Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,091 members, 7,811,059 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:53 PM

One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? (26142 Views)

Driving Automatic Vehicles With Both Legs. / Q & A On Coasting In Neutral For Automatic Gear / How To Drive Automatic Vehicles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by 04kaa: 4:14pm On Dec 31, 2012
Ignorance is king in this thread. You can drive with 2 legs, one accelerator one for break. Dont let ignorant people confuse u

1 Like

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by Nobody: 4:36pm On Dec 31, 2012
cretin: well. not exactly true.i learnt on my own too, so use 2 legs......its even better and it keeps the 2 legs busy ..i hv been in close shaves a couple of times...and never slammed on the gas pedal in error, my brain has adapted to it.........tried unlearning it sometime ago, when peeps critisiced me...but never could unlearn.......so am living with it n loving it!! grin grin grin

Personally, I feel a lot safer using both legs to drive an auto trans car. My left foot is always ready on the breaks, so it improves my reaction time.
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by Nobody: 4:45pm On Dec 31, 2012
victorazy: dont try 2 legs or u die

Lol.... Yep! Driving manual says just one leg, driving instructor said use your right leg for gas and break, eyes and brain grin

I tried it one day and just got confused and hit the vehicle ahead of me ..... not funny.
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by bigtt76(f): 4:49pm On Dec 31, 2012
Are you driving an auto transmission car? Using 2 legs for an auto transmission car is like driving yourself to death. Beware!
BasseyJ:
Thanks for the prompt answer. I try to use the one legs now, but i kindof fumble and have to look down at times. Thanks again, i'll try harder now

2 Likes

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by Rastamann: 5:02pm On Dec 31, 2012
Anyhow you want it.
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by 1forall: 5:04pm On Dec 31, 2012
When people can just jump behind a steering wheel and begin to move cars around as there's no system regulating driver training on our roads, this is the kind of result we get. It's unimaginable that anyone would drive an auto transmission vehicle two-footed, talk less of arguing for it, and even go to the extent of claiming those advocating one footed auto driving are ignorant shocked

But then how would you blame such folk when the govt itself has failed its responsibility? And you wonder why there's so much danger & madness on our roads?

2 Likes

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by FlyboyZee: 5:16pm On Dec 31, 2012
This is a new one on me. Driving an auto-transmission car with both feet? Methinks the left leg is forbidden from crossing over to the right hand side of the steering column.

However you guys do that (driving an auto with both legs), I never thought it possible. Well, we learn everyday. Make I go look for my enemy car take try am. I hope I won't end up at Igbobi. Mu he he! mu he he he!! mu he he he he!!!
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by Mortiple(m): 5:18pm On Dec 31, 2012
I have just heard this for the first time that automatic car can be driven with two legs. I have always used one leg - my right leg.
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by Gogetta(m): 5:25pm On Dec 31, 2012
You only need your right leg.
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by Osyxcel(m): 5:36pm On Dec 31, 2012
roli21: i use 1 leg 4 manual so wats d big deal undecided

lwkmd....wen U turn God wey fit do d impossible?
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by chrysso83(m): 5:44pm On Dec 31, 2012
Using two legs for automatic kwa? No wonder people die on our roads every day. Thank God for d new frsc policy of test driving before issueing drivers licence, i wonder how unago take pass d test with two legs in an automatic car

1 Like

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by xeexee1: 5:44pm On Dec 31, 2012
All na wash!! Hw possible can one drive wit 2legs using automatic!! Its can b dangerous really! Use one leg 4 accelerating n brake pls!!!
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by Osyxcel(m): 5:46pm On Dec 31, 2012
Auto transmission was designed for one leg driving. D 1st tym I drove an auto, I drove perfectly wit jst one leg....it's adviceable U use a single leg for beta control & 2 avoid mistake....also d right leg has more power (for most ppl), this makes it easier 2 press d brake well....d right thing is a single leg for auto....jst do d right thing so Ur mind can b at rest.
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by etunoman76(m): 5:58pm On Dec 31, 2012
Never tried using both feet and I don't see the need, but got to confess that my left leg do cramp up sometimes cos of inactivity. I'm down with one leg any time
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by bamto(m): 6:11pm On Dec 31, 2012
Its advisable to use one leg for automatic cars whether you learnt with manual or not. Brakes and Accelerators are meant to be applied using the right foot, and that's why they are placed side by side. Only the clutch of manual cars should be applied using the left leg.
This is how manufacturers of cars have configured cars. Anything you do outside this is wrong. You may be getting away with it, it doesn't make it less right.
Think about it; if there were a driving training system in place as it exists in other sane climes, would this question have cropped up?

1 Like

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by yfirstson(m): 6:26pm On Dec 31, 2012
This is the most astonishing thing I've ever read. I can't even imagine it; driving auto with both legs? Accelerating and braking are two activities that are not supposed to be performed simultaneously, u should only do one @a time. In all car designs (Auto or manual), same single leg is supposed to be used for both accelerator and brake and the second leg for clutch where clutch is present.

No wonder GEJ said more accidents happen on good road, I don't pray being on the road with these 2 legged automatic car drivers. Chei!

1 Like

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by Nobody: 6:39pm On Dec 31, 2012
djeezy: You're right I get your point but I learnt with manual which requires two legs but when driving automatic I use one leg. It has always been like that for me.

Same here.
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by BasseyJ(m): 6:49pm On Dec 31, 2012
Thanks @everyone that have contributed. Reading the comments here, especially the guy that said ''use two legs and die!!'' ,i'm even afraid to drive again, but i'll continue sha. I've began training to not use my left leg when driving.
Thanks once again everyone
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by joinnow: 6:55pm On Dec 31, 2012
Pls for safety sake tie your left leg and use only the right leg. A friend bought an auto and becos of rush rush did not cool down to learn auto style of driving so on getting to a junction he slam on accelerator kill one bike man injure the kepkep spent almost 700k to solve the problem. So please if possible also belt your left leg an use only one leg whenever driving automatic

1 Like

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by 1forall: 7:28pm On Dec 31, 2012
joinnow: Pls for safety sake tie your left leg and use only the right leg. A friend bought an auto and becos of rush rush did not cool down to learn auto style of driving so on getting to a junction he slam on accelerator kill one bike man injure the kepkep spent almost 700k to solve the problem. So please if possible also belt your left leg an use only one leg whenever driving automatic

Did the bike man come back to life?

1 Like

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by waks1(m): 7:31pm On Dec 31, 2012
I kind of wonder how easy it is to drive with right leg for someone that uses left leg naturally, i mean for pple dat are just learning driving. Its not easy wit d right leg for a starter, wats ur take on dis?
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by pinkrex(m): 8:39pm On Dec 31, 2012
cretin: well. not exactly true.i learnt on my own too, so use 2 legs......its even better and it keeps the 2 legs busy ..i hv been in close shaves a couple of times...and never slammed on the gas pedal in error, my brain has adapted to it.........tried unlearning it sometime ago, when peeps critisiced me...but never could unlearn.......so am living with it n loving it!! grin grin grin
. It just cracks me to think of the use of an auto car.. After all, you still manual task your legs grin
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by dayokanu(m): 8:48pm On Dec 31, 2012
You can also use your hand
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by Nobody: 9:36pm On Dec 31, 2012
tpacalipse: I use my two legs to drive my car which is auto and I have been using my two legs for more than ten years. A coleague of mine saw me do it one day when I gave him a lift and he was like how do u do it? Aint it dangerous? I just ignored him. It is not meant to be done by everyone and if someone is daft, he or she shudnot try it.

This post got me laughing.
Well said jare!
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by joinnow: 10:08pm On Dec 31, 2012
1forall:

Did the bike man come back to life?
. No, the okadaman did not come back to life. the okadaman family /sariki and judge and police settlement to close the case and bury the death okada man.
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by Lexusgs430: 12:48am On Jan 01, 2013
04kaa: Ignorance is king in this thread. You can drive with 2 legs, one accelerator one for break. Dont let ignorant people confuse u

You are so wrong. You only need your right leg for automatic transmission. If you meant 'one for break ' meaning break a leg, that's cool. But if you meant to say 'one for brake', you are wrong!!!
On the lighter note, we know of left- handed people, what about left - legged people, do they control the pedals with their left leg?
A rhetorical question for thought!!!
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by emelu(m): 1:53am On Jan 01, 2013
Auto tranny is driven with one leg. Please save your life and those of your loved one.
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by manny4life(m): 3:23am On Jan 01, 2013
I use one leg for my own car, although when I feel weak in my right leg, I brake using the left leg and resume acceleration using the right. It's not something done often but once in a while. However, I ONLY drive with two legs (if at all) in the city, on the highway, it's one leg o. You can accidentally press brake instead of accelerate and vice versa, that makes huge difference on the highway. I've made such a silly mistake before because I was totally zoned out.
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by jaxxy(m): 5:26am On Jan 01, 2013
Let me clear d confusion here, whether u drive a manual or auto the right leg handle both accelerator and brake pedals, d left leg singly takes d clutch(manual) Never do u use d left leg 4 d brakes in anycase bt peeps who started wit manual like me r used 2 havin d left leg active hence used it 4 d brake wen driving auto bt I don't think it rite u can however adapt ur self 2 it(@ ur risk which depends on d expertise of d person 2 adapt) bt its nt d normal convention.

2 Likes

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by slim14(m): 8:11am On Jan 01, 2013
[/color][color=#006600]
Siena:

Dangerous. In an emergency situation, you could stamp on the gas pedal, instead of the brake. So yes, there's plenty of harm in driving the way you do.

In my humble opinion, I don't see it like a bad or harmful thing to drive with both legs 'cos since I've been driving auto am actually used to driving with both legs, infact I felt it is even better than to keep the other leg idle.
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by chucksbadt(m): 9:38am On Jan 01, 2013
i gotta admit.....am quite comfortable wiv 2 leg auto trans driving.....my brain has mastered it already......reali cant picture myself making any error in the near distant future

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Reliable Are Innoson Buses For Transport Business? / Bus Burning At Technoil Filling Station, Ojodu, Lagos (Photos) / The 2015 Nigeria's Superbike Road Race

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.