Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,266 members, 7,811,756 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:54 PM

One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? (26146 Views)

Driving Automatic Vehicles With Both Legs. / Q & A On Coasting In Neutral For Automatic Gear / How To Drive Automatic Vehicles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by arobafingi(m): 9:46am On Jan 01, 2013
it is advisable to use your right leg for acceleration and brake both in auto and manual trans

1 Like

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by deotelan(m): 10:29am On Jan 01, 2013
@OP and anybody using two legs to drive hmmm... You av signed your death warrant cuz it is absolutely unadvisable to do that and most especially try all you could do to get rid of it as soon as you find yourself using both legz to drive an automatic car!
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by LaidBack01: 10:31am On Jan 01, 2013
Lovely thread. I believe auto cars are designed to be driven with ONE leg, driving with the two doesn't compliment the purpose of the design. However anyone that thinks he is comfortable with the two legs should not be discouraged and such people should not also encourage others 2 drive with 2 legs.

By the way, The first auto car I will ever drive was with two legs-I was 17- I remained confused and kept matching both the accelerator and the brake at the same time WHILE on motion and alas the engine kept tripping off whenever I commit this blunder. In short, my friend had to collect his ride back.

Perhaps come auto guru needs to emphasize the consequence of matching the 2 pedals at the same time.

J
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by legendprac(m): 10:41am On Jan 01, 2013
Two legs for automatic? Haba! Una get energy Oº°˚˚°... Unless u brake and accelerate @ d same time(d car fit mad carry u enter better ditch) then what's d need?

And yea, I started wit manual, but have neva used two legs to drive automatic. The leg space would even be congested and dat's a dangerous tin in emergency situations...

1 Like

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by Nobody: 10:59am On Jan 01, 2013
Pls do not try it although i do it because cars are not toys o! Do not try it !!! U can try in on video games
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by jaxxy(m): 11:49am On Jan 01, 2013
joinnow: Pls for safety sake tie your left leg and use only the right leg. A friend bought an auto and becos of rush rush did not cool down to learn auto style of driving so on getting to a junction he slam on accelerator kill one bike man injure the kepkep spent almost 700k to solve the problem. So please if possible also belt your left leg an use only one leg whenever driving automatic

Nicely said bt I've been curious 2 knw, is it all cases where sm1 hits d accelerator instead of d brake dat d person was using both legs 2 drive? I'm asking cos I honestly don't knw, a frnd of mine dis same she drove all d way a long distance only 2 get 2 her destination and park bt instead of pressing d break hit d accelerator and ran d car in2 a pavement. Now I tot she was using 1 leg bt I'm nt sure. Can dat happen while using 1 leg also
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by Osyxcel(m): 12:07pm On Jan 01, 2013
jaxxy:

a frnd of mine dis same she drove all d way a long distance only 2 get 2 her destination and park bt instead of pressing d break hit d accelerator and ran d car in2 a pavement. Now I tot she was using 1 leg bt I'm nt sure. Can dat happen while using 1 leg also

Yes, not only dat it can happen, it does happen esp wen U're learning & U're jittery....
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by Martini101(m): 4:22pm On Jan 01, 2013
Ignorance is really a bliss! Oyibo man afta so many research advocated to d use of one leg{ right 4 both braking and acceleration cos both cant happen at d same time} but here, some people wit d exception of left footed people re using both legs. Good 4 una sha. As 4 me one leg {right} 4 auto trans and both 4 manual. The fact still remains dat a one-legged driver 'll still be precise than a two-legged driver. Oga siena. Happy new year

1 Like

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by plendil: 5:50pm On Jan 01, 2013
I'm flabbergasted to read so many comments here of people using both feet to drive. Get it right, it is WRONG!!!

1 Like

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jan 01, 2013
slim14: In my humble opinion, I don't see it like a bad or harmful thing to drive with both legs 'cos since I've been driving auto am actually used to driving with both legs, infact I felt it is even better than to keep the other leg idle.

Buddy, please don't take this the wrong way - which driving school did you attend? Because I'm not aware of any registered Driving Instructor who would tutor anyone to drive an automatic with both legs.

I might be wrong though, and this may be one of a new breed of driving instructors I've never heard of.

2 Likes

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by AMADU77: 8:17pm On Jan 01, 2013
safety first dear

remove the idea of " 2 legs driving "

yes its possible but dont give any chance for accelerator and brake to be on the same time, on of them only should be active

also when u panic or u need to brake u may not recognize left foot from right so u may press both and that's danger

drive with one leg only , its not a matter u should ask about , one leg n only n thnks

1 Like

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by 6ft: 9:05pm On Jan 01, 2013
undecidedomo see confusion...

@ op: driving n driving techniques are not cast on stones pls apply watever is comfortable for u provided u drive safely n obey traffic rules..howevr i'l advice u learn wt one - ur rt foot, and perfect it

@y'all condeming drivn auto trans wv both legs (sm even say u will DIE if u try it) for cryin out loud,dont pple write wt both hands

abeg dont crucify pple wt ur mouths cos u r not comfortable drivin an auto wt both legs jooor

1 Like

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by coretechng(m): 9:11pm On Jan 01, 2013
fellis: I think using two legs for automatic is mostly done by those who started with manual driving and got used to it.
They tend to use two legs because they are used to the idea of driving with both legs and don't know how to keep any leg idle. The ideal thing [/b]is to use only the right leg when driving automatic.
I dont believe that one system is [b]''the ideal''.Either way ,just go with the one you feel save with.

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by mkoabiola: 10:45pm On Jan 01, 2013
2legs don master me ooo.
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by Nobody: 11:26pm On Jan 01, 2013
6 ft':
undecidedomo see confusion...

@ op: driving n driving techniques are not cast on stones pls apply watever is comfortable for u provided u drive safely n obey traffic rules..howevr i'l advice u learn wt one - ur rt foot, and perfect it

@y'all condeming drivn auto trans wv both legs (sm even say u will DIE if u try it) for cryin out loud,dont pple write wt both hands

abeg dont crucify pple wt ur mouths cos u r not comfortable drivin an auto wt both legs jooor

Bro, there's no confusion. Regardless of bad driving habits we pick up pre-driving test, as humans, we learn to adapt.

Now, I have no idea where you drive, but let's say you wished to take your driving test in the US, UK or Canada, and you chose to use both legs on an automatic, what do you think the results would be?

Yes, some folk are ambidextrous, but that can't be compared to driving. The same theory about being left-handed or ambidextrous can't be applied to your legs, otherwise you'll be walking abnormally - you can't take two steps with your right leg, and one with your left. If you learnt to drive in the US, you change gears in a manual with your right hand. 10 years later, you move to the UK, you shift your gears with your left hand. It doesn't matter of you're left-handed, or right-handed, you adapt without actually thinking about it.

Writing and making mistakes isn't dangerous, mistakes made whilst driving are. No one's crucifying anyone, you're going overboard there. This is a discussion board, and views are being shared.

2 Likes

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by oge4real(f): 2:30am On Jan 02, 2013
I just went out now to try using 2 legs for auto but I couldn't even get out of the driveway. I am yet to understand how anyone can actually do that.
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by chucksbadt(m): 12:04pm On Jan 02, 2013
oge4real: I just went out now to try using 2 legs for auto but I couldn't even get out of the driveway. I am yet to understand how anyone can actually do that.
Itz quite confusing for those who r already used 2 usin one leg!
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by ommymicheal: 5:23pm On Jan 02, 2013
one leg 4 automatic,tow leg 4 manual
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by abdulkadir(m): 9:20pm On Jan 03, 2013
favouryemmy:
Bros, you're wrong. That's the cause of some avoidable accidents in Nigeria. You need to arm yourself withing driving rules, driving signs etc. Even if u teach yourself, go to the internet type in 'driving 101' download and read, then you'll see that you dont know much about driving. If you dont have the driving rules on ur finger tips, then u have a long way to go to be a driver. No harm intended, but I believe ur educated and shd understand what I mean.
bros i no understand wetin u mean.
u quoted what i said nd u still attack me dis much.
may b u didnt get me. In those days 20, 25 yaers and more ago you couldnt get a DL if you didnt pass a driving test. U couldnt pass a driving test when you use your left foot for the brake its like scoring an F. Those days are gone, hardly do anybody go thru any test as u still hav in europe and other cntries that care about the safety of its citizens. If not why would this thread even come up.
to those who drive auto with 2 legs my advice is do d needful and drive correctly using ur ryt foot for both gas/accelerator/throttle "tortle" and brake. Never ever use ur left foot for d brake. There is nothing wrong until u slam hard on the gas instead of d brake. the consequences? i rather not say.
i rest my case.
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by plendil: 7:11am On Jan 04, 2013
oge4real: I just went out now to try using 2 legs for auto but I couldn't even get out of the driveway. I am yet to understand how anyone can actually do that.

LOL!

After reading some comments I tried it myself with an automatic, and perhaps because I drive manual quite frequently, my left leg instinctively jammed the brake pedal to to floor while the right was leg pressing the accelerator. Of course the car only jerked but refused to move.

I gave it another try forcing my left leg to let go of the brake pedal while gingerly depressing the throttle with the right. It successfully hovered over the brake before, perhaps in anticipation of an impending gear change, and mistaking it for clutch, I jammed the brake to floor again, . . .yeah, guess what happened! grin grin

I simply cannot imagine how people are able to drive normally like this.
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by Wallie(m): 5:23pm On Jan 04, 2013
To those using both feet to drive an automatic (left – brake, right –gas), what foot do you use to apply brake in a manual car? If you say left foot, then how do you ensure that the car will not shut off when you have to come to a stop?

If you’re learning how to drive, do not try using your left foot to brake, otherwise you may end up confusing yourself. You just have way too many new things going on to be able to do the mental gymnastics required to reflexively apply the brakes.

If you think you’re a “pro” then give it a try if you want as long as you know that the situation you’re in will determine if you left-foot brake or right-foot brake.

By the way, the answer to the question above to those who left-foot brake in a manual is - left-foot brake when trying to only slow down and right-foot brake when trying to come to a stop.
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by Wallie(m): 5:31pm On Jan 04, 2013
plendil:

LOL!

After reading some comments I tried it myself with an automatic, and perhaps because I drive manual quite frequently, my left leg instinctively jammed the brake pedal to to floor while the right was leg pressing the accelerator. Of course the car only jerked but refused to move.

I gave it another try forcing my left leg to let go of the brake pedal while gingerly depressing the throttle with the right. It successfully hovered over the brake before, perhaps in anticipation of an impending gear change, and mistaking it for clutch, I jammed the brake to floor again, . . .yeah, guess what happened! grin grin

I simply cannot imagine how people are able to drive normally like this.

Keep practicing but on a deserted road. The biggest hurdle you will face is calibrating your left foot not to apply too much pressure so as to bring the car to a sudden stop when you only intended to slow down.

I brake with my left foot occasionally after learning how to because of racing but when I REALLY need to stop, right foot to the rescue!
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by Wallie(m): 5:44pm On Jan 04, 2013
See the master, Colin McRae, do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMEqOGejlrw

Here's another video but with the guy using his left foot to check the brakes for pressure before getting to a turn. You don't want to be at a 20 mph corner at over 100 mph and can't slow down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdWSyrqEnE4
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by swaggerkid(m): 9:51pm On Jan 04, 2013
lalaboi: One foot . . . while i was learning to drive a few years back i used 2 in an automatic, i panicked in a situation and pressed gas rather than break cos i was inconsistent, i smashed my pops car danu lol. .
LOL @LALABOI VERI FUNNY [IMG]http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff390/ShaneDawg021/obamalaugh2_zpsa196df14.png[/IMG]
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by swaggerkid(m): 10:11pm On Jan 04, 2013
chiebube: Pls do not copy anyone driving with 2 legs. Use only one leg o! I use 2 legs when driving my nissan car. Especially when am racing on a busy road. The day i tried it with a Sienna, i didnt go well at all. So, i dare not try it with another car. But with my ride, its lovely. Have done that for like 3 years now. Its just fun right leg for acceleration, then the left leg must be used for braking alone.
It has helped me a lot in terms of driving with precision. However, its not advisable if you havent done it for long.
COOL
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by goodwillraj: 3:58pm On Apr 21, 2013
I am driving in UAE left hand drive. Iam driving manual and auto both type of cars. I feel comfortable to use both the legs either that is manual car or automatic. No issues.
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by unforgiven: 5:06pm On Apr 23, 2013
it all depends, there are people that move the car from point A to Point B, and there are people that actually [b]drive [/b]the car.
That you use 2 legs for automatic, you are defiantly moving from point A to B, but if you want to [b]DRIVE [/b]the car, then use one leg for automatic
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by Originalsly: 2:19am On Apr 24, 2013
I can't believe people Confessing two leg driving and defending it too. Regardless if manual or automatic...regardless if left hand drive or right hand drive... the brake and gas pedals were designed to be used by the right foot only.They are always close to each other.If manual then the clutch pedal is always farther away..if automatic there is even a footrest for the left foot. If you taught yourself to use both feet then you taught yourself the wrong way but it is never too late to start adjusting.Like Sienna said...it is about being willing to adapt. The risk of hitting the gas instead of the brake in an emergency is far more likely if driving with both legs...risking your life is one thing..risking the lives of others is not cool.

1 Like

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by Mpomia: 11:23pm On Sep 14, 2021
Look let's do a little thinking. It is wrong to drive with your 1leg in Automatic. It is so wrong and not safe and this is why.

When you are driving a car first of all what your eyes see educates you of what type of car you are driving because there is going to be a similation between the body and the car.

Now how is a manual made to tell u there are 3peddles, the one to your right is the acceralator control. To the middle from the right is the brake which is next to your psychological control which is the similation. Remember the right leg takes control and does not move until the machine must come to a slow or a stop.

Now your left leg does 2 jobs and it takes care of the brake and the clutch giving you a sense of division yet positioned in your negative side of brain which at this time is expected to do positive to the car in terms of how the machine should be running on the road. Your brains re opened to the road and the car.
And your eyes are picking visuals at a certain speed. In the MANUAL of course it only makes sense to station the right leg and use the left to control the speed but what you have forgotten is none of the legs crosses each other, so why use the same right leg stationed to the acceralator in the manual for moving the car and cross and be looking for the brake peddle when the left is to your left sense.

That's why there are more automatic accidents on our roads. You see a car with 2 peddles the right is to the accelerator and the left to the brake peddle and you decide this time to cross the right you have stationed on the right to keep the car in motion to now go and be doing another task. It is brain confusion.

I tell you, in case of anything the eye might miss in the visuals you are likely to think the right has gone to hit the brake when u are actually accelerating,trust me.
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by Omeiza100: 9:38am On Sep 15, 2021
I use one Leg cus I find it easier
However
Do whatever works for you ,don’t copy people
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by temmym4(m): 10:34am On Sep 15, 2021
Mpomia:
Look let's do a little thinking. It is wrong to drive with your 1leg in Automatic. It is so wrong and not safe and this is why.

When you are driving a car first of all what your eyes see educates you of what type of car you are driving because there is going to be a similation between the body and the car.

Now how is a manual made to tell u there are 3peddles, the one to your right is the acceralator control. To the middle from the right is the brake which is next to your psychological control which is the similation. Remember the right leg takes control and does not move until the machine must come to a slow or a stop.

Now your left leg does 2 jobs and it takes care of the brake and the clutch giving you a sense of division yet positioned in your negative side of brain which at this time is expected to do positive to the car in terms of how the machine should be running on the road. Your brains re opened to the road and the car.
And your eyes are picking visuals at a certain speed. In the MANUAL of course it only makes sense to station the right leg and use the left to control the speed but what you have forgotten is none of the legs crosses each other, so why use the same right leg stationed to the acceralator in the manual for moving the car and cross and be looking for the brake peddle when the left is to your left sense.

That's why there are more automatic accidents on our roads. You see a car with 2 peddles the right is to the accelerator and the left to the brake peddle and you decide this time to cross the right you have stationed on the right to keep the car in motion to now go and be doing another task. It is brain confusion.

I tell you, in case of anything the eye might miss in the visuals you are likely to think the right has gone to hit the brake when u are actually accelerating,trust me.

Firstly, this is a very old thread. Secondly, i dont want to say your post makes absolutely no sense bro, but please go through all you typed again. Please forgive me. Dont confuse others.

This is one good reason why some people insist you learn how to drive with manual tranny first so u could know and understand the basics as well as the professionalism in driving.

For every car you drive, be it Auto or manual tranny, there is only one thing in common...You are either MOVING or STOPPING.

The right leg goes to the throttle pedal (Moving) then returns to the brake pedal for stopping.

You only lift your left leg from the leg-rest unto the clutch pedal if u are driving a manual tranny.

No professional driver or tutor will ever teach u to put your left leg on brake pedal. None!

There is a reason why a LEG REST is built down there for the left leg while there is none for your right leg. Your right leg doesn't rest/stay idle, it's either throttling (moving) or braking (stopping).

Learn how to drive professionally first, they wont listen, now they are using left leg to match the brake pedal. Nightmare!

Imagine someone who matches the brake with the left foot coming to give professional advices on Nairaland Car session.

2 Likes

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by RZArecta(m): 8:35am On Sep 16, 2021
Mpomia:

I don't fûcking believe this undecided

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The 2015 Nigeria's Superbike Road Race / How To Obtain A Driving Learner's Permit In Nigeria / Reviewing The Lagos Rail Mass Transit Trains - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.