Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,809,987 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:21 PM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (106) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (463478 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) (109) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by vanchi(m): 8:51am On Oct 27, 2012
Guys I need help. Can any one suggest for me d best dock application I can use? Tried cairo dock n it messed up unity. Had to use ctrl alt F2 to reset unity and uninstall it
Just wanna add eyecandy cos I feel my cpu is being under utilised
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 4:18pm On Oct 27, 2012
vanchi: Guys I need help. Can any one suggest for me d best dock application I can use? Tried cairo dock n it messed up unity. Had to use ctrl alt F2 to reset unity and uninstall it
Just wanna add eyecandy cos I feel my cpu is being under utilised
I think Cairo dock is the best out there. But, one thing I don't like about it is the text displays at the top left-hand corner and poor icons resolution. It can also be drudgery customizing it to your satisfaction. If I am not using Cairo dock for those reasons I turn to Docky. It is simple,modestly what somebody would use when trying to customize the icons to your taste. Try Docky, although not as good as Cairo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by vanchi(m): 10:43pm On Oct 27, 2012
Actually I tried d cairo dock witout opengl and it really messed up my system. But I got avant and its really cool
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 5:11pm On Oct 28, 2012
vanchi: Actually I tried d cairo dock witout opengl and it really messed up my system. But I got avant and its really cool
Okay. You can as well try Kdocker on the Ubuntu Software Center or DockbarX from the Terminal : 1. sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8 2. sudo apt-get update 3. sudo apt-get install dockbarx dockbarx-themes-extra

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by ektbear: 2:18pm On Oct 30, 2012
I had KDE as my default window manager. Until I saw how much memory it is using even with no other programs open cry

Trying out XFCE (a much lighter WM) and so far happy with the results.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 3:43pm On Oct 30, 2012
ekt_bear: I had KDE as my default window manager. Until I saw how much memory it is using even with no other programs open cry

Trying out XFCE (a much lighter WM) and so far happy with the results.
XFCE being a lightweight Desktop Environment uses XFWM Window Manager is the most modest for some lightweight systems and relatively good on general hardware which don't require extreme undertakings. Its limitation is why I don't use it much, like in graphic, acceleration of other hardware,etc. Based on GTK+ like most Gnome is mouse-controlled and I don't find it very useful in most touchscreen PCs.

There are several window Managers out there but I can't actually point to any one that is best. Gnome, LKDE, XFCE, KDE,UDE, just to mention a few have their ups and downs. I am currently using KDE for good customizing!I also think it is very good for Debian based operating system.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 7:37pm On Oct 30, 2012

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:06am On Oct 31, 2012
pls why do u need an anti-virus?

and why do u post like an autobot? ekt bear has forgotten more about computers, programming etc than u ever learnt. go through his posts incase u doubt.

moreover from his post its really clear that he knows what WM is, different from what a DE is. which i can gather you dont anyway.

so whats with the textbook defines?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 9:22pm On Oct 31, 2012
4llerbuntu: pls why do u need an anti-virus?

and why do u post like an autobot? ekt bear has forgotten more about computers, programming etc than u ever learnt. go through his posts incase u doubt.

moreover from his post its really clear that he knows what WM is, different from what a DE is. which i can gather you dont anyway.

so whats with the textbook defines?
You are taking it out of context. This is the simple reason I always have beef with you on this thread. For Ekt_Bear saying he has used KDE and trying out XFCE means anything here to you. You are on your hallucinogen again, braggart.

Autobot you say? Please, steer clear of my comments if you don't have anything reasonable to contribute.
angry angry angry cry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:17am On Nov 01, 2012
Ogbeni you are boring us with your ITK

we have been keeping quiet but i have had enough, so im calling you out on it.

abeg abeg. na u sabi why u dey vex for my questions. either u answer them or you dont, bottomline stop posting like all those chinese guys that stumble on NL and say something random.

who wants to know if you know XFCE is, the guy says he tried XFCE, does that not mean he already knows what it is and what it looks like?

i no kuku abuse u, na question i ask!!

but incase u still dey vex, there is a transformer in your neighbourhood, one u can hug today tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 10:43pm On Nov 01, 2012
4llerbuntu: Ogbeni you are boring us with your ITK

we have been keeping quiet but i have had enough, so im calling you out on it.

abeg abeg. na u sabi why u dey vex for my questions. either u answer them or you dont, bottomline stop posting like all those chinese guys that stumble on NL and say something random.

who wants to know if you know XFCE is, the guy says he tried XFCE, does that not mean he already knows what it is and what it looks like?

i no kuku abuse u, na question i ask!!

but incase u still dey vex, there is a transformer in your neighbourhood, one u can hug today tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Dude, I don't understand what you just wrote. It would do us help if you can clarify me on what you just said!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:19am On Nov 02, 2012
ok, clarify i will

you are boring us with your I Too Know atitude

we have been keeping quiet about it on this thread but i have had enough, so im calling you out on it.

Bottomline is you should stop posting like all those chinese guys/bots that stumble on NL and say something random.

Who wants to know if you know what XFCE is? nobody

Ekt_bear said he tried XFCE, That means he already knows what it is and what it looks like

but just in case u don't like my calling you out on your attitude, i am very sure there is a transformer in your neighbourhood, one u can hug today. just give it a hug and french kiss
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 9:54pm On Nov 02, 2012
4llerbuntu: ok, clarify i will

you are boring us with your I Too Know atitude

we have been keeping quiet about it on this thread but i have had enough, so im calling you out on it.

Bottomline is you should stop posting like all those chinese guys/bots that stumble on NL and say something random.

Who wants to know if you know what XFCE is? nobody

Ekt_bear said he tried XFCE, That means he already knows what it is and what it looks like

but just in case u don't like my calling you out on your attitude, i am very sure there is a transformer in your neighbourhood, one u can hug today. just give it a hug and french kiss
Seriously, you are the one that is boring here. Can't you just ignore something you find distasteful? It is obvious you are being childish in your approach. Chines guys/bots?! lipsrsealed cry cry cry

The thread can only be encouraging when different views are aired. It could be in the form of review, suggestion, mere pointing out of something or contributing anything at all. Now I can see the reason the thread remains boring for that matter.

It beats me to the fact that the person in question is not even responding to my comment. However, let's just steer clear of each other's comments to keep the peace!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 11:18am On Nov 03, 2012
ok u guys i thought we were all on the same side, let all this bickerng stop

@4ller whether you mean to or not it seems like if you're attacking him, you could have passed your message across in a less offensive manner

@naija, bros i no go lie, that your reply:

all4naija: XFCE being a lightweight Desktop Environment uses XFWM Window Manager is the most modest for some lightweight systems and relatively good on general hardware which don't require extreme undertakings.

blah blah blah blah, (i've shortened it for brevity) anyway the thing resemble lecture.
I think the point 4ller was trying to make is that most of us here know what window managers are and the differences etc. you should just have made your recommendations listing your reasons (e.g. i prefer xxxwm because ...) instead of giving us the full history of WMs, basically your reply would have been more appropriate if it was a newbie asking for advice. Personally when i first saw the post i was like "na who be this **** who dey give us lecture" then i looked at the name of the poster and cooled down.

I hope you don't find my post offensive, i know you meant well but i feel you could have simplified matters. This part of your post: "I am current using KDE for good customizing!I also think it is very good for Debian based operating system." would have been enough.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 12:49pm On Nov 03, 2012
blackweaver: ok u guys i thought we were all on the same side, let all this bickerng stop

@4ller whether you mean to or not it seems like if you're attacking him, you could have passed your message across in a less offensive manner

@naija, bros i no go lie, that your reply:

blah blah blah blah, (i've shortened it for brevity) anyway the thing resemble lecture.
I think the point 4ller was trying to make is that most of us here know what window managers are and the differences etc. you should just have made your recommendations listing your reasons (e.g. i prefer xxxwm because ...) instead of giving us the full history of WMs, basically your reply would have been more appropriate if it was a newbie asking for advice. Personally when i first saw the post i was like "na who be this **** who dey give us lecture" then i looked at the name of the poster and cooled down.

I hope you don't find my post offensive, i know you meant well but i feel you could have simplified matters. This part of your post: "I am current using KDE for good customizing!I also think it is very good for Debian based operating system." would have been enough.

No! I don't find your post offensive at all. There are newbies coming to this site and it could as well serve the interest of world wide searchers, for anybody out there - that is the simple reason detail explanations are needed sometimes.

However, I am not trying to prove anything but just want to add something that might be useful to anybody out there who doesn't have much idea about it.

Thanks for your encouraging approach and I appreciate it very much.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by ciphoenix: 11:00pm On Nov 05, 2012
Please what IDE for C++ will you recommend? Something close to the Visual Studio experience on windows would be nice smiley
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:18am On Nov 06, 2012
A little bird says its Eclipse CDT.

Btw.who has used heimdall recently.? It keeps telling me my downloaded tar files are not good but wen i check d md5 sum of the archives they are good.

I really dont fancy this.idea of.having to look for a.windows.pc and setting up kies and android sdk just to flash my fone. I already did all that on ubuntu and it took some effort
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:32am On Nov 07, 2012
i FINALLY GOT THIS TO WORK!!!!!

DUNNO IF IT WILL WORK AGAIN IF I DISCONNECT IT BUT FOR NOW IM ENJOYING IT

JUST MAKE SURE U USE A CORRECT USB CABLE THAT CONNECTS TIGHTLY TO YOUR USB PORT

Reverse USB tether UBUNTU and android ICS

connect phone to PC/laptop via USB

turn on USB Tethering

network-manager auto configures usb0 as a client using phone as dhcp server

edit the usb0 connection in network-manager, change ipv4 settings ->method-> Shared to other computers.

it will start dhcp server, assume new ip address and configure bridge for you

now start "Reverse Tether pro" in your phone

it will configure phone as a client using PC/laptop as dhcp server, get ip and gateway

done

enjoy reverse internet via ur usb
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 5:05pm On Nov 08, 2012
4llerbuntu: i FINALLY GOT THIS TO WORK!!!!!

DUNNO IF IT WILL WORK AGAIN IF I DISCONNECT IT BUT FOR NOW IM ENJOYING IT

JUST MAKE SURE U USE A CORRECT USB CABLE THAT CONNECTS TIGHTLY TO YOUR USB PORT

Reverse USB tether UBUNTU and android ICS

connect phone to PC/laptop via USB

turn on USB Tethering

network-manager auto configures usb0 as a client using phone as dhcp server

edit the usb0 connection in network-manager, change ipv4 settings ->method-> Shared to other computers.

it will start dhcp server, assume new ip address and configure bridge for you

now start "Reverse Tether pro" in your phone

it will configure phone as a client using PC/laptop as dhcp server, get ip and gateway

done

enjoy reverse internet via ur usb
Hmmmm, this is interest. Lemme try it out!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:39pm On Nov 08, 2012
works. just uncheck data also under mobile networks before starting

one quirk i found, normally it shows up the 3G symbol when active, kinda like fooling your phone into thinking you are on 3G.

but for some reason im yet to understand, there are times its connected but wont bring out the symbol.
on my phone at such times some apps (most) work, whilst some will keep telling you there is no data. all Gapps and my browsers work fine sha, but like my torrent app wont work, and some other ones. im trying to figure out why
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 8:35pm On Nov 08, 2012
A quick one @4ller:

My droid, GS3, wont connect as MTP on ubuntu 11.10. I only get to access my phone's content via FTP. Any help?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:51am On Nov 09, 2012
Hunh? thats a strange one!!

here i am complaining about MTP connection and yours wont even connect

i dunno. id recommend a flash but that prolly wont work.
do u have MTP related packages installed on ur box? use synaptic to check

meanwhile try this

$ sudo apt-get install mtp-tools mtpfs

$ mkdir phone

Connect phone, set usb mode to MTP

$ sudo mtpfs -o allow_other phone

Trying to do anything with the new filesystem right now will take a minute or so, just be patient...

Finally, this should allow you to access your phone and do whatever.

remember to do this to remove

$ sudo umount phone
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:53am On Nov 09, 2012
meanwhile having thought about this some more i decided to check my phone (i use a Note) i can mount my phone this way

go to
Menu -> Settings -> Wireless and network -> USB utilities

2. Click on Connect Storage to PC

3. Connect the USB cable to your pc.

4. Click on Connect USB storage

5. Use your file manager to install/copy/paste.

6. Once finished, click on Disconnect storage from PC to disconnect and unmount drive from Ubuntu

is this not present on S3?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:58am On Nov 09, 2012
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 10:27am On Nov 09, 2012
4llerbuntu: Hunh? thats a strange one!!

here i am complaining about MTP connection and yours wont even connect

i dunno. id recommend a flash but that prolly wont work.
do u have MTP related packages installed on ur box? use synaptic to check

meanwhile try this

$ sudo apt-get install mtp-tools mtpfs

$ mkdir phone

Connect phone, set usb mode to MTP

$ sudo mtpfs -o allow_other phone

Trying to do anything with the new filesystem right now will take a minute or so, just be patient...

Finally, this should allow you to access your phone and do whatever.

remember to do this to remove

$ sudo umount phone
I keep getting this error message:

Error: Error stating file '/home/maleeq/phone': Transport endpoint is not connected
Please select another viewer and try again.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 10:29am On Nov 09, 2012
4llerbuntu: meanwhile having thought about this some more i decided to check my phone (i use a Note) i can mount my phone this way

go to
Menu -> Settings -> Wireless and network -> USB utilities

2. Click on Connect Storage to PC

3. Connect the USB cable to your pc.

4. Click on Connect USB storage

5. Use your file manager to install/copy/paste.

6. Once finished, click on Disconnect storage from PC to disconnect and unmount drive from Ubuntu

is this not present on S3?
Nope...Its missing. I only get to see the USB options when i connect one. And I have just two options:
1. Media Device (MTP)
2. Camera (PTP)
And neither works...
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 10:32am On Nov 09, 2012
4llerbuntu: you may also check this out : http://www.humans-enabled.com/2011/12/how-to-fix-samsung-galaxy-nexus-mtp.html
Checking it out....I would be back! #TerminatorStyle
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 5:12pm On Nov 09, 2012
E no work o!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:40pm On Nov 09, 2012
haha, this is surprising.

ok do u know i just noticed u said 11.10!!!

bro u for try upgrade naa grin grin grin grin

anyway, try install anything with MTP in it, use synaptic.

this thing opens up both internal and external sdcard on my 12.10 when i put it on PTP and MTP ever before today and i didnt ever install nada. im stuck o, cos i prolly have to replicate that ish to understand what the problem is.

BTW when you do lsusb is it detected in MTP mode?

further light reading search OMGUBUNTU AND WEBUPD8 there are articles there for nexus phones, sure they may be adapted
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 5:51pm On Nov 09, 2012
It shows up when i run lsusb, and then it pops up an error saying it "cant lock camera on device" bla bla bla.

I upgraded to 12.04 & 12.10...and then rolled back both instances...I've been having issues with my work place's WPA2/PSK enterprise security on the network. I connect to the network, pick up IP...and then ZILCH...i cant even ping the gateway. Zero traffic.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:10am On Nov 10, 2012
Yeah it always says that camera error thing but it opens two nautilus windows. 1 for internal sdcard another for external sdcard.

The only quirk is d external wont display the contents but you can copy and paste into it. U can access the external through the external sdcard folder in the internal nautilus window.

Maybe youshould consider using airdroid. Works really well and will access everything more convenient than a cable to be honest, all toy need is a Web browser
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 6:16am On Nov 11, 2012
4llerbuntu: Yeah it always says that camera error thing but it opens two nautilus windows. 1 for internal sdcard another for external sdcard.

The only quirk is d external wont display the contents but you can copy and paste into it. U can access the external through the external sdcard folder in the internal nautilus window.

Maybe youshould consider using airdroid. Works really well and will access everything more convenient than a cable to be honest, all toy need is a Web browser

yeahairdroid works, i've used it before

(1) (2) (3) ... (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) (109) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.