Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,261 members, 7,822,322 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:02 AM

Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? (23325 Views)

Why Do People Find It Awkward When I Dance Traditional Music / The Black Man: Unchained Libido And Its Wake Of Destruction. / The Black Man: Unchained Lust And Its Wake Of Distruction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by geezyk(m): 12:02pm On Jan 08, 2013
somalia9: i SAW the movie. I left half way into the movie. I was upset and angry that i could not have slaves. Why are black people walking around free? why i ask you why?

SLAVERY NEEDS TO COMEBACK.
[size=5]You must be the greatest fool to ever walk the face of the earth... From what you just said,you happen to have bagged that award ATTENTION SEEKING FOOL[/size]
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by khanivorous(f): 12:09pm On Jan 08, 2013
I don't know about u guys....am in nigeria..saw the movie yesterday....

TOTALLY AWESOME...
Why the hiphpo soundtrack at the scene where django gunned down those whiteys

And who remembers" D_jango, u are a m*****fker"

And he replies' hey, the 'D' is silent

By the way samuel " jackson was great "

I miss u like a baby misses the mama titties

1 Like

Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by Reptyle(m): 12:15pm On Jan 08, 2013
Saw the movie yesterday and I must confess it's one of the best Tarantino movie I have ever seen. I do not understand what the whole controversy was about the racial nature of the movie. I mean, this was a movie about the era of slave trade and everything that was depicted in the movie really happened to slaves in those days.

They were neutered at will, fed to dogs, made to wrestle bears and one another in blood sports for the entertainment of their white masters and YES! They were called NIGGERS and required to respond with a "Yessa Massa" when so called. There were also "Uncle Toms" like the character played so well by Samuel L. Jackson who sold their own out to the white slave owners.

All these were themes explored in the movie. From where then comes the angst expressed by Spike Lee and several other notable black icons about this movie?

1 Like

Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by khanivorous(f): 12:15pm On Jan 08, 2013
Excuse me SIR!
" Who is that nigga on the NEIIIIIIGHHH!!!"
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by KINGwax(m): 12:26pm On Jan 08, 2013
PhysicsQED:

Well, I didn't really get that feeling while I was watching it, but other people might have different feelings entirely.

I definitely don't regret seeing it though. I honestly thought it was the best movie I saw in 2012. Better than Bond, Looper, Total Recall, Argo, Flight or the Dark Knight Rises. I haven't seen The Master, The Hobbit or Lincoln though, but even if some of those are better overall movies, I still think Django would probably still be in the top 3.
seen vampire hunter? didnt see dt in 2012? The plot is too crazy
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by aglomar: 12:29pm On Jan 08, 2013
Reptyle: Saw the movie yesterday and I must confess it's one of the best Tarantino movie I have ever seen. I do not understand what the whole controversy was about the racial nature of the movie. I mean, this was a movie about the era of slave trade and everything that was depicted in the movie really happened to slaves in those days.

They were neutered at will, fed to dogs, made to wrestle bears and one another in blood sports for the entertainment of their white masters and YES! They were called NIGGERS and required to respond with a "Yessa Massa" when so called. There were also "Uncle Toms" like the character played so well by Samuel L. Jackson who sold their own out to the white slave owners.

All these were themes explored in the movie. From where then comes the angst expressed by Spike Lee and several other notable black icons about this movie?
You are right guy! Some people just can't face d truth.
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by coogar: 12:29pm On Jan 08, 2013
Reptyle: Saw the movie yesterday and I must confess it's one of the best Tarantino movie I have ever seen. I do not understand what the whole controversy was about the racial nature of the movie. I mean, this was a movie about the era of slave trade and everything that was depicted in the movie really happened to slaves in those days.

he rarely disappoints.....one of my best movie directors ever.
is the movie disrespectful to blacks? it's not disrespectful to me - these things did happen back then, what's wrong with someone telling the story how it was?
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by Moschino26(m): 1:00pm On Jan 08, 2013
Pls who can help with the download link of that film 'django unchained' asap undecided
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by Nutridor: 1:01pm On Jan 08, 2013
Django is a Quentin Tarantino movie. All his movies are always violent and weird. So not surprised of its controversy.
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by adewaleafolabi(m): 1:08pm On Jan 08, 2013
Saw the movie yesterday, It gave a clearer depiction of the horrors of slavery i read about.
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by bukahands(m): 1:18pm On Jan 08, 2013
Its a nice film that has received good reviews, read the motive behind d fim b4 u judge d director
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by coogar: 1:26pm On Jan 08, 2013
Moschino26: Pls who can help with the download link of that film 'django unchained' asap undecided

support the movie, go and watch it in a cinema.
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by Jonzingmaster(m): 1:34pm On Jan 08, 2013
am watching it now....#drinking tea and beans#
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by Moschino26(m): 2:08pm On Jan 08, 2013
coogar:

support the movie, go and watch it in a cinema.

Cinema huh, wen alaba dey. Bro na january we dey abeg.
Dont worry ℓ will get it 2mao.
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by 2legit2qwt: 2:10pm On Jan 08, 2013
Personally, Django was the best movie to come out in 2012, I'd never get the hype around SkyFall.

Inappropriate? I don't think so, this was never a feel good movie, it was meant to depict a dark era in African American history and I'd have been disappointed if it was "appropriate". Slavery was never appropriate to the sane mind, why would a movie portraying the story be appropriate?

Awkward? Well I saw the movie with a largely African American audience so it wasn't so much as awkward, definitely, some uncomfortable scenes. I'm guessing it'd have been different if there was a white guy next to me laughing at a "nigga" scene angry

The mask scene was hilarious, cracked me up and helped the uneasiness from the bloody scene.

Action packed movie, I like it cool
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by kbdrim(m): 2:13pm On Jan 08, 2013
somalia9:

Well those who are weak get enslaved. My ancestors in somalia had negroid slaves from tanzania, uganda, kenya, and ethiopia. We were never enslaved.

Even 1991 when the U.N. , USA, EUROPEAN UNION, came to somalia, we fought until the THE WORLD said ' these people will keep dying as long as we are on their soil' AND THEY LEFT. LMAO

YOUR THE ONE WHO HAS BEEN FAILED BY YOUR OWN ANCESTORS. EVERY WHERE YOU NEGROIDS ARE, YOU ARE SLAVES. SOMALIS OWNED YOU, ETHIOPIANS OWNED YOU, ARABS OWNED YOU, AMERICANS OWNED YOU, EUROPEANS OWNED YOU.

NEVER SAW AN ENTIRE GROUP OF PEOPLE WHO ARE SO SUBMISSIVE AND WEAK AND YET LOOK LIKE BODY BUILDERS. THAT FUFU IS NOTHING IF YOUR JUST GONNA RAISE YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR AND BE ENLSAVED.
Haha..This is the first time I am hearing of a proud Somalian...The only thing The world knows associated with somalia is refugees...some grand delusions you have there mate.

3 Likes

Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by phantom(m): 2:32pm On Jan 08, 2013
abeg make una free tarantino......na im way.its a 'quentin' thing.... grin grin grin grin **remembers pulp fiction**
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by Ignatio(m): 2:36pm On Jan 08, 2013
It seems most you have no history of Quentin Tarantino movies.

Moschino26: Pls who can help with the download link of that film 'django unchained' asap undecided

Go to the cinema.

1 Like

Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by Nautillus(m): 2:47pm On Jan 08, 2013
Saw it...liked it.

Shikenna.
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by Hunkyimage(m): 3:09pm On Jan 08, 2013
China_Made: blka peepel make big fuss over nword when nword no importance nword no matter
blka peepel need focus on revenue streams and economy blka peepel nword me no care
blka man make big deal bout nword but let pink lady call him slave during fukky sukky
which kind language be dis? Google no fit translate-am self,na wao...
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by Kk4(m): 3:34pm On Jan 08, 2013
PhysicsQED:

Well, I didn't really get that feeling while I was watching it, but other people might have different feelings entirely.

I definitely don't regret seeing it though. I honestly thought it was the best movie I saw in 2012. Better than Bond, Looper, Total Recall, Argo, Flight or the Dark Knight Rises. I haven't seen The Master, The Hobbit or Lincoln though, but even if some of those are better overall movies, I still think Django would probably still be in the top 3.
Mehn. U watch movies sha
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by tplacid: 3:51pm On Jan 08, 2013
I would really love this. In the spirit of hope Nigeria shall be great.
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by Symphony007: 3:58pm On Jan 08, 2013
Why are so guys so afraid of "race". You can't run from it nor hide it cause it existed and still does. What's wrong with the word negro? Martin lutter king always use it to describe himself and his fellow blacks. The film reminds people of the evils of the slave trade and i'm happy that grim part of history is'nt covered up. It should be there for the future to remenise on.
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by totalbaby(f): 4:17pm On Jan 08, 2013
grin grin
pleep: The movie actually said the N-word 110 times lol, i get the sense that tarantino gets a kick out of putting it in his movies. It actually was a pretty unique plot and actually a very entertaining movie but i abosoultly hate the director. All he does is make his movies as violent and controversial as possible to get ppl to watch them.. all spike lee is doing is giving him more shine.

Even the Lincoln movie said the N-word a couple times, its becoming more acceptable i guess. What makes it awkward is how all the white ppl start laughing when they hear it and all the black ppl get quiet and angry grin
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 4:22pm On Jan 08, 2013
pleep: however, i don't like how black ppl make such a big deal out of the N-word... its a bad look. We have more important issues to worry about

Niggu WORD!! grin grin
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jan 08, 2013
Steven(Samuel Jackson): I count six shots n**ga
Django(Jamie): I count two guns n**ga
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 4:23pm On Jan 08, 2013
I wonder why very few peeps complain when the N word i.e Niggurrr or Nigga or Niigoorh is used and the show keeps running .. but here is a one-time movie that probably won't have a remake and here we go again about the N word
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by totalbaby(f): 4:29pm On Jan 08, 2013
Black ppl can be hypocrites sometimes. They use the N word in music, movies etc like some kindaa fashion but let a white person try it then it"s a problem
pleep: however, i don't like how black ppl make such a big deal out of the N-word... its a bad look. We have more important issues to worry about
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by pharuk: 4:30pm On Jan 08, 2013
No jokes,
Django is one of the best movies I have seen in a long time.
From the sound track, script and performance.

I did black African history and did loads if research in people like Malcolm X, Luther king etc.

I so much appreciate this movie becaus Tarantino brought out that the true american culture before slave trade was abolished,

If u upset by the N word, I won't recommend watching it, I believe he wants to tell the story of black slavery to younger generation who are enjoying the fruits and proudly saying America is a free country.
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by Samxiulee: 5:34pm On Jan 08, 2013
Can we blacks get to worry about something better than being called a n.igger?its just a Latin word,meaning black!Arabs, Indians,and mongols are far more racist than white folks,so pls cut them some slacks,a with man fought for eradication of slavery,a white nation Great Britain financed and championed the crusade againt other nations involve in slave trade,a country went into civil war cause of slavery,us civil war,we need to give them some credit.
BTW most slaves were sold into slavery by their fellow blackmen,and its also a fact that,there are more black slave in the Arab world than others.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Opinion: Personalities Of An HAUSA/IGBO/YORUBA Man(the Good And Bad Sides) / Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. / Eze Ndigbo Title Remains Banned – Deji Of Akure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.