Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,098 members, 7,811,085 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:00 PM

One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? (26144 Views)

Driving Automatic Vehicles With Both Legs. / Q & A On Coasting In Neutral For Automatic Gear / How To Drive Automatic Vehicles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by djeezy(m): 2:04pm On Dec 31, 2012
fellis: I think using two legs for automatic is mostly done by that those who started with manual driving and got used to it.
They tend to use two legs because they are used to the idea of driving with both legs and don't know how to keep any leg idle. The ideal thing is to use only the right leg when driving automatic.
You're right I get your point but I learnt with manual which requires two legs but when driving automatic I use one leg. It has always been like that for me.
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by vivianc(f): 2:14pm On Dec 31, 2012
I was using 2 legs before, until the day I mistakenly matched on the accelerator instead of the brake, God really helped me that day if not it would have been another story. So I learned how to use a leg by force.
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by thrugemaster(m): 2:17pm On Dec 31, 2012
TALOSOBE,.. ONYENEKWU,.. WAIKEMAGANA..... I used two legs for the automatic car when i was still a learner......... @ i am no more a learner.......@ all this kpomo drivers which we see now adays breaking driving norms and causing diverse kinds of accidents
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by camcor(m): 2:19pm On Dec 31, 2012
cretin: well. not exactly true.i learnt on my own too, so use 2 legs......its even better and it keeps the 2 legs busy ..i hv been in close shaves a couple of times...and never slammed on the gas pedal in error, my brain has adapted to it.........tried unlearning it sometime ago, when peeps critisiced me...but never could unlearn.......so am living with it n loving it!! grin grin grin

Google to know best. I've being driving in the past 14yrs and manual is the cars available then, right leg for brake & accelerator while left leg is for clutch switching to automatic recently is as easy as a b c. My advice is both legs for driving automatic is wrong I mean absolutely WRONG ( not advisable).
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by francis247(m): 2:22pm On Dec 31, 2012
chucksbadt: i am currently learning how to drive and all the cars in my house are automatic.......i want to know if it advisable to use 2 legs while driving automatic?....or is one leg preferable....if yes..why?
One and one only, abi you wan die?
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by silentc(m): 2:22pm On Dec 31, 2012
p.wiz:
Never, you can't use one leg in driving a manual car.

P-wiz, if you read what I wrote, you will see that i was referring to using one leg for the accelerator and brake with automatic or manual.

off course with a manual car, the other leg is used for the clutch?
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by francis247(m): 2:24pm On Dec 31, 2012
chucksbadt: i am currently learning how to drive and all the cars in my house are automatic.......i want to know if it advisable to use 2 legs while driving automatic?....or is one leg preferable....if yes..why?
One and one only, abi you wan die?
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by femi4: 2:28pm On Dec 31, 2012
p.wiz:
you didn't read very well, he said even in manual, your right leg still controls break and acc
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by victorD3: 2:31pm On Dec 31, 2012
cretin: well. not exactly true.i learnt on my own too, so use 2 legs......its even better and it keeps the 2 legs busy ..i hv been in close shaves a couple of times...and never slammed on the gas pedal in error, my brain has adapted to it.........tried unlearning it sometime ago, when peeps critisiced me...but never could unlearn.......so am living with it n loving it!! grin grin grin

Using 2 legs in an auto trans negates the reason it was originally designed for. Auto was designed for the disabled with just a foot. So make you life easy and use just one leg.
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 2:34pm On Dec 31, 2012
I tried to be smart with my first auto and thought I could drive it as manual.. I had no option but to buy it after I rammed it into a wall test-driving it. that is what 2-leg driving will cost you in an auto-trans grin grin
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by roli21: 2:36pm On Dec 31, 2012
i use 1 leg 4 manual so wats d big deal undecided
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by dbblessboy(m): 2:48pm On Dec 31, 2012
i prefer one leg most time..cos wit dat am free
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by Nobody: 2:51pm On Dec 31, 2012
I started with a Manual. So I'm pretty much used to keeping my Left foot "LEFT", where the clutch is, and my right for the Brakes and Acceleration.

In an Auto I use only my Right.
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by Edoblakky(m): 2:51pm On Dec 31, 2012
For me, I learnt how to drive with a manual car using both legs. When I bought my auto car, I found it difficult to drive with one leg. I've been driving with both legs for almost four years now and I've not had any accident, though I taught my wife to drive with one leg. It may not be the best practice to drive an auto car with both legs, but in my opinion it is not risky.

1 Like

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by Nobody: 2:51pm On Dec 31, 2012
Why would anyone use both legs when driving an automatic? undecided Save that for the stick shift...
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by crisycent: 2:55pm On Dec 31, 2012
It is extremely dangerous to drive automatic vehicles with two legs especially when applying brakes. I am sure you would have noticed this especially when driving an automatic car for the first time.
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by rajisaliu(m): 2:57pm On Dec 31, 2012
is it true that one can use any of the legs to drive automatic car that is whether left or right.
And i heard that for learner it is advisable to learn using manual transmission.
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by favouryemmy: 3:00pm On Dec 31, 2012
BasseyJ: To add to the question, i already drive, i learnt on my own so didnt have anyone telling me what to do, i use 2 legs, one for acceleration and one for the brakes. Is there any harm in doing this??
Thanks
first of all, knowing how to drive is not knowing how to move the car around from point a to point b. Driving has rules, dos and donts. You MUST read about that. Also u cant know everything about driving on ur own, u need an experienced DRIVER to tell u certain things you cant learn on ur own. Driving is a risk but take such risks with an informed mind. If u wish I can tell you certain things u might or might not have known about driving. One of them is that if ur truly driving and auto transmission with both legs ur wrong. Y? Because both cannot work together, u might not realize this now until ur panic driving then u might mistakenly step on both of them together. Use only the right leg. Believe me, I know what Im saying!

1 Like

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by tpapi: 3:01pm On Dec 31, 2012
Ow can u step on d brakes wit d left leg while drivin an auto,is very risky because there is no strenght on dat left leg

2 Likes

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by Nobody: 3:01pm On Dec 31, 2012
Pls do not copy anyone driving with 2 legs. Use only one leg o! I use 2 legs when driving my nissan car. Especially when am racing on a busy road. The day i tried it with a Sienna, i didnt go well at all. So, i dare not try it with another car. But with my ride, its lovely. Have done that for like 3 years now. Its just fun right leg for acceleration, then the left leg must be used for braking alone.
It has helped me a lot in terms of driving with precision. However, its not advisable if you havent done it for long.
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by Nobody: 3:03pm On Dec 31, 2012
hercules07:

Not true, I started with beetle, even drove manual trucks and I have never used the two legs for driving an automatic car, it is not even natural.

I didn't say ALL the people that drive automatic with two legs are doing it because they started driving with two legs; of course there will be exceptions, I said I think it is mostly done by them.
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Dec 31, 2012
hercules07:

Not true, I started with beetle, even drove manual trucks and I have never used the two legs for driving an automatic car, it is not even natural.
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by RuuDie(m): 3:06pm On Dec 31, 2012
p.wiz:

Actually. . .in a sense, only one foot is used in driving manual cars. Its only when you want to slow down or stop that both legs are used!
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by DTutu1: 3:08pm On Dec 31, 2012
It's not good at all to use two legs. Just listen to the sound of the car from the exhaust when someone who make use of one leg and another who use two legs when they are reversing in a tight place or from difficult parking place.
You will notice that the two leg driver most times without knowing it will constantly press the throttle and the brake at the same time. The RPM of the car will be high and at the same time the car is not moving.
This means that you have signaled the car to move and at the same time prevents it to do so.
The engine and gear pays for this action. You also waste a lot of fuel.

1 Like

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by plendil: 3:08pm On Dec 31, 2012
p.wiz:

You didn't get him. He said one leg for the accelerator and brake. the other leg for the clutch.
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by plendil: 3:10pm On Dec 31, 2012
vivian chinaza: I was using 2 legs before, until the day I mistakenly matched on the accelerator instead of the brake, God really helped me that day if not it would have been another story. So I learned how to use a leg by force.

that what we're talking about
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by favouryemmy: 3:11pm On Dec 31, 2012
abdulkadir: gone are d good old days when you had to pass driving tests to drive on our roads.
Bros, you're wrong. That's the cause of some avoidable accidents in Nigeria. You need to arm yourself withing driving rules, driving signs etc. Even if u teach yourself, go to the internet type in 'driving 101' download and read, then you'll see that you dont know much about driving. If you dont have the driving rules on ur finger tips, then u have a long way to go to be a driver. No harm intended, but I believe ur educated and shd understand what I mean.
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by plendil: 3:11pm On Dec 31, 2012

what if a day comes that you have to drive a manual trans, how you go do am?
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by kunlekunle: 3:30pm On Dec 31, 2012
chucksbadt: so from the above comments i can see that both one or two legs during driving is advisable........i really dont agree that driving with two legs for automatic is risky

how did you get your license?
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by dav22y(m): 3:32pm On Dec 31, 2012
Professionals will advice using 1 leg,
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by Nobody: 3:37pm On Dec 31, 2012
I don't know of any law dat forbids that. i've been driving 4 close 2 2 years now with both feet without a confusion, not even 4 a sec. n dats my most comfortable way
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by princeonx: 3:40pm On Dec 31, 2012
Your left leg is ONLY for clutch in manual situation/car while your right is for acceleration and brake, now take off the clutch on the left (now automatic) you're left with only two pedals which is right and middle (acceleration & brake).

Anyway the white man had made this once complicated thing simple I guess it's now time for the black man to make this one simple thing complicated! If two legs no do make you add hand! Smh!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Bus Burning At Technoil Filling Station, Ojodu, Lagos (Photos) / The 2015 Nigeria's Superbike Road Race / How To Obtain A Driving Learner's Permit In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.