Found Near Jerusalem by Nobody: 7:56pm On Dec 29, 2012
plaetton:

Frosybel, and what is your take on this debate?
Is there a clear distinction between a Temple and an High Place in the biblical context?

high place
(in ancient Semitic religions) a place of worship, usually a temple or altar on a hilltop - Source
Re: 2,750-year-old Temple Found Near Jerusalem by plaetton: 7:56pm On Dec 29, 2012
frosbel:

In some instances the nouns temple and high place can be used interchangeably , biblically speaking.

For example :

"Then Solomon built a temple for Chamos the idol of Moab, on the hill that is over against Jerusalem, and for Moloch the idol of the children of Ammon." - 1 Kings 11:7

No sir. The bible never said that. The bible said" High Places", not Temple.
C'mon , this is the inerrant word of god. You cannot replace words with your artificial nouns anythime it suits you. That is called blasphemy.
Re: 2,750-year-old Temple Found Near Jerusalem by Nobody: 7:57pm On Dec 29, 2012
plaetton:

No sir. The bible never said that. The bible said" High Places", not Temple.
C'mon , this is the inerrant word of god. You cannot replace words with your artificial nouns anythime it suits you. That is called blasphemy.

The funny thing is how atheists employ mental gymnastics. One debate they will only accept the KJV, in another they will NEVER consider the KJV. So long as their point is the "right" one.

3 Likes

Re: 2,750-year-old Temple Found Near Jerusalem by plaetton: 8:06pm On Dec 29, 2012
davidylan:

The funny thing is how atheists employ mental gymnastics. One debate they will only accept the KJV, in another they will NEVER consider the KJV. So long as their point is the "right" one.

He he he. So you are back again with bible versions. Thats a laugh.
Now, if the bible has different versions saying different things, does it make any sense to even have any sensible debate about what the the bible says? But if your bible says temples in place of High places, kindly tell me which version and I'll simply check it out.
Re: 2,750-year-old Temple Found Near Jerusalem by Enigma(m): 8:07pm On Dec 29, 2012
davidylan:

One thing I find quite pitiable and rather pitiful is the desperation to discredit Christianity at all costs, by all means, on anything (even ordinarily innocuous things as I pointed out on another thread recently) ---- which leads to the mental gymnastics, intellectual bankruptcy and/or dishonesty. smiley

cool
Re: 2,750-year-old Temple Found Near Jerusalem by Nobody: 8:09pm On Dec 29, 2012
plaetton:

He he he. So you are back again with bible versions. Thats a laugh.
Now, if the bible has different versions saying different things, does it make any sense to even have any sensible debate about what the the bible says? But if your bible says temples in place of High places, kindly tell me which version and I'll simply check it out.

The bible says different things only to those who are either ignorant of the bible or who deceitfully employ it to advance a hidden agenda.
It is well known that "high places" is really only a synonym for TEMPLE. Even the british encyclopedia agrees as such!

So why is it a surprise that some versions of the bible interprete temple and high places interchangeably?
Re: 2,750-year-old Temple Found Near Jerusalem by Nobody: 8:10pm On Dec 29, 2012
Enigma:

One thing I find quite pitiable and rather pitiful is the desperation to discredit Christianity at all costs, by all means, on anything (even ordinarily innocuous things as I pointed out on another thread recently) ---- which leads to the mental gymnastics, intellectual bankruptcy and/or dishonesty. smiley

cool

Bros, i have never seen such level of dishonesty until i started running into NL atheists. grin
Re: 2,750-year-old Temple Found Near Jerusalem by Enigma(m): 8:13pm On Dec 29, 2012
davidylan:

Bros, i have never seen such level of dishonesty until i started running into NL atheists. grin

The shameless disregard for intellectual honesty, ready disposition to accepting and spreading conspiracy theories, empty grandstanding means I don't take quite a lot of them (and even some of their supposed non-atheist supporters with the same disposition) seriously. smiley

cool
Re: 2,750-year-old Temple Found Near Jerusalem by plaetton: 8:15pm On Dec 29, 2012
Enigma:

cool
Seasons greetings and welcome to the discussions. wink
So what is your own personal opinion on the distinction and or similarity between a Temple and an High Place?.

And by the way, should we sign a peace treaty this coming year or maintain status quo? grin grin
Re: 2,750-year-old Temple Found Near Jerusalem by Nobody: 8:18pm On Dec 29, 2012
Enigma:

The shameless disregard for intellectual honesty, ready disposition to accepting and spreading conspiracy theories, empty grandstanding means I don't take quite a lot of them (and even some of their supposed non-atheist supporters with the same disposition) seriously. smiley

cool

I could barely believe my eyes when plaetton said that the greatest distinction between a temple and a high place was that the temple was permanent and anchored to the earth while the high place was temporal in nature. cheesy I thought i had wandered into the jokes section by mistake.
Re: 2,750-year-old Temple Found Near Jerusalem by Nobody: 8:22pm On Dec 29, 2012
davidylan:

I could barely believe my eyes when plaetton said that the greatest distinction between a temple and a high place was that the temple was permanent and anchored to the earth while the high place was temporal in nature. cheesy I thought i had wandered into the jokes section by mistake.

grin grin
Re: 2,750-year-old Temple Found Near Jerusalem by Enigma(m): 8:22pm On Dec 29, 2012
plaetton:
Seasons greetings and welcome to the discussions. wink
So what is your own personal opinion on the distinction and or similarity between a Temple and an High Place?.

And by the way, should we sign a peace treaty this coming year or maintain status quo? grin grin

Seasons greetings.

I don't need to express an opinion; I am happy to watch and chip in whatever I feel like chipping in.

I'm not at war with anybody and don't need to sign any peace treaty. My stance remains that I do not readily engage in discussions with those who have an intellectually dishonest disposition and a predilection for conspiracy theories.

cool
Re: 2,750-year-old Temple Found Near Jerusalem by plaetton: 8:34pm On Dec 29, 2012
davidylan:

I could barely believe my eyes when plaetton said that the greatest distinction between a temple and a high place was that the temple was permanent and anchored to the earth while the high place was temporal in nature. cheesy I thought I had wandered into the jokes section by mistake.

I still maintain that and I am quite sure you understand english well enough.
What I was trying to convey is that a Temple is purpose-built for a whole lot religious duties ,an High Place is designated, mostly on mountaintops for ritual sacrifices.
But why did the Nabataens, that you referred to earlier, have both their High Places and their Temple, in the same vicinity? Surely, they must have known better than you, that they were distinct. Don't you think?

But lets face the facts and stop pretending.
I have the KJV in from of me. In describes how Solomon painstakingly designed and built a TEMPLE. In further chapters it reminds us that Solomon later built an High Place.
Now, here we have the same bible, same version, in the same book, same saga, using Temple in one story and then High Places in another.
And you Davidylan, and the rest of you, are telling us, the the biblical authors and later day translators and revisionists did not understand that a Temple and an High Place of sacrifice are the same?
Is that really your point?
Re: 2,750-year-old Temple Found Near Jerusalem by Nobody: 8:46pm On Dec 29, 2012
plaetton:

I still maintain that and I am quite sure you understand english well enough.
What I was trying to convey is that a Temple is purpose-built for a whole lot religious duties ,an High Place is designated, mostly on mountaintops for ritual sacrifices.

Again the same attempt at splitting hairs. What were the "religious duties" taking place in the temple? Was it not the exact same ritual sacrifices taking place on high places? So what exactly was the difference in the purpose for both places?

plaetton:
But why did the Nabataens, that you referred to earlier, have both their High Places and their Temple, in the same vicinity? Surely, they must have known better than you, that they were distinct. Don't you think?

Did they really? You didnt provide any evidence for this beyond two fotos that could be a picture of Idanre hills for all we know. Can you CLEARLY show us that they had a high place and temple IN THE SAME AREA? Please provide the concrete proof with fotos.

plaetton:
But lets face the facts and stop pretending.
I have the KJV in from of me. In describes how Solomon painstakingly designed and built a TEMPLE. In further chapters it reminds us that Solomon later built an High Place.
Now, here we have the same bible, same version, in the same book, same saga, using Temple in one story and then High Places in another.
And you Davidylan, and the rest of you, are telling us, the the biblical authors and later day translators and revisionists did not understand that a Temple and an High Place of sacrifice are the same?
Is that really your point?

this is becoming a dreadfully unfunny joke. You dont seem to be reading the bible with any depth of understanding at all. You just take the literal words and build a high place as a monument to your own ignorance.

Those same "high places" you claim solomon built were also referred to as temples in other lands. Take for example the temple to the philistine god of dagon.
Re: 2,750-year-old Temple Found Near Jerusalem by vanstanzy(m): 8:47pm On Dec 29, 2012
frosbel:

a plausible possibility !

Its not just a plausible possibility, its an exact account. Check this out: "Then Solomon built a temple for Chamos the idol of Moab, on the hill that is over against Jerusalem, and for Moloch the idol of the children of Ammon." - 1 Kings 11:7
Re: 2,750-year-old Temple Found Near Jerusalem by plaetton: 8:51pm On Dec 29, 2012
Enigma:

Seasons greetings.

I don't need to express an opinion; I am happy to watch and chip in whatever I feel like chipping in.

I'm not at war with anybody and don't need to sign any peace treaty. My stance remains that I do not readily engage in discussions with those who have an intellectually dishonest disposition and a predilection for conspiracy theories.

cool

Good. I'm glad no war.
When you say intellectually dishonest disposition, I hope you are not referring to me because I am far from being or doing anything intellectual, Unless, you are giving me a promotion.
In that case, Thank you.

But you and I are quite different.
I do like to engage in discussion with people who have an intellectually dishonest disposition. That is why I love to argue with religious people, especially the educated ones.
Honestly speaking,I am still trying to see where and how religious belief interfaces with the intellect. Its an honest search.
I may never understand it.

As for conspiracies, they exists, otherwise we would not even have the word or have conspiracy as crime on our criminal codes.
For example, I can tell you that right this moment, thousands of intellectually dishonest men and women are conspiring about how they are going to pick the pockets of others tomorrow in churches throughout most of the world, especially Nigeria.
If that makes me a conspiracy nut, then I will wear it as a great badge of honour.
Re: 2,750-year-old Temple Found Near Jerusalem by plaetton: 8:53pm On Dec 29, 2012
vanstanzy:

Its not just a plausible possibility, its an exact account. Check this out: "Then Solomon built a temple for Chamos the idol of Moab, on the hill that is over against Jerusalem, and for Moloch the idol of the children of Ammon." - 1 Kings 11:7

Just tell me which bible version you have this and I will check it out.
Re: 2,750-year-old Temple Found Near Jerusalem by plaetton: 8:57pm On Dec 29, 2012
davidylan:

Again the same attempt at splitting hairs. What were the "religious duties" taking place in the temple? Was it not the exact same ritual sacrifices taking place on high places? So what exactly was the difference in the purpose for both places?

Did they really? You didnt provide any evidence for this beyond two fotos that could be a picture of Idanre hills for all we know. Can you CLEARLY show us that they had a high place and temple IN THE SAME AREA? Please provide the concrete proof with fotos.

this is becoming a dreadfully unfunny joke. You dont seem to be reading the bible with any depth of understanding at all. You just take the literal words and build a high place as a monument to your own ignorance.

Those same "high places" you claim solomon built were also referred to as temples in other lands. Take for example the temple to the philistine god of dagon.

Here we go again. Now you are acusing me of taking the bible literal?
Big laugh again.
So when the bible says temple, it is temple, but when it says High places, I should not be literal, but I should be scriptural to see it as Temples too, right?
And what other lands are you referring to ?
Re: 2,750-year-old Temple Found Near Jerusalem by Enigma(m): 9:04pm On Dec 29, 2012
plaetton:

Good. I'm glad no war.
When you say intellectually dishonest disposition, I hope you are not referring to me because I am far from being or doing anything intellectual, Unless, you are giving me a promotion.
In that case, Thank you.

But you and I quite different.
I do like to engage in discussion with people who have an intellectually dishonest disposition. That is why I love to argue with religious people, especially the educated ones.
Honestly speaking,I am still trying to see where and how religious belief interfaces with the intellect. Its an honest search.
I may never understand it.

As for conspiracies, they exists, otherwise we would not even have the word or have conspiracy as crime on our criminal codes.
For example, I can tell you that right this moment, thousands of intellectually dishonest men and women are conspiring about how they are going to pick the pockets of others tomorrow in churches throughout most of the world, especially Nigeria.
If that makes me a conspiracy nut, then I will wear it a great badge of honour.

1. You know very well that my view is that you are extremely intellectually dishonest.

2. You know very well that I have caught you expressly and undeniably at clear intellectual dishonesty several times; on some of the occasions, you went mum or underground after I pointed things out to you.

3. You know very well that on one occasion, you actually expressly stated that you would deliberately maintain and continue an intellectually dishonest approach; this was when you were still using the globexl (or whatever) name; even one of the atheists tried to call you to order on that occasion.

4. Finally, for the avoidance of doubt, I think you are extremely intellectually dishonest (granted some of your problems could be put down to poor comprehension); that with your predilection for conspiracy theories have the effect that I am not readily inclined to engage with you in discussion.

smiley
Re: 2,750-year-old Temple Found Near Jerusalem by Nobody: 9:06pm On Dec 29, 2012
plaetton:

Here we go again. Now you are acusing me of taking the bible literal?
Big laugh again.
So when the bible says temple, it is temple, but when it says High places, I should not be literal, but I should be scriptural to see it as Temples too, right?
And what other lands are you referring to ?

I'm not interested in the long story. Please provide evidence that the nabateans had a temple and high place within the same vicinity. thanks.
Re: 2,750-year-old Temple Found Near Jerusalem by plaetton: 9:39pm On Dec 29, 2012
davidylan:

I'm not interested in the long story. Please provide evidence that the nabateans had a temple and high place within the same vicinity. thanks.

This is an example.

The Temple, popularly known as the Qasr al-Bint Firaun ("The Castle of Pharaoh's Daughter"wink, was a large free-standing structure, built of massive blocks of yellow sandstone. It has been extensively restored. Dushara was the principal god of the Nabataeans; his partner, the fertility goddess Atagartis, was worshipped at the Temple of the Winged Lions, which faces the Temple of Dushara from a low rise to the north-east of the Temenos gateway. In Roman times, these temples would have been taken over for the worship of the appropriate Roman gods, possibly Apollo and Artemis respectively. In the city's Byzantine period, it is likely that they were also adapted for Christian worship.

http://nabataea.net/burial.html

High Places
Scattered around the burial cities are hundreds of high places. Some of these are proper high places with evidence of altars, and other items. Others are different. In most of these cases steps lead up the side of mountains or rocks to a small flat ledge or surface area. On many of these ledges or hilltops, there is little room to stand. I suspect that these places were not actually high places in the religious sense, but that they were places where the dead were exposed to the elements. Visitors to Petra unknowingly pass many of these spots as they walk among the tombs. (Right: One of the many highplaces in Petra. Below: The Robinson High Place in Petra)

Re: 2,750-year-old Temple Found Near Jerusalem by maclatunji: 9:41pm On Dec 29, 2012
frosbel:

hahaha , giberrish is the word, yes of course it is grin grin

happy new year Mclatunji !!

Thank you for not arguing like David. You mention a Prophet, we Muslims are going to show-up. Let no one come and tell me Solomon was a king, that goes without saying.

grin
Re: 2,750-year-old Temple Found Near Jerusalem by plaetton: 9:43pm On Dec 29, 2012
^^^^^

Temples
Archeologists such as Glueck have noted the strong Iranian/Parthian elements that were mixed into the construction of Nabataean temples. If the Nabataeans adopted certain aspects of Iranian religion into their temple architecture, would it not also follow that they might readily adopt the Iranian/Persian practice of drying bones and then burying them?

Again, we see a clear distinction between a Temple and the High places in Nabataen culture.

Point proven.
Re: 2,750-year-old Temple Found Near Jerusalem by Nobody: 9:48pm On Dec 29, 2012
plaetton:

This is an example.

The Temple, popularly known as the Qasr al-Bint Firaun ("The Castle of Pharaoh's Daughter"wink, was a large free-standing structure, built of massive blocks of yellow sandstone. It has been extensively restored. Dushara was the principal god of the Nabataeans; his partner, the fertility goddess Atagartis, was worshipped at the Temple of the Winged Lions, which faces the Temple of Dushara from a low rise to the north-east of the Temenos gateway. In Roman times, these temples would have been taken over for the worship of the appropriate Roman gods, possibly Apollo and Artemis respectively. In the city's Byzantine period, it is likely that they were also adapted for Christian worship.

http://nabataea.net/burial.html

High Places
Scattered around the burial cities are hundreds of high places. Some of these are proper high places with evidence of altars, and other items. Others are different. In most of these cases steps lead up the side of mountains or rocks to a small flat ledge or surface area. On many of these ledges or hilltops, there is little room to stand. I suspect that these places were not actually high places in the religious sense, but that they were places where the dead were exposed to the elements. Visitors to Petra unknowingly pass many of these spots as they walk among the tombs. (Right: One of the many highplaces in Petra. Below: The Robinson High Place in Petra)

And how exactly does this show that a temple and high place (2 distinct worship buildings) were in the same vicinity? undecided Are we still in the joke section?
Re: 2,750-year-old Temple Found Near Jerusalem by Nobody: 9:48pm On Dec 29, 2012
maclatunji:

Thank you for not arguing like David. You mention a Prophet, we Muslims are going to show-up. Let no one come and tell me Solomon was a king, that goes without saying.

grin

i wonder why... perhaps because islam is purely a retelling of jewish culture?
Re: 2,750-year-old Temple Found Near Jerusalem by plaetton: 9:57pm On Dec 29, 2012
davidylan:

And how exactly does this show that a temple and high place (2 distinct worship buildings) were in the same vicinity? undecided Are we still in the joke section?

He he he. Is that all you could pick up and pick upon? Same vicinity? Is that thee all important thing now?
I thought the distinction was the main issue here, now you have turned it to Vicinity issue.
Na wa for you davidylan.
Anyway, I'm off now.
Another time.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

My Heaven Experience / Men And Women Don't Pray Together In The Mosque. Why? / 'Shame To Supporters Of Stingy People' - Mbaka Blasts In New Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.