Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,294 members, 7,826,170 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:39 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (103) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (465064 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:38am On Jul 23, 2012

But what proved to be more controversia according to Mark, was the realisation that the desktop would have to change for this to work. ‘The old desktop’, he says, ‘would force your tablet or your phone into all kinds of crazy of funny postures.’

“So we said: Screw it. We’re going to move the desktop to where it needs to be for the future.”

This, he acknowledges, ’turned out to be a deeply unpopular process.’

‘Our Desktop Sucked’

Mark, like many at Canonical, both in the design team and out of it, were aware of the vocal “backlash” caused by switching to Unity from GNOME.

But one mistake Unity’s critics routinely made was in assuming that the desktop was cobbled together on a whim; Unity was, made cried, something that wasn’t built with users in mind.

The truth was the polar opposite.

“Every week we would get in a bunch of people …to benchmark how we’re doing. When we started this process we realised very quickly that the desktop we had four years ago sucked.” Shuttleworth shared.

“It was great for us; we all loved it. But [if] you put it down in front of anyone off the street …it was just terrible.”

By continually testing, refining, and iterating Unity has matured considerably in its few short years of existence. So much so that it is, in testing, shown to be the second easiest desktop to use after Windows, and ahead of the oft-lauded ‘simplicity’ of Mac OS.

‘Ubuntu is in an interesting position’

“So here we are in this interesting position,” he continues, “We have this [user experience] that’s really proving itself in the laboratory. People respond to it, they want to take the CDs home, etc.

Companies like ASUS, Dell, and Lenovo are shipping it in volume. Next year 5% of the worlds PCs will ship with Ubuntu pre-installed. Which is kind of amazing.”

Amazing indeed. But what of that ol’ rumour that Linux laptop/netbook returns are higher than for Windows?

“ASUS ran an experiment where they shipped half a million of them to Germany. not an easy market. And the return rates on Ubuntu were exactly the same as the return rates on Windows. Which is the key indicator for OEMs who are looking to do this.”

“Don’t want to end up like Windows 8″

So the UX is going down well with professionals and users alike – but was every aspect really necessary? Shuttleworth thinks so:

[size=16pt]“We [had to move] our desktop because if we didn’t we’d end up where Windows 8 is.

[In Windows 8] you have this shiny tablet interface, and you sit and you use then you press the wrong button then it slaps you in the face and Windows 7 is back. And then you think OK, this is familiar, so you’re kind of getting into it and whack [Windows 8 is back].”
[/size]

‘But [Ubuntu] is in this great position to spread out across all of the form factors. “

With Ubuntu for Android, Ubuntu Phone and Ubuntu TV attracting industry attention, and the Ubuntu OS set to ship on even more devices by years end, ‘great position’ is starting to seem like an understatement.

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 2:15pm On Jul 30, 2012
Hello guys

Something just occurred to me now.

with the advent of DVB-T in nigeria, Startimes and GOTV, what do you folks think is the possibility of hooking those stuff to our pc boxes and watching from the pc instead of the box directly?

or alternatively, buying a DVB-T Tuner and hooking it up?

you may think its an unnecessary exercise grin grin grin but for me, it has potential.

for one there are some apps in the software center that seem to be tailored for that

i.e TV Time, ME Tv etc. those allow you to record!!

but mostly for me is that i really like my HTPC running XBMC.

now with a large screen tv, a small pc running xbmc with a large hard drive, and a remote, xbmc is really sweet. top that with being able to add digital tv, you got a one-stop ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS ALL MEDIA way to spice up your living room, stream around the house etc.

plus you can do stuff simultaneously!!! the kinda shizzle DSTV ask you 100 k for , dual view, multi use etc.
you would be able to view multi channels at one on different tvs if i get it right.

personally i love xbmc, but i guess MYTH TV and some other stuff would do.

the thought got me salivating. startimes got scart output........... getting that thing to pipe signals to my htpc would be the ish.

plus i got a hunch if i got it to, id be able to bypass... grin grin grin grin

chai, no time on my hands sha....... but really i need ideas and input.

collaborative effort. if we get something like this off the ground its marketable o.

we can spin up a precooked distro primed for this type of ish.........

what do u guys think?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 5:36pm On Jul 30, 2012
i take it you have a tv card then, i don't see why not. talking of possibilities, you thinking stuff like recording programs tor instance?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:16pm On Jul 31, 2012
blackweaver: i take it you have a tv card then, i don't see why not. talking of possibilities, you thinking stuff like recording programs tor instance?

yes, recording programs, esp whilst watching anorther. possibility of dual view...... that kinda stuff.

what do you think??

BTW is it absolutely imperative i have a TV card? to pipe digital signals to the PC? its got DVI

my current HTPC tho old has some very funny multimedia card thingy going in it. lotss ports for all kinda stuff. DVI. many ports i dont really recognize.

i noticed the manufacturer listed a driver for TV output for it but when i try to install it gives some error thingy.

now the main reason why i actually never looked into it is because i figured there was no way to get signals to it anyway, and im not into dee-jaying grin grin grin

i was just reading NL yesterday when i had the "lightbulb" moment. my real challenge now is time!!

anyways i need input, esp if anyone has had any experience with this kinda thing. will make life a lot easier

BTW, XBMC is on another level now men!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 12:34pm On Aug 01, 2012
well anyone? oga 4ller here has some questions, if any of you has an answer it will be appreciated. unfortunately i neither have a digital tv receiver nor an hdmi/ tv out pc so i can't even test it for you, but i'm sure you've seen possible solutions for that kind of stuff online, perhaps not the nigerian ones
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:55pm On Aug 03, 2012
saw this online and thought id share. used it today

PROBLEM: Lets say you have set up your *buntu box. Now you want to backup all the installed deb files so that you can restore them quickly and efficiently.

this basically scans ALL installed deb packages (including those NOT installed through synaptic/apt) and downloads them to a local folder.

this will create the .deb files again from the apps that are installed Even if they were deleted using apt-get clean.

AptonCD does this but what prompted me to use this method was that I had done the sudo apt-get clean command which had erased all the files in the /var/cache/apt directory, rendering AptonCD useless (as all it does is take the files from there and put it in the list). So I find this method is more efficient, and easier for me to control!

$ sudo apt-get install dpkg-repack fakeroot

$ mkdir ~/dpkg-repack; cd ~/dpkg-repack

$ fakeroot -u dpkg-repack `dpkg --get-selections | grep install | cut -f1`

to restore you go to the directory after you copied the folder back and run

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

personally tho i just copy them int /var/cache/apt/archives

then i run sudo apt-get update

then try to install normally. or use synaptic. it picks up the packages and download the remaining dependencies or updates automagically and its all good!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by henryskywalker2003(m): 4:11am On Aug 06, 2012
Hi all. Thanks for the help you guys have given me in the past. Really grateful. Got anoda question though. A friend of mine recently installed ubuntu 12.04 on my insistence that he try it. He has a swift usb wireless router that he's been using on windows. The router doesn't seem to play very with linux. Have anyone sucessfully gotten it to work and if so, how?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by purplekayc(m): 10:35am On Aug 09, 2012
henryskywalker2003: Hi all. Thanks for the help you guys have given me in the past. Really grateful. Got anoda question though. A friend of mine recently installed ubuntu 12.04 on my insistence that he try it. He has a swift usb wireless router that he's been using on windows. The router doesn't seem to play very with linux. Have anyone sucessfully gotten it to work and if so, how?
May be swift wireless routers are not commpatable with linux you can ask him though
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 11:46am On Aug 11, 2012
@henry, i hope he dual booted his ubuntu with windows sha
like purplekayc said, the swift usb router doesn't work on linux, well actually it worked on ubuntu 9.04 but because the source code for the drivers is not available they haven't been able to integrate them into current linux kernels. one wy that can work is to install windows in a virtual machine (i use virtualbox) and then use the guest windows os to connect to the internet and share that internet connection with the linux host. of course that also means the linux host will be a bit slower, but that;'s the only way i've been able to get it to work
Re: Ubuntu Linux by hidon: 5:23pm On Aug 17, 2012
Hello House,

I am an expert in Linux, Unix and Solaris and can configure a windows and ubuntu linux system to a Mac OS Lion. My contact is 08023608328 and emailid : doimazona@yahoo.com

[quote author=Chxta]www.chxta..com

I am writing this because of Pekun at Interswitch for whom I installed Ubuntu Linux yesterday,

Ubuntu is a popular distribution of the Linux operating system which has acquired a wildly growing user base and I am one of them. Described as being Linux for Human Beings, Ubuntu is somewhere in between Mandriva (formerly Mandrake) and Fedora Core in terms of ease of use. Ubuntu has recently been awarded Best Distribution, and is rated as the top Linux distribution by Distrowatch.

Getting Ubuntu

The first thing you need to do if you are online, is to go to www.ubuntu.com/download. Go to the bottom of that page and select a download mirror. There are three downloads under Install CD. Download the ISO file that you need for your system. If you are not sure which one you need, it is very likely to be the one for x86 computers, that is for those of you that have PCs. I am not concerned about those who don't (hehehe). After you have completed downloading the ISO file, burn it to a CD as an image with your favorite burning utility such as Nero.

If on the other hand you have a bad lnk, and you have some time, you can order a CD by going to shipit.ubuntu.com, they would send you free copies of the latest version. I am using version 5.04, 5.10 is availabl

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 11:18pm On Aug 18, 2012
hidon: Hello House,

I am an expert in Linux, Unix and Solaris and can configure a windows and ubuntu linux system to a Mac OS Lion. My contact is 08023608328 and emailid : doimazona@yahoo.com

you DO realise that most of the people on this thread are pretty comfortable using linux

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:49am On Aug 22, 2012
angry angry angry angry
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:51am On Aug 22, 2012
hey whose online?

i booted my pc this morning and update manager signaled that there are updates available.

i didn't bother to check the change-log and just clicked update.

a few minutes later i take a look and see a whole bunch of KDE stuff being downloaded!!.

im spooked, i know for a fact that i do not have ANY KDE apps on this pc. none.

is this normal?

btw HOW DO I REVERSE THIS UPDATE IF I SUSPECT ITS NOT TO MY LIKING.? haven't done this in a looong time and i really cannot remember how to safely without breaking something.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Kbimz: 12:09pm On Aug 28, 2012
hello world, pls i forgot d password 2 ma ubunt linux os, ao can it b recovered and besides ao can i format it...pls i need a quick response
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 12:35pm On Aug 28, 2012
I just discovered how to find permanent solution to missing top panel in Ubuntu. There is no permanent solution yet. I would post it here when I have the chance to do so. I intended posting it on askubuntu.com but I am not having the time to do so since then.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 3:18pm On Aug 28, 2012
K_bimz: hello world, pls i forgot d password 2 ma ubunt linux os, ao can it b recovered and besides ao can i format it...pls i need a quick response

do you have an ubuntu livecd (or any linux livecd for that matter)? if so boot with the livecd
start up your terminal
type "sudo su" to become root
mount your ubuntu partition
chroot to your ubuntu partition (e.g. if your ubuntu partition is mounted on /media/ubuntu then type "chroot /media/ubuntu"
then change your password with the command "passwd <user>" there <user> is your username; e.g if your username is naira then type "passwd naira"
this will prompt you for your new password etc
exit and reboot
let me know if you have any troubles with this
Re: Ubuntu Linux by busybee001: 12:22pm On Aug 29, 2012
House!
Pls I have these requests:
1.) is there anyone here that lives in abuja and have the ubuntu 12.04 iso to share.
2.) nid to also know how to dual boot windows 7 and ubuntu.
Thanks.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:30pm On Aug 29, 2012
busybee001: House!
Pls I have these requests:
1.) is there anyone here that lives in abuja and have the ubuntu 12.04 iso to share.
2.) nid to also know how to dual boot windows 7 and ubuntu.
Thanks.

dualboot, ask google. their are tons of how-to info on it online
Re: Ubuntu Linux by DevotedOne(m): 9:02pm On Aug 30, 2012
hello world, pls i forgot d password 2 ma ubunt linux os, ao can it b recovered and besides ao can i format it...pls i need a quick response

I found this online:

If you have a dual-boot (Ubuntu is installed next to Windows, another Linux operating system, or Mac OS X; and you choose at boot time which operating system to boot into), the boot menu should appear without the need to hold down the Shift key.

From the boot menu, select recovery mode, which is usually the second boot option.
After you select recovery mode and wait for all the boot-up processes to finish, you'll be presented with a few options. In this case, you want the Drop to root shell prompt option so press the Down arrow to get to that option, and then press Enter to select it.

The root account is the ultimate administrator and can do anything to the Ubuntu installation (including erase it), so please be careful with what commands you enter in the root terminal.

In recent versions of Ubuntu, the filesystem is mounted as read-only, so you need to enter the follow command to get it to remount as read-write, which will allow you to make changes:
mount -o rw,remount /

If you have forgotten your username as well, type
ls /home
That's a lowercase L, by the way, not a capital i, in ls. You should then see a list of the users on your Ubuntu installation. In this case, I'm going to reset Susan Brownmiller's password.

To reset the password, type
passwd username
where username is the username you want to reset. In this case, I want to reset Susan's password, so I type
passwd susan

You'll then be prompted for a new password. When you type the password you will get no visual response acknowledging your typing. Your password is still being accepted. Just type the password and hit Enter when you're done. You'll be prompted to retype the password. Do so and hit Enter again.

Now the password should be reset. Type
exit
to return to the recovery menu.

After you get back to the recovery menu, select resume normal boot, and use Ubuntu as you normally would—only this time, you actually know the password!

Note:
Some people get freaked out about having recovery mode logging you in as root. For more information, read Recovery mode makes me root user. Isn't that a security risk?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:16am On Aug 31, 2012
http://www.webupd8.org/2012/08/install-adb-and-fastboot-android-tools.html#more

A package called "android-tools", which comes with "adb" and "fastboot" command line utilities, has been uploaded to the Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal repositories recently. I've got a request to upload this package in a PPA for older Ubuntu releases, so I've backported it to Ubuntu 12.04, 11.10 and 11.04.

"adb" (Android Debug Bridge) is a command line tool you can use to access the file system from an Android device; it can be used to send commands, transfer or receive files, install or uninstall applications and more.

"fastboot" is a command line tools that you can use to flash the filesystem on Android devices over USB.

These tools can be found in the Android SDK too; using the official package in Ubuntu 12.10 or the packages in our PPA is just an alternative and easier way I'd say, to install them in Ubuntu. Also, the packages in the PPA are available for both 32bit and 64bit, while the Android SDK provided by Google is only available for 32bit.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:18am On Aug 31, 2012
http://www.webupd8.org/2012/08/install-adb-and-fastboot-android-tools.html#more

Install "android-tools" package (adb and fastboot) in Ubuntu 12.04, 11.10 or 11.04

Like I've said above, android-tools is available in the official Ubuntu 12.10 [/b]repositories so all you have to do is search for it in Ubuntu Software Center and click the install button.

For Ubuntu [b]12.04,
11.10 and 11.04, you can install android-tools using the main WebUpd8 PPA:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot

Once installed, run "adb" and "fastboot" in a terminal to see the available options and how to use these Android tools.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 10:45am On Aug 31, 2012
@4llerbuntu

thanks for that...but if i crash my droid, i am coming for you! grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:12pm On Aug 31, 2012
i said adb and fastboot o grin grin grin grin

nuffin dey happen.

personally i used to download the whole SDK and start doing CD / bla bla bla. never got the hang of the PATH thing.

this was heavensent. now adb and fastboot is just another terminal command like sudo!

hoping someone does a proper multi purpose gui for android fones soon
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:57am On Sep 03, 2012
if you want to install programs in WINE now i suggest you use playonlinux.

its much better developed now.

plus it supports a larger number of apps these days.

makes it easier than struggling with WINE manually. it usually downloads the windows dependencies and the appropriate version of WINE most compatible for the app you want to run, so dont be surprised when it downloads like 4 different versions of WINE for different apps. its all automated and hidden from you anyway.

drawback is just that u have to start the apps thru the Playonlinux gui.

whisper it quietly too, but for some reason the apps i tried didnt need the activation key yadayada, eg MSWORD 2010. it just worked, no cracking, no activation, no key etc. grin grin tongue
hope MS don't discover this or someborry gonna sue someborry tongue
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 5:56am On Sep 06, 2012
4llerbuntu: if you want to install programs in WINE now i suggest you use playonlinux.
whisper it quietly too, but for some reason the apps i tried didnt need the activation key yadayada, eg MSWORD 2010. it just worked, no cracking, no activation, no key etc. grin grin tongue
hope MS don't discover this or someborry gonna sue someborry tongue

ole!!!

now if only i could be sure my swift wimax usb modem would work on it i woould jump in sharp sharp; unfortunately i don't think wine can resolve hardware driver issues
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:40am On Sep 07, 2012
nice app find

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/09/automate-ubuntu-with-cuttlefish

Automate Ubuntu With Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish allows you to create events that only happen under certain circumstances.

For example, I like to keep my audio muted as I don’t like system sound to be played out to me. However, I have Cuttlefish setup to automatically un-mute my sound when I open Rhythmbox or Totem Movie Player. Then when I exit either application, the sound is muted again.

Cuttlefish is very powerful in what it can do, you can do things like opening your browser when Ubuntu connects to your wireless LAN, or automatically lock your screen when a USB stick is unplugged (this is a great idea for computers in public places like in work).
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ciphoenix: 6:45pm On Sep 11, 2012
Good Evening Sires,
was experiencing this problem with my ubuntu 11.10(oneiric ocelot). I initially installed it using wubi, then after some time wanted to do a live install alongside windows 7. The install was smooth, but the problem came after restart. I get a screen with the message "grub rescue" and thats all. I seem to not be able to get past it. I would appreciate any help offered. Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:49pm On Sep 12, 2012
ciphoenix: Good Evening Sires,
was experiencing this problem with my ubuntu 11.10(oneiric ocelot). I initially installed it using wubi, then after some time wanted to do a live install alongside windows 7. The install was smooth, but the problem came after restart. I get a screen with the message "grub rescue" and thats all. I seem to not be able to get past it. I would appreciate any help offered. Thanks

You should have uninstalled the WUBI install first, before doing the hard drive install

[size=18pt]Solution[/size]

Tool required:

Live CD/USB of Ubuntu

Procedure:

* Boot using your live CD

* Select " Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer "

* Once you've login to desktop run Terminal ( Application > Accessories > Terminal )

* Change to root, using this [enter only red lines] command in Terminal:

[size=16pt]ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo -i[/size]
root@ubuntu:~#

* Find partition location of your Ubuntu:

[size=16pt]root@ubuntu:~# fdisk -l[/size]

example output:
Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x10031003

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 6374 51199123+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 6375 19457 105089197+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5 6375 11473 40957686 7 HPFS/NTFS
[size=16pt]/dev[b]/sda6[/b] 11474 19457 64131448+ 83 Linux <--- Here[/size]

* Create mount-point for ubuntu's partition

[size=16pt]root@ubuntu:~# mkdir /media/root[/size]

* Mount the partition using this line:

[size=16pt]root@ubuntu:~# mount /dev/sda6 /media/root[/size]

adapt tis to your allocation table the SDA.....

* Confirm your root location by typing this line:

[size=16pt]root@ubuntu:~# ls /media/root[/size]

example output
bin dev initrd.img lib32 media proc selinux tmp vmlinuz
boot etc initrd.img.old lib64 mnt root srv usr vmlinuz.old
cdrom home lib lost+found opt sbin sys var

if those line above appear, you may proceed by installing GRUB 2:

[size=16pt]root@ubuntu:~# sudo grub-install --root-directory=/media/root /dev/sda[/size]

it should give no error messages!!

* Reboot your system! remove the livecd!!!

No Windows ?
No worries,

* Boot to your ubuntu

* Run Terminal to update GRUB2 so that grub able to identify mount-point location for Windows. This can be done by typing this command in Terminal:

[size=16pt]ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo update-grub2[/size]

example output:
Generating grub.cfg ,
Found Debian background: apollo.tga
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-15-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-15-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Found Windows 7 (loader) on /dev/sda1
done

Try reboot again & you should be able to see Windows at Grub menu.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 9:02am On Sep 13, 2012
ciphoenix: Good Evening Sires,
If what the other dude stated above is too complicated for you then do this:

1. Boot to your live CD or USB.

2. Select 'Try Ubuntu without any change to your Computer'

3. Connect your system.

4. Press CTRL+ALT+T keys to enter terminal.

5. Copy and paste sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair && sudo apt-get update into terminal and press ENTER

6. copy and paste sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && boot-repair into terminal and press ENTER.

7. Boot repair will pop up. Choose recommended repair and wait for the grub to be repaired.

8. Restart your system without a live CD or USB .

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.