Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,659 members, 7,955,380 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 01:27 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (105) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (482411 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by ciphoenix: 2:24pm On Oct 10, 2012
vanchi: so what distro are u currently on @ciphoenix

i should give u a feedback on my update later today
Oneiric Ocelot
Re: Ubuntu Linux by vanchi(m): 5:52pm On Oct 10, 2012
all4naija: Thank you for the links.

The truth is that there is not typical guarantee for the use of Compizconfig in Ubuntu. I have solved some issue related to graphic with regard to use of the Compizconfig the solution was not available anywhere else. I can bet you there is problem with excessive use of it. Not only that, using it with care is always the best approach. I have used it for a very long time. People advices on the use through out many online Ubuntu communities are testaments to that.

However, it is up to you to heed this advice or come up with troubleshooting errors for us to address. I would be interested in the latter to have better understanding of Compizconfig and its related issues.

Thank you once again.

Are u interested in solving problems which u think I will have or u are praying for me to have problems so u can beat ur chest and say u solved it.. Don't understand. Tho I appreciate the concern
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 7:09pm On Oct 10, 2012
vanchi:

Are u interested in solving problems which u think I will have or u are praying for me to have problems so u can beat ur chest and say u solved it.. Don't understand. Tho I appreciate the concern
Lol@ your question.We learn from daily troubles to better find solutions. I am not in any way trying to do what you are insinuating in your question. However, the choice is still yours - either to use it carefully or do something else that will help us to have better idea of bugs in it.

On your don't-understand statement, it was a response prior to my former encounter with CompizConfig which you later posted some links almost disputing the idea of the unstable nature of using the utility in customizing your desktop.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 7:16pm On Oct 10, 2012
ciphoenix: Oneiric Ocelot
Aren't you going to upgrade to 'Precise Pangolin' 12.04? As we are expecting another upgrade in December 2012 or January-February 2013 from 12.04.1 LTS.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by ciphoenix: 11:50pm On Oct 10, 2012
all4naija: Aren't you going to upgrade to 'Precise Pangolin' 12.04? As we are expecting another upgrade in December 2012 or January-February 2013 from 12.04.1 LTS.
currently have a problem with my computer. 'll be upgrading to Quantal Quetzal after its resolved though
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 12:57am On Oct 13, 2012
Gnome 3.6 has just been released. Has anybody tried it yet?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 12:58am On Oct 13, 2012
ciphoenix: currently have a problem with my computer. 'll be upgrading to Quantal Quetzal after its resolved though
It will be released in a week time. They have already started sending out the DVDs of Quantal Quetzal.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:06pm On Oct 18, 2012
ITS RELEASE DAY.

WELCOME 12.10

been dist-upgrading my box, but no progress yet. as usual it will be tomorrow before i can hook up a dist-upgrade.
wonder why thats always the case for me.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 12:59pm On Oct 18, 2012
Is it today? OMG....this is the first time i forgot the release date!

Waiting patiently....I hope they have fixed the Enterprise WPA2/PSK connectivity issue...that what made me downgrade back to 11.10 from 12.04....i couldn't connect to the network at work.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ciphoenix: 4:46pm On Oct 18, 2012
Finally
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:10pm On Oct 18, 2012
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:17pm On Oct 18, 2012
tired of waiting for the servers to propagate wink wink wink

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 6:15pm On Oct 18, 2012
"Avoid the pain of Windows 8. The all-new Ubuntu 12.10 is out now."...

...really? thats the slogan on ubuntu.com! I personally don't like that coming directly from ubuntu.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 6:20pm On Oct 18, 2012
4llerbuntu: tired of waiting for the servers to propagate wink wink wink
Why wait for torrents/magnets? I've just downloaded it via http...Would install it once i get home and out of this darn traffic...firstly, on a USB though. Cant risk replacing my 11.10 and end up having the same connectivity issue i experienced with 12.04
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 6:46pm On Oct 18, 2012
Maleeq: "Avoid the pain of Windows 8. The all-new Ubuntu 12.10 is out now."...

...really? thats the slogan on ubuntu.com! I personally don't like that coming directly from ubuntu.

I agree with you on that one. It is poor marketing strategy!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 11:19pm On Oct 18, 2012
i'm a little low on data myself so i may wait a week or 2 before trying it out tho i think i'll try kubuntu this time - haven't yet taken to the unity thing

one question though, should i go 32-bit or 64-bit? My hardware supports 64bit but i'm not sure i'll be able to get all the packages i want in 64bit
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 11:49pm On Oct 18, 2012
I don't know where that 'Forget Windows 8" slogan is coming from. This is what is reality onwww.ubuntu.com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 5:18am On Oct 19, 2012
maybe they changed it after people complained - though i can imagine people still complaining about this after all not everyone has taken to unity
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:05am On Oct 19, 2012
actually i stopped the torrents and im upgrading my box. cost of 1 whopping gig, but honestly i have so many tweaks and config on the box that i cannot even remember where and how i got some of them.

will download the iso later for clean installs on other hardware.

BTW who has ever used OpenELEC? i need to know if its worth nuking my present vanilla XBMC install for.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 12:34pm On Oct 19, 2012
all4naija: I don't know where that 'Forget Windows 8" slogan is coming from. This is what is reality onwww.ubuntu.com
they changed it
lol
kinda surprised too that dey will go dat route undecided
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ciphoenix: 11:21pm On Oct 19, 2012
That time of year the ubuntu thread gets busy smiley
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:19pm On Oct 23, 2012
ciphoenix: That time of year the ubuntu thread gets busy smiley

not anymore these days. Ubuntu users are very light on NL. seems nobody has been preaching the gospel tongue tongue
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ciphoenix: 8:04pm On Oct 23, 2012
4llerbuntu:

not anymore these days. Ubuntu users are very light on NL. seems nobody has been preaching the gospel tongue tongue
we'll send you as a missionary to win converts cheesy
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 11:34pm On Oct 23, 2012
I have upgraded to Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal for about two days ago. It is not so much different from Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS (Precise Pangolin), just with more features and added information. I think I like it. I will be using while it lasts.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 6:17am On Oct 24, 2012
Trying my first Kubuntu install since kubuntu6; well it's not bad sha; now all i need to do is install my vm so i can fire up my guest os and use that as an internet gateway
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 2:03pm On Oct 25, 2012
blackweaver: Trying my first Kubuntu install since kubuntu6; well it's not bad sha; now all i need to do is install my vm so i can fire up my guest os and use that as an internet gateway
What kinda connectivity are you using? Indeed, using a virtual machine would slow the internet connection a bit.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by JohnHassen: 11:29am On Oct 26, 2012
Hello Community,

Ubuntu Linux automatically mounts portable hard drives, USB flash drives and other devices you insert into the computer. If you want to access the contents of an internal drive in the computer, it must first be mounted. The process of mounting a hard drive partition makes the contents of that partition accessible as a directory. Any program can access the contents of the hard drive by reading from or writing to the mount point on the computer. Ubuntu Linux is a full featured, free, easy to use operating system. It has a large user and developer base, which yields a large number of free download able applications. However, sometimes you need to use certain programs that exist only as Windows applications. Several options exist for running Windows programs on a Linux system. All the options involve either emulation or virtualisation programs, which one you pick will depend on your particular needs and system. Ubuntu is an open source, easy to use form of the Linux operating system.

Best Regards,
John Hassen wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 7:30am On Oct 27, 2012
all4naija: What kinda connectivity are you using? Indeed, using a virtual machine would slow the internet connection a bit.

swift usb; believe me i've done research; so far no way to get it to work on any linux version short of ubuntu9 so i just fire windows inside a vm and share the internet connection

(1) (2) (3) ... (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.